The Stone Prince

By enchantress213

the truth is, is that magic is real. magic exists. I know that sounds hard to believe. if I were you I would... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five

Chapter Three

5 1 0
By enchantress213

Christmas was somewhat a tense affair but as the week eased on the tension left and was replaced with a frenzy to get this house looking like Jay Gatsby's Mansion. All the Christmas decorations were put away and instead golden and silver baubles were put in their places. Every piece of silver was cleaned and polished and every plate was scrubbed without mercy. The chandeliers were dusted and the candles were all replaced. The carpets were thourghly washed and handpicked roses from Africa were imported to our home.

Daniel somehow got out of helping by insisting he had to head home to New York for the week, promising to be back for the party once all the work was done. So that left me alone with the Aunts. Aunt Lucille was usually home in the evenings but during the day she was out visiting with old friends. She offered to let me join but I declined. It felt much too awkward. So that left me alone with the vultures. Aunt Eleanor and Aunt Victoria took every opportunity they could get to torture me.

"Straighten up Rose" One would say "No man wants a hunch back"
"Smile rose" Another would comment "nobody wants to see a sad sally'

"Try wearing more fashionable clothing" They would both say "then maybe people would want to be around you more often"

I was nearly pulling out my hair.

My only refugee was the library. I could shut the giant mahogany doors and get lost in pride and prejudice. Jane Austen had such a way with words.

The statue still sat in the library, the crate now used as kindling. Grandfather had decided that it would grace our gardens in the spring, but for the time being his home would be in my haven. He was a welcome guest though. I even found myself taking to him sometimes, as strange as it seems. Then again he never whispered behind my back or laughed at my misfortunes.

Sometime I would walk in and talk about what horrors my Aunts had talked about as if we were good old friends "And then she had the audacity to say that I look like a hunchback, can you believe the nerve of her" I laughed

I didn't know why but his eyes had seemed to have gotten softer as the week went on and as I spent more time with him. I grabbed my book from a shelf and dove to the chair closest to him. "Ready to catch up on some Mr Darcy" I giggled opening the book and reading the words.

A short while later I hear Aunt Victoria call out my name and her shoes slap against the wooden floor. I rolled my eyes getting out of my chair and hiding behind a showcase. The door slammed open I could hear Aunt Victoria step inside, see her shoes through the legs of a chair. "She's not in here Eleanor" Victoria yelled.

"Check her room then."

I could hear the door slam shut and Aunt Victoria's footsteps fading into the background. I let out a sigh, standing up and fixing my skirt. I looked to the statue and back to the door and then back to the statue. With a smile, I grabbed my book and went back to reading.

~

The day of the ball came. Most of the preparations were done or could be handled by the staff. Of course, Grandfather didn't agree as he spent the day following around every maid shouting orders.

Aunt Eleanor and Victoria left awhile ago in order to grab their dresses from the city. Before leaving they had come into my room with arms full of makeup and brushes, pearls and diamonds. They kept trying to tell me how to do my hair and makeup, which accessories were popular and which were sophisticated. I eventually managed to push them out, only on the promise that I would take their advice. But once I put on the dress Grandfather bought me, I don't think that any advice would have helped.

The Dress was a dark mint green color. The skirt came to my knees and had 2 large pleats in the front. The sleeves were large and puffy, close to the size of my face. The neckline was straight and no necklace would compliment it. I looked like a bratty toddler.

Aunt Lucille knocked on my door, wanting to see the dress. She took one look at the thing and burst out laughing. Before long tears were streaming out of her eyes. "Mother would be rolling in her grave if she saw this tragedy," Aunt Lucille said "This Is why she never let your Grandfather dress himself"

"I almost wish Aunt Eleanor and Victoria were here," I said "They might be able to fix this"

"OH Honey" Aunt Lucille said "there is no fixing that monstrosity"

"The ball starts in a few hours," I said "what am I going to do"

"I might have a dress that you can wear. It's been hiding under my bed for years so no one can accuse you of borrowing it off of me"

Now I was curious. My aunt never bought a dress without wearing it at least once. She motioned for me to stay put and hurried out my room and down the hall. She came by a few minutes later with a white box covered in dust. She dusted the top off and opened the box pulling out a long white gown.

It was stunning, an ivory satin gown. The sleeves puffed out delicately at the top but then were tight around the wrist. The neckline had an elegant draping effect close to the neck and the back had tiny pearl buttons up and down the dress. The top was smaller with a cinched waist but the skits flared beautifully at the bottom with an elegant train.

"It's beautiful Aunty," I said "it reminds me of a wedding dress"

"It was one" Aunt Lucille said, allowing her fingers to stroke the material. "Never got worn though"

"Aunty," I said "did you almost get married"

"It was a long time ago," She said "I was young, traveling through Europe when I met a man in Italy. He was young adventurous and so handsome. He proposed on a gondola. I bought a dress, he bought a ring, and we found a priest. It was something out of the movies."

"What Happened?"

"Oh, nothing. I just realized that I didn't want to be married. Could you honestly see me settling down with anyone?"

"To be honest, no"

"See what I mean," Aunt Lucille said, taking the dress and putting it in my hands, "now go and try it on"

~

"Oh rose" Aunt Lucille cooed "you look like a princess"

The dress fit well, and the stitching didn't cause any itchiness. I had paired the dress with a pearl bracelet which looked elegant. But it was far too extravagant for me. It was a dress that a movie star would wear, not a clumsy 16 year old.

"It's nice," I said

"But"

"But it's a little too nice for me," I said "I mean look at me aunty, I'm not exactly like the stars in Hollywood"

Aunt Lucille looked at me for a moment before pulling out a tiny box from the pocket in her skirt. "I was going to give this to you for your birthday, but now seems like a better time."

She handed me the box. The outside was plush black velvet and the inside was white satin. And in the box amidst the white satin, there was a silver locket. The locket was an oval shape with roses etched into the medal. My aunt told me to open the locket, which I did.

"What do you see," She asked.

"My reflection" I answered honestly.

"Most people put a picture of those they love in a locket," Aunt Lucille said, grabbing the necklace out of my hand and fastened it on my neck "But I believe that you can't fully love anyone, until you learn to love yourself."

She stepped back, allowing me to see myself in the mirror, the locket completed the look. "When you can look at your reflection in that and see the strong beautiful young woman I see, then you can put someone's picture in that locket."

I thanked her for the dress and the locket and she helped me pull my hair into a French twist. She even helped me with my makeup, which consisted of a rosy blush and the red lipstick Aunt Eleanor had gotten me. I thanked her once more before heading downstairs to show him how I looked. He asked me where the dress he had gotten me had gone. I didn't have the heart to tell him how hideous it was; instead, I explained that it didn't fit. Over all, he gave me an approving nod. I then decided to head to the library next.

I Saw the stone prince and for some reason decided to give a small curtsey. I let out a giggle with the act. For some reason, if he was alive I could imagine him being this gentamanly person the kind that would compliment a girl

"OH your highness, you flatter me" I giggled again "I promise I'll save a dance for you later."

I saw a figure dash across the entrance. I was rooted to my spot for a minute before gingerly walking to the door. I peeked my head out of the door frame looking around the hallway.

It appeared to be no one around which made me relax slightly. I mean it was probably just my imagination playing a trick. That's all it could have been.

The caterers and servers all began to arrive around five pm. By then aunt Eleanor and Victoria were back and picking at my "out of style dress". Daniel had arrived from New York as well and was changing in his room. Another family, the Duvall's had arrived a couple of hours ago and were staying in the guest rooms. Apparently, Mr Duvall was a wealthy bank owner from New York with many connections for Daniel and a daughter my age. Oh, Joy.

Soon Guests began to arrive. Ambassadors and politicians, Entrepanuars and business men, artists and musicians from all over the country where filing into the ball room.

Grandfather and Aunt Victoria was greeting everyone as they came through, then Aunt Eleanor and Lucille made their grand entrance, then Daniel. Finally, it was my turn. I took a huge breath of air and grabbed the locket Aunt Lucille and given me. I straightened my back and held my head up high.

And with an exhale I began to descend the Grand staircase. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9 1 101
Time is non-existant in this world, what my be real on other planets is an illusion in this relm and almost everything is already invented but there...
2.6K 290 34
After carelessly promising to marry the king of monsters, Elle wakes up to find herself trapped in a kingdom of mythical creatures. Soon she discover...
169 16 15
๛ A international fairy was having fun in her free garden with her master to keep eyes on and take care until she fall into this trap to sent her far...
1.8K 302 20
A Loose Retelling of Beauty and the Beast A BEAUTIFUL WITCH. Bookish Myalah, the town beauty as well as its only living witch, has always wanted a wa...