Free Falling

By ladynicks24

Jessica has always put everyone's wishes in front of her own. She married at the age of nineteen to an older... More

Farm Life
Safe Haven
Are You Okay?
You Tell Me
That Is Final
New Light
A Shoulder To Lean On
Heartbroken
Book Club
She's You
Magnetic
Brighter Future
Encouragement
Who Is He?
So Strong
Radiant
I Love Her Too
You Will Lose
Welcome Home
Blessed

Faith

206 16 5
By ladynicks24

"No! This can't be happening!" Jessica sobbed as she held her belly.

Abigail had just hung up the phone with 911 and she rushed back to her mother.

"Mom, what's going on?" Abigail asked worriedly. Then Abigail looked at the puddle of water.
"My water broke!" Jessica said. "I can't have this baby yet. It's too early!"
"Mom, please calm down." Abigail said as she held her mother's hand. "It's going to be okay."

Jessica managed to sit up and lean against the bed. She breathed in and out through her contractions. She prayed that her baby would be okay.

A moment later, Shannon walked through the bedroom door. It was around the time that she usually came over to check on Jessica. Her eyes went wide as she saw Jessica sobbing on the floor, Phillip sulking in the corner of the room and Abigail trying to calm Jessica down.

"What's going on?" Shannon asked in a panic as she rushed over to Jessica.
"Mom's water broke." Abigail said in shaky voice, tears rolling down her cheeks. "The ambulance is on its way."
"Oh my goodness." Shannon said worriedly.

Both Shannon and Abigail stayed by Jessica's side, both trying to calm her down and just gave their support to her.

"When you can...please...call...call Sarah!" Jessica said to Shannon. "I need her by my side."
"Of course." Shannon said with a nod.

The paramedics finally arrived fifteen minutes later and checked Jessica over.

"Mrs. Anderson, we understand that you are eight months pregnant, but, your water broke and it's too late to try to stop the contractions." One paramedic said. "You are five centimeters dilated. This baby is coming."

Jessica just sobbed; she didn't want this to happen. Her baby would be one month early and she knew there was a risk to her baby's health. But, she had no choice at this point.

She looked at Phillip with so much anger and rage but she was unable to voice her feelings towards him at the moment. She closed her eyes and calmed herself down. She needed to concentrate on her baby now.

"I'm going to ride with my mother." Abigail told the paramedic as they wheeled Jessica on a stretcher out of the room. "Shannon, would you meet us at the hospital?" She asked Shannon.
"Yes. I'll be there shortly." Shannon replied. "I'm going to call Rick and Sarah then I'll be on my way."

Before leaving the room, Abigail turned to her father and said. "You better hope that mom's baby is okay. If he or she is not, then I will make sure you pay for hurting Mom and the baby!"

Phillip didn't even look at his daughter or reply. He just hung his head low in shame.

Abigail shook her head when Phillip didn't say anything. She just grabbed her purse and rushed outside to the ambulance.

Shannon was confused as to why Abigail threatened Phillip. She still didn't know what had happened and at the moment she couldn't worry about that.

She made her phone calls to Rick then Sarah. After that, Shannon made her way out of the house and she got into her car then she drove straight to the hospital. Rick said he would meet her there.

Sarah was at the library when Shannon called. She was in a panic and she quickly called Evan to let him know what was going on and that she would be by Jessica's side at the hospital. Sarah then called Danny. She was sure Jessica would want Danny by her side in a moment like this.

When Jessica arrived at the hospital, they took her straight into a hospital room that was already set up for her.

Dr. Porter had ordered to have the room ready and he rushed from his office to the hospital as soon as he heard Jessica was in labor.

Once they got Jessica settled into a hospital gown and fetal monitor, the nurses kept a close eye on Jessica's vitals and the baby's.

Dr. Porter asked what had happened to cause this and he checked Jessica over again. She was still at five centimeters and her contractions were strong and close together. Jessica didn't tell Dr. Porter exactly what had happened but that Phillip was the cause of it. It didn't take him long to figure out what happened. He saw Jessica's cheek that was still red from Phillip's slap. Dr. Porter was deeply disappointed in Phillip. He had known Phillip almost all his life and to know he was such a horrible person made his heart go out to Jessica and all she endured because of Phillip.

"Alright Jessica, your baby's vitals look good and at the moment, I'm not worried about them. You however, have a high blood pressure and from here on out, I need you to relax and calm down. I'm going to give you an epidural so you can get some rest." Dr. Porter said as he signaled to a nurse to get the epidural ready. "You need to save up all your strength and energy to deliver your baby safely."
"Thank you Neil." Jessica as she breathed in and out.
"Jessica...I have faith that everything is going to be okay." Dr. Porter said gently. "Don't you lose faith, okay?"

Jessica nodded and gave a small smile.

Dr. Porter then proceeded to give Jessica the epidural. Abigail held her hand and didn't leave her mother's side for anything.

All the guilt of treating her mother so badly all these years were catching up to her and tears formed in her eyes. She held them in, refusing to them them fall.

Here she was seeing her mother in pain, a pain she had never experienced or had seen anyone else experience. She hated to see her mother this way.

Dr. Porter and the nurses helped Jessica get settled into bed and they excused themselves to give Jessica some time to rest.

"I'm going to check in on you every hour." Dr. Porter said with a gentle smile. "Get some rest."

When Dr. Porter left the room, Jessica sighed in relief. She closed her eyes and sent a silent prayer up to the heavens that she and her baby would survive the delivery.

Once alone in the room, Abigail let her tears fall. She sat close by her mother and waited for everyone to arrive.

Jessica was calm now; she accepted the fact that her baby was on its way and she couldn't change it. All she could do now was follow doctors orders and remain calm to keep her blood pressure down and get some rest.

Jessica opened her eyes and wipe her tears away. She then placed one hand on her belly so she could enjoy the last few hours of feeling her baby move and kick from within.

She then turned her head and saw Abigail sitting on the chair that was close to her hospital bed.

"Abby, why are you crying?" Jessica asked gently.
Abigail sat up and moved closer to Jessica. She took Jessica's free hand and held onto it. "I'm so sorry mom for everything I put you through. For how I treated you. All the things I've said to you..." she sobbed. "Mom, I'm so so sorry. Please forgive me."
"Abigail, there is nothing to forgive." Jessica said as gently squeezed Abigail's hand. "You're grandmother was the one to plant the seed into your head that I was a bad woman. It's not your fault that she did that to you."
"But...but why didn't you defend yourself? Why didn't you tell me about Dad when you found out?" Abigail asked.
"Honey, I tried, but you wouldn't hear of it." Jessica said. "So I stopped trying to tell you I was innocent. As for your father, well, whatever was going on in our marriage was between him and I. I kept it to myself and didn't want to worry you and your brothers about it. Also, you love your father and you were always a daddy's girl. I didn't want to be cruel and ruin yours and his relationship."

Abigail just continued to sob silently; she wanted to make this right somehow.

"Abby, I love you." Jessica said. "Even though you hurt me with the way you treated me and said some really nasty things to me, I will always love you. Now, let's start over and move on. Let's leave the past in the past."
Abigail nodded and stood up to hug her mother. "I love you too, mom." She said.

They hugged for a moment longer then Abigail pulled away. She smiled and wiped her tears away. She then stared at her mother's belly and asked. "May I?"
Jessica nodded and guided Abigail's hand to her belly. "Enjoy it while you can." She chuckled.

Abigail felt her baby brother and sister kick and she wore a huge smile. She then got close to Jessica's belly and said. "Hi little one. I'm your big sister Abby. I just wanted to apologize for all the nasty things I have said about you. I...I just blinded by anger towards our mom which was totally wrong of me. I hope that you can forgive me too for not being there more with you and Mom. I can't wait to meet you."

Jessica smiled as happy tears rolled down her cheeks; she and her daughter were on the road to having a great relationship and her daughter was being loving towards her unborn sibling.

"Oh! I'll take that as a "Okay, Abby, I forgive you." kick." Abigail said with chuckle.
Jessica laughed a tired laugh.
Abigail noticed how tired her mother sounded. She looked up at Jessica and said. "Mom, get some rest. I'll let everyone know you are doing okay and that you are resting."
"Thanks sweetie." Jessica said as she closed her eyes for a moment. "Oh! Wait! I have should tell you about Danny. He and I have been seeing each other for the past few months. He makes me happy. I..."
"You don't have to explain Mom." Abigail said. "We can talk about that later, okay?"
Jessica smiled at Abigail then closed her eyes again.
Abigail gently squeezed Jessica's hand then left the room to let everyone know what was going on.

Abigail made her way down the hall to where the waiting room was located. She figured that everyone would be there waiting for news.

When she walked into the waiting room, she was met by Rick who was pacing, Shannon sitting and was looking out the window, Sarah and Danny sitting nervously as they waited for news about Jessica.

Sarah looked up and rushed over to Abigail. Everyone followed and waited for Abigail to speak.

"Mom's water broke." Abigail started off. "It's too late to stop the contractions so, now it's a waiting game. The baby should be born today."
"Oh my goodness!" Sarah said. "But, it's too early."
Abigail nodded sadly and said. "It is, but Dr. Porter is optimistic that Mom and the baby will be fine."
"What happened that caused this?" Rick asked worriedly. "She was doing so well?"

Abigail looked around and chewed the inside of her cheek before answering. She wasn't sure how much to tell.

"Dad caused this." Abigail said. "He and Mom were arguing and he...well, it doesn't matter now. Because of him, my baby brother or sister will be born a premie. Let's all just pray that everything will be okay." She sighed then asked. "Has anyone called John?"
"I did." Rick said. "He said he'll catch a red eye flight and be here as soon as he can."
Abigail nodded then said. "Mom is sleeping now but, if you all want, you all can come and be in the room with her."

Everyone nodded and followed Abigail into Jessica's room. Everyone was quiet and the only sound being heard was coming from the fetal monitor, the baby's heartbeat filling the room.

Danny was the last to walk into the room. He hesitated a bit, not sure if he should go in. He stopped then thought he should leave. He didn't want Jessica's children to be upset that he was there.

Danny was about to walk out when Abigail walked over to him. She had known who Danny was because their town was so small but hadn't ever spoke to him. She had wondered what he was doing there but, didn't take much to figure out after all she had learned that morning.

"Are you here for my Mom?" Abigail said. "Are...are you who my mother has been seeing?"

Danny grew more nervous; he had known Abigail to be quite intimidating and harsh from what he has heard from Jessica. He nodded slightly.

Abigail gave him a small smile and said. "It's okay. I'm not upset. You can come in and be with her. She needs all of our support right now."
Danny was surprised that Abigail was being warm towards him. He smiled and said, "Thank you."

Abigail guided him in and gave up her seat by her mother's bed. Danny sat down and gently held Jessica's hand.

Rick stared at Danny as he held Jessica's hand and grew angry. Why was this man holding his mother's hand?

Abigail saw Rick's reaction and said. "Rick, Shannon, let's go to the waiting room so I can fill you in on what happened."

Shannon guided Rick out of the room and followed Abigail towards the waiting room. The room was empty so they all took a seat.

"I was going to wait till John was here but, we'll just fill him in later." Abigail said.
"Abby, why the hell is Daniel Huston here?" Rick said. "And why the hell is he holding mom's hand?!"
"Rick, calm down." Abigail said.

Abigail then proceeded to tell Rick all that she had heard and saw. Rick grew angry at his father when he heard that he was cheating for the past ten years, had slapped his mother and was caught in the act of almost kicking her while she was on the ground.

Shannon was in shock and couldn't believe her father in law was so horrible.

"That bastard!" Rick balled up his fists and said and stood up. "What the fuck is wrong with him?! I'm gonna go up to the house and beat the..."
"Rick!" Abigail said as she put a hand on his shoulder. "Look, I would normally wouldn't stop you. But Mom needs us right now. So please, calm your ass down and sit!"

Rick huffed then sat down then bounced his knee nervously. "So...what's the deal with Daniel?"
"Well, Mom has been seeing him for the past few months." Abigail said. "We shouldn't be upset by that. Mom...Mom has always been a loyal wife and mother. Dad hasn't been the most loving person lately especially towards Mom. He's been horrible to her during this pregnancy. He calls the baby an it or a thing. I was blinded by the lies grandma Karen has told me. Now I know the truth. Mom found someone to love and someone who actually loves her. Daniel makes her happy. We should let him stay with her at this moment because Dad will for a fact not be by her side."

Rick takes a calming breath then nods his head. Shannon puts a gentle hand on his shoulder and he calms even more. Even though they have been having issues in their marriage due to infertility, Rick and Shannon really do love each other. Rick kissed Shannon and her lips then smiles a little. Shannon smiles back then they all agree to go back to Jessica's room.

When they walk into the room, they all take a seat and all present in the room stay silent.

Everyone sat around in their own world praying for Jessica and the baby.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 6.4K 30
Everyone thinks being the Preacher's daughter is so easy but let me tell you a little secret, it isn't. You have to be perfect all the time no matter...
593 12 19
Okay so here are the deats. We all know the saying, 'Don't judge a book by its cover.' So please don't do that to my book, okay? Okay. NEXT, just rea...
429 42 22
A true story. A girl and her life one chapter at a time. *** This story took a lot of courage to write you you all, but it shows a message that we sh...
1K 62 22
Wesley had always struggled with breaking away from his family's expectations, but now he's made a big decision that will change everything. He's fin...