Samsāra

Від DarianTeg

Love is enternal Love can overcome all obstacles Love can endure time, cycles of life Pure and fresh as ever ... Більше

Disclaimer
Announcement
Introduction
Cast
Book One: Ajiona
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Map
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Not a chapter
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Additional Characters
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Not a chapter
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Not a chapter
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Sixteen

134 8 5
Від DarianTeg

Yuvuraju Amarendra Bahubali was positively brimming with mischievous energy, his face, hair and clothes were streaked with colours, blue red yellow green, all as a result of various attacks from different people. The men with him were in the same boat, including the stoic Kattapa who opposed to carrying a music instrument unlike the other men Bahu had coerced into performing this rendition. He wore his usual shirt of mail, sword and plain dhoti, not one part of him was stained with colours.

Bahu hefted the dholak higher on his shoulder by the tooled leather strap. He let his fingers caress the sheesham shell of the drum and the cotton rope lacing. He had been practising with the men for a week now and while they were not spectacular, they were enough. Together with Kattapa they numbered twelve and all except Kattapa were eager to perform.

Before they knocked, Bahu looked back and asked Kattapa one last time. 'Māmayya, are you sure you won't like to play the Bansuri? Or even the pungi? Chimta? Veena? No?'

Kattapa opened his mouth to sound one last rebuke but the door's opening put a pause to his objection. Mekhala appeared in the portal, stained from head to toe with assorted colours. She giggled at the sight of them, raising a hand to muffle the sound and sketched a hasty bow for Bahu. Still smiling, she beckoned them in, closing the door after the men had strode in.

'Mekhala?' Ajiona's voice floated out to them from the balcony. 'Who was that?' She drifted into view, thoroughly and utterly stained with colour, her plain white clothes bore almost artful splotches and splashs of colours.

'Yuvuraju?' She said, her eyes taking in their instruments, a confused frown set between her brows. Bahu ignored her and instructed the men to set up. 'What's going on?'

That was the cue. Prashad began with the gethuvadyam, gently tapping on the strings with two bamboo sticks, then the Bansuri rose, and the Tampas and ektārā, and on until Bahu began beating his dholak. And then he sang:

'Nēnu oka am'māyitō prēmalō unnānu
lillī vale svacchamaina carmaṁ
Amsuka vaṇṭi nunupaina
āme mukhaṁ lōṭas vaṇṭi terucukuṇṭundi
āme navvu veyyi yud'dhālu cēyagaladu
āme pēru, āme pēru kaḷātmakaṅgā nōru kaṭṭivēstundi
āme navvu, āme navvu gaṇṭalu gaṇṭalu vaṇṭi dhvanulu
āme ṭac, āme ṭac nāku dvārā pulakarintalu pamputundi

Nēnu oka aphāsartō prēmalō unnānu
niṣid'dha kōrikalu okaṭi
sīkreṭ kōrikalu
āme juṭṭu, āme juṭṭu ḍaun paḍipōvaḍaṁ jalapātaṁ vaṇṭidi
āme vāyis āme vāyis tēne tō kavar drākṣa pēlavaccu vaṇṭidi
āme nrtyaṁ āme oka nāgupāmu seḍakṭiv ṭvin nrtyaṁ
āme naḍustunna nadilā kadilistundi
āme līpiṅg ḍū lāgā naḍavaḍaṁ naḍustundi.

Nēnu oka mahiḷatō prēmalō unnānu
dhrḍamaina mariyu oka marri ceṭṭu vaṇṭi cuṭṭumuṭṭi
prēma kaligi, nannu kappivēstundi
āme guṇḍe, āme guṇḍe balamaina ukku
āme padālu āme padālu oka īṭe vaṇṭi guccutundi
āme kaḷḷu āme kaḷḷu guṇḍe dvārā cūḍavaccu
āme kōsaṁ nā prēma nilakaḍalēnidi, samayaṁ vaṇṭi niluvarin̄calēnidi
āme kōsaṁ nā kōrika maidānaṁ, parvataṁ vaṇṭidi

Nēnu oka am'māyi, oka bālikatō prēmalō unnānu
ō apōsarātō nēnu prēmalō unnānu. Apsara
nēnu oka mahiḷa, oka strītō prēmalō unnānu
ēdainā kākuṇḍā...'

The song was a slow and steady one, relying on his vocal capability to take on high notes and trebling lows and Bahu was up to the task. The instruments added colour and flavour to the lyrics, painting a vivid picture. Ajiona took her seat, smiling and clapping along, her attendants sat around her laughing. Ajiona dipped her head to talk to Pragya and the girl rose and soon returned with her mistress' veena. Soon, she began playing along with them and her voice rose clear as water.

'Nēnu oka abbāyitō prēmalō unnānu
ē itara kākuṇḍā oka bāluḍu
atanu gumpu nuṇḍi dūraṅgā nilustundi
aspaṣṭaṅgā, andariki teliyadu
atanu kirīṭaṁ pondutārā? Atanu tana kōrikanu pondagalarā?
Atanu teliyadu, nāku teliyadu
kānī atanu ē itara kākuṇḍā

Nēnu oka vyaktitō prēmalō unnānu
ē dēva gā balaṅgā undi
ukku byāṇḍla vaṇṭi atani cētulu, śatruvulanu aṇicivēstāyi
kānī nā cuṭṭū vāru mēghālugā mrduvugā uṇṭāyi
atani kaḷḷu mōsaṁ dvārā cūstundi
atani nōru ē abad'dhānni māṭlāḍadu
atani guṇḍe svacchamainadi

Nēnu oka vyaktitō prēmalō unnānu
evari svaramu urumu capparamu
evaru gālini iṣṭapaḍutunnārō, gālini iṣṭapaḍutunnāḍu
atanu oka sinhaṁ vaṇṭi bhayaṅkaramaina undi
atanu sunnitamainavāḍu, atanu mrduvainavāḍu'

Their voices melded into each other until it was just one song. It wasn't at all cohesive but the song held until the end, pleasant to listen to and happy. When the songs ended they were both panting and smiling.

'Happy Rangwali Holi,' Bahu said chest heaving.

Ajiona's smile was groundbreaking. She stood up to meet him and tossed coloured powder into his face. Grinning impishly, she rubbed colour into his hair, mussing it.

*

Before sundown the rumour that Prince sang a love song to Ajiona Devi and she sang one back to him had spread like a wildfire. Sivagami Devi smiled when she heard it but Bhalla fumed. His fury coalesced in a single howling ball that blotted out everything, including what Bheema and Setupathi were talking about. The both were drunk on bhang and murmuring inanities that chafed on Bhalla's already raw nerves, not the words but the sound of their voice. He wanted silence so he could focus on his anger and the object of his rage. With much mental effort he tried to rein his anger in before it spiralled much out of control.

Last night Bhalla had danced with Ajiona till the fire burned down to smolders, his arms and legs ached from his actions but he didn't care. He was part of something and felt loss when she decided to retire for the night. The feel of her was vividly etched in his mind, her breathy laughter and the way she glowed in the firelight. Earlier today he had planned to visit her in her quarters but something stopped him, a churning sensation in his stomach and the tightening of his gut, he had felt curiously light headed and slightly nauseous. He took it as a sign that it would have been a disaster if he had gone, but now he regretted it fiercely. Bahu had gotten to her first. Bahu had crooned her a love song and she responded. He clenched his teeth and tried to banish the thoughts but the images of Ajiona and Bahu in amorous poses kept popping into mind.

A heavy hand on his shoulder brought him out of his thoughts and he glowered at Bheema. Bheema jerked his head in the direction of a shivering servant.

'Your brother and his troupe requests audience with you,' the servant said.

His rage rose at the mention of Bahu being at his doorstep. His first reaction was to ask the servant to dismiss him but he knew that would only make his pesky cousin-brother insistent so he acquiesced to the request. The servant scuttled away and a moment later, the troupe strode in, Prince Amarendra Bahubali leading them, coated from head to sandals in paint and carrying a dholak. The other men were coated with various colours too and each bearing various musical instruments.

'You aren't joining in the festivities anna?' Bahu asked. 'We've been going door to door since sun rise, singing to people, you are the last one we would sing to.'

'What makes you think I want to listen to you sing?' Bhalla demanded, his tone icy. He could spot Kattapa behind the painted troupe looking like an animated statue.

'No one though chelli made some adjustments to the song we are to perform for you.' Bahu responded.

Bhalla snapped into attention. Chelli, little sister. Was it Ajiona Bahu was referring to as chelli? Had Bhalla been wrong and there was nothing romantic going on between the two? Bahu was nauseatingly honest and wears his heart on the outside, if he has romantic designs towards Ajiona, he won't hide it or refer to her as little sister. Bhalla suddenly felt more tolerant towards his cousin-brother. He waved his hand for them to begin.

'Nā sōdaruḍu cālā mandi puruṣula kaṇṭē poḍavugā unnāḍu
āru aḍugula, ēḍu aḍugulu, tombhai aḍugula poḍavu
heyil bhalēdēva goppadi
grēṭ yōdhuḍu, maṇḍutunna śāstrālu mariyu āsṭrāsla vīlḍar,' Bahu sang, his voice sonorous.

Bhalla barely paid attention to the song as Bahu went through the verses, he was thinking of Ajiona. He was so immersed in his thoughts that he missed the message Ajiona had hoped he'd be looking out for. He did a double take but it was too late, fortunately, Bahu must have noticed his audience wasn't paying attention so he repeated the particular verse:

'Tana lēḍī prēma tana drsini kōsaṁ vēci undi
atanini alaṅkarincaṭāniki gulābīlu oka hāramu tō
gāli tō kūrukupōyē lōṭas tō kolanu dvārā
sūryāstamayanlō bāskeṭ...'

Bhalla could hardly wait for them to leave, Bahu must have noted his impatience with them as he barely dallied and said he would see him at dinner before retreating, he and his group striking up a lively song on the way out. Bheema and Sethupathi started to talk but Bhalla had had enough of their inane chatter so he asked to be left alone.

They were scarcely out the door when Bhalla began to pace, trying to decipher the message, if it was a message at all. He ran the lyrics through in his head again and decided it was indeed a message, Ajiona was waiting for him at the pool in the garden. It was almost sunset.

*

It was twilight. Neither day nor night. The sun had set a while ago and he still hadn't made his appearance. Ajiona stared at the stars that were out and wondered if he had gotten her message, or maybe he had and ignored it. Had she been too presumptuous? Maybe he didn't want to be friends with her? Maybe she had interpreted yesterday wrong? Ajiona sucked in a heavy breath and released it slowly. The warm breeze had turned cool. Soon she'll have to go inside to change her attire for something more festive for dinner. But she was loathe to change out of the paint splattered garment, Ajiona enjoyed today. It was wild,fulfilling and full of joy and excitement. She had enjoyed throwing paint at people, the songs and the dance, and the cheer and laughter and the way they had all felt equal. She wished today did not have to end. But sadly it did but before, she would have one last mischief. If he appeared.

Ajiona stared at the bowl covered with undyed cotton and smiled. She was still smiling when he appeared, his sandals shod feet barely making a sound. She looked up and her smile grew wider.

'I thought you weren't going to come,' she told him. 'Sit,' she patted the space beside her barely waiting for him to respond to her earlier comment. 'You didn't join in the festivities? Why?'

Bhalla looked at her, his face inscrutable, his eyes blank. Not for the first time, she felt that chill of fear but ignored it this time. She had promised to be his friend, sort of, he had seen her cry and she had heard his secret thoughts. That connected them, didn't it?

'It holds no pleasure for me. I heard Bahu sang you a love song.'

'Yes, and I sang one back.'

An emotion flashed across his face but it was gone before she could register it.

'Do you want me to sing you one?' Ajiona offered. 'I learned a lot of love songs today, as well as tales of battles, exploits and new dances.'

'No,' Bhalla said shortly but she didn't let his abrupt manner of speaking dampen her mood. His pristine cloth was a testament of his avoidance of today's festivities. Well not for long. Screwing up her courage, she uncovered the bowl and in one swift movement upended the content over his head.

Thick colourful liquid splashed down his head, his face, seeped into his clothes and crawled downwards. All the while, he was staring at her. Ajiona felt her heart seize as she wondered what his reaction would be. Would he explode in rage or laugh it off? The former seemed more plausible as she has never seen or heard or heard of him laugh or smile before. He did neither, just stared at her until she had to look away.

'There,' she said trying to infuse the cheer she suddenly did not feel anymore into her voice, she felt subdued and cold. 'Now you look like one of us.'

'Indeed,' was all he said and Ajiona could swear she heard something like amusement in his tone. The warmth began creeping out and she reached up to muss his hair.

Note.

Translation of Bahu's song to Ajiona

1 I'm in love with a girl
Skin as pure as Lily
As smooth as Amsuka
Her face opens up like a lotus
Her grin can end a thousand wars
Her name, her name artfully curls the mouth
Her laugh, her laugh sounds like the chimes of bells
Her touch, her touch sends thrills through me

2 I'm in love with an apsara
One of the forbidden desires
Secret passions
Her hair, her hair is like waterfall cascading down
Her voice her voice is like the burst of grape covered with honey
Her dance her dance the seductive twine of a cobra
She moves she moves like a running river
She walks she walks like a leaping doe

3 I'm in love with a woman
Sturdy and encompassing like a banyan tree
Encompassing love, overwhelms me
Her heart, her heart is as strong steel
Her words her words pierces like a spear
Her eyes her eyes can see through to the heart
My love for her is unstoppable, unstoppable as time
My desire for her is mighty, mighty as a mountain

4 I'm in love with a girl, a girl
Oh I'm in love with an apsara. apsara
I say I'm in love with a woman, a woman
A woman unlike any...

Translation to Ajiona's song

1 I'm in love with a boy
A boy unlike any other
He stands apart from the crowd
Unsure, unsure of it all
Would he get the crown? Would he get his desire?
He knows not, I know not
But he is unlike any other

2 I'm in love with a man
As strong as an any Deva
His arms like steel bands, crushing enemies
But around me they are as soft as the clouds
His eyes sees through deceit
His mouth speaks no falsehood
His heart is pure

3 I'm in love with a man
Whose voice is the clap of thunder
Who moves likes lightning, like wind
He is as ferocious as a lion
He is gentle, he is tender

Bahu's song to Bhalla

1 My brother stands taller than most men
Six feet, seven feet, ninety feet tall
Hail Bhalladeva the great
Great warrior, wielder of fiery shastras and Astras

2 His lady love waits for his attention
With a garland of roses to adorn him with
By the pool with lotuses drifting with the wind
Basking in the sunset...

Hey guys, this is just a filler chapter. I hope you like it. I think Ajiona's and Bhallaladeva's relationship is progressing albeit slowly. But no rush, there are still more chapters to go. Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter. Thank you.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

4.5K 218 9
Shivansh exclaimed,"I have been the devil ruling the hell throughout my life but she made me feel what it is to hold the heaven in my hands." ~ "Keep...
876 41 7
"Many times in history, the emperor had to come as a warrior to save his kingdom and prove his worth for the throne." ________________ A tale of a sp...
30.6K 1.5K 41
Tara is an orphan who lost her parents in a plane accident and is raised by her grandmother . She is a strong willed and sharp minded independent gir...
10.4K 833 23
. || सर्वस्यापि भवेद्धेतुः || 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓸𝓼𝓶𝓲𝓬 𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓸𝓷 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰; 𝓷𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓼 𝓻...