RWBY: Pale Heart

By LVonarch

(F/N) Light was by all accounts a smart kid, he was good at understanding how things worked but when it came... More

Chapter 1: Peers
Chapter 2: First Day Blues
Chapter 4: My Haven
Chapter 5: Jaded
Chapter 6: Going Downhill
Chapter 7: Et Moriar
Chapter 8: With Friends Like These
Chapter 9: To Set The Stone
Chapter 10: Close Calls
Chapter 11: The Devil On Your Shoulder
Chapter 12: Fail, Fall, And Fate
Chapter 13: Plucking Feathers
Chapter 14: All Things Must Die
Chapter 15: Dragons Never Die
Chapter 16: In The Beginning
Chapter 17: Passengers
Chapter 18: Grimm On A Train
Chapter 19: Cold Welcome
Chapter 20: Bergwerk
Chapter 21: Actions Speak
Chapter 22: Snow And Sand
Chapter 23: Hello Red
Chapter 24: The Darkness Inside

Chapter 3: Short Stay

7.2K 193 112
By LVonarch

(F/N) POV

After Ruby and I started dating I also got close to her team, when I wasn't avoiding Cardin or training with my team, I was hanging out with them. Weiss got closer to me and would eventually ask me out, Ruby wasn't keen on it but went with it. Then after one night of getting dragged out for drinks with Yang, who wanted to lay down ground rules for going out with her sister, we seemed to be going out. The only one on the team that didn't want to join in was Blake, and in all honesty I'm kind of thankful.

Even though it was somewhat hard to manage time with them, my team, and my project they all seemed supportive. I still felt somewhat out of place at Beacon, in team matches Auburn and Cyan did most of the damage while Lapis defended me, only a few times did my shots actually hit anyone in the arena and not nearly hit Auburn or Lapis. As for the progress on my weapon, S.A.R.A. proved to be a great help, at first glance you'd think she was just a prop astromech droid from Dust Wars. Thankfully she didn't want to take over the world, something that was joked about.

It seemed like we were getting closer to making The Cell, but we still faced challenges, after all it's not like you can make an ultra-hard, heat resistant, flying swarm of nanobots that respond to your thoughts and can turn into any weapon over night. More on my team, Auburn had started to open up, in fact the proof of this was when she stopped by the workshop when I was working late one night. She told me the only reason she was hard on me was because she didn't want me to get hurt, ever since she started talking more. Lapis still acted childish at times but was surprisingly dependable in a fight, and as for Cyan she essentially gained the role of team mom, which Lapis cheered much to Cyan's embarrassment.

My social status wasn't perfect though, I was still one of the weakest students at the school, even Jaune seemed to be improving better then I was. After he started standing up to Cardin the bully started focusing his attention more on me, he tried to get me to do his work for him but the reason he failed was because of my team stepping in. So if things weren't terrible then why was I leaving with my team at the end of the first quarter? Well there's two reasons I'll get to. I genuinely enjoyed my time with Ruby and the others, I didn't really have any friends back in my high school days, let alone girlfriends.

I remember clearly each first date, Ruby and I spent one day together watching movies, playing games, and eating cookies, which I learned quick were her favorite, especially chocolate chip. I was walking to Ruby's room with a scroll full of newly downloaded movies, and with a present for her. Knocking on the door I was met with the red cloaked wonder herself, we weren't alone in the room, Yang would never allow that. Blake was sitting on her bed reading while we set things up for the movie marathon, we started with action but made our way into horror.

Actor: "Nathan!" The boy is cut in two with a chainsaw, causing Ruby to grab me in fear.

(F/N): "It's okay Ruby, no chainsaw freak is going to go after you."

Ruby: "I'm not scared of him! I just don't like seeing people ripped in half." I pat her on the head.

(F/N): "Well if you don't want to see that, then I guess you don't want to play the new Mortal Ninja?" I load the game up from my scroll.

Ruby: "You didn't?!"

(F/N): "Come on, how about a few rounds?"

After my date with Ruby I thought I'd also do something with Weiss, I was not sure what she liked but I did think something romantic that would work. So I enlisted Cyan to help me, we were going to make a special dinner for just me and Weiss. We got into the storage room to grab the table and chairs, we brought them to the roof where I asked Weiss to meet me later. When she walked out onto the roof I played a romantic song and offered her a dance, even though I had no knowledge of how to dance.

Weiss: "So you wanted to dance?"

(F/N): "Well, not just dance. I thought we could get to know more about each other over dinner."

Weiss: "That's sounds nice, where may I ask is this dinner?"

Cyan: "That would be where I come in."

She said as she pushed the door open with her back, I walked Weiss over to the table, pulling out her chair for her. I sat across from her as Cyan placed our food on the table, the smell alone was mouth watering. Weiss seemed like she enjoyed it, at the very least she enjoyed the food, the small talk was a bit awkward if you ask me. The next day off Yang dragged me to the city to hang out, it wasn't the most proper date but after the first time she did this and laid down the ground rules about dating her sister, we ended up getting drinks and started going out.

Yang: "Come on there's a new karaoke bar opening up, it'll be fun." She dragged me by the arm out of the workout.

(F/N): "I just need five more minutes!"

Yang: "What? You don't want to yang out with me?" I let out a laugh and just gave in.

(F/N): "Fine, but if you get drunk I get to drive Bumblebee."

Yang: "Not going to happen."

We took a Bullhead to the city and went to the nearby garage, we got her motorcycle and headed out to the karaoke joint she talked about. Costumers ever given rooms to sing and drink in, I was nervous about singing but once Yang went up first I decided to give it a shot. I got up and selected a song that was just as lively and wild as the one Yang picked.

But all of those dates meant nothing, one night while I was working late with S.A.R.A. I thought it would be a nice surprise if I made them some late night treats, it was mostly different types of cookies but I thought they'd enjoy them. Once finished making them I walked to their dorm and heard what sounded like an argument, it was muffled so I placed my ear against the door.

Weiss: "-at least I'm not dating him out of pity."

Ruby: "Oh please, you're one to talk."

Blake: "Could you two please stop, you do this every other night."

Ruby: "Because every other day she's with Neptune, and I have to keep (F/N) away from her!"

Weiss: "Yes, because you care so much about him. Tell me, when were you or Yang going to correct this illusion he has that she's going out with him?"

Yang: "Hey we're going out! Just... not as a couple."

Weiss: "And he knows that?"

Blake: *sigh* "Just go to bed-" I knocked on the door, Weiss opened it to see the mute expression on my face.

(F/N): "We're through." I tossed the cookies to the floor and walked off.

Weiss: "Wait!" She ran in front of me. "I don't no how much you heard but please hear me out."

(F/N): "Fine, let's get this over with." I crossed my arms.

Weiss: "My father wants me to go out with Neptune but I don't want to, I-"

Ruby: "Liar!" Ruby ran in between us. "She's only dating you for your weapon!"

Weiss: "That's not true!" I look over to Blake, who walked into the hall with the rest of her team.

(F/N): "Who's telling the truth?"

Blake: "Ruby."

Weiss: "Blake!"

Blake: "Weiss started seeing Neptune a few weeks after you started dating." I look at Yang who avoided eye contact.

(F/N): "And you never saw us as anything?"

Yang: "I just... wasn't into having a relationship, but I enjoyed yanging with you." She tried to smile and sound playful with her pun, but when I didn't laugh she knew I was serious. I look back to Blake.

(F/N): "Goodnight Blake."

I left that night more angry then sad, hearing what Ruby said made me realize why Ozpin really let me into Beacon, just like Weiss he didn't care about me, he cared about my weapon. When I went to my teams room, Cyan was the first to notice the change in my appearance, the anger inside was starting to surface. Auburn came up to me and gave me her blade, telling me to take it out on the desk, but I didn't, I just stabbed it into the floor and told them I was going to leave Beacon.

Lapis: "That's not an option."

(F/N): "It's my choice, so it is an option."

Auburn: "She's right." She took her blade from the ground. "You have potential (F/N)."

(F/N): "You're just saying that because you want my weapon!" Smack. That's what Auburn did to me, Cyan and Lapis were dead silent.

Auburn: "I don't need that glorified tool. But WE need a leader, and we don't want a new one."

(F/N): "So you're using me either way."

Auburn: "If I wanted to use you I'd never want you to improve, to start standing on your own feet, so why don't you either put that bullshit aside or let it out?" I take a deep breath, I shouldn't have yelled at Auburn.

(F/N): "Weiss was just using me... Ozpin is just using me."

Auburn: "Are you going to take it laying down?"

(F/N): "No, but I need to get away from here... away from Ozpin and the others."

Cyan: "Well, we could transfer to other school." I nod.

(F/N): "That would do."

Lapis: "So... what happened?"

After telling them about RWBY they understood better why I wanted to leave, we went to bed, the next day we didn't go straight to class or Ozpin's office, instead we spent the early morning at the gym. When Yang stopped by I was sparing with Lapis, at least I was attempting to, she throws one mean left hook that's hard to dodge. I ignored Yang who only left when classes were about to start, when we were done we headed for Ozpin's office which was located at the top of Beacon Tower, we took the elevator up and found him sitting at his desk.

Ozpin: "Ah, team LLAC good morning, since you're not in class I take it you have something you wish to talk about."

(F/N): "We want to transfer to another school, Haven Academy."

Ozpin: "May I ask what brought this to be?"

(F/N): "I've been let down by too many people here. In other words this isn't the place for me."

Ozpin: "I see, well I can't stop you from leaving. If you really wish to I'll see if there's room at Haven and have the transfer papers finished by the end of the day."

(F/N): "Good. We want to be gone before the start of the second quarter." We left after that and while in the elevator I gave them orders, something I didn't do before. "Lapis, Cyan, head to class. Auburn you're coming with me to the workshop to retrieve S.A.R.A." Auburn looked at me and smirked.

Auburn: "Roger that leader."

Cyan: "Are you going to class after that?"

(F/N): "No, I'll need to have S.A.R.A checked for any tempering, then I'll destroy the hard copies of my work, blueprints, paper notes. Auburn will help me keep guard."

Cyan: "You think Ozpin would steal them?"

(F/N): "No, but I do think he'll make copies if he hasn't already."

Lapis: "If he did wouldn't that make destroying your stuff pointless?" I look at her with an annoyed look. "What?"

Auburn: "S.A.R.A. can connect to the CCT, meaning she could access anything connected to the mainframe. She can find Ozpin's copies and delete them. Once the hard copies and the digital copies are destroyed no one but (F/N) and S.A.R.A. will have the knowledge of the tech."

Lapis: "Oh... that sounds easy." The elevator stopped and opened.

(F/N): "It isn't... now make it to class."

So after we secured S.A.R.A. and brought everything to our room, Auburn sat around sharping her blade while I set up a computer and hooked S.A.R.A. up to it. While we waited I destroyed my notes and designs, once she was in it turned out there were copies of all my work, so I had S.A.R.A. replace all of it, giving them bad random data and random animal pictures. It was near the end of the day when we heard a knock at the door, Auburn readied her blade while I grabbed my rifle, I went over beside the door.

(F/N): "Who is it?"

Ruby: "(F/N)? It's me, Ruby." I let out an annoyed grunt, I put the gun on the table next to me and open the door.

(F/N): "What do you want?"

Ruby: "I um... was wondering why you weren't in class, is it about what happened?"

(F/N): "I'm leaving Beacon, what does that tell you?" She looked a mix of sad and shocked.

Ruby: "I-i didn't mean to-"

(F/N): "You didn't mean a lot of things, now go, I still have things to pack." I shut the door on her face and take my gun over to my bed.

Auburn: "I could see why you'd do that to Weiss, but why her?"

(F/N): "Because she could have been open about her feelings, they all could have been."

Auburn: "In relationships openness isn't always common."

(F/N): "Well it should be." I look over to S.A.R.A. "How's it going?"

Sara: "I finished editing all found files. Currently looking for anything that was missed or could be of importance."

Just as things seemed to be going fine, S.A.R.A. short circuited, I rushed over to see what was wrong and found her circuits completely fried. Auburn placed a hand on my shoulder, presumably to comfort me, I now needed to scrape S.A.R.A. before we left. When classes were over Lapis and Cyan started packing up their stuff, Ozpin sent me a message that an airship will be leaving for the kingdom of Mistral in a few days before the end of the quarter, so we waited. Before that day came I caught sight of it, Weiss and a blue haired guy, Neptune, I guessed that by the way she smiled when talking with him.

I ignored it and continued on with my business, my team and I has been skipping class to workout in the gym or train in some other way. It wasn't all lifting weights or running, Lapis trained my in hand-to-hand combat, Auburn taught me to wield a blade both of the long and short variety, and Cyan got us refreshments for our breaks, she would also bring books about Grimm for studying and assist Auburn in kicking my ass in a match. When the day finally came to leave I looked back at the academy I was once entranced with, I also saw a red cloak running my way.

Ruby: "Wait! (F/N) wait!" She quickly shortened the distance between us and her.

(F/N): "What is it Ruby?" She took out a small wrapped box the size of my palm.

Ruby: "Here... I thought it might help make things right." I removed the bow and opened it to find a thin chain necklace with a moonstone hanging from it. "I hope you at least like it." I look at Ruby and toss the necklace to her.

(F/N): "I don't need it, now if you'll excuse us we have an airship to catch."

We left Ruby there, she had a disappointed look on her face, she probably thought that was going to work. But the me I want to become can't be too willing to forgive, I have to learn when to forgive people, as it stands Ruby lied and kept secrets about why she was going out with me and about Weiss. Though unlike Weiss, Ruby and Yang are both a hundred times more forgivable, perhaps if we cross paths in the future we can be friends.

While on the airship I bumped into a green haired girl with dark skin. She apologized and disappeared, I bring it up because she slipped me a key which I didn't realize until I had put my hands in my pockets. It went to one of the storage lockers on the airship, and what I found inside shocked me. Whoever she was, she gave me everything I needed to create The Cell, I honestly don't care how she did it, or how insane some of the notes are, it could work.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 164 8
Y/N L/N isn't a fighter but rather a writer, during his time as a writing he struggled to find a story that would make a big hit. After a few years o...
346K 8.5K 46
(F/N) (L/N) is said to be old as Remnant itself, that is if you believe him and look passed his ten-year-old appearance. Truth is, he had his powers...
272K 6.4K 40
(F/N) doesn't remember where he came from, he doesn't even know anything about the world. Events get set in motion after Ozpin, Glynda, and Qrow find...
326K 4.3K 20
You were a huntsman-in-training and went to the infamous Beacon Academy. You were strong on your own, and you led a strong team with teammates who co...