Throwaway People

By JeffRains

A homeless couple find a abandon building and move into it. They adopt a street child and hide her from her... More

Death and Hope
Patty and Kitty
Patty and Jim
Rescued Kitty
Helping Kitty
Kitty Decides to Stay
You're Not Dirty
Understandings
Love?
Shiny Red Package
Your Name is Keyote
Little C. Gets a Gun
Discoveries
Thanksgiving
Bone Woman
Seduction in Retro Pink
Guilt and Harassment
Addicts
Keyote Goes Goth
Laundry Day
Wanagi
Confronting the Wanagi
The Coyote Spirit
The Slip
Things Fall Apart
Changing the Future
Beyond Stupid
Life Goes On
Wind of Fate
Stalkers
Confrontations
Priorities
Intruder
Turning Points
White Pickup
Dangerous Men
Conejita
Out of Darkness
Days Pass and Casa Sombrio Falls
She Has To Know We Love Her
Family
Crow and Keyote
Crow Watches and Listens
Discussion Night
Keyote and Winchinchalla
Christmas is Coming
Pain and Hate
Christmas Plans
Engagement
The Building Begins to Feed
Final Fates
Author's Notes

Solitary Crow Flies South

5 3 0
By JeffRains

December 19: Palm Beach International Airport, 8:00 AM Eastern Standard Time

Despite her namesake, Solitary Crow hadn't flown for years. Since 9/11 the experience had changed to the point that Crow was ready to rent a car and drive down to Florida. Joe had convinced Crow that it was quicker to fly. They had to move quickly in case the situation changed and this Patty and other Keyote moved on.

Sophia liked her Sioux name of Solitary Crow. It described her well. Crow traveled the Thornbrush Reservation looking for shiny objects to line her nest. To use in her creations. Jewelry, statues, vases, boxes, whatever she decided that the pieces could create. That was why Crow valued her solitude, so she could create in peace. If someone dared to violate that solitude they heard Crow squawk at them until they left. Crow was surprised her name hadn't been Noisy Solitary Crow.

Mai wouldn't have Crow take a public flight. Knowing that the contrary middle-aged woman would never make it to the plane without getting into a shouting match with airport security. Crow would have little patience and would be quite vocal with the wrong people. For that reason Mai had arranged for Crow to take a private jet. Something Crow appreciated.

It also allowed Crow to take her Father's military issue Browning 9mm. Crow had grown up on the Thornbrush Reservation. Her Father had taken her to hunt often. She knew how to fire rifles, pistols, shotguns, and automatic weapons. Her Father's old military piece was her favorite. It took an extended fifteen shot clip. She had stuck it into her rolling suitcase and there was no baggage check for private flights like hers. Crow had taken the weapon just in case, better to be ready for anything.

Crow had arrived at a small airport that had just recently started taking private jets. A Chang Ching Company Car waited for her. A SUV black standard with the snake-like green dragon that was the Chang Ching Company symbol on it's front doors. A Taiwan National Flag sticker was on the back window. Chinese symbols under the dragon logo spelled the company name.

A chauffeur in a black uniform opened the back hatch so that Crow could put her suitcase into the back. The door open and closed automatically. That irritated Crow. The Chauffeur wanted her to sit in the back, Crow insisted on driving. Until she looked at the confusing mass of buttons and other nonsense that people put in these kinds of vehicles. She slid over to the passenger seat so that the chauffeur could drive.

It was apparent that Florida was very different from South Dakota. It was a swamp. Hot and humid. Coming from cold and dry South Dakota to this climate was already causing Crow to sneeze. She'd have to dig into her medicines when she got to the hotel.

Lake Worth, Car lot on the corner of Military and 10th: 10:15 AM

A dark skinned, middle-aged, woman walked onto the car lot. She picked the oldest, most beat up vehicle on the lot. Jim watched a salesman make a bee-line to the woman who was dressed in worn jeans, a brightly colored purple shirt and a buckskin, beaded jacket. Her hair was pulled into a long, tight braid that fell just short of her ass.

Jim watched the woman wave off the salesman, who didn't take the visual cue as usual.

"I'll let you know when I need you." The woman had a harsh voice. She sounded irritated.

This didn't make the salesman happy. He went back to his air-conditioned office. Jim watched the woman examine the old Jeep. The canvas top was rotting, the paint was worn to the primer. All of the tires were new, though there were no hubcaps. Inside the seats were sun-baked, cracked and sealed with duct tape. Jim knew that the engine was rebuilt, it was like new.

"Would you like me to start it up for you?" Jim asked. He had just finished washing a new arrival to the lot. Only a new arrival, not a new car.

The woman turned towards Jim and opened her mouth to say something. She stopped herself. She nodded.

Jim opened the canvas door, the zipper stuck and he had to pull hard on it. Chances were he wouldn't be able to close it. Climbing in the hot interior, Jim started the vehicle. He had a few master keys that opened the door of every older used car on the lot.

"Open the hood." The woman said.

Jim climbed out and opened the hood for the woman. As the woman looked at the clean, new engine as it was running, Jim knew he had made the sale. Not that he would get the credit. The salesman from before was already headed out again. Jim closed the hood as he came up.

"I told you I would call you if I wanted you." The woman said firmly. Clearly agitated.

Jim knew the salesman. Rob was a vindictive little shit. Jim knew he would try to take out his frustration on him later in the day. Rob had tried that before, not realizing that Jim wouldn't take crap from him. That was when Rob tried more subtle means to take out his anger on Jim.

The woman introduced herself as Sophia. Jim shook her calloused firm hand. There was something familiar about the dark, broad face. Jim looked her up and down. The woman turned away from him and walked to the office.

Rob sat sullen, unhappy staring out the glass and metal door to the office. Sophia brushed Rob aside as she went into the office. Going over to Ralph, the other salesman. Tim the sales manager met Sophia halfway. There was a contentious conversation that Jim could not hear, but could see as all three waved their hands. Tim eventually guided Sophia to the desk. There was something familiar about the name.

11:01 AM Children's Shelter West Palm Beach

Sophia had bought the Jeep that the maintenance guy had started for her. Jim was on his name tag. Sophia had tipped him twenty dollars. After having an argument about who would sale her the Jeep the manager had conceded to just have her sign the papers for him. Sophia made sure that 'Robert' wasn't getting the commission from the sale. The little sycophant hadn't made the sale, Jim did and if anyone deserved the commission for it, it was him. A little extra cash and 'Tim' assured Sophia that Jim would get the sales commission.

Sophia drove to the address she had obtained from Joe before she had left South Dakota. The address came with instructions how to get there. Sophia called ahead and made an appointment with Maria Granja who was the woman in charge.

It was a two story, rather plain, undecorated building surrounded by a green lawn with a playground. Surrounded by a tall chain link fence. Inside was a warm appealing yellow walls, with brown trim. There was a main lobby. The yellow walls were decorated with flowery murals. The brown lobby chairs were worn and the end tables marred with scratches.

At one end of the lobby was a window. With no one in attendance. Sophia tried the door. It was open, she walked in. To see a hall with worn green carpet the same yellow walls with the same flowery murals. Fluorescent lights lit the hall from a white paneled ceiling. A woman in blue scrubs saw Sophia. A child clung to her leg. Another woman dressed in a blue business suit stood with a clipboard talked with the other woman.

"You! Girl?" Crow shouted.

"Can I help you?" Asked the woman with the girl connected to her leg. Who stared at Crow as if she planned to eat her.

"Not you, the other girl." Crow said. "The one in charge."

Maria looked at the severe looking woman who had walked into her shelter. "Can I help you, then?" She asked.

"I'm looking for Maria Granja." Crow said. "I have an appointment."

"You are looking for your niece. Keyote Whiteoaks. She isn't here, but I suspect I know where you can find her." Maria said. "We need to talk in my office."

12:05 PM Lake Worth

As Jim's mind obsessed over the familiarity of the woman. Who was she? Why did Jim seem to recognize her? What was it about her manner? Something about that coarse, deep voice. A rough version of Keyote's own voice. Jim suddenly stopped washing the car he was working on. That was where he recognized the woman from. She looked like Keyote.

"I need that woman's address." The others two office workers were on lunch break, they often went off together. Going down to the nearby Miami Grill. That left Rob in the office.

"Fuck you." Rob had no problem being disrespectful when no one saw him. "Against the law."

Rob sat behind his desk on an office chair leaning back staring at Jim. Thinking Jim wouldn't come around that desk and kick his ass. He was right. Jim wouldn't lose his job for that. He wouldn't leave marks on the bastard. That would just get Jim arrested. He had more important things to do.

"Rob I can make damn sure that every car you try to sale won't start. Every customer see you for the bastard you are." Jim said. "Now, the address of Sophia Rouvreblanc. Before I say screw it and just kick your ass."

"You wish." Rob said.

Jim went to Tim's desk. Used his password. Accessed the recent sales record. Rob shot out from behind his desk, but he was too late. Jim had the address at The Hilton, and Sophia's cell phone number. He simply walked around Rob, after switching off Tim's computer.

12:30 PM Lake Worth

Crow sat at the Lost Tea Shop with Maria watching Keyote play a beaten up guitar. Next to her was a white woman who played a beautiful Gibson similar to Crow's own guitar. Only it was a much older model. Keyote had a earthy voice much smoother than Crow's own voice. The white woman, Patty, had a county sound to her.

"Keyote needs to come back to San Francisco with me." Crow told Maria. "She can get the best counseling there."

"I thought you lived on the Thornbrush Indian Reservation." Maria said.

"I do. Mai, who adopted both Keyote and her sister lives in San Francisco. That is where she will get the very best counseling." Crow said. "The sooner she relocates the better it will be."

"My shelter has some of the best counselors in Florida. I've talked to them. Keyote has progressed further, with less complications than any of the girls presently in my shelter. Patty and Jim have accomplished this in a few weeks. What might have taken other counselors years."

"I just leave her here. She never gets to know her real family." Crow said. "We have waited six years. Kiona is flying back to San Francisco to see her again. Mai is putting off her work schedule to prepare for Keyote to come to San Francisco."

"You have been patient for six years. Wouldn't you like to have a happy, healthy Keyote, instead of one bitter and resentful that you took her from people she loves." Maria said. "She needs a transition period. Just meet with Patty and Jim. Is all I ask. You can take Keyote, but it's better if she leaves willingly."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.3K 1.4K 40
Twenty-year-old Claire must deceive a vampire prince to infiltrate the monarchy and discover their secrets while resisting her desire for him. --- No...
2K 60 21
𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐘 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 was constantly considered to be the burden, the mistake, and half-blood of the family. It took her sixteen years t...
100K 2.2K 28
After saving the world for the second time, y/n and her friendsthought that it's finally over. Little did y/n know, she would end up seeing her fathe...
351K 17.1K 74
Secret Plots.Cruel leaders and Vengeful exes.Halwright an all boys school opens it's doors to Benjamin Syre. He's quickly swept up into the commotion...