To Defy A Duke

By vickitickitoria

Lady Eliza Turner has no interest in finding herself a wealthy husband, she has her books, her best friend Ch... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Epilogue

Chapter 10

57.8K 2.5K 297
By vickitickitoria

Eliza surveys Harrington thoughtfully. After her impressive fight with Isabella, Harrington brought her into the dining room. The room has a long oak table with ten chairs neatly tucked under. One place is set for dinner while the others remain empty, there is a cabernet full of liquors and wine, more than Eliza can count, they are all inexpensive crystal bottles with glass tumblers by the side. The windows are covered in dust and the curtains are hanging limply.

"Eliza may I introduce you to my manservant Luis." Harrington introduces the servant from the yard who walks in.

"Luis, this is my fiance Lady Turner." Eliza shakes the man's hand vigorously to the surprise of both men.

"It is a pleasure to meet you." She says lightly as she drops her hand, remembering a lady doesn't shake hands with anyone let alone a servant.

"And you ma'am." Luis bows low, a smile on his withered face.

"Would you bring us some tea please?" Harrington asks as he pulls a chair out for Eliza.

"Of course sir." Luis bows to both before retreating from the room.

Eliza looks around at the room, avoiding eye contact at all costs. Harrington takes a seat opposite, he too avoids all looking at her but taps his foot on the ground. Eliza racks her brains for something suitable to discuss, having rarely conversed with any men before she struggles with what, to begin with, particularly as she knows almost nothing about him.

"Your house is dirty." She blurts out suddenly and claps a hand to her mouth in shock.

"I beg your pardon." Harrington didn't catch what she said so quickly.

"What I mean to say is why is your house a little....." Eliza grimaces and gestures to the murky windows and moth-eaten curtains.

"It doesn't bother me." She says quickly, "But I am wondering why."

"Oh this house hasn't been occupied in a long time, I grew up here but I left quickly as did my sister so no one has looked after it." He explains

"Your parents?" Eliza inquires.

"My mother moved up north with my sister and my father..." Harrington tails off darkly. "He died a few years ago."

Eliza can tell there is more to this story but decides against pushing the sensitive subject.

"Are you going to restore it?" She asks.

"That is up to you."

"What do you mean?" Eliza frowns, confused

"If you would like to live here after we are married then I will, of course, restore it."

"Where else would we live?" Eliza says flummoxed.

"I have several houses over England and Europe," Harrington says casually.

"Oh, I see." Eliza says a little overwhelmed, "I think it would be a waste not to restore this house."

"Then I will have it organised."

Luis walks in with a tray of tea and biscuits, he pours them both a cup and places milk and sugar on the table before leaving with a bow. Eliza taps her spoon on the side of the china cup after mixing in sugar and has a sip.

"So it is apparent to me you have no interest in clothes, that begs the question of what you do like?" Harrington says as he offers a shortbread.

"I like riding," Eliza replies as she munches on the buttery biscuit, "Books, especially Shakespeare."

"I too like his plays, what is your favourite? Romeo and Juliet?" Harrington eats his own biscuit.

Eliza shoots him a condescending look, "Of course you would presume that. My favourite is in fact, Macbeth."

"May I ask why?"

"You can ask and I will consider replying," Eliza answers smartly as she finishes the shortbread. Harrington raises his eyebrows intrigued and waves his hand for her to enlighten him.

"I adore Macbeth because it doesn't hide the lesser instincts of men and shows that women aren't side objects."

"But Lady Macbeth was a murderer." He frowns at her.

"Exactly," Eliza says like it is obviously. Harrington's befuddled face has her continuing.

"She accomplished what her husband could not, she was capable of more than him, she was more than his wife, of course, I do not aspire to be anything like her however she was an interdependent and clever woman which I admire. "

"I see your point."

Eliza smiles at that. Harrington has a warm feeling in his stomach no doubt caused by the blinding smile he is receiving, it lights up her entire face and her eyes seem to sparkle like emeralds.

"I have to ask." Harrington begins, "What did you say to Isabella, she looked terrified on her way out."

Eliza laughs a little.

"I only reminded her of a few incidents that she would rather not come to light."

"Oh indeed what sort of incidents?"

"Can you keep a secret?" Her eyes light up cheekily.

Harrington leans across the table. Eliza pushes herself up and places her mouth close to his ear.

"A few indecent affairs of the heart." She confesses smugly and she pulls away with a chuckle.

"Sneaky minx." He relaxes back into his chair.

"Hey!" Eliza places her cup on its saucer. He laughs at her affronted face.

"T'is a compliment."

"Oh it is, is it?" Eliza playfully glares at him and pouts moodily and he laughs again.

"Why wasn't I invited to this?!" James stands in the doorway, arms folded.

"James!" Eliza jumps to her feet. Harrington drops his grin and glowers at how easily she says his name and the happy smile that springs onto her face.

"Miss Eliza, a pleasure as always." James kisses her hand and takes the chair next to hers.

"James, you have arisen," Harrington comments drily.

"Indeed I heard your laughter and thought I must be dreaming so I had to investigate." James snags a shortbread and stuffs into his mouth.

"He never laughs." He says to Eliza, "Heart of stone this one."

Eliza smiles and looks sideways the Harrington, he laughed with her today though his face has turned grumpy now. The next half an hour is incredibly painful for Eliza, she tries to involve Harrington in conversation but all she got was a few grunts and one word answers not to mention the annoyed looks he kept sending her, the only saving grace was that James didn't stop talking. He is staying with Harrington for a season in London as he cannot abide staying with his sister and her awful husband but in reality, he was too drunk to go back to his own house.

"Thank you for the tea but I should return home." Eliza finally says pushing away her empty cup and rising to her feet.

"Why don't we accompany you?" James says fast, "We have the hunt to get to."

"Oh If you wish?" Eliza says to Harrington who doesn't look at her. Ah damn him then, he has been ignoring her despite her attempts to include him.

"Actually I would be delighted if you could accompany me, James." She said sweetly.

Harrington's head snaps around to look at the pair.

"Shall we Jasper?" James asks his friend who nods sourly and both men get to their feet.

James follows Eliza outside and to the stables, Harrington trails behind moodily. Captain stands tall when they all approach.

"Is that your horse?" James asks her as they get closer.

"Yes, his name is Captain." She says

"Captain? Strange name." James comments.

"It's short for Captain Shakespeare the third," Eliza explains.

"He's beautiful," Harrington says admiringly.

"Hey boy," Eliza whispers as she strokes Captain's nose lovingly. James moves to her shoulder and the horse stamps it's foot angrily at the new person.

"Woah, you need to stay back, he hates strangers," Eliza explains calming Captain and throwing an arm out to halt James.

Harrington watches Eliza calming her horse, the girl doesn't seem scared of the massive creature that could kill her but she strokes his neck and whispers in his ear.

"She's something else." James stands next to him and looks admiringly at Eliza.

"Hmm," Harrington grunts a response in reply, his good feeling vanishing.

"You need to sort yourself out, you barely spoke to her in the last half an hour." James remands.

Ignoring his friend, Harrington speaks to Eliza, "We will go to the stable, get our horses and meet you round the front in a few minutes."

Eliza watches the men disappear into the stable and lets out a sigh of relief. She unties Captain and leads him around the front of the house

"Harrington is being odd, he isn't talking to me but grunts," Eliza tells him as they stand together.

"Eurhhhhhh." Eliza groans and leans into Captain's warm neck, she breathes in the husky horse smell along with the sweet scent of straw.

"If he wishes to remain grumpy then he can, it is not my job to make him happy." She says to him, Captain snorts in agreement.

The sound of hooves has Eliza looking round as Harrington and James lead their own horse up to her. They have both put on boots and jackets.

Harrington's horse is a pure white steed that tosses it's head proudly. James has a smaller chestnut horse with a white face and socks. They both look well bred but seem nervous of Captain as he is bigger than both but not by much.

Harrington goes to help Eliza up but she places a foot in the stirrup and climbs up before he even gets to her side. James is on his horse and starts walking forward. Harrington grumbles something under his breath and mounts his own horse.

"Are you ready?" Eliza's face is pink with excitement.

"Yes," James replies smiling, Harrington grunts in response.

"Alright then." Eliza nudges Captain into a canter and they streak away from the men. Harrington and James look at each other in shock and then nudge their own steeds to follow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

474K 22K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...
521K 38.1K 46
Penniless and lacking the looks to attract a worthy husband, Jane Burton is forced to trick a man into marriage to save her family from an uncertain...
2.1K 34 4
princess georgiana, the granddaughter of queen charlotte, makes her third annual trip to london for the season since her unhappy marriage to a future...
189K 9.9K 33
They had been the best of friends since childhood. She knew that he secretly wore spectacles. He knew that she had once stolen all the wine for the...