Forbidden Law (An Alien Love...

By Wotchy

**COMPLETED FINALLY** . The last thing Skylar Brooks expected to bring home with her from the Thanksgiving ho... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Second Book Available

Chapter Twenty Eight

3K 168 17
By Wotchy

She didn't speak after that.

We wound our way through the tunnel, no light to lead the way. My eyes took in darker shapes that meant a step or wall, but I couldn't fathom that I was actually seeing that. Somewhere off to the left was the sound of running water, droplets hitting its' surface every so often from the ceiling. My brain cataloged these things like a new obsession. I couldn't quite focus on any one thing as I drew in calming breaths to focus. My limbs felt fluid and sure, but that was a contrast to what went on inside.

And then, up ahead, came soft light. It grew brighter and brighter, just as the clanging of metal came in sharp, quick succession. I thought of swords and shields from renaissance themed shows and movies, but that couldn't be right. We were lurched to the right as the ship rattled around us. Someone gasped.

"Everyone okay?" I asked, feeling for the wall. My other hand flew to the dagger, where it sat twisted into the waistband of my underwear.

"I think so," came the Nigerian woman's voice. With renewed urgency, we hurried forward. The lit doorway was only a few feet away when a flash of movement passed ahead, flicking in a blur of blue and orange. I almost paused. But a hand gently moved me along in a jolting contact of skin. Worry and deep sadness sucker punched my stomach. It was Lirah. When her hand left my skin, I was relieved. Those emotions were a cavernous pit of black that swirled in the chest; if we got out of this, I would try my best to help her, because no one should live with that.

Shaking my head clear, we broke through the threshold into chaos.

It was a battlefield, and it was raging in the hazy atmosphere of an enormous open meeting hall. Or that was what I guessed it was, but the Sharve didn't strike me as the...civilized type to hold such events. Blurred, bright figures fought the muddy shapes of the Sharve. The bright spots of color were disorienting as they suddenly tracked random paths to help another, or popped up, still and watching, ten feet away. They were the Morfilian, most wrapped in black sheaths of robe. But some were wild and exotic, with colorful mismatching pieces only meant to cover parts, but allow total freedom of movement.

It was breathtaking. Never in my life had I ever expected to see such a sight. My eyes followed the trajectory of one Morfilian, a man with pale hair and light blue skin who was aimed at a large Sharve that hunched towards a woman. She was cornered, weaponless, but had a determined tilt to her chin and an eery violet glow coming from her slanted eyes. She crouched, ready to pounce, but the Morfilian man gutted the Sharve an instant before. The long shimmering length of clear-silver metal protruded from where it's ribs would be. The resulting spray of brown-red splattered the ground at the woman's feet. He threw a small shard of metal to her and disappeared. A dagger. Her face twisted in revulsion at the sight of the dead body.

"We need to go!" Lirah said in alarm. "We have too many humans. And most of us are too weak still."

I nodded, glancing around for any other exits. The walls were too smooth, no windows or doors to speak of other than the one we had spilled from. Then my eye caught on something that crawled up the far wall: a ladder. I followed it up to the domed ceiling, where a hole cut a jagged clear hatch to...a room? I squinted. An escape pod, my mind whispered to me. I was sure of it. I pointed, and Lirah followed my gaze.

She nodded once and beckoned to the red-eyed man, who had already seen and still gripped the boy's hand. He said, "We need to get everyone up there. The formation needs to protect the humans and retain a strong line..."

I got distracted from their planning, my attention grabbed by the hulking onslaught of a Sharve. It towered over a Morfilian man in black, his body still and leaking dark blue liquid. Blood. The Sharve got up from its hunched slouch, a mangled hand dipping in the fresh liquid and sucking it off. Again, I imagined a glowing sand of essence flowing from the owner to the Sharve's black hole of a mouth. The Sharve's head waved from side to side, jutting forehead creating its own path as it assessed more prey. It caught on our group, sensing my attention.

My stomach twisted in disgust as I turned to Lirah. "I'll fight as many as I can, any that come at the group. No matter what, keep going, alright?"

Her eyes were fastened to my face, my cheek. My hand lifted to touch the skin, but it felt normal, although it was the side that was supposed to be scarred. "What?"

Her eyes slightly wide, she looked to my eyes. "You have a pattern on your skin. It is glowing. It is strange."

I sighed, shrugging. "Tell me something normal, and maybe I'll actually be surprised. Did you hear what I said to you?"

She nodded, taking a deep breath. She threw her gaze over her shoulder to the huddled bunch of captives. "Yes. Are you certain?"

"Yes. I have to, I'm the only one not weak." The dead calm laid over my insides like a blanket, settling the storm of panic, dread, and terror. I knew what I said was right; there was no way they'd make it if no one broke the protective circle, and if they did, it'd be bad news for the humans. I met the dark eyes of the boy. He was calm and watchful, but gave one nod and looked up at the man.

"Okay, let's do this," I said, turning back to the Sharve. It was now about ten feet away, a wrath weeding it's way to us through the melee. Howls and gurgles filled the air, accompanied by sprays of different colored blood and cloth. The floor was as slick as an oil pit. I drew my dagger and took a foreign fighting stance as it drew close.

"Go," I growled. "Now."

As a unit, the group moved forward as I did. The Sharve lunged at me, a loud snarl ripping from its throat. The gray rag that covered it's junk fluttered and fell. Eyes burning from the image, I swiped my blade at the throat. It hissed and stepped back, an arm flinging my arm away. Again, I jabbed. It caught the thing's side, but bounced away after hitting something hard and unyielding.

"Little half breed," it crowed. "You will be the best prize yet."

"Fuck off," I seethed. That phrase was getting old, and I was sure it wouldn't be the last I would hear it. A burning trail ran up my spine, lifting the hairs on the back of my neck and arms. Somewhere close, a boom resounded and rocked the room. The Sharve took advantage of my vulnerable pose and launched an all out attack. A talon caught me on the cheek. Blows rained down on my skin, but I felt little pain. Gritting my teeth, I pushed forward as I buckled to one knee. My hands ended up on it's chest somehow, and I pushed an imaginary barrier out. And naturally, surprising myself, a clear shield of power burst forth, throwing it's weight backwards. It slammed into the curved wall about twenty feet away, a snapping crack filling the air. But it didn't compare to the riotous cacophony surrounding us.

"Good!" Lirah shouted. The group moved forward as I breathed hard, brushing hair from my face. The red-eyed man's brows were furrowed and analyzing, watching me with a tilted head. But the boys' face was alight with triumph. He grinned at me with a missing front tooth. I couldn't help but reciprocate.

But then I was knocked aside as a Morfilian backed into me. It was the man with light hair and blue skin. His eyes were a pale yellow also, and their light shone angry and determined as he crouched and launched at the two Sharves attacking him. Gripping my bejeweled dagger, I crept forward, angling to the side as one creature kicked the Morfilian's shin with a spiked toe. A sharp intake of breath made the two attackers cackle and click with excitement.

My dagger arced down before my eyes, a blue glow lighting the metal. My hand was steady and crackling with energy as it struck home: the target was the spine and back. It plunged deep, and the Sharve screamed a gurgle of agony. It fell to the side, black mouth hanging open as I shook my hand out. Red-brown drops flicked off and I wiped the rest on the makeshift dress. My victory was short lived as I turned to the next Sharve, who had the Morfilian warrior's neck in it's clawed hand. Blue blood was welling around the sharp ends of the talons where they pierced the delicate skin.

He was staring at me, eyes blank. I jabbed my slick blade at the Sharve's arm, but it side stepped and clicked a guttural laugh. The Morfilian lifted a hand and white fire spread from his palm, traveling up the other alien's arm and past the misshapen shoulder. It smoked and squealed as it slammed his body to the floor, flat on his back. Then raised it's other arm to strike.

My ears roaring, sudden excitement filling my blood, I raised my hands to interlock fingers. Palms facing out, I closed my eyes. I felt that excitement concentrate down to a stream that flowed down and out through my hands. It blasted the Sharve, a giant hole appearing through it's chest. Obliterated. The remains fell with a wet squish.

Then I stopped and stared at my hands. Oh my God.

What was I doing? Killing. Killing without thinking, no remorse or hesitation even making an inch into my awareness. Literally obliterating. Incinerating. The rational part of me knew this was wrong, but the other part shrugged and reasoned that they were killers also, and that they would gladly gut me the same as I'd done to them. They had tortured me, kept the Morfilians and humans hostage in a veggie state, for who knew how long. For later consumption? Probably. I breathed in a slow breath to ease the increasing tension balling in my belly.

"Who are you?"

The deep voice came from in front of me. I looked up, meeting the glowing yellow eyes of the black-clad warrior. His expression was mostly neutral, but I could taste a sense of weariness coming from him. He looked around then, seeing if there was any immediate danger.

"Skyler," I replied blandly.

His eyes came back to my face. They temporarily snagged on the new tracery on my left cheek. Was it still glowing as Lirah had said?

"I am Jaric," he murmured. My group of escaping captives huddled forward, about halfway to the ladder. He watched them. "Are they yours?"

I nodded. "They were held here. I freed them. We need to get to safety." I pointed up to the hatch that waited for my escapees. I shook my head. They weren't mine. "How did all of you find this ship?"

He suddenly raised a hand, a knife materializing in his hand. He threw it in a quick and precise throw, soaring end over end in a straight line. It landed in the forehead of a Sharve that stood over a Morfilian woman, biting her neck. It fell away. The woman stumbled back, a hand flying to the gaping wound. Jaric went to her and caught her as she fell. He lowered a hand to her neck and closed his eyes.

Briefly, a large hole appeared in the side of his own neck. It bled blue, but then the edges of the wound quickly knit together, healed. The same happened for the woman. Mouth hanging open, I watched as she smiled gratefully at him.

"Do all of you heal people?" I asked, thinking back to Jace's Morphing and how he'd done the same for me when I was passed out.

He shook his head. "No. Only a trait that is inherited. I am a Healer, which is a necessity to serve as the second in command of the First General."

I gaped. "Jace? Is he here? Where?"

He tilted his head, twirling his sword. The unconscious gesture fascinated my short attention span. Considering. "Jace. Is it Jaceannel you mean? The First General."

I nodded eagerly.

He studied me for another moment, and then quirked a small smile. "Yes. He is here. Those loud booms you hear are him. See?"

He pointed the sword in the direction of the opposite wall. The writhing sea of bodies temporarily cleared, revealing Jace's pale form. He moved in tiger-like grace, circling two Sharves with shifting, unwavering green eyes. The Sharve snarled, back to back to each other, as they watched him hungrily. I was almost surprised to see him still in human form, but it would make sense if aerodynamics of a smaller, faster body worked better for fighting. I wanted to run to him.

He brought his arms above his head. Between his hands formed a roiling whirl of...weather? It looked like flowing clouds surrounding a ball of water and lightning. The whirling grew faster and faster. One Sharve started forward to get at him, but Jace was faster.

He threw the ball at them. It expanded wider as it neared them, encompassing both of their forms in the tornado of havoc. A boom rocked the room when it struck, and both Sharves were demolished into nothing. Another Sharve tried to sneak up behind him with clacking talons, but he spun so quickly that it was surprising when he suddenly faced it head on. A hand shot out and hit the thing in the chest. It's body flew back, but Jace followed it, hands ripping at the throat with one swift swipe. Blood spurted in a gruesome torrent. Jace's face was a mask of ferocity.

"That is why he is the First," came Jaric's smooth voice behind me. I turned. He had crossed his arms. "Not many are like him."

"I know. He's..." I hunted for the right word. "Relentless when he gets in the mood."

He nodded. "You must follow your group if you are to have them escape. It will be awhile yet when this is all done."

It hit me that I had basically ignored them for the past minutes. I searched the thinning crowd for them. They were a hundred feet away, the Morfilians on the outer layer fighting Sharve. They used not weapons, but talents. They were obviously Morphed, considering they were all adults.

Lirah came into a clearing. She stared at a Sharve that inched towards her. A blue line of blood ran down one naked shoulder. Her eyes were unfocused on it's face, but the Sharve suddenly stopped with a jerk. Then it screamed. I caught the small movement of her eyes as they twitched to the side. The Sharve's head cracked to that side, rolling off it's hunched shoulders.

Wow.

I began to run. My bare feet clapped on the slick metal ground. I slid and rammed into a Sharve that strayed too close. It stumbled back, growling. I sent it flying with the mental barrier, but this time I sent energy with it. It hit it in the stomach. The body crumpled in on itself as it hit the ground. I continued to run, determined now to not get distracted.

"Skyler!"

I spun, sliding on a patch of blood. Wildly, my eyes searched for the voice. Rayne and Rowan appeared, faces screwed tight and focused. "You're okay! We need to get you out of here. Now."

I nodded and pointed at my fighting group. "I need to get them out of here first."

She shook her head. "You don't understand. You need to go now. Or else-"

An especially large boom knocked us off our feet. My tailbone sent tingles up my back as I winced. The first pain I'd felt since waking up. Rayne lunged to her feet in a graceful pounce, grabbing my hand as she went. Then tugged me in the opposite direction of my group. Rowan was silent, leading the way with a sharp face of unreadable stone. I dug in my heels.

"No! Guys, they need help. I'm going." I pulled my hand free. Rayne whirled on me with nearly wild eyes.

"Skyler, you'll be taken if you stay! Come on! They'll be fine."

No they wouldn't. I could see the boy, his dark head of curly hair bobbing as he ducked a blow from a Sharve that had infiltrated the ring. His face was pulled into a mask of horror as his eyes darted about in panic. I took a step towards them.

"Jesus," Rayne muttered. "Fine. I'll help. But promise me you'll follow me when it's done."

"I promise," I replied. I met Rowan's eyes, their clear blue so clear that I could see every marking in them. They weren't just blue, but also light shades of purple. He nodded and began to run again. I grit my teeth against the hollow throb in my temples. A pulse of energy flowed through my chest, coiling and tightening. It wanted out. I felt the urge to throw my head back and howl. It was overwhelming. It had nowhere to go. What was happening to me?

Rayne caught up with me easily, taking my hand in support this time. Her face was worried as she watched all of the movement around us. Ready to defend me if need be. I noticed she had blood splattered all over her, both Morfilian and Sharve. She still wore human clothes: a light blue tank top and capri jeans that hugged her soft curves. Even in this atmosphere, she looked perfect. Even with the small rip in the jeans, blood stain oozing wider and wider.

"Who are they?" she asked as we neared them. I looked around for Rowan, but he had disappeared. The little boy was in the arms of the red-eyed man as he brandished a sword. It snapped in the air with finality, a Sharve's head rolling away a minute later.

"I got them out. They were in tanks." I didn't even feel breathless. But this power building in my ribs... I could feel it writhe in bone cracking force. It would tear me apart.

"Tanks? Are you sure?" she asked doubtfully. She ducked the swinging arm of a Morfilian woman, and a second later dodged a blow from the Sharve she had aimed at. Rayne scowled and tugged me faster.

"Yes. That's why they're naked," I muttered as we reached the throng of exposed skin. The boy was out of the red-eyed man's arms once more. I knelt in front of him, searching for any injuries. He had a gash along his forearm, but that seemed to be it. It was fully red. He was human.

"I'm going to get you all to safety," I told him. Portuguese came naturally, flowing fluently and clear in the racket that built around us. He nodded, not looking at me. He watched as a naked Morfilian man battled a Sharve hand to hand. He was a good fighter; he matched blow for blow with astounding strength and speed. He knocked the short alien back, swiping a jab at its' chest. His arms were taut with corded bands of muscle, skin gleaming tan while his eyes were a bright gray-

I was flung to the ground from behind. Something heavy weighed over my legs and pressed multiple sharp points into my back. Talons. Grunting, I tried to push up. The points dragged down, tearing my shift and skin like paper. I yelled, fire flaring from the wounds. The Sharve clacked gleefully, flipping me to my back now. I groaned, holding my breath to better concentrate.

It's face loomed over me. It was the Sharve from back in the mall, the woman that resembled a boulder person. But now she was as Jacob had shown himself, gray skin pulled tight over misshapen bones that shifted in strange arrays of movement. One eye was bigger than the other, with the silvery line slashed through the pupil. The pupil that was trained on me, greedily taking in whatever Sharves saw.

"A halfy, eh?" she snorted. "Shoulda known. When my brother took you away, I thought he was bluffing-"

She was whacked from behind by Rayne, who resembled an avenging angel more than an alien. She had grabbed my dagger from where it had been flung. She moved forward again, blade ready to slice into shoulder, but the female Sharve moved surprisingly quick. They began the waltz of battle.

"Come, come!" yelled Lirah. She waved for me to hurry, because the ladder was only ten feet away. I saw that now most of the others had climbed up, still in a line up the wall. I looked back at Rayne, then at LIrah.

"No, I have to stay and fight. And then go with her."

Lirah looked confused and looked up at the hatch with lost eyes. As if she would never see the sky again. But she seemed to come to some internal decision, setting her shoulders into a hard line. "I will stay with you, then."

Shocked, I didn't notice when the Sharve woman lunged at me. She held my dagger. It sliced into my stomach, but I didn't feel the pain. The sound around us seemed to disappear into darkness, just like the edges of my vision. Distantly, I could feel my back hitting the hard ground again, jarring my head with concussion worthy force. The pressure that had been building in my chest recoiled.

In the darkness of my vision, I floated in a sea of black. Pale blue and green lights flashed like lightning, growing ever closer until they began to strike the waters around me. I began to sink, and here I thought that I was being sunk by lightning. But no; it flowed in strong torrents around me, lifting me higher and higher into the shocking air. I thought I heard my mother's voice saying my name, as she used to when I was a little girl.

Come on, honey, time to go inside. Stop this and come. Skyler Louise!

And then the lightning was everything. I knew that this was it, my blood finishing the process of establishing which became dominant. The realization clicked into place with surprising clarity. My mind fuzzy, I laughed at the idea. It was already done, right? I laughed harder. This feeling of electricity burned, but it was a nice burn, like stretching muscles that had been tensed for too long. I was flying, soaring above these raging black waters. It was exhilarating. It built and built, the two colored energies intertwining and dancing around one another, encircling me slowly. They locked me in their cage, wrapping their tendrils around my limbs like creeping vines. I watched in a fascinated trance. A loud, staticky buzz filled my ears. It grew louder until I wanted to scream.

The burn turned unpleasant, going molten as it slowly crawled over my skin. My skin felt like it was slowly boiling away, and I did scream then. Pain flared in every inch of my being, coursing a fast track to the center, my core, my heart. When it reached it's destination, I thought I would explode with the pressure and agony that coalesced with one another in a mass of misery.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 62 51
The Night We Met is about a young college student named Aspen. She comes back home to Portland, Oregon where she lived in a small suburban town. She...
BLUE VENOM By Lia

Paranormal

559 107 22
"Holy crap", I said, staring at the huge green forest opening we were standing on. Only it wasn't a forest. Thick, lush jungle surrounded us. We were...
1.7K 549 22
A Story of 2 different Pairs whose fates are tangled up with each other but in different timelines, But the thing that will remain constant in their...
11 Hours By Amya Olivia

Science Fiction

142 28 16
The fate of the world rests on our shoulders again. I thought the days of us fighting were over until I woke up inside my burning school. We're being...