Rebirth as the General's Wife

By amui314

[Chen Ju Fen] The chrysanthemum fragrant blooms at dawn. At the age of 22, she died by the hands of her so-c... More

Copyright & Plagiarism
1: Regrets
2: A Second Chance
3: Engaged
4: Exchanging Jades
5: To See, To Blind
6: Planting the First Seed
7: Irritating Man
8: Unexpected Encounter
9: Summer's Day
10: The Fall Festival
11: The Winter Banquet
12: The Black Zither's Tune
13: A Pleasant Surprise
14: The Melody of a Crystal Charm
15: Exchanging Vows
16: The Xia Newlyweds
17: The Dread of A Withdrawal
18: Exchanging Letters
19: I Cannot, I Cannot
20: Husband Has Returned
21: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
22: Chaos in Action
24: The March to the Imperial Courts
25: The Fox in Disguise of a Snow Rabbit
26: The Act of Charity
27: Spending Time with a Sweet Talker
28: Bearing One's Heart on the Sleeves
29: Exchanging Hearts
30: Zhao Bai Lan's Confession
31: Spoiling Jufen With Food
32: The Fall of Gu Meiyue
33: The Last Thunder Strikes
34: Southern Problems
35: The Act of Love
36: Killing Two Birds with One Stone
37: Simply A Play
38: Unmasking Ye Feng
39: Pushing the Waves and Pulling the Strings
40: Finally.
Bonus Chapter + Epilogue
Upcoming plans + cover!!
Update!! [part 2]

23: The Chrysanthemum Trail

136K 5.6K 410
By amui314

A/n: Here's an even longer chapter! Enjoy sunshines ◟(๑•͈ᴗ•͈)◞

Xu Jun passed through the same street Jufen was last seen in. His deadly cool gaze surveyed the area and entered the same alleyway to search for additional clues.

As he silently ventured deeper into the alleyway, a very faint familiar scent lingered on the road. There was no way that Jufen's smell would remain on the streets after so long. Xu Jun bent on one knee to lean down and touched the ground with the tip of his fingers. Among the rough patches, there were also thin powdery spots that aligned into a small pathway.

"That little woman," his deep voice echoed and was carried off by the cold wind.

Closing his eyes, he forced himself to heightened the senses of his smell and followed the trail Jufen had left behind.

At the damp cottage house.

Shen Wen let out a battle cry as he charged forwards with his sword tightly held in his two hands. Jufen quickly shifted to the side and aimed for his throat for a quick kill. He quickly blocked her sword, causing the strong vibration to shake her sore arms. It was now a battle of strength, to which Jufen does not have. Her open wound on her back was gushing out blood and she was slowly weakening. Her pale lips quivered as her skin began to turn white. Wheezing through the pain, her tired eyes began to close.

When she was so sure that she reached the end of this lifetime, a small dagger drilled through Shen Wen's shoes and into his right foot.

Shen Wen roared in pain and immediately tried to pull the knife out of his foot. Before he had the chance to, another dagger pierced the hand that reached forward. Blood squirted from his wound and rapidly dripped down his shaky fingers.

His subordinates fearfully around looked for the source, only to find a tall, handsome man standing by the wall. His long fingers twirled around a third knife while he coldly gazed at the men with a bit of haughtiness. The sinful smile that did not reach his eyes was demonic and domineering.

Before they even had the chance to process his presence, he had already thrown the weapon in his hand through the throat of the non-cripple, silencing him immediately. He gapped like a fish for air afore dropping to the cold, blood-stained ground.

The young man suddenly appeared before Shen Wen and threw him to the floor. At the same time, he brutally yanked out the two daggers before stabbing through his tendons with them. His strength was so formidable that the daggers had actually bore into the ground. Shen Wen hollered with agony and begged hysterically for forgiveness.

As for the crippled subordinate, he had long wet himself from fear. Trembling from top to bottom, he kowtowed in his own fluids, hoping to be spared from his wrath. The young man drew his sword across the subordinate's eyes, instantly blinding him.

"That," he quietly resounded as the man cried with blood dripping down his face, "was for looking at my wife with your vile eyes."

Afterwards, the young man ruthlessly kicked his bloody face before swiping his sword through the subordinate's crotch without mercy. He screamed aguishly like a pig as he held himself with his hands.

"And that," he continued, "was for having such repulsive thoughts towards my wife."

Throughout the entire time, the man's eyes dulled from boredom and did not even blink twice at the crippled man dying painfully.

"Xu Jun..." Jufen faintly called out with a raspy voice. The last thing she saw was blurred image of him rushing forwards to catch her before she passed out.

Xu Jun ordered one of his hidden trusted asides to imprison Shen Wen and interrogate him in a torture chamber. Carefully lying Jufen down on her stomach, he teared a long strip of cloth from his clothes and wrapped it around her upper body and over her shoulder. After providing first aid, he gently carried her and rushed to the Ying residence.

Later, he had the family Xu's trusted physician come and treat Jufen's wounds. He wrote down a prescription and told Xu Jun about her conditions.

"Young master, her condition will take some time to recover— up to several weeks. The wound will definitely leave a deep scar but she won't die. Please stay by her side and make sure she doesn't catch a sickness. A fever could occur. If her forehead starts to burn up, please call me over," the physician respectfully explained while cupping his hands.

Xu Jun thoughtfully nodded and called out, "Servants, provide Physician Wu a room nearby to rest in."

A chorus of 'yes' murmured outside of the room and the maids led him to his prepared room.

Now that the two were finally alone, Xu Jun sighed tiredly before taking a seat on the bed she's lying on. He gently caressed her soft cheek that peeked under her swept hair and check her forehead for her temperature. Her eyebrows furrowed in pain as her body was covered in a thin layer of sweat.

"I look away for one moment and you've disappeared. Must you hate me that much?" Xu Jun smoothed out her knitted eyebrows and then held her soft hand in his.

Observing their differences, he noticed that her hands were much smaller and shorter. While his hands were rough and large, hers were creamy and fragile-looking. However, there was a few bumps of callus forming on her palms and fingers. It wasn't the perfect pair of hands but it was perfect for him.

How had she taken down five men with these tiny hands? His wife is truly terrifying.

"What is it, He Jing?" he coldly asked as all the warmth in his voice disappeared when he called out his trusted aside that was hidden in a corner. However, his eyes remained still on Jufen's back that was wrapped in gauze. He quickly threw over his clean thin outer robe to cover her exposed body.

"Master, forgive this one for disturbing you but there's trouble..." He Jing cupped his hand while bowing down respectfully. He averted his eyes from Jufen, making sure to not offend his master by looking at the wrong place.

"Cannot leave. Bring it here instead." Xu Jun impassively ordered and dismissed him.

Later, a large stack of paper was carried by He Jing and placed in front of a small desk near Jufen that he had personally set up for Xu Jun.

While reading the recent reports, Xu Jun's eyes would occasionally glance back at Jufen to check up on her condition. Every once in a while, he would bring in a wet towel to clean her and make sure she stays comfortable.

When Jufen finally opened her eyes, it was already late afternoon. She gazed at the unfamiliar bed before shifting her eyes to man sitting at a desk.

His beautiful figure leaned against the armchair on one arm that supported his cheek while holding up a book in his other hand. His aloof eyes followed the text as he read but the dark eye bags underneath lets her know that he had not slept at all.

She eyed the water basin with a towel hung on the edge, the endless piles of scrolls and books by his side, and the bloody clothes in a waste bin before staring at Xu Jun again.

Sensing that someone was watching him, his eyes shifted to meet hers. Instantly, they softened and he put down the book before he walked over to her. He ordered a maid to bring in Physician Wu and checked her condition.

"Because of young master's diligence to keep Xia Wangfei's temperature down, she has successfully passed the most dangerous stage. Please make sure she takes the medicine three times per day. Avoid water around the area but keep it clean. Rest is definitely the most important at the moment."

Xu Jun nodded and sent him out.

"You didn't have to stay up..." she hoarsely whispered. Xu Jun grabbed some warm tea for her to drink. Because she's lying on her stomach, she has to slowly sip.

"Why would I not?" he expressionlessly replied and wiped the droplet of water that escaped from her lips with his thumb.

After a long silence, she finally mustered the courage and squeaked like a tiny mouse, "Thank you..."

He raised his eyebrows in a teasing manner, "What was that? I couldn't hear anything."

Jufen pursed her lips and turned her head away from him. He chuckled at her cuteness and patted her head twice.

"Xiao Hua, as much I need you to rest, I also need you to be able to get out of bed within a week. There are things to deal with."

Hearing the seriousness in his voice, Jufen turned back to him with questioning eyes. Xu Jun's face was ashen and dark while his eyes were clouded with thoughts. Because it was Jufen that was in front of him, he did not bother to conceal his feelings.

Wanting to smooth the wrinkle in between his brows, her fingers twitched. Even if she found the courage to, her blemished body would not allow it.

She demanded with a stern voice, "Tell me."

Xu Jun stared at her clear eyes before glancing at the book report. In a cold tone, he explained, "Your father was suddenly imprisoned last night in suspicious of thievery of taxes and bribery while he was distracted by your kidnapping. Because of his hard work in the past decades, the Emperor excused the rest of the remaining Chen family. In ten days, he would be executed unless proven otherwise. On the other hand, your brother is left alone to deal with your case and the pressed charges against your father.

Your little friend was also involved. Zhao Bai Lan was brought into court for your case before your brother was dead set on proving her innocence. Afterwards, she was tricked into believing that you sent her a letter of your whereabouts. She was injured but she's recovering."

It was as if someone had squeezed her heart tightly and filled it with anguish. She remembered how her father was executed in the streets for everyone to point with their fingers, insult him, and throw rotten eggs at him. She remembered how she just watched him be decapitated— how she couldn't do anything but to silently cry. Her eyes grew freezing cold and a new resentment flashed.

'Not again...I won't let this happen again.'

She really did not expect Ye Feng to act so calculatively and swiftly. Though Xu Jun did not mention it, she knew he spent the entire night trying to investigate the case to free her father. Most likely, the Xu family is also working behind the scenes. If the Emperor suspects that the Xu household—who were attempting to help Chen Qui—was involved with his crimes, no doubt would they suffer damage to their power and reputation. In less than twenty-four hours, he had managed to pulled down her family, in-laws, and even her close friend.

She closed her eyes and allowed the discomfort sink in. As it began to fade, her calm appearance resurfaced without a trace of worry.

It was fine if he had only harmed her alone. To implicate on her loved ones in this lifetime as well? That was it; he had finally crossed her line. Jufen dryly laughed before she smiled sarcastically.

'I want to know how long it would take for you to realize that you no longer have the upper hand, Ye Feng.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 185K 77
Nobody ever loved him; she was the first who loved him. He did not have a family and then one day she entered into his life and became a world for h...
1.1M 27.5K 45
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
84.7K 3.1K 178
The Emperor's Concubine duology. Book one and two are combined. *** The Emperor's Concubine *** The world seems harsh and cruel, especially when you'...
76.5K 2.2K 41
Bai Qian, the young Princess of The Fox Clan flees the Den in search of peace and quiet after an argument between her parents leaves her tearful and...