Once upon a Princess (Atypica...

By siesie_19

If you've come expecting a fairytale about Prince Charming, Fairy Godmothers, and evil parents; You may look... More

A/N (VERY IMPORTANT)!!!! SERIOUSLY!
CAST
1. Sister,Sister
2.Bump in the road
3. Good Samaritans
4. Adjusting
5. Hartley Household
6. Princess and the Hunter
7. Nice to Meet You
8. Swing-Sets and Skills
9. Me.
10. Truth or..?
11. Books Before Boys
12. All the Right Moves
13. Not a Party till the Princess shows up
14. Hangovers and Realizations
15. Tangled?
16. But... I can't
17. A familiar face
18. Judas
19. Missing Piece
20. Back to Square one
21. Let Bygones be Bygones
22. Birthday Celebrations 1.1
23. Birthday Celebrations 1.2
24. Birthday Celebrations 1.3
25. Birthday Celebrations 1.4
26. Can I get a refund?
27. Am I a Monster?
28. The First Stage
29. The Accomplice
31. Crash and Burn?
32. I don't have a horse
33. Bee-moon?
34. Welcome Back 1.1
35.Welcome Back 1.2
36. Starting to look a lot like Christmas
37. It's Christmas!
38. The Runaways
39. Lock me up
40. I Promise
EPILOGUE
Bonus (1)
Bonus (2)
A/N

30. My Achilles Heel

321 45 116
By siesie_19

NATE
Wednesday 31st October

"Admit it dude, you're totally whipped."

I balled the t-shirt I was folding, in my fists and threw it at Isaac-who effortlessly caught it to my disappointment.

"I'm not whipped," I said as I continued to unpack my clothes into my new dresser.

Isaac snorted and pulled himself onto a sitting position on my bed, "Have you or have you not told both Alexa and all of us that you weren't going back to the palace after the ball?"

I pretended to not hear as I whistled a tune while continuing to unpack the boxes.

We had only moved in a few days before and I was already growing tired of unpacking.
The past two months had been extremely hectic and full of changes.

Not only did Isaac get accepted into Vista under the evening classes- due to his new job that Shaniah's sister had arranged for him- but he had recently started to work in such job and he was loving the responsibility.

I was constantly visiting colleges over the past two months but nothing had peaked my interest.

Isaac decided to tease me some more.
"You went back like.... five times."

"Three." I corrected, all the while avoiding his smug face.

Since our first date, against my gut feelings, I visited Alexa twice. I initially didn't plan to -but after rudely ending our phone call when my career advisor had called- I had to make it up to her by visiting her to brighten her day.

Both times were very brief considering being interrupted by her dad's assistant demanding her presence for some important Princess situation.

"At least you guys are having some quality time, just as a couple this time," Isaac said, "It bothered me to see you with this dopey look on your face whenever Alexa was around the house, and she was so oblivious."

I threw the empty box in the corner of the room, and sat on my newly made bed.
"We're not a couple yet..."

Isaac rolled his eyes, "Yet you come back with a hickey every time you go there."

"All we do is make out! I swear!"

I thought Isaac would have been relieved by my statement but instead he sighed and pursed his lips, "Damn. Thought you were getting some real action."

I scoffed while attempting to shove him off my bed with my foot. It was to no avail, the idiot was like a log.

I decided to give up and leaned back into my pillow, "So how's work?"

Isaac shrugged, " It's okay I guess, grateful for the temporary job until I get my career in I.T going... plus this way, I can save up for Shaniah and I's future."

The weird unsettling feeling returned in my stomach whenever Isaac mentioned his future with Shaniah.
I was in no way jealous of them, I was super elated that they finally got engaged, yet there was a nagging odd feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever the topic was brought up.

I had a suspicion of what was the cause of it, but I didn't want to accept the fact that I was being selfish.
Isaac's three years older than me, and  foot ahead into his new life.

New life of marriage and having a new family. I knew it was wrong of me to be upset about all the sudden changes in our lives right now- sudden house change, Isaac moving out soon- but I couldn't help but wish that everything stayed constant.

I was never a big fan of change.

"Hey. Look at me," Isaac said.
I did.
"You do know that I'd still be around you guys a lot right? Like an irritating tick, you'd have to kick me out."

I rolled my eyes at this, "Mom would never kick you out, she adores you too much."

He swiped a few strands of hair out of his face and smirked, "I don't blame her."

"Oh you could totally fu-"

Isaac dramatically gasped,"Nathan Hartley!"

I threw another shirt at Isaac and was left pleased when it fell on his face with a satisfying plop.

"Now can you stop being a prick and stop teasing me? I'm already annoyed by the whole situation."

Isaac peeled the T-Shirt away from his face and grimaced, "Trouble in paradise?"

"She only wants me to visit her, I can't keep going back there."

"Well don't," Isaac scoffed as if the idea was silly, "That plan was risky from the start. I'm sure you can figure out a way to see her that doesn't involve you being beheaded by the King when you spots you hooking up with his daughter."

I thought back to all the times I managed to escape being caught and I shuddered at the possibility of what would have happened if luck wasn't on my side for once.

"Okay, so what's our plan?"

<< >>
ALEXA

"Just observe and stay quiet. You're lucky that I'm letting you shadow me on this," Father said as he sat onto his throne.

I made a conscious effort to cross my legs at my ankle and I sat up straight in my throne as the guards brought in a citizen.

A tall gangly man stumbled forward when the guards pushed him towards us and my heart ached at the sight of the obviously starving man.

"Your majesties," He croaked, his voice sounded as hollow and parched as he looked.
He bent forward into a low bow, and I almost suggested that he didn't in fear of him breaking in two.

"What brings you here today?" Father asked dryly.

The man shifted his weight onto his other leg and dropped his gaze from Father's intense one.
"I've come to ask for you to please have mercy on the Gylatial-"

"Is that the Homeless Shelter situated in town?" I couldn't help my outburst, but his weak nod to my question confirmed my suspicions about this sickly looking man.

Father cleared his throat, "What exactly are we to do?"

The man's scrawny arms circled around himself as he looked sheepishly at my father before dropping his gaze again.

Father made a disapproving sound and sat back in his chair,"Please make your request. I have others waiting."

"Well-uh. It's exactly that your majesty. My request is that you kindly see that our shelter doesn't continue to be neglected."

Father sat forward and stroked his beard thoughtfully for a few seconds before speaking, "Have you spoken to the Duke and his ministers? They're directly responsible for the development of these-"

"Organizations." I finished for father, once I knew that the noun he was planning to use wasn't as generous.

The man shook his head, "That's the thing your majesty. We're being constantly overlooked. My request is that you kindly advise them to pay more attention to us. We're citizens too."

The last line chipped a piece of my heart considering that his voice cracked and his lip wobbled a bit.

"We'd- I'd make it my duty to notify the Duke and his ministers. I'm so sorry that this wasn't brought to our attention sooner."

The man'a timid gaze shifted from the floor and onto my face and a bright smile spread across.
"Oh thank you Princess, blessings to you and your family. I have no doubt that you'd be an amazing Queen to our kingdom just as your mother has."

"Alright. Your time is up," Father snapped. The guards moved towards the man, but it was as if a whole new person was standing in his place.

With a huge smile upon his face, he marched out of the room, accompanied by two of father's guards.

"Send the next one in your majesty?" One of the remaining guards asked.

Father pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head. I knew that he wasn't pleased that I had interjected but I wasn't about to sit silently while he carelessly listened to his own citizen's problems which he didn't intend to fix.

"Alexandria. What did I tell you?"

"Oh so are we supposed to let them starve? What about our country's virtues that you boast about all the time? Ticība, cerība un labdarība!"

Father cleared his throat and dropped his gaze to his robes.

"Well I'm not sure if you noticed but the last word-labdarība, yeah it's called charity and you're not being fricking charitable right now."

"Alexandria that's enough! You'd show me some respect!"

"No. You receive respect when you show respect to others. That's how it works."

I tossed my hair over my shoulders and intentionally avoided his intense stare as I focused my gaze on Ricardo who was waiting patiently-with a huge grin on his face- at the door.

"Bring in the next person please Ricardo."

This training session had just begun.

   << >>
ALEXA
Friday November 2nd

The four words stared back at me mockingly from the screen.

I bit my lip in concentration as my mind rushed to a million assumptions.

When I replied affirmatively, Nate replied not too shortly after and his answer caused a small gasp to a escape my lips.

Without even thinking, I quickly typed an affirmative response and dashed to Isabelle's room.

I gave a brief nod to the guard stationed a foot away from her room, before barging in.

"Jesus Alexa! Why don't you ever knock?"

"Switcheroo."

Isabelle who had sprung up from her bed in surprise when I barged in, sat back down with raised brows.

"Switcheroo?"

I nodded while closing the door behind me, "Please? I'd owe you one."

Isabelle sighed and collapsed onto her bed dramatically, "The things I do for the ones I love."

I started unbuttoning my shirt while rolling my eyes at her dramatics, "Oh shut up. You love when we do this."

Isabelle scrambled off her bed and began to loosen her braid, "You sure bet I do."

                        <<            >>
An hour later and Isabelle and I were finished primping ourselves.

I pinned a straight strand of hair behind my ear and tightened the belt of my dress.

Isabelle however, was growing irritated with the mass of curls I created, "How do you live with these unruly devils? They won't let stay put!" She cried.

"Trust me I rather my unruly devils," I muttered, "Straight hair is so flat and boring."

Isabelle gasped and shoved me so forcefully that I stumbled into the mirror.

"Stop! You're going to mess up the makeup!" I cried.

Isabelle successfully made up my face in under twenty minutes, it wasn't anything extensive but something to mimick her usual everyday look.

"So where is Nate taking you?" She asked while tugging me away from the mirror.

I shrugged, "I don't know. He just asked me if I trusted him and when I said I did, he asked me to meet him outside the palace gates."

Isabelle pursed her lips as she let my words sink in and I could have mistaken her for myself with her curly wild hair and fierce expression.

"You're a natural Belle, just finesse my resting bitch face and you'd be fine."

Isabelle made a show of pushing me backwards before dusting off the jumper I had lent her, "Here's my impression of you."

She cleared her throat before narrowing her eyes into a stormy gaze and tilting her chin upwards, "No."

My knees buckled under me as I erupted into laughter and she soon joined in.

"No?" I said mid-laughter, "That's your best impression of me? Saying no?"

Isabelle tucked a curl that was dangling in her eye away and nodded, "It's what you do best."

My phone -that I had brought with me when I had returned to my room briefly to retrieve a jumper for Isabelle- buzzed from her dresser table.

Isabelle glanced behind her and squinted her eyes at the illuminated screen, "It's your booooooo," She singsang.

"Yeah no, please don't act like that while you're dressed as me," I said, while crinkling my nose.

Isabelle folded her arms and raised a brow, "You're the one going in public posed as me. Please don't do anything embarrassing."

She bit her lip, a tell that she wanted to say something more, but she was too afraid of doing so.

"What is it Belle?"

Her gaze flickered over to me and she smiled lopsidedly, "I know it's a bit out of place for me to ask... but would you mind restraining from any public affection with Nate if you guys are actually in public?"

When I furrowed my brows at her request, she continued.

"I-uh. Considering you're posed as me... I'd hate for any more insults of me being a slut thrown my way if they see me with yet another guy."

"But Graham's the only guy you've been with, you know that and they know that! Who cares about what insults they throw your way? You're not a slut okay?"

She gave me a weak nod and then pointed to the doorway,"Let's go do our old Switcheroo!"

The guards didn't even spare us a passing glance as we sauntered our way out of the palace and towards the main gate.
I saw Nate perched upon his motorbike, a few feet away from the entrance.

"There's not much people around," Isabelle murmured, "This might actually work."

Then, the guard stationed at the our very own majestic brass gate, stopped us.

"Your majesties, you're leaving the palace unaccompanied?" His gaze shifted from Isabelle and I uneasily and I saw his hand reach for his communicator.

"Yes! I'm just taking a quick stroll along the area! Father-"

Isabelle nudged my side.

"I mean dad, gave me his permission. Alexa's just escorting me to the gate that's all!"

The word "dad" sounded odd rolling off my tongue in mention of my sperm donor but it was necessary to play the role.

The guard didn't seem so convinced. He turned to Isabelle, "Princess Alexandria, no offense but with your recent disappearance it's necessary for you both to be-"

Isabelle rolled her eyes so far back into her head I swore she had gotten possessed. When they returned to normal she narrowed them at the guard and planted her hands on her hips-Alexa style.

"Oh for crying out loud! Would you just let Isabelle leave?"

The guard flinched and stepped backwards and I noticed his grasp on his communicator, tightened.

I was about to tell Isabelle to forget it, and to head back into the palace when she jabbed a finger into his chest.

Maybe she was *too* into character.

"Let Isabelle go now," She instructed, "She'd be back in an hour or two and if anyone asks she went on a stroll. I'd be in Queen Training if anyone asks for me."

She rose her brows when the guard did nothing but stare back at her.

"Yes Princess Alexandria!"

Isabelle'a brows furrowed as if she momentarily forgot about our switched identities and then her poised smirk reappeared on her face.

She all but shoved me outside the gate when the guard shuffled over to the booth to open the mechanical gates.

It slid open and Isabelle and I tried our best to dash towards Nate's motorcycle without being seen by any pedestrians.

His helmet was still on and he was tapping away furiously at his phone when we both approached him.

Isabelle tapped his shoulder and he took off the helmet and laid his eyes on her.

"Hey," She chirped, She sneakily sent me a teasing smile I knew that she wanted us to play with Nate's mind.

I straightened my posture and tried my best to make my voice higher when I spoke, "Hi!"
Nate's eyes landed on me and his head tilted to one side as he surveyed my face.

I tried my best to keep my face neutral but his adorable, "in deep concentration" face was too much for me to bear.

"So! Ready to go?" Isabelle asked. Nate nodded but stayed silent. He was yet to say a word but his body language portrayed that he sensed that something was off.

"Don't stay out too long!" I teased, waggling my finger.

Isabelle pretended to make her way to behind Nate to mount the motorcycle as she offhandedly answered me, "Make sure to keep dad occupied for me."

Nate's head spun around so quickly that I  was afraid that I'd hear a crick.

He pointed a finger at me and a grin slowly spread across his face, "I knew I wasn't going crazy!"

He turned the accusing finger at Isabelle, "You're Isabelle!"

Isabelle stepped away from the bike with her award-winning smile, "That I am."

Nate's eyes shifted to me and the startled look in them softened, "Lex."

I simply nodded and stepped closer towards the motorbike.

"Rule number one Isabelle, I never call father 'dad'."

She cursed under her breath and pursed her lips, "Shit, I forgot how stubborn you were about that."

Isabelle glanced around us and sure enough there were a few more people walking around now, sending curious glances in our direction.

"Go! And be careful! And remember what I said about PDA!" She hissed.

I sent her a salute as I mounted the bike and took the second helmet from Nate. I wrapped my arms tightly around his waist and with a simple two-fingered salute at Isabelle, we sped off.

                         <<      >>

"You truly know the way to my heart," I sighed as I plucked another wanton from the basket.

"Food is the best way to everyone's heart," Nate said.

A little bluebird fluttered its way towards us and I reached into the bowl of fruit that Nate had also brought and tossed a grape in its direction.

"Hey! That's less grapes for me!" Nate cried.

"Oh shush you big baby," I said while squeezing his pouting face.

The bird tweeted appreciatively and fluttered away leaving Nate and I alone on the grass once more.

"You know for such a beautiful park it sure is secluded," I noted as I took in the surroundings of the deserted area.

Nate nodded in agreement with his cheeks filled with food and I shook my head at how much the boy eats.

When he finally swallowed his mouthful, he twirled a straight lock of my hair, "So. What's the whole reason for you swapping with Isabelle?"

"If father realizes I'm missing, he'd throw a fit. Isabelle's allowed to leave as she pleases since she's not the Crown Princess. Plus I'm on watch since I disappeared for that whole month."

He only nodded in understanding and I folded my arms and quirked a brow, "How easily we had you fooled, I thought you knew the difference between us two? You didn't recognize the difference until Isabelle slipped up."

Nate shook his head and slipped his hand into mine, "No. I suspected from the start, but you two were so damn good at this swapping thing that I thought I was losing my mind."

I replied by placing a sweet kiss to his lips before I reached for another sandwich his mom had prepared.

"God I missed Cindy's food," I groaned, once I made the conscious effort to swallow my food first.

"And we miss you," Nate murmured as he pulled me into his chest so that I was laying against him.

I found it hard to answer him without the whole topic of the Palace coming into play. It was always a sore topic with Nate because his mood would always shift at the slightest mention.

All I really wanted was the complications to be all over, I wanted to be able to be with Nate without it depending on my dad and the whole Kingdom.

"Hey, watchya thinking about?" Nate murmured against my ear.

I shook my head and smiled widely before he could have picked up on my misery.
"Just so happy we got to do this you know? That you did this for us."

Nate chuckled and then placed a kiss on my forehead, "Anything for my girl."

My heart immediately fluttered as well as my stomach and I think I visibly stiffened as the word oozed out of Nate's mouth.

Nate, who was always good at reading body language, immediately picked up on the movement.

"Shit. Sorry. Too soon? I mean I know we're dating but it's just that-"

He paused when he saw me glancing upwards at him with the widest grin. It was always so adorable to see him so flustered.

"It's okay," I assured him, "It just caught me off guard."

Loud chirping from a flock of birds nearby caught out attention and we both focused on the tiny bluebirds that were currently fighting over a rotting piece of fruit near the swings.

"Hey! Wanna go on the swings?"
I sat up abruptly and eagerly awaited a response from Nate who was pouting that I was no longer in his embrace.

"Or we can continue cuddling, I vote for that." He said, with a sly smirk.

I rolled my eyes and rose to my feet," Uh huh, cuddling always ends with us making out."

Nate gave me a cheeky grin as he rose to his feet as well and proceeded to pack away the items into-the picnic basket, "I mean can you blame me?"

"You can get your kiss later, I wanna go on the swings!" I chirped, flailing my arms like a little girl.

Nate stood still and just observed my hyper behavior with a small smile for a few seconds before he outstretched his hand.

"Fine, let's go. The Princess always gets what the Princess wants right?"

<< >>
Hiiiii!
Here's another chappie for ya!
It's ideally two chapters in one but they were both so short so it's one whole chapter now!

With regards to this story ending at chapter 35, I think that it might go on a little longer than that so maybe 40 chapters. Maybe.

What was your favorite moment in this chapter?

Vote! Comment! Love you guys so much!!!

If any of you lovely talented readers would like to make covers or fan art for this story, I'd appreciate it!
You can send them to sbronkew@gmail.com

💋💋-Sierra

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8K 409 15
"If you look anymore perfect, I will lock you up in my room And I assure you, you won't be able to walk for days after that." It was every girl's dre...
1.8M 92.1K 53
‧₊ ❁ཻུ۪۪.;:୭̥. 𝐀 𝐕𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐘 ...
6.8M 248K 74
When I was a little girl, I believed in fairy tales. I believed in princes and princesses and knights in shining armor. I believed in forever and hap...
1.7K 174 31
Alexis is an ordinary girl with a normal life until she encounters a prince and discovers a bewildering secret. Now Alexis Parker is a mess or shall...