The Night Children

By Leahwhitefang

She was breaking, he was broken. She was misinterpreted, he was recognised. She was a nobody, he was everybod... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Epilogue
Authors Remarks
The Hunted Children
Reviews + Awards

Chapter 11

182 15 6
By Leahwhitefang

Edited. 

Days dragged by and I caught myself multiple times wishing Aaron would come back sooner, however every time my self-conscious realised my sudden veering of thoughts, I would steer then back to the current matter.

Disappearances.

Oh and the evil witch of a woman who wanted to put a pencil through my hand.

While the boys were away, fourteen students were reported missing, all of which were in grade nine or above. The community, subsequently, was up in a riot, with parents taking their children out of school and the Mayor was eventually forced to shorten the curfew to five o' clock. Police were also on the patrol during late night shifts, securing the streets that the children have been taken from previously, but so far nothing was reported back.

Aleena and I were on unsteady ground. The disappearances had once again put her in a foul mood and I had drifted away to give her the space she needed to take out her sour comments on something else. I didn't have the strength to deal with her snappy comments in my current state.

Miss Anderson however, was more quiet than usual, although that didn't stop her from throwing sneering comments every so often. She didn't seem too distressed over the fact half our chemistry class was gone, leaving only seven of us left. She had stated, rather loudly one day, that it was a surprise the rest of us hadn't disappeared yet considering our lack of intellect. I'm sure if Isaac was there, he would've laughed. I thought it was insensitive.

News reporters began to file into the small town, demanding evidence from any innocent person walking past. We were told to ignore them by our Sheriff.

Mum was growing duller by the day, her moods shifting so frequently that I escaped the house as often as I could to avoid an argument, which proved as a bad move because I found her later one night clutching a liquor bottle screaming her head off about Dad. I turned to Aleena later that night once I had calmed Mum down, but she gave me such uninterested responses that I hung up on her to dwell in my own misery. Even the chickas were acting weird, especially Chelsea. Her makeup was splotchy, her hair fell down her back in tangles and her usually bright, blue eyes were diluted and expressionless.

My wolf hadn't appeared since the night I saw blood on his paws and I couldn't help but miss him. He was something familiar, his yellow eyes a comforting sight. Great, you've become attached to an oversized dog that will probably kill you once it gets the chance, I snarled to myself. But then words echoed back into my mind. Words I had been trying to forget.

'You aren't alone.'

Aarons voice replayed in my mind, drilling into my brain until all I could think of was him and his eyes and his lips and his touch. It sure as hell feels like I am alone, I wanted to scream.

Every day, my attention span was shortening in class. Every day I could feel my grades slipping. Every day I dreaded who would disappear next. It wasn't long before I started to question when I would disappear next, when I would be stolen in the cover of shadows to never be seen again.

But those thoughts stopped when I heard the door of the chemistry class open.

I looked up sharply from my books, the pages filled with my sketches. A figure entered the room, ignorant of the several eyes that stared at him. But then I recognised those blonde curls, those dimples that engraved into his lower cheeks and the fringe that swept over his eyes.

It wasn't him. It wasn't Aaron.

Isaac offered Miss Anderson a small smile and she returned it, her pointed expression changing to one of relief.

Bite me, I wanted to hiss. He spoke to her in a low voice, gesturing formally with his hands. I glanced to my side to see Aleena watch him, and for the first time in weeks I saw the usual spark return to her eye. She was staring at him as she always did, with a mild curiosity that indicated she was deep in thought. My eyes trailed over to Chelsea who looked like she was dying of excitement.

After being dismissed by Miss Anderson, Isaac walked over to take his seat. Chelsea reached up with swift hands and pulled him down hugging him tightly. Even from here, I could see the surprise spread across his eyes before he pulled her away with a smug smile. His eyes danced to mine and he held my gaze for an intense amount of time before Chelsea jerked his chin back to her, laughing the gesture off with an ugly cackle.

What is his problem? I didn't know, I hadn't known for nearly a month now. He always watched me like he wanted nothing more than to snap my neck but sometimes, occasionally, he studied me like something intrigued him. A part of me I couldn't stop thinking about him holding my hand, staring at my scar like he couldn't believe the sight. I shuddered.

Males, you'll never understand them.

If Isaac was back, surely Aaron should be as well. I leaned in my seat to see Aleena play with her pen in her hands, her eyes training on Isaac. Well I guess that is another good sign.

The door suddenly swung open, and with it came a sun kissed, brown haired boy with green eyes. Despite everything, despite what my mind was telling me not to do, I did the opposite and allowed a smile to burst across my lips. Aaron approached Miss Anderson, ducking his head to meet her eye level. She looked at him with a frown and nodded swiftly, telling him to go sit down. I waited for him to notice me, or at least meet my gaze but he trailed into his seat without a flicker of acknowledgement. Miss Anderson watched Aaron curiously, then returned to her laptop, typing away at it furiously. I noticed she had been doing that frequently, her priority seemed to be behind the screen, not on her tiny class. Maybe it'll keep her from putting her dirty paws on me.

I let my eyes wonder over to Aaron. He was staring at his open book with little expression, however his cheeks looked slightly more pale than the last time I saw him.

"Run into any doors while you were gone?" I joked half-heartedly but his lips thinned at my words.

"No," he said curtly.

I felt my eyes narrow, suspicion rising through me. He never would usually respond like that, let alone respond with one word.

"Well I think you'll be happy to know I didn't impale myself with a pencil while you were away."

He shot me a dark look that implied he hadn't thought my joke was funny.

In disdain, I quickly continued. "Come on Aaron, it's kind of funny."

His golden pupils narrowed. "Being in pain isn't funny." He snapped back.

I blinked in shock. I was supposed to be the one with the attitude, not him.

"But me fainting was?" I hissed back, although the edge of my tone hinted amusement. He didn't even offer me a smile. Instead he ignored me, focusing his attention on the untouched page in front of him.
Now that I was really looking at him, I noticed his hair had grown a lot, enough for a small section of his eye to be covered unless he moved it frequently. If I didn't know any better, I assumed he was trying to grow out curtains.

"Why are you acting like a brat." I said bluntly. This caused a reaction.

"I'm not." He argued back, his voice rough.

I stared at him, trying to understand his slitted pupils and clenched jaw. "Yes Aaron you are. You've barely looked at me and you're responding like you want nothing more than to escape this conversation." His adams apple rose and fell as he swallowed and then he glanced away to glare at the board in front of him.

"Can we talk about this later?" He finally responded, his gaze still staring out in front of him as if there was something to look at. I knew he was doing it so he didn't have to meet my gaze.

"No," I responded plainly. "I want to talk about it now."
He spun back to me, a muscle jumping in his jaw. His golden flecks had shimmered down to a murky brown, expressing an emotion of unhappiness. They didn't hold the playfulness I usually saw; those weren't the eyes I remembered.

"Well I don't," Aaron snarled.

His words hit me hard and I felt myself recoil from his gaze. The way he said it, he sounded awfully like Isaac.

A stab of anger whirled around me. "But—"

"Enough Renee!"

Miss Anderson glanced up from her vigorous typing to stare down Aaron and I, her expression one of interest. It took everything in me not to give her the finger. I reverted my attention but to Aaron to take in his frown, curled fists and furious expression.

He abruptly rose from his seat, grabbing his bag slung over his chair with enough force to knock it over. He then stormed towards the front, his cheeks blossoming red out of anger.

Miss Anderson rose with a curious, thin lipped smile. She titled her glasses down to the crook of her nose. "Aaron," she cooed. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Home," he hissed. He didn't pause before he slammed open the doors, striding away without another word.

Isaac turned in his seat, a smirk touching his lips. Miss Anderson, however, looked taken back, her mouth slight ajar.

"What's his problem?" Scoffed Isaac, breaking the silence that trapped the class. Chelsea giggled in response, battering her eyelashes the way I would if a bug got in my eye. She revolts me. But I could spend all day reflecting on how much I wanted to hit Chelsea, when I had other priorities.

Aaron.

I rose from my seat to stuff my books into my bag. I swung it onto my shoulders, catching Aleena's eye. She rose an eyebrow, her lips inclining. I knew she approved of what I was about to do.

Now, Miss Anderson was watching me in amusement, her grey eyes dancing over mine. "Is something wrong Miss Argent?"
I strode forward without hesitation, feeling several eyes on my back. "Yes actually."

She wasn't expecting the snappy reply, so instead she stared at me pathetically.

I could feel a pair of tricoloured eyes study me like a hawk but I disregarded them. He revolted me just as much as Chelsea. In an attempt to avoid any questions, I turned to the door and pushed it open.

Miss Anderson's voice halted me. "Miss Argent, if you leave this classroom I will have no choice but to—"

"To what?" I cut in, spinning around so sharply that a wisp of hair fell loosely from my pony tail. "What are you going to do? Suspend me, expel me, kick me out of the class?"

She blinked at me, her eyes narrowing into thin slits.

"It's not like you've thought about all those possibilities so go ahead and do it," I continued, my voice wreathing with anger. "You can't possibly make my life any worse." I took a huge breath, trying to regain my composure. From the corner of my eye I saw Isaac glare at me, his pupils narrowing to blaze in hatred. Whereas Aleena was staring at me with a minuscule, but still present, smile on her lips. I looked back to Miss Anderson who was clenching the pen in her hand so hard I was sure it would snap.

"You can't hurt me anymore." I whispered.

Her face blossomed red but before she could respond, I shoved my way into the hallway.

No one followed after me.

I saw him stride across the main oval, his movements jerky with rage. I ran to catch up with him, my bag bouncing heavily against my back. I never thought I would be chasing after a boy, I grumbled.

"Aaron!" I called, slightly breathless. He hesitated for a split second but then seemed to think better of it and continued to stalk away.

"Aaron!" I called louder, nearing him. He lengthened his stride, never turning back to acknowledge my presence.

My muscles already began to argue with me. He was fast, I gave him credit for that. "Oh for Christ sakes as if I am running after some idiot who gave me attitude –"

I crashed into him, stumbling slightly but I regained my balance in a swift second. I craned my neck to see a very furious Aaron. He was glaring at me like I was gum on the bottom of his shoe.

"Stop walking away from me." I tried to say but my breaths were coming out in wheezes and I had to bend over to get my lungs working again. Aaron regarded me for a moment, his lips quirking ever so slightly.

"Do you need a minute."

"No," I retorted and sucked in another lungful of air before meeting his pointed gaze. "Right okay, now, don't even try to run because I'll just keep chasing you."
He rose an eyebrow. "I'm sure."
I shot him a dark look. "Don't make me."
Aaron frowned and then clenched his jaw. "Well what do you want?"
"I want you to tell me what's wrong." God Renee, what's wrong? What is he, three years old? I mentally slapped myself.

He stared at me too, like he couldn't believe the words came out of my mouth, and then he pressed his lips together. "I don't want to talk about it."

"So you'll just continue to take it out on me?" I snapped back and he responded with more silence. He glanced away at his feet, letting his hair fall over his eyes. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I find it mildly confusing when one minute you kiss me telling me some lovesick comment, return to school and then act as if you despise me."

He stared at the grass on his shoe, but even I could tell my words had rattled him. The tips of his ears reddened.

Finally, he responded. "I think you should calm down."

I took a few seconds to calm my racing heart, irritation rushing through me. "You won't even look at me. How can I remain calm when you're studying your shoe like it's the most amazing thing you've ever seen?"

His hands clenched by his side but even then, his green eyes never met mine.

"Aaron," I hissed, my voice lowering to a dangerous tone. "Look. At. Me."

He rose his head, apparently noticing the frustration coming off me in waves. He clenched his jaw but said nothing.

"You're acting like the very boy you fought just a week ago. Don't turn into him Aaron, it's not who you are."

His eyes narrowed at this, his skin paling ever so slightly. "I'm not like Isaac."

"But you're treating me like you are," I argued. "And the thing is I knew it would come."

Aaron watched me blankly, an expression of confusion touching his features.

I shrugged, running a hand through my loose hair. "It's every high school story isn't it? The popular boy gets to know the loner, robs her of her heartless ways and fills her mind with broken promises before growing bored. Then he acts like she was nothing, just a shadow who begged for him to allow her back into his embrace."
Something crossed his gaze. I couldn't pin point it until he moved his fringe away. Sympathy. It was so evident. "Renee, I'm not trying to push you away. I'm not that guy, I'm not using you."

He took a step forward but I expanded the distance, taking a step backwards. "So what are you?" There was a long pause that consisted of me staring into his eyes, trying to register the look on his face.

And then suddenly he had closed the distance, his vanilla scent slamming into me. With gentle hands he lifted a hand up to touch the side of my cheek. The place where his lips had brushed a week ago. "I'm sorry," he whispered. His lips were cracked, weathered against time. His hair was wild and untamed, just like the emotion that was revealed in his eyes.

But I jerked away from his touch, letting his hand fall to his side. "I've never counted apologies as meaningful." His eyes flashed with hurt but he quickly blinked it away, his lips angling down into a slight frown. "But because you ran into a door for me, I'll let it slide."

His lips creaked into a smile and I gave him a small one back. "However, don't push me away again."

"Push or pull. Similar to how a door works. No wonder why I ended up with this," he pointed to the scar the wooden ruler had left under his eye.

"I'm serious Payne."

He arched an eyebrow. "Using last names are we Argent?"

"It implies seriousness," I replied.

He studied me. "You're not the serious type."
"I can be very serious," I said in an attempt to maintain my dignity.

Aaron smiled, it was a bright smile, one that seemed genuine. "Like before when you nearly passed out while trying to interrogate me?"

I punched him. It was light, at least I thought it was but he looked down at his arm like I had seriously wounded him. "What was that for?" He growled.

I titled my head. "For teasing me."

He stared at me like I was delusion. "That wasn't worth getting hit for."
"But it was a reminder that you shouldn't play with fire Aaron," I began to turn then paused, watching him rub his arm. "Unless you want my story to go up in flames.

....

I felt the hard ground press onto my tail bone, the snow chilling my skin to the point where I was growing numb to it. Snowflakes danced across my vision, trailing paths in their beauty to be whisked away by the wind. I watched the forest with unfocused eyes, sorting through the collection of thoughts that threatened to explode out of me.

I had pretended everything was fine today. Interrogating Aaron had been a test, and he'd failed. I could see it, in the way his green eyes had darkened and the spirit in his voice was gone. He had lied. Plain and simple. There was a reason behind his reaction to me today, a reason I was far beyond understanding. I looked into his eyes and barely saw the boy that left a week ago. He was a stranger, playing along with the façade of normality until I stared at the boy who resembled Aaron, but had the secrets of another.

I sighed, wrapping my arms around myself to give myself some form of warmth. I wanted so badly for my wolf to melt out of the forest. I wanted him to let me wrap my arms around his thick ruff and curl my fingers into his fur. But no matter how hard I wished, his golden gaze never sought out mine.

I wanted answers, I wanted to find the truth. I felt so helpless, waiting for each day to tick past with more students disappearing from BrookeField High. I was sick of waiting. I wanted to do something, anything, to stop the numbness that was sweeping itself across this community.

....

I arrived to school the next day to find Aleena waiting for me, leaning against a brick building with ear phones plugged in.

"I'm surprised you're awake this early," I remarked as I approached her. She took out one of the earphones to look me up and down.

"You don't look so perfect yourself."

I looked down at myself. I had chucked on whatever I could find this morning which resulted in skinny jeans and a plain sweater. It wasn't necessarily the loveliest colour coordination.

"Clothes aren't a priority," I sniffed.

She regarded me with an arched eyebrow. "And apparently hair brushing."

I scowled at her but she titled her lips to indicate she was joking, although I was sure what she was saying was somewhat true.

"I need to have a quick chit chat with you," she suddenly said.

I groaned, spinning to face her again. "Last time you had a chit chat with me you slapped me because I said something you didn't agree with."

She frowned, her eyes pointedly gazing into mine. "Chocolate milk is obviously the better flavour."

I sighed in exasperation. "Get on with what you need to say."

Aleena rolled her eyes and then beckoned for me to walk forward. "I wanted to know what happened between you and Aaron yesterday."

I shot her a look but she shrugged.

"I'm just curious."

"No, you're not. You're intrusive."

She paused at this, letting the word replay in her head before nodding. "Well I can't argue with that."

I walked beside her, glancing around for the tell-tale green eyes but he hadn't gotten off the bus yet. At this point, I was glad I walked to school.

"So can my intrusive self hear about what happened?" She tried again hopefully.

I frowned but under her cat-like eyes, I finally mumbled, "Fine. There's nothing really much to say though."

"I don't care; I want to know."

I gave her a reproachful look but still continued. "He was acting weird and ignored me most of chemistry and when I tried to ask him what was going on, he stormed off."

Her mouth fell open, her brown irises darkening. "Is that it?"

I stared at her blankly. "Why, what more is there I should tell you?"
She yanked out a knot from her hair, looking somewhat crestfallen. "I don't know, something more dramatic."

I frowned. "Like?"

"Well I thought you guys did the dirty and then you pissed him off by declaring your love and he got cold feet so he refused to acknowledge he was ever interested."

I wanted to hit her. But more than anything, I wanted to know what went on in that brilliant head of hers.

"There is so many things wrong with that story." I finally managed to say.

She shrugged harmlessly. "At least it's interesting."

I glanced over to her. She was humming a tune to the music playing in one ear, tapping her fingers ideally on the black belt around her ripped jeans. Her hair hung in curly wisps, tangling down to brush the denim jacket she wore. I noticed it had dull, metal spikes on the shoulders.

I ran my hand through my hair, feeling somewhat self-conscious by her previous comment. Her eyes caught my movement and she glanced down at my hand.

"If anyone asks you how you got that scar please never tell them it was from a pencil."

I swallowed numbly. It was actually from that pathetic waste of space, Miss Anderson. But I couldn't say the words. I hadn't told Aleena about what happened, and I wasn't playing on it. I knew what her reaction would be. She'd burst out laughing, exclaiming she would wet herself and then never let me hear the end of it. It was for the best that she assumed I had tripped over onto a pencil. Which, however, was probably just as bad as the real scenario.

"Why? My story is one to remember," I said disdainfully.

Aleena snorted. "For all the wrong reasons."

I pulled a face which resulted in Aleena whispering something about racoons under her breath.

"Did you watch the news last night?" She suddenly said, slamming into a student who was running past her by accident. She hissed a word I wouldn't repeat in front of my grandmother – not that she's alive – and then turned back to me innocently.

"No why?" I asked, entering the main hallway. No one was around. There was only a few students who glanced around glumly, their eyes as haunted as the school grounds.

"No one went missing." She reached out for her locker, reaching to play with the lock, her black nails standing out against the silver colour.

I nodded but said nothing. How would one respond to that? I couldn't exclaim that was great news because it wasn't. If the best news was that no one was stolen, the answer was already right in front of us.

No one would be safe. The disappearances wouldn't stop.

As I reached for my books, I couldn't help but wish to delve back into the past, to the way things were before. Before Aaron and Isaac came, before Aleena was dragged down with the disappearances, before Miss Anderson arrived, before Mum struggled with depression...

Before Dad died.

Her words interrupted my thoughts. "Better save me some chocolate milk for lunch."

I smiled at her, wiping away my previous thoughts. "Can't risk getting slapped now can I?"

She smirked back, but I could tell from years of knowing her that her smile didn't reach her eyes.

....

Miss Packer, my art teacher, let the class use the lesson to continue our final sketches. For me, that gave me the time to brood and realise that I had no idea where to start. I knew what I wanted to draw, I knew from the moment the assessment task was released.

Sketch an object, thing, person or item that resonates with you. Detail the sketch then paint it with realism techniques.

The only thing that currently resonated with me was a four legged creature with yellow eyes. I now stared at the picture I had taken of him, and the small sketches I had initially started days ago. The page was nothing more than shapes and scrawled lines, but it was taking some form of detail.

I scanned the classroom, trying to pin point the guy who was painting a chest the last time I saw him. His techniques had been unique, and I wanted to ask him for some tips but I was only granted with an empty seat where he used to sit, his art book discarded to the corner of the bench. I swallowed loudly and glanced to the girl next to me. I had never spoken to her, but merely studied her. She was a talented girl, she had a way with painting that made it seem effortless. I was always envious of her canvas prints.

Last lesson she was painting a horse, the design covered in pastel colours to give off a whimsical appeal but now she had scrunched up that artwork and was onto detailing another drawing.

I narrowed my eyes and leaned closer to understand her drawing. I took in a picture of a little girl, her grey eyes rounded in a childlike manner. Her cheeks were full, her eyelashes skimming the braids that ran down the side of her freckled face. Her lips were arched into a huge grin, her white teeth bursting from within her smile. Her nose was scrunched from her smile, with little dints in her cheeks that I understood to be her dimples.

The girls hair was brown, with long, thin wisps splaying from the braids to tickle her face in a dramatic way. I noticed small freckles dotted around her nose and under her eyes. Her cheeks were blossoming red, rosy in happiness.

But there was something in the girls eyes that made me lean even further. A reflection was beautifully drawn into the little girls irises. I registered it as a silhouette of another girl hugging the smaller girl into an embrace.

The sketch was beautiful and detailed, making it seem as though I truly was looking at the little girl in front of me.

"She's beautiful," I felt myself whisper. The girl next to me jumped as if realising I was there and then proceeded to nod slowly. She didn't stop shading around the little girl's eyes, enlarging her pupils.

"She is isn't she?" Her voice was as soft as her brush techniques. I noticed freckles dotted her knuckles. I could almost feel her smile as she spoke and I felt a small smile play at my lips.

Curiosity soon became the better of me. "Who is she?"

The girl paused, her pencil hovering over her sketch in hesitation. Her pupils enlarged in panic and I opened my mouth to assure her she didn't have to answer my abrupt question but before I could voice anything, she responded.

"She's my sister." I could hear the tightness in her voice.

Before I could stop the words from escaping my mouth, I quickly asked, "What happened." As soon as I said it, I instantly dreaded the answer. The girl however seemed to take it in her stride. She didn't look at me when she answered, all her attention remained on the smiling, little girl.

Her voice was soft, barely above a whisper. "She went missing."

My breath hitched in my throat and goosebumps began to trail up my arm. "I'm so sorry –"

I began but she shook her head.

"It's fine, I get that a lot." A stab of guilt surged through me. She lifted her head to meet my eyes and I noticed her eyes were a beautiful shade of grey, speckled with a black undertone. She was a striking girl, with a heart shaped face and large gorgeous eyes.

"Is it okay if I ask how?" I said tentatively.

She hesitated, but then nodded after a few seconds of silence. "My sister usually has singing lessons after school and normally took the late bus home but our mother decided to collect her from school to limit the chance of her," she swallowed, "disappearing." Her mouth was twisting into a frown, her grey eyes unfazed and distant, as if she was living in her recollection.

"Mum thought that there was someone going around town taking children, so she asked if my little sister, would text her as soon as she finished singing lessons and to meet her in the school parking lot." As she talked, I could see her eyes brimming with tears, but they didn't spill over.

"She texted Mum late and said she was ready to be picked up. So Mum arrived at school shortly after, but she was nowhere to be found." Her voice wavered but still she continued. From the corner of my eye, I could see several other students watch us, their eyes softening with pity. I didn't want to think about how many people were related or knew the others that went missing. It would be too painful.

"Mum assumed that she might be waiting inside for her," She continued, her bottom lip trembling slightly. "But she wasn't there. We looked everywhere that whole night, all our hopes trained on the thought of her turning up to school the next day." She trailed off, her fingers clenching on her pencil. "But she never did."

Her tears finally overflowed, sliding down her pale cheeks silently. She didn't acknowledge they were there, instead she reverted her gaze back to her drawing. Pity wrapped itself around my heart, an icy numbness surging through me. This girl, this sister, was in terrible pain. And yet none of us could take it away, I couldn't take it away and it felt like agony.

"I'm so sorry." I repeated softly as the girl attempted to wipe her tears away. Miss Packer watched us from the corner of the room, her eyes rimmed with red. She reached over to retrieve a tissue.

I reverted my eyes back to the sketch, looking back at the little girl that smiled at me.

"What was her name?" I asked quietly, reaching over to stroke a gently thumb across the little girl's cheeks, as if I could feel her through the drawing. I heard the girl chuckle softly, her lips pulling into a small smile, although her eyes still portrayed sadness.

"Sarah." There was a gentleness in her voice that I could describe as sisterly love.

"Sarah." I repeated. I felt myself smile as I searched the striking eyes of her little sister.

"You love her." It was such an obvious statement, but I couldn't help but say it. My throat was dry, my eyes starting to cloud with tears. I never knew what it was like to have a sister.

I saw her nod, her eyes also remaining on the drawing of Sarah. "Yes, very much."

"She's still out there you know."

She glanced at me in, her eyes clouding over. "You think so?"

I returned her gaze and offered a smile. "I do. She wouldn't leave you, and I know you would do the same." I searched her grey eyes. "Both of you are stronger than you think and I don't doubt that."
The girl searched my eyes in wonder, her mouth ajar in a look of pure joy. I saw her return my smile and I felt my heart give a small squeeze, spreading me with a small wave of happiness.

I looked back down at the sketch before meeting the girl's eyes again. "She has your eyes."

The girl let out a breath, her eyes filled with hope. I didn't need to be told, her eyes held the words.

'Thank you.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 41 7
Humanity has fallen, the supernaturals have come out of hiding and taken control. Years after watching the chaos of The Fall Emelia is faced with her...
20.8K 1K 33
Does life have to be so complicated? Zoey didn't think so, that is, until she receives a certain letter. When Zoey initiated her first shift on her...
246 4 17
Kate is seventeen and she is in the blood moon pack the alpha is Dylan and he is eighteen and he's also looking for his mate. Dylan is possessive abo...
27.8K 474 26
A tale of supernatural, magical love and rival packs, In years, she transformed from a young girl to a strong alpha. A warrior. *** Ember Hemming. ...