Roots

Da xFakingaSmilex

While falling in love with a drug kingpin, Tikera must prove she can survive in his dangerous world - and con... Altro

Roots
Grassroots
Lavender
Sage
Weeds
Pebbles
Honey
Berries
Vanilla
Frangipani
Jasmine
Mint
Oleander
Dieffenbachia
Tulips
Aster
Chamomile
Bleeding Heart
Clover
Dead Nettle
Daisy
Echinacea
Roses
Hyacinth
Marigold
Rhododendron
Carnations
Strawberries
Daffodils
Sunflower
Orchid
Arnica
Dahlias
Calluna Vulgaris
Gerbera
Sakura
Hibiscus
Syringa
Petunia
Forsythia
Snapdragon
Lotus
Poison Ivy
Elderflower
Asclepias Tuberosa
Daucas Carota
Magnolia
Dianthus
Camellia
Allium
Aloe Vera
Malus Pumila
Peppermint
Ipomoea Alba
Centaurea Cyanus
Phlox
Aconitum
Amaryllis
Chrysanthemums
Erica Carnea
Calendula
Begonia
Strelitzia Reginae
Eucalyptus
Gloxinia
Violets
Fennel
Thyme
Belladonna
Heliotrope
Juniperus Communis
Hawthorn
Hyssop
Larkspur
Primula Vulgaris
Celastrus Orbiculatus
Allium Sativum
Cactaceae
Calathea
Matthiola
Lily
Other Stories You Might Enjoy!

Acacia

28.9K 1.2K 523
Da xFakingaSmilex

Acacia

The bedroom door swings open as my mother storms inside. She places her hand on her hip and frowns. Her glare isn't frightful but I feel guilty for being the reason behind her attempt to appear scary.

I want to throw the covers over my head and hide, but from previous experience, that doesn't work. You can't disappear, especially when you're an only child.

"Tikera Jamie Copeland, I'm very disappointed in you."

"I told you before, I'm going to work soon and I can't come downstairs and play happy families." I sigh. "I should be napping otherwise I'll be too tired to function."

"You haven't been to work in weeks, and I know because I've seen you lazing in that coffee shop down the street. There's no excuse! Your father needs you downstairs to entertain Marcus."

Now I really wish I could hide.

"But I hate Marcus, he's gross and annoying. Why can't you put him in front of the television screen? I'm sure he'd be happier with that."

"He's twenty-five, not five."

"Are you sure about that? He sure acts like a five-year-old would."

"This is rich coming from someone who won't entertain guests for a few hours." She taps her foot on the floor and crosses her arms.

"Fine, I'll do it, but I won't pretend to be happy."

"I want to see happy smiles and hear cheerful laughter and glowing reviews about the awesome time they've had. This is important to your father, so it should be important to you."

"I'm sorry, consider me happy as a dandy."

"Thank you, Tikera." Her posture softens. "Wear your bathers, maybe you can go swimming."

"Swimming?" I frown.

"Wear something nice and flattering."

"I'd rather garden naked in front of an old man then parade myself in front of Marcus."

"Tikera." Mum gasps.

"I'm getting dressed."

"Thank you." She closes the door and I press my face into the pillow.

I wander outside and plonk onto the plush daybed. As I sprawl along it, I tug my yellow sundress down. The couch is usually covered with a navy blue tarp, but today it's on display along with the Boho-style table.

Dad and Mr. Sherman sit across from each other with Marcus beside his father.

The pair are wearing soft grey suits, but their jackets have subtle differences, making their outfits unique in their own way.

Mr. Sherman claps his son's shoulder and releases a hearty laugh. I roll my eyes with disgust. How much longer do I have to put up with this?

"He's always been good at sports but he's even better with accounting."

Marcus plays with the buttons on his jacket and chuckles.

"The way my father talks, I hope it isn't wasted breath."

Dad shakes his head. "With a mentor like your father, you won't have a doubt worth worrying about."

"Thank you, William." Marcus smiles.

"How is your daughter? Tia, right?" Mr. Sherman grins.

I'm not sure what my parents were thinking when they decided on Tikera, it seems too hard for people to comprehend.

"Tikera is wonderful, she's taking a small break from her studies. You know how the pressure can get." Dad chuckles.

"You should've had a son, they are hardier than females, and they don't require maternity breaks or whine about child-raising."

Dad's grin tightens.

I stand up and stretch my arms above my head. The dress trails along my thighs, capturing the attention of Mr. Sherman and Marcus.

Once our eyes meet, I smile at Mr. Sherman and wave. He jerks backwards but recovers with a beaming smile.

"Good afternoon, Tikera."

"Same to you, Mr. Shitman."

Marcus bites on his lower lip, but the joke isn't well-received with my father, and certainly not with Mr. Sherman. The back door opens and Mrs. Sherman and my mother wander out with dainty cups of tea.

"Oh my, Tikera, darling, you have blossomed into a beautiful young woman, don't you think, Marcus?"

"Thank you, Mrs. Sherman." I smile. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I was about to go for a swim."

"Marcus, you should go with Tikera," Mum encourages.

I want to shoot her a glare, but I think of one person who makes me happy, and I smile through the annoyance.

Marcus sighs as he slips out of the chair and wanders to the decking's edge. I step down the stairs and veer to the right. Thankfully, the pool area is hidden from the deck's view.

"I'm sorry about my parents, they're..." Marcus rolls his eyes.

"Extra?" I laugh.

"That's kinder than I would have put it." He chuckles.

"Didn't you know parents are there to embarrass us? My mother says it's payback from the public tantrums I pulled as a toddler."

"Yikes, I must have pulled some bad ones to deserve that." He shakes his head.

"Don't worry, Karma will get them."

"I hope so because their matchmaking skills are terrible."

"Good luck with that."

"But I do agree with one thing." Marcus's eyes travel down the length of my body. "You are very beautiful today."

"Thanks! I guess you're not so annoying today." I giggle.

Marcus shakes his head and smiles.

I open the gate and we shuffle through. Marcus walks around the edge of the pool, stopping when he catches the shade from the acacia tree.

It's an odd plant to have beside a pool, but it was there before my parents decided to add a pool to our yard—a pool we don't use, just like most of the stuff in our house.

Slipping out of my yellow sundress, I discard it on the ground and step into the pool. The cold water laps at my body and a shiver coils down my spine.

I dunk my head under the surface and float to the surface. I lay on my back and stare at the blue sky.

I take a deep breath and frown. Dipping under the water, I paddle to the middle of the pool and look at Marcus. He's lounging against the tree with a rolled joint between his lips.

He's either very brave or despises his father enough to smoke an illegal substance during an important meeting at our house

Whatever the reason, I ignore it in favour of floating on my back. I enjoy the last glowing rays of the afternoon sun on my cheeks.

I stay afloat until cold water splashes across my face. My body jerks under the surface and I find my feet on the floor of the pool.

Marcus surfaces with a grin on his face. He paddles to me with a cheeky glint in his gleaming eyes.

"Hey, Marcus."

"This pool is amazing."

He flicks his head, sending a stream of water flying through the air. His brown hair slicks back but little droplets trail down his cheek.

"It's pretty nice, especially under the warmth of the afternoon sun."

"What's that buzzing noise?"

"Probably—wait, no, that's my phone." I hurry across the pool and grab my phone out of the pocket of my dress. I answer the phone and hover the device beside my ear.

"Hello?" I frown.

"Hurry up, Tikera." Marcus grumbles.

"Shh." I splash water in his direction.

"Tikera," a man snaps.

"Yes?"

"Come here straight away." The call ends but I recognise the voice.

I charge towards the pool steps, my heart thumping in my chest.

"What's wrong? It looks like you've seen a ghost."

"It's, um, my friend." I lie. "They are in trouble and I need to go. I'm sorry, enjoy the pool though."

I collect my dress and head to the house. Mum frowns as I trail water across the deck.

"I'm really sorry, but my friend is in trouble and I must leave."

"Okay, message me when you can," says Mum.

"What is that smell?" Mrs. Sherman sniffs the air.

"Hm, it smells rather pungent," Mum comments.

I step away from them and take one of the towels on the daybed and attempt to dry myself. When the water isn't trickling down my thighs, I slip the dress on and hurry to my car.

* * * * *

Pebbles swings around and frowns.

"Why are you wet?"

"I was in the middle of swimming when you called. I came straight here. I thought you were in trouble."

"I wouldn't call you if I was in trouble."

"Then I'll leave you be." I take a step back.

"Wait." He raises a hand. "Who were you with?"

"Hm?" I frown. "Just a friend."

"Who's your friend?"

"Why do you care about the people I hang out with?"

"Tikera."

"If it soothes your paranoia, his name is Marcus, and no, he doesn't run a secret group of people wanting to steal your plants. He's too high and pissed at his Dad for that."

"I'm not paranoid about your boyfriend, and I need you to work a night shift."

"He's not my boyfriend." I shiver at the thought.

"Do you have any spare clothing or is that it?"

"This is it, I'm afraid."

"You can shower first."

"I should—" I close my mouth. I really need the money and it beats sitting with a stoned Marcus. "Thank you, it's rather cold standing in these damp clothes."

Pebbles abandons his post and climbs the ladder. I race up the ladder and around the corner. We enter the house and he veers into a room which I'd seen the woman in the skimpy underwear go into.

He turns the light on and I'm surprised by how clean the room is. There's a large bed pressed against the far wall which overlooks the bathroom.

"The bathroom is there." He points ahead.

"Wait, you want me to shower in here?"

"Yes."

He grabs a set of clothing from a drawer and passes them to me.

"Clean towels are under the sink. Don't take too long."

"I'll be quick."

I scurry into the bathroom and turn the tap on. The water splashes against the tiles and I glance over my shoulder. The Boss remains stagnant in the room, carefully watching.

I place my hand under the stream of water and smile at the warm water. I slip the dress over my head and discard it on the floor, the material gathering at a pile beside my feet.

"Don't you have plants to watch?" I laugh.

"Leave your clothes in the bathroom and I'll wash them for you."

"Thank you."

When I turn back around, the room is empty.

I remove my bathers and step into the shower. Water splatters against my back, soothing the chill that was once there.

Once I'm warm, I sit on the ground and look through the bottles. I'm surprised there isn't girly stuff.

I wash my body and step out of the shower. Water drips onto the ground as I take a towel and wrap it around my body.

The mirror is foggy but I still cringe at my knotty hair. What was I thinking when I decided to race here? He's right, he wouldn't call me if he was in danger.

On the plus side, I'm wearing his clothes and they smell like him.

I tug on the shirt and chuckle because it reaches an inch under my behind. The shorts drop to the ground because they don't fit and I groan. I hope the wind doesn't blow up.

My clothes are dripping wet, and I have no other choice. I place the clothes on the bench and toss the towel in the laundry hamper.

I inhale a deep breath and wander outside. The Boss walks around the corner and I halt to a stop.

"Where are your pants?"

"They were too big."

"I'll wash your clothing now."

"Thank you."

He enters the house while I wander to the hole.

Nothing has changed since I was last here, other than a few weeds in the garden. Perhaps that's a good thing, perhaps it isn't.

* * * * *

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

2.6K 155 34
With a drug lord for a father and an addict for a mother, Jade Taylor has been dealt a pretty shabby hand in life. Her childhood was spent in a const...
6K 131 41
"Tell me to stop." He pants heavily resting his forehead on mine. "Don't." I say back just as out of breath. Then he presses his lips harder agains...
7.1K 604 36
One day you're taking enemy fire downrange in the deserts of Afghanistan, and the next you have shrapnel buried so deep in your thigh that you'll nev...
4.8K 227 25
"Rosie, I'm no fucken angel. People like me are the ones I'm trying to protect you from."-Mateo De Leon "What if I don't need protection? I'm old eno...