Northern at Heart [ GoT ]

By gxmeofthrones

❝I swear by the old gods and the new - if you ever hurt those I love, I will make sure you burn in the deepes... More

i n t r o d u c t i o n
northern at heart // playlist
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
A/N & edits!
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
more edits!
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
author note!
update!
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
author note!
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R

S E V E N T E E N

3.1K 83 5
By gxmeofthrones

lady marla ashwood

THAT NIGHT, MARLA AND ROBB became reacquainted in all ways imagined—especially physically. They made love many times, but it was truthfully more than a physical connection. It was like their souls were finally being intertwined after so long of being apart. Marla had told him everything about her journey—and it was a long, very shocking story about her bad luck these past two years—from killing a Lannister solider to escaping the Red Keep. Though Robb didn't admit it, the mention of Ryder made him jealous. 

Marla was curled up in Robb's arms, her head resting in the crook of his neck. It was still dark outside, but dawn was approaching soon.

"Let's get married tomorrow," Robb blurted out, biting his lip as he sat up to face Marla.

She giggled and sat up as well, running her hand along his jawline. "Really?"

"Yes, really. We'll get a septon and find a beautiful place for the ceremony—just you and I."

She smiled at the thought of it, tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear. "Of course I'll marry you, Robb Stark."

She threw her arms around her lover as he rolled on top of her, planting a delicate kiss on her lips. "I'm the King in the North, making you my queen. I wouldn't have it any other way," he mused, stroking her rosy cheeks softly. His blue eyes pierced into her, sharper than knives. "And I promise—I will kill those Lannisters before they ever lay a hand on you again."

She pursed her lips anxiously. "Do not make promises you cannot keep, my love."

"That is one I very much intend to keep," he replied, laying down beside her and wrapping his long arms around her waist.

"I've seen how Cersei Lannister is; I've seen her true colors. She's manipulative, but not as smart as she thinks she is. I know her better than you, and I know she wants her brother back more than anything."

He sighed. "I do not have the Kingslayer any longer. My mother—without my knowing—sent her sworn sword to deliver Jaime Lannister back to King's Landing in return for Sansa."

Marla's eyes widened at the news. "Once Cersei has Jaime, we have no leverage. Getting Sansa back will be nearly impossible."

Robb pinched his brow. "I know. Trust me, I was angry with my mother...but I can't blame her for wanting her daughter back."

Marla nodded in agreement. She, too, would have done the same thing had Sansa been her own daughter.

"Let's not talk of politics any longer. We have a wedding to look forward to," Marla chirped lightheartedly, placing a sweet kiss on Robb's cheek.

"Indeed we do."

Marla and Robb told no one of their marriage plans, except for Catelyn. When she found out, Marla swore she saw tears form in Catelyn's eyes. Lady Stark wholeheartedly wanted to agree with the marriage, but the threat of Walder Frey was hanging over her head. Robb was betrothed to one of Walder's daughters. Of course Robb never intended to keep the promise of marrying a Frey woman; he was already in love with Marla.

Marla had no clue about Robb having to marry a Frey girl, so he asked her to leave the room for a moment alone with his mother. If Marla knew Robb needed to marry another for political gain, she would have let him. She knew how important winning this war was for him.

"Walder Frey is not a man you wish to cross," Catelyn warned, clasping her son's hands in her own. "If you marry Marla, you'll be risking everything you've worked so hard for."

"You know how much Marla means to me, mother. You can't expect me to marry someone I don't love," he shook his head, tearing his hands from her grasp. "I will marry Marla. Tonight."

Catelyn watched as her firstborn son left the room briskly, running a hand through his curls. He was doing the right thing, wasn't he?

Lady Catelyn felt a pain of worry hit her. Her gut was warning her the worst was going to happen. 

________________________________

Marla eyed herself in the mirror. It was minutes before her wedding, and a Tully handmaiden was helping ready her for "dinner" with King Robb. They didn't want their marriage to be kept secret forever—just for a little while.

Her hair had been done up in a braided and twisty bun on top of her head, revealing her slim, heart-shaped face. A small amount of red lip rouge had been added to enhance her already-pink lips. She was donning a beautiful gown; it was a deep navy blue with periwinkle accents on the sleeves and skirt of the dress.

"I'm all finished, my lady. Do you wish for me to escort you to the dining hall for your meal with King Robb?" The handmaiden asked.

"No, you have done enough. You may go. Thank you."

With a curt nod, the girl left the room.

Marla sucked in a deep breath and shut her eyes. She imagined her life with Robb Stark, reigning as Queen in the North alongside her king. It was a reality she never thought she'd be living, but it was happening. Right before her eyes.

Robb and Marla decided to hold the small ceremony in Riverrun's godswood, not in the sept. It was far too risky to hold it in such a public place such as a sept. Marla felt somewhat disappointed she couldn't have a wedding of the old gods, but there were no weirwoods that far south. Either way she was marrying Robb, which made her content enough.

Marla glanced at her figure one last time in the mirror before exiting her chambers, butterflies fluttering in her stomach. She cascaded down the halls of Riverrun's Keep, catching a few compliments along the way.

"You look so beautiful, my lady," a thin brunette woman complimented. Marla remembered her name as Talisa—she helped with wounded soldiers and prisoners of war. Robb had spoken of her a few times, mentioning how talented she was when it came to healing.

"Thank you," Marla smiled warmly in return.

She continued her journey out to the godswood until she saw the small dirt path that led to their ceremony. At the end was Robb; an unreadable look on his face, but Marla could see the smile he was holding back.

This wasn't a traditional wedding—therefore Marla had no one to give her away. She imagined that if this was a real, non-secretive wedding—and if he was still alive—she'd have Lord Stark walk her down the aisle. As she floated down the dirt path, she envisioned Ned Stark beside her, smiling with pride.

After what felt like an eternity, she reached the large tree that was used as a makeshift ceremony space. She took her place facing Robb. A goofy grin pulled at her lips and he chuckled under his breath. Is this really happening? Her thoughts were running a mile a minute.

The septon cleared his throat, "You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection."

Robb did as the septon commanded, removing Marla's cloak with the Ashwood sigil on it, and replacing it with his Stark cloak, wrapping it around his beautiful bride. Marla's brown eyes were filled with wonder and hope and joy. Robb's blue ones were filled with love and happiness and awe.

"We stand here in the sight of gods and men to witness the union of man and wife. One flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever," the septon proclaimed, his eyes darting from Marla to Robb.

The couple then turned to face the septon, standing side by side. He began to tie the ceremonial ribbon around their hands, binding them together.

"Let it be known that Robb of the House Stark and Marla of the House Ashwood are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder." The septon continued, "In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity."

The septon unraveled the ribbon, allowing the two to face each other once more. "Look upon each other and say the words," he commanded.

"Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger. I am his and he is mine, from this day, until the end of my days," Marla spoke simultaneously with Robb. She was nervous as can be, but as she stared into Robb's eyes she felt unbelievably calm.

"With this kiss, I pledge my love," Robb lulled. He leaned into his lover, grabbing onto her face and planting a kiss on her lips gently.

As Marla and Robb locked arms to make their way back inside the Keep, he whispered in her ear, "Looks like it's time for the bedding ceremony."

________________________________

EIGHTEEN ! ✔️
It's official!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 195 12
,,This story unlike many others from this world begins not with fire and blood, not with debt needed to be paid or not even with a winter that was co...
3.2K 62 11
❝ One for sorrow Two for joy Three for a girl Four for a boy Five for silver Six for gold Seven for a secret, never to be told Eight for heaven Nine...
80.8K 1.7K 13
"Don't worry, I will leave you all at your peace" "I would never let you leave me so easily. I need you to understand this!" This story takes place b...
4.1K 162 33
A lady, a secret heir and a princess from a distant land. Blood will spill and ashes will rain down from the skies above, but will the three pillars...