Black Sheep

By goldenscares666

Y/N gets more than she bargained for when getting to know the mystery creature that's been living in her shop... More

Pins and Needles
Panic Attack
Prom Dresses
I Hate Bubblegum
Familiar Faces
Bad Dreams
Devilish Deal
Prom Night
Bed Rest
One Hell of a Castle
Stubborn Silence
The Worst Luck
Hellish Creature
Mephistopheles
Unfinished Business
Caring Companion
New Beginnings
Peter
Silent Familiar
Ramsey
Power Restraints
Cain
The Fallen Angel
Dinner Plans
Marquas and Eric
Accidents Happen
Servant for a Day
Seduction of the Inferno
Nick/Nicholas
Sibling Rivalry
Lambs of the King
A Loving Demon
Underworld Beasts
Coffee Date
Threads of the Heart
Wonderful Affection
The Fortune Teller
Medicine Man
Dakota/Koda
Luther
The King's Quiet Tongue
Unexpected Visitor
Passer of Judgement
Mephistopheles II
Unstable Recovery
Attention, Attention
Painful Thoughts
Reverse of Curses
Snake Coils are Surprisingly Warm
Head Stuffed With Wool
Cain II
Fateful Decisions
When the White Fleece Greys
Lord Lucifer
A Story's Other Half
Human's Choice
You Have Such Dazzling Eyes, Darling
Slow Moving Feet Quicken
Long Forgotten Roots of a Dying Tree
The Things We're Afraid to Hear
Gluttonous Song
Beelzebub
Don't Poke the Scorpion

Common Misconception

5.3K 341 151
By goldenscares666

•Y/N: Your Name

————————————————
Your POV:
________________________________

Our walk continues, and my admiration for the kingdom's unique architecture hasn't faltered in the slightest. Every building holds its own charm, and I'm sure I'd be able to see a lot more if we were to walk across one of the bridges attached between the many tall towers. I bet I could view the whole kingdom if I picked the right one. A certain structure catches my eye, a large, round building right across the river that peeks over a few businesses and houses. I tug on Phil's sleeve for his attention while pointing at it. I hardly noticed when he tensed up.

"What's that place, over there?" There was a small pause before he answered, something I didn't think too much about.

"An arena," he says simply.

"Like for sports?" I question, raising a curious brow. It makes me wonder if demons have any sports that are different than human ones. I can only imagine the possibilities when their powers come into play.

"Not... exactly," Mephistopheles pauses again with a look of thought on his face. My guess is that he's figuring out a good way to word his explanation so that I can clearly understand. "It's a place where demons go to fight each other. It helps reduce violence on the streets, and most like to make a spectacle of themselves anyways, so it works pretty well. Of course, not everyone uses it, but it's a popular spot for those who place bets and such."

I hum in response, dropping it entirely after hearing what goes on there. It sounds like a place I don't want to be. Still, my eyes linger there for a few more seconds before they shift over to a line of monstrous-looking kids lead by a demon woman with curled, brown hair. She spots us in an instant, and her features lit up like a spark. Phil gave a quiet groan as they approach cheerfully and mutters a warning. "Brace yourself."

"For what?" There was no time for him to answer my question, however, as the unknown woman stands in front of us before giving a deep and respective bow. She urges with a hand behind her back for the children to follow her example, and they did. She pops up soon after with a wide grin full of crooked teeth. The lady is a tad taller than myself while being much smaller than my guide, and her features were mostly human, yet inhuman at the same time. It was like she was wearing a human's skin on her body, which I'm sure is not the case, but that is what her looks resembled. It was unsettling all the same.

"Oh, how lucky we are to find you this fine morning, your majesty! I hope you aren't too busy to give a little lesson?" She spoke clearly in a posh, British accent with every word properly annunciated. Her question caught me a little off-guard.

'Lesson? As in a school?' I peer around her at the smaller demons, noting that they all have distinctive features but are all equally terrifying in their own way. I found I could not look at them long because I was unsettled by their unnerving stare. It seemed like every eye was on me, not the King at my side. One's lips even spilled drool onto the stone path. A little anxious, I sought safety by standing partially behind Phil, knowing that he'll protect me should any of them decide to pounce. My companion sighs deeply but smiles politely at the woman.

"I suppose I can spare a few minutes, but be quick with it." Clasping her hands together, the woman giggles joyously. She was much too cheery for my tastes. I couldn't help being on edge.

"Excellent!" With the turn of her heel, she faces the children, who's eyes immediately fix onto her. I feel a squeeze around my hand and look up to find a reassuring gaze on Phil's features, which helps to ease me, as the woman begins the lesson with a rather irksome question. "Now, does anyone know what that is?" My jaw nearly dropped when a crooked finger pointed at me. I knew right away where this was going, and it made my stomach flip because I know Phil is in no mood to deal with another one of these mixups.

"A lamb!" They shout, almost in perfect sync. In that moment, I could practically feel the anger radiating off of Phil, though his grip had not tightened in the slightest, nor did he twitch.

"Precisely! Now, this is a very important lesson indeed. You see: she is not chained up yet, which means she's ripe for the taking. Of course, she has already been chosen, as you can see—"

"Pardon," Phil intervenes, restricting the annoyance in his voice, gaining the teacher's attention.

"Yes? You have something to add, my lord?" Her excitement grew at the thought of him contributing to the lesson, probably expecting him to say something that'd wow them. In a way, he would.

"I'm afraid you are mistaken. This woman is not a lamb." The kids all gave a look of confusion, and their instructor was baffled as well. "She is what is called a sheep. Does anyone know what that name means?" The woman nearly choked and sputtered out quiet nonsense, unsure if she should intervene; in fact, she looked quite fearful. Likely, she assumed that if she did interrupt someone of such high standing, she'd be punished for it. Long claws stretch towards the crimson sky and waved like crazy for the attention of the King. Phil ushers the child to answer his query with the slight nod of his head. With all the confidence in the world, he shouted this,

"My friend says that sheep are for pussies and that they should all be exterminated!" The boy spoke with the most cheerful grin on his lips, expecting to be told he was right, while his response left me frozen in shock. Is that how the people in my position are viewed in this world? Is it so bad that a demon sought company in another person? Why would such an idea be hated so? I thought for sure Phil would take the boy's head off then and there, but he restrained himself, speaking calmly, yet deadly, with narrowed eyes.

"I'm afraid your friend is incorrect. A sheep is a person a demon holds fondness for, someone who brings joy into their life that isn't a passing fling. Though, a sheep is not limited to their titles. They can be servants, they could be other demons, or they could be like mine," With a gentle shove, I'm placed in front of him, something I didn't much appreciate. I don't like how the one with two heads is staring at me. I remain stiff as his hands plant heavily on top of my shoulders and do my best not to shake. "A living human. They can also carry a certain label, depending on the sort of relationship they agree upon: a servant, a pet or, more uncommonly, a mate."

The very mention of a mate was enough to get their noses to scrunch in disgust. It was a reaction that almost made me feel shameful to be a sheep. Are his subjects going to treat him differently knowing he has a sheep now? Will they view him as a weaker being? Will they not think him worthy of his crown because of me? I look down at my feet as these questions race through my head, but his next words seemed to be a hidden message to assure me, though he was still speaking to the kids.

"Though it is not a common practice, it should not be treated as a weakness. There is no point in denying emotions. It'll only make them fester, and if that happens, that is what'll be a person's downfall." I stare up at Phil in awe, nearly brought to tears by the sincereness of his tone. If I wasn't so nervous right now, I might've whispered a thank you. The teacher clears her throat, bringing everyone's gaze back to her as she asks,

"C- Care to explain which category yours falls under?" She did little to hide her distaste for the subject, though she still put up a polite front. She almost seemed hopeful that I might just be a close, personal servant to Mephistopheles.

"A pet for the time being."

  "I see... Well, we best be off. Don't want to keep you. I'm sure you're a busy man. Come along now, children!" She shepherds her school of monsters away as quickly as possible to get out of our way, seeming to regret coming over. This makes my companion huff.

"What was that all about?" I ask, looking up at him as he continues to glare in their direction.

"Not everyone sees eye-to-eye on the sheep thing. A lot are against it," he explains before muttering something under his breath that I didn't quite catch. Whatever it was got him to sigh and slump his shoulders as he peers down at me with apologetic eyes. "I'm sorry if they bothered you." I shake my head.

"It's fine. It was just unexpected. I'm guessing that was some sort of school or something, right?"

"Basically. Essentially, they wander around, questioning random demons on tips to help the newcomers prepare for their future duties here in Hell and to give them a good grasp on how things are run down here. Our term for them is packs. They are led by a host, like that woman, who houses and teaches them until they decide they're ready to live on their own. The number of packs have been increasing as of late. More sinners are finding their way here, and we can use all the help we can get. Sometimes, there are more people than we know what to do with. That can lead to many troubles."

  "That's interesting."

"Packs are still a new practice, but they've been working well, I think. It only started up a century ago... Oh, but I suppose that'd be considered a long time for a human, like yourself. That is essentially a whole lifetime for you." I simply nod. "Also, sorry for putting you in the spotlight. Preferably, I'd like for more demons to know you are mine. It will make things much easier to ensure your safety."

"Do whatever you think is necessary, then," I say with a smile. "I know how much it frustrates you to hear them mix things up, and I'd hate to be more trouble than I'm worth."

"Don't say such silly things, you are no trouble for me, Y/N. If it came down to it, I'd exterminate all of Heaven if it meant you'd be safe." His gruesome compliment sent my heart aflutter, and I could tell he meant it too. If he wasn't so damn tall, I'd kiss him. I settle for holding his hand, for now, and give it a tight squeeze. This brings a smile to his face. "Let's head back to the castle. Lord Lucifer is likely waiting for my return, and if I make him wait too long, he might blow a fuse," he says lightheartedly.

"Oh? Is he short-tempered?" I wonder.

"I wouldn't say that, but he has a habit of playing pranks whenever I'm late to 'teach me a lesson'. The last time, I found my throne seat covered in Cerberus' slobber, then when I stood up, Sabbath had somehow managed to tie my shoelaces together. He's a quick, little bastard, I'll give him that." Phil heaves an annoyed sigh at the memory, while I stifle a laugh. I find it funny how a scary, demon king and Lucifer himself mess around like immature children when no one's looking. I suppose everyone likes to let loose sometimes. He cracks a smile at me. "Besides, there's still one more thing I'd like to show you." Now, that peeked my interest, but when I asked what it is, he refused to tell me.

He became more amused when I persisted and pleaded him not to keep it a secret, but his lips were sealed the whole way back to the castle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

634K 34.6K 67
Time didn't matter to her. She got up when the sun did and tried to sleep when the sun went down. because of this seemingly endlessness, she's forgot...
611 27 8
"I- you what?!" You exclaimed, staring at him in shock. "I'm sure you heard me the first time, (Name)." he placed a hand on your shoulder and leaned...
37.1K 696 8
Y/N L/N is a human boy who just lost his job and is looking for work until one day he saw 3 red creatures with horns running down an alleyway when he...
5.2K 154 18
Y/N, the sinner who sold their soul to Lucifer, the King of Hell. Heh, the only reason Y/N sold their soul was because they needed a job-but they did...