RWBY: Pale Heart

By LVonarch

(F/N) Light was by all accounts a smart kid, he was good at understanding how things worked but when it came... More

Chapter 1: Peers
Chapter 3: Short Stay
Chapter 4: My Haven
Chapter 5: Jaded
Chapter 6: Going Downhill
Chapter 7: Et Moriar
Chapter 8: With Friends Like These
Chapter 9: To Set The Stone
Chapter 10: Close Calls
Chapter 11: The Devil On Your Shoulder
Chapter 12: Fail, Fall, And Fate
Chapter 13: Plucking Feathers
Chapter 14: All Things Must Die
Chapter 15: Dragons Never Die
Chapter 16: In The Beginning
Chapter 17: Passengers
Chapter 18: Grimm On A Train
Chapter 19: Cold Welcome
Chapter 20: Bergwerk
Chapter 21: Actions Speak
Chapter 22: Snow And Sand
Chapter 23: Hello Red
Chapter 24: The Darkness Inside

Chapter 2: First Day Blues

8.4K 192 110
By LVonarch

(F/N) POV

With no real idea of what a team leader is supposed to do I decided to wing it, I had woken up early and started to wake the others up once I saw there was unpacking to do. I changed into my uniform while Cyan woke up Lapis who was still half asleep, while Auburn started unpacking her things. Once we were done and there was hours left I stood in the middle of the room with no idea of what to do next.

Cyan: "Are you okay (F/N)?"

(F/N): "Huh? Yeah, just... what should we do until it's time to go to class?"

Lapis: "Sleep!" She said as she fell onto her bed.

Auburn: "I'm going for a morning workout at the gym."

Cyan: "Oh! Why don't we do that?"

Lapis: "No!"

(F/N): *sigh* "I do need to train and catch up with all of you."

Cyan: "Then it's decided, Lapis, Auburn-" She looked where Auburn was standing. "Where'd she go?"

(F/N): "She bolted out of here after you said 'why don't we'."

Lapis: "More sleep." Cyan went and pulled the covers away from her, then dragged her to out of her bed and out into the hall.

(F/N): "Today is going to be great."

My sarcasm wasn't misplaced, after we went to the locker rooms to change I found I could hardly keep up with Cyan on the treadmill, even Lapis did better than me and she was still somewhat asleep. Luckily there weren't that many people in the gym this early, at least for today, I'd probably get laughed at for how little I can lift. When everyone was done with their workout we hit the showers and dressed in our uniforms for our first class. Some students had already arrived, the professor was a grey-haired man that was a bit overweight named Port.

Port: "Please take your seats, class will begin shortly." Me and my team took our seats near the front, when class was about to start Ruby and her friends ran in at the last second.

Ruby: "Sorry we're late."

Port: "Every year there's at least one team that's late, come on and take your seats." I waved to Ruby.

(F/N): "Morning."

Ruby: "Morning (F/N)." Lapis leaned into my ear.

Lapis: "Does someone already have a crush?"

(F/N): "What? No." She giggled, but once Port cleared his throat we turned out attention to him.

Port: "Welcome to Beacon Academy, and welcome to Grimm Studies where you'll learn about what you may ask? Why the monsters! Demons! Prowlers of the night. Yes, the creatures of Grimm. These beasts go by many names, but I merely refer to them as prey. Hu-hah!" The room gets quiet. "Uhh, and you shall too, upon graduating from this prestigious academy. Now Vale, as well as the other three kingdoms, are safe havens in an otherwise treacherous world. Our planet is absolutely teeming with creatures that would love nothing more than to tear you to pieces." Yeah, I really don't want to be a Huntsmen, can I leave now?

Port: "And that's where we come in. Huntsmen! Huntresses..." He looks over to someone in Ruby's team and clicks his tongue, I really don't want to be here. "Individuals who have sworn to protect those who cannot protect themselves. From what you ask? Why... the very world!" A random student yells 'yeah' before sitting back down. "That is what you are training to become." Professor Port goes off to tell a story of his youth, a very pointless story with no moral to it.

Port: "The moral of the story? A true Huntsman must be honorable. A true Huntsman must be dependable. A true Huntsman must be strategic, well-educated, and wise! So, who among you believes themselves to be the embodiment of these traits?"

Weiss: "I do sir!" Someone pinched my side.

(F/N): "Hey!" I look to see Lapis giggling.

Port: "Ah Mr. Light and Ms. Schnee, please return when you're ready."

(F/N): "Lapis!"

Lapis: "What? I thought it would help you impress you know who."

(F/N): "No you're just mad because you got dragged out of bed."

Lapis: "You can't prove that!"

Port: "Mr. Light, you should get your weapon."

(F/N): "I... sigh, alright."

I went to my locker where I stored the rifle Ozpin gave me for initiation, I changed into my regular clothes and went back to class just in time. Weiss had finished getting ready before me and was standing at the front of the class, Port was across from her with a cage that shook. I went next to Weiss and took a deep breath, Cyan and Lapis cheered for me while all of Weiss' team cheered for her.

Port: "Ready? Begin!"

The cage opened, it was a creature of Grimm with the size and appearance of an armored boar, it was now charging me. I just froze, I had never fought a creature of Grimm before, I didn't know what to do, it was about to hit me when I felt a pull toss me to the side. I was thrown to the floor but stumbled back up and picked up my gun, Weiss had used her semblance to move me, as for the boar it missed and hit the wall. I tried not to freeze again and opened fire at it, but my bullets didn't even scratch its armor.

Auburn: "Underbelly, aim for it."

The boar readied for another dash at me, Weiss got in front and used a tilted glyph to throw it over our heads. I saw its underbelly, it was unarmored, I fired at it but my window of opportunity closed as it quickly got up. I asked Weiss if one of her glyphs could stab it from underneath, she sighed and stabbed her rapier into the floor as the boar charged at us, a blue glyph appeared under us but once the boar reached the edge of the glyph, ice shot out from the floor and skewered it, the boar started to disintegrate.

Port: "Not bad, not bad at all, you both are real Hunters in the making, now why don't you both take a seat."

Weiss: "I'll have refill these later." She took her weapon out of the ground and looked at the mechanism at the top of the hilt.

(F/N): "Why didn't you use that from the start?"

Weiss: "I don't like wasting Dust, besides I shouldn't of had to." She walked back to her seat, I felt kind of bad that she had to waste Dust to help me back there, for now though instead of saying anything more I went back to my own seat.

Cyan: "That wasn't that bad." Lapis giggled.

Auburn: "You froze. If you're going to be a leader you can't afford to do that." She didn't look at me as she said that.

(F/N): "Yeah... you're right."

For the rest of class I mostly just kept my head down and listened to Port's stories, all I want to do right now is work on my weapon, even if I fail to get it working. When class finally ended I was walking to the door when I suddenly fell face first onto the floor, some dude tripped me and was now smirking about it, Cyan helped me up and told me to just ignore the jerk. My team and I went to lunch, I wanted us to sit next to team RWBY, since Ruby was the first person I got along with here and the closest to being a friend.

Because they were already sitting with a team, vomit boy, Pyrrha, the 'it's morning' girl, and a guy, we sat away from the them at one of the few open tables. I was mostly just picking my food, hardly eating, without a word I got up and left, Cyan tried to ask me if something was wrong but I ignored her. Messaging Ozpin I learned where my workshop was, it wasn't mine so much as the academy workshop, in other words it's not a place I can go to be alone. Still I went there and found I had a locker, opening it revealed a stack of papers on the small shelf inside, my weapon designs.

Sitting at one of the empty tables I placed them down and started going through them, failure after failure, just like me being at Beacon it seemed hopeless. I then heard a knock coming from the door, I looked over and saw Ruby who asked if she could come in, it being an open workshop I told her she could do what she wanted. She took a chair and moved it next to me and acted awed by what she was seeing.

Ruby: "Wow, what are you making?"

(F/N): "Making? Funny, because I'm pretty sure all I've done is fail since I started."

Ruby: "Well what's wrong? Maybe I can help."

(F/N): "Do you know anything about nanotechnology?"

Ruby: "Uhhh.... nope. What is nanotechnology?" She scratched her head confused.

(F/N): "Something proposed by scientist but it is only thought of as fiction. As it stands the tech doesn't actually exist, and I was trying to change that."

Ruby: "Well, maybe you just need to take a break, I know when I had trouble designing Crescent Rose stepping away from it helped."

(F/N): *sigh* "Yeah, and do what? Study for classes I don't want to take, train for a job I don't want-"

Ruby: "You don't want to be a Huntsman?" She looked shocked.

(F/N): "No... the reason I even started this weapon... in a moment of weakness I lost someone close."

Ruby: "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I know what that's like... to lose someone."

(F/N): "I blamed myself and started working on it, it turned into this." I slide her the first blueprint of the nanobots. "The Cell."

Ruby: "Are those measurements right?"

(F/N): "Yep, the idea if the weapon can hide on your body like under your shirt and pants, but still allow you to move freely. The nanobots can also become any weapon, tool, or armor, it's the perfect thing for any Hunter. The only problem is I can't make them, and Ozpin clearly wasn't going to actually give me a proper lab to make them."

Ruby: "Maybe I can help? If you're really having that much trouble with it then a second head might help."

(F/N): "Second head huh? Sure..."

And so I started going over the designs while Ruby watched and either asked questions or made a comment on the design. Her 'help' didn't seem like it was going to pay off in any way, until she made the comment that sparked an idea in my head,  if I could create an advanced artificial intelligence it could come up with a way to build the nanobots, that or take over Remnant. Ruby didn't seem to care about the possibility of robots taking over, and was excited to see a robot with actual intelligence.

As days passed, I experienced my first account of bullying from the same guy who tripped me, Cardin was his name. On top of that even as I trained I stood no chance against anyone in Goodwitch's combat class except Jaune, otherwise known as vomit boy. Over those same days Ruby seemed to be trying to get close to me, when S.A.R.A the System for Advance Remote Automatons was nearly done Ruby asked me if I wanted to get something to eat with her, just the two of us.

I had never had the chance to have a girlfriend, and with things seeming sideways having someone to be there for me would be nice. I agreed to go with Ruby, and at while we were walking to the landing zone I asked if it was a date, she blushed in response with a said yes. I simply patted her on the head, she looked kinda cute when she blushed. When we got back to S.A.R.A and finished her, when she turned on, things looked like they were starting to be good.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 72 21
A 15 year old boy got accepted to Beacon Academy early by some not so normal circumstances. It was all a misunderstanding but he still got accepted t...
60.7K 670 40
This is a Ruby X Male Reader, this one starts with a boy, born with the powers of electricity, he uses it to move quickly, uses it to attack, and now...
12.2K 224 6
After an unknown ship crashes in emerald forest. Ozpin sends four students from team (Y/n)A(F/n)K to investigate the crash site. However, the ship ho...
97.8K 1.2K 11
You're a fan of RWBY but unfortunately, so is this guy who bullies you. One day, an inexpiable accident in the space time continuum leaves god with n...