The Search for Cinderella

By WaitingForEnd

After being left destitute by her stepmother Jade must dress up as a man to make a respectable living since s... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue
Drabble 1: Ring

Chapter 1

21K 521 73
By WaitingForEnd

"That's it," Jade shook her fist at her miserable looking foe. "I am never coming back to this forsaken place ever again!"

"Good, I was beginning to think you were going to be a permanent fixture in this house like that poison ivy on the east wall," Permelia nonchalantly observed her carefully done up nails. Her beautiful gold curls and red gown swayed in the breeze

"You're the poison ivy in this house. You cling to things that rightfully belong to me," Jade untamed hair moved wildly with her furious movements.

"Little girl, your dead father left me this estate in his will. You can badger me all you want but I am the mistress of this hovel now," Permelia's green eyes flashed dangerously.

"I know you switched wills when the lawyer wasn't looking; I know how your mind works," Jade muttered. Her amber eyes were narrowed on her stepmother as she picked her rucksack up. She turned to leave but Permelia stopped her.

"I know you have that necklace with you. I would suggest you give it back with haste or there will be severe consequences," Permelila purred making Jade shudder. She wondered what was going through her father's mind when he assumed this woman was worthy of joining their family.

Jade feigned ignorance, "What necklace?"

"The one with the Burmese ruby. It was named very specifically in the will so I would suggest you give it back or I shall have to report you to the magistrate," Permelia stood up, the train of her gown swishing behind her attractively.

"It belonged to my mother! Father gave it to her for their wedding," Jade whispered, now frightened that the only thing she had that was ever her mother's was going to be taken away from her.

"When your father died he was married to me. Think of it as a late wedding present to me."

"Fine! Take it. You've already taken everything from me," Jade pulled out a green emerald box from her rucksack and threw it at her stepmother's feet.

"Tsk, tsk, you have such abominable manners. I wonder what your mother would say if she were alive."

"Don't talk about my mother," Jade warned quietly.

"And you'll do what?" Permelia smirked, "Now, shoo, I have a party to organize and looking at your face gives me a headache."

Jade felt her hands shake with rage but she controlled herself. Ripping out the woman's hair was something that would surely wipe that smirk off her stepmother's face but it would also get her into trouble and she had no money left to bail herself out.

Jade turned away and walked towards the door. She looked around the hallway and was hit by numberous memories of sliding down the banister and running to and fro from the garden. She opened the solid oak door and walked on a path that led towards the main gate. The carriage path was surrounded by large dark green ferns. She looked towards her left and was saddened to see her rundown tree house. The frayed, rope ladder was still hanging, waiting for its former mistress to jump back in to play tea party with her friends. She tried to remember when precisely the tree house had been abandoned for more adventurous pursuits but she couldn't pinpoint a specific time.

Clouds rumbled in the distance hinting at a storm in the future.

"Perfect," she muttered.

Jade was almost out of the gate when she heard someone rushing behind her.

"Miss, miss," Ambrose called out. Her father's coach driver wheezed as he tried to catch his breath.

"I heard you were leaving, Miss," Ambrose spoke mournfully.

Jade tried to put a brave smile on her face, "I have finally decided it's time to branch out on my own."

"Miss Jade, I would be honoured if you could stay at my house. My wife and children would be happy to accommodate you. A highborn lady like yourself would be easy prey on the streets."

Jade was tempted by the offer but knew Ambrose would be at a greater risk than he realized.

"No, Ambrose. I cannot put you in this situation. Do you honestly think Permelia won't find out? And when she does you will lose your livelihood. I can't let you sacrifice yourself for me."

"I owe your father everything that I have. I owe it to him to help you," Ambrose spoke morosely.

"Then tell me where I can find the nearest, cheapest inn. That would be the best kind of help."

"Even the cheapest inns cost money. Have you any savings?"

Jade shook her head, "I don't for now, but I am confident I shall be able to earn something soon enough."

"Will you seek employment?" Ambrose was amazed.

"Why not, I can read, write, handle arithmetic. I can deal with horses as well as my trainer can. I think that should be good enough," Jade was optimistic.

"But... Miss, I don't think you can earn anything with those credentials."

"Why not?" Jade asked.

"Because a young Lady like yourself does not get employment upon these terms. Well, a lady of status does not work at all but a commoner is more likely to be employed for household chores."

Jade gulped, "Household chores."

"Cooking, cleaning, sewing," Ambrose shook his head, "Your father never did believe in traditional education selected for women and I am afraid his ideals will now be a burden on your head."

Jade sighed. "It is never too late to learn."

"I beg of you to reconsider this foolish idea. Come with me to my home or better yet find a close friend who could help you," Ambrose was frantic.

"Permelia has spread vicious rumours about me. They believe I've gone mad because of my father's death and the scene I created at his funeral would have cemented them further."

"The one where you threw the vase at your stepmother," Ambrose chuckled at the memory.

"And toppled the china cabinet. Half of my friends are married any way. They only obey their husbands and seem to have no free will. I doubt they shall be given permission to house me," Jade looked at the darkening sky again, "I should get going soon and find shelter. I fear it shall rain tonight."

Ambrose pulled out a red velvet pouch, "Here you go, Miss."

Jade accepted the offering and looked inside curiously. She was amazed to find a sizable amount of money inside.

"I- I cannot accept this, Ambrose, this is your money."

"This is money that your father has given me and I find no shame giving it back to its rightful owner."

Jade tried to protest but Ambrose was firm.

"T- thank you. I shall forever be in your debt."

"I hope to hear from you as soon as you find any shelter. If you don't then here is my address," Ambrose scribbled on a piece of parchment and held it out to her, "My doors will always remain open for you."

Jade thanked him profusely and walked out of the gate. She turned back to see her house one last time through the wrought iron and was alarmed to find tears in her eyes. She turned away instantly before she sought refuge in the weakness.

Jade walked towards the middle of the street and was surprised to realize she had no idea where to go. She had never really stepped out of her house without a carriage. People from her social circle did not walk unless it was one of the capital high streets or parks. She looked at the parchment in her hand and found a name of an inn beside Ambrose's address.

She decided getting to the inn would be the best idea. She walked towards the east where she knew there were fewer residential areas. She got odd looks from the people walking on the street and for the first time in a very long time felt self-conscious. There were so few women found on the street and they were only those who were the common workers in the factories or maids in the residential areas. Jade's dress while long out of fashion was still expensive looking and she was receiving many stares because of it.

The houses started to become smaller and their gardens non-existent so Jade knew she was getting near the town center.

"Can I help you, miss," She heard a voice from her left. She was startled by it but soon recovered as she realized it was young man probably a few years younger than her. He was wearing a gentleman's suit coat and loose breeches though Jade could see a patch under a sleeve.

Jade put her rucksack down as she fumbled for that piece of parchment. She showed him the name of the inn. "Could you please tell me about this establishment?"

The boy observed it as if he were looking at a complex arithmetic question. Jade felt uncomfortable in his presence but her need to be out of the streets was more than the discomfort.

"Sorry, can't help ya," The young man grinned as if he was remembering an old joke.

Jade snorted and looked down and her rucksack was gone. She instinctively knew the man was involved in her theft.

"Hey," She cried out at his retreating back. The man turned around and laughed at her. Jade felt her blood boil and she broke out in a run.

"Stop, thief!" She tried to get some help from the public but most of them were more bewildered but a grandly dressed lady running on the streets.

The young man's eyes widened when he realized he was being chased by a competent runner. He turned around made a break for it. Jade followed him and was catching up when she tripped. She couldn't stabilize herself and fell straight on the road. Jade winced as her knee smarted but she was more worried about the mushy wetness on her hand. From the smell she realized what she had fallen into; horse excrement.

From a distance a couple of street rats were laughing at her predicament.

"I don't think this can get any worse," Jade muttered

Instantly there was a crack of thunder and rain started to pour down on her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193 7 20
The quick witted and smart Princess Victoria has always wanted a life outside of her castle walls in Prussia. So, in order to live a normal life as p...
704 68 13
Aurelia Charming - daughter of Prince Charming and Cinderella - is head over heels for one of her father's knights, Rowan Winters, despite her father...
533 56 18
In a shocking twist of fate, the unprepared Princess Vivienne of the Azalea Kingdom is suddenly forced onto the throne and shoved into the midst of a...
206K 5.6K 27
You've probably all heard the tale of cinderella, but what happens when cinderella is a servant to the prince? A tale of friendship forgotten, or is...