The Sky's the Limit

By dawndwrites

Nicole Dunbar and Skyler Pennington. The swoon-worthy, Skyler Pennington, becomes the CEO of his father's int... More

|Two|
|Three|
|Four|
|Five|
|Six|
|Seven|
|Eight|
|Nine|
|Ten|
|Eleven|
|Twelve|
|Thirteen|
|Fourteen|
|Fifteen|
|Sixteen|
|Seventeen|
|Eighteen|
|Nineteen|
|Twenty|
|Twenty-One|
|Twenty-Two|
|Twenty-Three|
|Twenty-Four|
|Twenty-Five|
|Twenty-Six|
|Twenty-Seven|
|Twenty-Eight|
|Twenty-Nine|
|Thirty|
|Epilogue|
Natalie |Beyond Heights|~ Publishing Date
⭐️Thank You⭐️

|One|

16.5K 398 46
By dawndwrites

                                                                          Epigraph

"Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

       — Author Unknown

I went to the park to process all that happened today. I tried to concentrate over the loud sounds of cicadas in the trees and the birdsong that filled the air.

I felt the refreshing summer breeze against my face. There was a train in the distance and an airplane flying overhead in the sky. A man on a bicycle leisurely pedaled by. Cars were whizzing past at 40 mph in a 25 mph speed zone.

I observed vivid green grass, with stumps of formerly towering trees. They used to stretch into the sky, bending in the direction of the wind. There were still plenty of trees with branches full of lush green leaves. Squirrels were jumping from limb to limb. An ant crawled up my pant leg. "Sorry, no food here."

I heard the shriek of a little girl playing, the breeze carried her laughter. I turned my head and saw her chasing bubbles. The sun was starting to set lower as I looked up. Its orange glow was mesmerizing.

People were getting into cars and blaring their radios. Some type of flying insect landed on my arm. I swatted and it quickly flew away. My mind drifted to what happened earlier today.

*****

I walked into my office and started reading a memo that was left on my desk. "What is my father thinking?"

My father, Beau Pennington, had made the decision to move our shipping company to Savannah, Georgia. He never consulted me.

This memo was sent this morning. I heard the news at the same time as everyone else. Surprise! Now I will have to deal with the fallout. It would have been nice to get a heads up, since I have assumed his position as CEO of Pennington Inc.

Our operation has always been in Dallas, Texas. This is a big move that will involve a lot of logistics. Was my father starting to have issues involving his thinking?

He told me he needed a break, and was therefore handing the reins over to me. I could already feel my neck muscles starting to get knots, working up to my face and head.

The employees will think I signed off on this decision. I need to talk to my father. I was becoming incensed as I continued reading further. My temples were drumming fast.

I stood by my window looking out and pinching the bridge of my nose. I let out a loud huff, as my mind was trying to process possible scenarios.

I had no clue what brought this about. My father and I have never seen eye to eye. I was stunned when he asked me to replace him as CEO.

Did he sit back folding his arms with that determined gleam he gets in his eyes, as he composed this letter? Did he even hesitate before pressing the send button?

I'm familiar with Savannah. My family spent many summers there when I was a kid. It's a coastal Georgia city, separated from South Carolina by the Savannah River. My brothers and I looked forward to our summer family vacation there as kids.

It's been years, but I can still recall the clip clopping of horse-drawn carriages. The historic district is unrivaled, filled with cobblestoned squares and parks. I remember the grand oak trees covered with Spanish moss.

I do know they have a big shipping industry there, so I can possibly see my father making this decision. I don't know what reaction we'll receive from our employees? We've been in Dallas for over thirty years. This will cause a big upheaval.

As I reached for my cell phone in my pocket, I heard a quiet knock at my door. "Enter." Who could it be?

"Mr. Pennington, I hope I'm not disturbing you? I have to get this over with." Diane rushed her words. She looked apologetic, as her eyes landed on me.

I stood glaring at her. Then my face softened, trying not to make her feel nervous.

"Can I give you something to drink?" I asked.

She shook her head from side to side. "I'm sorry to let you know with great sadness, I won't be moving to Georgia." Her eyes brimmed with tears. I could tell that her decision had already been made.

Diane was our Sales Account Executive. She was invaluable to me and the company. We didn't meet often, but she was good at her job.

"I totally understand Diane. This news will effect a lot of employees at Pennington Inc. I'm still processing the news. You've done an amazing job for the last few years. We'll miss you." I gave her a friendly hug of gratitude. She broke down when her brave facade gave out.

I felt a tremendous weight upon my shoulders. Now, what was I going to do? Where would I find someone to replace her? Everything would need to be restructured once I found out who was moving with the company to Savannah.

I offered her a seat in one of the chairs in front of my desk. "Diane, would you happen to have a suggestion for your replacement?" I figured she would know a good candidate.

She started grabbing tissues from the box that sat on my desk and answered my question immediately. "I currently work with the sales and merchandising coordinator. She works to support me and makes me look good. She really doesn't get the credit for all that she does," Diane admitted quietly.

"Where would I find this mystery woman?" I was intrigued, as I decided to take a seat behind my desk with my fingers steepled.

"Her name is Nicole Dunbar. She's been working here for the past four years." She informed me.

It felt like I was in a tunnel with no sound. "Could you repeat her name?" I was taken by surprise.

Nicole Dunbar is a name I thought I'd never hear again.

Am I starting to lose it? It can't be the same Nicole Dunbar that I met last year. We met as she was trying to sneak into a wedding. No wonder I thought I had seen her before. I couldn't place her beautiful face at the time.

Oddly enough, I never tried to locate her after our strange encounter at the wedding. I've been so busy with my responsibilities as the new CEO. "She has worked for me all this time," I spoke out loud.

Diane looked perplexed. "Is that good or bad?" She poured a glass of water and took a sip.

I smiled. "It's good. I had a brief meeting with her a year ago." That's why her face looked familiar—I've seen her here at Pennington Inc.

*****

Dallas, Texas
One Year Ago

Alexa and I broke up a few days ago. I realized she was not what I was looking for in a wife. In fact, I wasn't looking for a wife at all.

I'm taking over my father's shipping company, and I don't need any distractions. My dad's company is his baby. We're trying to expand to international sea and air shipping.

I decided to go to Shayne and Sabine's wedding, solo. I became good friends with Shayne after that day he and I had margaritas. We had a chance to talk and make amends. He was surprisingly understanding.

I was waiting on line at the checkpoint with security, before entering. "You have to leave cell phones and cameras behind. No pictures are allowed to be taken by guests in attendance."

There was a woman with a guest list and a feather pen checking off names. She looked flustered, with a barrage of guests waiting on line.

There was a beautiful young woman standing in line ahead of me. "I don't understand why my name isn't on the guest list? Can you please check again?" she was making quite a scene.

Something in my gut told me they would never find her name. I had a feeling she was a wedding crasher.

I inched up behind her. "Sweetheart, they probably have you listed with me." I placed her hand in mine and winked.

"Oh, I didn't think of that." She stared at me in amazement, as if startled with her mouth forming an O shape.

The woman with the guest list asked, "What is your name, Sir?"

I pointed to my name on the list. "It's right there, Skyler Pennington." I looked up at her with a smile on my lips.

"I see that you have a plus one. Miss, you may enter with him." The woman motioned for us to go inside through the curtain that led to the outdoor ceremony.

"Thank you, Mr. Pennington. I don't know what happened back there?" She was still sticking to her story. She looked sincere and stunning at the same time.

"May I ask your name?" I slowed my steps, as I met her soft brown eyes.

She eyed me suspiciously. "Oh, how rude of me. My name is Miss Nicole Dunbar. It's nice to meet you." She extended her hand. Instead of shaking it, I kissed it in a formal greeting.

"I was just helping a damsel in distress. I'm not going to harm you." I stared into her ebony eyes. She was gorgeous, and I couldn't help wondering why she was sneaking into this wedding. Her face somehow looked familiar.

"I'm not a damsel in distress. But thank you for your help." She backed away from me folding her arms. She looked quite capable of taking care of herself.

"I think you had better stay with me, now that I made it known we are together," I suggested to her in a low voice, so as not to be overheard. I refrained from standing too close and gave her space.

I saw her wheels turning. "I guess you're right. But just so you know, we are not together." She made that absolutely clear, with a stern look.

I chuckled. "I'll be a good actor. Is it okay if we sit next to each other? I don't want to do anything to make you uncomfortable." I had never encountered a situation quite like this before.

"It makes sense if we do. I'm your plus one for this occasion." She narrowed her eyes at me and adjusted her posture.

"Should I call you Nicole or Miss Dunbar for this occasion?" I raised one eyebrow at her, questioningly. I wanted to play my part well.

"Either is fine with me. Whatever mood strikes you. We are only acting," she shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly.

"After you, Miss Dunbar." I motioned my hand for her to have a seat. We sat in two of the empty white chairs set up on the lawn for the wedding ceremony. She smoothed out her silver dress.

I've never had a date like this before, I thought to myself and tried to suppress a grin.

Votes and Comments Appreciated ❤️

Copyright © 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022,  2023
Dawn Drake
All rights reserved.

This story is published subject to the condition that it shall not be reproduced or retransmitted in whole or in part in any manner without permission. Any infringement of this is a violation of copyright law.

All rights reserved ®
Dawn M. Drake

Please vote and/or leave a comment. Even if it's an emoji. I love feedback, so I can keep growing! I wrote this story on Wattpad in 2018. Now I finally got to edit it and I'm republishing it. I hope you enjoy it more or for the first time :)

*This is purely a work of fiction, from this author's imagination. Any characters, names, places, and events are purely fictional and coincidences if they happen to resemble non-fictional persons, places or events.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 4.9K 35
Being married to billionaire Dominic Lewis gives Savannah Lewis everything one could dream of. Money, diamonds, luxury, and a glamorous lifestyle-the...
1.8M 46.2K 128
She was his motivation. Madison Connor, the only woman he had ever loved, the woman he had hurt, the woman he had left. Billionaire Damien Daniels ha...
10M 468K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...
10.4K 1K 40
Since Aubrey James could crawl, she has wanted to decide things for herself. So when an archaic law allows her parents to choose who she will marry...