Light of Hope

By ExtremeSonic

After a shocking loss against the Eggman Empire, hope fades from the world as rumors of Sonic's failure trave... More

I. Mega Man
II. Mega Man
III. Mega Man
IV. Mega Man
V. Sonic the Hedgehog
VI. Sonic the Hedgehog
VII. Sonic the Hedgehog
VIII. Mega Man
IX. Mega Man
X. Sonic the Hedgehog
XI. Sonic the Hedgehog
XII. Mega Man
XIII. Mega Man
Continue?

XIV. Sonic the Hedgehog

112 6 3
By ExtremeSonic

I went into Tails' room, sitting on a chair next to him. I leaned forward and watched him, my heart twinging. Out of everyone to blow up, it had to chose Tails with his back turned. After the day I had had, I wanted to tell everyone to back off and do all the fighting on my own. 

I sighed, knowing I needed their help. It hurt, though, looking at Tails. He was wrapped in a blanket, covering the burns that plagued his body. I didn't know if they caused him pain yet, but healing from them would be agonizing. He was tough, though, right...?

I put my face in my hands, feeling guilty that I couldn't stay with him or even do anything for him. Revenge on Eggman wouldn't make him feel better, but my rage grew every day. When it came down to it, I wasn't sure I would be able to show him any mercy. Almost ending my life was one thing - trying to kill Sally publicly and ordering the self destruct on Tails was too much. Each time we fought with him, he got more and more savage. He was going to be in a cell for the rest of his life, and we would make sure there was no way for him to sneak out this time.

I stood up, smiling sadly at Tails. "I'll make sure Eggman never does this to anyone else. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you..."

After a few more minutes of watching him, I left, going to Sally's room. Her eyes were closed and she was curled up on the side of the bed. I laid across from her, watching her face as she slept. It made me remember the fear in her eyes as Metal Sonic held her in front of the town, battered and humiliated.

Her eyes slowly opened, barely able to stay awake. She looked exhausted. "How is he?" she asked, her voice thick with sleep.

"Still knocked out," I answered. "What about you?"

She didn't look at my face for a few moments, her eyes focused on something else. She turned onto her back and touched her arm unconsciously. "I'll be fine," she finally said. "I'll get over it."

"I wasn't fast enough," I chuckled. "I haven't been in a while."

"I shouldn't have gone with you with my injury," she said.

"Someone has to keep me in line," I smiled.

She smirked back. "Don't pretend you do what I tell you to."

"I do if I like it."

She shook her head, then turned and put her back against me. I put my arm around her, holding her close to me. "I won't let anything else get to you," I promised.

She put her hand over mine, falling silent. The lights shut off, though I was hesitant to sleep. I was tired after two big fights in one day, but the last two times I had tried to sleep I had nightmares. I wasn't excited to recall that memory again.

But I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

And I had a much different kind of dream.

I stood in front of a familiar place: I was standing in front of the altar to the Master Emerald from centuries ago. It was teeming with life, grass growing wildly all around. I had been here before, when we were trying to stop Eggman from using Chaos to take over the world. I had to resort to using the Chaos Emeralds, trapping Chaos back inside the Master Emerald.

I smiled and walked forward, a chao coming up to me and raising its arms. I picked it up and it rubbed its head against my chest, several more flocking to me. Everything was so real that I didn't know I was in a dream. I felt good; nothing negative crossed my mind, even though I tried to think back and remember how I got where I was. It was confusing, but something in me told me to enjoy it, let the relaxing serenity wash over me.

A figure appeared at the top of the altar, walking down the steps toward me. I recognized her immediately; that, and I only knew of two echidnas. "Tikal," I muttered.

Tikal smiled, tilting her head to the side. "It is good to see that the chao still adore you," she said.

I stared at her as she came next to me, picking up a chao herself. "This isn't real," I said, with a hint of disappointment.

Tikal shook her head, her smile slightly fading. "No, it is not. If I could take away all your pain and worries, I would, Sonic. But you will learn to face the demons that plague your mind."

"Did you just bring me here to get away from everything?" I asked. Knowing it was a dream didn't make it feel any less real.

Again, she shook her head. "I have come to speak with you about the battle you will inevitably have with Dr. Eggman."

"You have an idea how to beat him?" I asked. "We're really stuck."

"If you use the power of the Chaos Emeralds, Eggman will no doubt pull the same trick," Tikal said. "But I will be able to help you keep your super state and win the day."

"Really?" I smiled. "You mean we really are going to win?"

Tikal looked down, kicking at the ground. "I cannot promise that it will work. But it may be your only chance to save yourself and the world. If we fail..."

She didn't finish that thought. "A shot is better than nothing," I said.

Tikal nodded. "I will use all the power I have to neutralize the Master Emerald when Eggman orders Knuckles to dispose of your energy. But it will still be up to you."

"If I wasn't able to keep them last time, how will I next time?"

"You were taken off guard last time," Tikal said.

"Tell me about it," I muttered.

"The next time, you will know what's coming. You will have to hold your focus, convince the Chaos Emeralds that you need them more than the will of Master Emerald."

I blinked. "You're saying I need to be more powerful than the Master Emerald?"

"It's a very risky plan," Tikal said, her face reddening. "Fail again, and Dr. Eggman will end your life as well as the lives of your friends, no doubt."

"I don't know how else to beat a hundred Metal Sonics," I said, shaking my head. "You think it's possible, though?"

"You have power and a heart unlike any I've ever seen, Sonic," Tikal said, her smile returning. "If anyone has a chance, it is you. I can warn you before you feel the pull of the Master Emerald, and until then, do not share the energy of the Chaos Emeralds with anyone else. You will need all your strength."

"Will it use a lot of their power?" I asked.

Tikal nodded. "It will. You may be left with little to attack with, but it may be enough to at least significantly cripple Eggman's armies."

"I suppose you don't have any ideas that ensure an easy victory?"

Tikal laughed, a sweet sound that made me feel even more at ease. "I'm sorry, but this is all I can offer." Her face turned more serious again, and she looked at me with something akin to pity. "Resisting the Master Emerald will be difficult, Sonic. It will take time, and it will be agonizing."

"Sounds enticing now."

"I know I said this before, but if anyone can do this, it is you."

I thought for a minute, looking down at the chao. For some reason, maybe a bit of influence from Tikal, I pictured chao gardens that were dead and rotting, taking the life of an entire forest away with them. The one in my hands looked at me, oblivious to the danger we - or, at least, I - was in. I chuckled, wondering what it would be like to never have a single care in the world, not even know that the world around you was crumbling to dust.

I looked at Tikal and smiled. "Then let's do it."

Tikal looked relieved. "I cannot tell you how many of the Emeralds Eggman has, but it would be very unwise to go to him without knowing all seven would be together."

"It would be hard to use their power otherwise," I noted. "Can you tell the future?"

Tikal shook her head. "I am not a prophet, Sonic. I have no idea how this will turn out, or if you even have a chance at saving the world. I can only tell you what I worry will happen if this fails."

"I can already imagine it myself," I laughed. "Thanks for your help."

She looked at the ground again. "I only wish I could have suggested this when you fought before. Maybe we could have stopped all of this before it had a chance to begin."

I shrugged. "I should have known something was going to happen."

"I need to be going," Tikal said. "I need to save all my energy for when you and Eggman meet."

"That's fair," I nodded. "I'll definitely be able to use all the help I can get from you in this."

"You may stay in this dream for as long as you wish," Tikal told me. "I hope you enjoy it."

"You made this for me?" I asked, gesturing at the, well, dream.

She smiled sadly one last time. "I wanted to help you escape the troubles you were facing. This is only a temporary relief, but one I hope will help your stress."

She disappeared before I could thank her, leaving me surrounded by a pool of chao. I dropped to my knees and watched the chao crawl over me, feeling at ease like never before. I fell back onto the cool grass, smiling and taking in the warmth of the sun. I felt everything perfectly, the recent events once again falling away from my mind.

I lost track of time as I sat there with the chao. For what seemed like hours, I couldn't even remember why I was where I was, what Tikal had spoken to me about, or the things that had happened since the coma. All that I really remembered was the hope I felt before the world was going to be saved and that everything was going to finally be okay. The smile on my face never faded, and though I didn't have any burdens, I knew that I couldn't stay forever. I was aware that I would have to go back to whatever harsh realities faced me outside.

But I was going to enjoy it while I could.

I got up, leaving the chao and walking around. I had seen this place before, but I had never explored it before. It didn't take long before I came to a cliff that was the end of the little world. Light, fluffy clouds drifted below us, the island separating them as the traveled. I sat at the edge, dangling my legs over the side and watching them. When I got bored of that, I walked around the perimeter, flowers and wildlife I had never seen before flourishing on this strange island. Maybe it was what Angel Island looked like well before Knuckles had become its guardian, full of ancient trees and extinct plants. One plant I saw was covered in flowers that looked like stars, glowing like the sun. Another looked like a cluster of crystals. A tree I walked past was covered in flowers that looked like dots of bubblegum.

I went back to the altar, sitting with the chao again. Most of them were falling asleep; maybe a sign that I was spending too much time there. If my friends had been there with me, I wondered if I would have been able to leave. It would be hard, with how light and happy I felt. Though I didn't remember my negative feelings, something told me I hadn't been this content in a very long time.

With a sigh, I looked up at the altar that held a fake Master Emerald. Somehow I knew that was my way out of this place. Whatever I was doing was only delaying what I needed to do.

One more time, I picked up a chao, smiling as it yawned in my hands. It cooed at me, then jumped out of my hands, flying down to the ground. I watched as its eyelids grew heavy, and the chao eventually laid on the ground, falling asleep.

I walked up the steps, resisting taking a look behind me. I shook my head and walked up the rest of the altar, looking at the Master Emerald. I didn't sense any energy like I did with the real deal, but it was still impressive. I held my hand out, closing my eyes and hesitating only a moment before touching it.

My eyes shot open, and I flinched at the sense of reality that weighed down on me. My thoughts that had been somehow blocked before came rushing back to me. The seriousness of Tikal's plan hit me, but there was a flicker of hope in it. She was right - it was probably our only shot against the massive army Eggman was building up.

I looked at Sally, her face peaceful as she continued to sleep. I felt good, finally refreshed from a good night's sleep. I wasn't sure it would happen again, but I would take what I could get. I hopped out of bed, content to have a day without much excitement.

I walked up to the window, seeing thick gray clouds obscuring any sight of the sun. It wasn't raining yet, but it was going to soon. I wondered how the ship would hold up to being shaken around by lightning.

Silver was up, face in his hand as he twirled a cube with his telekinesis. He was looking at it with a bored expression, and I wondered if he was mad at me. "How was your little expedition last night?" he asked, his eyes not leaving the cube.

I shrugged, sitting a bit away from him. "It was fine. Nothing special happened."

"I don't need to know the future to know that's a lie," Silver said, a little smile on his face. I let a breath out I didn't even know I was holding, glad that he wasn't angry about something.

"Is the future panning out like you expected so far?" I asked out of curiosity.

Silver shook his head. "So far, everything's going better."

"That's great news!" I shouted. "Then there's hope!"

Silver shrugged. "Everything still depends on the final battle. You go super and lose."

I suddenly felt a pit in my stomach, wondering if I should share my dream with Silver. "Is there another option besides going super?" I asked, trying to sound as genuine as possible.

"I have no clue," Silver said. "But if that's how the future turns out so badly, then that's the last thing you should do."

"There were no other factors?" I asked. "I just fail?"

Silver looked back at his cube, twirling it and figuring out how to put his thoughts into words. It made me nervous, waiting impatiently for him to speak what was on his mind. Finally, he snatched the cube out of the air, setting it down carefully. "I don't know if it was the battle you had with Eggman's robots, the stress, something else, or all of those things together, but your mind never recovered. I don't know if that had an impact on your super state, but you lose it almost instantly when Eggman tells Knuckles to take over the Chaos Emeralds. You... You didn't stand a chance. It was a miracle the other Freedom Fighters escaped."

I swallowed, my mouth suddenly feeling dry. It reminded me how I had broken down in front of Sally, no matter how hard I had tried to keep my feelings back. But letting it all out had been such a relief, like some massive weight had been taken off of my shoulders. I felt good now; maybe not one-hundred percent confident like I used to be, but good. Would it not be enough?

I decided not to tell Silver about the dream, even though I was sure it was real. Something in me had known that would be what we had had to do, but for once, I didn't want this pressure on me. If I failed, I wouldn't just die: I would be dooming the entire world.

"To me, you look like you're doing better," Silver said, his smile sympathetic. "Like I always say, the future doesn't always follow a set path. Maybe I overreacted coming here."

"You came to warn us," I said. "Though it would have been nice if it had been on time."

"I-I..." Silver looked down. "I did my best."

I paused, looking at him. "What happens to Blaze?" I asked. "After she came, your eyes kept darting around the room like you expected something bad to happen."

Silver's face turned red, and he turned even more so that I could only see the side of his face. "I don't know what you're talking about."

I laughed. "You're a horrible liar, Silver."

He looked at me with slight anger, then took in a breath. "It's bad enough that I've told you how things end. I..." He scratched his head, glancing at me. "She stays with you after your super state fails in order to allow the Freedom Fighters to escape. Neither of you are ever seen again. We assume you're both dead, but there's no way to be sure."

My ears flattened to my head. "You mean... Eggman might just be..."

I didn't want to finish that thought, but my mind did it for me. Keeping us and torturing us? Fulfilling his sick desire for suffering through us? Because that was a lot worse than some honorable death.

"I didn't mean to scare you," Silver frowned.

It explained why he didn't want me to turn to Super Sonic. He really liked Blaze. They were good friends. He probably had a lot of anger toward me that he wasn't showing. Toward future dead or tortured me, at least. If I failed, it would mean Blaze went down with me.

"Did you help in the fight in the final battle against Eggman?" I asked, eager to change the subject.

Silver shook his head. "It wouldn't have helped, especially if I hadn't gone back far enough. I wish I had more than one chance to help fix this, though. It's such a mess."

"It's not a mess yet," I smirked. "We can still put everything back together."

"If we win," Silver said, a little annoyed. "I still have little hope for the future."

"Optimistic as always, Silver."

"You haven't seen the things I have," Silver said, his eyes looking distant. "I have no reason to have any bit of hope. But I still have a little. It's small, but... it's there."

"Well, being sure we're gonna lose won't help anything," I said.

Silver raised an eyebrow. "Even after what happened to you, you still think we can win?"

"Sure!" I smiled. "Besides, we give up, we basically lose everything. No reason to stop now!"

Silver looked at me with something akin to wonder. "The Sonic I remember from the future wasn't half as optimistic. Maybe we do have a chance, after all."

I felt a bit guilty about not telling him that the only way to win would be to go super, but I didn't want to crush his spirit. Might as well keep everyone positive until we had to.

"It won't be long now," I said. "How many Emeralds do you think Eggman has about now?"

Silver thought for a minute. "We have three before we go to Eggman in the future, but with how much everything's changed? It's hard to know for sure. There's also that one we have to go back and get from the underwater city."

"Then we'll find one more before we go to him," I nodded. "Four should be enough. Hopefully, it won't take long to find another."

"I don't know," Silver said with a dark chuckle. "The closer we get, the more nervous I feel. I almost don't want to know what happens to the future."

I looked down at the table, sighing. "I'm freaked out too, but you already knew that."

Silver stared at me for a minute, looking like he was trying to form words. "I don't know exactly what you went through, but... I'm sorry. I should have worked harder to find a way to warn you."

I couldn't help but laugh. Silver looked shocked. "You don't honestly blame yourself for this, do you? C'mon, man, you're smarter than that."

"I just feel like there's more I could have done."

"I don't want to hear you say that again," I said sternly, looking up at the ceiling so I didn't have to see the surprise in Silver's face. "What... what happened on the Death Egg was no one's fault. Not mine, not Sally's, not yours. Eggman got me. That's all there is to it. I would have gone super to save the city anyway. No way around it."

We were silent for a couple of minutes, and I felt like I knew what Silver's next question would be. He was too curious not to ask.

"Was it..." Silver said, looking at the cube in his hands. "Was it that bad?"

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye, grimacing as I was reminded of the pain. I held out my arm, almost forgetting it wasn't wrapped in a cast. "It wasn't so bad until Metal broke my arm," I told him. "It hurt."

Silver looked at me, waiting for me to keep going. I rolled my eyes, putting my feet on the table. "I passed out from losing blood from the cuts on my chest. I... I was really a mess when I was in my coma."

"And the only thing you saw was Knuckles?" Silver asked. "That's the only new weapon Eggman has?"

"It's all he needed to beat Super Sonic," I sighed, trying not to feel sorry for myself again. "That and the Master Emerald."

"I just find it strange," Silver wondered. "We should be able to beat a bunch of Metal Sonics and Knuckles. What changes between your fight and the next?"

I shrugged. "Beats me."

"Knowing that is better than nothing," Silver smiled. He stood up, stretching. "I'm gonna get some shut eye."

"You didn't sleep?" I asked.

Silver shook his head sadly. "Not well. Haven't for a few days."

"Well, good luck," I said, watching him go to his room. I stared back up at the ceiling, closing my eyes and letting my mind wander away from the memories. Someday, they wouldn't bug me so much. Maybe there was a time when we would just laugh about this whole thing, like we usually did. But I could tell that was a long time away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

310 0 27
Sonic's been hiding something from the Freedom Fighters and only he and Robotnik know. Will it stay that way until the end?
666 23 25
The aftermath of the two Sonic's defeating the time eater causes more damage across space-time then ever before. Another worlds defeat is carried int...
60.9K 1.1K 31
Sonic is somehow pulled into the world of Mega Man, and he doesn't know which side to pick until he and Mega Man are captured by the infamous 'Dr. Wi...
32 0 14
In an alternate dimension in a futuristic world of Mobius, where advanced technology and anthropomorphic animals coexisted, the notorious Dr. Eggman...