Library Books

By Linussmiles19

Warning: The chapters in this book are in random order, due to when I learn of book series or books at a spec... More

Freefall - Joshua David Bellin
Synopsis (TATWD)
"Turtles All The Way Down" Quotes
Synopsis (Don't Even Think About It)
Guide to the Five Magical Fs
Upside Down Magic Book 1
Upside-Down Magic Book 2
Upside-Down Magic Book 3
Upside-Down Magic 4
Upside-Down Magic 5
Mortal Engines 1
Mortal Engines 3
Maps of South Carolina
Virals 2
Virals 3
Virals 4
Virals 5
Trace Evidence Cover
Trace Evidence 1: Shock
Trace Evidence 2: Shift
Trace Evidence 3: Swipe
Spike ("Terminal" epilogue pt. 2)
Guide to Planet Eden
Nyxia 1
Book 1 Allegiances
Renegades 1
Lunar 1
Fairest
Black Light Express (Book 2)
Terms (Book 2)
Dragon Guide (Book 1)
His Majesty's Dragon
Lightless 1
Chaos Walking 1
Chaos Walking 2
Chaos Walking 3
Ley 1
Reset (2021) - Sarina Dahlan
Books I Don't Write Summaries About

Virals 1

12 1 0
By Linussmiles19

Prologue

Victoria "Tory" Brennan, the grandniece of forensic scientist Temperance Brennan, in running through a dark forest finder her "pack"/ her friends. She is trying to find Ben Blue, but when she gets to the beach on the other side of the forest, she finds Shelton Devers and Benjamin "Ben" Blue in a boat. All that's left is to wait for Hiram "Hi" Stolowitski.

Part One: Islands

Chapter 1

Tory describes her life on Morris Island, South Carolina. Her mother died in a car crash via a drunk driver and she was sent to South Carolina as a result. Morris Island is an island with dunes in the north, sand hills in the middle, and marshland in the east. Tory's father is Christopher "Kit" Howard, forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan's nephew and Harriet "Harry" Brennan's son, and her mother is Colleen Brennan, who was killed a drunk driver named Alvie Turnbauer. The Saturday that Tory has to help Ben, she is picking out seashells (like "Sundials. Shark's Eyes. Turkey Wings." and arks, cockles, and Scotch Bonnets) she found on a beach from a bucket and cleaning them since Kit works on "Loggerhead Island". After Tory cleans the shells and changes her clothes, she goes outside and waits for Hi. Hi appears, sweating with exhaustion and fear.

Chapter 2

Hi appears and gasps for air, since he ran a long way from an abandoned Fort Sumter to Tory's house. As soon as she catches he breath, Hi tells Tory about how Ben got injured and crashed his boat. Tory rides to Fort Sumter (she and her friend's secret hideout) on her bike and when she gets to the Fort, she goes inside.

Chapter 3

Ben Blue is sitting near a window. His shin is all bloodied up from the scratch he got from trying to fix his "old, sixteen-foot Boston Whaler runabout. He calls her Sewee." Ben sees Tory says he injured himself by trying to catch fish, but didn't know about how deep the water is. Tory then texts Shelton, because he knows how to fix anything. Shelton then arrives and begins fixing Sewee with Ben.

Chapter 4

As Shelton and Ben fix Sewee, Tory asks if she can help. Ben and Shelton say no simultaneously. Tory sits on the beach and Hi sits in the Fort. Then, as soon as Sewee is fixed, Ben says they should boat in "Clark Sound", but Tory suggests to go to Loggerhead Island to find a wolfdog pack, since Tory is a dog lover. The band goes to Loggerhead Island and Tory mentions that she loves boating and that she and her friends go to "Bolton Prepatory Academy in downtown Charleston." Tory also mentions that Kit has a girlfriend named "Whitney". Ben takes the long way to the forested Loggerhead Island to avoid damage to Sewee.

Chapter 5

Sewee slams into the wharf on Loggerhead Island and Tory falls backward in the boat, hitting her butt. The band then docks Sewee, gets out of the boat, and head into the forest. Tory mentions that Loggerhead Island is named after the loggerhead turtles that live there and that rhesus monkeys live there. The island is shaped like a penguin. As the teens walk, Shelton points out that Hi needs to puke, since he probably has motion sickness. Shelton asks Tory if she really wants to find the wolfdogs and Tory realizes she did something stupid. Tory mentions the wolf on Loggerhead Island is named Whisper and that she is the mother of a few litters of wolfdogs. Tory mentions that one day, when she and her friends were on Loggerhead Island, Whisper and her family stumbled upon them and Whisper growls at Tory. Tory tries to calm the wolf, but it doesn't work. After Whisper and her family reluctantly let Tory sees the pup. The wolfdog pup is in a broken barrel with the name "Cooper River Boiled Peanuts stamped on its side." Tory named the wolfdog pup Cooper and then Whisper growls and takes her family back into the safety of the forest. As Tory remembers, members of the "Loggerhead Island Research Institute. LIRI." approach the band to arrest them for trespassing.

Chapter 6

The band approaches the building and Professor Karsten leads them to the building. When they get there, the professor hisses at them why they're there (since Tory says that he treats the band "like criminals").  Professor Karsten interrogates Ben and Shelton, but also notices Tory in the group. He tells her Kit is fixing up an injured turtle and needs privacy. Tory and her friends then decide to go find the wolfdogs and some monkeys.

Chapter 7

The leader of the LIRI watches Tory and her friends leave and Karsten enters the room, the leader smoking with the scent of tobacco filling the office. The leader demands why Tory and her friends were there and Karsten says that the LIRI employees' children can be on the island. The leader hisses that he wants anybody not a member of the LIRI off the island.

Chapter 8

A monkey throws a gumball at Tory's head as the band tries to find Dead Cat Beach. Tory likes her surroundings, but hates being the target for a monkey throwing objects at her. The band can't like the wolfdog pack. Tory sees her attacks since she sees "The tattoo on her chest said Y-7." Y-7 sees Tory isn't happy and bolts into the trees. Hi comes by and Y-7 begins throwing stuff again. Tory picks up what hit her from the ground and sees it's metal.  Then she finds out it's actually a dog tag. The print on it is unreadable, but the band decides to head home and call it a day.

Chapter 9

In the Howard household, "Whitney Rose Dubois", Kit's girlfriend, is having dinner with Kit and Tory and thinks Tory should dress like a Southern lady. Tory mutters she doesn't want to. Kit says that "You could use a little branching out." Tory mentions that seeing Whitney reminds her that her Colleen is gone forever. Tory asks about the turtle and accidentally mentions her friends. Whitney sharply inhales at the mention of Hi, Ben, and Shelton. Tory asks about Karsten and the wolfdogs. Whitney is disgusted by the mention of the wolves and Tory quickly says "Thanks for dinner....I've got homework" She goes upstairs to her room.

Chapter 10

Locked in her room, Tory knows Kit and Whitney are talking about her. She rants about Whitney and Kit before laying on her bed thinking about "Coop. Whisper. Kit. Whitney." Then, Jason Taylor tries to call her. Tory describes Jason as her friend at Bolton Prep and then a text appears on Tory's phone. It from Jason and says "Tory, Party @ Charleston Harbor Marina. Chance Boat. Interested? J". Tory texts she can't make it and Jason texts her "Boo! Next time then ;)." Tory then turns on the TV and watches Shark Week.

Part Two: Infection

Chapter 11

Tory is with the band on Loggerhead Island, trying to break into the LIRI lab. Rain pours down on them and Tory wishes she hadn't worn her yellow poncho as she looks through Kit's binoculars behind a boulder on Turtle Beach. When the coast is clear, she calls her friends over. Tory mentions that Shelton had to puke into a barf bag twice from his motion sickness. The band heads for "Lab Six in the rearmost building of the cluster." The boys worry but Tory is prideful in their plan. Tory tells Shelton to pick the locks (since he's a master at it) and she tells Ben that the security cameras are destroyed and "You said your dad is bringing the replacement next week. .... That means no tape." The band is trying to avoid any detection at all. Tory notes that "The ferry's not due for two and a half hours. The island is deserted, except for security, and those bozos never pay attention." Hi had been in Lab Six once because his father had to grab something from there, so his job is to navigate. When Hi yells "Go!" the band runs through the rain to the LIRI base. After Shelton picks the lock on the gate (he is uneasy about it), Tory, Shelton, Ben, and Hi run to the door of Lab Six. Shelton picks the lock with ease and the band goes inside.

Chapter 12

It is dark in the lab and Tory flips the lights on. She tells her friends "No talking until we get to the lab." The band gets to Lab Six, which is down a hallway, and Hi unveils a Sonicator ("shorthand for ultrasonic cleaner"), which "consisted of a small white sink backed by a LCD panel. About the size of a microwave, it resembled a tiny top-loading washer with the cover removed." He introduces it using his best Gollum impression. Tory isn't sure what the Sonicator was and Hi tells her what it is. Hi fills the basin with fluid so that the band can read the dog tag. Tory then gives Hi the dog tag and the machine cleans it. Ben walks away during the determination of the identity of the dog tag. The only letters are "C-A-T-H. Then an O, I think." They also find "O P-O-S." They determine the soldier was an O+ blood type and was Catholic. There are also numbers on the dog tag, "a nine-digit social security number and a ten-digit military service number. That's rare." They then use a penlight and find letters on the metal. "This is working. I see an N. Then C. No, it's an O. ... Then a T-A-E. The last is an H. ... F. Heaton. Catholic. O positive blood. Served during the Vietnam War." The band then hears Ben come back into Lab Six and says there's something upstairs the band needs to see since he heard barking.

Chapter 13

Tory goes upstairs and asks Ben if he really heard barking. Ben says yes and Tory tells Shelton to pick the lock. Shelton fails and Hi tells Tory to punch in the code "3-3-3-3." That's the code and when Tory goes inside, she turns on the light and sees that there is a dog in a cage in a glass cover. Tory automatically sees that the dog is the wolfdog Cooper, since he has blue eyes. Tory sees that Cooper has tubes from a bandage on his left back leg, fur on one of his sides shaved, and is wearing collar with a bell on it. The sign outside the cage says "Subject A - Parvovirus XPB-19." Tory is shocked that Cooper has parvovirus since the wolfdog is still a puppy. Tory finds a hanging clipboard and reads it. The clipboard says "Subject A not responding to experimental regimen for parvovirus XPB-19. Scheduled for termination." It is signed "Dr. Marcus E. Karsten." Tory is horrified about it and plans to break Cooper out. The boys fear that they'll be caught, and Tory says that Karsten is a monster doing a secret operation using dogs. Shelton asks where they can hide Cooper and Tory says they can hide him in the bunker in an abandoned Fort Sumner. Tory raids the medical shelves and grabs IVs and antibiotics and puts them into plastic baggies. She also finds a small animal carrier, puts an extra lab coat in it (as a substitute blanket), and gets Cooper out of the experimental cage and into the animal carrier. Then, at that moment, an alarm sounds.

Chapter 14

Hi screeches that the band is screwed, but Tory says that they aren't screwed yet. Ben shouts for the band to move. The band gets out of the room and when Hi shuts the door, the alarm stops screeches. Tory notices that one of the security guards, Carl, is heading towards the band and they move out the back door of the LIRI base. Rain from the storm pounds down on Tory and her friends. They hide in the forest as Carl looks for them before the guard goes back inside.

In abandoned Fort Sumner, Tory wrings out the rainwater from her clothes. Ben is on towels and Cooper is in a makeshift ward made by the band.  Tory tells Hi to "Re-hang is IV bags." The band decides to take turns watching Cooper and they hope he recovers from the virus and become immune to parvo.

Chapter 15

Karsten is furious that Cooper has been taken from the lab. An hour earlier, when he was looking at papers, Carl the security guard calls him and Karsten runs down the to the docks. He gets in a boat to Loggerhead Island to the LIRI base. When he gets to Lab Six, he thinks it's impossible that someone could break into the lab. Karsten interrogates Carl and he tells the guard to check the tape and Carl says that camera is down. Carl says that the alarm was set off and Karsten tells himself to think. Karsten then dismisses Carl before looking into Lab Six to see that Cooper is gone. Karsten radios his guards and says he has a problem.

Karsten looks at his handwriting on the clipboard. The hanging clipboard near Cooper's cage says "The highest caution must be employed. Due to its radical structure, Parvovirus strain XPB-19 may be infectious to humans."

Chapter 16

In the Bolton Prep library, Tory is looking up Canine Parvovirus during A Lunch. Her uniform is a "Dull plaid tie and matching pleated skirt. White button-down shirt. Black knee socks." Hi sneaks up on Tory and they joke about the upcoming prom. Tory tells Hi about Canine Parvovirus and says that Cooper has Intestinal Canine Parvovirus, also knows as "enteritis." Tory explains how enteritis works and Tory and Hi wonder how Cooper got enteritis. Tory tells Hi about how Canine Parvovirus is spread and Hi tells Tory he "didn't study for the Spanish quiz" and saunters out of the library. Tory tells Hi to tell Ben and Shelton during B Lunch that the band will meet after school. Tory also has to figure the identity of the soldier's name on the dog tag they found and also worries about Cooper's health.

Chapter 17

Jason Taylor sees Tory looking up dogs on her laptop and inquires if that's that reason she skipped the yacht party. Tory notes he is wearing a "griffin-crested navy sport coat, striped 'power' tie, blue button-down shirt, tan slacks, loafers." Jason tells Tory she needs to stop being with dogs and needs to party more. He also tells her why she's looking at wolfdogs on her laptop and Tory lies about it, saying it's for an essay. Then, Courtney Holt, Ashley Bodford, and Madison Dunkle appear, whom Tory calls "the Tripod of Skank."  They ask questions about Jason coming with them and insult Tory's like of wolves and dogs. Chance Claybourne, captain of the Lacrosse team, comes into the library out of the blue and Tory feels trapped in the library.

Chance Claybourne is "The son of state senator and pharmaceutical magnate Hollis Claybourne". His mother, Sally Claybourne, died while giving birth to Chance so Hollis had to raise his son by himself. When Chance turns 18 at his next birthday, he will inherited the Claybourne fortune.

Courtney sneers about Tory's love of wolves and Tory sees Chance's girlfriend, Hannah Wythe, come into the library also. Chance asks Tory about coming over to his house that afternoon and Ashley sneers about it. The bells then rings for the day to end.

Chapter 18

At 3:00 pm, Tory is waiting in front of Bolton Prep for Hi and Shelton. She mentions she is tone deaf as the stone lions at the entrance make her feel not alone and that Bolton Prep is on "Charleston's southwestern waterfront". Hi and Shelton finally appears and the three walk on Broad Street up to Meeting Street (where the Claybourne mansion is) "to Calhoun Street and the main branch of the Charleston Public Library." Hi, Shelton, and Tory enter the library and Brian Limestone introduces himself and takes the three to the section with the names of Charleston citizens. Tory, Hi, and Shelton begin looking for the identity of F. Heaton.

Chapter 19

Two hours later, Tory determines that F. Heaton is not a Charleston resident. When she looks through a collection of files she comes along the name of Francis P. Heaton. She, Hi, and Shelton read it.

Francis P. Heaton was born in 1934 and left on a doorstep of a Charleston orphanage. An investigation for his biological parents was started, but it failed. He was killed during the Vietnam War in 1968 when he was 34  and his daughter Katherine was 16.

Tory, Hi, and Shelton determine that the dog tag belongs to Katherine Heaton, who is 57. Tory tells Shelton to look up Katherine Anne Heaton and he does, finding out that Katherine disappeared when he was 16 in 1969. The three then looks through Gazette clippings and find that she "wore her father's dog tags to honor him." Tory determines that the F. Heaton they found is the F. Heaton mentioned on the dog tag. Brian then enters where Tory and her friends are and Shelton asks about Katherine Heaton. Tory notices fear on his face as Brian boots the three out of the library.

Chapter 20

Tory, Hi, and Shelton get on the last ferry to Morris Island at night and Tory dreams about finding Heaton's dog tag at night in monkey Y-7's territory on Loggerhead Island. Shelton, Hi, and Tom Blue (Ben's father) wake her up and Tory walks home.

Tory can't stop thinking about her dream and she drinks Red Bull during the night and uses Google Maps on her laptop to find the place in her dream on Loggerhead Island. She gets high resolution on her laptop and she finds the place in her dream that meant something. She Skypes Shelton, Hi, and Ben about going to Loggerhead Island the next day.

Chapter 21

Brian Limestone is locking up the library and he goes to the basement of the building and he thinks about Librarian Wilkerson (deceased) and strange Fenton Dawkins. He calls and reports Tory and her friends about their discovery about Katherine Heaton.

Chapter 22

The next day, Tory checks on Cooper before catching the ferry to school. She is distracted in biology about getting low on antibiotics and IV bags when Jason and Hannah tell her that there's assignment is to use certain genes to find out what animals are the closest human relatives (Them: Believe this. Me: Nah.). Jason, Hannah, and Tory exchange phone numbers after deciding which part of the assignment to work on and deciding to meet on Sunday at Jason's house. At lunch, Jason finds Tory sitting with Hi and tells her to join the group "Bolton Lacrosse" in the app iFollow for the evolution assignment. Chance then sneaks up on Tory, Hi, and Jason and says that "Privacy is dead." Tory notes that Chance's phone only takes calls and nothing else. There are only three hours left in the school day.

Chapter 23

At home, Tory and the band change out of their school uniforms to something else before getting on Sewee to Loggerhead Island. They dock at Dead Cat Beach and the band head into the forest. Tory tells her friends to start digging and they do. Three hours later, when Hi, Shelton, and Ben want to go home and Tory is starting to get tired, Tory uncovers the bones of a human hand (CUE "BONES" OPENING CREDITS).

Chapter 24

Ben is shocked that Tory founds bones and the boys say that their discovery is now police matters. Tory wants to dig more to make sure there are more human bones and the band thinks they found Katherine Heaton. Two hours later, Tory has unveiled a whole skeleton from the ground, and, with the same forensic knowledge like Temperance Brennan, determines that the skeleton is Katherine Heaton. Then, Tory instinctively knows people are coming after them.

Chapter 25

At first, Tory hears the sounds of the forest before she hears the sound of clanking metal. Then, something sounds like gunfire in the distance. Someone is after the band. Actually, three people are after the band. Tory runs into the forest towards Dead Cat Beach as three men fire their guns at the them.

Tory is laying inside Sewee, with Shelton and Ben, waiting to Hi to appear. Shelton goes hysteric just by worrying about Hi and Tory orders Shelton to calm down and for Ben to get Sewee offshore. Ben barely gets Sewee off the shore when Hi appears. He runs to Sewee and the band hug him as Ben gets Sewee away from Loggerhead Island.

Chapter 26

Hi is panicked, since he survived being shot by men with guns at night. And they lost their evidence. Ben drives Sewee right to an abandoned Fort Sumner on Morris Island. Tory sits next to Cooper and pets him. The band talk about them going to the police and the night. Tory then plans to tell Kit about the event at breakfast the next morning and then get Hi, Shelton, and Ben afterward.

Chapter 27

The next morning, Tory tells Kit about the incident last night and Kit tells the other parents. Ruth Stolowitski roasts Hi and Shelton had already told his parents. Ruth, Kit, Lorelei, and Tom go with Tory, Hi, Shelton, and Ben to the Folly Beach Police Department.

Folly Beach Police Department is the police department for Folly Beach and Morris Island. Sergeant Carmine Corcoran lets the parents talk and thinks that Tory and her friends are crazy. Kit says that all four tell the same story and Ruth wants to know the killer. Ten minutes later, a police boat takes the band and their parents to Loggerhead Island.

Chapter 28

Karsten is waiting furiously on Loggerhead Island and demands to know why the band is back. Kit tells Marcus that there is a dead body on the island and Tory leads the way. The group finds an ape skeleton instead of a human skeleton. Tory panics, saying that she saw the human skeleton earlier. Ruth tells her son "Hiram Moshe Stolowitski.... You're in big trouble, young man!" Karsten informs the parents about the break-in involving Cooper's disappearance.

Chapter 29

On the way back, Ruth roasts Hi and Lorelei is convinced that killers are unleashed on the islands. The band says that the ape bones made them look bad and Tory tells them to put iFollow on their phones and laptops. A day of school has been missed.

At dinner, Tory tells Kit she was scared about the bones. After dinner, Tory goes to iFollow on her laptop and goes "from Bolton Lacrosse to Bunker." The band video chats about the incident on Loggerhead Island. They think that Karsten is the killer (Brian Limestone is too young). Before logging off, Tory asks what Shelton, Hi, and Ben have planned for that night and she sneers.

Chapter 30

The band is in some azalea bushes behind the Charleston Public Library late at night. The band is going to break into the library. They enter through an already open window. As soon as they get in, Ben slams the window shut and turns a flashlight on. The four enter "the South Carolina Room" and Tory uses an ultraviolet flashlight to look for fingerprints. She gets none until she finds one fingerprint. Then, cops appear on the scene.

Chapter 31

The band panics about the cops and they decide to use an emergency fire exit to get out. They do, undetected.

Ten minutes later, the band is on Sewee. On the boat, Hi blacks out for a minute (Tory sees that he has gold eyes instead of brown ones for a second) and Tory says she feels great before falling asleep and says unknowingly says "Whisper."

Part Three: Incubation

Chapter 32

The next morning, Tory gets out of bed, tired. At lunch, Tory, Hi, and Shelton put their fingerprints on index cards so the band doesn't interrogate one of themselves. They determine the print is an arch and is recent (Tory has whorl fingerprints and Hi, Shelton, and Ben have looping fingerprints). After school, Tory talks to Jason about the fingerprint she found and how his father could ID it (Mr. Taylor is a police detective). Jason then gets Chance involved and Chance says someone from "SLED" (or the "South Carolina Law Enforcement Division") could help the band.

Chapter 33

The next day is Friday and summer is fourteen days/two weeks away. Tory mentions her hope is up for Cooper, since the previous night, he is recovering nicely. After a morning of school, the parents of the band take the band to Loggerhead Island so Karsten can interview them about the bones and Cooper's disappearance. The band decide what lie to say to Karsten.

Chapter 34

Karsten interrogates Hi first (his alibi is a dog festival), then Shelton (his alibi is going home from the dog festival and then hearing imaginative gunshots), then Ben (his alibi is about the gunshots and bones and dog festival), and then Tory. Karsten says that the band is lying and that Karsten used to work with Temperance Brennan five years prior to "Virals". Karsten also says he wants Cooper back and he thinks Tory is working with someone. Tory tells him to "Bring it on." Kit interrupts and takes the band home.

Chapter 35

The LIRI president is furious with Karsten. Karsten is in his office, stroking an ape skull he found. He determines Tory is the problem and plans to hunt her down.

Chapter 36

Cooper eats some Science Diet pet food in the bunker as the band talk about the interrogation. They also talk about their next move before telling Cooper goodnight and exiting the bunker.

Chapter 37

On Saturday, Tory goes over to the bunker and Cooper trips her over near some bushes. He is angry that he didn't get his belly rub and Tory nudges him back inside the bunker. Tory pets Cooper inside the bunker and uses bleach the sterilize the place when she blacks out for a moment and she reads Cooper's mind. After Tory recovers from her vertigo, she realizes that she can communicate with Cooper, but shrugs it off as a hallucination.

Tory goes to the Stolowitski household and Ruth greets her. She then finds Hi in his room, and she tells him about her breakdown (leaving out the telepathy). Then Tory goes to the Devers household and nothing answers her. She sees Ben fixing Sewee and Tory goes to her house to nap.

Chapter 38

Tory gets inside the house and Kit demands the truth. Tory tells him the same dog festival lie and Kit tells Tory Whitney's coming over for dinner.

At dinner, there is silence except the sound of moving utensils. Whitney then interrupts the silence by telling Tory that she will join a cotillion (Kit has already signed Tory up). Tory then has a blackout.

Chapter 39

Tory dreams about running away from some pursuers as a wolf. Tory then wakes up and suddenly smells more then she can handle before it disappears suddenly. She brings the feeling back and she can also see the living room in the highest definition possible. Then, her vision goes back to normal. Tory goes back to her room and contacts the band using her laptop. Hi, Shelton are sick and don't want to talk. Tory then remembers the evolution assignment and texts Jason that's she's sick and didn't do the assignment.

At 2:45 pm, Tory goes downstairs and suddenly goes bersek and rips ground beef out of the meat case for a minutes and begins chewing before realizing what it is. She figures something is wrong with her.

Chapter 40

Tory goes to school and tells Jason she didn't get the assignment done and Jason says the presentation is on Friday. During biology, Jason, Hannah, and Tory test different scents on Herbie, a gerbil, before Tory experiences her symptoms from yesterday. The Tripod of Skank mock Tory before Hannah takes Tory to recover. When the bell rings, Tory goes to the Nurse's Office.

Chapter 41

Nurse Riley checks Tory and gives her two Tylenol before sending her to AP British Literature class. Tory sits between Hi and Shelton in class and Mr. Edde is doing a crossword puzzle. Hi texts Tory a chatroom and Tory tells the two to meet at the bunker after school. Tory's avatar is a wolf, Hi's avatar is Napoleon Dynamite, and Shelton's avatar is "the Abominable Snowman eating a giant robot."

The band waits in the bunker before heading towards the dock since Ben didn't show up. Tory finds Ben and Tom getting off a boat and onto the island. Ben says he picked up a heavy piece of metal in the Blue household garage before Tory says that the band needs to talk.

Chapter 42

Cooper snuggles up to Tory as she tells Hiram, Benjamin, and Shelton about her power: super-smell and high definition vision. Ben says he feels strong when he has the impulses (he has super-strength), Hi has high definition vision, and Shelton has sharp hearing. They plan to find out what Karsten's up to.

Chapter 43

At lunch the next day, Tory and the band wait in line, which is unusually fast. The morning was made up of a school-wide meeting for conservation of energy. Both A Lunch and B Lunch have been combined and the menu is a buffet consisting of vegetables and chicken. Suddenly, Shelton, Ben, and Hi stop eating. They all have drool coming out of their mouths and they attack their chicken. Tory also. She stops herself and sees that Ben, Hi, and Shelton's eye are glowing a golden color. In haste, Tory pulls the fire alarm and it snaps the boys back to normal.

Chapter 44

The next day, Tory is going a cotillion dance that evening. Tory sleeps during the morning and afternoon and the dress that Whitney bought her is beautiful. "The dress practically dressed from the hanger to spin a pirouette. Marchesa. Light pink, strapless, with gold accent. It must've cost a thousand dollars. To my horror, it was my size. Below the dress sat a jewelry box containing two items. A silver David Yurman cable bracelet with pearl tips, and a diamind solitaire necklace."

During the car ride from Morris Island to Charleston, Whitney points out the jewelry is hers and the dress belongs to a friend of hers. Kit and Whitney drop Tory off at Fenworth House, a place in Charleston with oak ceilings and crystal chandeliers on them. As Tory walks inside, Jason notices her. "In his black tux and cummerbund, he looked like James Bond. The Daniel Craig version." Jason calls Chance over and Chance says he needs to go outside to wait for Hannah. Jason decides to help Tory on being a debutante and the Tripod of Skank notices Tory. They think she is pretty, confusing Tory. Hannah appears as Jason and Tory dance. During song #3, Jason dances with Hannah and Tory dances with Chance. When the music stops for a bit, Chance goes over to Hannah and Tory gets some punch. Jason is behind her as Tory suddenly "Flares" and shoves Jason to the ground easily. Tory then flees Fenworth House with no transportation, since Kit and Whitney are at the movies. Tory finds Tony Baravetto, Chance's servant, and asks for a ride home in his limo.

Tory gets home and sees Kit and Whitney cuddling on the couch. They see her and sit up when Tory flees to her room and realizes she is Viral.

Chapter 45

The next morning, the band meets in the bunker before school and they all say they feel better. They figure that they're reactions are "Flares", reactions caused by something in the enviorment around them and they decide they need answers fast.

Chapter 46

At school, Period 1 is biology and Tory takes notes. During lunch, she finishes her evolution assignment and sends it to Hannah and Jason via Gmail. After school, Jason talks to Tory about the assignment and the dance before going home. But Tory has other plans with her friends....

Chapter 47

Hi and Shelton snoop around Charleston to find the Charleston University Campus. When they find it, they go to the veterinary library and look around in the medical files. They find that Canine Parvovirus isn't infectious to humans, but "dependoviruses, bocaviruses, and erythroviruses" and Parvovirus B19 are. They leave the library.

Chapter 48

Tory and Ben are on Loggerhead Island, outside the LIRI base. They go inside and see that the security guard there is Sam. Tory and Ben convince him they need to go to Karsten's lab for math camp stuff and they have to get past Cornelia Hoke (aka "The Dragon"). They do and they have twelve minutes before she comes back from break. Tory and Ben look around Karsten's office and find a file on Lab Six, but it gives them a dead end before they find checks made to Karsten. Cornelia returns and Tory and Ben "Flare", escaping The Dragon.

Chapter 49

Hi and Shelton walk down the marina at night and they see two men in black clothes, smoking and talking to each other. Hi and Shelton decide to take a detour and walk towards Hi's synagogue "K. K. Beth Elohiem". The boys see the men again when they decide to walk back to the marketplace and run. The men follow them and Hi and Shelton suddenly "Flare" and run like The Flash before being cornered by the men and escaping them.

Chapter 50

At the bunker, the band discuss their discoveries before Karsten invades the abandoned fort.

Chapter 51

Karsten hisses at Tory about her plan and then says he feels guilty about his experiment before says that he turned them into Virals (ROLL CREDITS).

Chapter 52

Karsten is surprised and is eager to find out what the band's symptoms are. They still don't trust him, but they tell him about their flus and powers. Karsten says that the virus changed their DNA (changing their brains in the process) and "inserted canine DNA" . Suddenly, Cooper growls as men (not Karsten's cronies) surround the fort.

Chapter 53

Tory tells Karsten to hold Cooper and when she gets outside, she sees men holding guns outside the fort. She goes back inside and Karsten leads the band to the emergency exit, a tunnel. Suddenly the men sense the band's presence and Karsten shoves Tory, Hi, Ben, Shelton, and Cooper into the tunnel, not joining them in escaping and he asks for forgiveness. The band goes into the tunnel and the tunnel begins to collapse.

Chapter 54

Tory, Hi, Shelton, Ben, and Cooper are trapped in the tunnel and Tory wonders what happened to Karsten. As the band tries to find an exit, Tory can suddenly read their minds and can send messages to the other telepathically. Then, they find a ladder than goes into the night. When they get to the surface, they see the men handle Dr. Marcus Karsten, shot and killed, in a bag.

Part Four: Insight

Chapter 55

It's Friday, and Tory's PowerPoint presentation was a disaster and the Tripod is thinking of ways of harass her. Tory can't stop thinking about Karsten's murder and how someone would want to murder the band.

At the end of school, Chance meets Tory outside the school and tells her the fingerprint she found belongs to a "James Newman", who is known for "petty theft and assaults to robbery, drug trafficking, even murder." Chance tells Tory to be careful before he kisses her and walks away.

Chapter 56

Hi walks up to Tory at the school and asks her about the fingerprint. Tory tells him about James Newman and they decide to find something that the police didn't find.

Hi and Tory plan to look into "the DOE Network" about Katherine Heaton. They do and they plan to talk to Sylvia Briggerman, who they assume last saw Katherine alive.

Chapter 57

Tory and Hi take the bus to James Island Park, a park with swampland in it. They walk on the roads to "The Shady Gardens retirement community" and they lie about Sylvia being their great-aunt to Roberta Parrish. When they see her, Sylvia says she doesn't have any nephews or nieces. Tory thinks they are busted when Tory asks her about Sylvia's niece Katherine. Sylvia tells Tory and Hi about Katherine, Frank Heaton, and Katherine's friend Abby Quimby before the teens leave.

Tory calls Abby Quimby and tells her about Katherine Heaton. Abby tells Tory about the science project mentioned by Sylvia, which was about endangered species and that Kate never showed up for lunch on the day she was murdered. Tory tells Hi they are going to Morris Island's lighthouse.

Chapter 58

Shelton and Ben worry about the plan to go to the lighthouse, but Tory reassures them before going to the lighthouse.

Morris Island Lighthouse is made from stone, doesn't work, and was built in 1876. The sea is at high tide, so Ben has to be careful on docking Sewee. The boat is docked at a cofferdam surrounding the building. The band gets inside and they climb up the stairs. The top is the lantern control room and it's filled with bird nests, eggshells, and bird poop. Hi, Shelton, and Ben decide to give up when Tory "Flares", giving her high-definition sight and smell. She looks around and finds Katherine Heaton's backpack.

Chapter 59

When the band gets back to their neighborhood, they go to the Devers household garage, since Fort Sumter was found by the killers. The band then looks through Katherine's journal carefully and they find that Katherine found bald eagles on Cole Island. Tory thinks that's the reason Katherine was killed: her bald eagle discovery.

Chapter 60

The next morning, Tory walks to the Morris Island's west bunker, where Cooper is kept. She gives him food before calling the others to meet. They use Hi's computer to look up the land records and they find that Candela Pharmaceuticals owns Cole Island and Hollis Claybourne gave it to them. They come up with a theory that Hollis kills Katherine to stop her from exposing the eagles and that Hollis also kills Marcus to silence him.

Chapter 61

The band meets at the Charleston marina to break into the Claybourne household. Tory says that Chance is at the lacrosse team tournament and that Hollis is at state legislature for the weekend. They walk there and Tory finds a key in the ground before getting inside. 

Chapter 62

Tory goes down a servant's hallway and finds an elaborate dining room. She walks through it and a hallway, paintings of dead Claybourne family members on the wall before going into a foyer with a mosaic stain-glassed dome on the top. At one end of the hallway is a flight of stairs. Tory climbs it and has to find Hollis' private study up there. She finds Chance's bedroom instead and she sees that there is no James Newman and that the fingerprint belongs to Tony Baravetto. Tory assumes Chance is her killer.

Chapter 63

Tory "Flares" out of anger and goes to the third floor, following the scent of tobacco. She finds Hollis' study and sees that he was a collector. She smells loan and Windex and Tory goes up the stairs in the room and onto the catwalk. A small cabinet with three pictures of young Hollis (one with him on Cole Island) and a box containing Francis Heaton's dog tags is found there. Then, Chance find Tory in the room.

Chapter 64

Chance asks why Tory is there and she confronts him with the evidence that Hollis is a murderer. Chance says that he already knows about the story and that Hollis killed Katherine for selling Cole Island to Candela. If the eagles were reported, the sale would be off. He also says that he did try to shoot Tory that night since he had order to recover the bones and that there are spies at LIRI. Chance demands Tory give him her bag and she does. They leave.

Chapter 65

Hollis Claybourne is smoking a cigar in his car when Tory walks right past the car. Hollis hisses at his driver to take him to "the capitol" and he calls his hitman to kill Tory and the band.

Chapter 66

At Morris Island, on Sewee, the band talks about Chance's encounter with Tory. They then decide to sabotage the Claybournes.

Chapter 67

2:00 am. The band is outside Claybourne Manor and they get inside by getting over the iron gates by the way of a rope. They get inside and go to Hollis' study and don't find Katherine's skeleton there. They then figure out that Heaton's skeleton is in a cellar because the house was made before electricity was invented. 

Chapter 68

Tory, Ben, Hi, and Shelton enter the cellar and begin poking around for Heaton's skeleton. They find her skeleton in a wine barrel before Chance finds them. He has a gun and he threatens them before Hannah shows up. Chance gives Hannah the gun (by force) and points it at Tory's head.

Chapter 69

Tory figures out that Hannah found the bunker and shot Karsten. Hannah sneers and says Tony Baravetto shot Karsten. Hannah orders Tory to hand over her backpack and for the band and Chance to back up against the wall. Chance tells Hannah she can't be involved, but she says she knows about it due to eavesdropping and that somebody needs the Claybournes to survive. Tory asks about the parvovirus and Hannah says he tested it for Candela to cure. Chance says their relationship is over, but Hannah sneers and says she will marry him by force (Hollis had already decided).

Chapter 70

As Hannah confronts Chance, Tory "Flares" and telepathically tells the other to "Flare" as well. Hannah freaks out as Tory mind-tells them to scatter. Hannah shoots Hi and Tory picks up a crowbar and begins beating Hannah with it. Ben slams Chance to the ground and Hannah shoots him. Chance then accidentally shoots himself while fighting over the gun with Hannah. Hannah blames The Virals and begins shooting at Ben before Shelton throws a wine bottle at her. She dodges and begins shooting The Virals. "I'll kill every one of you!" she screams as she chases the band. Hi tries to bring her down to the floor by force, but fails. Tory tries to ambush Hannah, but Hannah tries to shoot Tory. The gun is out of bullets and Tory attacks Hannah using a part of Heaton's skeleton. The band then recovers and Hi isn't dead (he got red wine on himself and played possum) and decide to call the police. Tony Baravetto appears and is about to shoot Tory when she slams into him, knocking him over. Tory calls the police before she faints.

Chapter 71

Tory wakes up outside Claybourne Manor and Hi inform her that Tony and Hannah have been arrested, Chance is alive, and that the boys handed over the evidence of the eagles on Cole Island and Heaton's murder. The parents are on the front lawn.

Kit and Tory reunite and tells him about the entire scenario. Before going home, Tory tries to talk to Chance, but he is unresponsive.

Epilogue

Ben anchors Seewee on Turtle Beach and Tory smells "sand and salt blended with those of myrtle and palmetto." The band is on Loggerhead Island. The news about Hollis Claybourne's arrest for the murders of "Katherine Heaton and Marcus Karsten" is all over the news. Other people have been arrested for the murders. Hi is trying to get Cooper onto Turtle Beach. Then, Whisper the wolf appears and snarls at the band. Cooper walks towards his mother and then back over to the band. Tory says that she's letting Cooper go, but the wolfdog stays. The band then helps Cooper into Sewee and they call themselves the "Virals" .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
294K 17.9K 40
You live in a different time zone Think I know what this is It's just the time's wrong
5.1M 45.2K 53
Welcome to The Wattpad HQ Community Happenings story! We are so glad you're part of our global community. This is the place for readers and writers...