Flour Girl (Bucky x reader Ba...

By avengerofyourheart

[FINISHED] Discovering the cute guy you just flirted with is the heir of a rival bakery, you suddenly find yo... More

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Epilogue (End)

Part 1

18.9K 401 271
By avengerofyourheart

Characters: reader, Bucky (Jimmy), Clint, Wanda.

Summary: Discovering the cute guy you just flirted with is the heir of a rival bakery, you suddenly find yourself running into him all over the city. Can your small boutique bakery compete? And how do you deal with the guy who seems determined to make your life a living hell? Luckily you're distracted by a secret admirer...But who is he? (Inspired by "You've Got Mail", Enemies to Lovers)

Warnings: none! Mild swearing?

Word Count: 1.2k

A/N: It's here!! I'm so excited to finally be sharing this story with you!! Ever since I mentioned this idea almost a year ago on, it has been nudging me to write it. Two months of work and it's ready to go out into the world. Let's get this started! Whoo!! :D I can't wait to hear your thoughts! Any and all feedback is appreciated. I adore you all. <3

_______________________________________

Five slices of strawberry, three ripe blackberries, a handful of plump blueberries, and a dusting of powdered sugar as a finishing touch. Perfect. Straightening up from your bent-over position, you surveyed your work with a smile and placed the last mini fruit tart in a box before securing the lid.

"Done," you spoke out loud to yourself with an accomplished sigh. 

Wanda, your one and only employee, was arriving just as you placed the last box in the back of your car and closed the trunk. She would mind the cash register and pastry counter while you were out on deliveries.

"Morning, Wanda," you greeted her with a smile.

"Hey, Y/N," she replied with a yawn.

"There's a fresh pot of coffee. The good stuff," you said with a wink.

"Ugh, you're a lifesaver. I didn't have time to stop. But guess what I saw?" she leaned in close with a narrowing of her eyes.

"What?"

"A delivery van for Barnes Bakery," she whispered, scandalized.

Your mouth gaped open. "Here? But their delivery area is basically all of Brooklyn! I didn't think they'd branched out across the bridge..." you trailed off. Wanda clutched your hand in comfort as she saw the look of worry on your face.

Barnes Bakery had been around forever and were known for their breads, rolls, and occasional pastries. Your small shop was doing well, but was still within the first year of opening, which was the most vulnerable time for a new business. If they were seeking new coffee shops and restaurants to supply their goods to, there was no way you could compete.

Straightening your spine, you shook off those thoughts and forced a smile on your face. "You know what? It's fine. We have totally different products and there's plenty of business to go around. Don't you worry about a thing," you said confidently with a squeeze of her hand.

Wanda eyed you for a second but then smiled as well. "Okay. You better get going."

"Hm? Oh! Right. Gotta be on time to keep my clients happy! Oh, could you punch down the cinnamon roll dough in about 20 minutes? I shouldn't be much longer than that but just in case," you asked, knowing that a yeast dough like that could get out of control if you weren't careful.

"Got it," she agreed, setting a timer on her phone using Siri.

"I'll be back!"

_____________________

Pushing the glass door open with your hip, you carefully carried the two large, white rectangular boxes into the last cafe on your delivery list. The Hawk's Nest was owned by Clint Barton, who was the first of your wholesale clients and you would be forever grateful to him for taking a chance on you. The shop was small with a few tables opposite the counter, but the real draw was the high ceilings and loft upstairs filed with large bean bag chairs and cozy little corners to read or study in. Most just called it the Nest.

As you approached the counter, you noticed a very attractive man leaning against the wall with one elbow resting on the counter. His eyes found yours and as you stepped nearer, the brilliant blue shade of them captured you momentarily. He offered a smile and you returned it, suddenly self-conscious about the flour dusted on your pants and how your hair and makeup were the last of your worries this morning.

Setting the boxes safely on the counter you looked around for Clint, but he must have been in the back room at the moment. Taking a deep breath, you noticed as the man only a few feet away from you leaned forward and sniffed the air.

"Mmm. Something smells good," he grinned.

Taking in his appearance, the stranger wore well-fitting jeans and a plain green t-shirt just snug enough to showcase his muscular physique. His dark brown hair looked effortlessly tousled and soft, your fingers itching to run through it. Below those brilliant blues eyes were plump, pink lips with straight white teeth and a chiseled jaw with just a dusting of scruff. He smirked as he noticed your gaze linger a moment too long.

Temporarily unable to speak, you lifted the lid of one of the boxes to show what was inside. Hand-rolled chocolate croissants, fresh fruit tarts, shortbread cookies, and blueberry muffins. And that was in just one of the boxes.

The man's eyes widen as he peered inside. "Wow. That looks amazing. Did you make all of that?" he asked with an impressed tone.

Nodding, you finally found your voice. "I did. I have a shop about 5 blocks west and also sell to a few of the coffee shops like this one," you spoke proudly.

"Really? I might have to stop by sometime," he replied, leaning in a little closer. "What's the name of your shop?"

"City Sweets."

"I like it. And you sell things like this here?" he asked, pointing to the contents of the box.

"That and much more. My almond croissant and chocolate ganache tart are also to die for. If I do say so myself," you boasted, looking away from the intensity of his gaze. When you glance back up, he was still watching you. "You should come by."

"Well, you've sold me on it. I'll definitely be dropping by," he promised in a quiet, low voice that made your heart catch in your throat. "And...will you be there?"

Afraid that your voice might not cooperate, you just nodded.

"Okay then."

Clearing your throat, you finally mustered a bit of courage. "Y/N. My name. I'm...Y/N," you stammered, kicking yourself at how uncool you sounded.

He just grinned. "Nice to meet you, Y/N. I'm—"

"Jimmy!"

You heard the booming voice of Clint as he approached from the back, drawing both of your attentions.

"Oh, hey, Y/N! Oooh. That all looks awesome. I'll check that out in just a minute," he addressed you, then turning his attention to the man beside you. Jimmy, apparently. "I looked over the contract and it all looks good, man. Here you go. Say hi to your dad for me," he said, handing over a stack of papers to Jimmy.

"I will. Thanks, Clint. Nice to meet you, Y/N," he lastly spoke to you, giving a mock salute to you both before he did an about-face and head for the door. On the back of his t-shirt was a familiar logo with the words "Barnes Bakery" printed in bold letters.

You felt the blood drain from your face. "I...wha....he works at Barnes Bakery?" you finally spoke in a utter surprise, turning toward Clint. "What is he doing here?"

"Looks like they're expanding outside Brooklyn so I got a few samples to try. I'm gonna start buying their bagels. Did you know they had bagels? Cause I didn't," Clint shrugged casually.

"No...I didn't...and what does Jimmy do?"

"That's the boss's son. He just graduated college so I guess he's back home to help his dad grow the business. Pretty cool," Clint told you, taking a long drink of his extra large coffee mug before focusing on your box of baked goods.

He checked it all over and signed the invoice you handed him. Your interaction was just as it usually was, but somehow you felt a change in the air. Not to mention, you had humiliated yourself in front of your competition.

Damn. You had flirted with the enemy.

_____________

Part Two>> Coming Thurs, 19 July!!

____________________________________________

So???? Don't all those pastries sound amazing?? *drool* That delivery van sounded ominous and then this mysterious Jimmy showing up? Hmmm. I had so much fun imagining Clint owning a coffee shop!! I just had to call it The Hawk's Nest!! :D A little flirting never hurt anyone, but quite the shock when he turns out to be the competition. Whoops. Things might get a little sticky!! And Jimmy?? That nickname will be explained later on. ;) I'd love to hear what you think of this first part! Oh, and this part is the shortest of them all cause I tried to write a drabble series and failed. ha. More words, more story, more yum!! More coming on Thursday! :D All feedback is appreciated. I love you all!! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.9K 360 36
When Bucky finally works up the courage to ask out the cute barista from the coffee shop, he doesn't expect to fall so hard in love with his new litt...
230K 7.7K 29
Enemies to lovers... need I say more? Bucky Barnes is your worst enemy. You absolutely hate him, so everything goes wrong when you have to pretend...
190K 5K 200
"You're staring." Bucky speaks with some insecurity in his voice "You can't blame me, Barnes." I shake my head with a smirk. "You're just a sight I d...
58.8K 1.1K 25
This is how a CEO falls in love with a Baker! But this is just a few obstacles in their imaginary kitchen of love.. He's married and she doesn't wan...