Mistaken Perception

By Asiya323

Life can be brutal and uncaring to some. Aisha was one of those unfortunate "some" she had deceived herself... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Epilogue

Chapter 15

2K 170 19
By Asiya323

Aisha was able to leave the house quietly, while everyone was still sleeping. Zainab and Maimoona had decided to stay over the weekend, so Aisha wasn't worried about the kids, plus they were off from school.  So, she could drive to work in peace, and most importantly on time. 

She hadn't been able to sleep well the night before, she had been tossing and turning thinking about what her meeting with Meredith would be like.

 She gently parked her car and walked into the building, not in any rush. She pressed the button for the elevator and glanced at her phone, remembering that she would have to face Gabriel again. The man continued to confuse her, he was hot and cold. His temperament and behavior flipping from one end of the spectrum to the other. 

She groaned as she recalled the last heated conversation they had. He knew she had insulted him five years ago on live radio.  

she had been young and out for blood that day she remembered. Shamsa had been annoying her, she had forced Aisha to listen to the radio interview because Shamsa at that time had a small crush on Gabriel. 

Her heart squeezed a little as she walked around setting things up for Gabriel and Sebastian. She had lost her sister, but now, she was working for the man her sister had once liked. 

~~~ Five years ago~~~

Aisha and her sister were stuck in traffic. And Aisha knew they would be late for the event, all because her older sister had to redo her makeup. Aisha glanced at her sister, who looked like she was ready for a photoshoot.

She was naturally tall and willowy, she had taken after their father's dusky complexion. She had a pair of obsidian-colored eyes, which were at the moment hidden behind her sunglasses. A cute gold ring adorned her pointy nose.

Her little sister, on the other hand, was slouched in her seat. Aisha had favored her mother's golden brown coloring and looked like the one with mixed blood. She was shorter than her sister and curvier. All her features resembled her mother, except when it came to her eyes. She had her fathers light brown eyes, that seemed to dance with hues of green. Her fingers tapped on her book impatiently, she chewed on her bottom lip in annoyance. She turned her face to her older sister, with a huff, she lifted her small slender hand to change the radio station.

"Don't you dare touch my radio Aisha" warned Shamsa, swatting her sisters hand away.

Aisha rolled her eyes.

"Come on, I can't stand this lady she annoys me" grumbled her Aisha slouching down on the passenger seat even more.

"She annoys me too. But do you have any idea who her guest is today?" squealed Shamsa with a wide smile. 

"Some stupid celebrity" sighed Aisha as she fixed her hijab.

"Nope, he's not stupid. He is not only hot and young but he is also smart. Did I mention that he is smoking hot," giggled Shamsa as she took her sunglasses off, to wink at her younger sister. That caused another eye roll from Aisha.

"If you say so," Aisha sighed going back to her book.

"Wait. Aren't you even going to ask who it is?" questioned Shamsa disbelief written on her face.

"I only care if it's someone interesting," replied Aisha.

"Like?" questioned her sister, giving her a curious look. 

Aisha sat still for a moment thinking about her answer.

"Well... someone like Bruno Mars I guess" she shrugged with a grin.

"You don't even like him," drawled her sister shaking her head.

"Easy come... easy go... that's just how you live oh......take...take...take it all but you never give..." sang Aisha snapping her fingers to her own singing

"NO! Please stop. Anything but "Grenade", I think I have heard you sing that song a thousand times. Plus, it's so old," complained Shamsa trying to drown out Aisha with her louder voice. 

Shamsa glanced at her sister, but Aisha had her eyes closed swaying to the song only she seemed to be hearing.

"I'll catch a grenade for ya. Throw my hand on a blade for ya. I'll jump in front of a train for ya. You know I'll do anything for yaa" sang Aisha while trying to hold in her laughter at her older sister's behavior.

"I swear if you don't stop singing...I'm...I'm going to stop this car" screeched Shamsaa

Aisha pretended like she didn't even hear her, she only seemed to increase the volume of her voice.

"Mad women, bad women that's just....."

Shamsa threw a hand over her sister's mouth and turned the radio louder.

"Welcome back amazing and wonderful listeners. We have quite a treat for those of you who are listening today" began a ladies voice through the radio

"Seriously, this is stupid" complained Aisha, stopping her song to pry her sister's hand from her mouth

"Hush woman, and listen" instructed her older sister.

"Our special hunky guest today is none other than Gabriel Mathews. Our very own's sweetheart. That's right ladies and gents. The same man who topped the Forbes list, 30 under 30 this year," giggled the interview lady.

 A male chuckle came from the radio speakers causing Shamsa to squeal like a schoolgirl. Aisha shook her head at her sister.

"Oh Allah, even his laugh sounds sexy," sighed Shamsa fanning herself with her hand.

"Please. Don't you know that peoples voices don't always match their bodies? At least he isn't some actor or singer" sighed Aisha. 

Shamsa gave her an impatient look. She clicked her tongue in disapproval before she reached behind her seat for something.

"Shamsa!" exclaimed Aisha in fear.

Aisha launched forward to try and steady the wheel for her sister.

"What is wrong with you? Are you trying to get us into a car crash" screamed Aisha.

A second later Shamsaa settled back into her seat. She threw a magazine at Aisha.

"Please don't overreact" huffed Shamsaa taking back the wheel, and acting like she hadn't just put both their lives in danger.

"Why don't you look at the cover and page 38. Then, tell me if his voice doesn't match his body" she said with a wiggle of her eyes.

"Unbelievable... Unbelievable," yelled Aisha throwing her hands up in defeat.

"you put our lives in danger for a stupid man's picture. You almost killed us for a picture" growled Aisha

"Hey don't call him stupid. You don't know him. Besides, we aren't dead. Alhamdulillah of course" Shamsaa smirked.

Aisha grabbed the magazine and looked at the cover. A tall man stared back at her. He had on a business suit but the top buttons were undone. Enough for you to get a glimpse of his sculpted tan muscles and the beginnings of a tattoo that seemed to cover the left side of his chest.

He had black curls that seemed to have been perfectly placed on his head. It looked as if his nose had been broken before. Making it clear that he had a wild side.

He looked like a pirate, Aisha mused to her self, it was the suite that threw the whole image off.

 He appeared almost regal with the way he was standing. His head slightly elevated, giving off a proud arrogant vibe. With a pair of golden eyes that seemed to see right through you. 

He gave off such a masculine feeling, it was easy to see why her sister was falling over herself.

Aisha frowned at the picture

"You think this is hot?" she asked with a raised eyebrow

Shamsa gave her a nod and a wink.

"Please, nowadays it's hard to know what's real and what's not. How much was this picture airbrushed, huh? Plus, he looks..... looks.... too proud and arrogant. I don't think he is all that great. People should be judged and evaluated based on their character...not their looks, " huffed Aisha.

Shamsa rolled her eyes deciding to tune her younger sister out. Instead, she listened closely to the radio.

"Yes. It's true a little. I may only be a twenty-three-year-old CEO. But I do have experience thanks to my mom. She had me doing all the work of a CEO at the age of seventeen under her supervision of course. But she had wanted me to know exactly what I was getting into. She was a great mentor," replied Gabriel.

"Wow, that was very smart of her. But you also recently placed number one, on our online poll of the sexiest businessman in America. Why do you think you were chosen as the number one man and not your younger brother? He placed third I believe," laughed his interviewer.

Gabriel cleared his throat, and Aisha wasn't sure if he was surprised by the question, or if he was being smug. 

"My brother Sebastian is well known for...his carefree tendencies," replied Gabriel causing the woman to laugh.

 "He is a great man, but, he isn't the type to stick to a relationship. Something that all women want," chuckled Gabriel.

Aisha had to admit to herself, he didn't sound proud or smug. Maybe she was judging him too harshly.

"I guess this is a good moment to ask you, the type of women you are interested in?" asked the Interviewer with a sultry tone to her voice.

Aisha rolled her eyes.

"Why doesn't she just come out and ask him out already," she sighed grabbing her book again.

He chuckled again, his baritone voice vibrating through the speakers.

"I like a simple girl really, who is strong-willed as well as strong in character. Looks to me are not that important because they don't last" he laughed.

"Did you hear that? he said he goes for character and not looks," smirked Shamsa giving her sister a knowing look. 

"Maybe... I was hasty in judging him," replied Aisha her nose firmly in her book. Shamsa only snorted.

"Oh, I can see why they call you mister-dreamy," The lady sighed.

"Ok, If I was to pull up your top twenty-five most played songs on your phone. What would the top three be?" she questioned.

"Her questions are random and don't even focus on his accomplishments, or his background. What is wrong with this lady?" grumbled Aisha putting her book down again and giving the radio a disapproving look. 

"Look who is now interested...besides she is asking the kind of questions I want to know. Shallow, superficial nonsense," giggled Shamsa causing Aisha to crack a smile. 

"Number one is for sure "Right Back" by Maxine Nightingale, then it's "Skinny Love" I believe and finally "Ain't No Sunshine". Most of the songs change within the week. But number one is always right back" he replied.

"So you're a fan of old music? Why is that song so special?" she asked.

"I love music from around that time. But as for why that song is so special. It's really because of my mom. She used to sing it all the time around the house when I was growing up. It didn't matter what she was doing, she was either humming it or singing it. She used to tell me how this was her and my father's song," he paused for a second.

Both girls were quite in the car listening. 

"My dad wasn't in my life for a long time. He died when I was still young. I guess the song represents him for me. A man who loved his wife and who would have been a great father if he lived," he explained

 "That is so sweet" sighed Shamsaa with a smile, glancing at her sister for her agreement.

Aisha only gave her a small shrug. 

Her sister rolled her eyes.

"I know you knew that this question would come up at some point. But recently you have said something that upset quite a few people" said the woman.

"I know what incident you're talking about" replied Gabriel honestly.

"Do you think you were being too harsh or insensitive? Regarding the comment you made about Muslim women?" asked the lady.

Both girls in the car froze, they stared at each other, before glancing back at the radio holding their breath. Aisha gave her sister a questioning look. Shamsa shrugged as if to say, she didn't know what they were talking about.

"No. I don't think that I was. My statement was based on my own personal feelings and situation. I can see how it upset some people. But I feel that Muslim women put on a charade, pretending that they are modest and righteous. When in actuality they really are like all other women out there. They make you believe they are different, only for their true colors to come out later on," he replied.

"I feel like you may have had quite a few experiences with Muslim women," said the interviewer trying to dig into his past. 

"I have, but had it only been me that it happened to... I would have thought it was my bad luck. But I know a few other men counting my brother, that had bad experiences with Muslim women" he answered in an aloof voice.

"I see. Ok listeners, it's time that we take your calls to hear what you have to say," said the interviewer.

Aisha dived for her bag taking out her phone.

"What's the number?" she questioned

Shamsa blinked once in surprise before she hurriedly searched it for her on her phone. They listened as hormonal girls called in, just to tell him how amazing they thought he was. Seconds later Shamsaa read it off to her younger sister. Aisha hurriedly dialed the number in anger.

"This will be our last and final call. Hello there who am I speaking too?" asked the lady

"Do I have to give my name?" asked Aisha

Shamsa parked quickly in a gas station. She looked at her younger sister in awe.

"Not if you don't want, where are you calling from, miss?" said the lady with a chuckle

"From the highway," replied Aisha.

"Well... then.... miss what is it that you would like to say" asked the lady a bit confused. 

"I just wanted to say that..." Aisha looked at her sister urgently

"What's his name?" she questioned in a whisper.

The lady in the radio boomed with laughter.

"His name is Gabriel," answered Gabriel amusement clear in his voice.

Aisha blushed in embarrassment, though no one could see her.

"Right. All I wanted to say to you mister Gabriel, is that I found your statement concerning Muslim women very offending. Not only was it rude of you to generalize Muslim women in such a way. But, I also found it quite arrogant of you to think, you can make such a bold statement, based on a couple of women you met in your life," said Aisha in as calm a voice, she could manage

"Are you Muslim?" asked Gabriel in a bored tone.

"Yes, I am" replied Aisha in as cold a voice.

"Than your opinion doesn't mean anything to me really. You're biased in your judgment. Had you been a non-muslim... I would maybe reconsider my statement," he replied calmly but condescendingly.

Aisha gritted her teeth.

"Then how about I make a generalizing statement of my own. How would you feel if I said that all white American man are psychopaths, or have the potential to be one?" Asked Aisha coldly, which seemed to silence both Gabriel and the host. 

"And I would base this on the history of psychopaths, but also that my own cousin was hurt badly, by a sadistic white man. And she wasn't the only one either. He had killed several women before her," Aisah again paused hoping to make her point clear.

"This man happened to be a white American man. Would that be fair of me? To judge all white men in the same way? It wouldn't be, because I can't generalize like that," replied Aisha coldly.

Gabriel sighed.

"I'm truly sorry about what happened to your cousin. But in my defense, you have met good, nice, wonderful men who are white Americans, have you not?" he asked.

"I have," replied Aisha trying to figure out what he was trying to say.

"Exactly. I, on the other hand, have not met a Muslim woman, who was other than what I had said earlier. If I ever do meet one, then and only then will I change my opinion," he replied.

"So what you're saying... is that you don't mind being a jerk. Because even though you know you haven't met enough Muslim women to make such a bold statement...You still will. That sounds like an ignorance to me," said Aisha drawing a gasp from the host and her own sister.

"Let me ask you something. Do you know the number of Muslim women in the world? Have you met them all? Been to the multiple different countries we are from? Or are you basing your statement on a couple of girls who hurt you in the past? I can guess that it's the later one. If you really want to make such rude statement, back it up with some factual information, and not on a wounded heart or pride," growled Aisha before she hung up.

"OH MY ALLAH, THAT WAS SOOOOOOO EPIC. YOU ARE MY NEW... ALL-TIME HERO" yelled her sister jumping up and down in her seat.

Aisha looked at her sisters bubbly self. And slowly her anger began to simmer down.

"My oh my, what a feisty little thing she was, though I must say she did bring up a good point," said the hostess

"Good points or not. I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I would like to point out that she didn't have to go to another country. Just so she can encounter good American men. The US has a high population of Muslim women. If Muslim women aren't what I said they were. Then I should be able to meet at least one decent one," replied Gabriel coldly

"That is also a good point. Well, it's time we wrapped up this interview. It was a wonderful and an honor to meet such a man as your self. Mr. Gabriel Matthews, I hope to hear more of your great achievements," giggled the hostess

"It was wonderful to be here and a pleasure," he replied with a chuckle.

"Well then our amazing listeners, here is the song "Right back" in honor of Gabriel's parent's love," said the hostess.

"Thank you," he said to her in a gracious voice.

"What an ass," fumed Aisha, not seeming to notice the word that seemed to leave her lips. 

Her sister just chuckled at her. Aisha grabbed the magazine tearing off the cover, only so she could shred it to pieces.

"Feel better?" asked her sister

She opened the window, throwing the pieces out.

"I would have felt better if I burned it. I hope I never hear that man's name from your lips ever again," said Aisha sinking back into her seat. 

"You won't...now, let's enjoy this good song," chuckled the older sister.

She turned the radio louder and began to sing along. Halfway through the song, Aisha joined in.

"Oooo and it's alright, and it's comin' 'long. We got to get back to where we started from........"

~~~Present Time~~~

Aisha could feel a smile on her face at the memory. It was amazing that he hadn't changed his views these past five years. She shook her head as she went through her mail. She grabbed some papers to take to Gabriel's office when she heard the elevator opening. 

"Aisha?" said Justine's voice causing Aisha to glance back and look. 

Justine seemed to run out of the elevator followed by Sebastian and Gabriel, both seemed to have concerned looks on their faces. Aisha glanced back at the older woman and noticed her face was streaked with tears. 

"Whats wrong..." but before she could finish her sentence, she was pulled into the older woman's arms. 

"I'm so sorry...I didn't know...I don't know why I didn't see it," said Justine taking a step back her eyes roaming over Aisha. She touched Aisha's cheek the tears falling from her eyes.

Aisha looked back at Justine confusion clear on her face and eyes.

"Is everything ok...I don't know..." began Aisha unsure of what to do. She glanced at the two men for help. 

Gabriel shook his head to indicate they didn't know what was going on. But Justine's next words seemed to freeze Aisha. 

"You're the  exact replica of your mother, I don't know how I didn't see it...your as beautiful as she was...your her, except for your eyes...those are..." Justine paused again the tears falling.

" My fathers," replied Aisha with a sad smile. 

"Why didn't you say anything...why didn't you tell me? Why didn't I see it...I tried to come to the funeral when I heard...but I didn't know where you all lived...your parents...your mother...father, I'm indebted to both of them," cried Justine cupping Aisha's face in her hands.

"Your father designed this building...you know that of course," Justine paused trying to catch her breath.

"One of his first designs," replied Aisha the smile still faint on her lips. 

Justine nodded a pained laugh escaping from her lips. 

"And your mother...she saved our lives...she worked with Meredith to ensure I got full custody of my kids. And you're her daughter...and I hadn't recognized you...I hadn't taken care of you...I failed her... If Meredith didn't tell me I..." Justine broke off and began to cry heavily as she folded Aisha back into her arms.

"I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry...I'm ...so sorry," she repeated in a broken voice. 

Aisha was an at a loss for words before she wrapped her arms around Justine as well. 

"You offered me a job and gave me a chance here. You took me in not knowing who I was. You have been nothing but supportive and warm to me. I know both my parents would have appreciated what you have done for me here," said Aisha gently wiping the tears from Justine's face. 

"Maybe this office hasn't been the easiest...or friendliest...but that has nothing to do with you, or what you have done for me. Besides, my parents raised me to be strong, and tough situations only build us up," said Aisha glancing at Gabriel once before looking back at Justine. 

Gabriel at least had the decency to look ashamed as he watched the scene that was unfolding before his eyes. 

"I've been doing well, able to take care of my siblings without any worry...and I have Allah to thank for that and you, so thank you," said Aisha gently and placed a small kiss on Justine's forehead.

"So please, don't cry...I'm not very good with tears," said Aisha with a small smile causing Justine to laugh and Sebastian to join in. 

All Gabriel could think was just how amazing Aisha looked as she smiled. Maybe it was about time he stopped acting like an ass to a girl, who by the sound of, whose family he was indebted to as well. 

"Well I must look like a mess," sighed Justine a small sad smile on her face. 

"You still look pretty mom," said Sebastian gently wrapping an arm around his mom and guiding her away. 

Gabriel and Aisha found themselves alone a heavy awkward silence hanging between them. They seemed to look everywhere but each other. 

"I'm sorry," said Gabriel while Aisha said "Thank you," they paused finally looking at each other.

"Why in the world would you be thanking me?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. 

"For the hook up with your grandma," replied Aisha with a tilt of her head.

"Right. The one act of decency...amongst the many..." Aisha cut him off with a small laugh. 

"No. it's alright. You have been good until..." and then he cut her off. 

"Until I yelled at you for something long in the past and for ..." he trailed off.

"And now you have apologized. And anyway it really was all a misunderstanding," said Aisha handing him the papers still in her hand. 

Gabriel gently took them from her.

"In any case, I hope you and I can work together in peace," he said giving her a smile, willing to bury their past if that's what she wanted.

For a second Aisha was caught off guard by the sincerity of it and the warmth that seemed to beam from his eyes. She found an answering smile on her own lips. 

"I would like that," she replied.

"I believe you're meeting with my grandma today, right?" asked Gabriel moving toward his office.

"Yes... at 12, I'm a little nervous," said Aisha honestly a worried frown creasing her face.

"Don't be...as long as your not me, my grandma will be kind and gentle," he chuckled pausing at his door and leaning against the door frame.

"You don't get along?" asked Aisha walking around to sit behind her desk. 

"It's not that...I think she enjoys giving me a hard time...its how she has always been," he shrugged. 

"She kind of sounds like my great aunt," chuckled Aisha, and then she paused feeling self-conscious. 

Gabriel cleared his throat seeming to sense the shift in her emotions. 

"You can leave early to meet with her, I don't need much today, and Sebastian will be out most of the day," he said straightening out from his relaxed posture. 

"What about lunch? would you like me to order something for you?" asked Aisha taken aback a bit.

"No, that's alright, Lulu is coming to have lunch with me, she said she will make sandwiches," he said with another rare smile. 

"Oh...ok," replied Aisha unsure. 

He gave her a nod and turned to his door and paused for a second before he turned his head back slightly. 

"For the record...you were right...your statements...five years ago on the radio," he paused explaining seeing the confused look on Aisha's face.

She looked at him in shock, her eyes wide with surprise. He fought the urge to chuckle at how cute her expression was. Instead, he smiled again, something he was finding easy to do around her. 

"I don't mind admitting and apologizing when I'm wrong...it might take me some time to get there...but I do eventually get there," he said sincerely.

Aisha continued to stare at him with a dumbfounded look on her face. She was truly at a loss for words. 

He turned again and then paused once more.

"I had issued an apology statement a few months after the show...but I can't say I had truly meant it...until now," he said gently and this time he entered his office without any other word. 

Aisha stared after him for a few seconds before she began to search the internet for the apology statement. It took her a few minutes, but she finally found. 

 I would like to apologize to all the women I have hurt. I have recently made unnecessary and insensitive statements regarding Muslim women. Though my words reflected heavily on my own personal life, it is in no way a reason to generalize Muslim women in such a way. I will work hard to change my biases and twisted judgment of Muslim women. 

Aisha stared at the statement. He hadn't meant these words...until now. What had changed his mind, she wondered?  It couldn't have been her. Since he had been nothing but rude to her...until now. Aisha shook her head focusing back on her work. It was time she pushed Gabriel and his confusing behavior from her mind, until later when she can dissect it with Jasmine. 

She looked up to see what he was doing, only to catch him staring at her. She quickly glanced away feeling embarrassed and looked at the clock. It was 11:45, a perfect time to escape from the awkward tension that was trying to cling to her. As if chased by a wild beast she quickly grabbed her bag, motioned to Gabriel that she was leaving and made a dash for the elevator. She didn't catch the unguarded look that passed over Gabriel as he watched her leave.

Neither knew at that moment what had changed in their relationship, but they both knew a shift had taken place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About fifteen minutes later, Aisha parked in the Italian restaurant's parking that Meredith had sent her. 

She was both nervous and anxious for this meeting to take place. She needed to feel a bit more secure in her ability to win against her uncle. She knew what a snake her uncle was and that to get his way he wouldn't stop at anything. But she couldn't play dirty like him, it wasn't in her nature. 

She pushed up the glass door and looked around trying to see if Meredith was already here. A hostess walked up to her with long red hair in a single braid.

"Hello, welcome to Nova," she said with a bright smile.

"Um...I have a reservation," said Aisha hesitating, Meredith had made the arrangments. She looked around the fancy building, feeling slightly out of place. 

"Certainly, under what name?" asked the young woman.

"Oh...um I think Mathews, Meredith Mathews," said Aisha feeling underdressed in her simple black abaya and light green hijab. 

"Let me see...yes, she is waiting for you, please follow me," said the hostess grabbing a menu and leading the way. 

Aisha followed her unable to help herself from glancing at the well-dressed men and women around her. 

"Here we are," she said moving aside for Aisha to take a seat. 

Aisha glanced at the older nicely dressed woman sitting down, her pepper hair was pulled in a low bun, deep golden eyes looked up at Aisha, framed wonderfully by a pair of red glasses. She gave Aisha a warm smile that reached her eyes.

"You're your mother's exact image...but with your father's eyes," she said gently reaching over the table to give Aisha a warm hug. 

"Thank you," said Aisha returning the greeting and taking her seat across from Meredith. 

"The last time I saw you, you were a small eight-year-old, I don't think you remember it though," said Meredith with a smile. 

"Mom used to drag me to all her cases, I think she hoped it would make me follow in her footsteps," said Aisha with a small smile. 

"And that didn't happen?" asked Meredith with a raised eyebrow.

"No, I fell in love with design and architecture, to her small disappointment, although now, I kind of wish I had learned law," sighed Aisha taking a sip of her water.

"I'm sure she was proud of you either way," smiled Meredith

Aisha nodded her head.

"You're taking a break from school?" asked Meredith with a tilt of her head.

Aisha nodded.

"A two-year break, including this year," said Aisha as she ran her eyes along the menu choices. 

"That's a big break," said Meredith.

"It was supposed to be a gap year, but then the accident happened, and I can't think of going back to school, right now, more than ever," sighed Aisha placing her menu down gently.

"That makes sense, but I wouldn't worry too much about your uncle," said Meredith, her words beginning to melt Aisha's worries.

" I did some digging around, and this case will be in your favor. Sure you may be young, but after a few conversations with your family lawyer, it's clear why your uncle wants to muscle his way in. He doesn't have a very strong case, which means that they will try to shed light on your supposed "incompetence" as a guardian, and why he as a "father" will be a better fit for the kids, so will have to flip the script on him," shrugged Meredith using air quotes to emphasize her points.  

"So I have a chance of winning?" asked Aisha hope clear in her voice.

"Oh a very strong chance...of course... it'll be hard, but not impossible," smiled Meredith drawing a relief laugh from Aisha.

"Alhamdulillah," smiled Aisha as their waiter came to take their order. 

"I have already started digging around, I hope you don't mind," said Meredith taking out some papers.

"Not at all," said Aisha.

"I need you to be willing, to be honest with me, the more honest you are, the better chance we have of winning," she said flipping open one of the folders.

"Of course," nodded Aisha in understanding.

"I have some paperwork that I need you to fill out, nothing too intense, but just to built my understanding of your situation," said Meredith sliding over one of the folders.

"No problem...so does this mean your taking on the case?" asked Aisha unable to believe it. 

"Of course darling, there is no way I would refuse, as long as you don't mind this old woman representing you in court," smiled Meredith. 

"I would love for you to represent me," replied Aisha feeling tears gather in her eyes. 

"It's the least I could do for you and your siblings. Your mother was very important to me, and hearing the news of her passing deeply saddened my heart," said Meredith reaching over the table to squeeze Aisha's hand. 

"What can I get for you beautiful ladies?" said the waiter, he was a tall man with wavy blonde hair and clear blue eyes. His eyes lingered on Aisha, as she glanced at the menu one more time. 

Aisha didn't seem to notice as she tried to hide her tear-filled eyes.

"I'll have the Penne all' arrabbiata and lemon water, please," said Aisha closing the menu and handing it to him.

Meredith gave the young man a smile handing him her menu as well. 

"I'll have the Mushroom risotto and sparkling water," she said. 

The man nodded.

"Will that be all?" he asked giving Aisha one more glance.

She looked back at him and nodded her head. 

"That will be all for me," she said glancing down to check her phone. 

"What a cute boy," said Meredith drawing Aisha's eyes back to her.

"Sure," she said still a bit shaken by Meredith's generosity. 

"He seemed interested in you," Meredith said with a knowing smile, wanting to lighten the mood.

"Why would you think that?" asked Aisha with a small laugh.

"The way he looked at you. Are you in a relationship?" she asked tilting her head to the side. 

"No, I'm not," feeling slightly awkward by the question, after all this was her boss's grandma. There had to be some kind of code she was breaking, Aisha thought to herself. 

"I'm surprised, what is wrong with the men around you? None of them has approached you, not even my grandsons," she asked causing Aisha to cough in surprise. 

"No...they have not," she exclaimed regaining her voice. 

Meredith shook her head.

"What a shame, I thought I taught them better," she sighed 

"No, no...it's fine. I rather like it this way," said Aisha adamantly.

"What way?" asked Meredith with a raised eyebrow. 

"To be lonely? I can't say life is great that way...it's better to date and be in a relationship. Gives life a bit more flavor. I'm not someone who believes you need a man to survive, but I do believe one needs love to live life to the fullest, why else did God create so many people?" she shrugged.

"I'm not opposed to a relationship or even love. It's just the right man hasn't come along and I'm not in any rush for a relationship right now...I'm more worried about my siblings at the moment," said Aisha.

"Maybe, but that shouldn't stop you. Between me and Justine, I'm sure we kind find a good man to take your mind off things," said Meredith with a giggle.

"Oh no...I'm quite alright..." began Aisha but Meredith dismissed it with a wave of her hand.

"Indulge an old lady, let's hear your ideal man?" asked Meredith.

Aisha stared at her in shock. She had come here to discuss the case, and now here she was being asked about her ideal type. 

"I don't think..." began Aisha.

"Come on dear, just until the food arrives, what kind of man can I interest you in, I do have more grandsons, Gabriel and Sebastian aren't the only ones," she said with a chuckle. 

"I don't have an ideal type," said Aisha finding the tablecloth more interesting than looking at Meredith. 

"Nonsense, I won't rest until I hear it," she smiled wanting to tease the young lady in front of her. 

Aisha sighed a crestfallen expression on her face. 

"I guess a family man," said Aisha 

Meredith raised her eyebrow as if to say you have to do better than that. 

"Looks to me arent an important factor, except that he should be taller than me, and healthy. But, I like a man with a good character. Someone who is kind and generous to those around him. Someone I can find comfort in and feel at ease. Someone who admits his wrongs and is aware of his vices and doesn't try to be what he isn't, and of course Muslim," said Aisha realizing that might be important to mention since Meredith kept mentioning her grandsons. 

"You are an old soul," chuckled Meredith.

"My mother used to say that," said Aisha leaning back in her seat, feeling the tension leave her body. 

"Hmmm, setting you up with someone might be a bit more difficult, I can't say I know many young Muslim men in the neighborhood," chuckled Meredith causing Aisha to giggle. 

"I suppose you'll have to give up then," replied Aisha with a laugh. 

"I'm a stubborn old lady, if I can't find one, I'll have to convert Gabriel for you," said Meredith trying to see what kind of reaction Aisha would have. 

This caused Aisha to throw her head back and laugh.

"I don't think that will be possible. Your grandson doesn't favor Muslim women," she said with a smile.

Which was true, just because he had been kind and decided to bury the hatchet, it didn't mean he was ready to embrace Muslim women. Aisha shook her head again with another laugh. 

"I wouldn't be so sure," replied Meredith, after all, it was a Muslim woman he had wanted to help and protect, but she kept this thought to herself. 

"Is it religiously required that you marry a Muslim...what if you don't?" she asked leaning back in her seat as well. 

"It is, but I have heard of women who married outside the religion. I don't think I could personally do that, I wouldn't want confusion for my future kids," said Aisha with a shrug.

"But having different religious values would mean your raising kids who would be respectful of all different viewpoints," reasoned Meredith.

"I can still do that with a man who has the same values as me. That depends more on parenting style than on religious viewpoints," reasoned Aisha. 

"Fair enough, so then have you never been in a relationship, you didn't date in high school?" asked Meredith.

"No I didn't, but I have been in a serious relationship before, I was engaged once," said Aisha. 

"Ahhhh, I see, what went wrong?" asked Meredith.

"Nothing really, he wasn't a bad guy...I just realized I wasn't really in love with him, he was a safe choice," shrugged Aisha.

"So you like a man with a bit of edge, huh? Gabriel is sounding like a great choice for you if you would reconsider," said Meredith causing Aisha to laugh again. 

"No thank you," chuckled Aisha as their waiter brought their order to them. 

"You just need to get to know him more," said Meredith taking a spoonful of her food.

"I'm not sure I want to," said Aisha honestly causing Meredith to raise her eyebrow. 

"I'd like to keep my personal life separate from my professional," said Aisha firmly.

"I have a simple solution to that," said Meredith with a scheming smile.

"Really? and what would that be?" asked Aisha with a chuckle. 

"Quit, that way, your personal and professional will remain separate, very very separate," laughed Meredith. 

Aisha joined in on her laughter.

"I don't think so," she said shaking her head and eating her food. 

"You never know, keep an open mind," winked Meredith.

Meredith's mind began to turn, the gears in her head beginning to plan an intervention in her young wayward grandson's life.  As she looked at the beautiful young woman in front of her, she could feel it in her heart that she would be a perfect fit for Gabriel. All she had to do was convince them, which might not be so hard for Gabriel, the fool was already halfway there, she chuckled to herself. Maybe a family lunch should take place soon, and she will conveniently find a way to bring Aisha to it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.8K 5.7K 49
The things I knew that were once unethical, were bound to be saintly. The dreams I dreamt once upon a time, seemed to be an epitome of nightmares. Th...
485K 9.6K 13
*Highest Ranking #2 on What's Hot list- Spiritual* #1 in Hausa. #1 in Deen. #1 in MuslimRomance #1 in ProjectNigeria. Imagine being in a type of hou...
16.7K 1.9K 42
Aisha Hidaya Mu'az Ardo, a young lady in her early 20s living as an independent woman. Not only was she independent but she had responsiblities, she...
3.8K 151 15
What if the love of your life doesn't love you anymore? This is the situation 22-year old Ihsan finds herself in, when her husband fills the divorce...