Second Snapshot (Picture This...

By thesamemistakes

-COMPLETED -BK 3 IN PROGRESS- Business. It's all about business now. Nobody should give a single damn about l... More

-Second Snapshot (-Picture This Sequel)
-Guns, filling in and encounters. [Chapter 1]
-Stupid, crazy, messed up little love life. [Chapter 2]
-Nobody said it was easy...[Chapter 3]
-An un-wanted exit never goes to plan. [Chapter 4]
-Let's argue over breakfast. [Chapter 5]
-Rain, protein and accusations. [Chapter 6]
-You can run, but you can't hide from fate. [Chapter 7]
-Just Listen. [Chapter 8]
-New Surroundings. [Chapter 9]
-Summer nights and fun fair lights. [Chapter 10]
-Pushing it too far. [Chapter 11]
-We need to talk. [Chapter 12]
-Looks can be deceiving. [Chapter 13]
-Innovation and Realization. [Chapter 14]
-Don't be nice. [Chapter 15]
-Concealing the forbidden. [Chapter 16]
-Confrontation and late nights. [Chapter 17]
-Mysteries, strangers and suspicions. [Chapter 18]
-Broken family and phone calls. [Chapter 19]
-Operation Commence. [Chapter 20]
-Just label me. [Chapter 21]
-Force yourself through, just keep on running. [Chapter 22]
-Un-reserved regret, concern and traumatised hope. [Chapter 23]
-Feel the first time, but never let go. [Chapter 24]
-The world can be anything you want it to be. [Chapter 25]
-Promise me. [Chapter 26]
-Golden keys and black deaths. [Chapter 27]
-You're obsessed. [Chapter 28]
-Expose yourself in picture. [Chapter 30]
-Sabotage me. [Chapter 31]
-Fake a friendship, it's worth more than a real one. [Chapter 32]
-Overrated fears. [Chapter 33]
-Don't ever come back. [Chapter 34]
-Unwrapping Happiness. [Chapter 35]
-Teach me. [Chapter 36]
-Even when you think you are, you're never alone. [Chapter 37]
-Family feuds and suspicious sisters. [Chapter 38]
-You can take my breath away. [Chapter 39]
-Intoxication & Secrets. [Chaoter 40]
-These four words. [Chapter 41]
-Confessional blood. [Chapter 42]
-Cupcake catastrophes. [Chapter 43]
-Redheaded rumours. [Chapter 44]
-Just be honest. [Chapter 45]
-Confess me. [Chapter 46]
-Fixing the broken pieces. [Chapter 47]
-Change. [Chapter 48]
-New beginnings. [Chapter 49]
-Lifting the curtain on reality; it's the best way forward. [Chapter 50]
-Uncounted for visits and progress. [Chapter 51]
-Mr Sarcastic. [Chapter 52]
-Petty little crushes. [Chapter 53]
-Detached memories. [Chapter 54]
-Discover your weakness. [Chapter 55]
-Refusal and broken hope. [Chapter 56]
-Catch me out. [Chapter 57]
-Regulating the silent treatment. [Chapter 58]
-I don't. [Chapter 59]
-Hollow secrets & bleak mornings. [Chapter 60]
-You're fired. [Chapter 61]
-Audible, unwanted, remarks. [Chapter 62]
-Vexatious encounters. [Chapter 63]
-Mysterious Perfection. [Chapter 64]
-Trilogy Information.

-Surprises & Sinking ships. [Chapter 29]

76.2K 545 138
By thesamemistakes

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE- Surprises & Sinking ships.

“So you really think you’re ready for this Ashley? It is a big step and I’m weary about letting you take it, I mean, on your own?”

Anne questioned tapping her pen against the pine desk that was cluttered with, well I didn’t really know what it was, but it was always cluttered with something. The therapy sessions had got slightly better since the first one, as I got to know her more I concluded that she was, indeed, mad but it wasn’t anything extreme. Or at least it wasn’t yet, the few ‘projects’ I’d been assigned to do that were supposed to help me had been vaguely reasonable and so far there had been no mentions of fire which, is always good. This was not to say I looked forward to my twice a week sessions, yes, twice a week, it had been reduced down from every day after I began to put on a few pounds, little by little things may have started to get better. Although, it has only been a little over a month or so of course I am by no means cured but sometimes it’s nice to have some progress. To have it in black and white that you’ve got somewhere, even slowly, I’ve still got somewhere even if it has taken a long time for this short and stout amount of progress but it’s better than nothing. And at least now I’m going forwards, and not backwards.

Nodding I forced a small smile. I never said I liked Anne, but maybe now my dislike has degraded slightly, but by no means am I going to say I like her. She’s my therapist.

“Yeah. I really feel like I need a change of scene really. I mean it’s been nice to have some time off to really think things through and reconsider my life and all but now that Niall’s busier I’m finding myself at a bit of an end really. I don’t like not having anything to do.”

She folded her hands in her lap and then nodding she held up one finger signalling that she was going to be one second as she turned around and slid a drawer open, bringing out a red comb she pulled it through her fringe and then turned back around as if none of this had happened. She does that.

“Right, I understand. But I hope you’re not letting Niall’s lifestyle influence your choices in your therapy though. You have to understand that moving back to America is a huge step for you Ashley. That’ll mean no therapy and I will have to put a huge amount of trust into you for this.”

Oh the shame.

“No, this is purely my decision. Besides it’s been almost three months and I really want to get a few weeks of work in before Christmas.”

“Right, if you’re sure. And what are you plans for Christmas?”

As she asked this I realised I actually had no clue. I guess I’d been busy lately with trying to work from home and fitting in time to see Niall as any free time he had at the moment was rare and precious so I always dropped everything I was doing to do with work to spend a bit of time with him because it was important. He’s been really busy lately which has meant I’ve found myself occupying myself even further into working from home to fill up all the free time I have without him there. Most of the time he’s still in Britain and a few times I’ve ‘secretly’ been with him, watching from a seat near the back or something. Immaculately after over four months we’ve still managed to keep our relationship a secret from pretty much everyone. And that includes my parents. Which has really surprised me as my Mother has been so on my back lately about well…everything. I suppose it goes without saying that our relationship has only worsened since I was hospitalised that day and put onto this strict therapy plan. My absence from home when I’ve been with Niall has been fairly easy to conceal although now she’s beginning to get suspicious I’m not too worried as at the moment Niall and I are very stable and it almost feels like last year again. I suppose I could just say that the other boys always have a lot to tease us about, but what do they expect when we don’t see a lot of each other at the moment?

“I’m not sure. I’ve not made any yet but I expect I’ll be with Niall at some point so that probably means coming back to England but I’m not sure yet. There’s still a bit of time anyway.”

“And you’re not planning on being with family?

Honestly, no. Not if I can help it.

“I’m not really sure what’s going on right now. My parents and I aren’t exactly on frequent speaking terms.”

“I thought you were staying there now?”

She queried looking rather confused. This was true, what with Niall being away so much I was staying back home at the moment but that didn’t mean I spent a lot of time with them. I timed myself well, showering over dinner and studying with my door locked when they returned home from work. And on days off they had I’d be with Mallory or I’d just have a day to myself.

“Oh I am but they’re both really busy with work and I’m busy with work and stuff so.”

“Right, I understand. I do think things would be a lot easier if you tried to spark up a better relationship with them though Ashley…”

“Oh no everything’s fine just the way it is. I don’t need anything more than what I’ve got.”

Which was true, I had Niall which was the one person I just really needed the most and I had Mallory when she wasn’t doing something else with a new job or whatever and over the phone and sometimes Skype I had Justin back in America. And of course I had the other boys as well and that was really all I needed. My sister and I were also on good terms although she’d been busy lately too, but that was different I suppose, she was my sister, we kind of had to be on half decent terms.

“Right, well if you’re really sure that’s how you want to run things…I suppose I’ll be seeing you before Christmas I assume? And I expect to hear all about what’s been going on with you in the meantime, okay?”

“Sure,” I said already beginning to get up and out of my chair. “Before Christmas.”

“Very well have a nice time Ashley and I’ll be expecting those essays done by the time you get back. Okay?”

“Uh huh, see you.”

I said giving a small wave and smile which she returned opening the door for me and motioning for me to leave which I gladly, did.

Walking through the reception now with the hour I had spent inside of Anne Bell’s office the clouds had become thicker outside and the air became even colder and denser hitting me as the automatic doors simultaneously slid open and I entered the car-park searching the roofs for my car. But as my eyes fell upon it I was purely astounded as to who was leaning against it smiling at me as he pushed himself up and began walking towards me. Rushing forwards I instantly let myself be engulfed in his arms breathing in his scent.

“Niall!” I exclaimed giggling as we hugged. “What are you doing here? I thought you were in Wales today?”

“I was, this morning. Isn’t it clear what I’m doing here? I’m here to see you…You’re going to America tomorrow love did you really think I was going to let you go without a proper, lengthy goodbye?”

He chuckled dropping a feathery kiss onto my forehead. The feel of his lips against my skin felt good as a major understatement. It had been almost a month since we’d spent some real time together.

“I don’t know. I’m just really glad you’re here. I’ve missed you.”

“Me too, and I’ve missed you a lot too. So what are you doing this evening?”

He questioned still hugging me and pressing kisses to my forehead and temple. Turning slightly I gazed up at him still beaming like a complete idiot, but I was just glad to have him with me again I suppose.

“Well, I was going shopping but now I’m spending time with you which is a lot better.”

He smiled even more at this brushing some hair from my eyes with his thumb and leaning down closer to me resting his forehead on mine.

“I’m glad to hear it…What time is your flight tomorrow?”

“Eight, I’m leaving at six.”

Niall nodded chewing on his lower lip and furrowing his brow clearly thinking about something. He looked back to me a small smile quirking at the corner of his lips.

“Stay with me tonight? Pleeease.”

That did sound a lot more inviting than going home and spending the night dealing with my Mother’s constant naggings and telling’s of how I needed to sort myself out before I went back into work.

“Okay,” I gave in and he grinned. “My Mum will have to shove it if she wants me to stay at home.”

“They still don’t know?”

He asked furrowing his brow as if this was surprising. When important, I was good at keeping secrets from my parents, even more so when we hardly ever spoke, making any absences I held with being in the household so much easier to conceal. Maybe I did take after my Mother slightly, always so easy and quick to conceal things because it was easier than dealing with the inconvenience of the un-reserved truth.

“Nope.”

I concluded popping the p, he smiled but it was a smaller one this time. Less convinced less enthusiastic.

“When are you gonna tell them?”

I shrugged.

“When it’s necessary I suppose.”

“And that’s when?”

“I guess when everyone else finds out.”

There seemed to be something Niall wanted to say but didn’t. Something he wanted or needed to tell me but held back. I hated it when I got that sense that there was something that he wasn’t telling me, hated it. I suppose sometimes it’s for the best but I’m a curious person, I like to know I suppose. I just like to know what’s going on, where I stand; I hate missing puzzle pieces, complete the puzzle or don’t bother at all.

“Fair enough. Now do you wanna take your car back first or…”

“Well that depends, are we going back to the house or not?”

“Well that also depends, would you like to?”

Smiling I leant my forehead further onto his as he inched his lips slowly closer and as he did so I felt my heart speed up again. It had been way too long and now that he was here, holding me, talking to me, just being with me, I had a strong craving to kiss him and right now that he was finally here I realised just how much I had missed him.

“Yes.”

I replied but his lips were already descending onto mine each second slipping away as easiest as the last as I melted into the kiss, closing my eyes I secured my arms around his neck as I stood up on my tip-toes and he tightened his around my waist pulling me close to him. As his lips moved against mine I suddenly felt a lump rising in my throat. I didn’t know what this was or why but as my heart beat quickened and I felt that sudden rush of warmth amerce my whole body flooding my veins with some form of liquid happiness that I got drunk off of straight away, like getting drunk off of him, off of love, off of happiness. I then knew that it was happy tears brewing inside of me, just the sheer thought of having him back with me even for only just a few hours or so it was purely a blessing. Suddenly I found myself craving to cancel my flight tomorrow, cancel going back to work and moving back in, in New York and to just stay in England with him but I knew I couldn’t do that. I was expected back at work by the day after tomorrow and everything was sorted out. It was a choice, of course it was nobody was forcing me to go with the challenged of death or anything but it was one of those things you just sort of had to do. Besides, I couldn’t keep on missing work forever.

“How about this…” He breathed tracing his fingers along my jawline and resting them underneath my chin. “We just stay in tonight and then, maybe go for a walk later or something?”

“Sounds like a plan to me…”

I replied smiling up at him as he pressed his lips back to mine for a few seconds.

“Come on then Mr full of surprises, let’s go.”

I grinned tugging at his hand as I unlocked my car and motioned for him to get in.

“Now,” I said pushing the packet of tissues further into the cup holder. “Rules for the car.”

Niall sighed inwardly rolling his eyes as he tipped his head back.

“Not this again.”

He chuckled and I nodded remaining completely serious.

“Yes, this again. No eating in the car-“

“Well it’s a good job I don’t have any food then.”

He cut in and I shot him a look.

“Yes, yes it is.”

“You cannot distract me while I’m driving, okay? Especially at roundabouts. Fucking confusing things they are.”

“I swear there aren’t even any roundabouts the way you go.”

“That’s not the point.”

“Right, sorry. Carry on.”

Sighing I smoothed my hands over the cool leather and fiddled with the knobs to adjust the temperature turning it up a fraction.

“Don’t touch the windows. There is nothing worse than dirty fingerprints on windows, got it?”

“You know I’m really surprised that you don’t have a full on cleaning kit with chemicals and all underneath your seat or something.”

“Shut up.”

“Sorry babe.”

He chuckled and I rolled my eyes playfully.

“Right and finally do not. And I mean do not, tell me that I should have switched lanes then, or not let that person in or anything, okay? I’m particular about the way I drive, alright?”

“Right.” He said giving a curt nod. “Can we go now?”

Giving him a tired look I pulled on my seatbelt and adjusted the gears for before curling my fingers over the hand break and rolling it into reverse.

“I don’t see how you can drive with no music on.”

He commented about five minutes later.

“Put the radio on if you must.”

I responded dismissively just really to get him to shut up as I needed to concentrate. I hardly ever have other people in my car for a very good reason, it’s better for me to drive alone, nobody to criticise, nobody to distract, just easier.

“Oh, I was hoping you could sing for me.”

He frowned a teasing smile playing on his lips and I refrained an eye-roll.

“Shut up Niall…I’m driving.”

He just smirked as he leant forward in his seat pressing buttons until the word T U N E R came up in block print on the screen and he skipped through the numbers until it found the local radio station.

“Hey Ash…”

“What?”

I snapped glad that a bit of straight road was apparent but due to the gridlock on the road we were supposed to take I had taken a different route meaning a series of roundabouts were coming up, soon.

“You look sexy when you’re driving.”

He commented chuckling lightly at his own remark.

“Niall I am not joking I will stop and you can get out and sit in the back.”

“Ooooh scared.”

He cooed and I rolled my eyes as we came up to the roundabout.

“Right I’m not being funny now you have to shut up cus I need to concentrate.”

He just smiled leaning back into his seat and smirking at me mischievously and I felt his eyes travel my body before settling back on me. I was convinced he was doing this on purpose. As all the cars began to move I flicked off my right indicator as I pulled out of the lane I was in and rounded two exits before taking the third down another quite lane.

“Where are the boys tonight?”

I asked content that there was nothing that required my full concentration for now.

“Oh so you’re talking now? I thought you were concentrating?”

He teased. When I didn’t say anything he continued.

“They’re still in Wales.”

“Wait so you came here on your own?”

I questioned furrowing my brow and he shrugged.

“No, I’m here with you aren’t I?”

“You know what I mean.”

I sighed dismissively and he smirked.

“Well the train is actually quite fun on your own, I mean, now I know I can stand up for even longer periods of time then I thought I could.”

At this point I slipped my gaze to him giving him a pointed look of both confusion and slight amusement.

“The train is not fun on your own. I would know.”

I raised my eye-brows but he still seemed to find this pretty amusing, but what didn’t he find amusing?

“Nah it’s alright.”

“So what are you doing tomorrow?”

I questioned leaning forward in my seat as I flicked on my left indicator and headed down another narrow lane.

“Coming to the airport with you and then-“

“Wait Niall you can’t come to the airport with me?”

“Why not?”

“Because do you know how many paps are gonna be there?”

I questioned a slight urgency in my tone. It was not that I wouldn’t love him to come to the airport with me so we could say goodbye properly but there was no way we’d be able to without getting noticed. Everyone knew I was flying back out tomorrow so there would no doubt be paps there. Whether I had anyone to say goodbye to or not was irrelevant, they just liked pictures, for some reason. He knew we couldn’t get pictured.

Sighing he tipped his head back and began tugging at the hem of his t-shirt.

“I’m so fed up of this you know? It’s not fair. I don’t see why everyone has such a problem.”

“Yeah…Well I guess nothing is fair.”

I shrugged swerving to miss a gormless pheasant hopping across the road. Blasted birds.

“Not anymore.”

Niall mumbled and I frowned. I guess he was really feeling the impact of having the media on our case all the time too, and it wasn’t nice. Sometimes I just get the feeling that maybe it’d be easier if everyone just knew, sure the hate I would get would probably have a prominent effect on me but at least then everything wouldn’t have to be done behind closed doors and we could just go out like we used to and do what we wanted. I wasn’t asking for a free for all and for us never to be disturbed wherever we went or with whatever we did because I knew that’d never happen. It’s just not feasible because of who Niall is and who I am now, not that I can say I like indulging in any type of fame, but maybe things would just go a lot smoother if people did know.

When I didn’t say anything back instantly, honestly because I didn’t know what to say we knew this was a subject we didn’t like, he decided to continue with venting his anger towards the situation.

“I mean it’s so fucking ridiculous how I can’t take out to a nice restaurant, I can’t take you out for a take-away, I can’t take you to the cinema and I just can’t take you anywhere because then everyone would start acting like it was World War Three kicking off or something.”

For a moment after he finished this fresh pound of frustration there was complete silence the only sound being the radio fizzing and crackling out as we were obviously in a no-signal zone. I bit my lip, hard. I was about to open my mouth to reply with some kind of witty comment that somehow told him to calm down and look on the bright side but this chain of thought was interrupted as the radio came back with a loud burst of noise and began blaring out the top 40.

“Well maybe,” I began my reasoning and he raised his eye-brows waiting for me to continue but then I realised that I didn’t know what exactly I was going to continue with. “Err maybe; it won’t be like this forever.”

“It won’t be.” He mumbled. “Nobody is ruining any of it again, regardless of whether they know or not.”

At this point we came back onto a main road and I could see the roundabout at the end.

“So guess what?”

I piped up drumming my fingers against the hot leather of the steering wheel. Seeing as the lane I was in leading up to the roundabout was completely gridlocked too I decided that now would be a good time for conversation to veer away from the previous topic.

“What’s that?”

He replied sounding an octave cheerier now, but the frustration was still lurking in his tone.

“I’ve got more leave then usual after Christmas.”

We lurched slowly forward by a small amount, but the amount of cars in front of us was still painstakingly slow.

“You have? That’s great. What about summer?”

I winced slightly at this. Summer at ColorfulSecrets&Co was the busiest time of year, even more than Christmas. The summer sale always caused a lot of havoc and suppliers always wanted a completely new collection, which meant new everything. New promotions, new advertisement, new designers and designs, new magazine spreads, photo shoots, everything.

“I’m-I’m not sure yet. I think I’m working for the majority of it, I mean summer’s a really busy time and-“

“It’s okay, I get it….I-I suppose we’ll be working a bit as well…It’d just be nice to have you in England though, even for a little while.”

We moved forward a few more spaces and now there was roughly fifteen cars ahead of us.

“Well I guess I’ll look at the calendar when I go back, I’ll try and come back here a few times I suppose, it’s just a really busy time and all.”

“I understand, you are the manager.”

He smiled placing a hand on my knee he let it slip to my thigh tracing the inside briefly before slipping back to my knee and giving it a soothing rub.

“Yeah well sometimes I wish I wasn’t.”

By now we were almost there and I could see the trees spurting up from the roundabout in between many plants and flowers conveying an array of colours in the middle.

“Why?”

He questioned placing his hand over mine which was on the hand break. I felt my skin tingle with his touch and I had to refrain from beaming like an idiot as he continued to stare at me with such intensity just for my answer to his question that wasn’t of a particularly interesting conversation.

“I don’t know, it just gets a lot sometimes, having everyone depending on you.”

“I thought you liked being in control?”

“I do, it’s just, it’s not always that simple to be in control. People depend on me as much as I depend on them.”

“Well,” He said making me upturn my palm to give it an assuring squeeze. “Elise said you’re a great manager. Really organised, I don’t find that hard to believe.”

“Yeah well Elise has a lot of ways of making things seem better than they are.”

I shrugged now pulling back into gear as all the traffic began to move again and I cut into the first exit now five minutes away from the house, thank god.

“Or, maybe you’re just too modest.”

At this point I was about to open my mouth to reply but I ended having to slam my foot down onto the breaks as a red Range Rover pulled out of a side road right in front of me.

“Fucking idiot!”

I cursed pounding the horn in anger.

“Love calm down,” Niall mused placing his hand back onto my knee. “Maybe they didn’t see you.”

“Didn’t see me?! Everyone knows you look both ways before you pull out of a side road. Did they want to have a collision?”

I couldn’t help but notice now that they had pulled out they had slowed down considerably as if waiting for me to catch up as I just sat there attempting to recover.

“I don’t know. Just don’t take it out on the car…”

I slid my gaze to him at this point licking my lower lip once.

“You know, sometimes, I think you like my car more than me.”

I hissed and he shrugged giving me an innocent smile.

“Maybe…But I like you more than your car that’s for sure.”

He smirked leaning closer to me and letting his finger trace along my jaw and rest underneath my chin.

“Wow that what cheesy.”

I murmured but his lips were already on mine kissing me softly. I think this was just to distract me from my recent outburst of road rage but it was amazing all the same, just the same as the next and the previous and all the ones before and after. When we pulled away I looked up to see that the Range Rover had stopped now around fifty metres up the road and the window was down and an arm was hanging out of it tapping ashes from a cigar away onto the ground.

“Well I’m glad to see pulling out on me in such a rush got them very far.”

I grumbled adjusting my rear view mirror.

“People are stupid when it comes to driving. Especially Range Rover drivers.”

Niall commented screwing his nose up.

“I swear Harry drives a Range Rover…”

“Exactly.”

Niall nodded curtly and I smiled letting a small giggle escape my lips.

“Awh you’re so nice.”

I cooed sarcastically and he smirked.

“Harry loves it really.”

He shrugged dismissively and I just smiled as he pressed his lips back to mine.

-

As soon as we got underneath the porch not even past the threshold yet Niall slammed his lips to mine pushing me up against the brick wall. I still had my car keys dangling from my index finger which I was slowly trying to pry into my pocket but it wasn’t going down very well. Suddenly all the times we had stood here and did the same thing last year began resonating through my mind, evening, early hours of the morning, midday, anytime. I couldn’t supress the smile that accompanied the thought of the amount of times one of the boys had flung the door open on us forcing us apart and inside. Since I was smiling so much I had to pull away letting a small giggle bubble out of my lips as I finally managed to shove my car keys into my pocket.

It was that strange time of twilight in between the sunset and darkness and the air was hastily darkening but the sun was peeking through the clouds every so often giving it that kind of milky twilight feel and as Niall fumbled with his key in the door and it flung open the windows all had that orangey light bursting through and casting strange shapes out across the carpet.

“Wait a minute…”

I breathed retreating from the kiss I was about to re-enter and cracking open the front door again and peering outside and sure enough it was there, parked only about ten metres up from my car.

“What?”

Niall questioned pulling me instantly back into him and pulling my body tight against his so there was virtually no space between us.

“That car’s still there, the one who pulled out on me.”

Niall furrowed his brow giving me a questioning look as if I should know why, when really, I had no idea.

“It’s probably just coincidence. But still, with what happened the other month, you can never be too careful…Give me your keys.”

He instructed now letting me go and I stood a little further back from him, but just a little.

“What? Niall why? You can’t drive.

I questioned and he gave me a sheepish sarcastic smile.

“Just because I haven’t passed my test yet it doesn’t mean I can’t drive Ashley, I’ve had like a million lessons. I’m just gonna move it into the driveway so I can see who it is, because if it’s paps, then you can’t.”

I rolled my eyes playfully reluctantly prying my keys from my pocket and dropping them into his palm. He smiled planting a kiss onto my forehead before tossing the keys into the air and catching them again. It’s surreal how much a feeling of ‘swag’ he puts on when he’s in the possession of some car keys.

He disappeared behind the hedge for a few seconds and then I heard the sound of the engine starting up as he rolled it into the driveway parking it about halfway up and then cut the engine off smiling proud with himself as he slammed the door behind him locking the car and waiting for the lights to flash as a signal of security.

“See? Did you see that skill?”

He grinned pulling the door shut behind him and instantly pulling me to him.

“Yeah, wonderful. Now who was it?”

“Oh yeah…There was nobody in there. It was probably just coincidence.”

He mused shrugging as he pressed his lips to mine but I pulled away after a few seconds giving him a stern look.

“Nothing’s just coincidence anymore Niall, you know that.”

I concerned placing a hand on his chest as I gazed up at him. Nobody said it was easy.

“Well, I don’t know Ash. We can’t exactly confront right now. I promise nothing’s gonna happen, I won’t let it. Now you wanna order a takeaway or something or are you still having your food cus that’s fine if you are-“

“No, takeaway sounds good.”

I agreed and he just looked at me for a moment a little bit surprised that I was agreeing to a takeaway but then he managed a nod and a smile quirked at the corners of his lips.

“Alright. Well you go and pick a DVD then and I’ll order it.”

He concluded giving another curt nod and I smiled as I laced my fingers closer with his and rested my head back onto his chest.

“I love you.”

He breathed hugging me closer and I let a wide smile play on my lips at his words. He told me them every day but each time they seemed to hold even more meaning and they never lost any, just like he did, everyday he’d mean more to me.

“I love you too.”

I replied without even having to think about it, but of course I had because the thought was just unavoidable, making butterflies flutter like fire licking in my stomach at the love we shared, each day feeling as blessed as the previous because I just knew that at the end of the day, however hard things seemed, I still had him.

“I can’t believe you’re leaving me again tomorrow.”

He frowned running his fingers through my hair and I lifted my head from his chest gazing up at him and his putting expression.

“This coming from the boy who’s been back and forwards between Wales and Manchester for the past three weeks.”

“Yeah well that’s different. You’re going to America and for how long again?”

He challenged raising his eye-brows questioningly but I could see the slight sadness in his eyes, the same type that was wrenching in my gut that we never seemed to have a time where we were both free to spend a bit of time together, whenever he gets off work, I go back, I get off and he has to suddenly fly somewhere else again. It’s honestly so frustrating but I guess we’re just glad we have each other at all and actually have a relationship to get frustrated about not being ideal in this crazy world we’re living in right now.

“Just under a month, that’s not that bad, is it?”

“Yes.”

He replied almost instantly and I softened my expression into a small and sad smile.

“It’ll be okay though, I promise I’ll see you before Christmas?”

“Oh yes you will. You most definitely will.”

He smiled securing his hands around my waist he lifted me up slightly and after covering my lips with his for a few seconds before setting me back down and resting his forehead on mine.

“I’m hungry now; I can hear Nandos waiting for me to order.”

He chuckled and I rolled my eyes playfully.

“Go and order it then.”

I instructed and he smiled dropping another kiss onto the tip of my nose before flashing me a smile and shimmying off to the kitchen.

Still smiling for some reason I squatted down onto the carpet and began sifting through the endless amounts of DVDS in the box by the TV. I took this opportunity to look around the room, I hadn’t been here for a little over a month now and it had changed subtly. There were new pictures from various photo shoots the boys had done on the walls replacing the old ones these were freshly framed and I couldn’t decide whether I thought that the colour of the frame went with the colour of the walls, but then again, this wasn’t my house.

“Ash what do you want?!”

Niall hollered from the kitchen and a few seconds later he stuck his head through the doorway his phone pressed to his t-shirt. I shrugged; unfortunately, I did not know the whole menu off by heart like he did.

“Just whatever you’re having.”

I replied dismissively.

“You sure?”

He asked raising his eye-brows and I nodded.

“Uh huh.”

I confirmed.

“Okay.”

He nodded giving me a smile before turning back and proceeding back to the kitchen where I could faintly hear him continuing to reel off his most likely way too much then we would eat order.

“So what are we watching?”

He questioned as he re-entered clutching a bowl of popcorn that he was hungrily shoving kernels into his mouth and a bag of Chilli Heat wave Doritos in his other hand.

“What? I bet it won’t be here for at least half an hour and I’m hungry.”

I just smiled as I retreated back to the sofa after shutting all the curtains. Although I couldn’t help but wince as the red wing mirror of the Range Rover was still poking out behind the hedge. Brushing this off as coincidence I held up the DVD I was suggesting to Niall.

“You remember the other month we were talking about it? I don’t think I’ve ever watched it with you, in fact I’m surprised you even own this DVD.”

“Zayn likes it. I’ve watched it about a million times but I suppose it never gets old…Hey now you can be my Rose…”

He chuckled smugly and I rolled my eyes as I slid the DVD into the player and pressed P L A Y.

“You know you say ridiculously cheesy things?”

I giggled a tease as I crashed down onto the sofa next to him immediately snuggling into the embrace he had already pulled me into.

“You love it really.”

He mused dropping a kiss onto my forehead as the first scene began to unfold on the film.

“Skip this bit it’s boring, skip to the actual story.”

I instructed rather curtly and he looked at me a small smiling playing on his lips.

“Okay Miss particular.”

He scoffed holding the remote out in front of him as he fast forwarded through the modern bit they’d added into the start. Now the seven was folding out into Jack winning his lucky hand in poker.

“I am not Miss Particular.”

I scoffed folding my arms over my chest in protest and Niall smiled.

“Oh you are.”

“No I’m not.”

“Yes, you are. Things are done Ashley’s way or not at all, right?”

He teased giving me a playful prod in the stomach.

“No. I’m tolerant, actually.”

“I didn’t say you weren’t tolerant, I said you’re particular. I never said it was a bad thing.”

He smirked and I rolled my eyes.

“Whatever, gosh I think you live to wind me up.”

I shook my head letting my fingers trace up and down his chest making him smirk even more.

“Nah, I live to love you.”

Cheesy.”

I sung but it came out all muffled as his lips were already in firm contact with mine, soft yet warm as they moved against mine slowly making that same fire lick inside my stomach wrenching at my heart and flooding my body with happiness.

“I swear you get more beautiful every time I see you.”

He murmured against my lips and I smiled looking down to my lap but he titled my chin up forcing me to look at him.

“I love you.”

I breathed gazing into his eyes instantly feeling myself getting lost again, so mesmerizing.

“I love you too beautiful. I’ve missed you so much though.”

I smiled at this nuzzling further into this chest as his fingers ran through my hair smoothing out any tangles. My hair was always imperfect.

“I’ve missed you a lot too, but we’re here now, right?”

“Yeah, but not for long.”

He frowned resting his chin on top of my head sighing heavily.

“Better than nothing though.”

I reminded him and he smiled sliding his hands down to my hips and pulling me even closer to him.

“Definitely.”

He mused and I smiled as I leaned back up making contact with his lips again.

“We gonna watch this movie or what?”

I smirked pulling away and he shrugged.

“We can try.”

He smiled planting another kiss on my forehead before cuddling back into me as we settled back into the film.

A considerable amount of Nandos, a few kisses, and a sinking ship, plus a whole two hours later Niall was beginning to become restless.

“God sit still you’re so fidgety!”

I scolded and Niall smirked.

“Sorry but the best part of the film is over so now I’m bored.”

Sighing I looked at him softening my expression.

“Well would you like to do something else instead then?”

I questioned and he shrugged.

“Maybe…But I need to talk to you first.”

He announced and I snapped my gaze up to his as if doing this could give me some kind of clue as to what this was going to be about, but his demeanour was giving nothing away.

“O-Okay. What’s up?”

I questioned and he gave me a small smile before lifting me up from the place I was currently occupying beside him and placing me on his lap facing him. I shuffled closer as he ran his hands down my sides settling them by my bum; simultaneously I placed mine on his chest looking down at him.

“What-What are you plans for Christmas?”

He questioned and I raised my eye-brows feeling the sense of déjà vu as Anne had asked me this same question today. I shrugged.

“I haven’t made any yet.”

I admitted biting down on my lower lip as I caught a small smile quirk at the corner of his lips.

“Oh. Well, I was wondering, I mean you don’t have to if it’s only if you want to and I totally understand if you don’t but I err…I wasn’t totally sure what was going on with you and your family right now so I was just…I was wondering if you’d like to come to Ireland with me for Christmas?”

I smiled properly after hearing this. He’s so cute when he’s all concerned of making sure I don’t feel pressured into doing something with him, or going somewhere with him but really, he needn’t be so unsure of himself. I’d love that and even though that’d mean coming clean with my parents maybe I didn’t mind. I wasn’t a child anymore they couldn’t tell me I couldn’t. I had my own money, my own place to live and most of all my own relationship. And they can go and shove it if they don’t like it.

“Niall I’d love to. You don’t have to be so apprehensive about asking, I’d love to, honestly.”

He grinned leaning his forehead against mine and the happiness was evitable in his eyes, the same way I could feel it inside of me, evading my heart and flooding my body with that happiness again. That drunken feeling, but it wasn’t the same type you got from alcohol. I was intoxicated on our own happiness, and that, was something special.

“Good, I’m glad.”

He smiled smashing his lips to mine I could still feel him smiling as our lips moved in sync getting more and more heated by the second and I slowly felt myself leaning back and a few seconds later my back made contact with the cool leather of the sofa where my top had come up slightly. His hands explored my sides and a few times cheekily slipped down to underneath my bum as his lips continued to move against mine creating all those emotions churning in my stomach.Like a spicy type of alcohol burning in the back of my throat, but it was different to that, it was nice, as an understatement but it was also that swoony type of love that was flooding my body, hastily amercing it in his own love-full intoxication that he always inflicts on me, every time.

At this moment, just as I was convinced I was about to go completely insane with how crazy I was going inside right now the shrill sound of the doorbell sounded through the house invading the silence of the house aside from us, well, kissing. Whoever was at the door, obviously did not know how doorbells worked and was keeping their finger pressed on it meaning the sound got more and more high pitched as the seconds slipped by and I began to contemplate pulling away from Niall as he was just ignoring it, I could use a bit of air.

“Sh-Shouldn’t we…get that?”

I asked my breath coming out in long raggedy gasps. Niall’s lips were still grazing mine making me burn and crave for even more of him but I was the one who had pulled away.

“No.” He shook his head slightly. “It won’t be anyone important, nobody knows…we’re here, they’ll go away in a minute.”

So taking this as it came I shrugged grabbing at his t-shirt and pulling his lips back down into instant harsh contact with mine the heat and love renewed straight away. He was just as into it as me so I kissed him back with as much passion as I could muster, which was a lot, this boy was my world. But the shrill sound of the doorbell continued and now I was getting a little freaked out. Whoever was there was excreting a lot of power onto a single finger to keep it on there for this long and what was the point anyway? What were they? National doorbell destroyers? Beats me.

“N-Niall.”

I stuttered pulling away briefly and he blinked once at me now I could see slight sweat beginning to rise on his brow, it was pretty hot in here and of course our choice of activity didn’t help.

“For fuck’s sake. Wait here, I’ll go and see what idiot thinks this is funny.”

He grumbled lifting himself off of me and fixing his t-shirt before running his fingers through his hair but I sat up pulling at his hand, tugging him back.

“What if it’s someone…Really creepy though?”

I yell whispered holding onto his hand tightly possibly more scared for him then I was for myself, after all, I was the one staying here.

“Well if it is then they’ll have to get past me before they get to you. Who would it even be at this time? It’s probably just some idiotic teenagers.”

I just looked at him trying to believe this but somehow I had a bad feeling, that like so many other things lately, this wasn’t just coincidence.

“J-Just be careful.”

The sound was still going, now even louder than it had started out. I was almost expecting the doorbell to cut out any minute anyway, losing it’s battery or something. I’m pretty sure you can only press those things so many times and this one was being pressed about one hundred times per ten seconds.

“I will, don’t worry love. I’ll tell em’ where to go.”

I blinked once wincing as I felt his hand leave mine and almost instantly I pulled myself up from the sofa and tip-toed after him peering around the doorway hiding in the shadows as I watched him my heart pounding in my chest. As he creaked open the door to the utility room I could see the bright light from the porch lights streaming through the top window but as Niall slammed his hand down onto the front door handle about to open it, the noise came to an abrupt stop. Typical. But Niall opened the door anyway flinging it open with force I could almost see the frustration oozing off of him.

There was nobody there.

For a moment Niall just stood there clenching his fists as he looked out into the darkness almost expecting someone to turn up any second, but they didn’t. And when he realised this he stepped out over the threshold and looked either way and then to the floor and back up around him.

“Oi!” He hollered. Nothing. “I don’t know in what world whoever you are thought that, that was funny, but it’s fucking not. So I suggest you fuck off right now or I’ll have you done for trespassing and harassment!”

I just stood there behind the doorway watching his frustration and slight anger fold out in front of me. But then again, I was pretty creeped out too. I mean, who wouldn’t be? Maybe not so much if they’d pressed the doorbell like a normal person, but no, whoever they were had to stand there and hold it down for about five minutes, who does that anyway?

After a few more seconds of nothing stirring outside Niall concluded that whoever or whatever it was, was either long gone or just wasn’t going to turn up so he spun around on his heel slamming the door behind him making the house shake slightly.

It was a strange type of light inside the house, there were no lights on but the moon was full tonight and shining heavily and bright through the skylight giving everything a kind of eerie type of dense light and it was weird, I couldn’tdecide whether I liked it or not.

“Fucking idiots.”

Niall grumbled as he then shut the utility door behind him and I could now see the porch light outside beginning to fade away, going, going, going, gone. I don’t think he had even realised I was there straight away as he snapped his gaze up to mine his eyes widening slightly.

“I tell you I bet it was freaking idiotic school kids.”

He mumbled as I just looked at him moving forwards slightly as he enclosed his fingers around mine tugging me out from the shadows I had situated myself in, now in full view of the moonlight it felt strange and it almost kind of hurt my eyes to be stood in it.

“It’s okay,” I breathed an octave lighter and less angry than he was. “They’ve had their fun, they’re gone now anyway.”

Niall shrugged giving me a small and slightly wistful smile as he then folded his fingers around my other hand pulling me closer to him.

“I suppose, but if they come back then they better know what’s coming for them.”

“They won’t.”

I assured but really I was doubtful, doubtful that both they wouldn’t come back and that it even was idiotic school kids. Surely not at almost two in the morning on a weekday, I knew from recent experience of being one myself that teenagers were rebellious and stayed up late even when they did have school but there weren’t an awful lot living around here and I couldn’t see the ones that did traipsing around on their bikes or whatever to hold their finger on a doorbell for five minutes straight. It just didn’t seem worth it, but then again, it’s not like I’ve never been surprised before.

“Well we’ll just wait and see won’t we? You tired?”

He asked pressing both of his palms flat against mine and offering me a small smile which I returned. I shook my head and then leaned up slightly resting my forehead on his.

“Nope.”

I smiled popping the p.

“Well, that’s okay then.”

He grinned before smashing his lips back to mine and I kissed him back hungrily.

Now the sky had clouded over, covering the light from the moon making everything become cloaked in an eerie almost pitch black darkness. I couldn’t decide whether I liked it better like this, not being able to see anything more than the necessary, but maybe that was a bad thing. Because sometimes, it’s nice to expand yourself and allow yourself to indulge in a little further than just the necessary. To allow yourself to have some luxuries in life because otherwise life can get a little boring, and of course, in this crazy world we’re living in now; that’d be anything but acceptable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N.

because I like creepy things:')

going to the beach this evening because it's summer.

my love for ellie goulding is undying okay you should listen to her she's a god.

seriously right guys when i finsihed Picture This I didn't think it would gain anymore reads since I wasn't adding any more chapters since it was finished and it only went and gained about a million more reads;o  you cannot even understand my love for you guys seriously it might be even more than ellie goulding and that's saying something.

oh and I hope my twitter crew are enjoying my tweets as I literally post pictures of everything haha

you should still follow me on twitter okay the links on my profile;)

love you.

-Emily.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 2.8K 48
"When you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not, it's just the beginning." We were ruined after I left her alone. She wa...
35.3K 608 19
He looked at me, his eyes looking like they were piercing through my soul. I froze in shock and I felt Liam's arms wrap around me and squeeze me agai...
1.7K 66 24
DON'T READ! IT'S BAD. JUST A WARNING..... How it starts: A dream relationship? Literally. She dreams about a boy, a boy she doesn't know. And every...
437 46 8
DISCONTINUED Someone once told me "Don't ever be afraid to take risks, for they make life worth living." That has to be the wisest thing anyone had e...