Superior (Watty Awards 2012)

Jennabean16

In a futuristic world, men are superior. Women are only there to populate. Meet Uri, a young boy quickly appr... Еще

Superior
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter 2
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter 5
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight

Chapter Six

215 9 4
Jennabean16

Chapter 6

Uri sat on his bed, utility knife in hand. The small dent made him realize how big his plot was. It would involve him being ready for Carrie-Anne, trying to get her into the plan as well. He would have to erase the fears of being caught.

His father would never notice his own son's disappearance. He was never 'home' anyways.

Carrie-Anne, on the other hand, was a different story. The guards would notice. They would need to leave as soon as the free hour bell rung, so they would have enough time to create proper distance.

Discussions would have to be as private as possible. The Hill wouldn't even be a safe place for conversations about escape.

He clenched the small knife and opened the drawer in which it was safe. As he dropped the knife in, he noticed a small piece of paper. The paper was folded into the shape of an envelope. Kyle Martinez was scrawled on the back, his father's name.

Grabbing the folded paper, he dropped the knife into the deep drawer. He stuffed it into his pocket and walked to the door. He walked outside, forgetting to put his shoes on, and left for the Hill.

************************************************************************************

As the bell rang, Carrie-Anne stood and waiting for the CellMen to unlock her door. As a tall man approached her Cell, she noticed he had no keys. In fact, none of the men letting the other little girls out had keys.

"Carrie-Anne," her mother called her name. She turned her head to her mother. Still no signs of pregnancy, although they both knew the child was there. "Have a nice time."

She knew her mother was trying to distract her from something she shouldn't know, but she didn't say anything.

Carrie-Anne had noticed, out of the corner of her eye, the small jiggling the tall men did with her Cell door. The barred door then slightly opened, allowing her to slip out. She looked at another gIrl being let out. They didn't pay attention to the fact that the doors weren't actually locked.

No one did, besides Carrie-Anne.

************************************************************************************

As he approached the Hill, Uri reached into his pocket, feeling for the piece of paper. As he grasped it, he tore it out of his pocket. It was slightly crumpled, but he carefully unfolded it, making sure it didn't tear.

A beautiful border of golden curls went all around the page. Fancy lettering in cursive was written in a couple of lines. As he laid it out on the grassy space around him, he stared at the words on it.

Birth Certificate

Name: Uri (Kyle) Martinez

Father (biological): Kyle Martinez

A birth certificate? Uri thought about this. If it said his father's name, it must say his mother's, too.

Looking underneath the space for his father's name, he noticed that it did, indeed, have a space for the mother's name, but there was no name in the spot. Just a small dash in it's place.

He heard soft footsteps coming up the Hill. Carrie-Anne's footsteps, he knew. He turned his head to see the top of her golden-brown hair.

She slowed as she saw him. "Uri..." A look of fear shadowed her face.

"Carrie-Anne, I need to talk with you," He told her, patting the ground next to him, signaling for her to sit with him.

She began to shake her head, but realized she had been longing to hear his voice, even if only once. She crunched her toes up, and felt the strands of grass curling in between her toes. She closed her eyes and took a brief deep breath.

When she opened her eyes again, Uri was still there, waiting for her to join him. She walked over and sat next to him. He turned his head to the forest, looking at the evergreen colors splotched throughout.

Carrie-Anne pulled a sliver of grass from its root and began to peel it into pieces. The silence that fell over them sent a shiver down Carrie-Anne's spine.

This isn't right, she thought. I shouldn't be here.

Yet she couldn't bring herself to move, to walk away.

"What is it that you need to say to me?" Carrie-Anne said urgently. "I would really rather not be caught speaking with you, or else..." A slight hint of anger rang throughout her voice. She caught sight of her wrists, and decided to show Uri the pain she went through. The pain he just watched her go through. She shoved her wrists in his face. "Or else this will happen again, but worse!"

She realized how loudly she had been speaking, and quickly covered her mouth.

Uri laughed, a quick little chuckle. "It isn't going to help if you yell so loudly." He turned to look at Carrie-Anne. He saw the hurt slowly cover her face. Uri's smug facial expression quickly softened. "Hey... I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"

"Please, tell me what you wanted to say," She urged him on. No apologies would help her situation, so she decided not to take any.

He defensively raised his hands. "Okay, okay. What do you think of... Of escaping this place?" He regretted the words as soon as he said them. Carrie-Anne's face turned from hurt to fear.

"No," she said as her eyes widened. "No. Someone will hear you, and then we'll both be in trouble. Besides, we'd never get out. They'd know I was missing, and they'd chase after me. We could get hurt, or worse!"

"Could," He repeated. "We could get hurt, but we could also get out fine."

She slowly stood. "I'm sorry, Uri. I just got out of pain. I'd rather not be thrown back to it." Carrie-Anne began to turn on her heel when Uri grabbed her hand.

"Please," He said. "Just think about it. For a little bit. With me?"

She thought about it for a second. Staying with him for a little bit, wasn't a bad idea, but that didn't make it a good one. She decided to turn and think about this escape.

"I don't know how you expect us to just waltz out of here," Carrie-Anne stated, being blatantly honest. "Maybe you can just walk out without anyone noticing, but, in case you haven't noticed, I'm a girl. Things are different."

Uri noticed the slight tone in her voice. Annoyance, fear, and anger, all mixed into one subtle tone that flowed out with her words.

"I know," He told Carrie-Anne, slightly rolling his eyes. "I realize things are more risky in your case, but it's still possible, Carrie." He realized how much more he liked just Carrie over her full name.

A small smile sprawled across her face as she looked at the ground. She liked the sound of her name being said with his slight accent. A southern accent, she thought. Pretty.

He noticed the light pink that seemed to slightly spread across her cheeks.

"Are you blushing?" Uri asked her, trying to make eye contact with her. He poked her knee with his index finger. "Does Carrie-Anne have a widdle crush?"

She snapped her head up to look at Uri. She thought he was serious, but laughter danced in his eyes. She pushed his shoulder away from him.

"On you? Yeah, right."

"Ouch," Uri clutched his heart as if she had just stabbed it. "That hurts."

Carrie-Anne slightly shrugged and laughed. Uri joined her in laughter to the point where they laid down, clutching their stomachs. Their laughter died down and they both just stared at the clouds above.

The bell rang, but Carrie-Anne didn't want to leave. She wanted the freedom that Uri had, the freedom to stay in the moment. The freedom to not have to leave every time she heard a bell ring.

She slouched her posture while standing up, because she was returning to her miserable world. The picture Uri had painted for her was a beautiful one, with bright colors and happiness displayed over it.

When Uri stood, she felt the need to do something. She reached out her arms and wrapped them around Uri.

"Thank you," Carrie-Anne said into his shoulder. "Thank you for the friendship. And for the hope."

Uri nodded his reply into the top of her head. She backed away.

"See you tomorrow?" He asked, hoping she would say yes. He wanted to see her again. She gave his world a little light, as he'd hoped he was doing for her.

She nodded as she turned on her heel and ran. Her wavy golden brown hair bounced in the wind. Her shining hair quickly disappeared into the Cell Room, only ten seconds before the final bell rang.

A crooked smile made its way onto his face, and spread to his eyes, which danced with happiness. He gave her hope. Hope. It was huge to Uri, who had never affected anyone's life in the slightest bit.

The smile stayed on his face as he left to his house. The crunch of the gravel beneath his feet only made him think of how Carrie had just been on this exact gravel.

He forgot the absence of the shoes on his feet. He forgot to say hi to Sam the baker. He forgot to stop at his building, which made him have to turn around and head back. When the secretary of the barracks said hi, he quickly said a kind hello back.

He chose to take the stairs up to his barrack. Only then did he notice the fact that he had forgotten his shoes, which only made him laugh at himself.

How can I forget shoes? He thought to himself. I walked on gravel and grass, and had no shoes whatsoever!

Once he reached the barracks, he immediately felt as if something was wrong. He heard rustling inside. He suddenly heard his father.

"Goddamnit!" He slightly shouted. Uri knew something was wrong. He slowly opened the door to see his father frantically searching the room.

"Dad?" Uri caught his father's attention during the chaos around him. Drawers were emptied on the floor, and papers were spread everywhere. Different documents were printed in neat writing across each paper. "What's wrong?"

"Uri," Mr. Martinez tried to take a relaxing deep breath. "Did you happen to see a small piece of paper, folded into an envelope? It had my name on it, and I know it was in this drawer!"

His voice rose and he kicked a nearby drawer, knocking a dent into the side. Uri looked at the small hole and splintered wood. He knew it wouldn't be fixable.

"Um," Uri reached his hand into his pocket, expecting to feel the small folded piece in his pocket. Instead, he just felt the lining of the inside of his pocket. Oh, no, he thought. He had forgotten it on the hill, distracted by Carrie's arrival. "No... Why? Is it important?"

His father put his face in his hands, trying to think of any possible places it could be. "It's your birth certificate, and you need it to find your suitable job! Without it, you have nothing at all!"

Uri's heart sank and his face went pale. He knew that the certificate was long gone, blown by the wind, or ruined by an animal.

Along with it, his life.

************************************************************************************

A/N: Yes, this is LOOONNNGGG overdue! Yes, I am EXTREEEMMMEELLYY sorry!! I wrote this over about two hours, so I hope its kinda long, although I know it won't be lol. So, yeah, thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed ^.^

P.S. I really am trying to update more consistently,because of the Wattys. Wish me luck :D

Comment/Vote/Fan :-)

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Broken Promises Moonstone-87

Про оборотней

2.2K 23 29
I will switch to other POV throughout the story. Non-traditional ABO, Alpha, Beta, Omega Dynamics. Trigger Warning Explicit smut in details through...
12.9K 405 32
"You love me" "No I don't" "Yes you do" "I don't" "Max, come on, you know you do. You have thing for me" "You're weird" "I know and you are in love w...
Reality(1 in series) ~Completed~ Gabrielle

Научная фантастика

432K 23.8K 28
My father left me and my mother when I was nine. When I was twelve, he came back for me, and caused destruction in his wake. Little did I know what w...
A Year With Williams simrankaurmalhotra9

Подростковая литература

3.8K 353 55
I wrote this when I was like 13. Never edited it. Read at your own risk. Hate A very strong word Love An even stronger emotion There will always be...