Ontogeny

By IanReeve216

The kingdoms of Carrow and Helberion are rejoicing. After a century of strife and conflict that has brought b... More

Chapter 1a
Chapter 1b
Chapter 2a
Chapter 2b
Chapter 3a
Chapter 3b
Chapter 4a
Chapter 4b
Chapter 5a
Chapter 5b
Chapter 6a
Chapter 6b
Chapter 7a
Chapter 7b
Chapter 8a
Chapter 8b
Chapter 9a
Chapter 9b
Chapter 10a
Chapter 10b
Chapter 11b
Chapter 12a
Chapter 12b
Chapter 13a
Chapter 13b
Chapter 14a
Chapter 14b
Chapter 15a
Chapter 15b
Chapter 16a
Chapter 16b
Chapter 17a
Chapter 17b
Chapter 18a
Chapter 18b
Chapter 19a
Chapter 19b
Chapter 20a
Chapter 20b
Volume Two

Chapter 11a

28 10 30
By IanReeve216

"Now would be a good time," said Harper, leaning over to whisper in Malone's ear.

Malone grimaced, but nodded his reply. He looked over at the Brigadier, sitting a little way apart from the others. Brooding, the way he had been the whole five days since they'd left Tollbine with the precious bag of dried bluecap mushrooms tucked safely in Quill's saddlebags. The others were concerned by this uncharacteristic behaviour. Their commander was never the most conversational person at the best of times. He liked to keep his own counsel. He almost never engaged in gossip and small talk. Since parting ways with Parcellius, though, he'd become even worse.

There was clearly something bothering him, and the men had been discussing it quietly among themselves every time they stopped on their journey back east. They were disturbed by it. The Brigadier was well liked by his men and they'd tried several times to get him to talk, without success. He would respond to every enquiry with a grunt or, at most, a monosyllabic answer that shut off the conversation, then return to his brooding. Malone had known him longer than any of the others, though, and had gained a close familiarity with him that enabled him to say things that none of the others could. That morning, as they'd been getting ready to set off, the men had gathered around and urged him to speak to him, their voices unusually serious. Malone hadn't needed much urging, though. He'd already made up his mind to do just that.

There hadn't been the opportunity at the time, nor had there been when they'd stopped for their midday meal, but they'd now made camp for the night and the men were staring at him and nodding in the Brigadier's direction. Malone gave their stew one last stir and spooned a generous serving into a pewter bowl. Then he took it over to where the Brigadier was sitting.

"Here you are, sir," he said, placing the bowl and a spoon by his side. The Brigadier glanced down at the small pieces of chicken meat floating amongst the globs and pieces of chopped vegetable, gently steaming in the cool, evening air. Then he nodded and picked it up. Malone waited, but the Brigadier just spooned the meat into his mouth without a word.

Malone looked back at the men, who urged him on with hand gestures. He sighed again and tried to think of something to say, just to open the conversation. "I assume we'll be passing through Radiant territory again."

The Brigadier gave no sign that he'd heard, though. Just kept spooning the stew into his mouth. He gave no indication that he was enjoying it either. It was as though eating was nothing more than a necessary task, like fuelling a machine. It could have been the ambrosia of the Gods or rancid, week old leftovers and he would have reacted just the same. It would keep his body going, and that was all that mattered.

"Because we need to get back as fast as possible and we made it last time," pressed Malone. "Pretty much. Except for poor Smithy, of course."

Still no reply. The Brigadier was staring straight ahead, his forehead creased in a frown, his eyes on the hilly horizon where the sun, huge and red, was sinking into a layer of cloud.

"Brigadier? Sir?"

Malone looked back at the men, whose unease was deepening, and an uncharacteristic anger began to steal over him. "Brigadier!" That did it, and the head snapped around to stare up at him. "What's come over you? What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," he replied, looking ahead again, the stew forgotten. "Just thinking things over."

Malone waited, but the Brigadier didn't seem inclined to say more than that. "What things?" he asked. "What's on your mind?"

"Just things. The road ahead. There's dangerous territory between here and home."

Malone didn't buy it. This all started back with the archaeologist, he thought. Those books he found. No, the statue. The deformed woman with the half raised child in her arms. He'd given a start as if it meant something to him, and the books had added to it, but what?

He decided to sound him out. "Funny how those old books didn't mention Radiants, isn't it?"

The Brigadier looked at him again, and now there was the faintest of smiles on his lips as if he'd realised the game was up. "You're right, it is strange," he replied. There was a long pause before he spoke again, but Malone waited patiently with great relief, knowing that he'd broken through the man's shell. He'd speak now. Tell what it was that had been bothering him.

When he did speak, though, it was such a change of subject that the batman thought at first that he was trying to fob him off again. "Did you know that, about three thousand years ago, the human race almost died out?"

"No I didn't," replied Malone, staring at him anxiously.

"There was a mighty civilisation back then."

"The Hetin people."

"Right. They accomplished things we can't even dream of. It was a world of marvels and miracles. All the scientific marvels we have today, steam engines, the telegraph, guns and artillery, come from studying the relics they left behind, but that's barely scraping the surface of what they had. It's said that they walked on the moon and studied other worlds circling other stars."

Malone had heard such things but thought it was nothing but fancy. He said nothing, though, not wanting to interrupt now that the Brigadier was finally talking.

"But then, for some reason, their population crashed. They died by the millions. Their civilisation dissolved into chaos. Nobody knows why. We know there were wars, fought with weapons of unimaginable violence, but that was the result of the crash, not the cause. Some say they were afflicted by plague. Others that their industries caused pollution that poisoned them. Nobody really knows. What is known is that barely a handful survived, maybe only a few thousand, and they were scattered across the earth in communities of only a couple of dozen at the most. We came so close to just dying out altogether. So very close.

"Those who survived had to start all over again. Back in my army days one of my Captains had a book of the Hetin people. A school book like that one Parcellius found. It had pictures of all kinds of animals, including people, with the animal's name in big letters beside it, and beside each animal was a smaller animal of the same kind. Except for the frog, which had some kind of small fish beside it, and the butterfly which had some kind of worm with legs. They were the exceptions, though. The horse had a small horse beside it. The cat had a small cat..." He turned to look up at Malone. "And the woman had a very small human beside her. Only half her size."

"A pigmy, like some eastern tribes..."

"No, this wasn't a pigmy. And now that I think about it, I think the woman had bulges on her chest, under her dress, as if she had the same deformation as that small statue. There have been other clues. I travelled a lot back in my army days, I've seen a lot of strange things, and I've had plenty of time to think about them."

"And you've come to a conclusion," Malone guessed.

The Brigadier nodded. "It sounds crazy, maybe it is crazy. It's only now that I'm thinking of saying it out loud that I realise just how crazy it really is." He took another spoonful of stew and lifted it to his mouth. Malone waited patiently.

"I think," the Brigadier said at last, "that long ago we, and all animals, multiplied in a different way from how we do now. They didn't adopt lower animals and raise them. I think each animal somehow produced a small animal of the same kind as itself, which then grew." He stared at his batman to see how he would take that.

Malone was speechless for a long time. "So why is this suddenly bothering you now?" he asked.

"Because I never made the connection with the Radiants before. There were no Radiants in that book my Captain had, but I didn't think anything of it. But there were none of them in the book Parcellius found either and that can't be a coincidence. I'm now beginning to wonder..."

"If the reason they weren't in the books is because there weren't any Radiants back then," finished Malone.

The Brigadier nodded. "This mission is just about over," he said. "Just take these mushrooms home, feed them to the Princess... If they don't work I'm out of ideas. Either way, the King doesn't need me any more. You're right, we will be passing through Radiant territory again, and when we get there I won't be going home with the men. There are answers to be found, and I think the Radiants might have them. I'm going to the nearest Radiant city."

☆☆☆

"You're doing what?" exclaimed Blane, jumping to his feet and almost spilling his bowl of stew. He put it down on a log to free his hands.

"There's a matter I have to investigate. Something that might be important, or might not. We won't know until we look. Sherren Harle says there's a Radiant territory a few days travel to the north." Their guide looked up at the mention of his name. His yellow eyes fixed on the Brigadier for a few moments, then he went back to his bowl of stew, picking out the lumps of meat and popping them into his mouth with his fingers. "Malone and I will go there, take a look around and re-join you in Marboll..."

"If you ever get back to Marboll. Remember what happened last time? Poor Smithy..."

"I believe this is worth the risk. Besides, I don't really think there's much danger. The trouble last time came from a deranged demon and the Radiants themselves came to our rescue. They're not monsters. They're not ogres hiding under bridges. Sherren will lead you back to the edge of Mekrol, then you'll be back in normal lands where you can follow roads the rest of the way home."

"You still only know a few words of Pennygab," pointed out Crane. "How will you communicate with people?"

In reply, the Brigadier spoke a string of words in the traders' tongue, and the tracker stared in astonishment. "When did you learn that?" he exclaimed.

"I've been listening while you've been talking to Sherren and the villagers. My family has always been good with languages. The past couple of days I've been able to follow almost everything you've been saying."

"We've only been talking on a very limited range of subjects," replied Crane. "Suppose you have to talk about something else?"

"I'm sure we'll be able to make ourselves understood."

"Two of the men will go with you," said Blane. "Harper and Spencer..."

"No. Every man will be needed to get the mushrooms back home. The two of us will have no trouble, I'm sure. I suggest you take the road through the Maybells. The stormy season is nearly here and there's little cover in Wilterland."

"That'll take longer..." began Quill, but Blane waved him to silence. "This is a bad idea," he said. "To risk yourself like this... Your unfamiliarity with the local language makes you very vulnerable. Not everyone hereabouts speaks the traders' tongue. And there'll be just the two of you with two horses. Suppose you parent bond with them?"

"We'll change horses at every opportunity. No more arguing, Sergeant. You have your orders. In the morning you'll go east and we'll go north. Now finish your stew and get some rest." The Brigadier then went to sit apart from the others and took his now almost empty can of brass polish from his kit bag.

"You should have talked him out of this," Harper told Malone accusingly.

The batman stared in shocked betrayal. "It was you who wanted me to talk to him!" he cried. "If you hadn't pressured me into it he'd still be brooding his way back to Marboll. Don't blame me for this."

"Why in the names of Those Above does he want to go to a Radiant city?" asked Cotton.

Malone hurriedly filled them in on what the Brigadier had told him about the Hetin folk.

"He wants to go on an archaeological field trip at a time like this?" exclaimed the former poacher.

"I think he wants to speak to the Radiants themselves."

"They can't speak! They never speak. Nobody knows how they communicate. They'll end up adopting him, you too, and we'll never see him again."

"They can't adopt Malone," pointed out Quill. "He's not fully human yet."

Everyone ignored the wizard. "Spoon, you tell him," said Harper.

"It's Spoon-ER!" said the ranger. He leaned forward to refill his bowl with the last of the stew.

"Okay, Spoon-ER!" said Harper testily. "Tell him to speak to the Brigadier again."

"Who cares what the Brigadier does? Let him go wandering off if he wants. Why should we care?"

The others stared at him. "You're just full of compassion, aren't you, Spoon? Sorry, Spoon-ER!"

"Shut it, Harper."

"Watch the attitude, Spooner," warned Blane. "You got first watch tonight. Spend the time thinking about how to get on with people."

Spooner glared at him, then pointedly ignored the others while he ate his stew.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

460K 12.6K 42
After a great victory in the elven city of Sudegam, Searon finds himself at peace where he can finally rest. Or can he? As soon as everything seems t...
902 88 47
How do you defeat an enemy you cannot reason with, you cannot hide from, you cannot escape, you cannot kill? For they are not truly alive. *They are...
6K 308 45
Old feuds, new worlds, and a love that will last a lifetime... Ever since her dad mysteriously abandoned her family, life on the Clifton Estate hasn'...
944 208 50
Volume Two of the Ontogeny series. A time of unprecedented crisis has come. During a mission to the edge of the known world, Brigadier Weyland James...