Stronger Than Pain

By WeirderMum

Highest Rank #61 Mum was struggling to breathe, her legs kicking hard as they shuffled on the floor. I pulle... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Fifty
Hello All
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
I'm Heartbroken!!
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Hello

Chapter Forty Nine

1.5K 282 30
By WeirderMum

"Let's go please" The Doc said walking down the hallway. Stealing a last glance at Aunty Mma, I followed the Doc while holding unto Zara. Three steps away, I glanced behind to find aunty still standing. Like a statue.

"Aunty?" I called out watching as she jerked, a sign that she'd been absentminded all these while. Nodding, she swiftly made her way towards us.

Aunty Mma was surprised to see a heavily pregnant figure laying on the hospital bed. The doctor was holding the door open for us to come in, his eyes watching mum keenly. Aunty didn't know whether to be happy or sad as all sorts of emotion danced round her face. Taking quiet steps towards the bed, she leaned closer and gave mum a happy but gentle hug.

"Silly you Nneka. Very silly you!" She said playfully.

Mum didn't respond. Her chest lifting higher and lower in a graceful rhythm.

"She needs her rest, so do not wake her up" The Doc said moving away from the door. We nodded.
"And I'll instruct the nurse to prepare a list of what we've done so far so you can get an idea of the cost". He added and Aunty nodded again.

"Will mummy be alright Ada?" Zara asked, her eyes fixed on mum whose only sign of being alive was the rising and falling of her chest.

"The doctor says so Zara, we can only hope and pray" I answered, my eyes slowly filling with tears.

"But what if she doesn't? Does that mean we'll go back to daddy?"

I glanced at her and at that moment realised there was such a possibility. Even though tiny, but it's still there.
What if this happens? Will I ever forgive dad? I shook my head to cast away such feelings. Mum must live, she has to.

"Let's not think about that Zara, mum will be fine. For our sake"

"I hope so. I do not want to go back to daddy" She muttered, her head resting on my hips.

Her words caught me off guard. All her life, we've treated her as a baby and never for once thought about the effect our family drama would be having on her. Hearing her openly despise dad has showed me how much she has grown. Zara isn't a baby anymore as she's forcefully growing up, with her childhood been snatched from her, just like me. And right now I can say, she doesn't deserve to live with this burden.

I rubbed her shoulders, my eyes darting up to see aunty Mma who is sitting beside mum. She was holding unto mum's hand, making a silent prayer. I led Zara to them and silently we prayed too.
*****

I took aunty Mma to our abode on her request and she nearly puked. She couldn't believe for a second where and how we were living.

"Pack your things, everything!" she screamed, s single streak of tear rolling down her cheek. "Whether your mum likes it or not, you all are coming to stay with me" she added firmly.

A part of me was happy as I was definitely tired of living from hand to mouth, but the other part kept feeling sad for how mum would feel.

With the doctor's permission, we had left Zara with mum while I took aunty to our house. At first I didn't want to, but seeing how weak and frail mum is, and the stress she'd subjected herself to all because of us, forced me into the decision. I hate going against mum, I despise disobeying her but since her separation from dad, she's been forcing herself to become accustomed to pain. It's as if she deliberately chose this pain so as to numb the pain deep down her heart. A pain caused by my dad. I think I'm beginning to understand my mum.

An almost inaudible knock on the door had both of us turning towards it. Whoever it was didn't wait for a response before pushing the door open.

Our neighbour turned mum's helper, the receptionist.

"Everything dey okay (Is everything alright)?" She asked, her head peeking into the room. Consciously, she rested her eyes on aunty Mma, her eyeballs bearing many questions.

"How your mum dey (how is your mum?)" She asked again, easily lifting her eyes off aunty and resting them on me.

"She's fine. Thank you"

"So wetin dey happen here, this one you dey pack your things? (So what's happening and why are you packing up?)" She asked again, her eyes darting from aunty Mma to me.

"Nothing really. We're going to visit mum at the hospital" I replied coldly.

"You go pack all your bags go hospital? No be the things wey dey important pass wey you suppose carry go? (Do you have to take every single thing to the hospital? Aren't you suppose to take only the important once?") She asked again, scrutinizing aunty Mma.

I kept mute. Sincerely, her questions were becoming irritating.

"I be your mama friend so I suppose ask! (I'm your mum's friend so ought to ask)" She said stepping a foot in. "If anything happen to you.... By the way where Zara dey? (By the way, where is Zara?)" She asked glancing around as though the room had hidden compartments. Her brows were now furrowed as she glared at aunty Mma questioningly.

Aunty ignored her, walking slowly to the mattress and leaning on the wall beside it.

"Zara is at the hospital with mum, that's why we're hurrying there"

"Eh? So you wan commot with this woman nah? (so you're going with this woman?)" I nodded.

She slowly turned to aunty Mma. "No vex but who you be? (Pardon me but who are you?" She asked accusingly.

"Her mum's friend" Came Aunty's simple reply.

"Friend keh? Their mama wey I know no get friend, since wey she pack come here I never see am with any friend! (Friend? Their mum doesn't have any friend. Since they moved in, I haven't seen her with any friend)"

Aunty smiled. "So you're quick to forget? Has it been that long that we met you at the hotel?"

Her eyes lit up. "Ah madam no vex! You Don change wella (Ah Madam, don't be offended. You changed a lot)"

Aunty smiled and nodded. "No vex oo, I dey try make sure say no be kidnapper she wan follow commot. You know say country bad (Pardon me, I was trying to ensure she isn't with a kidnapper, you know the atrocities going on in this country)"

Slowly they began to converse as I continued with what Aunty Mma had asked I do. Even though I was busy, I couldn't help but eavesdrop on their conversation.

The receptionist was busy telling aunty of all our struggles, how she got mum the job and how mum was sexually harassed by the first manager she met in regards to a job. Aunty Mma moped on, with every single vein in her system propping up in anger.

"I'm done aunty" I announced, breaking up their little discussion. Aunty glanced at her watch and looked up at me.

"We're late, let's go" She said walking over and hurling the ghana-must-go bag. I carried mum's box while our visitor helped with another bag. At the car, aunty arranged them all in in the boot while we went back to retrieve other things. Finally done, we settled inside the car.

"Make I join una nah, use this opportunity visit her (I'll join you please, let me utilize this opportunity)" The receptionist said moving behind. As she settles, aunty gave our home another glance before zooming off.
*****

"Nekky, you have no option than to do as I say! Listen, this time around, I'm not giving you any options!" Aunty commanded.

Aunty Mma, Zara and I have been on alert watching mum drift in and out of consciousness. The doc said it was normal, promising that she'll be conscious enough, soon.

Aunty didn't want to leave our side, so stayed put with us at the hospital. Early morning the next day, mum woke up and just like the doc said, she was able to recognise us. Aunty Mma especially.

Doc had come in to check up on her and assured is she was fine. He only insisted she stays for a day or two for proper monitoring. Aunty didn't want us to stay further so discussed with the doctor to have mum transferred to a hospital in town. Thankfully, the doctor agreed so aunty set out to clear our debt.

When mum got wind of what was happening, she refused vehemently to follow aunty Mma, her reason being that she didn't want to be treated as a burden. This was the basis of the current argument.

"Mma please. I don't...

"You don't want what? Nneka your life is at stake here, and whether you like it or not, I'm dragging you back to the city"

"I want no one to know I'm pregnant!" Mum protested weakly.

"When you say no one, you mean your husband?"

"Not only him, my family too"

"They are not your enemy Nneka... "

"If my mum knows, then he'll know"

Aunty exhaled, turning to face her squarely. "Then don't tell her!"

"That's what I'm saying, let them.."

"No!" Aunty barked. "Stan and your sister will protect your interest which I'm sure you know, but I can't say same for your mum. So why should they be kept in the dark because of your mum?"

"I still believe if they know, they might maybe unintentionally mention it to mum's hearing"

"I disagree Nneka." Aunty paused. "There's no way I can take you home and nurse you till delivery without any member of your family's knowledge!"

"Why? If you want me to go with you, then my family mustn't know my condition!" Mum insisted. Aunty laughed.

"You don't get it do you?" Aunty asked amidst laughter. Mum appeared lost. "Right now you don't have a choice, you do as I say!"

"You see?" Mum said staring at aunty Mma. "This is exactly why I refused coming to you. You'll always want to shove every of your idea down my throat!"

"Nneka.... "

"No Mma, it won't work!"

"Please Nneka. Okay fine. Let me talk to Stan and...."

"No.. "

"He loves you. Tobe loves you. Let them be your siblings Nneka. Please, you can't begin to imagine the pain they've been facing not knowing where you live and all that. I felt that pain too Nneka, always worrying my head about you, Ada and Zara. Wondering how they're coping, whether they've eaten or even if you all are alive!" Aunty was at the verge of tears. "Please Nneka. I'll make sure this news stay between us, just the four of us. Your mum won't know. I promise"

Mum was quiet for sometime, and with so much hesitation nodded to Aunty's pleas.

Aunty hugged her briefly before hurrying out of the room, obviously to speak with Uncle Stan.

Minutes later she was back.

"And?" Mum was quick to ask as she walked in.

"Done. He agreed to us not telling your mother. His afraid she might run off to use the information as a weapon of bring in you and Emy together" Mum nodded.

"And Tobe" She asked after a while.

"Your sister is very much excited. She said she'll come visit you in my house once you've settled in." Mum smiled, the truest smile I've seen on her face for a long time now.

"Thank you Mma. You're a true friend" She said, pushing aunty to pull her ears.

"Even though you sometimes make me want to smack you" Aunty joked and we all laughed.
******

Hi (waves excitedly)

So it's gradually coming up! I mean the part of the story that I love most.

A big thank you to all my readers who were kind enough to click the follow button, I appreciate you all.

For those who gave me a vote bomb, you know voting all the chapters of the story, whewww I salute you all. 👏 👏 That's for a job well-done.

For your messages on my profile, my direct box and all the mentions, I really appreciate.

I'm sorry if I haven't been posting and replying your messages as I used to, please pardon me. I just started school and it's been hectic. Don't mind me, I love learning 😂 😂. No knowledge is a waste you know?

So have fun lovelies

Read and enjoy
Vote and comment
Share and recommend

💃 💃 as I exit the door 😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.5K 3.8K 20
I limped towards the kitchen after sending him an email, that I'm on leave today. I couldn't even able to walk properly as I was feeling sore down th...
2.3K 676 25
*NOT EDITED.* *•••••*I've heard a lot about Abroad. The US specifically... Can you imagine my surprise when my mom told my sister and I one evening...
42.2K 1.4K 65
"I knew it.. I knew you were alive!", he breathes wryly. "I missed y..ou..", he breathed and stretches his arms to wrap around her but she steps back...
1.6K 141 35
The banging starts again but this time a lot louder. I can hear the girls screaming up stairs. I pick up my phone and dial 911. "Hello this is 911 wh...