A Future War ~ Future Au Tom...

By Fangirl-9-1-1

Tom wakes up in a strange room unable to move and with no memory. Waking up in this confused haze surrounded... More

Chapter One: The Awakening
Chapter Two: New People and Places
Chapter Three: Awkward Situations
Chapter Four: How to Make a Soldier
Chapter Five: Bacon
Chapter Six: The Climb
Chapter Seven: The Uninvited Guest
Chapter Eight: Alcohol and Monsters
Chapter Nine: Fiction or Reality
Chapter Ten: A Colorful War
Chapter Eleven: Paintball With Real Guns
Chapter Twelve: Enemies and Regrets
Chapter Thirteen: Inner Demons
Chapter Fourteen: Taming the Beast
Chapter Fifteen: Tom's Always Drunk
Chapter Sixteen: Dangerous Sleep Walking
Chapter Seventeen: Just Like Old Times
Chapter Eighteen: Past Mistakes
Chapter Nineteen: Danger and Destruction
Chapter Twenty: So Much Alcohol
Chapter Twenty One: Hangovers Hurt
Chapter Twenty Two: Paperwork is Stressful
Chapter Twenty Three: Things to Forget and a Night to Remember
Chapter Twenty Four: What is Tord Planning?
Chapter Twenty Five: Playing Dirty
Chapter Twenty Six: All of the Fluff
Chapter Twenty Seven: The Night of A Full Moon
Chapter Twenty Eight: Don't Mess With Tord
Chapter Twenty Nine: Familiar Beginnings
Chapter Thirty: Protect What You Love
Chapter Thirty Two: Epilogue
Q&A To Wrap Things Up

Chapter Thirty One: The End For Now

911 33 49
By Fangirl-9-1-1

Tom's POV:

I shielded my face as the dust settled and the debris stopped falling. As it cleared, I could see that the entirety of the upper level had fallen in uneven and destroyed chucks, so hard, in fact, that it had cracked some of the old cement below it. 

The entire place was a disaster. To the right of me, Paul and Patryck stood stunned and afraid, looking around the room in shock, mentally taking in the damage. Larry was knocked out on the ground as it seemed a support beam had hit him in the head, but besides that, he seemed fine. Bing was on top of a small pile of rubble, groaning in agony and attempting to brush the rubble off him. I was afraid to look in front of me, knowing very well what I might find. Everyone else was okay, though, right? And it's Tord we are talking about here. Out of anyone, he would be the one to-.

I turn following Paul and Patryck's worried line of sight. I froze. There was a larger piece of the upper level with a leg sticking out and a small pool of blood beginning to collect around it. That's when I felt it break. 

It was the same feeling when I broke free from the Tord's trace to not shoot Edd. Chains that had been previously controlling my movements instantly snapping as reality crashed in violently. A pure rush to save a life I cared about, even if I was realizing it too late. I couldn't just forget everything that happened between us. Maybe I was weak and gave in to emotions. In the end, though, it was what made me strong. And what gave me the freedom to be in control of myself.

Still in my monster form, I run forward, lifting the slab off Tord and throwing it across the room as if it weighed nothing. With both the pure adrenaline pumping through me and my monster strength, it made it a lot easier even though it probably weighed a ton. Literally. 

It was cast aside to reveal Tord weakly smiling at me. His robot arm was sparking with a large crack running through it, showing exposed wires. As soon as the chunk of rubble was removed, it fell limply at his side. He may have been able to stop the rocks pressure barely enough to save him. I hoped and prayed that was the case. I couldn't tell where he was bleeding from, but there was a fair amount of blood collecting under him. 

I ran to his side, kneeling next to him. His eye was half lidded, and blood trickled down from his excuse of a grin he was trying to pull.  

"Tord?"

"Heh... Look at you... My technology still isn't good enough to control you." He winced. "Eh... but if only I wasn't so good all the same..." He chuckled, which faded into a cough.

"You're just too much of a genius."I smile. "And because of that, you're going to be okay, okay, you idiot?" 

For the first time since I met Tord, I saw true pain on his face. I don't think it was because of his injuries either. It was emotional pain. Regret, guilt, hopelessness, and on and on it went. 

"No, Tom... I'm messed up. I'll never stop, and it will never be enough for me. This is the only way the war will end. The only way the world can live in peace again." He croaked. I had no idea how he was able to get all of this out. I mean, I had no idea how bad his injuries were, but all the same, it was concerning enough. 

"Tord, stop. We are going to work this out, okay?" He nodded, but his eyes were pleading, almost begging for something. My mind knew what it was, but I wouldn't accept it. He wanted to die.

Paul and Patryck had joined my side while the other soldiers who were previously told to patrol the area entered after hearing all the commotion. Even though I was back to my human form, I transformed my arms and legs to give me enough strength to gently pick up the now unconscious Tord and quickly but carefully carry him to the trucks. Paul and Patryck assisted me after filling in the other soldiers and instructing them to take care of Larry and Bing, who were handcuffed and taken as prisoners. 

We piled into the trucks and sped off back towards the base that I had previously never wanted to return to. Now, I didn't want to be anywhere else more. I carefully supported Tord through all the bumps and quick turns as the truck lurched and jumped. Paul and Patryck, especially, I could tell were trying to stay strong but were obviously concerned for not only their leader but also their son. 

It was hard for me to stay calm. I could literally feel Tord slowly dying on top of me. His breaths came out ragged and were getting more and more shallow. His pulse was weak against my fingertips and was hard to make out at all with the roar of the truck barely not taking over it. 

"Tord, I don't know if you can hear me, and this may sound cliche as hell." I paused, trying to keep it together for him. He tried to save me and might die because of it. Because of me. I left and hurt those around me. Again. Just like with Edd and the rebellion. "You may have done a lot of bad, but you're capable of so much good too. Just... You have never given up before... Don't start now." 

He didn't have any response, and it was illogical to expect one in his unconscious state. Yet, I couldn't help but wish for a miracle. He survived the robot crash. He can survive this, too, right?

We arrived at the base, and I wasted no time. I scooped up Tord once more, ignoring the rush questioning soldiers as I flew past them to the medical ward with limp Tord in my hands. 

"Help! I need help!" I yelled desperately upon entry. Almost immediately, I see the doctor poke his head out of one of the rooms. 

"You'll have to wait a second. I'm with- OH MY-." His eyes widened upon realization of what was going on. There, I was covered in blood and half in monster form with their leader, hopefully not dying in my arms. Just like that, the doctor was moving, sprinting down the hall to retrieve more members of the medical team and stretcher. I carefully set Tord down, not wanting to let go. The rest of the medical team rushed off to the medical rooms meant for more serious injuries while I briefly stopped the doctor. I grabbed his lab coat, balling it in my massive purple fist, not daring to look up to him. I didn't want to scare him too much, but I didn't have too much control over my emotions, to say the least. 

"Do. Whatever you have to. To save him." With that, I let him go, and he sped off, not wanting to spend another second in my wrath. We all unfortunately knew what my monster side was capable of. 

My worries were quickly metastasizing into anger, like bubbles expanding inside me, preparing to explode. I was just angry. Angry at everything. Angry the world was like this and angry that things had to change and come to this. To this moment. I was angry at Tord, but at the same time, I couldn't lose him. 

I loved him.

And I hated it. 

I never understood emotions, but he twisted them up so much to where I wouldn't even know which way was up and which was down anymore. I wanted to go tear into Bing, as if it would somehow save Tord. Why did Tord have to risk his life for me like that? 

As much as I would love to come out and play Tommy, you need to calm down. Not that I care or anything, but you won't be helping anyone if you lose it right now. 

I tried taking a deep breath, but it didn't help. It felt like I was suffocating even though I had plenty of air to breathe. The tightness in my chest was unbearable. 

Tommy... I'm serious...

"Just. Shut up! Shut up!" I didn't even care. I yelled it out, as loud as I could as if it would help drown out the reality that was so deafening around me. Every noise, every feeling was just too much, I especially couldn't take the voices in my head. 

I collapsed to my knees and put my hands over my ears as if it would somehow help. If somehow it would stop everything. I felt a hand on my back, causing my "eyes" to shoot open. I didn't even realize they were squeezed shut before. I could see the purple smoke at the edge of my vision, swirling around my head.

Patryck kneeled down to be eye level with me while Paul stood soundlessly with a hand on my back. 

"Thank you." Pat simply said with Paul nodding in agreement. I nodded back weakly, and it took everything I had to not break down right there. I could see the sadness in their faces, too. They were worried, and so was I. As much as we all know how strong Tord was, we all knew. He wasn't invincible. 

"Tom, you should get some rest. You've been through a lot..." Paul offers, actually seeming concerned.

"I can't. Not with the condition Tord is in. I couldn't possibly -" With all the emotions flowing through me, I could hardly feel the pinch at my neck. 

"I'm sorry Tom, we can't risk you going monster on us, and you won't help anyone by doing this to yourself." 

At first, I was confused as to what Paul meant, but then I began to piece it together as the world slowly began to fade to black. Again. 

Tord's POV:

Emptiness. I was floating in nothing. I didn't feel anything. 

It was peaceful but terrifying all the same. 

I'm dying, aren't I? 

It would be so easy to let go. What was I fighting for anyway? I don't even remember anymore. My plans have been turned so upside down that I don't even recognize them anymore. In the past weeks, I have felt emotions and human emotions that I thought I was too broken to experience before. I felt alive. But all the same, I'm a monster, and I know it too. What happens after if and when I recover? How will things be between Tom and I?

Part of me just wants it all to be over. 

  " You have never given up before... Don't start now."

Tom's voice. Crisp and clear as it echoed in my head. If not for me or whatever plan I once had, then I should fight for him. Stay for him. I won't leave again. Not like last time. I won't make that mistake again. I may not even be able to fight my way through this, but I sure will try to. 

I had to. For him. 

Tom's POV:

I jolt up into a sitting position, completely drenched in sweat. Looking around the room, I am back in my room at the Red Army base in clean clothing in my warm bed. Good. It was only a nightmare.

I quickly push the blankets off of me and jump out of bed. Everything is okay, right? I'll go into Tord's office, and he will be there with some new crazy plan or game or... It doesn't even matter, anything would be better than the nightmare I just had. Or what I hope to be a nightmare. 

Not wanting to waste another second, I sprint out of my room and take the short run to Tord's office, which was thankfully nearby. I swing open the door, not bothering to knock and not in the mood to worry about whether or not anyone, mostly Tord, would care. Relief fills me when I see the figure in red typing on his computer. 

"Oh, thank god, Tord. I had this nightmare where you -" The chair turns to reveal Paul with a lit cigarette hanging from his mouth. He, too, seemed tired and worn down. The pit that was in my stomach reappeared, but this time, it was bigger and deeper before. If not for the fact that I haven't eaten anything in a while, I may have thrown up. "Where's Tord? Please tell me he's alright. How long have I been out? Why - How could you knock me out when Tord was in danger. I should be there for him. Where is he?"

Paul sleepily blinks at me, waiting for me to get it all out of my system. Once I was done bombarding him with questions and concerned, he took a large huff of smoke and then spoke slowly.

"You needed rest and would not have done Tord any good by killing yourself through worrying as much as you were. Tord is currently in the hospital wing recovering. He, too, woke up about an hour ago. I'm just taking care of things in the meantime." 

I didn't need to hear anymore. I didn't even bother to acknowledge anything he said, I just wanted to see Tord. Once more, I was sprinting down the halls, not even caring that all of my questions weren't answered. I only wanted to know if Tord was okay. I whipped my head back and forth so quickly as I ran that it would probably hurt later, checking each hospital room for the Norwegian. 

I eventually spot him in one of the very last rooms down the hall, chatting quietly with Pat, who was sitting in a chair by his bed. Both men stopped and turned to me a matching, slightly shocked expression covering both of their faces. The only difference was that Tord was also lit up with glee. 

It was like a scene from the movies. We stared at each other from across the room for a moment in pure awe and disbelief. As well as just relief to see that the other was alive and okay. Then my legs moved, taking me to my other half. I pull him into a warm embrace, not even caring that there were others in the room. 

"Ow... Tom... Hehe... I missed you too." Tord chuckled under me. I quickly released afraid of doing any damage to the injured male. He gave me a half smile as he winced ever so slightly. 

"I'm just... I'm so glad you're okay." I sighed. I didn't care about what had happened before. I couldn't possibly think about it anymore. Tord might have thought of it, though, as his usual grin shrunk into a small frown that looked unnatural on his usually confident and prideful face. "Hey, it's okay. We're together now and I'll stay in the army as your assistant. I could -"

"Tom." I turn to Patryck, who I honestly forgot was even still there. "There are some things we need to discuss." He motioned to the door, and I followed. The last thing I wanted to do was leave Tord, but the urgency in Patryck's voice as he spoke was alarming. Once out of the room, Patryck's face softened immensely. Everything about his composure rebuilt the pit inside me, making me very on edge. 

"As you know..." He spoke slowly as if trying to process his own words coming out of his mouth. "Red L- Tord, had taken quite the beating in saving you and was not in great condition when he arrived back at the base."

"Y-yeah. But he's fine now. He was awake and smiling like the idiot he is. He's okay." I stammer, shaking slightly from the anxiety, causing my chest to tighten like before. 

"Yes, he is awake now, but..." He took a deep breath. I could tell things were hard on him. I hated it because I feared the reason behind it. "When he got here... his ribs were completely broken, and one of them punctured one of his lungs, causing them to fill with blood. We were able to drain out the blood and get him stable again, but he needs surgery to get things back to normal in his body. The only issue is... after years of war and smoking, his lungs aren't strong enough to last through the procedure."

"I... I don't... Tord..." I was just mumbling words at this point, not knowing what to say. I didn't understand. I did kind of, but I wouldn't accept what I was hearing. I peaked in the window of Tord's room to confirm what Patryck was saying. Tord was just acting strong while I was in there, but now I can see the grey tint to his face and the tiredness in his eye. He looked like he was...

"Tom... Tord is dying." 

"I killed Tord... If I hadn't shot him down with that harpoon or if I..." I sobbed, but no tears fell. It just came out as strangled cries. I expected Patryck to hate me, to yell at me, but instead, he just gave me a small yet comforting hug.

"It's not your fault..."

Tord's POV:

I know I didn't have long left  and I know that's what Patryck took Tom out to tell him. The doctors had filled me in on everything as soon as I had woken up. I fought to live only to prolong the inevitable. At least I could see Tom again. I have the chance to say goodbye and tell him that everything will be alright. 

After a few minutes, Tom returned without Paul. He was silent and solemn. I was the one dying, but it hurt to see him like that. It hurt more than any of the things going wrong inside of me. He grabbed my good hand, taking it in his as he sat on the end of my bed, rubbing small circles on the back of it with his thumbs. 

My robot arm was destroyed, and there wasn't really any point in me getting a new one. Who knows how long I had left. Hours? Minutes? Thinking about it didn't make me sad. I had almost accepted death before. I just... hate leaving Tom. Especially like this. 

His head was facing towards our hands, but he seemed lost. His visor was blank, not showing anything at all except the blackness of the screen. That reminded me. 

"Tom, did you recover the device that monitors your visor from Bing?" I break the silence, surprising Tom slightly. He nods and pulls it out of his vest pocket, placing it in my hand. "Thank you." I grunt as I try to get up, only to be pushed back down by Tom as he lightly placed a hand on my chest. 

"Tord, what are you doing? You need to relax and conserve your energy." He pleaded. He was worried. It didn't take being a genius to figure that much out.

"Tom, I know the condition I'm in. I know I'm dying, but my time is up, and I can't have you getting controlled again. Especially when I'm not there to save you." Tom was seemingly taken back by how blunt and firm I was. It was the truth, though. Moping in bed wouldn't change anything. 

With quite a struggle, I stood and limped over to the nearby computer and plugged in the device. With only a few keystrokes, I completely erased any and all of the programming for mind control. I looked back to Tom, who, if I didn't know better, looked like he was going to cry. If I knew Tom, which I do, he would blame himself if, no when, I die. I don't want him to feel all that guilt he didn't deserve. I finished up and sat back on the bed beside Tom, slowly easing back down on my back to lay down. I coughed and tried to control my breathing. Any amount of movement made it very difficult to breathe as my body used up the oxygen faster than I could take it in. Tom laid next to me and stared right up at the ceiling. 

"I'm so sorry, Tord. If I were stronger or smarter, you wouldn't be..."

"Shhh... No, don't say that. Tom, it's not your fault. If I didn't do the things I did, I wouldn't have gotten myself into this situation. I'm really not the best of people if you haven't noticed." I bit my lip and weakly attempted to pull him closer.

I know what I have to do so Tom can be happy again and have a normal life. I know what guilt feels like and it tears you up inside. It makes you cold and harsh. I don't want that for Tom, but all the same I feel guilt because of it. He opened his mouth to argue again but I shushed him once more. 

"Tom... It's okay... Shh" I found myself actually crying. A few tears slid down my cheek and Tom reached up wiping them away. I coughed again, a bit harder than before. It actually hurt this time. This is it. I held up the device once more, looking between it and Tom. 

"Tord, what is it?" I think he saw the concern on my face.

"Tom..." I didn't know what to say. I knew time was ticking fast. I could feel it, the life slowly leaving my body like my soul slipping away. There were so many things I wanted to say and so many things I wanted to apologize for or explain. Honestly, I didn't want to rule the world anymore. Not if it meant I could stay with Tom. But instead... "I'm sorry. I love you..." The last words came out raspier than I thought they would. I had to strain to get it out. Everything began to hurt more. I had to do it now. Tom gave me a confused look. He had no idea.

I looked at him one last time, taking all of him in. I can't believe I have to leave him. All my limbs began to feel heavy, yet I managed to keep my arm up so I could see the device on my hand. 

"Goodbye..." I whispered, and then I hit the button. The button to take away his pain and free him. With that, Tom went limp next to me. My heartbeat began to slow, causing the heart monitor to flash and beep loudly, alerting staff. It was a scary thing, really. Feeling and hearing yourself slowly die. Paul, Patryck, and the doctor all came in shortly, a gloomy and heavy feeling lingering above them all. 

"Get Tom to Edd, Matt and the others before he wakes up.." I barely manage to croak out. Paul and Pat nod, not even questioning what happened. They probably could tell by the look on my face because it hurt to do it to him again. When deleting the programming for mind control, I came across the same program that took away memories. I couldn't have him live with the guilt and pain. He needed a normal life or as close to normal as he could possibly get. I didn't want him to drink his emotions away like he did after the first time he left. Not again. He would remember everything except the things that happened between us after the incident. He will remember the old Tord. The traitor Tord. He will know of the war and "red leader" but will have no connections to that man he never knew. It hurt to think he wouldn't remember us, that he would hate me, the old me, but it felt better knowing he wouldn't blame himself for my death. "Thank you..."

Pat squeezed my hand lightly before the two males lift Tom up and take him as they were instructed. They always were loyal soldiers and good fathers.

"Do you want anything?" The doctor asked me. I shook my head. It was time, and I don't think anything would change how it went at this point. "It was a pleasure serving you." He nodded before walking out to leave me in peace. 

I reflected on my life, on all my goals I had once upon a time, and all I did accomplish. I thought about how much I changed over the years and how much fun life used to be with my friends. I thought about how invincible I used to feel because I was "The Terrifying Red Leader." I am now realizing that no one is truly invincible nor above everything. Not even my legacy I worked so hard to build will last. I think about Tom. Everything I did to him but also what we had. He was one of the only things I didn't regret.

Tom was the last thing I thought about before I inevitably faded away.

**********************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.8K 240 36
(This fanfic is based off an amazing animation shown in the first chapter) Tord has overthrown the city, thousands dead at his hands, Tom by standing...
129K 3.7K 56
Tom was kidnapped, separated from edd and Matt and took in by tord himself. He was forced to join the army and he found himself getting used to it...
20.4K 635 30
Tord has lived in the army base for a couple of years before he wanted to move back to his friends house. But there was a catch Tord never thought a...
5.1K 185 29
ok so this is a tomtord story and basically its after the end and when tord got back to the red base he took a nap and well got memory loss so yee wh...