Betrayal: Book 3 of the Guard...

By AuthorJMColes

#1 Romance Fantasy and #2 Superwoman - highest ranking. Alex and the dragon brothers return to Earth only to... More

Copyright notice
Betrayal - Prologue
Chap. 1.1 Gabe vs. Alex
Ch. 1.2 Not Buying What You're Selling
Ch. 1.3 Jabs Back and Forth
Ch. 2.1 RenFests and Dragons
Ch. 2.3 Dances With Dragons
Ch. 3.1 No More Four Letter "L" Word
Ch. 3.2 Release Me
Ch 3.3 Reboot The Mission
Ch. 4.1 Shirts And Wings
Ch. 4.2 When The Past Catches Up With You
Ch. 4.3 Hello, Razz!
Ch. 5.1 Hello Complications!
Ch. 5.2 Razz Picks A Side
Ch. 5.3 Warpath
Ch. 6.1 A Natural
Ch. 6.2 It Starts To Unravel
Ch. 6.3 When You Kill Your Friends
Ch. 7.1 When It Starts to Implode
Ch. 7.2 Implosion Continues
Ch. 7.3 Love Stinks
Ch. 8.1 From Implosion to Explosion
CH. 8.2 Honestly
Ch. 8.3 From Explosion to Nuclear
Ch. 9.1 The Destruction Left Behind
Ch. 9.2 Casualties
Ch. 9.3 Ashes
Ch. 10.1 To Be or Not To Be
Ch. 10.2 Is the Safe House Safe?
Ch. 10.3 A Stupid Thing
Ch. 11. 1 Compromised
Ch. 11. 2 Talking Crazy
Ch. 11.3 Amnesia...The Way Out
Ch. 12.1 Slow Healing
Ch. 12.2 Movie Marathon Time!
Ch. 12.3 Time for Rile's Plan
Ch. 13.1 Rile's Plan Unleashed
Ch. 13.2 Fallout
Ch. 13.3 Called To Another World
Ch. 14. 1 Can't Control Myself
Ch. 14.2 The Morning After
Ch. 14.3 Burns, Orange Juice, and Vodka
Ch. 15.1 The Golden Repair
Ch. 15.2 Reboot The Mission Redeaux
Ch. 15.3 Timeline Jumping
Ch. 16.1 Does Love Conquer All?
Ch. 16.2 Never Ask Why
Ch. 16.3 Part A and B Honeymoon in Niagara Falls ... Or Not
Ch. 17.1 Early Morning Happenings [full chapter]
Ch. 17.2 Finding Na
Ch. 17.3 A&B Camping with Na
Ch. 18.1 Fighting for Na
Ch. 18.2 Going Home with Na
Ch. 18.3 Return To Earth
Ch. 19.1 This Is Goodbye
Ch. 19.2 Take A Chance?
Ch. 19.3 All In
Ch. 20.1 How To Train Your Dragon To Love You

Ch. 2.2 Oh No!

346 51 276
By AuthorJMColes

A/N: Please listen to the YouTube video of "Oh No" to understand what Cale and Rile are talking about

*****

Rile and Alex walked in the New Orleans night, listening to the crickets and katydids humming their songs. The katydids' song would swell, peak, and then fall to a momentary silence before restarting.

A soft breeze kept the mosquitoes away and cooled the humid night. Night jasmine scent played peek-a-bo with their noses, coming and going before it grew too strong.

Once out of the French Quarter, the giant live oak branches arched over the broken sidewalks.

"You ready to fly or you need to keep walking those martinis off?" Rile asked after half an hour.

Alex shrugged.

"Can you speed-burst all the way to the carriage house?"

She shook her head. "Too far."

"How far can you speed-burst?"

"A block or two, at most."

"So we need to walk that close to the carriage house. Cale may be the best tracker on Olam, but I can evade my brothers when I want. So they patrol two blocks north of Dr. Dewey's house to two blocks south of Tulane. Stay close to me and follow my lead."

They strolled a while longer, until Rile grabbed Alex's hand, pulled her down a driveway, and pressed them against a house.

In her slightly inebriated state, Alex giggled. Rile clapped his hand over her mouth.

"What is wrong with you?" he hissed and she giggled again. "You choose now to act silly?"

She nodded and sputtered a laugh through his hand. He rolled his eyes and she mumbled something.

"What?" he hissed, removing his hand, "Whisper."

"It's hide and seek," she whisper-giggled. "We're naughty kids and daddy Gabe will be so maaaaddd if he catches us."

Rile put his hand back over her mouth. He lifted his muzzle and sniffed the breeze. "No scent of them. We're upwind. Only one more block to go before we're in speed burst distance. Follow me." He strode down the driveway to the sidewalk.

The breeze shifted, Rile sniffed, and froze. "They're close." He pulled Alex down another driveway and dragged her into a crouch behind a gardenia bush.

The scent of the flowers was strong but not cloying. They heard footsteps and Rile covered Alex's mouth as a precaution.

They could see Gabe stride into view. He stopped, sniffing, and turned in a circle. Rile and Alex both froze.

Then Cale trotted up, spoke to Gabe in a low voice, and they walked off together. Rile and Alex exhaled.

They watched until they were out of view. Rile motioned Alex to be quiet and they snuck out of the bush.

They walked a block north, then two west. Once they were one block from the carriage house, Alex speed-burst them to the second story landing. She unlocked the door and opened it, but before Rile could enter, turned quickly and placed a hand on his chest.

"If I'm silly drunk, you need to go home. Good luck with Gabe." She smiled sweetly before she shut the door in his face.

***

The next day in the brothers' apartment, Cale watched his younger brother fiddling with his smart phone. At long last, he asked, "What are you doing?"

"I asked Alex to turn on home sharing so that I could listen to her music. You can learn a lot about a female by her music." Rile scrolled down the screen. "'Disturbia' by Rihanna, that's no surprise. 'Untouched' by the Veronicas might be interesting. Hmm, "Promises," "Pound the Alarm," "Reboot the Mission", "E.T." What's this "Oh no"?"

"Play it," Cale said.

"Get your own music," Rile retorted.

"You owe me."

"I do not."

"I scented you and Alex a mile away last night. Do you think you got past Gabe on your own? I distracted him until you entered our apartment."

"Fine." Rile hit play.

The brothers listened in grim silence. When it finished, Rile stopped the musicl

"I found Alex's theme song," said Rile.

"That's horrible," Cale replied. "It's supposed to be a warning. Play the other songs."

*****

Gabe walked into their apartment hours later to find Cale slumped on the couch, alone, hide paled, wings covering his face. Alarmed, he rushed to his middle brother and gripped his shoulders.

"Cale, what's wrong? What happened? Where are you hurt?"

Cale shook himself out of his reverie and furled his wings. "I'm not physically hurt. I listened to Alex's music and it wounded my soul."

"How does music do that?" Gabe sat next to him.

"Rile asked Alex for her music so that he could learn about her. He was right."

"Rile was right?" Gabe didn't hide his disbelief.

"Yes, he was," Cale said in rare anger. "You shouldn't dismiss him out of hand. Maybe if you cared enough about Alex, you would listen to her music as well." Cale stood up. "Excuse me."

"Since when do you talk to me that way?" Gabe stood as well.

"Since Father died," Cale said. "Since our whole clan was murdered and you're acting crazy around Alex."

"I know what I'm doing," Gabe replied, posture stiff. "Don't question me."

Gabe watched as Cale stalked out. Gabe then walked into their bedroom to find Rile lounging on the bed, staff at his feet.

"Rile, I want to listen to Alex's music." Gabe loomed over his brother.

"How's it feel to want?" Rile didn't look up from his tablet.

"I wasn't asking you a question."

"I wasn't answering one. I was asking you one." Rile stood and laid his tablet by the bed. He stood muzzle to muzzle to Gabe. "You want Alex's music? Fight for it."

"What?" Gabe pushed him away.

Rile picked up his staff. "Sparring, Perfect Eldest Son. Let's go." Rile snatched up his tablet and walked to the training room, which was simply half their living room that they had partitioned. Once there, he plugged it into the small speaker and turned to face Gabe.

Gabe plucked a staff from the staves on the wall. Rile tapped the screen and Gabe was assaulted with sound as well as Rile's staff. Gabe received a hard knock from his youngest brother before his defenses went up. He blocked the next few thrusts but a change in the loud music startled him and Rile swept his feet.

Gabe landed hard but rolled before Rile could land another strike. Gabe scrambled to his feet and Rile swatted him. Gabe hiss-growled and launched himself at his youngest brother. Rile back stepped, staff a blur, clacking against his enraged brother's.

"Maybe this one's about you," Rile taunted as the words to "Untouched" filled the air. He landed a strike on Gabe's arm as his brother listened.

"Shut up," Gabe hissed.

"Certainly. You can listen better. Wait until "Disturbia". You'll love that one."

Cale walked into the apartment and asked, "Why is the music so loud?" He blinked at the sight of his brothers fighting. "This should be good."

Gabe thrust at Rile, who parried it.

"I took your advice," Gabe said. "I asked Rile for Alex's music." He aimed a blow at his brother's head, who knocked it aside and swung at his brother.

"He didn't ask. He ordered. I told him he had to fight for it." Rile lunged at his brother.

"I'll keep score," Cale said. "How many strikes each?"

"I've landed five on Perfect Eldest Son so far." Rile blocked a riposte.

"That many? Are we going to seven?"

Gabe launched a series of strikes at Rile. None landed, but Rile lost ground. The dark tones of 'Disturbia' filled the air.

"Y'all are becoming perfect New Orleans residents." Alex peeked in the training room. "Loud music and louder thumps."

Rile jabbed Gabe and swept him to the ground. "Six and seven. I win."

Gabe jumped to his feet. "Alex, your music is atrocious. These lyrics are poisoning your mind. Stop listening to it."

Alex put her hands on her hips. "Excuse me, father, if you don't approve." She glared at Rile. "This is what comes of trusting you with home sharing." Alex yanked her smart phone out of her pocket and tapped on it furiously. "That's over." She turned to leave.

"Wait, we want to help." Cale touched her shoulder but Alex shrugged his hand off.

"Worked really well. Why don't you explain to Gabe why he can't order me around about what music I listen to." Alex walked out and Cale blocked Gabe's way so he couldn't follow her.

"I like your music." Rile ran after her. "Let's go dancing. Some place that plays "Disturbia" or "Oh No"."

"I'm more in the mood to pound thugs," Alex replied.

"Why not both?"

Alex crossed her arms on her chest and cocked her head, gazing up at him.

"We have to find thugs somewhere. Where better than where they're playing that music? We can poison our minds, have fun, and find thugs to pound."

"I'll change into appropriate clothing."

*****

Alex stalked out in her black leather pants, low heeled black boots with crisscrossed chains, red satin shirt, and a leather vest studded with spikes. "Interferes with knives," she explained. "I hate knives more than guns."

"Smart. Let's fly express before Perfect Eldest Son decides to lecture."

"The back way." Alex grabbed Rile's hand and hauled him there, before shooting off the small back stoop.

*****

As they walked the streets, Alex explained how to tell the gay bars from the straight to Rile.

"This looks like it has the potential for predators." Alex watched the entrance of one bar.

Rile shouldered his way through the people and Alex hurried to keep up. He slipped the bouncer money and they were in. Alex nodded toward the bar and Rile slid through the crowd. More money and two drinks were theirs.

"Drink it quick and dance," Rile said.

"Mr. Fun is also bossy." Alex slammed the drink in one shot.

She grinned wickedly at Rile's expression before making her way to the dance floor one hip at a time. It was Rile who had to hurry to keep up with her. Alex raised her arms over her head and swayed to the throbbing music. Rile admired her and copied some of her motions as best he could.

"I was a dancer first," Alex said. "A good one."

"I believe that."

"It was a gateway to hell." Alex spun around. "First a little bump and grind, then shed a little more and a little more clothing, next thing you know, your drink is drugged and you're being held down in the back room by five guys."

"I'm sorry about that." Rile's gaze bored into her. "Point them out and I'll kill them for you."

"Maybe I already took care of them. Most of the time I can't remember it anyway. Besides, who saved Gabe?" Alex shrugged and turned her back to him. "Anyway, it was a long time ago. Another lifetime. I'm not a princess to be saved. Now I do the saving. Speaking of which, look at that."

"That human female looks young to be here."

"Young physically and spiritually. Look at those eyes," Alex said. "You've never seen a rescue mission." She turned back to him and encircled his neck. "Watch and learn. You're backup. Don't let anyone get away."

Alex laid her head on his chest and closed her eyes. When she pushed away, there were tears in her eyes.

She made her way through the crowd to where the young teenage girl was backed against the wall. A thug in obligatory baggy pants, backwards baseball hat, long basketball jersey, and adorned with thick gold chains and rings, towered over her.

"What are you doing?" Alex wailed at the thug. "I thought you loved me!"

Rile almost choked.

"What?" Thug turned in surprise.

"What are you doing with her? You said I was the only one!" Alex threw herself on the thug. "You said you loved me!"

Rile hid his smile.

"Get away from me." Thug threw her off.

"What? Now it's get away from me? After what we shared?" Alex's wail turned up a notch. "I gave you my virginity!"

The teenage girl inched away. More than a few people stared. Some sniggered.

"I ain't never seen you before! You crazy!" Thug backed off a few steps.

"Never seen me? That's not what you said the last few nights!" Alex threw herself at Thug again, but he dodged. "I gave myself to you! You were my first! My only!"

Now more than a few people laughed. The teenage girl started to walk away and Thug tried to grab her arm. Alex grabbed his arm instead.

"Now you make me mad, bitch!" Thug snarled and his fist whipped around.

Alex rolled with the punch and fell to the floor in fine dramatic fashion, sobbing. She shot Rile a look to make sure that he didn't interfere. She glanced at teenage girl, who put her hand to her mouth. When the teenage girl ran for the door, Alex nodded and Rile followed her.

Thug started after the teenage girl and Alex fouled his legs. When he fell, Alex drove her palm into his nose.

The crowd cheered, "Fight! Fight!"

Thug struggled up and Alex head butted him back down. Next she elbowed his throat and then her knee in his belly finished him off. She stood and flipped her short hair.

"Never saw me before, indeed. Excuse me." Alex straightened her clothes.

The crowd parted before her as Thug gasped, holding his throat, curled in a ball.

*****

Alex looked right and left when she exited the bar. She heard a short whistle and followed it. Rile flashed his sword and Alex hurried to catch up.

"There she is. Now what?" Rile asked.

"The hard part," Alex sighed. "I'm not good at this." She took a deep breath and caught up to the girl. "Hey."

The girl startled and turned around. "Don't want any trouble." She ducked her head.

"I won't give you any trouble," Alex said. "He was trouble. You see that?"

The girl nodded.

"What's your name?"

"Amalia."

"That's pretty. I'm Alex. Where are you staying?"

The girl shrugged.

"That's never good," Alex said. "It's none of my business why you ran away but it's my business to keep you out of the hands of thugs like that. Let me take you somewhere safe. You got anywhere like that?"

"If I did, would I be here?"

"You're a dumb teenager," Alex snapped. "I can tell you haven't been beaten and raped enough yet, so you must have some options. Think. Aunts? Uncles? Cousins?"

The girl stepped away from Alex. "Leave me alone."

Alex put her hands on her hips. "You think thugs like that are going to leave you alone because you ask? You are nothing but fresh meat to them. Meat for them to use and abuse, chicky. I'm here to rescue you out from their grubby hands. So again, I ask, think of some options. Any family at all? How about close friends? If not, it's off to a shelter or the police."

"The police?" the girl stared at her.

"You ripped off my purse, you little creep," Alex said. "I'll press charges, too. You'll be safer in jail than out here. Then the police call your parents and you're off the streets."

"That's a lie!"

Alex fake gasped and put her hand on her chest. "A lie! Oh no! There are bad people here on the streets of New Orleans! It's not like on TV! Help! Help! Where's Superman when you need him?" Alex looked around. "Don't see him. What's your choice? Family, friend, shelter, or police?"

"My aunt lives on the West Bank," the girl admitted.

"Rile, cab!" Alex called out.

The girl startled and looked around.

"Didn't know you had been followed, did you?" Alex said. "You are so freaking helpless. Just a tender little pet for the monsters to gobble up. You have no idea what was awaiting you. Watch a movie about gang rape and tell yourself that could have been you, sweetie pie."

Rile hailed a cab. "Over here."

"After you, honey child." Alex made a sweeping motion to the cab.

The teenage girl walked to the cab, frequently looking at Alex with wide eyes.

"Rile, please get in first. Then you, Amalia, then myself. You can tell the driver the address."

It was a silent trip in the cab. Amalia peeked up at Rile, who spared her a disapproving glance. At the destination, a modest one story wood frame house, Alex paid the driver and they piled out of the cab.

"Rile, please wait at the curb. I'll escort Amalia to the door. Amalia, what's your aunt's name?"

"Evangeline, but I call her Aunt Eva."

Alex climbed up the sagging steps to the warped wooden porch and knocked on the door with peeling paint. "Ms. Evangeline?" Alex asked the woman who answered.

The thin woman reeked of tobacco smoke and her grey shot brown hair was tied in a bun. "Yes?" She wrung her bony hands.

"Is this your niece Amalia?"

"Yes. Is there a problem?"

"She ran away from home. Are you willing to keep her safe?"

"We always keep family safe," Evangeline said in a fierce tone that spoke of a protective mama bear behind her thin frame. "What happened?" Evangeline opened the door wider.

"She almost ended up in the hands of a pimp," Alex said. "Dumb teenager. I tried to impress her with the danger of what happened. Did I succeed?" Alex glared down at the cowering girl.

"Yes ma'am."

"Are you the police?" Evangeline asked.

"An agent of justice," Alex said. "I work with the police if I have to. Are we good here?"

"I'll keep her safe." Evangeline straightened and opened her arms to her niece.

Amalia rushed to her aunt, who enfolded her in her arms. Once the crying began, Alex excused herself.

"That went better than expected," Alex said as she walked with Rile down the sidewalk. "Sometimes I blast them unconscious and leave them at the shelter. I suspect that ends badly and they run back to the pimp, so I don't do that much."

"Like you said, she hadn't been raped. She had family as well," Rile said. "Let's go dancing again. You beat up a thug."

"Let's eat first. I don't know the West Bank very well. We'll fly express back to familiar ground." Alex held out her hand.

*****

Dedicated to

Sam_le_fou

New partner via my other book club that kicks the Dragon Editor's butt with its weekly analysis assignments!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.3K 2.9K 37
Forsaken by the one person who was supposed to love her unconditionally, Red must brave the magic and monsters of the Wylds to find her true place in...
278 39 26
The great black dragon warrior had cut himself off from the world he belonged to after being banished from the castle of gods for a crime, that no on...
629K 16.4K 26
She's ruthless, cruel, cold. To her, fear is nothing. Fear doesn't exist. This girl has a reputation big enough to have her name whispered by the big...
43.7K 2.7K 47
In a world where all different creatures roam openly. There is only one rule that holds true. Stay true to your kind. A simple rule to those who we...