Isildilia.(Book 1 of the Whit...

By wingsanddragons

Being different was never a good thing for Isildilia Different got you noticed. ... More

Chapter 1- Discovery at the river
Chapter 2- A street meeting.
Chapter 3- unlikely encounter
Chapter 4-The man with wings
Chapter 5- escape
chapter 6- trip to the palace
chapter 7-painful discovery
chapter 8- the secret is out
chapter 9- identity revealed
chapter 10- start of a long journey
Chapter 11- The wolves of the okina forest.
Chapter 12- Opikina
chapter 13- a dangerous lie
Chapter 14- the Flower Spirits and the Rogue Limim
Chapter 16- Lord Yui and Amithae
Chapter 17- the border between worlds
Chapter 18- the black wolves
Chapter 19 A Dance for me
Chapter 20- Bad communication
Chapter 21- The giant's bridge
Chapter 22- journey up river
Chapter 23- Spirits make a change
Chapter 24- an unexpected reunion
Chapter 25- the true nature of things
Chapter 26- the great gathering
Chapter 27- a long days work ahead.
Chapter 28- The singing of children
Chapter 29- Reckless mistake
Chapter 30- The start of all the danger
Chapter 31- Something they didn't expect to see
Chapter 32- I'm willing to sacrifice.
Chapter 33- True test of survival
Chapter 34- what did they do?
Chapter 35- The truth is out
Chapter 36-FINAL- The Visions
Isildilia.A handy pronouciation guide.

chapter 15- the general

2.6K 168 15
By wingsanddragons

(Picture: Rose) 

            Didn't I tell you that it'd do more harm than good? she said scornfully. Honestly, you should head my warnings more often.

Isildilia was face down on the rock again. She was in too much pain to move, like there was a crushing weight upon her. She found she couldn't even find the energy to make a snippy remark back. When Isildilia didn't respond, the reflection didn't bother to talk to her again. Instead, she started to sing. The flowers and even the air around started to vibrate violently. The melody seemed so familiar, like a song she used to sing as a child. Almost instantly, the pain went away. She sat up. Even the water where her reflection resided was rippling, but her image remained still.

She didn't seem to notice Isildilia, for she carried on singing with her eyes shut.

Suddenly a second voice started to filter through, definitely male. She knew that voice. It was Valin's. He was singing the same song. Did that mean that he could hear this voice inside her? Or was she singing because she could hear Valin?

"Please, wake up," his voice filtered through the air. She wanted to reach out to his voice, but she didn't know where he was.

"Where are you?" she shouted out. She leant right over to her reflection. "How do I get out of here? How can I wake up?" But she didn't respond. She was still singing. "Please!" she begged.

It was so warm and comfortable that she didn't want to move. She shifted so she was deeper in the feathers. Feathers? There weren't any feathers in that field. And she could hear a heartbeat that wasn't hers.

She slowly prised her eyes open. It was still dark, so she assumed not much time had passed. She wasn't lying down, but someone was holding her upright. She could feel their arms holding her tightly. She was guessing already that it was Valin.

They sat at the base of the tree where she'd collapsed. He was fast asleep yet still held her close to his chest, which made her cheeks burn with embarrassment. He looked so peaceful and even still had his smile on his face; deep in his throat he was humming the same song she heard from the field. She didn't want to wake him, yet she needed to make him let go. The situation was making her very uncomfortable.

She looked across to see where Dakelo was. He was past the barrier of flowers, resting against another tree, but she could sense he was awake, for one he wasn't snoring. He had Froyza's head on his lap, who was also fast asleep. She dislodged one of her arms and waved her hand to see if he'd respond. He did.

He raised his head, and stared over. Isildilia didn't like the way he did so. The look of hatred that he directed at them made her shudder. But then she realised he was doing so at Valin. When his eyes travelled to her, he smiled slightly. You ok? he mouthed. She nodded. She tried to pull away, but Valin's grip wouldn't loosen. Help me, she mouthed. Dakelo shrugged and pointed to the flowers in front of him and then at Froyza on his lap.

Can't help. She tried to get out of it again, but to no prevail.

"Valin, let me go!" He stirred, but didn't wake. Realising she might regret it, she used her free hand and slapped Valin on the cheek, a little harder than she intended. The reaction was almost instant.

He leapt up with such force that Isildilia got thrown off onto the grass, winding her. Valin had removed his sword and had it pointed at her face. He stood there panting for a few seconds before he realised that it was her. He almost dropped his sword in surprise. Isildilia got up on all fours. She looked across to Dakelo, who had also drawn his sword. The commotion had also woken up all the spirits in the area. They swarmed like bees to see what had happened. In one swift movement, Valin flipped his sword around and slid it back into its sheath. He crouched down and held out his hand for her to take.

"I am... so sorry," he apologised. Dakelo lowered his own sword, once he was sure the danger was over.

Dawn started to break over the horizon and both Isildilia and Valin flinched as their wings started to retract back into their bodies . Valin let out a shudder, shaking his body loose.

"Much better," he exclaimed. "Shall we be off?" He spoke as if nothing had happened at all. "Ah, before we go, there's someone who wants to meet you properly." In response something leapt off the flower she had created and hovered directly in front of her face. She held out her hand and the spirit landed gracefully on it. It must have been the leader. But she looked completely different. From the brief glimpse she had caught of her earlier, she was old and withered with a dress of purple and pink. But now she had aged backwards; she even looked younger than Rose . Her dress had changed colour to match her new guardian flower, and was longer too. Isildilia felt relieved that she had been able to help .

The leader knelt down and touched her brow to Isildilia's palm. "We are forever in your service, Your Great Highness. I would have revealed my gratitude earlier but you were...well..." Isildilia nodded. "Never has such a thing happened before in my lifetime. I'm unsure how you did it."

"Neither am I," she admitted. She looked at Valin, who frowned in response. She could understand growing the flower a little, but not how that could have had a profound effect on her age. She decided to enquire further. "And how old are you, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Now or then?"

"Then."

"Before now, I was near two hundred."

"Two hundred!"

"Not many of us live that long. The majority live till at least a hundred-and-fifty." That's still a long time, she thought.

Valin let out a sudden clap of his hands. "I'm sorry to break up this conversation, but time waits for no one." The leader bowed to Valin.

"Of course, My Lord, sorry for wasting time." She turned back towards Isildilia, 'but before we depart, we wish to give you something for our eternal gratitude."

"What is it?" She leapt across so she stood on Isildilia's shoulder. Then, with her minute hands, she made a small brush movement on her hair. Then suddenly that area felt heavy, like something was now sitting in her hair. She reached up, carefully as to not hit the leader. There was a large clip in her hair; it had, from what she could feel, a flower decoration. She could see Valin smiling.

"It's enchanted," the leader explained, "and will vibrate if danger is near."

"Thank you."

"No, like I said. It is we who should thank you." She bowed again, as did all the other spirits surrounding it. Isildilia flushed with embarrassment again.

"Let's go," Valin said. Just before they left the clearing, Isildilia shouted back.

"Wait! What is your name?"

"It's Clethicka!"

"So, where are they?" Dakelo asked. They had cleared the lake by that morning and were waiting for Pina and Loik to re-appear. Even Valin was starting to worry.

"It's not like them to be late." He put his fingers to his lips and whistled again. He and Froyza listened intensively, but it looked grim.

"What could have happened to them?" Isildilia asked. In response to that question they both suddenly appeared out in front, galloping towards them with great haste. She glanced to Valin, who still looked worried as they approached.

"What happened? Where were you?" Valin demanded. They both started to neigh and whinny over the top of each other, stamping the ground as they did so.

"Silence!" Froyza barked loudly. Both horses stopped instantly.

"Thank you Froyza. Now Loik, tell me, but slowly." As Loik apparently did so, Valin's face changed to one of pure horror. "Where?" he asked. He turned to Isildilia and Dakelo. "Get on the horses, now!'

"Why? What has happened?" she asked as she leapt up onto Pina, but she didn't get an answer. The rode the fastest they had ever done before. Numerous times she almost fell off from the gallop. Dakelo fared no better. Valin ran by their side and Froyza was out front. Try as she might she couldn't get Valin to explain why the hurry. They soon stopped and Isildilia could see why.

There was a large road, running right through the forest. There was no sign of the trees that once occupied that land and the ground was dusted, so no more plants can grow there. It was a long, straight road, where she couldn't see the destination at either end.

"What on this earth is that for?" asked Valin. "How did I not feel this happening?" Froyza started to sniff around and Valin looked at the faint footprints in the dust. "Definitely human," he confirmed. "But there is something worrying."

"What is it?" asked Dakelo.

"I smell it too," said Froyza, "Some are on horses."

"How is that possible?" Isildilia asked.

"That is what is worrying." Froyza suddenly pricked his ears up staring north up the road..

"Hide!" Valin told him. Within seconds, Froyza was out of sight.

"What's wrong now?" Isildilia asked.

"Just stay still on the side. Don't say anything and let me take care of it."

"Take care of what?' Dakelo questioned. In response, there came a large boom from the northern road. The ground started to vibrate from a thousand pairs of shoes trampling along the ground.

They arrived over the horizon like a dark mass. Valin tensed when he saw them. It wasn't just men. There were also horses just like Froyza had said. Each one rode with heads held high, steps in time, strapped in leather leashes; some were even clad in armour. Behind them were the infantry, the front ones carrying large black pikes, and all dressed in the same black armour as some of the horses. Each had the Kings' mark carved on the breast plate. Even more worrying than that, was what was behind the whole group. There were more horses, dragging some sort of machinery. They were made of wood and metal, and looked like they were folded down for travel.

"What are those?" Isildilia whispered. Valin's hand moved to his sword hilt, his eyes narrowing.

"I don't know, but I really don't like it." As they got closer the army noticed the three of them, and halted automatically. Isildilia could feel her hands shaking with worry; they would have no chance against that many men.

"What shall we do now?" Dakelo whispered; reaching for his sword.

"Just let me handle it," Valin repeated. Just as he was about to approach them, one of the soldiers rode up to them from a side flank. The others parted to let him past, without a sound or flicker of emotion.

His presence scared Isildilia. Unlike every other soldier around him, his armour was much more decorative. His gauntlets were spiked like claws, and his shoulder pads stuck out, holding out his cloak from draping onto his arms. His horse was pitch black, and even wore its own spiked helm. He lifted the visor on his helmet and studied them. His face was that of one who had seen battle many, many times. But despite the marks and aging, he held it with composure. He had a kept beard, typical of military fashion, but his eyes were overbearing. He paid particular attention to Loik and Pina. Isildilia felt a throbbing against her head. Carefully she reached up and touched the spot, then realised it was the clip Clethicka had given her. It was warning her about this man.

"Who are you?" he demanded. "And what are you doing out here?" Valin made a gesture with a nod of the head before he spoke.

"It is courteous to give your name before demanding it of another." The man withdrew his sword with such speed it even made Valin flinch. The man smiled manically and lowered it, pleased with the frightened reaction.

"Very well, I am Juhnik, General of His Majesty's army." Then he lowered his gaze. "Now what are yours?"

"I am Valin This is Koil and Rifill." He tried to portray no emotion when he lied about the names. She guessed that by telling his real name, the other two wouldn't seem to be false.

"Tell me, Valin. How did you tame such a beast?" He pointed a clawed finger at the horses. Valin looked back then turned around to respond.

"With a lot effort and sweat," he simply said. The General's eyes narrowed.

"But to ride them without any harnesses, that takes some serious training." As he spoke he pulled harshly on his reins to lift his horse's head up higher. Loik and Pina flattened their ears in distress.

"Like I said, it took a lot of effort," Valin replied through gritted teeth. The General smiled.

"I will happily pay for such a beast. Will you sell to me?"

"I'm sorry, but they are required to take us to the distant lands."

"But why do you not ride one?" he asked, trying to prise as much information out of them as possible.

"Sadly we were riding through there- " he pointed to the woods from whence the came "–and our party was attacked by wolves. We were the only survivors." The General looked like he didn't believe them. Suddenly a wolf howl broke out behind them, echoing through the air. She recognised it as Froyza, but they all put on a scared act. Even the General looked worried. Silently she thanked Froyza for the perfect timing. It was all it took to convince him

"I feel sorry for your loss," the General lied. "But did you not know about this road?" he indicated below him. They shook their heads.

"We were unaware that this existed. When was this done?" Now it was Valin's turn to investigate.

"We had permission from the King himself to have this constructed. It took a lot of magicians to remove all the parasitic plant life. After that it was easy. We needed it to transport the army from the Niteh fort to the capital." Then he fell silent, not willing to share any more information. "So where are you heading?" He turned the questioning role again.

"North," Valin said simply. Isildilia looked between the two men. Each man was staring at the other with the same cold stare, on edge; like feral dogs meeting a stranger.

"But there is nothing in the North lands, nothing but vicious beasts and demons." Valin was starting to sweat.

"We will travel north, but not that far. We intend to at some point turn east, to avoid the mountains. Heading out to the eastern trading posts, where we hope to resupply." Pina's courage was starting to break. She started to paw the ground and move side to side. They all sensed it was time to move on.

"Sorry to break up this conversation, but we must be off," she interrupted. "We cannot afford to waste precious daylight in this place." The General's gaze turned to her. She wanted to avert his eyes, but something made her stare straight into them. They felt hollow, a stare that had no mercy for anyone or anything.

"A young maiden such as you should learn to keep her tongue well shut." Isildilia looked away; she didn't want to respond to the remark. She could see Dakelo, and even Valin, were struggling to hold themselves back.

"All the same, we'd best be off," Valin finished through his teeth, resisting the urge to respond to the last comment. The General slammed down his visor, hiding his face.

"Stay on the road this time," he told them, and then galloped off. With one command, the mass began to move again, like nothing had even happened. Pina reared slightly off the floor, almost knocking her off. She patted her on the neck.

"It's alright, calm down." They waited the whole time as the army marched past. They paid most of their attention to the machinery being dragged behind. It took an hour for the entire mass to disappear over the horizon. Valin didn't relax until they were completely out of sight.

"I must inform the others immediately," he said, "it's worse than I thought." They let out three short whistles. Something black darted out of the trees and landed on Valin's outstretched arm. It was Litz.

"I knew his Lordship would call when he saw this abomination," the raven cawed.

"You mean you've been following us the whole time?" Dakelo asked.

"Always, in case his Lordship required my services," he cackled. Valin reached into the pouch he carried at his waist and removed a small sheet of parchment and a quill. He wrote a message so fast Isildilia didn't have time to even read it.

"Take this to their Majesties, quickly." Isildilia flinched at the mention of her real parents. Litz flew off at incredible speed and was soon out of sight.

"Let's get going," he told her. Froyza leapt out once it was clear.

"Bad. Bad. Very bad," he whined.

"I know," Valin said.

"What is very bad?" Dakelo asked.

Valin looked around. "Not here," he told them.

They didn't ride that far before they turned off the road and back into the safety of the forest. Eventually they stopped again and Valin told them to dismount and sit down.

"What was so worrying?" Dakelo asked. "Was it the General?"

"Partially. But that's not the only thing that's got me concerned."

"It was those horses,'" Isildilia said . Valin nodded and behind her, Loik and Pina snorted.

"Yes, that's my main concern. Humans had not ridden horses in over a hundred years. Yet, despite the war, they are being like obedient slaves." He sighed. "Every living being has a conscious that, when trained, you can learn to reach out and communicate with them , and hear their voices. I tried that today with those horses and I heard nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Nothing, just...empty darkness, a darkness which can easily be manipulated by man. A darkness whereby the creature's conscious and will is lost and can never be found again." He shuddered. "I looked into many of those horses and every one was the same. Hollow. They, on the other hand- " he pointed to Pina and Loik "- They could easily sense that something was wrong with one of their own kind, without reaching out with their mind."

"How do you learn to contact their minds?" she asked.

"You will be taught in due time," he told her, "one thing at a time." He stood up. "We can still get another few hours of riding before we have to stop for the night."

No one said anything the rest of the way, each locked into their own web of thoughts.

In Isildilia's web, she was coming to a firm decision. Tonight, she would definitely confront Valin. She was fed up of travelling with him when she knew so little about him. Most of the time he wouldn't reveal any true information about her true self, and she wanted answers he always told her must wait until later. If he was supposed to be her current mentor or guardian, he was doing a poor job of it.

Valin almost seemed to know that was what her intentions were, for that evening he kept trying to avoid her. He went out hunting to get the food, and then pretended to be preoccupied with preparing it. After that, he even offered to have sparring practice with Dakelo. She was getting highly agitated. She sat on her own, away from the others. She wanted answers from somebody. Since she concluded she wasn't going to get any here, she decided to ask elsewhere.

What is it this time? You never visit unless you're demanding something else off me. Isildilia didn't have the chance to even open her mouth to speak. She sat down on the very edge of the rock, legs hanging down towards the water.

"I want to talk," she told her. The reflections eyebrow rose up in suspicion.

Just talk? About what?

"I want to know all there is to know."

Well pick somewhere to begin, she sighed.

"How did you know that trying to perform magic will harm me? How did you know how to do magic at all? Who are you, really?"

Ah. The reflection scratched her head. Well, to answer that we must go back to our birth. We were so young when we were bound in this form. Upon our binding we accidently split. Maybe that was because we were too young, that I do not know. After all, we were still only seven months. That is why you cannot remember our purpose. I was the half that contained our memories, the part that knew who we were. I am the part that can already control magic that holds our power, for I have already learnt some basics to that. You are merely the human part of me, the part that... She didn't finish her sentence as she could see Isildilia was upset by it.

"But why didn't you tell me this before, when I asked for your help?'"

Well you demanded to know. So I decided to help, you didn't ask anything else.

"Why do you look different to me?"

Because I was, is...what we used to be. My hair colour and angularity represents what our form would have been if we didn't accidently split.

"So, if it didn't happen, I would have spent my whole life with white hair and sharp teeth?" The reflection nodded. "Well, I'm glad that didn't happen, or I really wouldn't be able to go unnoticed." The conversation just caused more and more questions to jump into her head. "Why did you... we... make that decision?" she asked, getting confused to who she was referring to

I have not experienced war and fighting like the rest of our kind. Yet, I believed as they did, I believed the rumours about me. If I can put a stop to the fighting and bring peace to the land, I will do it. I will grow the forests out of the fields of blood if I must. I will restore the balance. Death be an option if it may. Then the tone became deadly serious.

But I must ask you this question. Why did you follow him?

"Who?"

Valin. After one conversation you followed him, without a fight. I ask you why? In any other situation it would have been a foolish act.

"I don't know," she confessed. "I was scared, I was confused, and he happened to have answers that fit. I don't know. I question it myself every day, feeling dumb and careless for it. Like a lost child being taken by a stranger." She then decided to change topics once more.

"Is there any way in which we can...re-join?" she asked curiously. This "other her" made her nervous, knowing there was someone like that inside her mind. The reflection flicked away a strand of white hair that fell in front of her face.

It is possible. In fact, it has already started. At first you might not have noticed, but it has been happening for the last few days.

"What!" The reflection waved her to come down. Isildilia clambered off the rock and sat down by the flowers at the pool's edge. The reflection was also sitting on her side of the pool in the same position. Isildilia swore the first time she came here she couldn't even get close to the water's edge.

"What is it?" she asked. It couldn't be to whisper a secret in her ear. No one can hear them in here. Then, the reflection reached out to her. Isildilia felt something start to pull on her own arm. Soon she found herself kneeling in the exact same position with her arm reaching out.

"What are you doing?" she demanded. The reflection pulled her hand into the water. The water felt neither cool nor warm and, despite her hand entering it, it didn't ripple. An odd sensation started to crawl up her arm, making her shiver violently. It crept up her arm and onto her face. She flinched from the touch. She looked down and saw her own hand resting on the reflection's face. Then she understood. The cold feeling on her face was the reflection's hand. The hand reached down and brushed the tips of her hair. Then she withdrew and disappeared from view. Isildilia stood up, but no matter how hard she looked, she wasn't there anymore. She pulled her hair forward to look at it. She froze.

The tips of her hair, at least a few finger widths upwards, had turned silvery white. They shone like the white flowers around her. "What did you do?" she shouted out. A breath of wind caused a large ripple in the field. The air hissed with the cry of her laughter.

"Come back!" she cried.

I'm sorry, did you want something else? She looked back down. Her reflection was back again, but there were dark rings suddenly appearing below her eyes.

"Yes, this conversation isn't finished," she growled.

Her reflection groaned. Can't we finish this another time?

"No, I want answers now, not later. I'm fed up not knowing." Her reflection rolled her eyes.

You might as well get comfortable. - Isildilia leapt back up onto the rock-, what else do you want to know?

"What did you just do? You can't just do something weird like that and melt away like it was nothing."

I was merely showing you the change that has already been made. I had been holding back the visible changes, but it was tiring me out.

"I didn't ask for this."

But if I didn't our body wouldn't be able to cope.

"What do you mean?"

Remember at first, when you used to be in so much pain that you would collapse upon our wings emerging? If I didn't start to interfere you would still be in that state, which would have eventually killed you. You do not have the experience that I do in maintaining stable control. Now... is there anything else before we finish?

"But how come I've never seen or heard you until now?"

We were sent to the humans to remain there eighteen years or so, but I was sealed away in a slumber, unintentionally. Something stirred when the time was reached, jostling me awake. But, during that time before, it was like floating and gliding through the air, with no fear of landing or crashing. Then I felt this sting, like that of a bee, and I was flooded with memories, new and old ones, things that I've never done before. They were your memories. It frightened me at first, as I didn't know what had happened and had eighteen years of life suddenly flood me. It almost stripped me of reason as I almost didn't know who I was.

That was when our wings first emerged. It wasn't planned, it just happened and I felt that pain as my own even though I was trapped in this place. After that happened, I realised what I must do. That has led us up to this point. With that explanation Isildilia felt that she had to ask the one question that had been on her mind ever since it all started to happen to her, one question Valin wouldn't answer.

"What manner of creature are we?" She didn't like the silence that followed.

I don't think you'll like that answer. She leant further of the water, making her hair tumble over her shoulders.

"I want to know," Isildilia lied.

You are lying. You can't hide that from me, she wagged a finger at her. It's not the right time for you to know, you are not ready to know.

"You can't hide that from me forever." She tried to take a swipe at the water; her fingertips brushed it, making the water ripple and distorting the image. The reflection spoke before waiting for the water to re-still.

But for now... I can.

tendۏ

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 210 23
Everyone knows that all wolves have soulmates, but some don't know that nymphs are blessed with mates as well. When a nymph meets its mate, its wings...
390K 15.9K 61
//first place Inkitt winner// DEDICATED TO THE MBR BEAGLES AND ALL ANIMALS BRED, SOLD, TORTURED AND SLAUGHTERED AT THE HANDS OF VIVISECTION!! When th...
1.9K 50 36
"I'm glad you were able to break the curse. But now you'll have another one. One only I can break. You won't ever disobey me again Eva Kim. Now you a...
1.2K 91 22
''Never mind, I think we are done here." her lips curled and released a terrifying growl. I stood back. "No, we need to talk this out, Aaliyah. I-" B...