Confusion--[A LOOKISM Fanfict...

By AURIALaChai

A lookism fan finds themselves inexplicably sucked into the Webtoon....as none other than Jay Hong. Cover art... More

The Duck just Happened
Still Don't Know What's Going On
Please Vote
Half Forgotten
I Think I'm Losing Myself

Familiar Faces

2.9K 208 23
By AURIALaChai

Please vote.

I'd grown so used to my pampered life over the past few months that, when I decided to actively search for Daniel, I was startled by the environment of poverty that I found.

The streets were so dirty, the people looked at me either with envious anger, or greedy smirks. I stood a little taller and tried to make myself seem a little more intimidating. It seemed to work to a certain extent. Some of the would be theives and thugs backed off or averted their gazes.

The thing is, I had no idea where Daniel originally lived. I couldn't remember the name of the town. Or did he live in a city?

But I did have servants who werr paid to follow my whims, no matter how random. I could recall what Daniel's house looked like. So, I instructed a few of my people to get me a list of shacks in mountain areas, describing the make up of the house to the best of my ability, including that it was within walking distance of my school.

I was surpized by how small the resulting list was. There were several dozen houses, but most of them were in the same areas. I could visit the general areas, and I felt confident that I'd recognize Daniel's new home on site.

Whatever god sent me to the universe must be smiling on me. The first area I visited felt as familiar as walking down the sidewalk in my home town felt.

I recognized it. The dirty cement trail leading up a steap path, the narrow alleys and the mess of wires over head. My heart started racing, pounding in my chest. This was good. This was really, really good.

I smile broadly as I walk towards a dingy little shack, with a poorly thatched roof covered by a distinctive grey tarp. I don't get too close, because not only would it be rude but it would be hard to explain, since it's near a dead end and there's absolutely nothing else there to be walking towards besides other dilapidated housing shacks.

I hung out for nearly two hours, just killing time on my phone, before my sister texted me and asked to get dinner together. There had been no sign of Daniel. It was still break, so perhaps his mother hadn't sent him yet. Didn't he move the day before school starts back up?

I sigh and replied back with the affirmative. I had a whole summer to kill.

○○○•••●●●°°°♡°°°●●●•••○○○

I picked up Joy from the penthouse she and our mother were staying in. As she was still in middle school, and a breathtakingly gorgeous girl in a large city, she still legally lived with Mother (who I was still yet to meet, or talk to, or have her acknowledge my existence at all.) However, Mother had been out of the country for some time, France if memory serves me, and Joy sometimes grew lonely for family.

She often stayed over at my place, or we met up in the city. I entered a small, but elite restaurant that specialized in foreign cuisine. As soon as I stepped in, the wait staff bustled to get me situated as quickly and efficiently as possible, bowing and smiling as they did so.

Joy was already seated at a table near the back, around a privacy corner, looking out a large window at a decent veiw of the city. She looked up as I approached and her face split into a grin. "Big brother!" She jumped up and wrapped her arms around my chest and arms, trapping me. I grinned at her in response and pecked her forehead.

She laughed and released me so that we could both take a seat. "What do you want to order?" She asked, so that I wouldn't have to struggle with an impromtu game of charades when the waiters came back around to take our orders.

[Something fish,] I tell her flippantly. [And fruit. You should get vegetables this time. ]

"Aww," she whined, poking out her bottom lip. "But I don't like those. "

[You'll lose your figure,] I sign. [End up chubby, like a panda.]

"Will I still be cute?" She asked me curiously. I pretend to consider this for a moment before making a knocking motion in the air.

[Yes,] I assure her. [You'd still be beautiful.]

She smirked victoriously. "Well, then," and when she gave our orders, she got herself a steak, a pastry and a bowl of pasta. I shake my head at her. She just shrugged. "I'm still young, Jay. And I'm small enough that I can eat what I want every now and then."

I scrunch up my nose and turn my head to the side. In return she kicks my shin under the table. "You're a terrible big brother," she informs me with a smile lurking around her lips.

[I'm an epic big brother,] I reply. [The best.]

"Sure," she humors. Our food arrives quickly, ahead of several other guests who had been waiting already when we'd arrived. "Have you made any plans for the summer, big brother?" I shake my head, no.

[I'll probably spend it working on the business. Catch up and working ahead, so that I can forget about it when the semester starts.]

Joy frowns. "That's not how business works, Jay."

[Nope,] I agree. [But that's how I work.] She snorts indelicately. [Besides, I have people I pay to run things during the school year. It'll be fine.] I flap my hand dissmissively before digging into my meal.

The hard part about getting food with people was talking while eating. I had to either put down my utensils completely, or be lazy and risk misinterpretation. Joy had no such difficulties, just talking with her mouth full. I make a disgusted face at her, but she ignored me with all the respect of a little sister.

"I think I'm gonna visit my friend, Leonie," she told me. "You remember her right?" I shook my head. "We met her last year at a confrence in Chicago. We've stayed in touch. She's trying to practice her Korean. And I needed to brush up on my English."

[All summer?]

"Not sure. Maybe? Is that okay?"

[Why are you asking me?]

Joy huffs, putting down her food and crossing her arms. "You won't miss me at all?" She demanded.

I grin at her around a mouth full of chewed food, my cheeks bulging. [Not in the least. Bring me back a toy.]
°°°•••○○○●●●♡●●●○○○•••°°°

True to my word, I dedicated myself to the business that my father had bestowed upon me. I ran a hotel chain, and a branch of a famous fashion store. I was allowed to keep 70% of the profit, with the rest going to my father. If I proved myself, I've been informed by his secretary that he'd give me both permanently and conpletely on my twenty-first birthday.

It was more than generous of him, and it allowed me to live comfortably to the point of frivolousness. The business work, I found easy. Almost enjoyable. I even submitted a few of my own designs to a company in partnership of my store. Of the profit I made from that, I was permitted to keep it all.

But to say the summer flew by would be an overstatement. Everyday, I found myself searching the crowded streets from my windows, straining my eyes for any sign of Daniel. Every night my mind would be buzzing with the various scenarios of our ideal first meeting. Throughout my weeks, I'd picture what it would be like if Daniel were to be spending the time by my side.

I hung out with friends from school every now and then. Vasco seemed to be making time for me, and Jace always came along. I'm not sure how, but they figured out where I lived. They'd drop in and we'd use my pool, or watch a movie, or I'd have my chef whip something up.

Mira, once she found out my family were all overseas for the summer, had made me promise to spend at least two afternoons a week with her. Before long, I kind of fell into the routine of taking her to a store or a mall, or a street with shops and spending stupid amount of money on her and Zack (who alwayd insisted on tagging along).

Speaking of Zack, he became a lot more friendly to me during the break. Particuarily when he discovered I was pretty much left to my own devices by my parents. It also helped that at one point, I'd had to defend Mira against a group of crude highschool boys. Zack had gone off to buy something, and left the two of us at a cafe after giving me a threatening glare--which I returned with my usual smile.

Four muscle heads sauntered over not long after, insulting how small I was, and how Mira should be with "real men". Like them....apparently. I had scoffed, soundlessly. And signed somethin derisive to Mira, who giggled. Only, that seemed to prove to them that I would be a push over. After all...I was disabled.

By the time Zack returned, one of the boys were unconscious ontop of the remains of a broken table, one was bleeding on the ground, cradling his balls, one was struggling to free himself from my grip, and the fourth was trying to make a break for it.

Zack, slow witted as he may be, seemed to catch on. Or maybe he just wanted to punch someone. Either way, the runaway ended up with a broken nose and a bruised jaw. Mira calmed him down as we vacated the premises, before the barrista could come out from where he was hiding behind the counter and yell at us.

When he'd learned what happened, he turned to me with an expression of respect and graditude. He clapped me firmly on the shoulder, and said nothing. But since then he hasn't tried to belittle me, not even when we were alone, or when he came across me when he was with his little crew.

The nights before the beginning  of school, I lay awake with my stomach churning. I've already changed so many things on accident...what if I irreparably mess up the plot? There's so much about the philosophies of the butterfly effect that I don't understand. What if I've somehow made it so that Daniel never gets his new body?

The day before the start of the second semester, I made my way back up the hill to the run down house Daniel should have moved into by now. At first, I didn't see anybody. But then i heard footsteps and heavy breathing behind me. I turned around, surprised, to see the equally shocked face of Chubby Daniel.

I gritted my teeth and silently scolded Zack when I saw his pudgy face was bruised and swollen. Just a look at his injuries and bad haircut told me all I needed to; Daniel had already run into my two friends.

I couldn't get too mad at Zack though. To be fair, Daniel had acted like a bit of a doofus after he got his hair cut. But one look at Daniel's face, tear stained, bruised and fearful that he'd managed to find yet another bully, and I couldn't really blame him either.

I smiled gently at him. I wondered back to the Webtoon. How Daniel was always able to understand Jay...me. is he fluent in sign?

[Are you all right?]

Daniel looked shocked. He sniffled, and then--to my great pleasure--answered me. "Y-yeah," he said, his voice soft and hoarse. "I'll be okay." I frown, and kneel down so that I'm closer to his height. Out of my jacket pocket, I pull a handkerchief. I hand it to him, which he accepts hesitantly to wipe his eyes then nose.

"Thank you," he said, shamefully.

I wave away his thanks. [Please take care,] I tell him. [It can be dangerous to wander out and about alone.] Daniel nodded glumly, then looked up at me hesitantly.

"But..." he said, then stopped. I motioned for him to continue. "But, you're on your own." Then he blushed at himself, worrying his bottom lip.

My inner fangirl died. He's just so freaking adorable!! I grin and ruffle his hair, though my smile fades when he flinches away from my hand. [I can take care of myself.] I sign to him.

"You can take care of yourself?" Daniel repeats back as I move my hands, not evem realizing he's doing it. "We'll that's good. I should learn..." he said the last part to himself.

[That's a good idea!] I encourage him. Daniel lit up a bit.

"You, you think I should train myself?" He asked. I nod happily. "You think I could?" I nod again without a shadow of a doubt. That wins me the first real smile I'd seen from Daniel so far. And jesus he's cute.

"Thanks," he tells me earnestly with a sweet smile. I smile back and begin to wall away. "You have to go?" He asks sounding disappointed. I nod, regretfully. "Oh. Of course you do. I'm sorry for taking up your time."

I wave away his apologies as I reach where I parked my bike. I mount it, strapping my helmet on (because safety, kids!) And turn back to him. [Please don't apologize. I'll see you later!] I smile and rev my engine, getting ready to speed off, my heart light and my mood better than it has been in days.

I almost didn't catch his parting remark before I was zooming away. "Will you, though?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275K 8.8K 22
Jeongguk sees Taehyung rebuking someone in a dominant way and gets a hard-on just by watching that. He never thought he had this kink and therefore b...
22.9K 728 16
A guy, not one of those weak and useless crying bags, dies and get reincarnated into the universe of Lookism. Will be gay (Jay my beloved). I don't o...
13.1K 381 34
Lookism × fem reader - by a very cool person :>
7.9K 237 21
Yunho loses a bet on who has to go get snacks and has to go to the convenient store when he hears a commotion in the alley. He finds a cat and takes...