Dance of the Damned (Complete...

By Louise_Fyre

Ariadne has always been a dreamer. Her mother would always say she was away with the faeries. Until one nigh... More

Authors Note:
Dedication
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30

22

919 66 14
By Louise_Fyre

Ariadne paced her new favourite place in the castle, the library. It was gigantic, a maze of conjoined rooms. Floor to ceiling was covered in every shape, size and colour of book. They all sat on wooden bookcases that covered every available inch of the vast rooms. Each section was divided by huge, open arches leading into the next room, while wide double staircases spiralled up to three further levels, nay balconies full of even more books.

Several stone alcoves sat inbetween the abnormally tall windows that seemed to vanish just short of the domed ceiling, while velvet covered love seats covered the low benches. Lecterns stood at intervals by the start of each bookcase, some were gently splayed open, resting on thick cushioned boxes; while others had glass cases placed atop of them protecting them from God's knew what.

Ariadne marvelled at the ingenuity of it all, the balconies that defied gravity, only held up by several thick beams that grew out of the walls, the vastness of each room and the veritable city of books stretching out as far as the eye could see. Even the huge fireplaces that were dark and currently unlit in every open reading space.

Kallen was bent over a book, as his fingers traversed the pages feverishly. His hair fell over his shoulder, shielding the text from Ariadne's gaze.

"You sure it's in here," she chuckled.

"If the lore is written by Fae, the creators, or any race inbetween, you better believe it is in here," his voice was muffled, preoccupied.

Ariadne peered around the bookcase in front of her, Kallen was still bent over the lectern at the front of it, the alleyway before her stretched out, no visible end in sight.

"How far back into the castle does this go?" Ariadne called over her shoulder.

Kallen briefly looked up.

"The library itself spans about two quarters of the entirety of this castle," he bent back over the book and turned the page.

"Holy shit!"

Ariadne hadn't even seen half of the castle yet, according to Iyrena. Ariadne walked back to Kallen and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, he shrugged it off.

"I'm sure we'll find a way to break it."

Ariadne turned away from Kallen and paced down row upon row of books looming over her. She felt safe here, like she was amongst old friends. A slight smile pushed her lips upwards, it had been sometime since she had ventured into a library, especially one even half as grand as this one.

"Do not wander too far, there is no librarians about today," Kallen called after her.

Ariadne took note and turned down a corner, her feet moving one after the other. The wall of books ensconced her until the section she was in was almost dark. Ariadne looked around her and her heart began beating double time. She had journeyed into this alley of books further than she had intended. The faint light at the beginning of the bookcase seemed like an eternity away from her. Her hands became wet with sweat, and her hands drifted through her hair.

"No, no, no," she panicked.

She wheeled around in a tight circle, everywhere she turned books surrounded her, their silent covers mocking her. They were supposed to be her friends, what had she done to deserve this. A hand landed on her shoulder, and her instincts kicked in. Her arm shot out behind her and caught the person behind her across their throat.

She turned on her heels, ready to punch them. The hooded figure was bent at the knees, one hand on their throat, the other braced against the solid wood of a shelf. The figure coughed.

"I'm s-sorry. I didn't... Kallen said there were no librarians working today," her words were stilted and apologetic.

The figure slowly stood up, and their coughing began to ease. Ariadne could faintly make out heavy silver embroidery on a dark purple, or was it navy, floor length robe. It seemed to take the shape of a book haloed with a semi circle and stylised sun rays. Long, wide sleeves touched the dusty carpet and a deep hood hid the face of her mysterious companion.

Ariadne took a step back.

"I am terribly sorry my presence frightened you. His majesty is correct, no librarians are in attendance today, but I am not a librarian," the voice that replied was hoarse.

Ariadne took another step back into the alley of books. A mistake.

"Please do not fear, I may not be a librarian, but I am the guardian of this library. A keeper of knowledge of wisdom if you will," soft feminine hands swept back the hood.

"Oh," Ariadne paused. Her heart slowed down to a somewhat slower pace.

Hair the colour of an open ocean was swept back in an ornate braid, over long, tapered ears while several bronze tubular beads enclosed thinner braids that sat either side of a young face. The keepers skin was a deep shade of dark chocolate, and had a rich mahogany cast to it, almost radiant. Her face itself was blemish free and open like the books she guarded. Her eyes were the shade of wild lavendar with gold flecks and her lips were sat in a soft smile.

Ariadne held out her hand, and the keeper took it gently.

"Seshat, at your service," she dipped her head.

"Sorry about earlier," Ariadne mumbled.

"Think nothing of it, dear child," Seshat smiled warmly.

Ariadne let her hand drift back to her side, and an awkward silence filled the air around them both. Ariadne shuffled from foot to foot while Seshat gazed at the books. Seshat broke the silence and Ariadne blew out a sigh of relief.

"The books called to you, and you ended up, here, yes?" Her voice was filled with gentle understanding.

It calmed Ariadne and she nodded slowly.
"Yes...? No... I'm not sure."

"Let me rephrase my words. The books brought you here, you seek knowledge, but know not where to start. Let me help you." Seshat pushed back the long sleeves and looped a delicate ribbon around a small button.

"O-okay," Ariadne looked at the giant bookcase towering over her.

"Go and wait for me at the entrance, back that way, please," Seshat nodded her head towards the fading light at the start of the bookcases.

Ariadne slowly started back down the tunnel of books towards the light, and towards Kallen. She turned to look back over her shoulder to tell Seshat what subject she had been looking for, but she was nowhere to be seen. Ariadne sighed.

"Fae huh?"

"Ariadne?" Kallen's voiced called, somewhat distant.

"I'm here..." she called back as loudly as possible. Her words were swallowed by the books surrounding her.

"ARIADNE??? WHERE ARE YOU," his voice turned desperate.

Ariadne began to run towards the growing ball of rapidly diminishing light. Her legs burned and her arms pumped at her sides. No matter how hard she pushed herself, the tunnel of books just seemed to stretch out before her, endless. Her legs slowed and her strides became shorter. Her chest burned, and a dull ache began in her lungs.

Her breathing became fast and erratic.

"I'm. Right. Here!" She panted.

Her voice came out, barely a whisper.

She took a deep, shuddering breath, and tried again.

"KALLEN!?"

Her voice was louder, and had deepened an octave. The Pheonix within her had heard her silent plea. Light began to bloom in the palm of her hand, and she sank to the floor. Edges of books pricked the skin on her back, piercing through her thin tunic. Her body ached all over and her nerves were blowing in the wind, torn to shreds by the events of the past few days. Her head hung limply on her chest as tears slipped down her cheeks.

Her sobs were smothered by the lifeless books around her, they didn't care. Why should they, they were just books, inanimate, and unfeeling, not like the other sentient objects in Altoria. The light beneath the skin of her palms grew, and she turned them over, placing them on top of her knees in bewilderment.

The golden light blossomed as the last of the light at the end of the tunnel of books died. Ariadne was alone, trapped in a foreign and dark place. Nothing but golden light to keep her company. The light blurred at the edges, as her tears hindered her sight, she wiped at them forcibly with the back of her hand, and the light burst forth from beneath her palm, an orb now floated beside her. The light continued to blossom as the shadows of despair grew within her.

"I. Hate. Magic!" She gritted out the words.

The orb flickered and dimmed. Ariadne panicked and backpeddled quickly.

"W-well I don't hate it," the light grew even dimmer.

"You're pretty and warm," the words tumbled from her mouth.

The orb of light brightened slightly.
"Please... Please stay, I need you," she pleaded.

"Well I never. The daughter of the great Nikolai Lockheart, reduced to talking to a floating orb," the voice came from nowhere, and all around her at the same time.

It dripped with sarcasm and Ariadne heard the smile hiding there.

Shakily, she got to her feet and approached the growing shadow that swept towards her. Once within reach, she hit her hands against where his chest should be. Ariadne heard Kallen gasp. Good, she'd managed to somehow push her hands against his chest. She pushed again, harder. A small gust of air blew past her as Kallen stumbled backwards, his face half covered in shadow.

"I called to you! You never answered!" Her voice broke.

"Shhhh! I am here now," his hands gripped her shoulders and pulled her close, or he tried to.

Ariadne shook him off.
"I thought you would leave me here," she cried.

"No. I could never leave you. Never," he stepped up to Ariadne and enveloped her in his strong arms.

His embrace was warm, and strong. His embrace was safety and love, everything she had gone without for so long. He was her home. When had his embrace become her sanctuary.

Ariadne looked at his face, concealed in faint shadows. The orb floated forward and his face was thrown into relief. His eyes were tight, and his jaw moved furiously as a finger brushed under her chin. His lips landed on her forehead.

"M'anam I could never leave you." He kissed her forehead.

The words rocked her body to her core, and they filled her very heart with light and love. Her soul soared.

"Come, I think we have lingered long enough," he took her hand.

Before she could blink, they were both stood at the entrance of the small book city they had left behind. Seshat stood there, a huge column of books sat piled on top of her outstretched hands.

"These should help you." Seshat turned to the table sat in the middle of the room and put down the books, then she was gone.

Ariadne stared at the smallest mountain of stacked books, and she swallowed. She was no longer sure if she wanted to break whatever was between her and Kallen.

M'anam or not.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109 3 4
The Fae have long kept to their floating isles in the sky. Their kingdom bled thin by the humans that have hunted them, but their enchantments remain...
18.6K 823 19
The Life Tree has fallen. Monsters crawl from its roots and terrorise the realms they reach. In offer of protection, the Demon realm unleashed its so...
8.5K 1.2K 21
To break his family's curse, Faolan mac Domnall seeks to marry the beautiful Saoirse, princess of Mide. Spirited and outspoken, the wild Saoirse want...