Things Change

By mrsmalfoy818

Hermione and Draco are forced into close proximity when they are made Head Prefects that share a common room... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue

Chapter 10

7.3K 199 59
By mrsmalfoy818

| "Silence is so freaking loud.

-Sarah Dessen, Just Listen |

No POV

October 13 came faster than one would have liked. Draco woke the morning if the trial and dressed slowly. He had already gotten permission from McGonagall, but he wasn't sure if he really wanted to go. He had pushed the thought from mind. Until now.

Hermione's POV

I walked into the common room and found Draco pacing. "Draco?" I asked him quietly. He whipped his head around, and his eyes were glossed over, but he blinked it away.

"What Granger?" He said in a just audible whisper.

"Is everything...okay?"

"What's it to you?" He spat at me. His temper could change so dramatically with one simple question.

"I-I was just seeing if you were okay," I said becoming nervous.

"It's none of your business! Didn't your parents ever teach you to stay out of other people's business? Just leave me alone!" He screamed before disapparating with a crack. I had forgotten we could do that.

I took a deep breath, and sat down by the fire. I didn't mind being around Draco when he wasn't mad. But it was times like this that I can't deal with him. He acts like he wants to change, but he has all this built up anger. Suddenly he apparted back into the room. He ran a hand through his hair.

"Listen Granger, I uh-I didn't mean to... you know..." He was trying to apologize.

"It's okay, Draco. You just have to learn you can't go around yelling at people. You have to control your anger. You can hurt people that way." As I talked, he avoided my eyes, skimming the fire.

"Yeah, well thanks. But I really have to go now," He pointed to a window that had randomly appeared.

"Okay, I'll see you later." I was going to ask where he had to go, but decided against it. He had calmed down, and come back. That was a start. Progress.

Draco's POV

I apparated from Hogwarts to the phone booth in London. I didn't know how else to get into the Ministry.

6-2-4-4-2

The booth jerked to life, as it headed underground. As I walked towards the elevator, I got glares from the employees. Couldn't they just move on? 

I took the elevator to the level nine, and the stairs to the ten. I walked into the courtroom. The judges sat, talking amongst themselves, and there was a few people in the audience. I found Mother, she was dressed in black. Next to her Pansy's mother, Celia. Dressed in a pink jump suit. I sat down next to mother, and she took hold of my hand.

Then the air went cold. All the life was drained from the room. Father was brought in, in chains. Dementors following.

Shacklebolt, the Minister, called for attention. "Disciplinary hearing of the thirteenth of October, into offences committed under the Decree Ban of Dark Magic by Lucius Malfoy II. Do you deny the following? Using the Imperious Curse on inocent people multiple times?"

"No."

"Using the Cruciatus Curse multiple times?"

"No."

"Using the Killing Curse multiple times?"

"No."

"Owning dark artefacts, and using them illegally?"

"No."

"Do you deny the act of being a death eater?"

"No."

"Were you under the Imperious Curse while committing said acts?"

"No."

"So you willing committing crimes you knew were wrong?"

"Yes sir, but-"

"I didn't ask for an explanation. Do you have any evidence for us that might help your situation?"

"Macnair-"

"Dead."

"No, he can't be-"

"Anyone else?"

"Sewlyn...Mulciber...uh-"

"All dead. Those in favor of the dementor's kiss?"

I looked around, almost everyone had their hands raised. Mother let out a cry. Father was pleading. "I had to! He would've killed me-and my family. I had to!"

"Others died for what was right. The kiss shall take place in an hour." Again, Mother let out a sob, and Celia embraced her. Everyone got up to leave, and soon it was just us.

"Mother, come. We must say goodbye." She nodded, and wiped her eyes before standing up. A lady met us at the door, "This way," she told us before walking away. She led us to a small room made of concrete. "One at a time."

Mother reached a hand towards the knob. "I-I should go first." She stepped into the room, and the door closed behind her. I could hear muffled voices, and cries. She came out probably twenty minutes later, with puffy eyes, and tear strained cheeks. "Say goodbye Draco."

I took a deep breath, and prepared what I was going to say. "Father." I said cold-ly.

"Draco-"

"Save it. Do you know how much shit you've put us through. You have my our lives a living hell. Not once have you even tried to apologize. Not once have you asked what we want. It's always about you. What benefits you. The only good thing you've ever done was walk away that night. You are a terrible father. I love you, but only because I have to. I never wanted to be like you, and I never will. I'll make sure your grandchildren know what a piece of shit grandfather they had. Nice knowing you, Father. Oh, and by the way, I'm in love with Granger, the mud-" Before I knew what was happening, he launched forward. His fist connected with my nose, and I heard it crack. Blood spurtted from my nose, onto the table. His fist came at me again, this time my eye. He got a few more punches to my face and body before the dementors pulled him away. He just looked at me, a look of disgust. "You aren't my son." That was the last thing he would ever say to me.

"I never wanted to be." And those were my last words to him. I walked out of the room, past Mother who was fussing over the blood, and kept going. I was soon back onto the streets of London. A clocktower rang. 1:00. It was happening right now. I apparated back to Hogwarts, but I was a little off target, and tripped over the table.

Hermione was on the couch reading a book. "Need a little help there-" She stopped when she saw my face. "God, Draco. What happened?" She walked forward and put a hand to my nose. I flinched away in pain.

"My lousy father. That's what happened," I told her in a low growl. "At least I don't have to worry about him anymore."

"Oh Draco, I'm so sorry. What happened to him?"

"He was given the dementor's kiss."

She let out a gasp. "I had no idea-why didn't you tell me?" She sounded so upset that I hadn't told her.

"He's not any of your concern," I said before plopping onto the couch.

"Well, at least let me fix your nose-"

I jumped back. "No! Remember what happened to Potter's arm when they tried to fix it?"

She giggled. "That was because Lockhart tried to fix it. He doesn't know anything. And this is a spell Luna taught me. Trust me. Just close your eyes." I closed my eyes, and she tapped her wand to my nose. "Episkey." Suddenly my nose felt like it was on fire, but then it became cold as ice. I took a deep breath. It seemed fine.

"Thanks Granger. It actually worked."

She made a pouting face. "I can't believe you thought I would mess up!"

"I had my doubts," I told her with a sly grin. She playfully punched my chest, and I grunted in pain. She reached to take my shirt off, and I decided to make some fun of it. "Woah Granger! Calm down, we haven't even had dinner yet."

She started to blush, but she still smiled. "Oh, save it, Malfoy. Let me look at your chest."

"Whatever you say..." I unbuttoned my shirt and she examined the bruises that had already appeared. "Hmm... Well there's nothing I can do about the bruises."

"So you just wanted to take my shirt off then?"

"You're hopeless. Did you know that?" She rolled her eyes, before going back to her book.

My mind went back to Father. He was long gone by now. I was a little upset, I mean he is my father. But I guess he deserved what he got. I'm just glad it wasn't me. I wonder what Mother was doing. Probably mourning over her loss, or crying into Celia's shoulder. I felt bad for her. I'm the only one she has left.

I looked over at Hermione. Not a care in the world, other than studies. Why couldn't my life be that simple? Some things you just got to deal with, you're stuck with them. After all, the world isn't a wish granting factory.

*A/N

TFIOS!!! I thought it fit perfect there! :) Anyway, I have decided to update every couple days, so I have more time, and the chapters will be longer. But if I'm boted I might update, so you'll just have to wait and see. Comment and vote!

~Mrs Malfoy

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

243K 6.2K 14
It's a dangerous thing, to mess with Draco Malfoy. He is a Slytherin. She is a Ravenclaw. They have been thrown into their own defining worlds of cun...
433K 10.8K 27
"If she went, that was it. Everyone would know." Promiscuous, irreverent, but quick witted; Draco Malfoy seems to glide through life unbothered, yet...
1.1K 65 10
Fumbling, bumbling dates of Draco and Harry, eager but inexperienced. Mix in confusing feelings about their past conflicts... *Sequel to Captivate *1...
1.8M 31.1K 27
Hermione is back as Head Girl for her 7th year, but she is back without Ron. So when she is forced to room with Head Boy, Draco Malfoy, the hormones...