Isildilia.(Book 1 of the Whit...

Od wingsanddragons

Being different was never a good thing for Isildilia Different got you noticed. ... Viac

Chapter 1- Discovery at the river
Chapter 2- A street meeting.
Chapter 3- unlikely encounter
Chapter 4-The man with wings
Chapter 5- escape
chapter 6- trip to the palace
chapter 7-painful discovery
chapter 8- the secret is out
chapter 9- identity revealed
chapter 10- start of a long journey
Chapter 11- The wolves of the okina forest.
Chapter 12- Opikina
chapter 13- a dangerous lie
Chapter 14- the Flower Spirits and the Rogue Limim
chapter 15- the general
Chapter 16- Lord Yui and Amithae
Chapter 17- the border between worlds
Chapter 19 A Dance for me
Chapter 20- Bad communication
Chapter 21- The giant's bridge
Chapter 22- journey up river
Chapter 23- Spirits make a change
Chapter 24- an unexpected reunion
Chapter 25- the true nature of things
Chapter 26- the great gathering
Chapter 27- a long days work ahead.
Chapter 28- The singing of children
Chapter 29- Reckless mistake
Chapter 30- The start of all the danger
Chapter 31- Something they didn't expect to see
Chapter 32- I'm willing to sacrifice.
Chapter 33- True test of survival
Chapter 34- what did they do?
Chapter 35- The truth is out
Chapter 36-FINAL- The Visions
Isildilia.A handy pronouciation guide.

Chapter 18- the black wolves

2K 164 9
Od wingsanddragons

Isildilia bolted awake.

White Lily's method was rough. Isildilia whimpered and clutched her chest, feeling like she just got punched. She quickly sat up and looked for Valin. He was lying next to her, remaining very still. She quickly shook him. She couldn't have...she hadn't just killed him?

"Valin, Valin, wake up!" His wakening was just as sudden as hers was. He flailed around for a few seconds as he took a moment to realise where he was. Once he stopped, he quickly pushed himself upright, clutching at his head. Isildilia felt the tears of relief creeping up behind her eyes.

"What happen...?" He didn't finish, for Isildilia had flung her arms around his neck and started to sob into his chest.

"Don't let me do that again, I almost killed you." She heard Valin grunt in surprise.

"Yes, that isn't something I'm ready to do in a hurry." He tapped his head. "I've never had that experience before or come across a mind quite like it. It's provided...an interesting insight." Now Isildilia remembered, she was supposed to be mad with him for keeping such important secrets. She stood up and glared down at him. "What is it?" he asked, shuffling away from her a tad.

"How did you know?" He knew what she was referring to. "Was that the reason you withheld my name from me?"

"I didn't know. I had no idea about what had happened to you. The reason I did not want to refer to you by your real name, was that I felt you weren't yet worthy of it."

"Worthy...of my name!" she exclaimed. "You had no problem telling me other important information about myself." Although there were still things she didn't know.

"Yes, to me, you still aren't ready. You still act like Isildilia, the human. Not White Lily, the Princess. And I will continue to call you as such until the time you are ready." He twitched his nose. "However, this...discovery has put a complicated twist to the situation, one that I must discuss once we reach the mountain. It is....important for what is planned."

"What plans?" she enquired. But he would not privy with that bit of information either.

"Where have you been?" asked Dakelo when they finally returned. "I was about to come looking for the both of you." He looked at her, and then stared at Valin accusingly.

Isildilia didn't know how to answer.

"We were just going over some precision training, ones that required fewer disturbances." Dakelo glared, but eventually returned to prodding the fire with a stick, watching the sparks that detached themselves without any further words. Isildilia appreciated that Valin didn't mention that she'd almost killed him.

Froyza was sitting upright, ears pricked up. He was obviously listening to something. A few seconds later, he rapidly stood up, hair on end, muzzle wrinkled back. She knew, from being with him, that it was a sign something was wrong. All three of them regarded him.

"What is it?" asked Dakelo, reaching for his sword.

"Wolf pack," he growled, "and they are coming this way. They've picked up on our scent."

"Is that something to fear?" Isildilia asked. She thought back to when she and Dakelo first met Hin and decided she didn't require an answer.

"Here they come," he said. Almost instantly, nearly a dozen black shapes burst from the darkness. They all skidded to a stop a few paces away. Each one had black fur and eyes of bright amber, which reflected the light like lanterns. The smallest one was even bigger than Froyza, even though he himself had grown. The lead wolf, whose size was greater than Hin's, broke from the pack and stepped forward to assess them. Froyza almost belly crawled forwards, with ears slicked back.

"What is he doing?" Isildilia whispered to Valin.

"He is showing respect to the leader. It's complex. For example, if his ears are too high it's disrespectful or challenging, but too low and it's cowardly and weak. He must not stare for too long else that is also disrespectful."

"What will happen then?"

"We have to wait..." Suddenly the lead wolf grabbed Froyza by his muzzle and turned him over. Isildilia was about to rush over and help, but Valin held her back. She looked up at him and he shook his head. Froyza wagged his behind and tail and the leader released him. Froyza retreated to stand by Isildilia's side.

"He said his name is Xaivi, of the Black Mountain Wolf tribe." The lead wolf inclined his head slightly, as did the rest of the pack.

"To what do we owe the pleasure of your tribe's company?" Valin asked. Xaivi exchanged a few glances, movements and small sounds, which apparently appeared to be a full conversation. Froyza started to growl and smell around.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Isildilia asked. She looked at Valin who also started to look worried.

"It's another one."

"Another one?"

"Another case of the infection," Valin muttered.

"But why does everyone look much more worried?" she asked.

"This case is worse, much worse," Froyza growled.

"How so?"

"It has degraded into a second state. It's going on a complete rampage. It's lost complete consciousness of its former self, and nothing they do or say can get through to it." She shuddered at the thought. "Apparently it's already killed four wolves from neighbouring tribes."

"What type of creature is it this time?" Valin asked, stiffening slightly. Froyza barked to the pack, who exchanged another silent conversation.

"It's a mountain bear," he said. Valin cursed.

"Is that bad?" Dakelo asked.

"A mountain bear is over twice the size of the flat landed species," Isildilia explained, "and their temper is twice as bad. Can you imagine what one would be like when it's infected?"

Dakelo shuddered.

"What shall we do?" he asked.

"We shall do nothing," Valin declared, "this is why this pack is here; they can take down the infected beast together. Our priority is to get you safely back." Isildilia agreed. After her last encounter, she didn't want to come across another, especially if this one was much worse.

Valin nodded once to the wolf tribe, who suddenly disappeared like shadows in the night.

"Let's quicken the pace," he said, rushing over to kick out the fire.

Even their quickest pace couldn't compare to when they'd ridden horseback. They flew down the side of the mountain as fast as they dared run. Valin and Dakelo held torches to help them see in the darkness, but Isildilia feared that was no more than lighting a beacon for it to find them. Something snapped on their left side and Valin's action was instant. He withdrew his sword and leapt behind the rocks. He came back seconds later.

"False alarm, lets hurry. We won't be safe until we reach the bottom." A series of howls came from back up the trail. They paused to listen. Valin paled.

"What's wrong? What's happened?"

"They have lost the scent," barked Froyza. He sniffed the air and whimpered. "But I've got it."

"Where is it?" Valin demanded.

"East from here. It's getting closer," he growled.

"Froyza come with me. You two stay here and don't move. Stay hidden." Both he and Froyza took off, following the direction of the scent. Suddenly she felt deadly exposed. Every bit of sound, each breath of wind kept her on edge. Dakelo moved closer to her.

"Any information on these beasts would be helpful about now." Images flicked through her mind; pages, pictures and Valin's lectures.

"They can't climb," she said.

"Right then, up this one here." He pointed to the largest tree to their right. He looked at the torch and decided it was best to stamp it out, leaving them reliant on the faint glimmers of the moonlight to help. He stood at the base and held his arms out. "I'll give you a boost, hurry." She ran and leapt up into the tree, without his help. She held down an arm to his shocked face.

"Grab on." He gripped her hand and she swung him onto the closest branch. "Keep climbing, we must get higher." They scrambled up the complex network of branches.

"Are you sure they can reach this height?" Dakelo asked from below, as his cloak got caught in another branch, slowing him down further.

"Reach up to my level," she called from above. They both sat on a branch that was thick enough to hold their weight. But it also allowed them to look down to the bottom through a bare patch in the canopy.

"It shouldn't reach us up here?" he asked.

"Oh no." She pointed down; they had left some of the bags behind.

"I'll go down and get them."

"No, stop!" She gripped his arm.

"What is it?" His eyes glinted with fear. She could sense something coming, its presence spreading like a black poison. The very feel of it made her ill. It must be the bear and it was very close. What happened to Valin? Was he safe? She clasped at her head as the clip started to throb painfully, they were in danger, great danger.

They both heard the bear before they saw it; its breathing was heavy and loud and each step boomed out into the silent night. Its huge bulk came lumbering in, sniffing about. Its brown body took up the whole space below. It went right up to the tree where they hid, following the scent, smelling the bags. It didn't take it long to find out where they were.

They both looked down into lifeless eyes, like the pits of demons staring back. Its muzzle twitched as it caught their scent.

"Keep still," Dakelo whispered, gripping her hand. The bear's mouth opened to reveal two rows of sharp teeth; thick saliva dripping from its maw, down onto its fur. Its breath stank like death itself; they could smell it, even from their height.

It released a huge bellow, spitting saliva and shaking the tree. Its huge bulk lurched as it stood on its hind legs to reach them. They were just out of reach of its forepaw, as it swiped with such force that it removed all the branches below them in one clean movement. They were trapped.

The whole time it didn't take its eyes off her and she couldn't help but stare back. She felt transfixed to it. She could feel herself leaning forwards, getting closer. Dakelo pulled her back before she fell.

"Get a hold of yourself. Don't look at it," he told her.

Don't think you are safe up there, the bear growled; you cannot escape the never ending dark, the lustrous pit. It spoke as if it was choking on its own voice, like it was being forced to talk unnaturally, deep and gurgling.

"What is it going on about?" said Dakelo, in a revolted tone.

The master's dark is glorious; your fate is to meet it as well. The master will be pleased. Especially pleased to have you as his loyal servant. I shall deliver you PERSONALLY. Swinging its massive paw, it carved out a large chunk of the tree's trunk. The tree groaned as it started to splinter. There was a huge lurch and it started to topple.

"Hang on!" shouted Dakelo, as they were thrown to the ground. They only had a few seconds to regain themselves. Isildilia leapt up and withdrew her sword.

"Dakelo?" she called out.

"Over here." She ran over and froze. His leg was trapped under a large branch.

"Are you alright?" she asked, reaching down to lift it off.

"Don't worry about me. Keep your eye on the fight!" The bear! She spun around, sword held out in front. It stood opposite her on all fours, eyes bulging wildly.

"You can stop now," she told it, even though she knew it was useless.

You cannot go against the master; he will erase the blockage of this world. Unite us under one banner, he shall rule us and be our king. He wants the most powerful at his side. I shall deliver you to him. He shall be pleased, pleased indeed. He's been searching for you. He didn't wait a second more before crossed the gap in one stride.

"Well, you wanted a fight," she muttered to Lillarth. In a split second she rolled out of the way of the bear. There was a boom as his paw struck at the earth. She ran past the bear's side and thrust her sword into its hind leg. The resounding scream vibrated through the air. She yanked it out, avoiding the quick spray of blood, and leapt back with Lillarth, out of its immediate reach.

The bear retreated, limping as it did so. How dare you! it screamed, turning around to charge at her again.

It glared across at her, directly in the eye. Something was there, hidden in the corner of its eyes, beyond its eyes. It stared at her pleadingly. Was it another alluring trick? No, it felt different. Like a fading candle in the darkest of caves. She understood, knowing what she was seeing.

"I understand," she said. "I will set you free." She raised Lillarth again.

Set me free? it responded. Why would I want to be free from this?

She only had a split second to think before it suddenly launched at her again. She ducked, but it overshot her. She thought it would turn around, but it wasn't aiming for her. It thundered across the ground towards Dakelo.

"Leave him alone!" she screamed at it. Without even thinking, she gripped the sword with both hands and threw it. There came a resounding thud and a scream, as it embedded itself in the bear's back, between the shoulder blades. It fell a few paces from Dakelo, who was lifting the branch that imprisoned his foot. They both stared transfixed in horror. They waited, seeing if it would get back up.

"Is it...dead?" Dakelo asked. Isildilia quickly hurried over to help him up.

"I think so, but I'm not checking. How is your leg?" She reached down and helped him remove the branch. He rubbed his leg a few times to check.

"Sore, but not broken." She helped him stand up. "It should be alright." Then there came a coughing, mixed with the sound of gurgling liquid. The bear wasn't dead. They both looked across. A mixture of blood and black liquid seeped from its mouth, and from the wound on its back. It appeared to be laughing when it looked at them.

You may have slain me, but there are others. Many others. The master's greatest prize is still here. He will deliver you. He may not want to now, but he will...you cannot escape the master's darkness. Then he started to crawl towards them, gouging the earth with its paws, snarling and spitting blood as it did so.

"How can it still be alive?" gaped Dakelo, pulling Isildilia back with him.

The Master will have you; you will serve at his side! it started to scream. It pushed itself up onto all fours and made one final leap towards them, jaws agape. Something flew through the air and embedded into the side of its head. They both dove out of the way as it landed in-between them. It gave a final shudder and fell still. They both waited to see if it would move again. Dakelo even went up and nudged it with his foot.

"That wasn't you was it?" he asked her. She shook her head. "Then who di...." He stopped and looked behind Isildilia, eyes wide.

Isildilia looked around and saw that the black wolves were around them once more, managing to creep up unnoticed by either of them. But there was someone else among them.

"That's not fair; I wanted to get it first. I only got to finish the job." Someone lightly landed among them. It was a human, or more like another transformed beast. She must have been a black wolf clan member, for her eyes were the same bright amber. Her clothes around her chest, and a pair of trousers ending just below her knees, appeared to be made of the same fur as her brethren. Her arms were bare apart from some leather straps she had criss-crossing around each wrist. She carried numerous small daggers on a belt that ran from her right shoulder to left hip; each one looked like it was carved from bone. She was completely bare footed as well, and her feet were both darkened with layers of dirt. She pranced nimbly around the area surveying the carcass. She stopped when she reached Dakelo. She leant in very close and even sniffed him.

"Eh, you're a cute one," she smiled, flashing her pointed canines. Dakelo didn't know how to react.

"Excuse me, but who are you?" he stuttered. She tilted her head to the side, making her curly black hair tumble forwards.

"I'm sorry; I am the daughter of Xaivi, Silvermoon." She danced across to stand in front of Isildilia. "We heard the commotion and ran over."

"And you can speak human," Isildilia noticed.

"One of the few who can," Silvermoon proudly declared. "It helps me to spy on the humans on the other side of our mountain."

"Where is your father?" Isildilia asked.

"He is on his way." Within moments, he arrived, along with more of the pack. Valin and Froyza were among them. They both stared at the bear, with Isildilia's sword still sticking between its shoulder blades. Worthy of my name now, am I? Isildilia thought from seeing the look on Valin's face.

"Where were you?" Dakelo demanded. "We had to fend that thing off ourselves."

"With my help," interrupted Silvermoon. Dakelo shot her a glance. Isildilia crept forwards carefully and reached for Lillarth. At first she struggled to withdraw it, but it soon came out with a sickening crunch. She held it out at arm's length as the blood dripped from it. She placed it on the floor and wiped it on the grass. It thrummed happily underneath her fingers.

Valin walked over, he appeared more shaken by this that she was. His face was pale as he stood in front of her. "Are you ok?" he asked. She nodded. He looked at the bear. "Did it ...say anything?" Isildilia repeated nearly everything it said. Silvermoon hissed.

"Demon!"

"I don't think so," Dakelo said, "it sounded like this master has control over them. Maybe he was the one spreading this infection. This is evil..." The carcass suddenly started to shift. Everyone went on full alert. Each wolf had its fangs bared, every person had swords drawn. Unexpectedly the body started to decompose. Within seconds, the flesh was falling off the bones, landing in black clumps on the ground. They all stared horrified as this act of nature was happening before them unnaturally fast. Soon the bones were left gleaming white in a pool of black decomposed flesh. Even the grass where this black substance touched started to rot and decompose.

"Whatever you do, don't touch that," Valin warned, covering up his nose with his sleeve as the stench hit them. Isildilia had no intention of doing so.

"What shall we do?"

"Just leave it here." He put his hand across his heart and muttered something. The bones began to sigh, and she could feel something being withdrawn from it. Valin crossed both fists over his chest, then bowed. It made the hair on Isildilia arms stand on end. Whatever the presence was, it turned and lumbered off into the forest, between a gap the wolves had made. "What was that?" Isildilia asked.

"The bones may have been tainted, but the spirit still lingered deep within. All I did was ask the gods to extract its spirit and send it on its journey to the void. Nothing deserves that kind of fate." He turned to the wolves, "I appreciate the help today, my friends." Xaivi approached and barked something to Froyza for translation.

"He said it's was no problem, for it helped to eradicate a great threat to the mountain."

"And I will be seeing you soon," giggled Silvermoon.

"Why is that?" Valin asked.

"You didn't know, My Lord?" she said with large eyes. "Their Highnesses have called a gathering."

"Why? What's happened?" he demanded. Silvermoon looked across to Isildilia and Valin understood. "Oh, I had hoped we could have entered smoothly and silently."

"It's also to discuss this...problem." She indicated the bear's bones. Valin sucked in a breath and stared at the setting sun.

"This has wasted yet another day." He looked up at some of the cliff edges nearby. "But, I can think of something productive to do tonight." He gave one of his smiles, which said to Isildilia this was going to hurt her, she just knew it.

bl9zdGFr)�0���

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

1.1M 39.1K 30
What if the Bible has it all wrong about the Anti-Christ? What if this person is female and what if she actually has a choice? Meet A.C. a.k.a An...
206 20 21
Growing up as an apprentice healer in the castle, Ilia loved listening to the stories the knight-mages told. Tales of valour and glory, adventures in...
829 248 43
|8x Featured| Wonderful cover created by @MissRoseDesigns In the heart of the dense woods of Väria, 10-year-old Kiäna Yolngu comes across three pecu...
223 6 14
There are stories about the supernatural, many stories about ghosts and spirits, or even about mythical creatures, but none of those stories can comp...