Isildilia.(Book 1 of the Whit...

wingsanddragons tarafından

Being different was never a good thing for Isildilia Different got you noticed. ... Daha Fazla

Chapter 1- Discovery at the river
Chapter 2- A street meeting.
Chapter 3- unlikely encounter
Chapter 4-The man with wings
Chapter 5- escape
chapter 6- trip to the palace
chapter 7-painful discovery
chapter 8- the secret is out
chapter 9- identity revealed
chapter 10- start of a long journey
Chapter 11- The wolves of the okina forest.
Chapter 12- Opikina
chapter 13- a dangerous lie
Chapter 14- the Flower Spirits and the Rogue Limim
chapter 15- the general
Chapter 16- Lord Yui and Amithae
Chapter 17- the border between worlds
Chapter 18- the black wolves
Chapter 19 A Dance for me
Chapter 20- Bad communication
Chapter 21- The giant's bridge
Chapter 22- journey up river
Chapter 23- Spirits make a change
Chapter 24- an unexpected reunion
Chapter 25- the true nature of things
Chapter 27- a long days work ahead.
Chapter 28- The singing of children
Chapter 29- Reckless mistake
Chapter 30- The start of all the danger
Chapter 31- Something they didn't expect to see
Chapter 32- I'm willing to sacrifice.
Chapter 33- True test of survival
Chapter 34- what did they do?
Chapter 35- The truth is out
Chapter 36-FINAL- The Visions
Isildilia.A handy pronouciation guide.

Chapter 26- the great gathering

2.2K 141 7
wingsanddragons tarafından

(Picture- a Quoh) 

     “Pay attention,” Valin told her. Her mother had returned her to her room later on, to find Valin was already waiting there. Dillith instructed Valin to teach her in the language better than he already had. Isildilia didn’t know how late it was getting; being underground she had no sense of time, but it was late enough to find she was exhausted. She didn’t feel any capacity to do any late-night studying.

   “I'm trying Valin, I'm just so tired,” she replied as her head sank onto the desk.  He had her sitting at a desk in the library area, while he had her read and memories as much as possible. Valin dropped a heavy book close to her head. She barely reacted, lifting herself back up sluggishly.

   “We have only a few hours. By that time, we at least need to make sure you know more than what I gave you and make sure you memories the song of souls on top of it all.”

   “Why can't you inject it into me like last time? It’s impossible for me to learn all of that so soon.”
   “I can't keep doing that. It’s too dangerous.” Isildilia slammed her face against the table, harder than she intended. She grunted from the throbbing.

   “This isn’t working, Valin. I haven’t slept properly for days. My mind is just too tired to be cramming things in now.”

   I'm not tired, said White Lily. I could study for you.

   How?

   It doesn’t matter if you sleep, I can still hear and study for you if I concentrate. Isildilia explained this to Valin, who seemed pleased.

  “At least someone will be paying attention,” he said, turning the page.

      Isildilia sat in her field, at the base of the rock. White Lily was perched on top holding a book and quill, taking notes. She didn’t bother to question where she got those from; she just accepted anything could happen here.  She had picked up a lily flower next to her and started to pick off the petals, but each time she got to the end, they reattached themselves. It had been a few hours, yet White Lily still continued to take notes.

   “Is he still talking?” she asked.

   He won’t shut up. I'm not a scribe, I can't write that fast. Isildilia giggled. If you think it’s so funny, I’ll wake you up and make you write these notes, she snapped at her.

    “So what will we do tomorrow at the ceremony? You’re the better singer after all.”
   I believe it will be possible for me to briefly take control, over your speech and actions tomorrow. Just leave the talking to me. I don’t want you to embarrass us. Isildilia was mildly stung by White Lily’s lack of confidence in her, but decided the argument was fair.

   “Don't worry. I’d rather you talk anyways, since these are your people.” She shifted her position, so she now lay on her back, staring up through the ceiling of flowers. “Lily?”

   What is it?  I'm busy.

   “Are you happy?” White Lily slammed the book shut.

   That’s an odd question to be asking, isn’t it? Why do you ask?

   “I was just wondering.” White Lily knew what was plaguing Isildilia’s thought, for she replied;

   Mine and your happiness are not the same. I take pleasure in things that you might consider revolting. If by me being happy, you should be happy, then don’t think like that. To answer your question, yes I am happy. The happiest I've felt in a long time. Yet... part of me will never be happy if you aren’t. My true happiness is when we both are. Now look what you have made me done, I've missed a lot of important notes. Now be quiet.  Isildilia didn’t speak after that, reflecting on White Lily just told her.  

    When Isildilia woke it took her a while to realise that she was in her bed. She stared across to the sleeping figure, slumped in a chair opposite her. Valin always slept like time had just frozen him; she never knew how he could sleep in such positions. Isildilia went to talk to White Lily, but sense that even she was still sleeping, which wasn’t surprising considering what she just did.  Isildilia pulled the sheets off and saw that she was in her sleeping gown. She glared across to Valin. He didn’t. She flushed bright red with embarrassment.  She’ll need to have a word to him about this, again.

     Suddenly Valin started to writhe in his sleep. He thrashed his head side to side, as if he was plagued by an ill dream. Then he stared to murmur indistinctly.  Isildilia ran over and crouched near him. She’d never seen him move in his sleep before and almost found it fascinating.

   “Valin,” she called out. He didn’t respond. She prodded him lightly, but even that didn’t work. Sweat started to break out on his forehead. 

    “No,” he murmured, “not that. Anything but that!” he yelled.

   “Valin, wake up!” She grabbed his shoulders and shook him. His reaction was explosive. Next thing she knew, something collided with her head, making it ring violently.  Valin had her pinned to the wall, grabbing her by the wrists. He was panting heavily, staring directly into her eyes. Isildilia was terrified. The eyes staring at her weren’t Valin’s. They reminded her of the demon bear.  His nails started to dig into her wrist as his grip tightened.

   “Valin, stop it, you’re hurting me,” she whispered. He suddenly seemed to come to senses. He let her go and stared at his hands.  He fell to his knees. Isildilia had never seen him like this. His hands shook violently as his mind seemed to blank. Isildilia didn’t know how to react. She was too scared to approach him.

   “Are you alright?” she asked from a distance, unwilling to take a step further. Valin didn’t answer. “You had a nightmare, everything is alright now,” she reassured him. Still without saying a word, Valin pushed himself off the floor and shakily sat himself on the edge of her bed. He leant over so far that his hair fell forward and obscured his face. After another minute he finally spoke.

   “I’m sorry,” he said, very slowly. “Are you hurt?” Isildilia shook her head, although she knew that was silly for he wasn’t looking at her. “I’m sorry,” he repeated.

   “Valin, is everything all right?” she dared to ask. He hesitated then nodded. “You’re lying,” she instantly accused.  He sighed heavily.

   “It’s nothing, truly, nothing you should worry about. Isildilia, deciding it was safe, went to stand next to him and placed a tentative hand on his shoulder.

   “Valin, there is something darkening your mind, we all know it. I'm losing Dakelo; please don’t make me lose you too. What’s wrong?’ Valin opened his mouth to speak when suddenly a large horn blasted throughout the entire mountain.  It was a couple of short blasts, followed by a long note, which held a couple of seconds.

   “What was that?” Isildilia asked. Valin stood up.

   “That was the horn for the great gathering. Be ready in no less than an hour,” he commanded. He clapped his hands and suddenly the door flew open. Two women scurried in, dressed as human maids. Isildilia had never seen them before in the short time she had stayed here. One had hair black as ebony, while the other was flaming red. Both of them stood straight as a board as Valin went past.  The black haired maid carried a large, white dress in her arms. Isildilia looked at it and then at Valin.
   “Make sure she is ready,”’ he said as he passed them on his way out.

   “Yes, My Lord,” they both responded together.  They held it up to her and she saw it to be a white, purple and gold ceremonial dress. She knew it was going to be a pain to put on.

    The maids dressed Isildilia so fast that she didn’t even have time to ask them their names.  When finished, they left the room, leaving her alone.

     Isildilia found the dress tight around the waist. The entire thing was white, with gold embroidery around  neck and running down her chest until it reached her waist. The sash around the middle, the bottom rim and part of the lacing around the shoulders, was coloured in a rich purple.  She was even wearing a white laced choker around the neck. It was slightly old fashion, with the large ruffling materiel on the shoulders, but at least they made an effort in trying to provide. It was a beautiful dress

    She stared at herself in the mirror. White Lily stood next to her, wearing the exact same dress.

   “You look better in it,” she told her.  Isildilia’s hair was still not completely white. Only the top part of her head was still her ‘natural’ colour. Her hair hung straight now, nearly approaching her waist in length, she has never had it this long before.

   White Lily was adjusting the pair of white gloves, which came up to her elbows. That may be so, but I do not like wearing these things, it’s like shifting an entire wardrobe of clothes. If I want to get into a fight, I might have to rip the bottoms off, well, you would.

   “Well let’s hope there won’t be a fight.”

    Even so, it’s best to keep that on you. She nodded to Lillarth, which sat in the corner or the room. Isildilia strapped it to her waist before going outside. Valin wasn’t there, but someone else was. Dillith had her head extended as much as she could waiting patiently. Isildilia didn’t hear her enter this time.

   “What are you doing here?” she asked, trying not to sound rude. “Where’s Valin?”

   “He had to go on ahead, to take care of the Earth clans. I will escort you to the gathering room.” Unlike before, her mother had extended her foreleg for her to climb up, because her huge teeth would rip the dress if she picked her up the same way again. Isildilia did not wear any shoes under her dress as none were provided. For some reason she didn’t feel the need for them, it also made clambering up Dillith easier for her as well. She first feared the scales would be too sharp, but walking over them felt like the belly of a snake, so long as she didn’t brush her foot the wrong way.

   Last time they travelled together, Dillith took her into the mountain base, sloping down all the way. This time, they climbed. Dillith ran with surprising speed, claws rapping on the stone, like knife tips drumming in a hypnotic rhytmn. She took numerous tunnels leading further upwards for over ten minutes.

   They didn’t stop until she came across two huge doors, twice the height of Dillith. It was flanked with two gargoyles statues. She thought they were statues, until they both suddenly bowed at their arrival.

    Dillith turned her head to stare at her, her sides heaving under Isildilia’s thighs from the run. “I shall go in now. You must wait until instructed to,” she told her.

    Isildilia leapt off and landed nimbly like a feline. Dillith nodded before proceeding through the opening doors, which closed firmly behind her. Isildilia lent against the tunnel walls. She wasn’t surprised to find herself shaking like a leaf in a storm.

   Pull yourself together! White Lily demanded. You are the dragon princess, you should not fear this. This is no life threatening battle.

   You are the dragon princess, I'm the human image, remember?

   If that is so, I shall now be the one to take control.

   How will you do that? White Lily didn’t tell her but she could feel her presence gripping her wrist. She suddenly found herself, moving without her control. She got so startled that she pushed White Lily away.

   Don't do that. It hurts! she scolded.

   Sorry, it startled me. It was like an irritating itch that I couldn’t refuse.

   Get used to it, she told her, because if you slip up during this, then there will be hell to pay.

   Alright, I get it, no need to get snappy. But even Isildilia could feel that White Lily was nervous. 

    Out of the corner of her eye a quoh walked past. She was intrigued. She had only seen one on paper before. It looked like a walking ball of green hair, with huge bald feet, like that of a human’s, and its little pig-like nose being its only facial feature. It was only a hand span tall, which made it seem extremely cute. It sauntered down the corridor and ran into her foot. It stopped and looked up at her. It squeaked once, then turned and ran, unnaturally fast, out of sight. Isildilia let out a bark of laughter, which helped to clear her head.

   The doors muffled all the sounds coming from inside, so they had no idea what was going on. She stared up at the two guards, who glanced down at her and grunted, but apart from that they were silent. In the minutes that followed she could feel White Lily gripping even her voice, getting used to taking control. It felt like someone pulling on the strings of a puppet.

   When did you learn to do this?

   I used to practice in your sleep, you didn’t notice of course.

   I hope you don’t make a habit of this...

   A large knock resounded on the door. The two guards grabbed the doors and pulled them open on cue, just enough so she can walk through.

   Just relax, don’t do, or say anything. White Lily’s presence over her limbs felt like being plunged into an icy pool, she struggled again not to push her away.

   Let’s hope your studying pays off, Isildilia mentioned. White Lily marched her forwards, into the main chamber.  It was strange, like walking in a dream that she had no control of the outcome, like floating in a cool stream that she had to put her trust into guiding her.

   The resounding noise was defining. There was a mix of both human and beast calls, so loud that it made her jaw judder.  The walls of the chamber we aligned with more of the giant pale-blue crystals, which jutted out at every angle. The chamber’s roof was so tall that it opened to the elements above. She stared up to a black sky, filled with stars. The top half of the chamber was composed of large rocky ledges and perches, each one packed with a large variety of winged creatures.

     On the biggest perch was, she assumed, Lord Pareth. He was a size that was equal to her parents. He looked like some distant ancestor of Killni. He was covered in scaly feathers, and had two sets of golden wings. The front pair were folded forwards and acted like crutches for his top heavy body, while the second remained tucked in close to his back. He had huge back legs like a hawks, with thick black talons clinging onto the rock. His jaw was like a lake serpents, but in four segments, that clicked together like a beetle. He also had three eyes, each one hollow black with yellow irises that danced in its sockets.  His abnormally large tail was wrapped around his perch for security.

She looked further down to see where the other lords are.

    The far right side of the chamber was where Lord Yui waited. The entire section was a huge body of water, held back like a large sheet of glass. The water rippled, like it would on a puddle, as all the sea creatures swam in their schools, the magic astonished her. Lord Yui sat on a throne fashioned out of rock and shells on the floor, twirling her trident in her hand. When she noticed Isildilia looking, she smiled.

     Valin sat on the centre- right. He was on a raised platform, sitting on a stone chair.  She could see Froyza sitting close, but she paid particular attention to the one next to him. A large black wolf, that was blind in one eye sat next to Froyza. Even Killni was there, sitting on his head. How did he get here before us? Even Silvermoon stood there.

     Then she went to look at Lord Dierit. She could clearly see why he was the Lord of Fire. He was what the humans referred to as a lava golem. His entire body was made of miss-shaped rocks, which slotted together like a bad puzzle. The gaps spurted bouts of flames, as well as the hollowed out features which could have been his face. Red cracks covered his rock-like body just like a tatoo. He carried an abnormal red battle-axe in his left hand which also had decorations etched into the metal.  Unlike the others, he chose to stand rather than sit.

    Afterward she quickly swept her eyes over the whole area. There were so many species, some that even she didn’t recognise. She even saw the red robed figures from before sitting against the far wall.

   Then her eyes travelled to her parents, flanked on either side of her. They both were looking down on her, waiting for her to speak.  Hundreds of eyes upon her, all waiting on her; even White Lily was feeling hesitant about approaching to speak. Dillith snaked her head around and rubbed her snout against her, lightly tapping her forwards.

   White Lily suddenly felt overwhelming with confidence, so she marched forwards her head held high. She stood at the front and started to speak. Isildilia was surprised by the words flowing out of her own mouth, even though she wasn’t speaking directly. Not only was White Lily using her to speak out loud, but she also translating for Isildilia inside her own head.

     “My people! For years I have dwelled in the human city; studying them, watching them, learning from them. But now, I have returned -This was met by a blast of calls-Now I have returned, we shall use what I have learnt, to derive a method to gain peace with the humans, hopefully bringing an end to this bloody war.” The earth shook as there was numerous stamping and roars of enthusiasm. White Lily continued her long speech, lasting nearly half an hour. Once she finished she paused. Every set of eyes stared at her, waiting

   Is it the singing now? Isildilia asked.

   Yes.

   Well time to show off our brilliant voice, she said sarcastically.

   You’d be surprised if you had tried it before. She took a few steps forwards and took a couple of deep breaths.

    She didn’t bother translating for Isildilia; she was too busy putting her heart and soul into weaving the tune. Isildilia was surprised by the power of her own voice, or more like White Lily’s voice.  Even Valin’s eyes widened a little from shock, and then he smiled.

   After she finished the first few verses, Dillith and Fivikthq joined in. They both started as a low hum, deep in their chest, then raising their voices out loud.  

    One by one, they joined in. Valin started next, followed by the Earth clan, she could especially hear the wolves’ calls above the rest.  Soon the entire room was singing. She didn’t think that a room full of beasts could make such a beautiful choir. It felt like being at the churches back in city, the walls rang with thousands of singing voices, even the crystals in the walls themselves start to ring louder and louder, vibrating with the noise.  The water clan produced the deepest and highest pitches. The water vibrated with their calls, in a wave of ripples that distorted the images of the creatures inside. The fire clan’s voices boomed out above many others. But the air clans had the most variety of calls.

   They sung for nearly fifteen minutes, until the song was complete. Afterwards, when the last note finally echoed away, no-one said anything, not a hiss or a shriek. She felt a crawling sensation as White Lily retreated from her control.  It left her with a mild numbing sensation that almost caused her to stumble forwards. Fivikthq snaked his head over.   

   “You need not be here for the rest of this,” he told her. She clicked her tongue a few times, to regain the feeling back to talk on her own.

   “No, I shall stay. I’d rather not be kept out of this.”

    Fivikthq let his tongue rasp past his fangs quickly. “Suite yourself.”  He opened his jaw and let out a bout of bright orange flame, making every eye turn to him in awed silence. Isildilia took a few steps back to sit by her mother’s side. While they spoke, White Lily was still translating for her.

   “As many of you know, there is a blight over our land, one that we cannot fight. -There came a quick round of hisses from some creatures- From the reports I have received from our Lord Valin, there is cases in the forests, both in our domains and in the humans. What I want to know now is, how bad it is in the other clans?” From above; there came a rattling cry from Lord Pareth.  They all looked up.

    His voice was piercing as he shrieked, “I have noticed from my observation, that this is no random phenomenon. Whatever this is, it’s being selective. It is targeting the strong and powerful. Smaller creatures are being left alone.” She saw many heads bob in agreement.

   “Then we can assume that this is something being purposely spread,” declared Lord Dierit, his voice rumbled like a boulder rolling downhill.

    “That is the only possibility. No illness or diseases can act like this. This must be the human’s doing.”

   “What can humans possibly gain from doing this?” shrilled Lord Yui.

   “Maybe they intend to wipe us all out, pit us against each other.”

   “No,” said Valin. “If that was so, they would target everyone, not just the strong.” He stood up so they could see him clearer. “I have encountered many infected cases upon my travels here and they all speak of the same thing. Their Master. Whoever he is, he is the one doing this. We do not know whether he is human or not, acting in a group or doing it alone. But we can completely rule out this being a natural occurrence. Their Master is defiantly planning something. We even had one incident, in which one even spoke of delivering her Highness in particular.” There was a mass call of outrage, the memory made Isildilia shudder.

   “We must send more spies in to infiltrate!” demanded Lord Dierit as he rammed the handle of his battle axe into the ground.

   “Impossible. We do not understand the human’s ways that well. Our spies get found out easily. This is why we sent our daughter into their territory in the first place,” said her father.

   “Yes, but the longer we prolong it, the worse the situation will become.”

   “Then the only way is to take care of the abominations walking around our lands, at least until we can find a cure or alternative solution,” Lord Yui suggested.

   “But how can we tell, most of them don’t reveal themselves until the last moment.  Even then, dealing with them is hard, they are hard to kill and how do we know that killing them means that it hasn’t moved to a different host...”

     The meeting dragged on longer than she hoped for. Hours later, she started to whip her tail back and forth irritably, even though she didn’t mean to. Dillith picked up on it easily. She snaked her head up produced a strange call- like someone blowing a horn- vibrating inside her own nose.  The entire congress fell silent.

  “We shall stop this dithering conversation for a later date.” That was all she said, and everything started to leave the chamber, without question.  Dillith nudged Isildilia onto her back and took her away, through the back door.

   “Thank you,” Isildilia told her, “I don’t know how much more of that I could take.” Dillith returned to human tongue once more.”

   “I always hate meetings like that. The males tend to dither some-what dreadfully. I was just getting as annoyed as you were.”

    Isildilia chuckled to herself.  “I guess I've got some writing to do now.”

    Dillith snorted, “a lot.”
   “But how will I know what to write?”

   “I will have your guardians assigned to help you with that.”

   “My guardians?”

   “We will meet them at your chamber.”

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

223 6 14
There are stories about the supernatural, many stories about ghosts and spirits, or even about mythical creatures, but none of those stories can comp...
2.3K 182 27
Just when Michael and Angelica think they can be together the supernatural world threatens to tear them apart and turn their perfect world upside dow...
54.7K 3.2K 29
Evanora is one of the last witches of her kind that has the knowledge of all spells for both dark and white magic. She has the abilities not many hav...
697 48 38
"Everyone loves a good fantasy, but my life was turned upside down by one." What would you do if you had the ability to control the air? How about if...