The Exception

By amn1011

When unexplained reasons push Josh Williams away from his dysfunctional, backstabbing family, he must go to g... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Q and A, Sequel Announcement, and Appreciation
"The Deception" Preview: Chapter 1

Chapter 40

415 16 1
By amn1011

*Selena POV*

Although the pain was ripping through me, I fought to maintain my focus. As I turned my eyes back towards Josh,  I felt the vibrations of footsteps getting closer. I could hardly focus on anything as the pain was progressively getting worse.

It felt as though everything around me was muffled as an unfamiliar voice called out.

"Everyone move aside. I can help him."

Light whispers were heard all around me, but I couldn't focus on anything specific. 

"Do it." I suddenly heard Jake's voice more clearly than the rest.

Clenching my hands shut, I kept trying to push through. But, I knew I was deceiving myself. This wasn't the kind of pain you could just push through.

Then, a single heartbeat echoed in my ears.

As my vision started to blur, all of my pain abruptly stopped. All at once Jake's scent lessened and my arm no longer felt sensitive to his touch.

As I closed my eyes, I heard a light gasp escape from Josh, causing me to quickly turn my head towards him.

"Josh?" My eyes welled with tears again.

"He's going to be fine," The unfamiliar voice rang out. 

It was then that I noticed the guy on the other side of Josh who looked vaguely familiar. 

"... Aaron?" I questioned hesitantly.

A light chuckle escaped from his lips, "Sorry, I don't think we've met. My name is Nathan, Aaron's twin."

"Nice to meet you," I smiled as I wiped away a few stray tears from my eyes.

I felt the light touch on my shoulder disappear as I looked back towards Jake. He smiled, relief in his eyes as he walked away. Turning back towards Nathan, he continued.

"I could say the same, though I wish we could have met under a less dire situation," a kind smile formed on his face that vastly contrasted the sinister smile I witnessed from Aaron.

"He had me worried for a bit there, but thankfully, I was able to bring him back."

Those last words caught me by surprise, "Bring... him back?"

"Yeah," Nathan put his hand on the back of his neck, "He technically died on us there for a few moments."

As my thoughts suddenly became hazy, I felt like I could pass out any moment now.

"Selena?" I heard a soft, voice snap me back to reality as I looked down into rich, brown eyes.

"Josh..." my voice trailed off as I could feel my body shaking.

"It's good to see you're okay," a weak smile spread across his now human face.

Although many words flooded my mind, all I could do is throw my arms around his neck.

"I'm glad too," Tyler chuckled as he threw clothes at Josh's face.

"You're welcome, by the way," Tyler winked and I could help but laugh.

For now, I'm just happy to be alive.

*Jake's POV*

As soon as Nathan nodded at me, I knew Josh was going to be fine. I was relieved, for Selena's sake. My hand weakly fell to my side, but I didn't think she'd notice. She looked back at me and I put on a smile for her sake as I walked away.

But... I can't believe...

There's no way I could have imagined that. When Josh died, I felt it. I was so overcome with emotion, I didn't know what to say.

I was happy! Or at least, I think I would have been if the situation was different...

I continued walking across the field kicking my feet as I went.

"Jake, what's wrong?" Nicole's voice sounded from behind me.

Slowly turning to face her, I knew I must have looked lost and confused, "I... I don't know, Nicole. But, it all makes sense now."

The reasons I had feelings for Selena, the reason I want to protect her so much...

Nicole tilted her head, "What do you mean?"

Avoiding her gaze, I looked down at the grass, "Selena... she's my mate."

As I slowly lifted my head, I should see she was utterly shocked, "Are... are you sure?"

"Yes. While we were running to Selena, as soon as she collapsed on the ground that's when it hit me. My heart raced, her scent was amplified, and... when she looked back at me..."

I paused, clutching my chest, "I could hardly breathe."

"Well," she paused, "That could mean anything-"

"No," I cut her short, "She looked at me the same way I looked at her. I knew she must have felt it too. But she was obviously confused. I know it was real because as soon as Josh came back to life, the smell faded away and I felt this minor pain as our bond lessened. Now, I'm just left with questions."

So much confusion filled my mind I didn't know what to do with it. I couldn't have just imagined that, right?

"Well," Nicole's voice broke me from my inner thoughts, "When we get back, I think you should come over to my pack for a while. I might know someone who can help you figure out why she is your mate."

Sensing my hesitation, she added, "If you want to, anyway."

After a moment, I finally nodded, "Yeah, thanks, Nicole. I'll take you up on that offer."

Not long after the words left my lips, Selena came running towards Nicole. 

Shaking my head, I looked at her, "What are you doing now-" Suddenly she opened her arms and hugged both me and Nicole at the same time.

"I couldn't thank you guys enough," She muttered into my shoulder.

"Well, what kind of friends would we be if we didn't come after you and Amy?" Nicole shrugged.

Pulling back, tears welled up in her eyes as Selena looked at me with a smile, "I love you, guys,"

Although she was speaking to both of us, her eyes never left mine.

Suddenly, our moment was interrupted when we felt a bunch of arms around us.

"I want in on the group hug!" Tyler chuckled. 

"We felt like we were missing out," Anton joined in.

"Yeah! I can't believe y'all started a group hug without us!" Colt said.

As I was surrounded by all those who helped us fight, I was overwhelmed with emotion. We came out here unsure if we were even going to make it out. But standing here, knowing that we all survived,  it brought me closer to those around me. 

We did it and Aaron lost.

But most of all, we did it together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 428 50
An entanglement of betrayal, revenge, love, and supernatural war: Mirajane; the dusk princess and sole white wolf of the werewolf world. ...... When...
16K 804 13
// Completed // Spencer Croft is the Beta of the Wolfe Creek pack and future Luna of it. But after having spent the last four years fighting in the...
25.6K 1K 11
Jackson Rhodes is on the run from his home pack. His Goddess-given mate assaulted him and then rejected him. He has nowhere to go. Until he comes upo...
211K 7.4K 33
One night changes Sierra's life forever when she loses everything except her toddler niece. In charge of the last six members of her pack, it is up...