Breaking Free » l.∤.

By phoebe_memeseok

[One Direction + 5sos ft. some AOT characters] Katie is a simple Californian girl. She has a stressful life b... More

Chapter 1 - It Started With A Pie
Chapter 2 - The Follow
Chapter 3 - The Message
Chapter 4 - Sleepovers & Pepsi
Chapter 5 - Breaking The Ice
Chapter 6 - Forbidden
Chapter 7 - Just A Fan
Chapter 8 - Skype
Chapter 9 - The Baked Potato Co.
Chapter 10 - Hurricane Eudora
Chapter 12 - Hero
Chapter 13 - The Surprise
Chapter 14 - Adonna And Lewis
Chapter 15 - The Concert
Chapter 16 - The Quiet Dinner
Chapter 17 - Broken Friendship
Chapter 18 - Prom & Anime
Chapter 19 - Eleanor's Depression
Chapter 20 - Pain & Darkness
Chapter 21 - Last Hope
Chapter 22 - Ghosts and Pranks
Chapter 23 - Funeral
Chapter 24 - Drunk In Love
Chapter 25 - Harry's Anime Convention
Chapter 26 - Sasha & Levi
Chapter 27 - The Stars Over America
Chapter 28 - 5 Seconds of Ponies & Pervs
Chapter 29 - Kidnapped
Chapter 30 - Las Vegas
Chapter 31 - Katie's Demons
Chapter 32 - Happier Days
Chapter 33 - Broken Free (Final Chapter)

Chapter 11 - College Rescue

473 25 9
By phoebe_memeseok

(A/N) This is probably going to be the most interesting and dramatic chapter I've written in awhile so enjoy my dears. C:

DRAMA AND ACTION ARE AHEAD.

Angel's POV:

I felt a sharp pain in my back that caused me to wake up. I couldn't remember the last thing that happened. Where was I? How did I get here?

*last night*

"I'm going home." My roommate Bethany said as she sloppily piled clothes into her suitcase. "I don't care if they haven't issued an official evacuation notice yet. I don't want to be here when the hurricane arrives. I'm going back home."

"Are you sure it's safe to leave? I think it's already starting to rain." I said, peering through the curtains on the window.

"It's not supposed to be here yet? Must be a random shower." She ignored me and headed towards the door.

"Beth, please don't leave. It's not safe. It's too late now." I stood up and tried to stop her but she refused.

"Stay safe Ange. I'll call you when I get home." She said and walked out the door. There was no way she was going to back it back to her family in time. They lived hours away. I couldn't stop her though, her mind was made up.

"Angel!" My dorm neighbor, Natalie, who lived right across the hall from my room came running in just before I closed the door.

"What are you doing?" I laughed a little at her as she gasped for air. "Calm down, what's going on?" My face turned serious as I realized something seemed wrong about this.

"The hurricane is coming tonight! They were wrong!" She said quickly. "I'm gonna go tell the principal. They haven't made any preparations for it yet because it wasn't supposed to be here until Sunday." Natalie turned around and made a sprint towards the doorway.

"Ok hurry! Go and...oh my gosh!" I shouted.

"What?" Natalie turned around and looked at me.

"Bethany! She's leaving because she doesn't think it's coming until Sunday. We have to stop her!" I ran past Natalie and we went out separate ways. She headed towards the principal's room and I ran to find Bethany. I arrived got outside in the parking lot, it was already pouring rain and the winds were really picking up. "Bethany? Where are you?!" I yelled in every direction. I couldn't see her anywhere but the visibility was minimal with all this rain and wind. Not to mention it was already dark out and there were few security lights in the parking lot. "Bethany, please can you hear me?!" Just as I said that all the lights in the parking lot went out. Everything grew dark and I panicked.

"Angel!" I heard a voice shout back to me. It sounded like Bethany's voice.

"Beth! I can't see you but we have to get inside! The storm is coming now!"

"You think?" She laughed at me. This was no time to laugh but Beth wasn't a very serious person. She made most serious situations lighter. I felt her hand on my shoulder and she guided me into the building. As we closed the doors I heard what sounded like something huge blowing past us in the wind. It hit something and I heard glass breaking.

"What was that?" I said uneasily.

"I don't know. It sounded like it was outside so..." Before she could finish her sentence the glass doors in front of us broke open and what looked like a tree was lying in front of us on the carpeted floor. "Run!" She shouted and we ran up the stairs to our room. I jiggled the handle, my hands shaking and unable to do it any faster. We eventually got inside and, just as we did, I heard a loud creaking sound above me and everything went black.

*end of flashback*

Now that I remembered what happened I could try to figure out how to get out of this mess. Everything was so dark. I was surrounded with boards and what I imagine was pieces of wall. I must still be in my dorm room then. Well, what was left of it anyway. The ceiling had definitely caved in and possibly the bottom floor as well. There was some rays of sunslight shining in between the debris, lighting my area just enough so I could see. Where was Bethany? I hoped she got out already but part of me hoped she would still be here to help me.

I pushed on some of the boards in front of me, seeing if I could get them to budge but they wouldn't. Then I tried to move my legs but they were burried in debris as well. I was going to be stuck here for awhile wasn't I? "Someone help me!" I called out, desparately hoping someone was out there looking for us. There was no answer. I was about to shout again when I heard a board rustling around above my head. "Hello? Is someone there?" The board was lifted up, exposing more sunlight onto me. Then another board disappeard and the next one as well.. Someone was definitely above me trying to remove these boards. My rescuer grabbed my arm and pulled me up through the rest of the debris until I was free. "Katie!" My eyes focused on the dirt-covered face of my sister. I threw my arms around her. This was so ironic, I was older than her. I should be saving her, not the other way around.

"I was so worried." She breathed into my ear. "I can't lose you and Emily in the same week."

"How did you get here?"

"Bike." Katie said, pointing behind her to bike lying far away in the grass. Then I took in the scenary. Nothing looked familiar. It was like a completely different town. There was still quite a bit left of the school itself but the dorms were completely destroyed. Most of them had trees lying through the middle and roofs were missing. Mine was the first dorm room so it got the worst of it and was completely demolished.

"I can't believe you peddled all the way over here." I laughed and she helped me to stand up. I was surprised my legs weren't broken after all that. I was very lucky to even be alive.

"Hey, I don't have that much in my life. I have to protect what I've got, ya know?" She said as the two of us stood there, staring out into all the destruction before us.

"How's the house? Are Mom and Dad ok?" I asked her.

"Yeah, they're...oh shit! They don't know I'm gone. They're gonna freak out."

"They didn't know you're here?"

"Do you honestly think they would have let me come if they knew?" She had a point there. She stood up and walked through the rubble, trying to get to her bike.

"Well, no they probably wouldn't have. The rescue crews aren't even here yet." I said and followed her to her bike.

"You want to ride on my handlebars?" She asked me once she picked up her bike.

"No I think I should stay here so when they principal comes out and the authorties they'll know I'm ok. Oh wait, I need to find Bethany and Natalie. I have no idea where they are. Oh my gosh, Bethany was with me, I bet she's in all this rubbled somewhere." I got choked up by the thought of one of my friends dying in such a horrible way and I covered my face with my hands. Katie dropped her bike and came to my side, putting her hands on my shoulders and pulling me into a hug.

"Shhh, it's ok. I'll stay here and help you look for them." Katie said. She walked away from me and started pushing around some wood and rocks again. "Gonna help me?" She turned to me and asked. I was just standing there like a zombie while she did the work. I dropped to my knees and started moving rubble around as well.

"Wait stop!" I said.

"What?" Katie quickly stopped and looked at me.

"I heard something." I said while putting my finger to her mouth to shush her. Then I heard it again. There was definitely some sort of mumble undernearth all this debris. Katie heard it too because she started frantically moving things again. She seemed to have an idea of what spot the sound was coming from. The two of us dug through the debris. It wasn't long before we saw someone's hand and soon uncovered her whole body. It was Bethany and she was alive. "Oh thank God." I said and Katie and I carefully pulled her out of the hole she was in.

"Are you alright?" Katie asked.

"My leg." Bethany said, weakly. It was scary to hear someone wtih as much energy and positvity as her act so helpless. "I think my leg is broken." She winced as Katie touched her leg.

"Yep, definitely broken." Katie admitted and laid Bethany back easily. Then, out of nowhere the principal and Natalie appeared beside us.

"Oh God, are you girls ok?" He walked up to us and asked. "Who's this?" He looked at Katie's face.

"I'm Angel's sister, sir." Katie said and he nodded in acknowledgement. "I came to check on her."

"I see. Are you alright dear?" He kneeled beside Bethany and looked at her leg carefully.

"No, it's broken." She moaned in pain as he touched her leg.

"What about you?" He asked me.

"I'm fine somehow." I said, still in disbelief that I lived through all of that.

"Ok, why don't you girls go home. I'm going to call an ambulance for Bethany." The principal said and we agreed.

"Stay safe, honey." Natalie gave me a hug before I joined Katie on her bike. It was awkward riding on the handlebars because she's actually a little bit shorter than me. I couldn't help but feel like we should switch places but my sister seemed to know what she was doing.

"There's a lot more water now." Katie said, turning to the right to avoid a large puddle and then turned down a different road to avoid an even larger one up ahead. Katie stopped the bike abruptly, nearly sending me flying off the front of the bike.

"Why did we stop?" I asked her as I stood up.

She was just staring ahead at the random house in front of her. It wasn't our house but I didn't recognize it. It didn't look too damaged. There was parts of a tree lying on the roof and the garage door was dented in and broken in half. All the windows were broken out as well. "This is...Emily's house." Katie said quietly. Oh gosh, I didn't even recognize it. Maybe there was more damage than I originally thought after all? Katie got off the bike and ran towards the door. I followed her of course. "Emily." She pounded on the door. "Please open up. I need to know you're safe." The door flew open and Emily threw her arms around Katie. I let the two hug for a moment before joining them for a group hug.

"God, I've never been so scared in my life." Emily said as we separated from our hug.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I mean. I am but...my dad isn't here and my mom is drunk out of her mind. There's no power or anything."

"Yeah, I don't think anyone has electricty right now." I laughed.

The slamming of a car door behind us caught our attention and we turned around simultaneously to see the worried faces of my mom, dad, and Sasha.

"Oh crap." Katie mumbled and Emily took a step back.

"I knew it How dare you sneak out in a storm to see her again after we forbid you not to!" Our mom walked over to us, getting right into Katie's face. This seemed so cruel and unusual under the circumstances.

"Mom, it's not like that. I was on my way back from the university. I went to get Angel and..."

"I inisisted we stop here." I blurted out.

"What?" My mom looked at me.

"It was my fault not hers. Katie saved me, she literally saved me. You should be proud of her. It was my fault, I insisted we stop here on the way back so I could check on Emily. Katie didn't want to because she was worried about getting into trouble. I'm sorry I just thought we should make sure she was alive." Emily smiled at me for taking the blame for Katie and Katie looked at me in shock.

"Um, y-yeah." Katie agreed.

My mom couldn't do anything about it if it was my fault. I didn't live with her anymore and I was an adult now. She couldn't ground me.

"Alright, let's get you two home but we are going to talk about this later." As soon as my mom turned away and headed back to the car, Katie gave Emily a quick goodbye hug and we followed mom.

"Why did you cover for me?" Katie whispered to me as we got into the car.

"Because you're my sister and I love you. And I kind of owed you for saving my life after all." I said.

"Oh you still owe me, saving a life versus a week grounded doesn't even come close to even." She grinned at me and I laughed.

Liam's POV:

"Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please..." God, Louis why are you so annoying? I swear, I'm about to slap him. This was just getting more ridiculous than I imagined. First he's obssesed with Tweeting her, then he Skypes with her, now he begs us to add an additional tour date so he can meet her? Really? If he wasn't dating Eleanor I might have a different attitude about this. I know she's incredibly understanding but I didn't want Louis to get carried away in the danger and excitement of this and end up doing something to hurt their relationship.

"Louis, shut up! Do you even realize how ridiculous you sound?" I looked down at the boy who was squatting in front of me on his knees, pleading to me. "Get up, mate, have some dignity!" I scolded him and he did as I said and sat next to me on the couch.

"Please, Liam it's only one show!"

"Why is it so important to see her? I'm not sure I understand?" I looked at Zayn who was sitting across from me.

"He thinks she's dead or something..." Zayn mumbled.

"Ok, so you want to check on her to see if she's dead? How exactly do you intend on finding her? Do you even know her name?"

"Of course I know her name! I don't know, I'll hire a private investigator to figure it out for me."

"Am I really the only one that thinks this sounds creepy?" I said, looking at Zayn who shrugged in response. "You're going to stalk this poor girl? For real Louis? What has gotten into you?!"

"What's going on in here?" Harry walked in, eating a banana. Typical Harry.

"He's trying to get us to do a show in Katie's town. Can you believe it?"

"Oh, great idea Louis!" Harry sat down next to him.

"Are you kidding me?!" I protested, standing up. I couldn't stand to sit next to these two idiots anymore. "How is that a great idea? You're really encouraging this?"

"He wants to see Sasha..." Zayn mumbled again.

"Oh of course he does." I crossed my arms. "And I assume you plan on stalking her as well?"

"Not stalking!" Harry said with a mouthfull of banana. "I want to ask for her forgiveness and tell her I'll leave her alone now."

"You can't do that in a message on Twitter?! You'd rather fly thousands of miles away to do that?!"

Perrie walked in the room suddenly and sat next to Zayn. "Ooh I've never been to Southern California. This sounds fun. I'd love to see the beach."

"Sounds like fun, babe. I'll take you there." Zayn said, kissing her on the cheek.

"I'm going to lose this thing aren't I?" I said as I slouched back into my chair and listened to everyone already making plans.

(A/N) So is this story finally getting interesting? I know it's been a little dull so far but there's a LOT more drama to come.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

293K 8.6K 151
I got bored... Contains: 1D ( Zayn included ) 5Sos
5.2K 137 49
(5SOS/1D Fanfic) Every girl secretly or sometimes not so secretly wishes for a cliche romance. Whether it be a heartwarming first love or a dream wed...
178K 1.6K 126
I write a bunch of preferences, some mine, some not. You can always request one if you would like a speciel one :)
249 40 15
!!DISCONTINUED!! I wrote this when I was like 12. I only republished it in hopes it would inspire someone else to stand up to family members who are...