Mr. Anonymous

By astoldbyjen

Audrey Greene has always been a bit of a loner. Content to listen to her music and bury her nose in a book, s... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Epilogue

Chapter 3

11.2K 520 271
By astoldbyjen

Audrey sat on Jade's bed as Jade stood in front of her mirror, caking make up on her face.

"Please let me do your makeup, Auds!" Jade asked for the millionth time as Audrey ignored her and continued reading her book.

Jade huffed. "At least let me help you pick out something nice to wear!"

Audrey looked at her, offended. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

"We're going to the Twist Lounge, Auds. You don't exactly look like you're ready to rock out." Jade said shaking her head.

"Fine, I'll look through your closet while you finish up, but I doubt I'll find anything that fits me." Audrey conceded as she started poking through the hangers. She actually found a black suede mini skirt that she liked and a black leather jacket. Luckily, Jade and Audrey wore the same shoe size, so Audrey picked a pair of black booties out of the back of Jade's closet. Audrey kept the Beatles t-shirt and went in the bathroom to change.

She stepped out and twirled in front of Jade.

"So? Better?" Audrey asked tentatively.

"Damn girl you look badass." Jade said appreciatively.

An hour later and both girls were walking out the door, ready to go.

They finally arrived at the Twist Lounge and had their hands stamped as they walked in to show they were underage. Just as Audrey expected, there was a huge crowd that night and she started to breath shallowly at the sight. Luckily, Jade had taken care of everything.

"Come on, it'll be okay. Just breathe. Christian got us seats right up front away from the crowd so you don't have to worry about a thing. Follow me." She said right into Audrey's ear to make sure she heard her over the crowd.

Audrey instantly calmed slightly and held her friend's hand as they made their way around the crowd. As soon as they made it to their seats, Christian popped up, seemingly out of nowhere with a few guys trailing behind him. As they got closer, Audrey noticed Noah was one of the guys in Christian's possy and started to smile when she caught sight of who was behind him.

Jack ran a hand through his hair, openly staring at her with a look of shock. Audrey stared right back. She had to admit, he looked good.

He was wearing a tight black t-shirt that showed off the muscles in his arms. The shirt read "Life is for Living" and Audrey caught herself staring at his chest a little too long.

"What are you doing here?" Jack asked, still staring at Audrey.

"I'm here to see Rockplay's set. What are you doing here?" She replied, still too shocked at his appearance to think through her response.

"I'm in Rockplay. I'm the guitarist." Jack responded, unaware that the whole group was watching their conversation like a tennis match, their heads going back and forth between the two.

"Wait. How do you two even know each other??" Jade asked, confused.

Noah spoke up, "They met this morning while you two," gesturing between Jade and Christian, "were making out in front of the school."

Audrey looked at him, confused. "How did you know that? You weren't there."

Jack's eyes went wide, and he looked at Noah with a panicky expression.

"Uhhh.. I.. well.. because.. oh gee would you look at the time we need to go get ready for our set. See ya later Audrey!" Noah blurted, running in the opposite direction, Jack following behind him.

"Weirdos." Christian muttered and gave Jade a kiss on the mouth before following after them.

"Why didn't you tell me you talked to Jack??" Jade turned on Audrey as soon as Christian was out of earshot.

"It was a five minute conversation! Besides I was a total spaz anyway so it's not like it matters!" Audrey muttered.

"It completely does matter!! Jack Matthews talked to you of his own free will!" Jade said enthusiastically.

"So? I'm sure he talks to girls all the time. Look at him." Audrey gestured as the band walked out on stage and started setting up.

"No he doesn't, Auds. He's basically like the male equivalent of you. Christian said he basically never talks to anyone besides their friends. Heck I don't think he's even spoken to me yet!" Jade exclaimed as Christian stepped up to the microphone.

"Hey we're Rockplay and we hope you're ready to rock!" Christian yelled and the drums launched into the song.

Audrey was distracted as she let Jade's words replay in her head. Surely she was exaggerating. Jack seemed completely confident to her when she thought back on their exchange. She was the one who came across as socially inept and awkward, she thought to herself.

She came out of her reverie as she heard the most amazing guitar solo she had ever heard live and her eyes snapped up to Jack. Sweat rolled down his temples as he slammed into the guitar, his fingers moving fast as he quickly strummed the different notes. Audrey was mesmerized as he played.

As his solo came to a close and Christian's vocals came back in, a small, triumphant smile lit up Jack's face. His eyes scanned the crowd, catching Audrey's transfixed gaze and he smiled widely. Audrey's mouth dropped open. She could hardly believe someone as talented and gorgeous as him was smiling at her. His smile seemed to get bigger as he registered her expression and refocused on his playing.

Great now he thinks I'm some lovesick groupie. Audrey thought to herself.

The band continued playing and Audrey got lost in the music. Rockplay was even better live and she had to admit that Jack was an incredible guitarist.

At the end of their set, Christian leaned into the microphone and said, "You've been a great crowd tonight! We're gonna finish this up with an original song, called 'Secret Heart.'"

"Ugh I love this song." Jade said dreamily.

Audrey could see why. The tune was catchy, but the lyrics were beautiful.

It's obvious you're meant for me
Every piece of you, just fits perfectly
Every second, every thought, I'm in so deep
But I'll never show it on my face
But know this, you've got my secret heart, darlin
You've got my secret heart, darlin

Audrey swayed to the music, lost in the song. She was sad when it ended and the band exited the stage.

"That was amazing." Audrey breathed, still caught up in the emotions the song brought out in her.

"I know, right? I can't believe..." Jade was cut off as Christian swept her off her feet from behind and pulled her in for a passionate kiss.

Audrey sighed and grew increasingly uncomfortable as Christian and Jade's makeout session turned into a groping session. The two stumbled, still making out, towards the stage.

Audrey sighed loudly, aggravated that Jade had done exactly what she had promised not to. She took a seat and started to dig through her bag for her book when she saw Noah walking up to her out of the corner of her eye.

"Hey short stuff!" He called out as he got closer.

"Hey!" She grinned, happy to see him. "That was amazing! You guys are so good!" She exclaimed, not noticing Jack walking up behind them.

"And that last song? Secret Heart? That was ridiculously good! I can't believe that you guys wrote that! The lyrics are so beautiful!" She trailed off as Jack walked up, a grin on his face.

"Well actually..." Noah started to respond, but was quickly cut off by Jack.

"It's a group effort, but thanks." Jack answered for him, Noah looking confused.

Audrey pulled out her phone as she felt it buzz from a text.

Could you get a ride home from Noah? I'm gonna be busy for a while ;)

XOXO
JADE

"You've gotta be kidding me." Audrey muttered, annoyed.

"What's wrong?" Noah asked, concerned.

"Oh, just the usual. Jade ditching me to hook up with her boyfriend as always." Audrey mumbled, so annoyed that she forgot her audience.

"Well, hey, if you need a ride home, I'm sure that Jack could take you, right Jacky?" Noah said turning to him with a huge grin on his face.

"O-oh I couldn't i-impose like that, I'm fine." Audrey stuttered, flushed at the idea of being alone in a car with Jack.

"No really it's no problem, right Jack?" Noah said again, seemingly trying to communicate something to Jack through their minds.

"I mean I-I don't mind if you don't mind.." Jack trailed off, looking at the ground, waiting for her response.

"I mean if you really don't mind..." Audrey started quietly.

"It's settled then!" Noah boomed, causing Audrey to jump from the sudden volume. Noah quickly stalked away, waving goodbye over his shoulder.

Audrey and Jack both avoided eye contact.

"Umm...I'm just this way.." Jack said, pointing a thumb behind his back.

Audrey nodded and followed him quietly to his car. When he walked up to a red 1966 Corvette Stingray, her jaw dropped.

Completely forgetting her nerves, she exclaimed, "There is no way this is your car!"

"It was my dad's in high school. I got to have it when I turned 16." He explained as Audrey walked around the car, admiring its beauty. She trailed her fingers lightly over the glossy paint job and sighed in wonder.

"You are so lucky. This is my dream car." She sighed, still mesmerized by the Corvette.

"Really?" He replied, clearly surprised and flattered.

Audrey suddenly remembered where she was and who she was with and snapped out of her daze. A blush rose to her cheeks as she responded.

"Umm yeah. Slash drove a 1966 Corvette Stingray. His was black, though." She muttered.

Jack stared at her in amazement.

"Slash..." he trailed off, still amazed that she knew something like that. Audrey mistook it as confusion.

"You know? Slash? From Guns N' Roses?" She asked incredulously.

"I know who Slash is." He replied, still stunned as he got in the car.

The two drove in silence for a few minutes. Jack had finally snapped out of his shock and realized he didn't know where she lived.

He cleared his throat. "Where to?"

"Oh I live over on 5th Avenue. Just turn right at the Seven Eleven and keep going. It's a big blue house on your left." She explained in a quiet voice.

The silence stretched as the two rode on.

Audrey started wondering if she should try to start a conversation.

He's going to think your mute or something! Say something! Audrey thought to herself.

She looked over at him and blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

"What's the shirt?" She blurted out and mentally face palmed.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"I-I meant what's the meaning behind your shirt? I noticed it earlier." She explained, blushing fiercely.

What's the shirt?? What's the shirt?!?!Audrey mentally berated herself.

"Oh right. Life is for Living is a nonprofit devoted to suicide prevention and awareness. I think it's an important cause." He explained quietly.

This guy isn't real. This is all a dream and when you wake up, you'll wish that a person like this really existed, but they don't really. He's too good to be true. Audrey thought to herself.

"Oh. That's wonderful." She replied as he pulled up to her house then paused when she realized how that came out.

"Not that suicide is wonderful, obviously I meant the non profit is wonderful!" She blushed fiercely again wondering if she would ever be able to form a coherent sentence around Jack without embarrassing herself.

Jack chuckled. "It's okay, I knew what you meant."

Audrey was grateful that Jack was being so nice to her even though she had been acting like she didn't know how to talk to other human beings since the moment they met.

Caught up in her gratefulness, Audrey said sincerely, "Thank you so much for the ride, Jack." And smiled up at him.

Jack's face went blank and he stared at her. He quickly cleared his throat and stuttered, "Y-you're w-welcome, Audrey." His voice cracking a little on her name.

Audrey got out of the car and headed up the walkway to her house. She turned back around when she got to the door and realized Jack was waiting to make sure she got in her house okay.

Audrey smiled and pulled open her door, waving back.

------------------

Credits for song lyrics go to Little Mix. I slightly changed the lyrics to fit the story, but the majority are from the song Secret Love Song.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.4K 737 17
"But Zachary remember this.... Although you are alone. You are not unwanted." Audrey knows nothing about how it feels to be happy. She lives each a...
200K 6.2K 31
Life is hard but Audrey's life is harder. She had a rough life back in her old school and she's willing to move to a new and better school but little...
369K 10.3K 30
George gets a text from a unknown number, he's scared at first but soon him and the unknown person become more and more of friends
9.8K 289 55
Justin Bieber gets a text from an unknown number after his performance in Canada. He soon figure out that Nina Harvey happen to be a huge fan of his...