The Switch: An X-Files Fanfic...

By SculderForEver

When Mulder and Scully go looking in a rundown, abandoned apartment for something of extraterrestrial origin... More

Prologue
Chapter 1

Chapter 2

912 49 59
By SculderForEver

Washington D.C.

12:03 p.m.

March 26th, 1994

Scully's POV

        I woke up feeling better than I had when I woke up in the hospital.  I look over at the clock on my bedside; 12:03.  Oh my god!  My godson's birthday party is in 3 hours! I calculate how long of a drive it will be, and since it's a Saturday, the traffic won't be as bad.  Still, that means it will take me an hour to get there. I still have to take a bath, get him a gift, and get some of the party supplies.

        Ugh, this is too much for me.  How does Mulder do it? Oh, that's right: he doesn't have a life.

        I start some coffee and go turn on the water for my bath.  As soon as the shower was warm enough, I started to get undressed.  I started by taking off my shoes, as I hadn't done so early this morning when I arrived.  But, these shoes aren't my shoes.  I wore heels last night.  These are male dress shoes.  Kind of like Mulder's.

        Ohmigod! Nononononononononono! This isn't real! I look at the mirror in my bathroom, and scream.

        "AH!" I am in Mulder's body! Thank God I didn't take any other clothing off. I wouldn't have liked to be surprised with his, ummm... 

        I turn the bath off, I'm not showering in his body! I go over to my phone and call Mulder.

Mulder's POV

        I wake up on my couch after a very stiff sleep.  I look at my clock, and note that it's only 12.  I stretch, and rub my eyes.  That's weird, my hands feel a bit softer and smaller than usual.  I sit up on the couch, putting my red hair behind my ears as it had gotten in my face when I sat up.

        Wait, I don't have red hair. I look down at my hands, they look like Scully's hands. What's going on?!  I run as fast as I could to my bathroom, which wasn't as fast as I usually ran, and look at my mirror.

        There, in my reflection, is Scully.  What happened last night? Or, is this still last night? I start pinching my self to see if I can wake up.

        After a few pinches I look at my, well, Scully's, left arm in horror.  The red marks from the pinches prove this isn't a dream.  Oh no, I'm in Scully's body.

        Wait, I'm in Scully's body! Me, Fox Mulder, in Dana Scully's body.  One of the hottest women in the Bureau.  And I'm in her body....

        Suddenly, a thought occurs to me, I'm sure Scully doesn't want her body getting stinky and gross, so I'll just take a shower and get clean....

        Wait, I'm better than that. This isn't how I roll.  I give Scully my utmost respect, and she gives me hers.  I can't go and violate her body without her knowing! She'd freak. Well, maybe one peek wouldn't hurt...

        And just as I'm about to do so, the phone rings. Who could be calling me? I rarely get calls... I walk over to the phone, and pick it up off the receiver.

       "Mulder," I say, almost in a defeated kind of tone.

Scully's POV

        "You're not Mulder... Ma'am? May I ask who this truly is?" She sounded like me, no, wait, exactly like me. I guess I was zoning out, because all of a sudden, the woman on the phone starts to get my attention.

        "Sir? You there? I'm sorry, I but I am Mulder, and I am not a Ma'am, I am a man. I'm sure you would be able to tell the difference if you listened to... My... Oh my God..." Did that person just say oh my God in the exact tone I say it? Who is this person?!

        "Ma'am- Sorry, Sir, I'm Dana Scully and I was just calling my friend, but I guess I must have entered the wrong number, my mistake," I was just about to hang up when the phone started yelling at me.

        "Scully! Scully, this is you? But, you sound like me! And I sound like you! And, and, I look like you! And... You look like me, right? You don't look like some weird guy and that weird guy looks like me?" Mulder?

        "So this really is the true Mulder, huh?"

        "Yes! Scully, something has happened to the both of us, and I have no idea what it is..."

        "Really, Mulder? You, of all people, have no idea of what happened? Mulder, we've switched bodies! But, how? People can't switch bodies, it's not possible!" 

        "Of course I know what happened, Scully.  I just don't know how it happened.  Look, I think we should meet up.  I'm coming over."  The line goes dead. I look at the phone, questionably, as if what had just went on, went on.  After a few seconds I put the phone down, and go pour some of the coffee I made earlier.  It wasn't long until Mulder got here.

Mulder's POV

        I knew a shortcut to Scully's apartment, she showed it to me one day, and I was going as fast as I could go in the car so I could get there and sort things out.  I was weaving in between cars and lanes just to get there faster.

        I arrived in record time, and immediately got out of the car and ran to where she lived.  As I reached her door, I tried to look calm and collective, so I smoothed out the skirt I was wearing and knocked on the door.

        "It's open!" I hear my voice call from inside.

        I open the door and walk into Scully's kitchen. As I do, I notice all of her lights are off.

        "Scully? Scully, are you there?" I scan the darkness as I call out her name.

        "I'm in the bathroom, Mulder." I walk over there, hesitantly, not sure what to find when I reach the door.

        "Scully?" I knock on the door before I open it, just to give her a warning that I'm coming in. When I enter the bathroom, she's just kind of pacing back and forth. When I'm all the way in the bathroom, we both kind of just stop, and look at each other, or would it be ourselves? 

        "Mulder, what the hell is going on? How did this happen? How can we switch back? How do we go about our normal lives in this situation?" It was weird to see her facial expressions on my face. I had to try really hard not to laugh.

        "Well, Scully, I told you over the phone, or rather you told me, what happened. We switched bodies. How did this happen? I still have no idea, but I believe once we figure out how it did, we can figure out how to change back. And for the time being, I believe we should live each other's lives. So, give me your keys."

        "Mulder, you have my keys. You're in my body, remember?"

        "Oh, right. Sorry, Scully." I said, kind of sheepishly.

        "Well, then. I guess I should go over to your apartment?"

        "That would be ideal, yes.  But since it's Sunday and we have work on Monday, I think we should try and teach each other what we do on a daily basis, out side of work. And since it's almost 2:00, we should get straight to it. Do you want to start, Scully?"

        "Wait, what time is it?!"

        "1:54, why?"

        "Oh no, oh no, oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no! Mulder, I have my godson's birthday at 3:00! Or, rather, you do... How are we going to do this? I can't just go there in your body and help my friend, she doesn't know you, and she certainly won't believe me when I say I switched bodies with my partner."

        "Well, then.  I guess you just have to teach me whatever I need to know so that I'm successful during this party."

        "No, it will take too long, you'll just have to wing it." I scanned Scully's face, well, my face, and noticed that she was stressed out.  If only there was a way she could come with me.

        "Wait, Scully! You can come with me! That way, if something happens that I don't know how to handle it, you can help me!"

        "Mulder, that actually might work. But what do we tell Sarah if she asks what I'm doing there with you?"

        "Who's Sarah?"

        "My godson's mom."

        "Oh, right. And just let me handle what to say. After all, I'm Scully." As I say this, I stand up and put my hands on my waist, like superman.  Scully laughed at that.

        "That's another thing, Mulder. When we're there, I'm Mulder, and you're Scully. Understand, Scully?"

        "Roger, Mulder."

        "Come on, let's go pick out an outfit for you to wear." Scully took me into her room and went into her closet, looking at all of her outfits, trying to find out what I should wear.

        Scully ended up choosing a blue short sleeved tee shirt with a brown vest over it, along with jeans and a pair of black high heels for me to wear. How do you even walk in those?

        I took the clothes she handed me and started to walk to the bathroom when I heard Scully say something.

        "Oh, and Mulder? 3 minutes. That should give you enough time to get dressed. Any longer than that, and I'm going in there to see what's taking you so long.  And you don't want to know what I'll do to you if you take longer than three minutes. Do you understand?"

        The look she gave me was one of her faces, one that told you not to mess with her, but it was hard to take her seriously because it looked abnormal on my face.  I chuckled a little, and her stare only intensified.  I stopped laughing and realized that she was serious.  

        I go into the bathroom and once the door was shut, I hear her click something, along with saying, "Your time starts now."

Scully's POV

        I look at the timer I had in my hand, 2:45, 2:46, 2:47.

        "Mulder, you better hurry up, there's only a few seconds left." 2:52, 2:53

        "OK, OK, I'm done." He opens the door wearing the outfit I chose for him, and it looks good on him, me, whatever.

        "OK. So, are you ready to go, now?"

        "Actually, Scully, I think we should swing by my apartment and get you dressed..." He looks me up and down as he says it, pointing to the spot of his suit where I had apparently drooled on last night.

        We pull into the parking lot near his apartment and get out of the car.  As we enter his apartment, I look at the clock, 2:26. This better not take long. Sarah knows I'm never late.

        Mulder grabs one of his many suits and tosses it my way.

        "Put that on. Oh, and Scully? You get 3 minutes as well."

        "Fine." I walk into his bathroom and start getting dressed.  Once I have the suit pants on, I put on the dress shirt and start with the tie.  I was able to tie it in 5 seconds, probably faster than how Mulder can.  I start walking out of the bathroom door while putting on the suit coat.  I hear Mulder counting on his couch.

        "135, 136, 137, 138"

        "Mulder, I'm ready. Can we go now? Sarah's waiting on me. She knows I'm never late.

        "Sure, we can go now." We head down the elevator and got back into the car, heading to my grandson's birthday party.  

        I insisted on driving, telling Mulder he needs to put some make up on since I never gave him the chance to do so when he was at my apartment.

        "Scully, you know I've never put make up on before." He gave me a helpless look, which looked pretty funny on my face.

        "Ok, I'll tell you what to put on, and where to put it on." I began with some lipstick, luckily, Mulder knew what to do with that. But I started to get worried when I heard Mulder  snickering to himself. What could he be laughing about? What's so funny about putting lipstick on? Oh no, he didn' mess it up, did he? I look over at him, and I honestly did not expect to see what I saw.  There was lipstick from ear to ear.  Almost like the Joker in Batman.  Mulder saw me with my mouth open and began to explain.

        "Oh, uh, Scully, I, uh, I was, I was applying lipstick, and then you went over a bump, and the lipstick went up my right cheek, and I thought, 'Might as well even it out' and so I did the same to the other side, and, well, uh, you know what happened next, so, uh, I guess what I'm saying is, uh, I, uh, I'm sorry?" He looks at me again, with regret in his- or my- eyes.  I was angry at him because I know I'm going to have to stop the car to help clean that off, but I couldn't hold back the laughter. He just looked so funny with his 'scars.'

        "Mulder, you know you're going to have to clean that off, don't you? Or do I have to pull over and help you? Because you are not going to my grandson's birthday party wearing that much lipstick." I look for a place to pull over, waiting for Mulder's response.

        "Um, actually, I do know how to clean this off." I  give him a 'Are you serious?' look, and he just shrugs it off. "The Lone Gunmen had me over for dinner one night, and we played a game that got out of hand, and it ended with me getting make up all over me.  So, naturally, I had to clean it off."

        "Mulder, what sort of game would end with you getting make up all over your face?"

        Instead of a reply, he just kind of stammered. I sighed, and told him what else to put on as we continued on our way.

        We pull into Sarah's parking lot at 2:50.  We get out of the car and head up to the door.  Mulder knocks on the door, and leans down to whisper in my ear, but he realizes that he has to stand on his tippy toes, so he does so.

        "If she asks what you're doing here," He gestures to me, "Let me answer."

        "Uh, sure, I mean, she would probably ask you, since you're me."

        As if on cue, Sarah opened the door and went to hug Mulder.  Mulder hesitated at first, but then put on a smile and hugged her back.

        "Dana! How are you? It's been a while!" Mulder looks at me, and I raise my palm, as a way of saying, 'go ahead.'

        "I'm fine, how are you, Sarah?"

        "Oh, you know, hectic with my son, but fun none the less." She smiles at him, and then notices me kind of milling around next to who she thinks is me.

        "Oh? And who is this, Dana?" Sarah puts her hand out to shake mine, and I grab it and shake her hand.

        "Oh, this is Fox Mulder. He goes by Mulder, though. He's my boyfriend." Mulder looks at me when he says that, with a huge smile across his face, and all I could do to not yell at him was smile back.  Knowing Sarah, she would have thought we were a couple no matter what I, or, Mulder, would say.

        "Oh? Nice to meet you, Mulder. Please, both of you, come in." She gestures into her house, and we step inside.  I make a mental note to kill Mulder after this birthday party.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 116K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
672K 41.2K 105
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
314K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
122K 5.9K 56
(y/n) (l/n) a girl who was born in the modern world who somewhat ends up in the taisho era of demon slayer. Her sassiness and eccentric attitude capt...