The Last Royal (editing)

Oleh psychobaby1199

Elizabeth Mae Tyler: Rose's adoptive sister... what happens when they meet a 900-year-old alien and he takes... Lebih Banyak

*Season 1*
*Prologue*
*Lizzie & Rose*
*The End of the World*
*Connection*
*The Unquiet Dead*
*Aliens of London*
*World War III*
*Dalek*
*Guilt of War*
*The Long Game*
*Father's Day*
*The Empty Child*
*The Doctor Dances*
*Boom Town*
*Bad Wolf*
*Parting of Ways*
*Born Again*
*The Christmas Invasion*
*Season 2*
*New Earth*
*School Reunion*
*Mouse Joins the Crew*
*The Girl in the Fireplace*
*Rise of the Cybermen*
*The Age of Steel*
*Timey-Wimey... Stuff*
*The Idiot's Lantern*
*Birthday Present*
*Blink*
*The Impossible Planet*
*The Satan Pit*
*The Last Royal*
*Fear Her*
*Army of Ghosts*
*Doomsday*
*The Runaway Bride*
*Star and the Doctor*
*Season 3*
*Tyler & Jones*
*The Shakespeare Code*
Not an update... just mind blown
*Gridlock*
*Daleks in Manhattan*
*Evolution of the Daleks*
*The Lazarus Experiment*

*Tooth & Claw*

7.4K 166 85
Oleh psychobaby1199

!EDITED!

A/N: was 10130 words, is now 12210! Enjoy!

The Doctor was taking Rose and me to the 1970s for Rose's birthday and we were in the wardrobe getting ready. I smile, moving over to her with my hands behind my back. "Happy Birthday!" I hold out a little velvet box to Rose.

Rose beams, taking the box and opening it. Inside was a gold chain with a clear glass ball; inside the ball was a tiny rose with little stars floating around it. 

"The stars and rose were frozen and compressed to fit inside the glass and it's indestructible," I explain as she looks at it with slightly wide eyes.

"It's beautiful," Rose breathes out. "Thank you, Lizzie," she pulls me into a tight hug before pulling away and putting it on.

***

Rose and I step into the console room with our arms linked. Rose was wearing a short dungaree skirt, sheer black stockings, black mid-calf boots, and a pink t-shirt with a crown on it. "What do you think?" Rose gets the Doctor's attention and he looks over, taking in our outfits. "With this do?" she asks, taking her arm from mine and doing a little twirl.

"In the late 1970s? You'd be better off in a binbag," the Doctor smirks, making me roll my eyes as I move over to stand beside him. "This revenge for the shoes?" he raises an eyebrow, pulling on the lapels of my trenchcoat.

"Maybe," I smirk up at him, biting my lip to keep from laughing.

"It looks good on you," he smiles, making me blush and he sends me a wink. "Now, hold on, listen to this," he puts a CD into the console and I smile as the song Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick comes on. "Ian Dury and the Blockheads! Number One in 1979!" he grins, moving around the console and bobbing to the beat.

"You're a punk!" Rose laughs, leaning against the railing.

The Doctor winks, singing along, "it's good to be a lunatic!"

"That's what you are! A big old punk!"

"With a bit of rockabilly thrown in!" I giggle.

"Would you girls like to see him?" the Doctor asks, looking between us.

"How do you mean? In concert?" Rose asks, her eyes widening with her mouth hanging open.

I go over and close her mouth, "you'll catch flies, Rosie," I smirk and then run to hide behind the Doctor when she goes to slap me.

"What else is a TARDIS for?" the Doctor scoffs lightly, giving me an amused smile before grabbing my hand and twirling me out. "I can take you to the Battle of Trafalgar," he smirks, twirling me back as I giggle and we dance - bounce, really - around the console with Rose laughing. "The first anti-gravity Olympics... Caesar crossing the Rubicon... or... Ian Dury at the Top Rank, Sheffield, England, Earth, 21st November 1979!" he stops us in front of Rose. "What do you think, Rose? It's your birthday?" he smiles.

Rose smiles between us, "Sheffield it is!" she cheers.

"Hold on tight!" the Doctor smirks, throwing a lever down.

I squeak at the sudden jolt, grabbing onto the Doctor tighter and he laughs, wrapping his arm around my waist. With his free hand, he grabs his hammer and hits the console with it as he shouts, "landing!"

"Stop hitting her," I scold, slapping his hand away and he rolls his eyes as the TARDIS hums in appreciation.

"Stop!" Rose shouts.

The Doctor lands the TARDIS and the three of us go flying backward. I lay back against the grating floor before glancing between Rose and the Doctor and we burst out laughing.

"1979! Hell of a year!" the Doctor stands, giving Rose and me a hand up. "China invades Vietnam!" he pulls me over to the door, grabbing his coat and I help him into it quickly. "The Muppet Movie! Love that film! Margaret Thatcher... ugh..." he makes a face, making Rose and I giggle. "Skylab falls to Earth with a little help from me... nearly took off my thumb!" he tells us as we head out. "I like my thumb! I need my thumb! I'm very attached to..." he trails off as we notice a group of redcoats around us, guns raised. "... my thumb," he finishes lamely as the soldiers cock their guns, the three of us putting our hands up immediately. "1879... same difference," he shrugs.

I roll my eyes with a smile, "we ended up here cause you keep hitting her with that bloody hammer," I whisper and the Doctor sticks his tongue out. "... and it is not the same difference," I shake my head, trying not to laugh.

The Captain - who was on a horse - speaks up with a strong Scottish accent, "you will explain your presence and the nakedness of this girl," he gestures to Rose and I snort quietly when she looks down at her outfit with a frown.

"Are we in Scotland?" the Doctor asks, adopting a Scottish accent and I blink at how good it sounded.

"How can you be ignorant of that?" the Captain frowns, probably thinking the Doctor's an idiot, which... well... he wouldn't exactly be wrong.

"Oh, I'm... I'm dazed and confused," the Doctor shrugs. "I've been chasing this... this wee naked child over hill and over dale," he smiles over at Rose. "Isn't that right, ya... timorous beastie?"

Rose rolls her eyes, "och, aye! I've been oot and aboot!" she attempts an accent and fails miserably.

"No, don't do that," the Doctor shakes his head.

"Hoots mon!" Rose smiles, sending me a wink as I snicker.

"No, really don't," the Doctor winces. "Really," he adds for emphasis.

"Will you identify yourself, sir?" the Captain cuts in. "And this woman?" he gestures to me.

"I'm Doctor James McCrimmon and this wee lass is Nurse Lizzie Tyler! From the Township of Balamory," the Doctor introduces us with a wide grin and I shake my head with a small smile. "Eh... I have my credentials, if I may?" he asks, gesturing to his coat and the Captain nods so we lower our hands.

The Doctor pats down his pockets, searching for the psychic paper. I roll my eyes, reaching over and pulling it from his left inside pocket. "Thank you," he smiles down at me before showing the Captain. "As you can see: a Doctorate from the University of Edinburgh," he shows the soldiers the paper. "I trained under Doctor Bell himself and I trained her myself," he gestures to me.

"Let them approach," a regal English accent calls out.

"I don't think that's wise, ma'am," the Captain eyes us suspiciously.

"Let them approach," the woman repeats firmly.

The Doctor gestures toward the carriage with raised eyebrows. The Captain sighs, "you will approach the carriage and show all due deference," he narrows his eyes.

I nod and the Doctor gives a one-finger salute as the three of us approach the carriage. One of the footmen opens the door to reveal... "Lizzie, Rose... might I introduce Her Majesty, Queen Victoria," the Doctor smiles. "Empress of India and Defender of the Faith."

I stare at the woman in awe, "u-um... Elizabeth Tyler, m-ma'am," I curtsy and the Doctor raises an eyebrow in question. "What?" I mouth.

The Doctor leans down to my ear, "you told her your full name... I thought you didn't like it," he whispers, making a shiver run down my spine at his breath hitting my neck.

"I- I don't... but she's the Queen," I murmur back with slightly red cheeks, making the Doctor smirk to himself as he straightens.

Rose's voice makes me jump slightly, "Rose Tyler, ma'am, and my apologies... for being so naked," she curtsies, chuckling nervously.

"I've had five daughters, it's nothing to me," Queen Victoria waves off. "But you, Doctor, show me these credentials," she orders and he obliges, handing her the psychic paper. "Why didn't you say so immediately?" she asks after a moment of studying it. "It states clearly here that you have been appointed by the Lord Provost as my protector," she looks at the Doctor with slightly wide eyes.

"Does it?" the Doctor asks, taking it back and Rose and I each elbow him in the sides discreetly. "Yes, it does!" he nods quickly, narrowing his eyes between us slightly. "Good! Good, um... then let me ask: why is Your Majesty traveling by road when there's a train all the way to Aberdeen?"

"A tree on the line," Queen Victoria answers simply.

"An accident?" the Doctor raises an eyebrow.

"I am the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, everything around me tends to be planned," she states, sitting up a bit straighter.

"So... it was an assassination attempt, then?" I mutter.

"What, seriously? There's people out to kill ya?" Rose asks with wide eyes.

"I'm quite used to staring down the barrel of a gun," Queen Victoria assures her with a slight smirk.

The Captain cuts in from behind us, "Sir Robert MacLeish lives but ten miles hence, we'll send word ahead," he announces. "He'll shelter us for tonight, then we can reach Balmoral tomorrow."

"This Doctor and his nurse and their... timorous beastie will come with us," the Queen tells him, making the three of us beam.

"Yes, ma'am," the Captain nods. "We'd better get moving, it's almost nightfall," he warns.

"Indeed and there are stories of wolves in these parts; fanciful tales intended to scare children but good for the blood, I think," Queen Victoria smiles. "Drive on!" she orders.

***

The Doctor, Rose, and I were walking behind the Queen's carriage - mine and the Doctor's hands entwined and Rose on my other side with our arms linked. "It's funny, though," Rose tilts her head thoughtfully. "Cause you say 'assassination' and you just think of Kennedy and stuff, not her," she shakes her head.

"1879? She's had, ooo-"

"Six attempts on her life," I smile, making the Doctor look down at me with a pout. "Oh, don't give me that look," I roll my eyes, still smiling.

"You cut me off," he pouts more.

"Aw... poor Time Lord got his thunder stolen," I coo, patting his cheek teasingly and making Rose snort loudly.

"That's just mean," he whines.

"I'm sure you-" I huff when he holds his hand to my mouth, cutting me off.

"There, that's better," the Doctor smirks. "Now, I'll tell you something else: we just met Queen Victoria!"

"I know!" Rose laughs, bouncing excitedly.

"What a laugh!"

I smile, taking the Doctor's hand off my mouth, "she was just sitting there!" I laugh.

"Like a stamp!" the Doctor agrees, taking my hand in his again and intertwining our fingers.

"I want her to say-" Rose puts on a posh accent, holding her chin up. "'We are not amused'!" she smiles, going back to her own Cockney accent. "I bet you five quid I can make her say it," she grins up at the Doctor.

"Well... if I gambled on that, it'd be an abuse of my privileges of traveler in time," the Doctor tells her seriously, making me snort.

"Ten quid?" Rose offers, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Done," the Doctor smirks.

***

We finally get to the house and I squeal under my breath excitedly, bouncing up and down. It was an absolutely gorgeous Victorian-style home with a huge, golden telescope on the top floor. One of the footmen help Queen Victoria out of her carriage and our group approaches the door. A man comes out - Sir Rober, I assume - with a bald servant behind him. "Your Majesty," he comes down the steps, bowing.

"Sir Robert," Queen Victoria nods. "My apologies for the emergency... and how is Lady Isobel?" she asks politely.

"She's... indisposed, I'm afraid," Robert answers with a shaky voice, making me tilt my head curiously. "... she's gone to Edinburgh for the season and she's taken the cook with her, the kitchens are barely stocked," he stumbles over his words slightly. "I wouldn't blame Your Majesty if you wanted to ride on," he tells her almost pointedly and I raise an eyebrow.

A slight pressure on my hand makes me look up at the Doctor and he gives a small nod, letting me know he notices something off as well. I give a small nod back and look back to Sir Robert, eyeing him carefully. Queen Victoria doesn't seem to notice the man's obvious distress, though. "Oh, not all! I've had quite enough carriage exercise and this is..." she trails off, looking up at the home. "Charming, if rustic," she smiles. "It's my first visit to the house, my late husband spoke of it often: the Torchwood Estate," she tells us. "Now, shall we go inside? ... and please excuse the naked girl," she adds with a gesture to Rose.

"... sorry," Rose smiles sheepishly, holding her arm.

"She's a feral child," the Doctor shakes his head and I bite my lip to keep from laughing. "Nurse Lizzie's little sister... poor thing's wild," he sighs 'sadly'. "Lizzie would not dare leave her, so I bought Rose for a sixpence in old London Town," he smiles and I bury my face against his arm, shaking with laughter. "It was either her or the Elephant Man, anyhow, so..." he trails off and I can practically feel his smirk.

"Think he's funny but I'm so not amused," Rose cuts in and I hiss when I feel a pain in my foot as she steps on the Doctor's. "What do you think, ma'am?" she gives the Queen a pointed look.

"It hardly matters," Queen Victoria barely glances at Rose. "Shall we proceed?"

Robert nods and the party begins to head into the house. Rose leans over close to the Doctor and me, "so close," she whispers and the two of us snicker.

Captain Reynolds calls over everyone, "Makerson and Ramsey! You will escort the property, hurry up!" he orders.

"Yes, sir!" the two soldiers nod, going over to the carriage.

One of them takes out a wooden box and carries it into the house very carefully while the other follows. "What's in there, then?" the Doctor asks, perking up a bit as he watches the soldiers and I smile at his curious expression.

"Property of the Crown," Captain Reynolds answers sharply. "You will dismiss any further thoughts, sir," he gives the Doctor a pointed look and the Doctor pulls an exaggerated 'well, then' face at Rose and me, making us giggle quietly. "The rest of you go to the rear of the house! Assume your designated positions!"

"You heard the orders! Positions, sir!"

"Come on," the Doctor nods toward the house, pulling me after him with Rose following.

***

The Doctor, Rose, Queen Victoria, and I were lead to the Observatory by Sir Robert and a few guards. I bounce on the balls of my feet, my fingers twitching at my sides to get a chance to examine the massive telescope.

Queen Victoria looks at it in quiet awe, "this, I take it, is that famous endeavor," she comments.

"All my father's work - built by hand in his final years," Robert explains and I raise an impressed eyebrow. "Became something of an obsession... he spent his money on this rather than caring for the house or himself."

"I wish I'd met him, I like him," the Doctor smiles, his hands in his pockets.

"That thing's beautiful," I gush with a wide grin. "Can I um... please?" I look over at Robert, nodding to the telescope with a hopeful expression.

"Help yourself, Miss Tyler," he smiles with a slight chuckle.

I let out a quiet squeal of excitement and grab the Doctor's arm - who was grinning widely - and drag him over to the telescope. Rose follows behind us, looking at the huge wheel that was beside it. "Wow," I breathe out, running my fingers along the smooth, cold metal.

"What did he model it on?" the Doctor asks curiously.

"I know nothing about it," Robert shakes his head. "To be honest, most of us thought him a little... shall we say 'eccentric'," he smiles, making the Doctor and I share a look as we both snort. "I wish now I'd spent more time with him and listened to his stories..."

The Doctor peers through the lens, "it's a bit rubbish," he frowns and Rose and I share an amused look. "How many prisms has it got? Way too many! Lizzie, look," he grabs my hand, making me give a quiet squeak as I'm yanked in front of him.

I send him a look over my shoulder and he just nods to the telescope insistently. I roll my eyes, looking into the lens, "you're right," I frown. "The magnification's gone off the scales..."

"Course I'm right," the Doctor smirks, leaning his chin on my shoulder. "That's supid kind of a-" he cuts himself off with a slight wince. "Am I being rude again?" he whispers in my ear.

I let out a hum of confirmation, ignoring how his breath hits my ear and neck and elbowing him lightly in the stomach. The Doctor snorts quietly, straightening and turning to the Queen and Robert, "but it's pretty! It's very... pretty," he assures Robert, making me shake my head with a smile.

"Pfft, it's gorgeous," I beam, rocking on my heels. "To build something like this... and with his own hands? It's brilliant!"

"And the imagination of it should be applauded," Queen Victoria sends me a small smile, making me flush shyly.

"Hm... thought you might disapprove, Your Majesty," Rose cuts in. "Stargazing... isn't that bit fanciful? You could easily... not be amused or something... no?" she asks, looking around at everyone.

Queen Victoria gives her a sharp look, "this device surveys the infinite work of God," she retorts.

I poke Rose in the side, "not being very discreet there, Rose," I whisper, trying not to laugh with the Doctor chuckling behind me and Rose rolls her eyes, pushing me back playfully.

"What could be finer?" the Queen goes on. "Sir Robert's father was an example to us all - a polymath, steeped in astronomy and sciences yet equally well-versed in folklore and fairytales."

"A regular renaissance man," I smile.

"Stars and magic," the Doctor grins. "I like him more and more!" he pulls me back over to the telescope.

"This thing's amazing," I whisper, beaming.

"Calm down," the Doctor shakes his head with a smile. "You're going to explode if you get any more excited," he chuckles.

"I can't help it," I protest. "It's so beautiful," I pout, running my hand along it.

"It's a good thing it's too big for you to nick," he smirks.

"Oi, I didn't nick that! I saved it from being buried under cement," I retort, pointing up at him.

"Oh, my late husband enjoyed his company," Queen Victoria's voice brings us back to the conversation and I poke the Doctor's side as he snickers, smiling when he squirms away from me. "Prince Albert himself was acquainted with many rural superstitions - coming as he did from Saxe Coburg-"

The Doctor leans forward, "that's Bavaria," he whispers in my ear and a shiver runs down my spine.

"You are such an arse," I whisper back at his smug expression and he sends me a wink, making my face burn as I bite my lip.

"-when Albert was told about your local wolf, he was transported," Queen Victoria smiles at Robert.

"Excuse me," I cut in, making them look over at me. "But, um... what's this wolf we keep hearing about?" I ask curiously.

Robert seems to clam up a bit, "it's- it's just a story," he shakes his head.

"Then tell it," the Doctor raises an eyebrow, eyeing the man.

Robert glances back at one of his servants uncomfortably and I tilt my head at the action. "It's said that-"

"Excuse me, sir," the servant cuts in, making me furrow my brow. "Perhaps her Majesty's party could repair to their rooms? It's almost dark," he gives Robert a pointed look... almost threatening.

"Of course! Yes, of course!" Robert nods.

The Queen chooses to cut in, "and then supper and... could we find some clothes for the young Miss Tyler? I'm tired of nakedness," she glances at Rose.

"It's not amusing, is it?" Rose asks pointedly and I cover my mouth quickly to cover a laugh, the Doctor snorting loudly behind me.

"Sir Robert, your wife must've left some clothes, see to it," Queen Victoria completely ignores her, making Rose give a slight pout. "We shall dine at seven and talk some more of this wolf; after all... there is a full moon tonight," she smiles ominously.

"So there is, ma'am," Robert bows.

The Doctor takes my hand in his, pulling me from the room as we both snicker at Rose's slightly put out expression. "You're going to lose," I smile up at the Doctor.

"Oh, am I?" he raises an eyebrow.

"Mhm," I nod. "I'm pretty sure Rose is going to annoy the Queen into saying it," I smirk, making him laugh.

"Oi!" Rose slaps my arm, making us both wince. "I'm going to win the bet cause it's my birthday," she smiles smugly, flipping her hair dramatically and sending me a wink when I snort loudly.

"This way, Miss Tyler," one of the servants comes over and waves down the corridor.

"I'm gonna find a dress," Rose smiles. "Try and have a little fun while I'm gone," she sends the Doctor and I a wink, making my face burn and the Doctor coughs awkwardly as he shoves his hands in his pockets. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do!" she calls over her shoulder as she follows the servant.

"I hate her so much," I mutter, folding my arms.

"You don't," the Doctor snorts, reaching over to take my hand back in his and intertwining our fingers.

"You know..." I trail off thoughtfully while he drags me down the corridor, the two of looking around the massive house. "You're much more into the dragging me about now."

"Yes I am!" he smiles, pulling me to his side and wrapping an arm around my waist. "As I told you before: you're small and portable," he smirks. "And you love it," he sends me a wink.

"Never said I didn't!"

"Cheeky," he taps my nose with my free hand, making me wrinkle it with a smile.

"Old man," I tease and he pouts.

"Tiny," he narrows his eyes.

"Rude!" I poke his stomach.

"And not ginger!" he retorts, laughing as he squirms away from me a bit but keeping his arm around me.

"You're impossible," I giggle, shaking my head.

"Not impossible," the Doctor smiles, grabbing my hand and twirling me out. "Just a bit unlikely," he smirks, spinning me back to him.

I giggle, catching myself with my hands on his chest and he smiles, wrapping his arms around me. I shake my head, "what am I going to do with you?" I smile up at him, biting my lip when his hand brushes along my side where my tattoo is - something I've noticed he's done a few times since finding out about it. "You're so different..." I mutter, making his smile falter as I get a pang of hurt. "I'm not saying it's a bad thing," I assure him quickly and his arms tighten around me. "You just seem, I don't know... happier?" my eyebrows furrow. "Maybe less... closed off?" I frown slightly, not really knowing how to put it.

The Doctor's eyes soften and I blush at the smile he gives me as he reaches up and brushes my hair to the side, "I am happier," he leans down, pressing a kiss to the top of my head before laying his cheek on it and squeezing me briefly.

I sigh with a smile, my face burning as I nuzzle his chest and feel his hearts pick up a bit. Someone clearing their throat makes us both jump slightly and we pull apart to see a servant standing behind the Doctor. "My apologies," he puts his hands behind his back. "The Queen has called for you to join them in the dining room for supper," he bows.

"Thanks, lead the way," the Doctor smiles, though I get a very quick pang of annoyance as he shoves his hands in his pockets.

***

In the dining room, I was sitting beside the Doctor with Sir Robert and Captain Reynolds across from us and Queen Victoria at the head of the table. The head servant comes over, "your sister begs an apology, Miss Tyler, her clothing has somewhat delayed her," he tells me.

"Oh... um, thank you," I nod.

"That's alright, save her a wee bit of ham!" the Doctor grins, making me roll my eyes when he sends me a wink.

"The feral child could probably eat it raw," Queen Victoria jokes.

"Very wise, ma'am! Very witty!" Captain Reynolds laugh and I raise an amused eyebrow as his... enthusiastic response.

"Slightly witty, perhaps," Queen Victoria retorts, eyeing the Captain appraisingly. "I know you rarely get the chance to dine with me, Captain, but don't get too excited," she gives a hint of a smile, eyes lighting up with mischief and amusement. "I shall contain my wit in case I do you further injury."

I bite my lip to keep from smiling when Captain Reynolds looks down, his ears burning in embarrassment. "Yes, ma'am... sorry, ma'am," he nods meekly and I feel a bit bad for him.

"Besides, we're all waiting on Sir Robert!" the Doctor cuts in cheerfully, saving the poor man. "Come, sir! You promised us a tale of nightmares," he grins and I smile at the Scottish accent he was still putting on.

"Indeed," Queen Victoria nods. "Since my husband's death, I find myself with more of a taste for supernatural fiction."

"I'm very sorry for you loss, ma'am," I tell her softly.

"You must miss him," the Doctor says gently.

"Very much," the Queen nods curtly before pausing, grief taking over her features. "Oh, completely," she sighs sadly, making my heart ache at the hurt in her voice. "... and that's the charm of a ghost story, isn't it? Not the scares and the chills - that's just for children, but the hope of some contact with the great beyond. We all want some message from that place. It's the Creator's greatest mystery that we are allowed no such consolation; the dead are silent and we must wait..."

I grab the Doctor's hand under the table, giving it a gentle squeeze at the waves of grief and guilt and seeing how tense he is. The Doctor doesn't give any sign of acknowledgment but he turns my hand, intertwining our fingers and squeezing back. I run my thumb across his knuckles soothingly, smiling softly when he glances at me and he relaxes just a bit.

"Come! Begin your tale, Sir Robert!" Queen Victoria smiles, shaking her self out of the somber mood. "There's a chill in the air and the wind is howling in the eaves! Tell us of monsters!"

Robert glances around at all of us, "the story goes back three hundred years," he begins and I lean back in my chair, folding my right leg over the left. "Every full moon, the howling rings through the valley... the next morning, livestock is found ripped apart and... devoured-"

"Tales like this just disguise the work of thieves," Captain Reynolds cuts in. "Steal a sheep and blame a wolf, simple as that," he scoffs.

"Yeah?" I narrow my eyes at the rude interruption. "Or maybe that's a tale that simple-minded men have come up with when they can't fathom or accept the truth," I scoff and he looks at me with wide eyes, offended. "You shouldn't interrupt another's story if you're just going to mock them," I glare.

Queen Victoria looks irritated with the Captain as well and she nods to me approvingly. She gives Captain Reynolds and he looks down sheepishly, looking contrite as he goes quiet. The Doctor leans over to me, "calm down, tiny," he whispers with a slight smirk.

I glance at him, a small smirk of my own forming even as my face heats up, "you love watching me scold someone," I whisper back.

"Never said I didn't," he sends me a discreet wink, making me snort quietly.

Sir Robert clears his throat and I jump slightly, looking over to him. "Thank you, Miss Tyler," he nods to me, a smile pulling at his lips as he looks between the Doctor and me, making me look down with my face burning more. "But sometimes a child goes missing... once in a generation, a boy will vanish from his homestead," he gets back into the story.

"Are there descriptions of the creature?" the Doctor asks curiously, drawing random shapes on the back of my hand.

"Oh yes, Doctor," Robert nods. "Drawings and woodcarvings, and it's not merely a wolf," he shakes his head. "... it's more than that; this is a man who becomes a wolf."

I shudder at the thought; werewolves were always a terrifying concept to me. A man having his body ripped apart and changed into a beast with no control over his mind... killing people and then waking up not knowing what you'd done the next morning. The Doctor doesn't seem to share this view, though, as he leans forward, "a werewolf?" he asks eagerly.

"My father didn't treat it as a story... he said it was fact," Robert sighs. "He even claimed to have communed with the beast, to have learned its purpose... I should have listened," he shakes his head.

I frown when I hear a quiet murmur from behind me. I look and see the head servant staring intently out the window as he mutters under his breath. I couldn't make out what he was saying, so I squeeze the Doctor and nod in the direction of the servant when he glances at me. The Doctor squeezes my hand back, watching the servant carefully.

"His work was hindered... he made enemies," Robert continues, his voice taking on an urgent tone. "There's a Monastery in the Glen of Saint Catherine; the Brethren opposed my father's investigations," he explains.

"Perhaps they thought his work ungodly," Queen Victoria suggests.

"That's what I thought, but now I wonder... what if they had a different reason for wanting the story kept quiet?"

"... what if they turned away from their faith?" I whisper, finally making out what the servant was chanting 'lupus deus et'. "What if they worship the wolf?"

"And what if they were with us right now?" the Doctor mutters as the chanting gets louder and everyone's attention turns to the servant.

"What is the meaning of this?" Queen Victoria gets to her feet.

"Explain yourself, Sir Robert!" Captain Reynolds glares, his pistol out and aimed at Robert.

"What's happening!?" the Queen gasps.

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty, they've got my wife," Robert apologizes.

"Oh, my God!" I gasp, jumping up as my stomach twists in fear. "Rose!"

The Doctor's eyes widen and he turns to the servant, "where's Rose? Where is she!?" he demands, getting no answer. "Sir Robert, come on!" he shouts as he pulls me from the room with Robert running after us.

***
Robert leads the Doctor and me down into the basement to a cellar dor. The Doctor was quick to kick it open and I run inside seeing Rose and a group of people all chained together with manacles. "Where the hell have you two been!?" she glares at the Doctor and me.

A low growl grabs my attention before I can reply and my eyes widen as my heart rate quickens. On the other end of the cellar, was a cage with an actual, proper werewolf inside. It snarls, gripping the bars and pulling on them harshly. The Doctor stares at it in awe from beside me, "oh, that's beautiful," he breathes out, a wide smile forming.

"Get out!" Robert shouts.

The wolf begins to bend the bars of the cage and they snap, sending the top of the cage flying. I squeak, hiding behind the Doctor and gripping the back of his coat as the metal crashes to the floor. The Doctor looks back at the people and Rose, shouting 'out' over and over and they run for the door. "Come on!" Rose shouts, following them out.

"Doctor!" I grab his arm, pulling on it when he just continues to stare at the wolf. "Move!" I scream when the wolf throws the cage at us and I pull the Doctor back quickly, it barely missing us.

"Out!" the Doctor snaps out of it, dragging me from the room and sonicking the door locked.

"You idiot!" I glare at him, yanking my hand out of his grasp and hitting his chest over and over as tears well up. "What the hell were you thinking!?" I demand, my heart beating quickly.

The Doctor grabs my wrists, "stop it, Lizzie, you're hurting yourself," he scolds me and I nearly scream at how calm he sounds.

"I don't care!" I huff, trying to pull my hands away but he tightens his hold. "You moronic, daft old man!" I glare up at him, a tear slipping out. "You almost got yourself killed because you were staring at it!? It is not that bloody beautiful!"

"Hey, shh," the Doctor lets go and wraps his arms around my shoulders, pulling me tight against him. "It's alright, I'm right here," he coos, kissing my temple

"You're so stupid," I sniffle, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"I know," he chuckles softly.

The wolf howls loudly on the other side of the door and I clutch onto the Doctor, squeezing my eyes shut. "Come on," he mutters gently, pulling away and wiping my tears before pulling me down the corridor.

***

The two of us catch up to everyone else in what looks like a storage room? There was a steward passing around rifles to the men and a posh-looking woman talking to Robert - I assume she's Lady Isobel. I don't pay them any mind as I spot Rose and rush over, throwing my arms around her neck. "You alright?" I ask, pulling away and looking her over.

"Fine," she nods.

The Doctor comes over, holding his hand out to her, "give me your hands," he orders and she obliges.

"What is that thing?" Rose asks while she watches the Doctor sonic the manacles off, her voice shaking slightly.

"It could be any form of light modulated species triggered by specific wavelengths," he explains quickly. "Did it say what it wanted?"

"The Queen, the Crown, the throne, you name it," Rose mutters, rubbing her wrists.

There's a loud thumping noise. "Stay here," the Doctor orders us before heading off to have a look.

"Are you ok?" Rose asks.

"I'm going to kill him," I huff, making her snort.

"Oh, that's nice!" the Doctor scoffs as he comes in, rushing over and pulling Rose and me behind the line of men with their guns.

"Well, stop trying to get yourself killed," I glare up at him.

"Can't we do this later?" the Doctor sighs.

"We might be dead later," I shrug, making him groan miserably.

"Fire!" the steward orders, cutting off the Doctor's reply.

The men shoot at the wolf as it comes in the doorway and it stumbles back a few steps. "Fire!" the steward shouts.

I wrap an arm around Rose, holding her close as she flinches from the gunfire. I was a bit surprised that the gunfire didn't affect me as much, though I do get a sharp pain in my temple from it. What really frightened me was the wolf. Once the men stop shooting, the Doctor moves forward, "alright, you men, we should retreat upstairs! Come with me!"

"I'll not retreat," the steward scoffs. "The battle's done! There's no creature on God's Earth that could survive such an assault!"

"Exactly! Earth!" I roll my eyes. "Do you honestly believe that thing came from here?" I ask incredulously. "Those bullets did nothing!"

"I'll not take the word of a woman!" the steward scoffs. "Know your place, miss," he glares.

The Doctor pulls me back by the waist as I jolt forward. "I'm telling you: come upstairs!" he shouts, a wave of anger hitting me.

"And I'm telling you, sir, that I will sleep well tonight with that thing's hide upon my wall," the steward replies coldly before going to check the corridor.

"Please, sir, don't!" I shout, trying to go after him.

The Doctor's arms tighten around me and I bite my lip, watching anxiously as the steward goes out of sight. He comes back into the room a moment later with a smug smile, "must've crawled away to die-" he's cut off by a hairy arm pulling him up into the ceiling.

My eyes widen and I turn in the Doctor's arms, pushing him and Rose to the door. The sound of snarling and flesh being pulled apart from behind us makes my stomach churn and my heart to beat frantically in my chest. "There's nothing we can do!" the Doctor shouts.

I whimper slightly at the sound of the rest of the men being ripped apart by the wolf. The Doctor, Rose, Robert, and I hurry into an adjacent room and the Doctor slams the door behind us, locking it with his sonic. Sir Robert moves over to a set of stairs, calling up, "Your Majesty! You Majesty!"

"Sir Robert!" the Queen calls, hurrying down the stairs. "What happened?" she demands as the Doctor runs off and I groan under my breath; can't he just stay with Rose and me, just once? "I heard such terrible noises," she shudders.

"Your Majesty, we've got to get out," Robert shakes his head. "But what of Father Angelo? Is he still here?" he asks and I frown slightly... was that the bald servant's name?

"Captain Reynolds disposed of him," Queen Victoria answers curtly.

The Doctor comes running back, "the front door's no good, it's been boarded shut," he tells us. "Pardon me, Your Majesty, you'll have to leg it out of a window," he gestures through one of the doors in the corridor.

Queen Victoria walks through with her head held high and the rest of us follow quickly. Robert moves to stand in front of the Queen, "excuse my manners, ma'am, but I shall go first," he offers. "The better to assist Her Majesty's egress."

"A noble sentiment, my Sir Walter Raleigh," she commends.

"Yeah, any chance you could hurry up?" the Doctor asks impatiently.

Robert climbs onto the windowsill, only to immediately dodge gunfire. The Doctor pulls Rose and me down and then moves over to look out the window, his eyes going wide. "I reckon the monkey boys want us to stay inside," he mutters.

"Brilliant," I sigh, folding my arms.

"Do they know who I am!?" the Queen demands.

"Yeah, that's why they want you," Rose nods. "The wolf's line you up for a... a biting..."

"Now, stop this talk!" Queen Victoria snaps. "There can't be an actual wolf!"

The second the words leave her mouth, a loud howl rings through the house. A shudder runs through me, "sorry, ma'am... but you were saying?"

The five of us run from the room quickly and the wolf was beating on the door the Doctor had sonicked locked. "What do we do?" Rose asks shakily.

"We... run!" the Doctor decides.

"Is that it!?"

"You got any silver bullets?" the Doctor retorts, rolling his eyes.

"Not on me, no!"

"There we are, then! We run!" the Doctor huffs, turning to the Queen. "Your Majesty, as a doctor, I recommend a vigorous jog," he jogs on the spot, making me roll my eyes with a small smile despite me being scared. "Good for the health! Come on!" he grabs my hand and we all run up the stairs.

***

Running down the corridors, we nearly run into Captain Reynolds who pops up from around the corner. The five us run behind him and he shoots at the wolf, making it rear back. I lean against the wall, all of us panting and out of breath. Captain Reynolds comes back into the corridor and leans against the wall beside me, "I'll take this position and hold it," he tells us, making my eyes widen. "You keep going, for God's sake! Your Majesty, I went to look for the property - it was taken, the chest was empty."

"I have it, it's safe," Queen Victoria replies, patting her handbag.

"Then remove yourself, ma'am," Captain Reynolds nods. "Doctor, you stand as Her Majesty's Protector and you, Sir Robert, you're a traitor to the crown," he glares, cocking his gun.

"Bullets can't stop it!" the Doctor shouts in exasperation.

"They'll buy you time! Now, run!" Captain Reynolds positions himself at the end of the corridor, his gun aimed and ready.

I place a hand on his shoulder as the others run off, making him look down at me. "I'm sorry... and thank you," I whisper, squeezing his shoulder.

"You had better go, Miss Tyler," Captain Reynolds nods.

I lean up, pressing a kiss to his cheek before running off down the corridor. I stop when I get to the door everyone had run in, turning at the sound of gunshots. Captain Reynolds fires off his gun a few times before the wolf pounces on him. My hand flies to my mouth and tears sting my eyes at the sight of him being torn apart. My face pales at the smell of blood that hits me and the sound of flesh being ripped, bones snapping. I feel arms go around my waist, "Lizzie!" I hear the Doctor's voice in my ear as I'm lifted and set inside.

I'm set into a chair and the image of Captain Reynold's being shredded by the wolf keeps playing in my mind over and over again. I choke out a sob as I wrap my arms around myself. The Doctor shushes me gently before going over to the door and I'm vaguely aware of the fact that we're in a library. "It's stopped..." the Doctor whispers, standing on a chair of what looks like a barricade and pressing his ear against the door. "... it's gone," he mutters.

"Listen," Rose shakes her head and there were footsteps making their way around the room from outside.

The Doctor climbs back down to the floor, "is this the only door?" he whispers.

"Yes," Robert whispers before his eyes widen. "No!" he exclaims, rushing over to another door and he and the Doctor quickly barricade that one as well.

"Shh!" Rose hisses as I just watch blankly and after a few moments, the footsteps get further and further away. "I don't understand," she frowns. "What's stopping it?"

"Something inside this room," the Doctor muses, his eyebrows furrowing. "What is it? Why can't it get in?"

"... I'll tell you what, though," Rose breathes.

"What?" the Doctor frowns, turning to her.

"Werewolf!" she squeals excitedly.

"I know!" the Doctor grins and they throw their arms around each other, the Doctor laughing as he sways them from side to side. "You alright?" he asks, pulling away and looking her over.

"I'm ok, yeah!" Rose smiles up at him.

"Lizzie?" the Doctor turns to me, frowning when he registers my fear and sees my pale face.

I open my mouth to answer, but my stomach churns violently and I put my hand over my mouth. I rush over to a dustbin in the corner, kneeling in front of it. I feel someone hold my hair back as I empty my stomach, my muscles tightening. "It's alright," the Doctor coos, rubbing circles into my back with his free hand.

I whimper quietly, wrapping an arm around my now sore stomach and wiping the sweat from my brow as I sit back on my heels. Rose kneels beside me, frowning, "you ok?" she asks gently.

"I- I th-think so..." I mutter shakily while the Doctor helps me stand, wincing at the acidic taste in my mouth.

The Doctor pulls a water bottle from his pocket, "here you go," he hands it to me.

"Thanks," I breathe, unscrewing the lid and rinsing my mouth out before taking a drink.

"Are you alright?" the Doctor asks worriedly, brushing my sweaty hair from my face and feeling my forehead.

I nod, still feeling a bit shaky as he leads me over to a chair and sits me down before checking me over once more. Rose comes over and sits beside me, wrapping an arm around me and rubbing my back as I lean into her side. Sir Robert eyes me in sympathy from where he and Queen Victoria are sat across the room before sighing and facing the Queen, "I'm sorry, ma'am... it's all my fault, I should've sent you away," he puts his head in his hands.

"They had your wife," I retort, my voice a tiny bit hoarse and he looks over to me. "You'd've done anything to keep her safe - you've nothing to be sorry for, Sir Robert, you were protecting the woman you love," I tell him firmly. "I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same in your position..."

The Queen and Robert just stare at me for a few moments, making me shift in my seat awkwardly. Well... guess that's what I get for opening my mouth. My eyes widen a bit when Queen Victoria speaks up, "Nurse Tyler is absolutely right, Sir Robert," she tells him. "You were doing your duty as a husband and I couldn't ask more of you with Lady Isobel's life on the line," she gives him a small smile.

"... thank you," Robert sends me a faint smile and I blush slightly at all the attention on me... especially since I've just thrown up. "I tried to suggest something was wrong, I... thought you might notice," he sighs, turning back to the Queen. "Did you think there was nothing strange about my household staff?"

The Doctor chooses to cut in, rubbing at his ear, "well... they were bald, athletic, your wife's away... I just thought you were happy," he comments, making me sigh, shaking my head.

"I'll tell you what, though, ma'am," Rose cuts in with a smile and I shake my head at her. "I bet you're not amused now," she goes on, either ignoring or not seeing me.

"Do you think this is funny?" Queen Victoria asks sharply.

"... no, ma'am... I'm sorry," Rose murmurs, looking down in shame.

"What exactly, I pray some please, what exactly is that creature?" the Queen demands.

"You'd call it a werewolf but technically its more of a lupine wavelength haemovariform," the Doctor explains, scratching the back of his head.

"And should I trust you, sir? You who change your voice so easily? What happened to your accent?"

The Doctor's eyes widen slightly and he stumbles over his words, trying to find an excuse. I shake my head when I realize he'd dropped the Scottish accent and gone back to his Estuary one when the werewolf came into play.

The Queen cuts off the Doctor's stuttering sharply, "I'll not have it, no sir! Not you, not that thing - none of it! This is not my world!"

Silence falls over the room and the Doctor starts to search for whatever is causing the wolf to stay out of the library. I sigh, going over to sit beside the Queen and Sir Robert. "I'm sorry about him," I mutter, making the two of them look over to me. "... he doesn't mean to be insensitive or to come off as arrogant, he just... gets carried away sometimes," I try to explain. "But he does know what he's doing and he does care," I assure her.

Queen Victoria sits up a bit straighter, eyeing me, "tell me, Elizabeth: do you trust this... this strange man?"

"I- I trust him so much it scares me," I smile, messing with the tie on my trenchcoat. "It's overwhelming sometimes but I know what he's capable of and I know that he'll try and save as many people as he can," I chew on my bottom lip, looking over to the Doctor on the other side of the room. "He's... he's so brilliant and amazing and just-" I cut myself off, clearing my throat when I see the look the Queen's giving me. "U-um..." I laugh awkwardly, my face red. "Anyway... are you alright, Your Majesty?"

Queen Victoria raises her eyebrows, "I'm quite alright, thank you," she smiles softly.

"And... and you, Sir Robert?"

"Yes, I'm fine," Robert smiles. "Thank you for the concern, Miss Tyler."

"Mistletoe..." the Doctor murmurs suddenly.

"Mistletoe?" I frown, looking over to see him examining a carving of the said plant on one of the doors.

The Doctor hums with a nod, still looking at the door thoughtfully, "Sir Robert, did your father put that there?"

"I don't know, I suppose," he shrugs.

"Look," I tilt my head, standing up and moving to the other door. "There's one on here, too," I run my fingers along the carving.

"A carving wouldn't be enough," the Doctor mutters with a slight frown. "I wonder..." he trails off before licking the door.

"Oh, that's nasty," I wrinkle my nose.

"Hush, tiny," the Doctor waves me off, making me fold my arms with a roll of my eyes. "Viscum album!" he smiles. "The oil of the mistletoe; it's been worked into the wood like a varnish! How clever was your dad?" he turns to Rober. "I love him!" he laughs.

"Mistletoe's really powerful," I explain to everyone's confused expressions. "It's bursting with lectins and viscotoxins..."

"And the wolf's allergic to it?" Rose asks.

"Well... it thinks it is," the Doctor retorts.

My eyes widen as the realization hits me, "the monks!" I gasp.

"That's my girl," the Doctor coos, grabbing my face in his hands and kissing the top of my head, making my cheeks burn and Rose snicker. "The monkey monk monks need a way of controlling the wolf! Maybe they trained it to react against certain things!"

Robert cuts in, "nevertheless, that creature won't give up, Doctor, and we still don't possess an actual weapon," he sighs.

"Oh, your father got all the brains, didn't he?" the Doctor scoffs.

"Being rude again," Rose scolds, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Good! I meant that one," the Doctor grins, making me roll my eyes as he heads over to one of the bookshelves. "You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! Best weapons in the world!" he slips his 'brainy specs' on. "This room's the greatest arsenal we could have - arm yourselves," he throws Rose and I some books.

The Doctor, Rose, Robert, and I get to work on searching the books immediately. The Doctor heads up a rolling ladder, throwing books down to us as he looks through them as well.

"Biology, zoology... there might be something on wolves in here..." Rose murmurs, flipping through her book.

"Hold on, what about this? A book on mistletoe," the Doctor drops it down to me and I look through it quickly, not finding anything and grabbing another.

"Some sort of explosive..." Robert mutters.

"A book on magic," I flip through the book, sighing when I still don't find anything.

"Hm... that's the sort of thing," the Doctor hums.

"Doctor," I call up, finding a little story of something hitting the Earth. "I think I've found something!"

"Ooh?" the Doctor hops down from the ladder and stands over my shoulder. "Look what your old dad found! Something fell to Earth," he tells Robert as he and Rose come to stand on either side of us. "Good job," he smiles, kissing the top of my head and my cheeks burn.

"A spaceship?" Rose asks, looking at the drawing.

"A shooting star," Robert corrects, reading the little passage under the picture. "In the year of our Lord, 1540, under the reign of King James the Fifth, an almighty fire did burn in the pit... that's the Glen of Saint Catherine, just by the Monastery," he tells us.

"But that's over three hundred years ago," Rose points out. "What's it been waiting for?"

"Just a single cell could've survived," I mutter, folding my arms. "Adapting slowly down the generations... getting stronger and stronger..." I muse.

"It survived through the Humans - host after host after host," the Doctor nods.

"But why does it want the throne?" Robert asks.

"Think of all the power it would have," I retort, shuddering slightly at the thought.

"That's what it wants," Rose nods. "It said so: the... the Empire of the Wolf..."

"Imagine it," the Doctor mutters. "The Victorian Age accelerated; starships and missiles fueled by coal and driven by steam, leaving history devastated in its wake," he tells us ominously, making me roll my eyes at his dramatics.

"Sir Robert!" Queen Victoria cuts in, standing. "If I am to die here-"

"Don't say that, Your Majesty!" Robert goes over to her.

"I would destroy myself rather than let that creature infect me," she retorts sharply. "But that's no matter," she shakes her head. "I ask only that you find some place of safekeeping for something far older and far more precious than myself," she opens her handbag.

"Hardly the time to worry about your valuables," the Doctor points out.

"That you for your opinion, but there is nothing more valuable than this," Queen Victoria snaps, taking out a giant diamond and holding it in her hand carefully.

My eyes widen and Rose and I shuffle over to get a closer look. "Is that the Koh-I-Noor?" Rose asks in awe, still hugging a few books to her chest.

"Oh, yes... the greatest diamond in the world," the Doctor smiles.

"Given to me as the spoils of war... perhaps its legend is now coming true," the Queen sighs. "It is said that whoever owns it must surely die," she explains.

"Well, that's true of anything if you own it long enough," the Doctor retorts. "... can I?" he holds his hand out to her.

Queen Victoria eyes him for a moment, glancing at me before handing the diamond over. The Doctor takes it carefully and pushes his glasses down to the end of his nose to look at it more closely. I smile, snorting quietly at how dorky he looks and he narrows his eyes at me playfully.

"That is so beautiful," the Doctor smiles, turning the diamond in his hand.

"How much is that worth?" Rose asks.

"They say the wages of the entire planet for a whole week," I breathe out, admiring the diamond.

"Good job mum's not here," Rose gives a tongue-in-teeth grin.

"She'd be fighting the wolf off with her bare hands for this," I smile.

"And she'd win," the Doctor grins, making Rose and I laugh quietly.

"Where is the wolf? I don't trust this silence," Robert comments, looking around.

The Doctor ignores his concerns, "why do you travel with it?" he asks the Queen.

"My annual pilgrimage," she answers. "I'm taking it to Helier and Carew, the Royal Jewelers at Hazelhead; the stone needs re-cutting."

"Oh, but it's perfect," Rose protests with a slight whine, running her finger along the edge of the diamond.

"My late husband never thought so," Queen Victoria smiles sadly.

"Now, there's a fact," the Doctor smiles. "Prince Albert kept on having the Koh-I-Noor cut down," he explains, slipping off his 'brainy' specs.

"... it used to be forty percent bigger than this but he was never happy," I smile.

"He always said 'the shine was not quite right' but he died with it still unfinished," Queen Victoria smiles softly at the diamond.

"... unfinished..." the Doctor mutters, making my eyes widen. "Oh, yes!" he beams, tossing the diamond to the Queen and I give a small squeak as she struggles to catch it. "There's a lot of unfinished business in this house! His father's research, your husband, ma'am... he came here and sought the perfect diamond... hold on... hold on!" he begins to ruffle his hair, making it stick up even more and at crazy angles as he works it out with me standing to the side with my arms folded, watching with an amused smile.. "All these separate things, they're not separate at all! They're connected! Oh, my head... my head!" he pulls at his hair. "What if..." he turns to us. "This house, it's a trap for you," he looks at the Queen. "Is that right, ma'am?"

"Obviously," she answers shortly.

"At least, that's what the wolf wanted," I put in, turning to the Queen as well. "But, what if there's a trap inside the trap?" I bounce on the balls of my feet.

"Explain yourselves!" Queen Victoria demands.

"Your husband, ma'am, and Sir Robert's father - they sat round telling each other stories but what if that's not all they were doing? "

"What if they dared to imagine all this was true and they planned against it?" the Doctor smiles. "Laying the real trap, not for you but for the wolf...?" he pauses when plaster falls from the ceiling.

I frown, brushing it off his shoulder before looking up. My eyes widen and my heart races at the seeing the wolf - it was standing directly above us on a glass dome, growling. "... th-that wolf there," I breathe out.

The glass of the dome begins to crack. The Doctor shouts 'out', Rose throws her books down on the table, and we all - bar the Queen - rush over to unbarricade the door. "Your Majesty!" Robert calls when we get it unblocked.

I grab Rose's hand and pull her from the room. The Doctor runs out last and slams the door to the library closed, "got to get to the observatory!" he shouts as we run around the corner.

I don't feel Rose's hand in mine anymore and I turn quickly to see her staring at the wolf that was barreling down the hallway, completely transfixed. "Rose!" I scream, rushing forward with the Doctor right behind me.

Just as I get to her, Lady Isobel comes from around the corner and throws a pan of steaming water onto the wolf. The wolf rears back, wailing in pain and running off. I pull Rose back quickly as she screams. The Doctor runs up, checking us both over, "good shot!" he praises Isobel.

"It was mistletoe!" a maid gasps.

I pull Rose into my arms, watching the Doctor rush down the corridor to check if the wolf was coming. "Thank you," I send a small, grateful smile to Lady Isobel. "The next person to almost die from staring at a bloody wolf that's trying to kill us is getting slapped," I murmur, stroking Rose's hair as she laughs quietly.

"Isobel," Robert comes over to us, pulling his wife into a kiss. "Get back downstairs," he tells her when they pull away.

"Keep yourself safe," Isobel retorts firmly.

"You go," Robert nods, pulling her into another soft kiss.

Lady Isobel pulls back and cups his cheek for a moment before leading her maids away. Robert watches her go sadly and I pull away from Rose, placing a hand on his arm to get his attention, "she'll be alright, she's clever and brave," I smile.

Robert nods, sending me a small smile that doesn't reach his eyes. The Doctor runs back at that moment, "come on!"

"The observatory's this way!" Robert leads the way.

***
Getting to the doors to the observatory, the Doctor examines them quickly, "no mistletoe on these doors, your father wanted the wolf to get inside! Get inside," he orders us. "I just need time! Is there a way of barricading this!?"

"Just do your work and I'll defend it," Robert replies, making me turn to him with wide eyes, Rose and Queen Victoria stopping beside me as well.

"If we could bing them shut with rope or something!" the Doctor continues, not having registered what the man said.

"I said I'd find you time, sir," Robert says firmly. "Now, get inside," he orders.

The Doctor stops, looking at Robert for a moment, "good man," he squeezes his shoulder before he, Rose, and the Queen rush inside.

I move over to Robert, "thank you, you're very brave," I tell him, tears prickling my eyes.

"The Doctor is lucky to have a woman such as you so in love with him," Robert smiles, making my face burn.

"Y-yes... well... that's- that's not exactly-" I breathe out a laugh, shaking my head. "U-um... right, I'll uh, tell your wife what you did for us," I promise, reaching up to kiss his cheek.

"Lizzie, in here! Now!" the Doctor shouts, worry hitting me.

"Thank you, Miss Tyler," Robert smiles. "Now go, and tell my wife I love her," he reaches down, squeezing my hand.

I bite my lip, running into the room and Robert closes the doors behind me. "Took you long enough to get in here," the Doctor glares at me, grabbing me by the shoulders and looking me over.

"Sorry..." I mutter, glancing back at the doors with tears still in my eyes.

The Doctor sighs, pressing a kiss to the top of my head before turning to the Queen, "Your Majesty, the diamond," he holds his hand out.

"For what purpose?" she demands.

"Purpose it was designed for," I retort, grabbing Rose's hand and pulling her over to the telescope.

"Girls," the Doctor rushes over, shoving the diamond in his pocket. "Lift it! Come on!" he orders, standing on the other side of the wheel.

"Is this the right time for stargazing?" Rose grinds out, even as the three of us begin to turn the wheel.

"Yes, it is!" the Doctor retorts, glancing up at the telescope that was now rising slowly.

Sir Robert's screams ring through the room a moment later before stopping abruptly. The Doctor, Rose, and I share somber looks, a tear sliding down my cheek. I sniffle as we get back to work a bit quicker. Rose frowns, "you said this thing doesn't work!" she looks between the Doctor and I.

"It doesn't work as a telescope because that's not what it is!" the Doctor retorts. "It's a light chamber!"

"It magnifies the light rays like a weapon! We've just got to power it up!" I explain through gritted teeth.

"But there's no electricity!" Rose protests and the Doctor and I give a look, me nodding up to the ceiling. "Moonlight..." she gasps in realization. "But it needs moonlight! It's made by moonlight!"

"You're seventy percent water but you can still drown!" the Doctor scoffs. "Come on!"

"Come on!" I grind out.

The telescope is finally aligned properly and the three of us step back quickly. Just as the wolf breaks through the doors, the light shines through the telescope but it just hits the floor. The Doctor dives forward and puts the diamond into the stream of light. The diamond turns the light beam to the wolf and it's surrounded by moonlight. The wolf is lifted into the air, glowing brightly. I raise a hand over my eyes, looking up as the wolf takes on the Human form of the man it inhabited. "Make it brighter... let me go," he whispers.

I chew on my bottom lip as I move over to the telescope, turning the knob to amplify the light beam. The light brightens and with one last howl from the wolf form, the creature disappears and the telescope powers down. I breathe out as tears flow down my face and pull Rose into a tight hug, burying my face against her neck as she holds me just as tightly, shaking slightly.

"Your Majesty?" the Doctor asks carefully and I look over to see the Queen staring at her wrist intently. "... did it bite you?"

"No, it's- it's a cut," Queen Victoria replies, stroking the skin of her wrist.

I let go of Rose, eyeing the Queen carefully, "ma'am, if that thing bit you..." I trail off, walking over to her.

"It was a splinter of wood when the door came apart," she shakes her head.

"Let me see," the Doctor orders gently.

"It's nothing!" Queen Victoria snaps, pulling her hand to her chest sharply and glaring at the Doctor.

I raise a disbelieving eyebrow and share a look with the Doctor, but neither of us argues with the monarch.

***

Everyone who survived the night was now in a sitting room downstairs. Lady Isobel was told of what happened to her husband and she was now sobbing in the corner. My heart aches at the woman's grief and I move to sit beside her, "your husband was extremely brave," I get her attention, making her look over at me with red eyes and tear-stained cheeks. "He... he saved our lives and he wanted... he wanted you to know that he loved you," I tell her softly. "I'm so sorry," I take her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

Lady Isobel chokes out a sob, throwing her arms around me. I coo to her softly, rubbing her make as she cries into my shoulder, mourning her love. When she had calmed down, I go to sit between Rose and the Doctor, who were on a settee lounge. The Doctor wraps his arm around my waist, resting his hand where my tattoo is and I snuggle into his side as my eyes water. Rose lays on her side with her head in my lap - red and puffy-eyed - and I run my fingers through her hair.

"You apologized for me earlier," the Doctor mutters, running his thumb up and down my side.

I fight down the shiver that runs down my spine, "someone had to," I retort, my cheeks red. "The both of you were acting like this was all some great adventure... I watched a man literally get ripped apart saving our lives and listened to another," I murmur, making Rose flinch and I get a wave of guilt.

The Doctor sighs, resting his forehead against my temple, "... I'm sorry," he whispers.

"I know, I'm not angry with you," I sigh, still playing with Rose's hair. "You were thinking of the bigger picture and got carried away by the excitement of a werewolf. It's easier for you to act like you don't feel the pain and loss around you, I get it," I assure him and he breathes out slowly, his hand gripping my waist tighter. "... and you were scared and trying to distract yourself and didn't think," I look down at Rose.

"I'm still sorry," the Doctor presses a kiss to my cheek, his lips pulling up into a small smile against my skin when he feels it heat up and I huff slightly when he pulls away, making him chuckle quietly.

Rose doesn't comment and looks up at me, her bottom lip trembling, "me too... I'm sorry," she whispers.

"You're both forgiven," I smile.

I reach down to kiss Rose's forehead and then kiss the Doctor on the cheek shyly. The Doctor beams, making me look away with a smile as my face burns more and he pulls me closer to him, smugness radiating off him. Rose snorts, snuggling into my lap more and giggling when I push her shoulder playfully.

***

In the morning, everyone was gathered around the parlor. Lady Isobel was standing with her maids, her eyes still red. The Doctor, Rose, and I have knelt before Queen Victoria. "By the power invested in me by the Church and the State, I dub thee: Sir Doctor of TARDIS," she taps him on each shoulder with a sword. "By the power invested in me by the Church and the State: I dub thee: Dame Rose of the Powell Estate," she taps Rose on each shoulder. "By the power invested in me by the Church and the State: I dub thee: Dame Elizabeth of the Powell Estate," she taps me on each shoulder. "You may stand," she steps back.

The three of us stand, beaming at each other while I bounce on my toes excitedly. "Many thanks, ma'am," the Doctor grins.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," I curtsy, smiling widely.

"Thanks!" Rose beams. "They're never going to believe this back home!"

"Your Majesty," the Doctor cuts in softly. "You said last night about receiving a message from the great beyond. I think your husband cut that diamond to save your life; he's protecting you even now, ma'am, even from beyond the grave," he smiles.

"Indeed," Queen Victoria nods. "Then you may think on this, also: that I am not amused!" she gives him a sharp look.

"Yes!" Rose gives a quiet squeal of happiness as the Doctor groans miserably, making me give a small smirk.

"Not remotely amused," Queen Victoria snaps and we all school our features quickly. "And henceforth... I banish the both of you," she announces, making my eyes widen as she looks between Rose and the Doctor.

"... I'm sorry?" the Doctor frowns.

"I rewarded you, Sir Doctor, and now you are exiled from this empire, never to return!" the Queen glares. "I don't know what you are - the three of you - or where you're from but I know that you consort with stars and magic and that you and Dame Rose think it fun," she narrows her eyes, making them look down as I get a pang of guilt. "But your world is steeped in terror and blasphemy and death and I will not allow it! You will leave these shores and you will reflect - I hope - on how you managed to stray so far from all that is good and how much longer you will survive this... terrible life," she gives them both one last sharp look before turning to me. "Tread carefully with these two, Dame Elizabeth," she warns me in a softer tone, making my eyes widen further. "I thank you for your words of concern and kindness in the face of last night's events," she nods before walking away.

I stare after her in absolute shock, "well, I- I... w-what?" I shake my head, trying to clear it.

Lady Isobel comes over, making me blink a few times. She smiles softly, "thank you, Dame Elizabeth," she pulls me into a quick hug. "For your comfort last night and for giving me the message from my husband," she pulls away, squeezing my shoulders.

"You're... you're welcome," I mutter faintly as she walks away.

"Everyone just loves you," Rose smiles, coming out of her own shock.

"Course they do," the Doctor scoffs, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "She's 'so brilliant'," he sends me a wink.

I groan under my breath, "you heard everything I said, didn't you?" I bury my face in my hands.

"Oh, yes!" the Doctor laughs.

"Hold on," Rose cuts in. "What did she say?"

"That she trusts me so much it scares her and that I'm brilliant and amazing," the Doctor smirks. "Had to stop talking for a moment cause she went all shy and awkward," he teases, making me nearly cry as my face burns hot.

"Now you've done it," Rose shakes her head. "His ego's big enough without you adding to it," she laughs.

"Oi!" the Doctor pouts.

"... I know," I snort, squirming out from under the Doctor's arm to stand beside Rose. "How the hell does his head even stay on that skinny body?" I ask in mock-wonder, the two of us giggling.

"You two are just being mean now," the Doctor whines.

"Sorry?" we ask, looking up at him with innocent smiles.

"... women," the Doctor grumbles, shoving his hands in his pockets.

***

The Doctor, Rose, and I had gotten a ride to the where the TARDIS is from a farmer. The horse-drawn cart comes to a stop, "woah!" Dougal pulls on the reins.

"Cheers, Dougal!" the Doctor smiles as he hops off, helping Rose and me down as well. "You know," he grabs my hand as we walk, intertwining our fingers. "The funny thing is: Queen Victoria did actually suffer a mutation of the blood!"

"It's historical record," I nod, swinging mine and the Doctor's hands between us. "She was a haemophiliac - it used to be called the Royal Disease!'

"But it's always been a mystery because she didn't inherit it," the Doctor grins. "Her mum didn't have it, her dad didn't have it, it came from nowhere!"

"What... and you're saying that's a wolf bite?" Rose asks, her eyebrow raised skeptically.

"Well, maybe haemophilia is just a Victorian euphemism," the Doctor shrugs.

"For werewolf?"

"Could be!"

"Queen Victoria's a werewolf?"

"Could be! And, her children had the Royal Disease... maybe she gave them a quick nip," he smiles, biting at me playfully and I giggle, pushing his face away.

"So, the Royal Family are werewolves?"

"Well... maybe not yet," the Doctor shakes his head. "I mean, a single wolf cell could take... one hundred years to mature? Might be ready by... ooo.. early 21st century?" he smirks.

"Nah, that's just ridiculous!" Rose shakes her head, laughing. "Mind you... Princess Anne!"

"I'll say no more!"

"... and if you think about it, they're very private," I smile, bouncing slightly. "They plan everything in advance!"

Rose points to me, laughing, "they... they could schedule themselves round the moon, we'd never know!"

The Doctor shakes his head, laughing with us as he unlocks the TARDIS with his free hand and we walk in. "They like hunting!" Rose laughs. "They love blood sports! ... oh, my God, they're werewolves!"

The three of us howl like wolves and then burst out laughing as the Doctor puts us in the vortex

A/N: thanks for reading! Let me know what you think! :*

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

5.4K 466 23
A touch can change everything in a blink of an eye. A word can change the whole life just by saying it. Imagine your thoughts and moves being able to...
9.9K 136 102
ᴇʟʏꜱɪᴀɴ (ᴀᴅᴊ.) • ʙᴇᴀᴜᴛɪꜰᴜʟ ᴏʀ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴠᴇ; ᴅɪᴠɪɴᴇʟʏ ɪɴꜱᴘɪʀᴇᴅ; ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇꜰᴜʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴇʀꜰᴇᴄᴛ • ᴊᴜʟɪᴇᴛ ꜰʀᴇɴᴄʜ ʜᴀᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇʀꜰᴇᴄᴛ ʟɪꜰᴇ. ᴀ ɢɪʀʟꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ, ᴀ ᴊᴏʙ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇʀ...
38.5K 2.2K 27
When a dictator from the future threatens Rose Tyler's Earth, and by extension, threatens the Doctor as well. Will they discover his intentions in t...
61.1K 3.2K 26
"Stuck with you, that's not so bad" "Yeah?" "Yes" Rose and the Doctor are stranded 6 months in the past on Earth with no way of escaping. The only...