Home || Enoch O'Connor

By joyfullyours

Having grown up with someone like Jake Portman, I've grown up preparing for anything. Well, almost. So how... More

P R E F A C E
E P I G R A P H
02 // Cairnholm
03 // The Peculiar Past
04 // Meet The Peculiars
05 // Disastrous Dinner
06 // Enoch
07 // Stuck In The Present
08 // Raising The Dead
09 // Voodoo Dolls
10 // Footprints On The Beach
11 // History
12 // Hollows
13 // Collide
14 // Avengers Assemble
15 // Home
E P I L O G U E
Thank You

01 // Florida

16.4K 359 61
By joyfullyours

I glanced at Jake, worry written all over my face.

He says he's fine, but I've been his best friend and only friend for ten years. I know better.

A few weeks back, Jake had found his grandfather dead, with his eyeballs nowhere to be seen. It must've been such a traumatising experience.

"The police said that it was dogs. He chased them out of the house, but then got a heart attack. And they said..." Jake trailed off, recalling to his therapist, Dr Golan. "They said that when dogs are hungry, they go for the soft parts."

I watched as Jake swallowed, my heart sinking.

×

"Do you believe them?" I asked Jake, lying on his bed, my ankles crossed behind me.

He shrugged, "I guess."

I narrowed my eyes, "You don't."

He kept quiet.

I reached over, snatching the book out of his grasp. I slid the postcard out, before returning the book to Jake.

"So, are you going?" I questioned, showing him the postcard.

He shrugged again, "Sure. Besides, I need to know if all the stories my Grandpa had told me were true."

"Your parents will think it's a horrible idea." I informed him, turning over to lie on my back.

"No, they won't," He argued lightly, sounding as though he was trying to convince himself. "It's a great idea."

×

"Absolutely not." Jake's mom snapped.

Jake opened his mouth to protest, but I beat him to it. "Well, with all due respect, Ma'am, don't you think it'll benefit Jake? I mean, he goes, he sees, he leaves. It'll put his mind at rest with all that's happened." I said, my voice dripping with sarcastic politeness.

I absolutely did not like Jake's parents.

"She has a point," Dr Golan told my parents. "It may be good for Jake."

Jake's mom huffed, "Well, I'm definitely not taking a leave from work to accompany you there."

"Dad can take me," Jake suggested hopefully. "And there'll be many birds there too. Dad can go bird-watching."

"And I'll be going to make sure Jake doesn't fall and die." I said, grinning at Jake.

He rolled his eyes, shoving me lightly.

And just like that, it was settled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 3.9K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
1.3M 56.5K 103
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
893K 20.3K 48
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
227K 6.7K 77
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...