Gifted (The Olympus Brotherho...

By awesomegal15

There is nothing special about Freya Donovan. She's just a normal girl, living a normal life-a college gradua... More

Some Kind of Superhero
Definitely Not a White Castles
I Don't Have Anything Like That
The Way to Earn Someone's Trust is By Kidnapping Them
What is a Gun Going To Do Against a God?
Catch Me, if You Can
Look at Me, Keeping My Clothes on
Brotherly Duty
You Took Your Time
Isn't She Beautiful? Isn't He Handsome?
Did You in Fact Go the Distance?
Somehow
The Most Normal Thing
Riddles and Half Truths
Hello
One Of a Thousand Fates
Obstacle Course
Everything, Everything?
Be Brave, Freya.
Fake
Wager of Battle
Your Next
Fight Day
Your Rules Don't Apply
Whoa
And Alaric Was Right
The Mother of All Rescues
It Was, Low, Slow, and Deep
The Demigods Guide to Life
Torture Does Wonders For The Complexion
It and Abomination
A Zipper, Darkness, and Frozen Feet
Promise? On My Life
Time Travel Or a Memory
So We've Been Exiled...
The Thirst Was Real
Rhythm of Your Heart
Not Such a Good Girl
Eye to Eye
Irondale
Get Up/We Need to Go
Come to Together
A Real Hero
JavaScript Loving Soul
I Am A Book
Bath House/Movie Theater
Goodnight
A Bang and a Wave
Bonded
HUGE Thank You!

Summer Formal

4.8K 228 37
By awesomegal15

Chapter 48

Damon

Not a goddamn thing.

A few days had passed since the bath, and I knew I was driving Bash insane. Bash even convinced Lucas and Callan to help but, we couldn't find anything. Olivia and Charles didn't exist. No birth certificates, no property owned, no children, no death certificate. They just don't exist in any form. I was to the point where I wanted to burn the gray stone library down. Dust collected everywhere as far as the eye could see, spider webs wove loosely around books, dirtied shelves, and stands. Busted lamps hung from weathers, braided wires that were embedded into to cracked ceiling. The ground was littered with dirt, glass, books, and torn pages. The crevices in the wall allowed small amounts lights to filter inside along with thin ropes of ivy. Dust floated lazily, and every step put more of it into the air.

"It shouldn't be this hard, we knew they were in Alabama, in a small town, somewhere in the 60's-"

"And The Sound of Music was playing in theaters. You said you saw Freya there, so why aren't we asking for her help? She could have seen something to help us narrow this down a little bit more." Callan said munching on some Doritos.

Freya was spending more time with Anson. These past few days they've been inseparable. I would be lying to myself if I wasn't jealous of the attention she was giving him. I still didn't have a good feeling about Anson, but he did say he would help us. And as much as I didn't want to believe him, I had to. Maybe, this was her way of keeping him close? Or the beginning of something terribly bad?

"I think we need a break," Bash said exhausted.

"Yes, please." Lucas said looking to the clock. What was he in a hurry for?

"Llluuucccaaaassss!" Freya's voice echoed down the winding stone stairs. Was she wearing heels? As soon as she came into eyesight my breath caught.

"Wow..." I literally had no words for how she looked. Beautiful wasn't enough. Her hair was loosely curled hanging long down her back. Her dark brown makeup made her look even more exotic than normal. And as I stared at her ruby lips, I imagine all the things I wanted to do to them. She wore black and silver wrap maxi dress with sparkling silver threading dancing over black knit. Its shaped spaghetti straps and wrapping triangle bodice with tying sash belt was perfect on her. There was a long slit upper leg that would take nothing to just push aside and-

Gods. What was I, ten? It felt that way.

"Dude! You're not even dressed!" She said walking straight up to Lucas.

"All I need is ten minutes. Plus, we can get there late," Lucas said standing up from the old wooden desk, he stretched and ran past her up the stairs.

"Going somewhere?" I said crossing the room to her. With Lucas, of all people?

"Yeah, there is a dance at Haven and Lucas asked me to go," she was actually excited to go. Like a date? Were they dating?

Her happiness flowed through me, warming my skin like the rays of an early summer sun. She had an inner happiness, one utterly independent of the outside world. She smiled like it burst from within instead of being worn like an obligation in the way others did.

"The summer formal?" Callan asked as he started to put away the book's we had scattered all over the place.

"Yup. What have you guys been up to?" She said surveying our mess.

"Damon had a vision from the Gods. We're trying to decipher it. In fact...." Bash speed walked over to us, "You were there." Bash explained the situation as best as possible.

"You saw it too! I've only been there once, but I know the girl, Olivia? She said something about the town being called Irondale?" Freya said. Why would she keep this to herself?

"So, this town has a name," Callan said turning to Bash, "You know if we use The Brotherhood's database system. This would go a lot quicker."

"Agreed, I'm sick of the dust and dirt. I miss our lab," Bash complained.

"What are you guys trying to figure out? There's nothing you can do to help Charles and Olivia. They're probably dead by now," Freya said.

"It's not about them it's about you two," Bash said pointing to Freya and me. "The Gods rarely reach out to us. It would be foolish to ignore their warning."

"Would we really call it a warning? It's more like a soap opera, I highly doubt two horny, repressed teenagers have anything important to say about us," Freya stated.

"Bash is right, something bigger is at play here. We just need to figure out what," Callan said. I agree with both of them. Freya may not feel a sense of urgency, but I had a bad feeling about this. The Gods were trying to send us a message, I just had to decode it.

"I can take you guys back to Haven," Freya suggested.

"Aren't you banned until you break your bond?" Callan said.

"Daughter of Ares, God-Killer, can control all the elements-"

"Okay showoff, but you still should follow the rules," I said

"And you should break them more often," she said with a grin. No. I thought.

Yes, do you really think we're going to save the world by playing by the rules. Because, I highly doubt, Erebus and Nyx will. She said back to me.

What we talkin' about? Alaric added.

Breaking the rules. Freya simply stated.

I knew you had a rebel's soul. Don't even try to convince Wonder Bread there's anything outside the rules. He'll short circuit. Alaric said being his normal ass of himself.

Be nice. Freya said trying to keep the peace between us.

You ready, yet? It's bad enough Cecilia wants to go, but the fucking waiting. Alaric complained.

Yes, I am. It's Lucas that's taking forever. Freya said.

You're going to the dance? It's for the students.

The lay population and The Brotherhood don't mix. They have their summer formal and we had a Ball in August that no one goes to.

See, he can't compute. Alaric laughed.

Fuck you. I shot back. I turn my attention back to Bash and Callan, "I'll take you, just let me know when you're ready to leave."

"Is that wise? If The Elders find out-" Bash cautioned.

"They won't, and besides maybe we could find a way to bring this castle into the 21st century." We desperately need electricity and internet.

"Ready!" Lucas shouted down the stairs.

"Let me know if I can help," she said racing up the stairs.

I teleported to the top of the stairs startling Lucas. "Hera be blessed!"

I looked Lucas up and down trying to figure out what made him so special. All I saw was average. He wasn't particularly handsome, tall, brave or anything spectacular. Lucas was normal. "I didn't know people actually went to the dance," I said.

"Uummm everyone on campus goes to the summer formal," he said confused. He wore black business pants and a white long sleeve button down shirt with a black tie.

If anything, he was below average and awkward in every way. I exhaled hard, trying to calm myself down. I was just bitter that he was going to spend the entire evening with Freya. Or maybe it was our bond. The tight smile I had plastered on my face I knew it wasn't. This was me, a hundred percent jealous of Lucas.

"Let's do this!" Freya said coming up the stairs enthusiastically.

"Made you this," he held out a white sparkling origami corsage flower. Pfr whatever. That's not even impressive!

"Aaawww, that's so sweet! I didn't even think to get-" Lucas quickly stretched out the wristband and put it on her. What. The. Fuck.

"I was just bored one night, and I figured why not?" Lucas said. Freya grabbed his hand and then made their way down the hallway. Leaving me speechless. Is that truly all it took? Maybe Charles had the right idea? I followed them down into the living room.

"Okay, now show me some Miley Cyrus tongue, own it people! I want everyone to pull Naomi Campbell. Now Vogue pose!" I walked into the living room to find Anson taking pictures of Freya, Lucas and Leo on the couch.

"What is going on?" I said walking up to Anson.

"Art?" He said like I was the dumbest person on Earth. He took another picture on his phone. "Can you move? You're ruining the light."

I started to move back only to go back exactly where I was at before, "Leo what are you doing?"

"Going to the dance?" Is there anyone that's not going to this thing? Leo wore dark grey pants, with black business shoes, a tan leather belt, a white and navy blue checkered long sleeve shirt that he had rolled up to his elbows.

"Why?" When did this become the event of the season?

"LET'S GO!" Alaric said coming into the living room with Cecilia on his arm. I never seen Alaric clean up before. He was in a black fitted suit and Cecilia was in a silk red, knee high, cap-sleeved, bateau-neck dress with an open v-back. She had loose beach waves in her hair. Did I miss something?

"Where's Milo?" Cecilia asked.

"Taking a shower," Leo said.

"Anson are you sure you don't want to come? We could curl your hair and find a big enough dress. No one would ever know it was you," Freya said standing up going over to his side to look at the pictures on his phone. He gave her a look that said are you out of your mind. Was she out of her mind? There was no way in hell we were going to let Anson come to Haven.

"I have a show tonight. Have fun at your little dance," Anson said completely disinterested.

"If they play Anaconda I'll think of you," Freya said with a huge smile. What?

He laughed and said, "If I hear Anaconda I'll think of me too." They fell into quiet conversation.

Milo entered the room wearing a forest green a short sleeve button-down dress shirt and black business pants, "We good?"

"I'm sorry, but what is going on? No one goes to the dances," I stated.

"Where have you been? That is all they've been talking about for the past four days," Leo said pointing to Freya and Cecilia.

"And it's not like we're doing anything here. We might as well have a little fun," Milo said.

"We should be training and trying to figure out as much as possible about Erebus and Nyx. Lives are at stake-"

Alaric cut me off, "Ssshhhhhhh! Nobody asked you for permission we're going!"

"Damon you can come too," Freya said.

"No, we should all be focused on-" I exhaled hard letting my fire element engulf me. Did Anson just teleport me to the middle of Antarctica?

Alaric

Yes he did, bitch! I laughed.

"Maybe, we aren't so different after all?" I said liking Anson a little bit more.

"Bring him back," Freya said not amused. I was fighting back tears.

"Just as soon as I get a picture of you and Cecilia together," Anson said.

"I'm serious someone go get him," she said.

"I'm on it," Leo said standing up and disappearing.

"Happy? Now you and Cecilia in front of the fireplace" Cecilia and Freya took their picture. Freya looked over to Cecilia and for half a second, I could swear I felt ... bitterness? It was like falling into a deep crack. That couldn't be Freya. Damon and I could understand. But Freya and Cecilia are friends.

Leo came back with Damon. I could tell he wanted to say something but decided to walk away. Good. He doesn't need to be a sour puss.

I've been looking forward to this day since Cecilia said she wanted to go. This was our night. And Damon wasn't going to fucking ruin it. We all didn't stay up until midnight just so that we could lose six hours going back to Maine.

"Ready?" Cecilia said coming back to my side.

"Yup," I said with a happy grin.

Seconds later we were standing outside of the gym in the back part of campus. We walked inside the huge gym, to find no-one could see the dance floor, it was wall to wall people dancing to club music. Neon lights flashed everywhere like colorful police sirens. The walls were covered with streamers. The music was so loud that it made my skin tingle and my lungs feel like mush. The bass thumped in time with my heartbeat as though they were one, filling me from head to toe with music.

It didn't take long for Freya and Leo to make their way to the center of the dance floor. "Do you want to dance?" I had to yell so Cecilia could hear me.

"WHAT?" She yelled back.

"What?!" I couldn't hear a word she said. She pointed to a nearby photo booth, "Gotcha!"

We headed over to the photo booth, I turned around to see Milo and Lucas heading toward a makeshift mini bar. We stood in line and got our pictures print it out. It was impossible to have a conversation in here. And Cecilia wasn't interested in dancing or drinking.

I yelled, "Want to get some air?"

"What?"

"Air!" I shouted.

"Scared of what!?" She yelled back. Oh, fuck it! I grabbed her hand and led her back outside. Better. "What were you saying?" Cecilia said.

"Air?" I said finally able to hear her. She nodded. Shit, I didn't think this through. What was I supposed to say?

"Dances have drastically changed. I wasn't expecting...that," Cecilia said. I guess they would have from the 30's till now.

"Yeah," I said

"It's a lot more butt centric," she said.

"More bump and grind," I said is we started to walk aimlessly around campus.

"My mother was horrified when she saw me Shag dancing. I think she would have died if she saw what was happening in there," Cecilia laughed. But I could hear sadness in her voice.

"This is a stupid question, but do you miss your mother?"

"Yes, we weren't particularly close. My father and I were. But my mother was still my mother. I regret we wasted a lot of time fighting. And now it's too late to reconcile," She said.

"It's never too late. Even if it's just you standing above her grave saying I'm sorry. It's better than nothing," I suggested.

"I don't think I'm ready to see that. Not yet," she shivered. It was a hot night and I knew it had to be the idea of her mother that sent a chill through her body. I still took off my jacket and gave it to her. I can be a gentleman sometimes.

"Thank you," she said putting the coat on. We walked a little further until she broke her silence by asking, "What about your parents?"

"Don't know them," I said.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"Don't be." My dad left my mom shortly after I was born. And my mom never wanted me. When a scout found me, it didn't take much for my mother to let go. She hasn't once tried to reach out to me, and since the day I walked out of the house I haven't thought about her. But it was easier for me to say I don't know them. I wasn't lying because in reality, I really didn't. Childhood was just a chapter in my life I'd rather keep shut.

We walked until Cecilia's feet started to hurt. We sat by the giant water fountain in the center of campus. It was modeled after the Friendship Fountain in Russia. But, instead of having sixteen golden plated former republics of the USSR. The Elders had Zeus, Poseidon and Hades standing proudly guarding the school. Maybe not the best spot to sit.

Cecilia stared up at the gold-plated Poseidon, "Five hundred years doesn't seem like a lot."

"No doesn't. But we can't forget Tartarus isn't exactly a picnic. The Titans are still down there, and I'm sure they have a bone to pick with the Gods of Olympus.

"I'm kind of surprised the Gods took any actions against Poseidon," Cecilia said. I was more surprised about Ares showing up trying to take Cecilia away. I never expected the God of War to ask for consent. But, hey it was 2018 after all. She had the opportunity to live in one of the Gods Realms and she turned him down. I just hope she didn't come to regret that decision. Whatever Hercules did to make me see a possible future. I was going to make sure it didn't happen. If anyone had to die it shouldn't be Cecilia or the kids.

Cecilia and I spent the better part of the night just sitting and talking. It was nice just being around each other. Cecilia has a naturally calming presence about her. One I wouldn't mind being around for the rest of my life.

Freya

I danced and sang to every song. Sweat covered my body and I didn't care it was 101 degrees in here. There was something electric flying about being in a crowded room full of people just wanting to have a good time. It didn't matter if you couldn't dance, couldn't sing, or had no beat, everyone was on the dance floor like it was the end of the world.

Leo was the only one that wanted to dance. I tried to get Milo and Lucas on to the dance floor, but they were content watching from the sidelines. I had no idea where Cecilia and Alaric snuck off to. But at least he got his date. Leo and I danced so much we had a small circle around us watching and cheering us on.

Who didn't like Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon? Like the title said, we did just that. Someone finally took our spots in the middle of the circle and I leaned over to yell into Leo's ear, "Bathroom!"

He gave me a thumbs up. I successfully made it out of the gymnasium and into the bathroom. Since there was only maybe fifteen girls here there was no wait. I was about to head back to the gym when I saw a deer standing in the middle of the empty hallway. Oh great.

Either I'm high as hell or this deer has some wise wisdom to give me. I teleported back to my room to get Athena's book. When I came back the deer was still standing in place. Staring at me, "After you."

I said waiting for it to lead the way. I kicked off my heels and started to follow after the deer. I was almost expecting it to start talking, thankfully it didn't. I followed behind the deer and opened Athena's book and asked, "Which of the God's has a deer as their symbol?" The book started to turn itself quickly and landed on a page that read:

Artemis the Goddess of the Hunt, the Moon and Archery

Artemis is the most respected of all the Gods, next only to her father Zeus. Her mother is Leto, and she is the twin sister of Apollo. Artemis spends most of her time roaming the forest with her nymphs. Artemis has guarded at her virginity carefully. Anyone that has tried to dishonor her has met a violent end. She has become known as the Virgin Huntress.

Okay, because I needed to know that last part.

Much like her father, Artemis acts out in rage when her wishes are disobeyed: especially when someone is aggressive towards animals that are sacred to her like bears, stags, and dogs.

Awesome. We can both bond over how we both can't get laid and our love of dogs.

I followed the deer into the nearby woods. The bare branches spiked into the sky - no sign of life could be found anywhere. It was so dark I was barely able to see where I was going. There were only small sounds of rustling bushes and the howl of the wind.

Nope! Fuck this shit, I'm out!

I quickly turned around heading back into the populated part of campus. Only to have the deer turn around and nudge my back. "No, this is how people get murdered and kidnapped." I said turning around to face the deer.

She nudged me again this time biting my dress and pulling me forward. Help! The deer's trying to peer pressure me into the woods at night. I said trying to call out to the others. Nothing.

I didn't want to hit the deer, but I also didn't want to go into the woods. Maybe, Artemis is truly trying to show me something. Something useful. A member! Softening my voice, I looked down into the deer's eyes, "Are you going to show me someone that's supposed to be on my dream team?" The deer let go of my dress and moved its head up and down, "You can understand English?" She nodded his head yes.

Years of horror movies told me don't do it. Don't go into the woods. But I was actually curious to see who the other member was. I can be brave and strong. I don't need Alaric or Damon. I am strong alone!

"Okay, keep going," I said watching the lights of campus slowly fade away. Stepping into the forest was disorientating. Even the soft rustle of the branches felt heavy in my ears. The blackness nurtured a sense of claustrophobia inside me even though the woodland stretched unbroken for miles. The narrow path, which was uneven by the knotted roots made our walk slow and strenuous.

The deer stopped at the edge of the forest. I could hear the ocean nearby beating against the rocks. I could smell the saltiness in the air. My heart jumped as panic set in.

I am stronger than the ocean. Poseidon can't hurt me, I'm on land. I'm fine. I repeated that little mantra to myself as I walked out of the forest and stood by the cliff side. The waves came crashing into the cliff violently. Their foam crests becoming chaotic lace over the blue. The waves rolled in, each of them as strong and bold as the last. They came without fear crashing on the rocks below. I turned back around to my deer guide only to find that I was alone.

Of course, I was. I looked back out to the sea. What was I missing?

I put my book and shoes down and called up my air element. I used it to float down closer to the water. Staying close to the cliffside I tried to look into the black water. The further out I went into the ocean the more I started to hear... humming?

It was beautiful yet creepy at the same time. There was no one out on the water tonight. I started to float back to the cliffside when I saw a hand shoot out from the water desperately trying to cling to one of the nearby rock. Shit!

Someone was drowning! I quickly floated over to the rock trying to pull the man out. Was he stuck?

A giant wave crashed down on us. If I was going to save him, I was going to have to go underwater. And I had to do it now.

"HELP! SOMEONE HELP US!" I shouted. No. God no. I didn't have time to think, I had to do something, or he would drown. Taking a deep breath, I dove down into the water. Crashing into something scaly. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!

A half fish, half woman was pulling the man under water. Mermaids are real too!

She turned her attention to me swimming at me like a torpedo digging her claws deep into my shoulders. Her teeth were fang-like and her eyes were completely black. She started to drag me down. I fought back head-butting her off guard. I called up my water element trying to push her away from me. It didn't work for long and she started to lunge for me again.

I'm not going to beat her underwater. I called up my air element and used it to propel me faster out of the water. I tried to teleport away only to have the spots where she dug her nails into me electrocute my body. I swam as hard and fast as I could fighting the urge to breathe in the water. I was so close to the surface.

Just a little more. As soon as my head popped out of the water I was being dragged back down. This time the mermaid had me in a bear hug and she used her sharp fangs to bite into my neck.

I struggled under her crushing weight. I did everything to get free, but it didn't matter, she wasn't going to let go. I looked up to the surface watching bubbles spew out of my mouth and go floating away.

I heard a cracking sound reverberate threw out my mind like a light bulb in thrown on the ground. The harder the mermaid bit into me the more I felt broken and weak. I was broken, shattered really. My heart was beating so hard but without a purpose, my skin stretched across my aching muscles like a worn canvas. My mind was like a lost man in the desert, desperate and starving for some reason to live...to try.

I felt more biting on my thigh and arms. Each bite was sealing me to my faith. I closed my eyes, no longer having the strength to hold my breath.

My heartbeat echoed in my ears as, a grim reminder of my own mortality. It beat so loudly that it seemed to want to escape my chest.

Duh-duhn, duh-duhn, duh-duhn, duh-duhn.

Just as I was about to breathe in the water, I heard a battle cry yell, "Fight!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.1K 2.2K 28
"Stop moving you idiot" I exclaimed loudly "i'm trying to get the tone right and you're screwing up the shadows!" ----- Freya didn't care about b...
125K 8.3K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
13.3K 724 96
ARDEN SERIES : BOOK 2 & 3 Paranormal Romance Arden. The daughter of Athena. I have heard so much about you and everything you have done. Everyone say...