From Sea to Sky

By anisa__angel

~A Wattpad featured and Wattys Longlisted story~ Lana can hardly remember what it's like to be free. After ni... More

i n t r o d u c t i o n
c h a r a c t e r s
p r o l o g u e
o n e | l a n a
t w o | s k y e
t h r e e | l a n a
f o u r | s k y e
f i v e | l a n a
s i x | s k y e
s e v e n | l a n a
e i g h t | s k y e
n i n e | l a n a
t e n | s k y e
e l e v e n | l a n a
t w e l v e | s k y e
t h i r t e e n | l a n a
f o u r t e e n | s k y e
f i f t e e n | l a n a
s i x t e e n | s k y e
s e v e n t e e n | l a n a
e i g h t e e n | s k y e
n i n e t e e n | l a n a
t w e n t y | s k y e
t w e n t y - o n e | l a n a
t w e n t y - t w o | s k y e
t w e n t y - t h r e e | l an a
t w e n t y - f o u r | s k y e
t w e n t y - f i v e | l a n a
t w e n t y - s i x | s k y e
t w e n t y - s e v e n | l a n a
t w e n t y - n i n e | l a n a
t h i r t y | s k y e
t h i r t y - o n e | l a n a
t h i r t y - t w o | s k y e
t h i r t y - t h r e e | l a n a
t h i r t y - f o u r | s k y e
t h i r t y - f i v e | l a n a
e p i l o g u e
a f t e r w o r d
2 0 0 k b o n u s
b o n u s 2

t w e n t y - e i g h t | s k y e

5K 326 80
By anisa__angel

t w e n t y - e i g ht | s k y e

Only a few moments after Arlo tells them about the second prophecy, Skye finds himself beside Firedust, strapping on his saddle and preparing us for a long return journey to Halsa. They all quickly made the decision to retrieve the prophecy as soon as possible. If this could win the war against the Morai, it doesn't matter how many thousands of miles they had to fly. The only thing that matters is finding it, and using it to their advantage.

Bryan stands nearby, a troubled expression on his face as he roughly packs. His eyes flash in a mixture of anger and anxiety, and his features are stuck in a deep frown as he straps on Whiplash's saddle. Whiplash looks agitated by his Rider's sullen attitude, and occasionally nudges Bryan, who responds to none of his dragons attempts.

Skye pauses in his movement, wanting to get back to the Depingur Historia as fast as possible, but also feeling concerned. Firedust seems equally as curious and glances at him expectantly. He has to say something.

"Don't ask." Bryan snaps suddenly, and Skye frowns.

"I didn't even say anything."

He sighs, "You were about to. I could sense it."

"Right." he says slowly, weighing his options about asking him, then sighs. "So what's bothering you?"

Bryan glances up, meeting his gaze briefly before returning to the spot on the dirt that he had been watching so attentively. He shifts his stance uneasily, clenches his jaw in a mixture of uncertainty and irritation.

Bryan refuses his gaze for a moment longer then bursts out, "It's Raz."

"Raz? Is it about him being convicted as the spy or-"

"No!" Bryan exclaims quickly then takes a deep breath. "Okay, yes it is. Do you know what it's like to have someone barge into your life and just make you realize that until that point, you hadn't been breathing? Hell, until that point, you hadn't even been living!"

At first he's a little taken back by his sudden ferocity. Up to this point, he'd been calm and collected. Then Skye thinks of Lana.

He thinks of the way she smiles and of how the whole world glows a bit brighter when she does. He thinks of sometimes when he's around her, he feels as if his heart is going to beat out of his chest. Everything seems sharper, louder, and more vivid around her. And when she kissed him...

Skye freely admits that it was the strangest and most beautiful sensation he's ever experienced.

"I know what it's like."

Bryan looks at him, agony written across his features. "Then imagine what it feels like to have that ripped away from you, because that's what I feel like now. I know in my heart that there's no way he could be the spy but with what Lana said that he is able to be controlled by Vyanna...it's as if everything I've ever felt with Raz could have been a lie."

Skye tries to take a step towards him, reaching for him. "Bryan-"

"No! Listen to me, Skye!" Bryan jerks away from me, a wild glint in his eyes. "If Raz truly is the spy, then he would have been told to get close to someone romantically. It makes sense, doesn't it? He would've gotten information from me, and I would have told him eagerly! I did!"

"Bryan," he bit his lip. "I know he isn't the spy."

He freezes. "You...what?"

"I was suspicious at first." he admitted, "But that's it. He saved Lana's life and has helped us time and time again. Also, the way he seemed happy around you seems genuine. I just don't think it was all fake."

Some of Bryan's anger has faded, but a distressed look is still evident in his features. "So...what are we going to do now? When we get back, should we go to the council?"

"I think-"

"You boys ready to go?" Arlo appears beside them suddenly, startling them both.

Bryan turns away, effectively hiding his vulnerable expression, and straps Whiplash's saddle shut, "I'm ready."

Skye nods in agreement, unable to find words around his uncle yet. He's forgiven him for everything he's done but...he can't get that moment out of his head. That moment where he hurt him, almost killing him, and hardly seemed to care. Nor can he simply forget that feeling of betrayal. He wants to move past that and see Arlo in the same fatherly image as before, but what he did while he was under Vyanna's control...well, it's almost the same thing as his father being controlled by alcohol. They both hurt him in the end.

Arlo looks towards him, his expression softening visibly, "Skye, can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Sure." he says quietly and together they start to move away from Bryan, Whiplash, and Firedust. Firedust gives him a knowing glance before he goes, and gives him a reassuring nuzzle on the arm as he walks past. He smiles softly, and rubs his scales affectionately. Then, they go.

Somehow, they make their way from the outskirts of Lyon to a deserted dirt path near the edge of the cliffs. It's in the middle of the night, and on his right, the glow from the festivities light up the night skies with a gentle warm glow. On his left, the moon tries to conquer this pleasant light with it's own cold blue aura. It's a wondrous clash of colors that holds his attention for a long time as he searches for reasons to not say a word.

How could he tell his own uncle that he doesn't trust him anymore?

"Skye," Arlo begins softly and when he glance over, he can tell he's equally as nervous, "I know I've already said I'm sorry but-"

"Look, Arlo, you don't need to apologize." he says abruptly.

"I do. What I did..." he runs his hand through his hair, a distressed look on his face, then sighs. They're silent for a long moment, both of them looking up at the night sky, uncertain what to say next.

Arlo breaks the silence. "When you were younger, your father used to treat you like royalty. You could have whatever you wanted, if only you asked. I was so proud of him, and I could tell he was a proud father. Then, when you were around seven years old I was out on a mission. Your father was so busy caring for you, and initially the mission was intended for him." A nostalgic look appears on his features and he chuckles slightly. "He argued with the council about it for the longest time, but because of the importance of warring islands, they insisted that someone of royal blood went to settle it. It would have been agony to leave you, so I went in his stead."

The small smile on his face fades, and a darkness creeps over his features, "When I returned after several months of being gone, everything had changed. Your mother had been killed by the dragon hunters and my brother was someone I no longer recognized. It was then I saw the first bruises on your body."

Skye felt slightly choked up at that revelation. He hardly remembered the time where his father hadn't beaten him, or treated him like he was nothing. It almost seems like a fairy tale, to have his father truly care for him. He tries to picture his father smiling down at him, maybe even giving a compliment.

He can't.

Arlo continues before he can think too much about it. "It was then that I promised to take care of you. If my brother couldn't see past the death of Carena, then I would have to step in as the role of your father. And I have...until now."

"But it wasn't your fault!" Skye protests, unable to keep silent any longer. "Vyanna made you do those things!"

"Yes, but I could've fought back." Arlo says seriously then surprisingly, he chuckles softly, looking up at Skye with a proud glint in his eyes. "That girl, Lana, is a real fighter. She was able to break through Vyanna's magic, and was the only reason we escaped captivity. I'm glad you two found each other."

He smiles at the comment but before he can reply, Arlo's expression hardens again and he sighs. "Look, Skye, I see you as my own son and hurting you the way I did...I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself. I vowed to protect you and hopefully, be a better father than my brother. I failed. I'm sorry."

"You didn't fail." he tells him fiercely, "Arlo, you're the best father I could've asked for."

He smiles softly and gently pulls Skye into a hug, holding him and is surprised to hear him cry softly. It's the first time Skye's ever been around Arlo like this, and for a second it startles him. But he feels just as emotional.

Skye knows he won't ever forget what happened on Halsa, and he also knows that it's going to take some time to rebuild the trust he once had with Arlo. But now he knows that he's willing to take time to rebuild that. He's always taken the time with Skye. He was there with him for the countless hours of teaching him how to wield a sword, and patiently showed him how to summon his magic. He was there through all the bullies, missions, and every bruise or broken bone.

Skye's not going to give up on him after all that. Arlo is his true father, and nothing could ever change that.

He pulls away after a moment of silence, wiping away several tears that had fallen onto his cheeks. "My dragon was..."

"You can ride with me and Firedust," Skye offers quickly, having heard about the incident and seen the painful mark on his uncle's shoulder. "He can be grumpy, but I'm sure he'll be alright."

"You read my mind." Arlo laughs, throwing his arm around Skye's shoulder as they walk back to the dragons, "On the way, you can fill me in on all that's happened while I was away. It must've been quite an adventure."

Skye thinks back on it, both bad and good, and nods. "That it was."

After several hours of flying, the ancient light of the Depingur Historia finally is able to shine all around them, showing the beautiful depictions of battles long ago. They all stand at the entrance of the cavern, and while they stare around in awe, their dragons push past them to the open rocky expanse. Firedust lets out a big toothy yawn from the long flight, before settling down on a makeshift bed of rock, his eyes barely open as he gazes at his surroundings lazily.

Whiplash and Ellerin's dragon quickly follow Firedust's lead, but instead of remaining awake, they both quickly fall asleep. Bryan and Ellerin chuckle slightly at their dragons, before making their way towards the center of the cavern, looking around with a sort of eager fascination. Their eyes feast on every picture along the walls as if they're searching for it's secrets, hoping to find the location of the prophecy.

Skye watches his dragon fondly before Arlo nudges him on the arm, and he looks at him questioningly as he's jarred out of his thoughts. He doesn't say anything, except nod over to Lana and Andena, who both stand at the entrance of the Depingur Historia with nervous expressions.

Skye gives a small smile of acknowledgement to his uncle before quickly moving past him to Lana, feeling a deep sense of worry. Her normally fierce expression is marred by a look of true anxiety and almos terror. She continuously glances up at the depiction of the battle with the Morai on the ceiling of the cave, as if she expects it to change, and he notices her free hand fidgeting with the cuff on her arm.

He clears his throat slightly, and is surprised when Lana jumps, "Are you alright?"

"No." She says quickly, sighs, then meets his gaze sadly. "The last time I was here, Vyanna spoke in my mind for the first time and, I'm not certain why, but I have this awful feeling. Like something is about to go horribly wrong..."

He puts his hand on her shoulder gently, "We'll be out of here quickly, I promise. Nothing bad is going to happen."

"You're right...it must be this place." Lana says, but he can tell she's mostly trying to reassure herself. She takes a deep breath, gives him a strained smile, then walks towards Ellerin, who eagerly points out interesting deptictions to her. It's a subtle hint to him that she doesn't want to discuss it further, and he frowns slightly.

"Skye! Bryan!" Arlo calls from the center of the cavern, and he's snapped out of his thoughts again.

Arlo stands directly in the middle of the cavern, and stares up at the depiction high above us on the ceiling. It's the one Lana had been so nervous about moments earlier, and he frowns at that revelation as he makes his way towards his uncle and Bryan. Is the prophecy somehow hidden in that very painting?

"When I was younger, I decided to hide the prophecy here, beneath the famous depiction. Hiding right in plain sight," Arlo says proudly then turns towards them. "It requires three Dragon Riders to open it."

Bryan raises his eyebrows disbelievingly, "Three? That seems a little excessive."

Arlo ignores him. "The two of you need to channel your magic through me. The spell required to open the contraption is elaborate and I need all the power I can get to retrieve the prophecy."

Bryan and he nod in understanding and as Arlo holds his hands out, palms up, they grab hold of each one of his wrists. It's a trick they'd both been taught by their mentors and the same tactic he used to teach Lana initially. Generally , if a Dragon Rider needed to cast a large spell, other Riders could lend their magic to give them the energy needed to cast it. Otherwise, that Dragon Rider could die from using too much of their own magic. It's the same fate that nearly befell Lana when she casted a shield to protect us when they escaped Orleyn.

She was lucky and only fell into a coma.

Bryan and him nod at each other and he delves deep within himself, channeling his magic through his hands and into Arlo gently. Arlo straightens visibly from the sudden spurt of magic from both him and Bryan, and then, suddenly, his magic flows from his fingertips in a bright green light.

The enchanting green magic swirls about into complicated patterns, forming an intricate web of individual strands that flow upwards, reaching towards the depiction of the battle on the ceiling. It reminds him of a tree that is growing unexplainably fast as the glowing green tendrils weave themselves together, forming an amazing trunk of pure magic.

Arlo's magic reaches the ceiling and suddenly, the whole cavern is awash in a green light. He quickly blocks his eyes from the brightness with his free hand, and waits for it to die down before reopening his eyes. Then, just as quickly as the light came, it fades away.

Skye opens his eyes and stares with wonder as a scroll falls gently from the ceiling towards us. It's surrounded softly by Arlo's green magic, and as it reaches their height, Arlo nods towards him. He let go of Arlo's wrist and quickly held out both hands, catching the delicate scroll.

They all stare at the prophecy with awe, and that's when they finally notices Lana and Ellerin who have been standing behind them, clearly curious by our unique display of magic. Skye's never seen a spell like it before, and he makes a note to ask Arlo about it later.

He looks back down at the small scroll in his hands and he's tempted to open it right now and read it, but he figures it's better to return to Lyon and share it with the rest of the Riders. It's important to all of them, and should be dealt with accordingly. He ignore Ellerin's, Lana's, and Bryan's disappointed expressions as he quickly tuck it into a fold of his armour for safekeeping.

Skye's about to tease them about their impatience when suddenly, someone rushes through the entrance to the cave. Instinctively, he draws his sword and he can sense the others doing the same beside him as all their dragons rise from where they were sleeping beside them, growling ferociously.

Then, surprisingly, Lana lowers her sword. "Raz?"

With a shock, he realizes it is Raz, and he's not alone. The woman that he fought against at Lyon, Samena, is with him and they both have panicked looks on their faces. He's too stunned to see either of them to lower his sword, and their horrified expressions convince him to stay wary.

"She's the spy!" Raz yells and points in the direction of Ellerin and Lana, both of whom look stricken at the accusation. Arlo, Bryan, and Skye back away from them slowly, holding their weapons up, all three of them cautious and confused.

Raz raises his hands and angry red flames appear in his hands threateningly, "Lana, get away from her!"

Then, suddenly, everything makes sense. How she just appeared from nowhere, and Skye had never seen her in all the years I'd lived in Orleyn. How she just disappeared when they were trying to flee Lyra, and they couldn't find her. How it was always information they gave when she was around that was given to Vyanna and the dragon hunters. It was all Ellerin.

Ellerin is the spy.

Lana scrambles away from Ellerin fearfully, and swiftly makes her way next to Raz and Samena. The dragons circle around them protectively, and Skye feels an immense sense of relief knowing that she's safe. Then he realizes Ellerin never had any intention of going after Lana, and that she's only staring at one person: Skye.

Ellerin's muscles tense. She suddenly grows taller, taller than any normal human. Her hair grows longer, and floats about her in a very unnatural way. She laughs and in a very different voice, smoother and colder, she says, "I need that prophecy, Skye."

"She's a Morai." Bryan whispers beside him, horror evident on his features.

On the other side of him, Arlo raises his daggers, "Don't let her get the prophecy."

Then, she moves faster than the eye could see, throwing a glowing magical dagger directly at him.

It's as if he's watching it in slow motion as it turns over and over.

He can't move.

Someone jumps in front of him.

It hits.

They fall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 372 45
#9 in High Fantasy Jaessa had long dreamed of making it in the capital. Sometimes the best dreams become the worst nightmares. Featured on @fantasy @...
93.7K 7.6K 49
- WATTYS LONGLISTED 2018 - "As a child I was never scared of the dark or of the monsters that lurked under my bed. From a young age I have known exac...
38.6K 1.9K 49
'One person on their own may be able to save the world. But a team of friends, all working together, have a much greater chance of succeeding...provi...
47.8K 6K 100
In a world where humans and elves had always lived in harmony, a prophecy was made that an evil power would arise and bring the ruin of the human kin...