Crazy Animal Facts

By chestnutia

Want to know crazy facts about animals? Read on! If you want me to cover a certain topic, then please comme... More

Religious Chimps and Spiritual Cats
The Romantic Toadfish and Other Facts About Love in the Animal Kingdom
Humans
All The Single Lizard and Other Facts About Reproduction
We Love Farming
Forget About The Zombie Apacolypse
Why Can't the Chicken do my Math Homework?
Playtime for the Ravens
Crazy Childhoods
The Female Harambe and Other Acts of Compassion
Slave Owning Meerkats and Other Acts of Violence

Smooth Talking Primates

14 2 0
By chestnutia

Here are some facts about animals and language (as well as a few other things)!

One orangutan named Chantek could use a restroom, do chores, and make sure his humans gave him cheeseburgers!

Source: Katz, Brigit. "Chantek, an Orangutan Who Knew Sign Language, Has Died at 39." Smithsonian.com, Smithsonian Institution, 8 Aug. 2017, www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/chantek-orangutan-who-knew-sign-language-has-died-39-180964390/. 

Animals can tell stories. Michael the gorilla signed to researchers about how his family was killed by bushmeat hunters. He even made new gestures to 

Source: Morin, Roc. "A Conversation With Koko the Gorilla." The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 28 Aug. 2015, . 

Gorillas actually use gestures in the wild to communicate!

Source: Morin, Roc. "A Conversation With Koko the Gorilla." The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 28 Aug. 2015, .

Koko the gorilla knew when Easter and her birthday were near and prepared for them way ahead of time.

Source: Morin, Roc. "A Conversation With Koko the Gorilla." The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 28 Aug. 2015, .

Micahel the gorillas believed that cats are bad for killing birds. He proved all the haters wrong by expressing his own opinion!

Source: Morin, Roc. "A Conversation With Koko the Gorilla." The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 28 Aug. 2015, . 

Koko the gorilla was traumatized after watching a documentary about bush-meat hunting. The next day, she looked at ads for meat and signed "shame there."

Source: Hannaford, Alex. "Conversations with Koko: an audience with world's favourite 'talking' gorilla." The Telegraph, Telegraph Media Group, Sept. 2011, . 

Kanzi the bonobo translated the symbol for yogurt into a vocalization, which his sister (in another room) understood to be yogurt.

Source: Raffaele, Paul. "Speaking Bonobo." Smithsonian.com, Smithsonian Institution, 1 Nov. 2006, www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/speaking-bonobo-134931541/.

Syntax-the order of words changing the meaning of an expression-is not unique to humans. The Japanese great tit uses syntax in its vocalizations.

Source: Suzuki, Toshitaka N., et al. "Experimental evidence for compositional syntax in bird calls." Nature News, Nature Publishing Group, 8 Mar. 2016, .

Recursion-the ability to insert phrases within a phrase-is not unique to humans alone.

Here is an example of recursion. Take the expression "she saw a dog." Now insert it into another phrase and you got recursion.  He heard that she saw a dog.

Bottlenose dolphins use recursion. Chomsky was wrong.

Source: Fulton, James T. "Vision, Hearing and Language of the dolphin, Tursiops truncatus." Neuron Research, Neuron Research, June 2014, neuronresearch.net/dolphin/. 

Kanzi the bonobo started learning language (via a keyboard with symbols) after he was separated from his mother and asked for his mother back.

Source: Hamilton, Jon. "A Voluble Visit with Two Talking Apes." NPR, NPR, 8 July 2006, . 

Panbanisha the bonobo (Kanzi's sister) described a rude visitor as a "monster!"

Source: Hamilton, Jon. "A Voluble Visit with Two Talking Apes." NPR, NPR, 8 July 2006, .

Panbanisha not only cooks food, but when she saw a video of herself cooking, she narrated what would happen via lexigrams.

Source: Paulson, Amanda. "English 101 for bonobos." The Christian Science Monitor, The Christian Science Monitor, 10 May 2007, .

Japanese tits imagine a snake when they say their vocalization for it.

Source: Keim, Brandon. "'Delightful' Experiments Reveal What Birds See in Their Mind's Eye." National Geographic, National Geographic Society, 9 Feb. 2018, news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/japanese-songbirds-process-language-syntax/.

 Koko the gorilla loved puns.

Source: McGraw, Peter, and Joel Warner. "Do Animals Have a Sense of Humor?" Slate Magazine, Slate Magazine, 26 Mar. 2014, . 

Alex the parrot asked what color he was!!

Source: Wise, Steven M. Drawing the line: science and the case for animal rights. Perseus Books, 2013.

Koko the gorilla invented signs when she doesn't have a word for something.

Source: Hannaford, Alex. "Conversations with Koko: an audience with world's favourite 'talking' gorilla." The Telegraph, Telegraph Media Group, Sept. 2011, .

Prairie dogs will describe the size, color of clothes, and if a human has a gun.

Source: Pachniewska, Amanda. "The Linguistic Genius of Prairie Dogs." Animal Cognition, Animal Cognition, 8 June 2016, . 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

252K 992 30
Just some AO3 shots not mine credit to owner ❤️
361K 12.7K 41
فيصل بحده وعصبيه نطق: ان ماخذيتك وربيتك ماكون ولد محمد الوجد ببرود وعناد : ان مارفضتك ماكون بنت تركي !
91.8M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...
6M 47.5K 55
Welcome to The Wattpad HQ Community Happenings story! We are so glad you're part of our global community. This is the place for readers and writers...