Slayers and Guardians Book Tw...

By heartofice97

Zoey Francis learned last book that she and her mother Layla come from a long line of gypsies, as Jenny Calen... More

characters
chapter 1 - When They Were Bad
chapter 2 - Some Assembly Required
chapter 3 - School Hard
chapter 4 - Inca Mummy Girl
chapter 6 - Halloween
chapter 7 - Lie to Me
chapter 8 - The Dark Age
chapter 9 - What's My Line, Part 1
chapter 10 - What's My Line, Part 2
chapter 11 - Ted
chapter 12 - Bad Eggs
chapter 13 - Surprise
chapter 14 - Innocence
chapter 15 - Phases
chapter 16 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered
chapter 17 - Passion
chapter 18 - Killed By Death
chapter 19 - I Only Have Eyes For You
chapter 20 - Go Fish
chapter 21 - Becoming, Part 1
chapter 22 - Becoming, Part 2

chapter 5 - Reptile Boy

255 16 16
By heartofice97

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.

Day One

Night - Summers House - Buffy's Room

The Scoobies were gathered, watching a movie. Weird Hindi music and singing was coming from the TV. Willow sat on the floor, letting the girls braid her hair.

"Is she dying?" Brooke asked.

"I think she's singing," Buffy told them.

"To a telephone in Hindi," Xander told them.

Eric frowned. "Now that's entertainment."

The Hindi woman on TV danced around the room while singing into the phone.

"Why is she singing?" Zoey asked.

"She's sad because her lover gave her twelve gold coins," Alice explained. "But then the wizard cut open the bag of salt. And now the dancing minions have nowhere to put their big maypole... fish thing."

Xander didn't follow any of that. "Uh-huh. Why is she singing?"

"Her lover?" Brady asked. "I thought that was her chiropractor."

"Because of that thing he did with her feet?" Willow asked. "No, that was personal."

"Hmm," Zoey hummed sarcastically. "And we thought just because we didn't have any money or anyplace to go this would be a lackluster evening."

"I know," Eric told them. "We could go to the Bronze and sneak in our own tea bags and ask for hot water."

"Hop off the outlaw train, Eric," Xander told him sarcastically. "Before you land us all in jail."

"I, for one, am giddy and up," Buffy told them. "There's a kinda hush all over Sunnydale."

Brooke nodded in agreement. "No demons or vampires to slay. We're here with our friends..."

Brady watched the TV. "So, how does the water buffalo fit in again?"

Carmen shook her head.

Delta Zeta Kappa Fraternity House - Outside

The camera panned along the grass, then up to the house, to the balcony. A girl named Callie crashed through the glass door, rolling over the balcony railing, not hesitating to drop to the ground below. A fraternity brother in a dark hooded robe rushed out onto the balcony after her, seeing that she jumped, quickly going back inside. Callie stood, apparently not hurt in the fall, running as fast as she could. Five brothers, all wearing robes, came streaming out of the house after her. Callie ran into the trees, looking around for which way to go, making tracks for the wall to the north. Just as she reached it, she tripped, falling, but quickly got back up, climbing a low tree branch, jumping over the wall, shimmying over the top, dropping down the other side into the cemetery. The brothers followed her one by one over the wall.

Cemetery

Callie ran as fast as she could through the cemetery, as the brothers gave chase.

One of the brothers, Richard, was waiting ahead of her, making her run into him and scream. "Callie! Callie, where're you going? The party's just getting started."

Callie cried, sobbing uncontrollably in fear as Richard shoved her over to the others, and they took her away, having a look around to make sure no one saw, pulling his hood over his head, following them back to the house.

 Slayers and Guardians ∞

Day Two

Morning - Sunnydale High School - Hallway

Cordelia was demonstrating her fake laugh to another girl. "See? Dr. Debi says when a man is speaking, you make serious eye contact, and you really, really listen, and you laugh at everything he says."

Cordelia laughed again.

Elsewhere

The girls walked down the stairs into the hall.

Willow looked at Carmen. "You dreamed about Angel again?"

"Third night in a row," Carmen answered.

"What did he do in the dream?" Buffy asked.

Carmen played coy. "Stuff."

Brooke nodded sarcastically. "Oh. Stuff."

They smiled.

"Was it one of those vivid dreams where you could feel his lips and smell his hair?" Willow asked.

Carmen nodded. "It had surround sound."

"You're thinking about him so much lately," Alice remarked.

"You two are so right for each other," Willow told her.

"Well, yeah, Will," Buffy told her.

"They're kinda soulmates," Brooke agreed.

"Everything is kinda perfect," Willow told them.

"Except for the, uh..." Alice trailed off.

"Vampire thing," Brooke finished.

"That doesn't make him a bad person," Willow told them. "Necessarily."

"Yeah, but what kind of relationship can you have with him?" Buffy asked.

Carmen groaned, worried and conflicted.

"You might not be able to do anything together during the day, but you could ask him for coffee some night," Alice suggested.

Brooke nodded. "It's the non-relationship drink of choice."

"It's not a date," Willow agreed. "It's a caffeinated beverage."

"Yeah, but it's hot and bitter like a relationship that way," Buffy told them.

"Buffy, try to help a little less," Zoey told her.

Brady, Eric and Xander caught up to them.

"What's like a relationship?" Eric asked.

"Help a little less with what?" Brady asked.

"Let me guess," Eric told them. "Angel talk."

The girls nodded. Xander stopped by Cordelia. The others continued on.

Cordelia was talking to the girl. "There's really no comparison between college men and high school boys." She looked at Xander. "I mean, look at that."

"So, Cor, you're dating college guys now," Xander told her.

"Well, not that it's any of your business, but I happen to be dating a Delta Zeta Kappa," Cordelia told him.

"Oh, an extraterrestrial," Xander told her sarcastically. "So that's how you get a date after you exhausted all the human guys."

"You'll go to college someday, Xander," Cordelia told him. "I just know your pizza delivery career will take you so many exciting places."

Xander had no comeback for that, walking toward the Scoobies at the drinking fountain. The others smiled. The bell rang.

Brady suddenly remembered something. "Oh, we told Giles, Layla and Wyatt we'd meet them in the library ten minutes ago, before Layla has to leave for hospital shift in a little while. Aw, they won't be upset. There hasn't been much paranormal activity lately."

Library

Buffy, Brooke, Zoey, Alice, Carmen and Brady met up with Giles, Layla and Wyatt.

"Just because the paranormal is more normal and less para of late is no excuse for tardiness or letting your guards down," Giles told them.

"We haven't let our guards down," Wyatt told him.

"Oh, really?" Giles asked, looking at Brady, Buffy, Brooke, Zoey and Carmen. "You yawned your way through training last week. You--you--you skipped hand to hand entirely. Are you gonna be prepared if a demon springs up behind you and does this?"

Giles swung his arm over Brady's shoulder from behind. Brady grabbed it, pulling it behind his back, forcing him to bend over and wince in pain, having a bored look at his face. The others were impressed and amused.

"Yeah, well, he's not a demon, Brady," Layla told him. "Which is why you should let go now."

"But you did good," Wyatt told him. "Coming pretty far for a human hunter. Getting better every time."

Brady let Giles go.

"Thank you," Giles told him quietly, straightening up, rubbing his wrist.

"When you live on top of a--a mystical convergence, it's only a matter of time before a fresh hell breaks loose," Layla told them. "Now is the time that you should train more strictly. Should hunt and patrol more keenly. Should hone your skills day and night."

"And the little slice of life that still belongs to us from, I don't know, 7:00 to 7:05 in the morning?" Buffy asked. "Can we do what we want then?"

"Do you think I don't know what it's like to be 16?" Giles asked.

"No," Alice answered. "I think you don't know what it's like to be 16. And girls and boys in high school."

Zoey ticked off with her fingers. "And Slayers. Guardians. Hunters. Witches. Gypsies."

"Fair enough," Wyatt told them. "No. No, we don't."

"Or what it's like to have to stake vampires while she's soulmates with one," Brooke added. "Like Carmen."

"Right," Brady agreed. "Digging on the undead doesn't exactly do wonders for your social life."

"That's exactly where being different comes in handy," Layla told them.

"Right," Brady told them sarcastically. "Who needs a social life when you've got your very own Hellmouth?"

Giles didn't notice the sarcasm, which made Wyatt smirk in amusement. "Yes, you--you--you have duties, a purpose. You have commitments in life. Now how many people your age can say that?"

"We talking foreign or domestic?" Buffy asked.

"How about none?" Brooke asked.

"Well, here's a hard fact of life," Layla told them. "We all have to do and deal with things we don't like. I didn't like being a gypsy at first. Sometimes I still don't. But I'm coming to terms with it."

"You have hand to hand this afternoon and patrol tonight," Giles told them. "So I suggest you come straight here at the end of period six and you get your homework done. And don't dawdle with your friends."

Carmen, Buffy and Brooke pouted, to the amusement of Zoey, Alice and Brady.

"You think sitting there pouting it gonna get to Giles?" Wyatt asked in amusement. "You know it won't. But seriously, Giles, ease up. Being this hard on them isn't gonna help. It's gonna do the opposite."

"And that is why Wyatt is the fun teacher," Brady told them.

"No kidding," Brooke agreed.

Brady chuckled. "Come on."

Outside

After school, in front of the building on the stairs, Buffy, Brooke, Zoey, Alice, Carmen and Brady were standing alone. Willow, Xander and Eric walked toward them.

"Boy, what a long day," Eric told them.

"And you skipped three classes," Willow told him.

"Yeah, and, of course, they flew by," Eric replied. "Hey, guys."

"Aren't you supposed to be doing your homework in the library?" Willow asked.

"We're dawdling..." Buffy trailed off, taking Eric's arm, leaning her head on his shoulder. "With our friends."

Eric smiled, wrapping an arm around her. "Works for me."

Cordelia came walking by, bumping into Zoey. She continued down the stairs without so much as an acknowledgment. Zoey gave her a sarcastic look.

"Cordelia," Carmen warned.

A black BMW pulled up to the curb. The windows were all darkly tinted.

Xander looked at Zoey. "You okay?"

Zoey scoffed. "Jeez."

They all watched Cordelia. She pushed her sunglasses on top of her head as the driver's window lowered.

Richard was inside. "Cordelia."

"Hi, Richard," Cordelia told him. "Nice car."

Another man named Tom was in the passenger seat, noticing Carmen and Zoey were sitting on the railing, pointing them out to Richard. 

Richard looked at Cordelia. "So, uh, we're having a little get together tomorrow at the house, and it's gonna be a really special evening." Cordelia did her fake laugh, but the boys didn't get it. "Excuse me?"

"Oh, I would--I would love, love to go," Cordelia told them.

Richard gestured toward Carmen and Zoey. "So who're your friends?"

Cordelia followed their gaze. "Them? Oh, Carmen is actually my sister. Zoey was my friend a while ago, but we're more like frenemies now."

"They're amazing," Tom told her.

"Well, since you're so close to them, why don't you introduce us?" Richard asked.

Cordelia nodded. "Okay."

Cordelia turned to get them.

Zoey sat on the railing, lightly swinging her legs, pulling her sunglasses over her eyes.

"Okay, so tonight, channel fifty-nine," Xander told them. "Indian TV sex, lies, incomprehensible story lines. I'll bring the betel nuts."

Cordelia walked up to them, reaching for Zoey and Carmen's hands. "Come on, Richard and his fraternity brother wanna meet you two."

"Well, we don't really wanna meet any fraternity boys," Zoey told her.

Cordelia pulled them toward the car. "And if there was a God, don't you think he'd keep it that way?"

The others watched as Cordelia dragged Zoey and Carmen away.

"Uh, I believe we were dawdling here," Eric told her.

Cordelia brought Zoey and Carmen up to Richard.

"Hi, sweethearts," Richard told them. "I'm Richard. And you are?"

"So not interested," Zoey answered.

Zoey and Carmen turned to leave.

Cordelia grabbed their hands to stop them, laughing. "Heh, Zoey's such a little comedian."

"What, they like to play hard to get?" Richard asked.

"No, Richard, I think you're playing easy to resist," Tom told him. "Ah, feel free to ignore him. I do all the time. I'm Tom Warner. I'm a senior at Crestwood College, and I--I just feel like a complete dolt meeting you this way, so, here I stand in all my doltishness."

The others were within earshot of them, overhearing the conversation.

"Huh, huh, huh, right," Eric told them sarcastically. "Like they're gonna fall for that."

"I'm Zoey Francis, and this is Carmen Chase," Zoey told him, only out of politeness.

"Oh, nice to meet you," Tom told them. "Are you seniors here?"

"Juniors," Zoey corrected.

"Oh, me, too," Tom told them. "Except that I'm a senior and I'm in college. So we have that in common, and... I major in history."

"Mm," Zoey hummed. "History stumps me. I have a hard enough time remembering what happened last week."

"No, nothing happened last week, don't worry, I was there," Tom told them.

"They're gonna walk away," Brooke told them. "Now."

Tom looked at Zoey and Carmen. "So, uh, my friend invited Cordelia to a party we're having this weekend." Cordelia did her fake laugh loudly for Richard. "You know, actually he's not even really my friend. I only joined the fraternity because my father and grandpa were in it before me. You know, it meant a lot to them."

Alice was impatient because they had to get to the library. "Okay, boots start a-walking."

"Oh, I know, I talk too much anyway," Tom told them. "They're really dull parties full of really dull people, so... would you like to come and save me from a really dull fate?"

"Oh, I wish I could, but I'm sort of involved," Carmen told him.

"Well, sure, of course you are, Carmen," Tom told her. "What about you, Zoey?"

"I'm free, but not really interested," Zoey answered.

Tom chuckled. "Thanks for being honest and letting me down easy. Well, thanks for letting me ramble."

"You know, people underestimate the value of a good ramble," Zoey told him.

Wyatt was walking through the crowd, finding the Scoobies. "Buffy. Brooke. Zoey. Alice. Carmen. Brady. Come on."

They nodded.

"Oh, we gotta go," Brady told them. "See you."

Zoey and Carmen walked up to the others, walking to the library with Buffy, Wyatt, Brooke, Alice and Brady. Tom watched them go.

"I hate these guys," Xander told them. "Whatever they want just falls into their laps."

Eric was slightly mocking/teasing. "Don't you hate these guys?"

Willow nodded. "Yeah, with their charmed lives and their movie star good looks and more money than you can count." Xander gave her a look. Eric raised his eyebrows in amusement. "I'm hating."

Library

Training again for powers for Brooke, Zoey, Alice, Carmen and Layla, as Wyatt and Alice were doing most of the training since they had more experience. Giles and Buffy were training Brady with hand to hand fighting.

Giles walked out of the cage holding a sword in one hand and a stick in the other. "I'm going to attack you. A word of warning. For your own good, I won't be pulling any punches."

"Please don't," Brady replied, kicking the sword out of Giles' left hand.

Giles looked a bit dismayed, but quickly swung the stick at Brady. Brady sidestepped him. The end of the stick hit the floor. Brady pinned his arms down, stomping on the stick, breaking it. Buffy lunged for Brady, but Brady sidestepped, making Buffy run into the table and slide across the top.

Layla was impressed, amusement. "Good. So, don't overwork yourselves when you're patrolling. We'll see you in the morning."

They nodded in agreement, grateful for Wyatt and Layla not wanting to overwork them.

Night - Cemetery

Carmen was walking alone, keeping a careful watch, seeing a bracelet on the ground, kneeling down to pick it up.

Angel appeared. "There's blood on it."

Carmen, startled, stood, turning to face him. "Hi, it's nice to... Blood?"

Angel nodded. "I can smell it."

Carmen nodded, looking at the bracelet. "It's pretty thin. It probably belonged to a girl."

"Probably," Angel agreed.

Carmen chuckled a little. "I was just thinking, wouldn't it be funny some time to see each other when it wasn't a blood thing, but not funny 'ha ha'."

"What are you saying?" Angel asked. "You wanna have a date?"

Carmen didn't know how to answer that right away. "No."

"You don't wanna have a date?" Angel asked.

"Who said date?" Carmen asked. "I never said date."

Angel nodded. "Right. You just wanna have coffee or something. I knew this was gonna happen."

"What do you think is happening?" Carmen asked.

"You're 16 years old," Angel told her. "I'm 241."

"I've done the math," Carmen told him.

"You don't know what you're doing," Angel told her. "You don't know what you want."

Carmen scoffed slightly. "Oh, no, I think I do. I want out of this conversation."

Carmen walked past him.

Angel turned after her. "Listen, if we date, you and I both know one thing's gonna lead to another."

"One thing already has led to another," Carmen replied, turning to face him, showing him the soulmate tattoo on her wrist to prove her point. "You think it's a little late to be reading me a warning label?"

"I'm just trying to protect you," Angel told her. "This could get out of control."

"Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?" Carmen asked.

Angel took her by the shoulders, causing her to draw a startled breath. "This isn't some fairy tale. When I kiss you, you don't wake up from a deep sleep and live happily ever after."

"No," Carmen agreed. "When you kiss me, I wanna die because no matter what this tattoo means, we both think that whatever this is won't last."

Carmen pulled free, walking away. Angel was frustrated at himself, sighing in regret, just as confused and conflicted as Carmen was.

Day Three

Morning - Sunnydale High School - Classroom

Class was over and students were leaving. Carmen and Zoey slowly stood from their desks, gathering their things.

Cordelia walked in. "Carmen. Zoey. Did you lose weight? And your hair..."

"What do you want, Cordy?" Zoey asked.

Cordelia smiled. "The Zeta Kappas have to have a certain balance at their party, and Richard explained it all to me, but I was so busy really listening that I didn't hear much. Anyway, the deal is they need you to go. And if you don't go, I can't. And I'm talking about Richard Anderson, okay? As in Anderson Farms, Anderson Aeronautics, and Anderson Cosmetics." She got emotional when saying that last part. "Well, you see why I have to go. Carmen, Zoey, these men are rich. And I am not being shallow. Think of all the poor people we could help with all my money."

Zoey was thinking, just wanting to take a night off of everything, and knowing what happened between Carmen and Angel the night before, knowing that her best friend needed some time off as well. "We'll go."

Carmen was off in her own world, nodding in agreement.

Cordelia was surprised. "You'll go?" She smiled. "Great, I'll drive. Carmen, we're already sisters. But now Zoey and I are like sisters." Carmen and Zoey gave her a skeptical look. "With really different hair."

Fraternity House - Basement

A pledge named Rick was taking the oath of brotherhood.

Richard was leading the oath. "I pledge my life and my death."

"I pledge my life and my death," Rick repeated.

"To the Delta Zeta Kappas and to Machida whom we serve," Richard went on.

"To the Delta Zeta Kappas and to Machida whom we serve," Rick repeated.

"On my oath before my assembled brethren," Richard went on, starting to carve a symbol into Rick's chest with the tip of a sword.

Rick tried to ignore the pain. "On my oath before my assembled brethren."

"I promise to keep our secret from this day until my death," Richard went on.

"I promise to keep our secret from this day until my death," Rick repeated.

Richard finished the carving, lowering the sword. "In blood I was baptized, and in blood I shall reign in his name."

Rick repeated. "In blood I was baptized, and in blood I shall reign in his name."

"You are now one of us, Rick," Richard told him.

Rick raised his head. "In his name!"

The other brothers repeated. "In his name."

Richard put the sword aside, shaking Rick's hand. "Brewkski time!" A brother tossed him a beer. Richard opened it, walking over to Callie, who was shackled to the wall. "So what's a girl like you doing in a place like this?"

Callie was crying, begging. "Let me go."

"Let you go?" Richard repeated. "Okay, let me think. Um, no." He laughed. "God, I love high school girls."

Richard walked off to join the party. Callie lowered her head, weeping.

∞∞

Sunnydale High School - Lounge

The Scoobies were talking in the lounge.

Buffy gathered her things to go to class, looking at Carmen and Zoey. "You're going to the fraternity party? What made you change your mind?"

"Was it Angel for Carmen, being single for Zoey, or the fact that both of you needed a break?" Alice asked.

Carmen and Zoey signaled that all questions were right.

"Is Angel going with Carmen?" Eric asked.

Willow looked at them happily. "Carmen's got a date with Angel and Zoey's gonna have a good time. Isn't that exciting?"

"We're elated," Xander told them sarcastically.

"Carmen's not going with Angel," Zoey answered. "We're both going with--ye gods!--Cordelia."

Carmen and Zoey walked along.

"Cordelia?" Brooke repeated in shock. "Did I sound a little jealous just then? 'Cause I'm not."

They ran after Carmen and Zoey.

"Cordelia?" Buffy asked.

"Cordelia's a much better choice to go with than Angel," Xander told them.

"What happened with Angel?" Brady asked.

"Nothing as usual," Zoey answered. "A whole lotta nothing with Angel."

"Bummer," Eric told them.

"I don't understand," Alice admitted. "I mean, Angel likes Carmen."

"More than likes," Buffy agreed. "But Angel barely says two words to the rest of us."

"Don't you hate that?" Xander asked.

"And when he does, he treats us like kids," Buffy told them.

"That bastard," Xander told them.

"You know, at least Tom can carry on a conversation," Zoey told them.

"Yeah," Brooke told them, frowning. "Tom? Who's Tom?"

"The frat guy," Willow answered.

"Uh, Zoey?" Brady asked. "Carmen? I don't think so."

"Frying pan?" Eric asked. "Fire? You know what I'm saying."

Library

Wyatt was spinning around a sword expertly with no magic required.

"Will you be ready if a vampire's behind you?" Giles asked.

Wyatt thrust the sword behind him, pretending he had just jabbed one, raising the sword above his head to stab the pretend fallen victim.

Layla was watching in amusement. The other Scoobies walked in.

"We didn't see you kids creeping about," Layla told them teasingly. Wyatt tossed the sword through the open cage door, kicking the door shut. "Um, how did it go last night?"

"Good for Buffy, Brooke, Wyatt, Zoey, Brady and I," Alice answered, handing them the broken bracelet. "But Carmen found this."

Giles read the inscription. "E-N-T."

"I've seen something like that before," Layla told them.

"It's broken in two," Buffy told them. "We don't know what the rest of the letters might have spelled."

"And there's blood on it," Willow added.

"Uh, I didn't see any," Wyatt told them.

"Angel showed up to Carmen last night," Willow explained. "He could smell it."

"The blood?" Xander asked. "There's a guy you wanna party with."

"Blood," Giles told them.

"In Sunnydale," Eric told them sarcastically. "What a surprise."

"Okay, here's what we're gonna do," Brady told them. "We should probably make the rounds again tonight."

"We should try to figure out who that bracelet belongs to," Layla told them.

"Oh, good idea, yes," Giles agreed.

"We'll patrol and we'll reconvene," Wyatt told them.

"Zoey and I won't be available," Carmen told them.

"Why not?" Layla asked.

"Carmen, this is a little more important than--" Brooke started.

"I've got a mountain of homework to do, and, um, my mom's not really feeling well, and she could probably use my help, and to be truthful, I'm not really feeling all that well myself, and Zoey told me that she could help me out with the sickness because of the gypsy healing powers that Layla uses when she's working at the hospital," Carmen told them.

Zoey smirked slightly, not surprised but amused to be dragged into this again. Buffy, Alice and Willow couldn't believe what they were hearing, looking at Zoey and Carmen. The other Scoobies that knew the truth were trying not to show a reaction.

"Oh, well, um, sorry," Layla told them. "Of course, if you're not well. I could help you with the sickness healing if you need me to."

"That's kind, Layla," Buffy told her. "But I don't think they need that much help."

"Okay," Wyatt told them. "Zoey and Carmen can take the night off to help each other out. The rest of us can patrol. Carmen should stay home with her mother. And if Zoey wants to help them both feel better, who are we to stop them?"

Hallway

Buffy, Brooke, Zoey, Alice, Carmen, Willow, Brady, Eric and Xander walked into the hall. Buffy, Alice and Willow gave Zoey and Carmen a stern look.

"Well, say it," Zoey told them.

"I'm not gonna say it," Alice told them.

"You lied to Giles, Wyatt and Layla," Brady taunted in a singsong voice.

"Because Brady will," Alice told them. "And he'll taught you about it."

"Look they weren't lying," Eric told them. "They were just protecting them from information that they wouldn't be able to digest properly."

"Like a corn dog," Brady told them sarcastically.

"Like, Carmen doesn't have a sick mother, but she and Zoey would rather go to a frat party where there's gonna be drinking and older guys and probably an orgy," Willow told them.

"Whoa!" Xander said. "Whoa-ho-ho, rewind. Since when do they have orgies, and why aren't I on the mailing list?"

"There's no orgies," Buffy told them.

"I heard a lot of wild things go on at frat parties," Willow told them.

"Okay, you know what?" Brooke asked. "Look, seven days a week, all of us are busy saving the world. Once in a great while, we wanna have some fun. So if Carmen and Zoey wanna take the night off from fighting a fight that's not even their fight to fight, then that's good for them. Go have fun."

Carmen and Zoey smiled in appreciation.

Lounge

Carmen, Zoey and Cordelia were sitting at a table.

"This isn't about fun," Cordelia told them. "This is about duty, your duty, to help me achieve permanent propriety, okay? Do and dont's. Don't wear black, silk, chiffon or spandex. These are my trademarks. Zoey, don't do that weird thing with your hair."

Zoey frowned. "What weird thing with my--"

"Don't interrupt," Cordelia told her. "Do be interested if someone should speak to you. It may or may not happen, but do be polite. And laugh at the appropriate intervals." She demonstrated her fake laugh. "Do lie to your parents about where we're going. It's a fraternity, and there will be drinking."

The other Scoobies walked closer.

"So, Cor, you printing up business cards with your pager number and hours of operation, or just going with a halter top tonight?" Xander asked.

"Oh, are we feeling a little envious?" Cordelia asked. "You could date a fraternity of rich and powerful men. In the Bizarro world."

Xander had no comeback.

"Do you guys wanna join us?" Carmen asked.

"Nah, I gotta... digest and all," Buffy told them.

The others walked up to the couches and sat down.

Cordelia looked at Zoey and Carmen. "Makeup, makeup... Well, give it your all, and keep to the shadows. We're gonna have a blast."

Zoey let her head fall to the table, hitting her head against it. Carmen got Zoey to stop doing that. The others were talking.

"I can't believe they lied to Wyatt, Layla and Giles," Willow told them. "My world is all askew."

"Carmen and Zoey are lying," Brady told them. "Zoey and Carmen going to frat parties. That's not askew, that's cockeyed."

"Askew means cockeyed," Alice told him, taking his Coke, taking a drink.

They all ate.

"Well, there's nothing we can do about it," Eric told them. "We'll help Wyatt, Giles and Layla."

"I'm going to the party," Xander told them.

"What?" Buffy asked.

"I gotta keep an eye on Zoey and Carmen," Xander told them. "Those frat guys creep me."

"You wanna protect them?" Alice asked.

"Mm-hmm," Xander answered.

"And prove that you're just as good as those rich, snotty guys?" Willow asked.

"Mm-hmm," Xander answered.

"Maybe catch an orgy?" Eric asked.

"If it's on early," Xander answered.

They continued to eat and drink.

Night - Fraternity House - Outside

Cordelia's car came screeching in to park and smack the car in front of her. In the car, Cordy was driving, Carmen was in the passenger seat and Zoey were in the backseat.

"Oh, why do they park so darn close to you?" Cordelia asked. "Are you ready for this?"

"I don't know," Zoey admitted. "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

Cordelia hadn't been listening. "Me, too. Let's go." She got out of the car, closing the door. "Come on."

Carmen and Zoey sighed, getting out of the car.

Inside - Living Room

(Song:) Secrets - Shawn K Clement & Sean W. Murray

Two girls walked in through the door, walking through the living room. A couple of fraternity brothers watched them walk by.

"Beaucoup babes," a tackle football player cheered.

A linebacker smiled. "Ooh, yeah."

The camera slowly panned across the room to Zoey, Carmen and Cordelia.

"You know what's so cool about college?" Cordelia asked. "The diversity. You've got all the rich people, and all the other people. Richard!"

Richard walked closer to hand them drinks. "Welcome, ladies."

"Thank you," Carmen told him.

"Oh, is there alcohol is this?" Zoey asked.

"Just a smidge," Richard answered.

"Come on, Zoey, it's just a smidge," Cordelia told her.

Zoey whispered to Carmen and Cordelia so Richard and no one else would hear. "If I drink too much, gypsy powers get out of control."

Carmen whispered to Zoey. "Then leave your necklace on so you can't use your powers while you drink."

Zoey sighed, putting her necklace on the blocked her powers.

"I understand if you don't wanna drink," Richard told them. "When I was your age, I wasn't into grownup things either. Have you seen our multi-media room?"

"Oh, the one with the cherry walnut paneling and the 248 inch televisions on satellite feed?" Cordelia asked, smiling. "No. Wanna show me?"

Richard nodded to Zoey and Carmen. "What about..."

"Oh, them?" Cordelia asked. "Zoey and Carmen are happier when these two best friends are together wherever they are."

They walked off, leaving Zoey and Carmen standing there.

(Song Ends)

Elsewhere

(Song:) Wolves - Shawn K. Clement & Sean W. Murray

Xander poked his head in a side window, looking around, climbing in, losing his balance, falling through the window to the floor, hopping back up, taking a drink from a tray that was being passed around by a half-naked pledge. "Cheers."

Xander looked at a girl as she walked by, continuing through he room, walking into the next room, but didn't notice Zoey and Carmen behind them, who were looking the other way and didn't see him either. Xander looked at another girl passing by, distracted by a tray of hors-d'oeuvres being carried around by another pledge in drag, reaching for the try, following it away, leaving the room. Zoey and Carmen turned around, bored. Carmen walked away to get a drink, looking at the infinity/cross necklace around her neck, thinking about Angel. Zoey was fidgeting with her necklace that blocked her powers, picking up her drink, stirring it idly for a moment, realizing she really didn't want it, putting it back down, looking around at the people dancing.

(Song Ends)

(Song:) She - Louie Says

A dance crowd separated for a moment. The pledge from earlier, Rick, was on the other side of the room, looking at Carmen, raising his drink to her. Carmen didn't pay attention to him, drinking. Tackle and linebacker were standing behind Rick, watching Zoey and Carmen.

The tackle was drunk, staggering toward them. "New girls!" He grabbed Rick for balance, pulling him away before he even got his drink to his lips. "Dance!" Zoey and Carmen looked up in wide-eyed surprise when they saw him coming for them. "Come on, girls."

Tom appeared in the nick of time, taking Zoey by the arm. "Can I have this dance?"

When Tom pulled Zoey to the dance area just as the tackle was about to crash into her, the tackle looked up, surprised at her disappearance, seeing Carmen again, walking toward her instead. Rick pulled Carmen into a dance before the tackle got to her.

Zoey looked from the tackle to Tom. "Thanks."

"I'm really glad that you decided to come," Tom told her.

Zoey shrugged. "I didn't wanna come at first. I came mainly because my ex friend was making me and my best friend come. And because I wanted my friend to have fun for once. Long story."

Tom smiled. "Well, I'm glad you did."

Rick was dancing with Carmen. "You're not happy you came?"

"No, it's..." Carmen trailed off, sighing. "I shouldn't be here."

"Because you're seeing someone?" Rick asked.

"No," Carmen answered.

"You're not seeing someone?" Rick asked.

"Someone's not seeing me," Carmen answered.

"So why shouldn't you be here?" Rick asked.

"Because I have obligations," Carmen answered. "People that I'm responsible for, or to, or with." Rick laughed, so did she. "It's complicated."

"You're big on responsibility," Rick told her. "I like that. But there's such a thing as being too mature. You should relax. Enjoy yourself once in a while."

"You think I'm too mature?" Carmen asked.

Tom and Zoey were still dancing.

Tom chuckled. "I talk too much. Have you picked up on that yet?"

Tom spun Zoey around, pulling her closer.

Zoey was slightly uncomfortable but remained polite, backing out of the dance. "Anyway, the, uh, the Hulk is gone, so you don't have to dance with me."

"I wasn't dancing with you because I am to," Tom told her. "Plus, he might come back."

Elsewhere, Xander was talking to two girls, grabbing another hors-d'oeuvre from a tray as it passed by, playing with the food, acting out monsters with growls. "Godzilla's attacking downtown Tokyo."

Richard was watching Xander. The tackle and linebacker joined him.

"Who's this dork?" tackle asked.

"Never seen him before in my life," Richard told them.

The linebacker smiled. "We got us a crasher."

They walked up to Xander.

Xander looked at the girls. "So, have either of you seen three girls here, all brunette?"

"New pledge," the tackle told him.

"New pledge!" the linebacker repeated.

They grabbed Xander, dragging him off. "New pledge, new pledge, new pledge, new pledge, new pledge!"

(Song Ends)

Patio

(Song:) If I Can't Have You - Shawn K. Clement & Sean W. Murray

Zoey strolled out of the house alone, rubbing her arms bit against the chill, crossing them, stepping on a piece of glass, looking down, seeing several small pieces there, crouching to pick one up, looking up above her, noticing the door to the balcony had been boarded up, standing up.

Tom walked outside. "You okay?"

Zoey dropped the piece of glass, sighing. "Yeah, I was just thinking."

Rick and Carmen walked ooutside to join them.

"To my Argentinean junk bonds that just matured into double digits," Rick told them. "Uh, to maturity."

"What the hell?" Carmen asked. "I'm tired of being mature."

"I'll second that," Zoey told her.

Carmen and Zoey clinked their cups, drinking quickly. Rick and Tom raised their eyebrows, exchanging a look, drinking theirs also.

(Song Ends)

Sunnydale High School - Library

The others were still in the library, playing word games, trying to figure out what the word on the bracelet might have been. Willow typed the words as they thought of them.

"Bent," Buffy told them.

"Sent," Alice added.

"Rent," Wyatt told them.

"Uh, Lent," Giles went on. "Dent."

"Went," Brooke told them.

"Kent," Eric told them.

Layla looked up in realization. "Kent! That's it."

"Her boyfriend's name was Kent?" Buffy asked.

"No," Layla answered. "Kent Preparatory School. Just outside of town. That's where I've seen these bracelets."

Brady looked at Willow. "Wh--what are you doing?"

"Pulling up their school newsletter for the past few months," Willow answered. "See if there's anything about..."

"A missing girl," Giles finished.

The most recent issue of the newsletter had a picture of Callie on the front page. The title of the article read, 'Callie, Our Hearts & Prayers Are With You'.

Fraternity House - Living Room

(Song:) Bring Me On - Act of Faith

Xander was being hazed. The linebacker grabbed his cheeks to pucker his lips, smearing lipstick on them. Everyone was laughing hysterically.

"Come on, dance, pretty boy!" the tackle told him. The camera pulled back from Xander's face. They had put a skirt and a huge bra on him. He did his usual lame dancing while the party guests cheered him on. "Keep in moving, come on." The tackle laughed. "Shake it, don't break it. Wrap it up and I'll take it."

Xander looked around nervously. "Okay, big fun, guys, uh, who's next?"

The tackle put a blonde wig on Xander's head. "You are, doll face! Keep on dancing, all right?"

By the front door, Zoey was woozy from the drink, steadying herself against the wall, making her way over to the stairs, knocking down a drink, but couldn't react fast enough to catch it, looking at the commotion in the next room, unable to see Cordelia or Carmen, not knowing Xander was there, slowly making her way up the stairs to find a place to rest.

(Song Ends)

Bedroom

(Song:) Devil's Lair - Shawn K. Clement & Sean W. Murray

Zoey pushed open the door, walking in, bumping into a sculpture, steadying herself, heading for the bed, crawling on. "Okay, nice bed. Just need to stop spinning for at least..."

Zoey laid down, falling asleep. Carmen was laying at the foot of the bed. Rick and Richard walked in, rolling them over onto their backs, smiling. Richard brushed his hand along Zoey's neck. Richard and Rick were suddenly pulled away from Zoey and Carmen by Tom.

"Get away from them," Tom told them.

"We weren't doing anything," Rick told him.

"I saw what you were doing," Tom told them.

Richard rolled his eyes. "We were just having a little fun."

"Well, they're not here for your fun, you perverts," Tom told them. "They're here for the pleasure of the one we serve."

Rick nodded, ashamed. "In his name."

"And that goes for the other one, too," Tom told them.

The camera panned down from Zoey and Carmen passed out on the bed to Cordelia passed out on the floor.

(Song Ends)

∞∞

Sunnydale High School - Library

Giles picked up the printout of the Newsletter's front page. "Callie Megan Anderson. Missing for over a week. No one's seen her, no one knows what happened to her."

"This being Sunnydale and all I guess we can rule out something good," Buffy told them.

"I can call Zoey and Carmen," Layla told them.

"No," Brooke told her.

"Why not?" Wyatt asked.

"Because Zoey is helping Carmen and her mother..." Brady trailed off, gesturing for them to understand.

"Helping them stop being sick," Wyatt finished.

Willow and Alice gave them a look that Giles, Wyatt and Layla didn't see.

"No, you're quite right," Giles told them. "No, there's no point in disturbing them until we know more."

Eric turned his attention to the computer. Some more information came up. "You mean, like, if there're others? Brittany Oswald, junior at St. Michael's, disappeared a year ago. So did Kelly Percell, sophomore at Grant."

"A year?" Alice asked.

"Almost to the day," Brady answered.

Alice frowned. "An anniversary? Or perhaps some other event significant to the killer."

"Killer?" Buffy repeated. "Now there's a killer? We don't know that there's a..."

"No," Brooke agreed. "We don't. But this being Sunnydale and all..."

"Gulp," Willow said.

Giles exhaled. "We need to know where Carmen found that bracelet, and then we can begin our search there."

Giles reached for the phone.

"Good idea," Wyatt told him. "Call Angel. He was there when Carmen found it."

"Yeah, so we don't bother Carmen or Zoey," Brady agreed. "But we might do need more help."

Eric nodded. "So call Angel."

Fraternity House

(Song:) Graffiti Sound - Shawn K. Clement & Sean W. Murray

The party was over. Tackle shoved Xander out of the house, still messed with.

The linebacker threw Xander his clothes. "Party's over, jerkwater."

"Wait, a couple friends of mine were here," Xander told them.

"You know, in that light, with that wig on and all, you're still butt-ugly," the tackle told him.

They laughed, closing the door in his face. Xander dropped his clothes, pulling off the wig, throwing it down, undoing the bra, taking it off, throwing it down.

(Song Ends)

Basement

Richard took a sword, walking behind a kneeling Tom. Tom had a series of symbols carved onto his chest. Richard began to carve another one on Tom's back. Rick and the other pledges were standing nearby. The camera panned over to where Callie was shackled to the wall, revealing that Zoey, Carmen and Cordelia were shackled nearby as well, just waking up from being drugged and brought down here, very groggy because of the drug being very heavy in their systems.

"Zoey?" Cordelia asked. "Carmen? Where are we?"

"In the basement, far as I can tell," Carmen answered.

"What's happening?" Cordelia asked. "What did they do to us? Why can't you break free with, you know, powers?"

"Zoey's wearing her necklace, and on top of that, they drugged us," Carmen answered.

"Which makes it harder for you to use powers," Cordelia finished. "Why did they do this? What are they gonna do to us?"

"I don't know," Zoey told them.

Cordelia whined. "I wanna go home."

"No one's going home," Callie told them. "Ever. Look, one of them's different than the others. Nicer."

"Tom," Zoey whispered.

Richard was finished carving Tom's new symbol. Tom got up, turning to the girls. Rick and another brother helped him on with his robe.

"He's the one to watch out for," Callie told them.

Zoey shook her chains a bit, looking at the necklace around her neck that blocked her powers, unable to take it off while she was chained up. Carmen was trying to focus enough to use her powers, but with the drugs still heavy in her system she couldn't focus properly.

Tom looked at Zoey and Carmen. "They're last."

"Last?" Carmen repeated. "For what?"

Tom walked toward the well, picking up a bag.

"Who's first?" Cordelia demanded. "Answer me. Who's first?"

Tom let four stones drop out of the bag into his hand.

"Four stones," Zoey told them. "Four of us."

Cordelia started to panic. "Zoey. Carmen."

"Stay calm," Carmen told them. "We'll get out of this."

Tom poured water over the stones.

"Why'd I ever let you two talk me into coming here?" Cordelia asked.

Zoey and Carmen looked at Cordelia in disbelief. Tom was done with his stone cleansing ritual, facing the girls, staring at them.

Library

Angel was here with the others. "She found the bracelet in the cemetery. Near the south wall."

"South wall," Giles repeated. Willow stared at the window behind Angel in fascination. Angel casted no reflection in it. "What are you doing?"

"Oh, sorry," Willow told them. "The reflection thing that you don't have. Angel, how do you shave?"

The others exchanged a look.

"South wall," Alice told them. "That's near the college." She realized the girls were in danger. "And the fraternity house."

"The fraternity," Buffy repeated worriedly.

"They could be taking these girls," Eric told them.

"Let's get out there," Brady told them.

"Carmen and Zoey," Alice told them.

"We don't know that it's concrete," Angel told them. "Uh, let's not disturb them until--"

"Are there," Eric told them. "With Cordelia. They went to a party at the Zeta Kappa house."

"They lied to us?" Wyatt asked.

"Well..." Buffy trailed off nervously.

"Did Carmen have a date?" Angel asked, looking jealous at the thought.

"Other than Zoey and Cordelia, no," Willow answered.

Angel huffed, looking relieved at that, more than he wanted to admit.

"But why do you think they went to that party?" Brooke asked. "Because Angel gave Carmen the brush off."

Buffy looked at Giles. "And you never let any of us do anything except work and patrol."

"You're killing us with all the pressure," Brady told him. "And Zoey and Carmen aren't even the Chosen Ones, so we knew that they deserved a break."

"I mean, they're all 16/17 going on 40," Willow told them.

Alice looked at Angel. "And you. I mean, you're gonna live forever. You don't have time for a cup of coffee?"

The others were speechless.

"Okay," Brooke told them. "I don't feel better."

"But we've gotta help Zoey and Carmen," Willow told them, leaving the library to go save her best friends.

The others exchanged a look, following.

Fraternity House - Outside

Xander walked past a few cars, still wearing the skirt, carrying his clothes in a bundle. "One day I'll have money, prestige, power, and on that day, they'll still have more."

Xander walked past Cordelia's car, somewhat recognizing it, checking the license plate to see it read: Queen C, realizing it was Cordelia's car, looking at the house, making his way back to it.

Inside - Basement

The ritual was beginning.

Tom was standing on the stairs, holding the sword. "Machida."

The brothers spoke together. "In his name."

"We who serve you, we who receive all that you bestow, call upon you in this unholy hour," Tom told him.

The brothers spoke together. "In this holy hour."

Tom turned to walk toward Richard, holding the sword horizontally in both hands. "We have no wealth, no possession, except that which you give us."

The brothers spoke together. "Except that which you give us."

Tom placed the sword on Richard's arms. "We have no power, no place in the world, except that which you give us."

The brothers spoke together. "Except that which you give us."

Richard hugged the sword to his chest, crossing his hands over his heart.

"What are they, some kind of cult or something?" Carmen asked.

"Yeah, a psycho cult," Zoey answered.

"You've gotta do something," Cordelia told them.

Tom spoke to the brothers and Machida. "It's been a year since our last offering." Richard lowered the sword, resting the tip on the floor. "A year in which our bounty overflowed. We come before you with fresh offerings."

"Offerings?" Cordelia repeated in alarm. "He's talking about us?"

"Do you see anyone else chained up in here?" Callie replied.

Tom spoke to Machida. "Accept our offering, Dark Lord, and bless us with your power. Machida!"

The brothers repeated. "Machida!"

Tom tossed the stones into the well at the center of the basement one at a time.

Cordelia, frightened, whimpered. "What's down there?"

"Come forth, and let your terrible countenance look upon your servants, and their humble offering," Tom told him. "We call you, Machida."

The brothers spoke together. "In his name. Machida."

"There's something down there and he's gonna throw us down there with it," Cordelia told them.

"I don't think so," Zoey answered.

"No?" Cordelia asked. "Well, that's good. That--that's--"

"I don't think we go to it," Carmen told them. "I think it comes to us."

Cordelia realized they were right, making a terrified noise. "Oh, no!" Tom looked up, awaiting Machida's arrival. The camera closed in on the well. Machida rose out of it. It was a half-man, half-snake, green and scaly, as tall as the very high ceiling in the dungeon like basement, which towered over everyone in the room. "Oh, my God!"

Cordelia screamed. Machida growled, looking at the girls. Cordelia kept screaming. Zoey and Carmen stared at Machida in wide eyed horror.

∞∞

Zoey tried to yank her chains from the ceiling. Carmen was trying to focus on using her powers, trying to power through the drugs clouding her mind and focus.

"Come on, Carmen!" Cordelia told her. "Oh, my God. Oh, come on, Zoey!"

Machida remained stationary, spreading his arms.

"For he shall rise from the depths, and we shall tremble before him," Tom told them. "He who is the source of all we inherit and all we possess. Machida."

The brothers repeated. "Machida."

"And if he is pleased with our offerings, then our fortune shall increase," Tom told them.

The brothers spoke together. "Machida. Let our fortunes increase."

"And on the tenth day of the tenth month, he shall be enhungered, and we shall feed him," Tom told them.

Machida gazed at the girls.

"Feed him?" Cordelia repeated incredulously, raising her voice. "Feed him?"

Outside

The others arrived, walking through the bushes from the street to the lawn.

"Looks like everyone's gone," Wyatt told them.

They looked up at the house. Someone behind them stepped on some foliage.

Angel instantly turned around to confront him. "Hey!"

"Hey!" Xander told them, lifting the hood from his eyes. "What are you guys doing here?"

"A bunch of girls are missing," Buffy answered. "And the Zeta Kappas may be involved."

"And Zoey," Eric added. "And Carmen. And Cordelia."

"Are you wearing makeup?" Brooke asked.

Xander smeared the lipstick off with his fingers. "No."

"I think Zoey and Carmen are still inside somewhere with Cordelia," Willow told them. "Her car's still here."

Layla gestured to Xander's robe. "Why are you wearing that?"

"Oh, I found it in their trash," Xander told them. "I saw them through the window. They were wearing robes and went down to the basement. I was gonna use it to sneak in."

"They may be involved in some kind of ritual," Giles told them.

"With the missing girls," Brady told them.

Layla was horrified with her daughter being in danger, pulling off her necklace so she could use her power to defend her daughter, hands and necklace glowing purple. "And Zoey."

Angel growled, transformed, angry and protective. "With Carmen."

"Okay," Wyatt told them. "Those are the gypsy mother and vampire you wanna party with."

Inside - Basement

Machida closed in on Cordelia as she screamed.

"Hey, reptile boy!" Zoey told him to get his attention away from Cordy.

Tom glared at her. "No woman speaks to him."

Carmen ignored him. "You don't want her. Look at her. She's all skin and bones. Half an hour later you'll be hungry."

Tom walked over to Zoey and Carmen. "I told you to shut up." He backhand punched Carmen in the face, holding the sword to Zoey's throat, angering them. "You speak again and I'll cut your throats."

Foyer

Xander stepped up to the door with the hood up and his head down and knocked. The tackle came to the door to answer.

"Got locked out dumping the trash," Xander told him. "Let me in. I don't wanna miss the, uh..."

The tackle opened the door and waved him in. "Come on."

The others came in.

"Where are they?" Buffy asked, punching him in the face, making him fall to the floor.

Angel walked in, punching another guy, making him fall. Brady punched another guy down.

Layla used her purple power to throw oncoming brothers into the wall, making them fall.

Basement

Two brothers unchained Cordelia, holding her.

Tom heard the commotion upstairs. "Something's going on upstairs. Go, go!" Several of them ran upstairs to see what was going on. "Feed, Dark Lord."

Machida rose above Cordelia, moving in to take her from the brothers' grip. Cordelia screamed loudly, struggling.

Carmen was so angry and protective that it fueled her drugged and clouded mind with ammunition to protect her sister, using her telekinesis power to break free, using her levitation power to fight Machida, punching him in the face. Machida pulled away from them, holding the side of his face. Carmen used her telekinesis power to break Zoey free.

Now that Zoey was no longer chained up, she took off her necklace so she could use her power, glowing with purple power that she used to throw the brothers to the ground. Tom took a swing at Zoey with his sword. Zoey ducked, kicking him in the chest, punching him in the face.

Living Room

Buffy, Brady, Eric, Xander, Giles and Angel were taking out brothers hand to hand fighting, while Wyatt, Brooke, Alice and Layla were using their powers to get them out of the way. Willow dodged past them to get to the basement door, going in.

Xander was on the tackle's back, punching him. "That's for the wig and bra!"

Willow ran back into the room. "Some guy's attacking Zoey with a sword. Carmen's fighting a really big snake."

Layla and Angel were worried and angry with the way they were in danger.

The others knocked out more brothers. Willow screamed, backing away as the brothers fell to the floor.

Xander kept punching the tackle. "That's for the makeup!" He punched him again, making him unconscious. "And that's for the last sixteen and a half years!"

"Guys!" Layla told them. "Zoey. Guy with word. Carmen. Demon snake. Basement. Now."

They ran to the basement.

Basement

Zoey and Carmen used their power against Machida to make it scream in agony, but it knocked both of them down. Zoey stood.

Tom looked at Zoey. "You bitch! I'll serve you to him in pieces."

Tom tried to slash into Zoey with the sword.

Zoey caught the blade with her powers, wrapping a loop of purple power around Tom's neck, pulling him in. "Tom, you talk too much."

Zoey magically threw Tom away, making him roll over a table, knocking everything off of it. Machida grabbed Cordelia, starting to drag her away. Tom jumped up to aim the sword a Zoey from behind, restraining her so he could put the sword to her throat.

Carmen stood from where she had been thrown down, raising her arms toward Machida and Tom, trying to use telekinesis against them to save Cordelia and Zoey from them. "Let them go, wormies!"

The others ran into the room.

Instead of telekinesis, Carmen released a new power that she was just now getting in the moment, which froze the two targets that she was intending to stop, saving Cordelia and Zoey. Zoey, Cordelia and the others were still able to move since Carmen hadn't been aiming her power at them, looking at Carmen in shock. Carmen was in shock to have a new power, smiling in relief.

With Tom still frozen, Zoey was able to push the sword away from her throat, pulling free from the restraint with ease, magically throwing Tom to the floor, turning to face the others.

With Machida still frozen, Alice, Brooke, Carmen, Wyatt, Zoey and Layla continuously used their combined power, which showed in colors of red for Alice and Brooke, blue for Carmen and Wyatt, and purple for Zoey and Layla, to tear Machida apart, until he fell to the ground, dead. Buffy, Willow, Brady, Eric, Xander, Giles and Cordelia made faces at the grossness of it.

Wyatt waved his hand toward Callie to free her from her chains with his power.

"You did it," Cordelia told them. "You saved us." She grabbed Carmen in a tight hug. "I've never been so happy to see anyone in my whole..." She let go. "You guys." She cried. "I just... hate you guys. The weirdest things always happen when you're around." Angel brought Tom over, who was now unfrozen. Cordelia grabbed him by the shirt. "And you! You're going to jail for fifteen thousand years."

Cordelia let go of him, walking up the stairs. Angel shoved Tom up the stairs ahead of him.

Layla sighed in relief, pulling her daughter into her arms, relieved for her to be okay. "Zoey. Oh, my God."

"Hey, Mom," Zoey told her. "I'm okay. We're okay." They pulled away. Layla and Giles gave Zoey and Carmen a look. Zoey looked down sheepishly. "We told one lie. We had one drink."

"Yes, and you were very nearly devoured by a giant demon snake," Giles told them. "The words 'let that be a lesson' are a tad redundant at this juncture."

"We're sorry," Carmen told him, looking at him for forgiveness.

"So am I," Giles told them. He looked at Buffy, Brooke, Zoey, Alice, Carmen and Brady. "I--I drive you too hard because I--I know what you have to face. From now on no, no more pushing, no more prodding. Just, uh, an inordinate amount of nudging."

They all smiled, walking upstairs.

The Bronze

Jonathon was at the bar, anxiously waiting for a large cup of cappuccino. "Come on, hurry."

The bartender came it to him. "Here you go."

Jonathon took the order over to Cordelia.

"Thank you, Jonathon," Cordelia told him. "Did we forget something?"

Jonathon frowned. "Um, cinnamon, chocolate, half-caf, nonfat." Cordelia just looked at him. Jonathon realized his mistake. "Extra foam."

Cordelia took the muffin he brought, waving the cappuccino away, stepping over to the Scoobies at their table, noticing that Alice was reading the Sunnydale Press. "Young men are the only way to go."

Cordelia left.

"Says here that they've all been sentenced to consecutive life sentences," Alice told them. "Investigators found the bones of missing girls in a huge cavern beneath the frat house. And older bones dating back fifty years." The others exchanged a grossed-out look. "A surprising number of corporations whose chairmen and founders are former Delta Zeta Kappas are suffering from falling profits, IRS raids... Ooh, and suicides in the boardroom."

Brady nodded sarcastically. "Hmm. Starve a snake. Lose a fortune. Boy. I guess the rich really are different, huh?"

"Uh-huh," Buffy answered. "Oh, yeah. It's creepy. Very."

"That's one word for it," Eric agreed. "But Carmen getting a new power was awesome. Freezing two bad guys and stopping them from killing Cordelia and Zoey was freaking cool."

Carmen smiled.

"Thank you for saving us, Carmen," Zoey told her.

"You don't ever have to thank me for saving my sister and my best friend," Carmen told her. "But it's nice to hear."

Zoey smiled, looking at the others. "And thank you for coming to our rescue."

"Even though you guys did the rescuing yourselves, no problem," Brady told them.

They all smiled.

Willow looked at Zoey. "The way that Layla went into protective mother gypsy mode when she realized that you were in danger, Zoey, it was incredible. Layla is like our idol." Zoey smiled. Willow looked at Carmen. "Have you heard from Angel? When he got so mad about you being in danger, and changed into a..." She made a face. "Grr, it was the most amazing thing I ever saw. I mean, how many guys can..."

"Well, one other amazing thing I've seen?" Buffy asked. "Wyatt fighting against his evil psycho brother Spike. To defend our little Miss Brooke right here no less."

"Not to mention that Brooke went after Spike to save Wyatt," Eric agreed. "While knowing that Spike was actually trying to kill her."

Buffy smiled, taking Eric by the hand. "Oh, the things we do for love."

They smiled.

Angel walked down the stairs and over to stand behind Xander.

"Angel, Angel, Angel, Wyatt, Wyatt, Wyatt," Xander told them sarcastically. "Does every conversation we have have to come around to those creatures of the night?" He noticed Angel. "Hey, man, how you doing?"

"Carmen," Angel told her.

"Angel," Carmen told him.

"Eric," Eric told them in a deep voice, shaking his head.

"I hear this place, uh, serves coffee," Angel told her. The girls exchanged a look, smiling. "I thought maybe you and I should get some. Sometime. If you want."

Carmen smiled a small smile. "Yeah. Sometime. I'll let you know."

Angel looked at her curiously. Carmen stood, walking away with a smile.

Brooke saw Wyatt by the door, looking at the others. "Speaking of Wyatt." She stood, walking toward Wyatt by the door, leaning against the doorway next to him. "Checking up on me?"

"Just making sure no other vampires are coming after you," Wyatt answered. "Because of Spike. And his games at the school the other night. He's not gonna give up, Brooke. He's gonna come after you again."

"To try to get to you and make you go mad," Brooke told him. "Like he did to your first love, Wyatt."

"I'm fine," Wyatt told her. "I can handle the heat." Brooke took his hands in hers, trailing her fingers over his skin, seeing the soulmate mark on his wrist, realizing that he had gotten it after they had kissed in 2.01, smiling in surprise, looking up at him. Wyatt smirked a bit at her reaction. "I know you can, too. I still wanna make sure you're okay, Brooke."

"We'll be fine, together," Brooke answered. "Come on."

Brooke smiled, leaning closer to kiss him slowly and passionately. Wyatt returned the kiss, placing a hand on her cheek. They pulled away, smiling slightly, leaving the Bronze together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 320 42
«I think I'm better at being a g h o s t of the past than I am a human being» ◈◈◈ Paige had been gone a long time. It has been years since the May fa...
132K 4.4K 116
Imagine that life was perfect. It was normal. You were popular and happy. Everything was going your way until a new girl showed up. That's how life...
50.5K 1.6K 23
"So," he said. "Let me get this straight: You're a werewolf?" "Yes." "Who lives with a group of other werewolves?" "Yes." "And you all have normal ev...
45.6K 1.1K 43
"Ezra?" I ask, glaring at his stupidly beautiful face. "Yes, love?" He answers, his eyes fixed on the flowers infront of us. "I hate you." I say. He...