Defying Gravity [Byakuya Kuch...

By Animemadness101

It's a family secret that Katrien keeps under lock and key, one that could either be her saving grace or get... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Final Chapter

Chapter 13

2.1K 78 5
By Animemadness101

        Byakuya's Spiritual Pressure was rising, the white glow of it rolling off his body. There was a similar black marking on his hand now, and once again, the Captain did not hesitate to sever the bond. The action made his arm fall limp to his side. "Hadou Number One: Shou," Byakuya spoke, pointing his finger at Rukia. It broke her free from the ice, making the girl roll onto her side.

        "I see, you not only disabled your left leg, but your left arm as well," Zommari stated, hands pressed together. "Once those objects were out of your control, you reguarded them as enemies and slashed them. Even though they were apart of your body. So coldy analytical. However, that detachment seems rash. Of your four limbs, only your right arm and leg remain functional. Under the circumstances, you display a high level of arrogance. Considering your disability, challenging an Espada is hard and rational act. That must be apparent, even to you?"

        "As I told you," Byakuya finally spoke up. "This difference between my power and yours is as wide as the gap between heaven and earth. But this talk is tedious. It is true I discarded my limbs, but even without their use you and I are still far from equal."

        Zommari glared. "How unfortunate. I thought you might listen to reason. But you appear to have less understanding of your abilities than I first thought. There was something I forgot to tell you, let me explain myself. These eyes of mine have unique and specific powers and can control one object for each eye." The Captain glared harshly. "I'm glad you realized quickly what that means. In addition to your limbs, I have the power to control something else. This makes it impossible for you to defend against it."

        Rukia's body rose from the ground in an attack, heading straight for Byakuya. He dodged it in time, having to step back onto his injured leg and wincing slightly in pain. Yet there was no time to think about it as she continued throwing her zanpakuto left and right, under Zommari's command. The Captain's eyes roamed her form for only a few moments before finally spotting the marking just above her left eye.

        "If I control the head, then I control the whole body," Zommari stated with a smirk. And his opponent couldn't stop her advances unless he killed her. "It's quite dynamic, and is not affected by a person's injuries." Byakuya rushed forward in an attack. "Don't move!" the Espada ordered, halting Rukia's action. Instead of attacking, she held the zanpakuto to her own throat, making the brother hault. "You see the dilemma. Throw down your zanpakuto, Captain. Face the fact that you have lost."

        Just as Byakuya was about to release his sword, an invisible object slammed against Rukia's arm, forcing the zanpakuto away. Both men's eyes widened, not understanding what was going on. Trying to move Rukia, Zommari's poen eye on his form pulsed. However the young woman was thrown backwards to the floor before being pinned by chains that shattered the ice, coming up from the ground. Struggling was useless, as they twisted around the Soul Reaper's body, holding her in place.

        "Not another step, Espada." The two turned towards the darkest shadows of the hallway, a black slipper coming into view.

        "This is my fight," Byakuya stated.

        "You look awful. Why not watch after your sister? And you should be thanking me for saving her life." Their lower half came into view. "I know you're worried about her. So why not let me take over."

        "I have my reasons."

        "Yes, I know. As a Kuchiki you are very proud of your name, and anyone who harms someone under that name must pay dearly. I am very aware of that, Captain Byakuya Kuchiki." Their torso was next, along with their arms.

        The Captain's eyes narrowed. "State your name."

        "I'm hurt," the person faked with a slight pout. "Though it has been over a hundred years."

        The Kuchiki's eyes widened, recognizing the woman who came into the light. "K... Katrien..." he whispered.

        She smiled lightly. "Hello, Byakuya." The Espada moved, facing her head on. "Now is not the time to talk about this. I am ordering you, as once a Lieutenant, almost to become a Captain, to stand down and let me fight."

        He could see it in her eyes that something in the air around her had shifted. She had changed, and the power was swirling behind the look she gave him. Though this fight was important to him, Byakuya knew better than to go against Katrien's word. He stepped away as the woman walked past. "Hanataro, tend to their wounds," she directed, the Fourth Squad member poking his head around the woman.

        "Yes, ma'am," he answered, briskly walking towards the Captain and his sister.

        "You will have another chance at an Espada," Katrien said as she passed Byakuya. "I promise..."

        "Who are you?" Zommari asked, looking over Katrien.

        "Ex-Lieutenant of the Fourth Squad, Katrien Kotetsu."

        "That's the Healing Squad. You should've stayed on the sidelines when you had the chance, girl."

        Katrien grinned dangerously. "I think I'm fine right where I am."

        A thought crossed the man's mind. "Where are my Fracción?"

        "Those girls? They were no match for me. Pity, I thought they were better than how they performed. Guess I was mistaken."

        Zommari's eyes hardened, pressing his hands together, Katrien making a symbol with her fingers in front of her face. Her eyes closed in concentration. An eye opened on the man's body before a marking appeared on Katrien's neck. "This fight was over before it even started," Zommari stated, going in to gain control. However, nothing happened. The Espada's expression turned into one of confusion.

        "You're very right," Katrien spoke up. Her eyes opened, a slit appearing on the forehead. Slowly, the Third Eye opened, locking on Zommari. It made him step back. "This fight was over before it begun."

        "Y-You've crossed into Black Magic!" he exclaimed, becoming fearful.

        Something sliced through the long sleeved shirt Katrien wore, making them fall to the ground in scraps, and revealing another top underneath. Black symbols and marks ran over her skin, ancient spells and seals covering her entire body. "Afraid?" the young woman questioned. "I am." Sweat rolled down the side of the Espada's face. "One who does not fear their power does not deserve to have it, for they cannot appreciate it; respect it. You do neither." Out of fear for his life, more eyes on Zommari's body opened, glowing purple. His mark appeared all over Katrien's body, yet no control was gained. "You are no match for the Third Eye."

        Forming another symbol with her fingers, Katrien began to speak in a different language. Something exploded from her body, creating a strong wind as it barreled towards the Espada. He was thrown backwards through the air, slamming into the ice. Acting quickly, the young woman moved her left hand, tracing a symbol on the opposite arm. The marking peeled off as if it were a sticker, before another one appeared in its place. Holding the symbol in hand Katrien stretched it over the palm before throwing it backwards towards Byakuya, Hanataro, and Rukia. It expanded to the ceiling and walls, cutting them off.

        "For protection," Katrien stated, watching as Zommari tried to compose himself. "I'm not so sure I can control everything I've learned, and I don't want to harm anyone I know." Without waiting for a reply, Katrien pulled off another symbol, the marking transforming into a broomstick.

        "And what do you plan on doing with that?" Zommari asked warily.

        Katrien smirked. "Something that will blow your mind."

        Explosions rocked the building as firebombs, lightning strikes, and water canon balls flew through the room. The half of the room that was not under a protection seal had been ripped clean off, various walls crumbling to the ground. Zommari was no match for Katrien and her magic, nearly half of his eyes having been taken out.

        "Come on!" Katrien yelled, flying around on her broomstick after him. "Is that all you've got?"

        Hanataro looked up from where he was healing Rukia, before following Byakuya's gaze to the fight. "Captain Kuchiki... who is she?"

        He took a few seconds before responding. "That is Katrien Kotetsu. You may remember the name from the Lieutenant of your Squad, and the Third Seat from Squad Thirteen. Former Lieutenant to the Four Division, and next in line for the position of Captain." A burst of flames shot through the air from the impact of Katrien's attack, her cutting right through them with ease. "She is not a Soul Reaper, but a Wiccan."

        "Enough!" Zommari roared, turning around. "I will show you what the true power of my Brujería is like!" All of his remaining eyes widened, slapping markings everywhere on Katrien's body. She froze in mid attack before keeling over to the side and slamming into the ground. The broomstick turned black once she fell from it, disappearing into dust.

        "Katrien!" Baykuya yelled, running forward, only to be stopped by the barrier.

        Her eyes were wide, staring at nothing in particular, making Zommari grin. He had won, feeling the control that coursed through her body. "You are mine to control."

        The Third Eye moved on its own, separate from hers. It rolled around for a few seconds before landing on Zommari, which caught him off guard. A smirk came to Katrien's lips. "You fell for it," she stated, only her lips didn't move. Instead, her voice echoed through the room. "I now have control over you." The barrier began to fall down. "Now, Byakuya!"

        The Captain released his zanpakuto, the blade disappearing into the floor. "Bankai," Byakuya stated. Multiple blades rose from the ground around Zommari before breaking off into small pink petals. "You said yourself that your eyes can only control one object at a time," the Captain pointed out. "And with nearly half of them disabled, the remaining few are all focused on Katrien." Zommari tried to pull them away, but there was a firm hold on his control.

        "You're not going anywhere," Katrien's voice broke it. "I see you, Espada, and my Third Eye is not letting go anytime soon."

        "It's useless anyway," Byakuya added. "There are hundreds of millions of swords covering this area alone. You told me earlier it was meanless to resist, that there was nothing I could do. I'm going to offer you the same advice now. Struggle as much as you'd like, but it's meanless to resist."

        "Damn it, no!" Zommari exclaimed, trying to move. "I'm in control! Do as I command!"

        "Senbonzakura Kageyoshi." With that the attack cut through the Espada, illuminating the room with a bright pink glow. The remains of the building exploded, crumbling into dust.

        When it disappeared, the protective seal that Katrien had sent throught the floor to cover Hanataro, Rukia, and herself began to vanish into thin air. Katrien breathed a sigh of relief, rolling onto her back. Closing her eyes the black markings created by Zommari disappeared from the skin. Even the Thrid Eye vanished.

        A shadow cast over Katrien's face, a small smile playing on her lips. "Well, well, it's nice to see you again..." Her eyes opened. "Byakuya. I must say you've grown quite a bit, as well as emotionless since the last time we saw each other. And you're a Captain. Very impressive. I told you you could do anything."

        "What are you doing here, Katrien?"

        A pout formed on her lips. "That's not very nice, Byakuya. I came all this way to help you, and you ask me a question such as that one."

        "You are a fool."

        "And you're still the little boy that I used to beat in chess all the time." A smile twitched at the corner of his mouth, Katrien grinning at the reaction. She sat up, turning to face him once more. "Look what you've done to yourself. You're covered in wounds. Sit down." He did not move. "Rukia, will be fine. I can tell Hanataro is a skilled healer. However, if you do not let me tend to those wounds you'll eventually bleed out." Finally, the Captain did as she directed. "Hey, Hanataro!" she called over to him. "Toss me my bag, will you?"

        "H-Here you go, Miss!" he exclaimed, throwing it through the air. The woman dug through the bag, searching its contents.

        "Now I know it's in here somewhere," Katrien muttered outloud to herself. "Ah ha!" She pulled out a bottle filled with blue liquid inside. "Found it." Unscrewing the cap, a strong fume came from it. "Now, this will speed up the regeneration process, so it will hurt. I only use this in cases such as this one when we need to rush off into another battle."

        Pulling up the left pant leg, Katrien let five drops drip onto the man's skin, the area sizzling in response. Byakuya hissed slightly, glaring at the liquid that caused pain to run through his leg. However, his eyes instantly widened watching as the muscles, tendons, and skin began to reshape, form, and heal in a matter of seconds.

        "What is in that?" he asked, Katrien scooting over and lifting the limp arm.

        The young woman grinned. "Oh, come now, Byakuya, haven't I told you already I never reveal my secrets?" She then dripped some of the potion onto the arm. "How do you feel?"

        The Captain made a fist, curling the fingers one by one, waiting to feel pain. However, none came. "Better."

        "That's good." Her gaze drifted over to Hanataro and Rukia. "You go on ahead. I know you're needed elsewhere." Their eyes locked. "I can help Hanataro heal Rukia faster so she can be moved. I'll catch up with you later."

        They stood, Byakuya starting to walk past her to leave. "Thank you," he spoke lowly in her ear.

        Katrien smirked. "I still have a duty to the Kuchiki Household," she stated. "I was never properly fired, after all."

        Now Byakuya couldn't fight the smirk that came to his lips.

        "How is she?" Katrien asked, sitting beside Hanataro.

        The young boy jumped in surprise before consentrating on Rukia once again. "She's healing, but there's been damage to her soul and nerves."

        "Hmm..." she mused, thinking of spells to speed the healing process.

        "M-Miss. Kotetsu, maybe you could give Miss. Rukia what you gave the Captain?"

        "Impossible," Katrien breathed. "That potion is only meant for open wounds because the liquid seeps into the cut and as far down as the wound goes into the skin. It would have no effect on Rukia's major injuries. You've probably also realized by now that I have no Spiritual Pressure." Hanataro bowed his head for being caught. "You are a very strong healer, and I can tell you've realized something as obvious right now. However, I know many Soul Reapers who would look over this without a second thought. What seat are you?"

        "S-Seventh, Miss."

        "Hn," Katrien scoffed. "You should be a Third Seat." Scooting towards Rukia, the woman put the Soul Reaper's head in her lap. "Now then. Let's see what I can do to heal her brain functions." A bright blue glow emitted from the Witch's hands, sending pulsating waves through the skin.

        This went on for a half hour before Rukia's eyes fluttered open. "Oh, good," Katrien spoke with a smile, removing her hands. "You're finally awake." Hanataro grinned, coming into view.

        "Hanataro?" Rukia questioned, looking at the ex-Lieutenant in confusion for not recognizing her. "What are you doing here?"

        "The Head Captain assigned some of us to come to Hueco Mundo and aid everyone who crossed over already," Hanataro answered.

        "There's quite a lot of you, actually," Katrien said, nodding. She sat back, arms crossed. "Four Captains, two Lieutenants, and Hanataro."

        "You can sense all of that?"

        She nodded. "Everyone is receiving assistance, so you should not worry about your friends, Rukia."

        "Who are you?"

        Katrien smiled. "How rude of me, I never properly introduced myself. My name is Katrien Kotetsu, ex-Lieutenant of the Fourth Division. You may remember me as Roxanne the Fortune Teller."

        "You...? You're the one that gave Ichigo and I the bracelets."

        The Witch sighed. "Yes, and it is such a pity that they were both brutally destroyed."

        Rukia blushed, remembering that the item had fallen off during her battle with the Ninth Espada. "I'm sorry."

        Katrien waved it off. "I'm just surprised it lasted for this long. You've been battling some strong opponents." Looking off into the distance, she searched for the various Spiritual Pressures. "Your brother, Byakuya is here as well."

        Rukia's eyes widened. "My... brother is here?"

        "Yes, he came to your rescue before another Espada could kill you off, hence the destroyed building."

        "You helped as well!" Hanataro spoke up, waving his arms around. "It was amazing, Miss. Rukia! You should've seen them! What an amazing display of power!"

        Katrien chuckled. "You are too kind, Hanataro."

        He continued, "She even healed Captain Kuchiki from his injuries with such speed it was amazing! For a Soul Reper your powers are well over the level of a Captain."

        Katrien cocked an eyebrow. "You think I'm a Soul Reaper?" The two looked back at her in confusion.

        "Well... I thought..."

        "You can't be a Soul Reaper if you have no Spiritual Pressure."

        "But... you said you were a Lieutenant in my Squad."

        "I was only posing as a Soul Reaper. I'm what you might call a 'Witch'."

        "A Witch?" Hanataro whispered, slightly paling. Now he knew why the Captain had said, 'Wiccan'.

        Katrien nodded.

        Rukia spoke up; a question had been nagging at her for a while. "You... healed my brother?" she questioned.

        The ex-Lieutenant sighed in annoyance. "The damned idiot cut his own limbs so he wouldn't become a puppet. He really did a number on himself this time."

        Rukia watched Katrien's expression, listening to how the woman talked about her brother. "Miss. Kotetsu... have you... do you know my brother?"

        "Huh?" she asking, looking over at Rukia. A smile appeared on her face. "You could say that once upon a time I was the head healer in the Kuchiki Household." Both Soul Reapers' eyes widened. "It happened when I looked after Byakuya when he was sick one winter. Captain Ginrei Kuchiki approached and asked if I would want the position. I knew Byakuya well before the Vizards came into being, forcing myself into hiding as well."

        "Where is Byakuya now?"

        "Somewhere. Probably looking for another Espada to kill. Anyway, we should be on our way as well. Shall we go?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.8K 1.5K 27
Kina Mushiora is a soul reaper who is the third seat of squad 10. Her captain is Toshiro Hitsugaya and she doesn't really mind him that much (maybe b...
19.5K 343 28
Kuchiki Byakuya descends from one of the four great noble families of Soul Society, the 28th head of the noble Kuchiki clan and as such he is the emb...
502 25 9
You are the sole daughter of Byakuya Kuchiki, the sole heir to a noble family. Your father has broken from tradition with his refusal to marry you of...
17.2K 422 23
Not much is know about captain Mayuri past and his long lost little sister. What will Mayuri do when he finds his beloved sister and once again have...