Tantalizing Hopes

By TheTemporaryWayfarer

She whirls around like a breath of fresh air Spreading smiles to all those around! She is witty and also comm... More

Author's Note
Epigraph
Prologue
1. The Unsteady Hunt
2. The Language Of Silence
3. Stages Of Life
4. He Has His Reasons
6. Blunt Refusal
7. Swirling Emotions
8. In A New Light
9. Paving Paths
10. Diverging Roads Maybe?
11. Clearing Clouds
12. First Few Drops Of Rain

5. Choices

2.5K 321 258
By TheTemporaryWayfarer

And seek help through patience and prayer, and indeed, it is difficult except for the humbly submissive (to Allah). Who are certain that they will meet their Lord and that they will return to Him.

[ Al Baqarah : 44 - 45 ]

🗞🗞🗞🗞🗞

Ibrahim wanted to smack himself. What had he been thinking? Barging into the women's section without making his arrival known to anybody who could have been in there was so not him. Agreed that it was minutes past all the women had filed out, agreed that the female volunteer had had an emergency and rushed home the minute the program had gotten over, agreed that he had had to see that everything was in place and lock up the room after everyone left but what he had done was so very unacceptable to him. The girl looked genuinely upset and he felt as though it was something to do with the spiritual aspect of her life. Either way, she seemed vulnerable, oh so vulnerable with tears streaming down her eyes.

It felt too personal a moment to have been intruded upon.

He knew for a fact that if anyone else had barged into a room Eshaal had been weeping or having a moment in, he would have had a few choice words to be said to the person. He had always prided himself in treating women the way he wanted his sister to be treated. And today he had just gone ahead and made a fool of himself by seeing a sister in Islam at her most vulnerable moment. It felt a bit too intimate.

Ibrahim shook his head and pressed his back to the wall next to the door.

Not impressive Ibrahim, not at all impressive.

The door to the women's section flew open right then and he pushed himself further into the wall, not wanting to face the girl again. His eyes were cast down and stayed that way until he was sure she had exited and gone down the stairs.

Puffing out air from his mouth, he entered into the women's section again, saw to all the necessary things and walked out, locking the door behind him this time.

Tanvir raised a brow at him in question when he walked into the male's section. He shook his head in denial. Some brothers he had come to know even asked him if he was okay commenting on how pale he looked all of a sudden and Ibrahim brushed it all off saying everything was alright. Only deep down he knew not everything was. For some it wouldn't have been this disturbing but for him, those tears cascading down those cheeks and the way the girl had been sitting there looking forlorn just didn't settle well with him. He almost wanted to something about. Almost.

------

Ibrahim knew his parents had not really complied to his wish. The search for a daughter-in-law was still on, their mission in no way abandoned. They pretended to have given up after he had told them he needed time to put off some steam, that they did but he could clearly hear them conversing in whispers now and then or hear them making phone calls. Their act was not very convincing for a guy his age. Ibrahim had to try hard to not laugh out aloud whenever his parents did things like that. It was funny how they tried to keep it all away from him. Sometimes his urge to smile and comment on their acts was too strong to be ignored.

It was not the same as his parents trying to convince him when he was a kid. He was grown now, already having a kid as his niece, a very beautiful and smart kid at that who had well, obviously taken after him. His parents just had to understand that but they chose not to and he let them do as they please so long as they didn't make him undergo anymore scrutiny.

There were issues that needed solving and there were issues that he didn't want to face, not now anyway. He needed a huge amount of patience and tactics as well as the ability to make people understand where he was coming from and those were things he was still trying to inculcate. He had already undergone a few ridiculous meetings with the girls' wali and they had ended disastrously for his liking. The thought of having a few more or Allah knows how many more of them left a bitter taste in his mouth.

But Ibrahim did survive it all, mostly by pretending that the obvious question and the impending meeting with someone or the other was not looming above his head. By now the talk that he was wanting to get married had spread like forest fire all around his extended family and almost every other day there was someone ringing them up.

The matter never reached him though, his parents had taken to sieveing out the proposals so he didn't get to face the likes of people who with their silly notions drove him insane.

For some reason, Ibrahim knew none of those callers would be successful so he let them be without making a scene about them. One day however when he had reached home after hanging out with a few friends he found a distant relative, Hameed by name seated with his father, talking and laughing about something.

Ibrahim wished them warmly and tried to leave to freshen up when the relative asked him to sit down saying he was already late and had to leave in a few minutes.

"I was waiting to for you so long", he began. "Your father said your phone was unreachable."

"Yeah that huh, my battery died."

"It's okay beta. I could have met your father and left but I was waiting for you so I could broach the topic."

"About uncle?" Ibrahim queried.

"As you know beta... my family has settled abroad Alhamdulillah - the four of us, my wife and my two kids. All is going well Alhamdulillah with our hotel business booming. My son has taken to managing the place and my daughter has completed her masters. We've been searching someone for her for so long and no one has met out standards. Either the language stood in our way or the ethnicity or sometimes the community. Aside from that I was not able to trust anyone with my precious daughter. I love her and unlike many other parents I love her a little more than my son." He laughed and Ibrahim too smiled awkwardly. From his peripheral vision he noticed that his father was doing the same.

Why is this guy telling me all this? Don't tell me...

"I met your Irfan uncle the other day and he was telling me your family is on the lookout too. I spoke to your father and your father is okay with it all. He said it's left to you to decide what you want. So what do you say now? Shall I prepare for a meeting or do you want to see her picture first?"

Ibrahim was caught now. His father had not told him anything about the proposal. Had he been told, he woupd have been prepared and wouldn't have been this surprised but he was and they were asking him for an answer right away.

Before Ibrahim could decide on what to say, Hameed spoke again. "There is this thing though. I have brought up my daughter in a very loving manner, not that she is arrogant or spoilt, just that she has been used to living a lavish lifestyle. I've stroven to give her the best of everything and she's been grateful for all that she has all her life. However", he paused and Ibrahim knew that there was a clause.

"She is used to life at the Gulf and is unable to adjust here in India. She is not comfortable about staying here for long and I'm not comfortable about letting my daughter stay in a different house. You might have to move in with us and find a job there later on. That is if you are okay with the proposal."

Ibrahim had to fight against himself to not give a harsh reply. He had finally figured what his father had been trying to do by not telling him anything. He had given him an option in life - either to stay or walk away.

What had he been thinking about me?

Of course he wanted to get married but not at the cost of his parents' lives. Not now, not ever. He'd rather remain a bachelor all his life.

"Uncle", he began choosing his words carefully, "I understand that you want the best for your daughter and I'm honoured that you think of me responsible and trustworthy enough but you see -my father and mother- my parents, they've dedicated their entire lives in bringing up my sister and me. Years ago, my father had close to nothing when he chose to come to Chennai and he had nothing but my mother to support him when he decided to start his work and stay here. As you know we've never been this well of in the first place. My parents had had their share of struggle in bringing us up. My father has worked hard all these years just so he could be able to own a house of his own. He has spent his all in educating me and my sister in the best institutions despite his financial struggle. Up until now, he has saved nothing for himself. My parents have given their all in bringing us up. They've done all they can, all they could and now when they've retired and it's my turn to look after them, I think it would be utterly selfish and cowardly of me to leave them and walk away. I'm sorry uncle but no amount of cheques I send back home, no number of hours I spend talking to them on phone or texting them - none of it would equate my staying with them. I pray that your daughter finds someone much better than me but leaving my parents is just out of the option."

Hameed stated at him, his face impassive. He opened his mouth seeming to want to say something but then decided against it. He nodded at Ibrahim and his father, wished them and congratulated his mother on raising a good son before walking out of the house.

As soon as the door shut behind him, Ibrahim turned to look at his parents with disappointment. "So this is what you think of me?"

"Ibrahim-", his mother started but he shook his head at her.

"There is no excuse for it ma. There is no excuse for what you people tried to do. Please don't talk about anything for now."

His parents kept quiet and he retreated into his room for the day, the sour mood left no room for anything else. He fiddled with his phone, threw his clothes outside his wardrobe and rearranged them, checked his mail on his computer and repeated the cycle again. His head was in a mess.

Evening came and Eshaal's little family arrived with a bag full of Taskeen's belongings. He dragged himself out of his room and into the living room wanting to see the little one's face. Sure enough as soon as Taskeen saw him, she struggled out of her mother's grasp wanting to get into the arms of her favourite uncle.

Ibrahim smiled genuinely, his heart feeling light already. "My pwincess", he cooed kissing her cheeks and tickling her. She let out a cute little screech and jumped making them all smile.

He perched her on his hands and looked at Tanvir who was speaking to his father. Eshaal had disappeared somewhere inside the house and his mother was seated beside his father listening to what Tanvir had to say.

"Sup?", shot Ibrahim taking a seat beside him. "I see bags and all. Brought them for me?" He smirked.

Tanvir nodded playfully. "Take them bro. All nappies and baby clothes. I'm sure you can find a use for them. And I think there's a teether too. Very effective if you're developing teeth."

Ibrahim made a face. "Very funny."

"So when will this work be getting over beta?", cut in Ibrahim's father and Tanvir straightened up turning to face him.

"I'm not sure uncle. A day or two at the most maximum. It wouldn't have been an issue but given my subordinate who actually had to go for it is pacing outside his wife's labour room, I thought of relieving him and going there myself. His words were jumbled and he was freaking out when he rang me up. It's the least I could do for him."

"Keep doing good works beta, may Allah bless you."

"Ameen."

"May Allah bless your gorgeous daughter who has taken after her uncle. Ameen", quipped in Ibrahim and Tanvir laughed.

"Ameen for that too. Uncle or no uncle, she is my kid bro."

"We'll ask her that when she's able to speak for herself. She's mine."

Tanvir smiled at that and then rose from his seat. "It's time I leave." Taskeen picked on what was happening and was starting to make a fuss when Ibrahim hurled her in the air and caught her. Muttering gibberish, he put her on his shoulder and skipped to his room hearing her laugh at the way he was handling her.

An hour had passed since he had abducted the cute little pie to his room. She had settled comfortably on his bed throwing his things around and fidgeting his drawer while he talked to her in baby language when Eshaal walked in. She clicked her tongue in annoyance. "You're spoiling her."

"How so?"

"By letting her do all these things."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Taskeen", Ibrahim called out. The little one paused in throwing a hairbrush out of his drawer and turned around looking as if she was asking him what he wanted.

"Mumma or me?" Ibrahim asked her pointing at himself and his sister. "Mum-ma or me?"

She gave him a toothless chuckle before launching herself at him.

Eshaal rolled her eyes and Ibrahim gave her a thumbs down. "My pwinncess wants me, not you. I win, you lose. He ha ha ha."

"Whatever, listen."

"Say", he blew raspberries on Taskeen's stomach. "I'm listening."

"Drop me at the park."

"Why?"

"What do you mean why? Why do people go to the park?"

"I don't know why, you tell me."

"Bhai listen. I heard what mum had to say. I agree they shouldn't have done that without asking you first but please drop me at the park for now. Give it a few hours for everything to cool down. I'd speak to them and then speak to you. It won't do well to speak about it now."

"Says the problem solver."

"You have no other alternative."

"I want to spend more time with Taskeen."

"She isn't going to go anywhere until Tanvir comes back."

"But you want me to drop you at the park. With her."

"Bhai", she huffed. "Don't be so annoying."

"Okay fine. Give me two minutes I'd get the bike keys."

"Carry her and come downstairs. I'd go put on my abaya."

Ibrahim hummed swooping the babe in one hand and rummaging his drawer in the other. She poked at his cheek and he made a face at her sending her into a fit of laugher.

"Mama. Say mama."

"Ma." She looked at him.

"Mama."

"Ba."

"Mama."

"Ma."

"No baby, ma is your mother. Say mama. I'm your mama. Your uncle. Say mama.

Her lips curved downwards. "Ma."

"Mama."

Her lips started to wobble now. "Ma."

He deflated. "Yes baby, you got it right. Everyone clap for our champ." He shifted her to a side and started clapping and she soon joined in, giggling and muttering indecipherable words as always.

Eshaal called out to him from the first storey and he answered her, swiftly descending the stairs. "Coming chotu, don't yell your lungs out."

He grabbed two helmets and gave one to her and put on one himself before starting the ignition and driving his bike to the park.

Two minutes later, Eshaal poked him from her place behind him on his bike.

"What?", he asked increasing his volume a bit for her to be able to hear him.

"Ifeel likevomitting." She spoke against the wind, her niqaab fluttering on her face.

"What?"

"Vommeit." Again he wasn't able to hear her.

"Huh?"

"Nottthing", she yelled this time, "it went away."

"What went away?"

"Just drive bhai."

Ibrahim shook his head and concentrated on the road.

Soon enough they reached the park and Eshaal got down, adjusting her handbag on one shoulder and settling Taskeen on her hips.

Ibrahim was about to follow suit when a guard blew his whistle. "Two wheeler parking has been shifted there", he gestured to a cluster of trees. "Please go there and park your vehicle."

Ibrahim motioned for Eshaal to go on in. "I'd come in after I park my bike."

She replied in the affirmative and went inside. Some time later when Ibrahim had found a suitable place to park his bike, paid the parking fee and ventured into the place he had expected his sister to be in, he wasn't able to find her there. He spun around expecting her to be somewhere close by but she was not to be seen. He rounded a tree and grew a bit relieved when he saw Taskeen's face popping out but the relief was short lived when he noticed that the woman having his niece and his sister's handbag was definitely not his sister.

He sprinted towards the woman, calling out to her. "Hey, hey you! Hey!"

When he was a few yards away from her, the woman turned around to face him realising he was calling out to her and not someone else. He almost lost his footing when he saw the face. He stood there for a split second stupefied, the shock never leaving his face. Taskeen chuckled as she stuffed the toy she had in her mouth and his eyes fell upon her. Her sister's bag, her sister's child with a toy in hand nonetheless.

Who is this woman? She doesn't look like a part of any kidnapping gang.

Laughter filled the air a moment later and Eshaal came into view. She looked at someone else and for the first time, Ibrahim noticed another woman sitting by the tree with a toddler who was standing next to her. He had the same kind of toy like the one Taskeen had.

Things started falling into place in his muddled head. Eshaal's laughter grew louder. He scratched his neck awkwardly and then abruptly turned around. "Give me a call when you want me to pick you up Eshaal."

And then he was gone.

🗞🗞🗞🗞🗞

Glossary:

💦chotu : little one.

💦mama : mother's brother in Urdu and Hindi.

🗞🗞🗞🗞🗞

Questions questions and more questions!

🎯 Eid Mubarak my dearies. How was your Eid? And how is your Eidi? 😉 All well spent I guess😆😁

🎯 On a serious note though, did you really repair your relationship with Him?

🎯 How did you find your Eid gift? I'm talking about the update obviously 😄

🎯 If only I could find a brother or at least an uncle like our Ibrahim... Speaking of which, do you have any ship names for protagonists? Shoot em peeps.

🎯 I find their hesitance and distance cute. Do you?

🎯 Also do you think Ibrahim did right by rejecting the proposal without even meeting the girl?

🎯 If you had a situation with an extremist, what would you do?

🎯 Are you still reading the questions and not answering them? 😜

🗞🗞🗞🗞🗞

My dear peeps, there are things happening in my life and I need all the dua I could. Could you please pray for my endeavour to be a success and for me to stay away from all the nasty people? Pretty please?

I would love you if you do!

See ya! Assalamu alaikum warahmathullahi wabarakatuhu!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

816K 35.6K 52
{Book One: Abdallah series} "I'm sorry jawad" I stammered feeling his warm breath fanning my face, and his dark eyes boring into mine, with hate evid...
17.1M 353K 78
As a Muslim girl, marriage is one of Safia's biggest dreams. All her life she kept herself pure for her faith and her future husband. Although having...
4.1K 838 28
Yasmine is a star girl, with plans for the future, good grades and a boyfriend to top it up but how can she survive when her enemies are her family...
36.4K 5.1K 38
Sisters torn apart by the fragility of the heart, how can love possibly hurt so much? Hana Junaid decided two years ago, distance would make her youn...