Crimson Murders

By Melancholic_Lotus13

Being able to see things no one has ever, is not great. Izuku-a boy who just wants to live a normal life and... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Epilogue
Sequel is out + Pictures

Chapter Two

7.9K 321 264
By Melancholic_Lotus13

So, someone pointed out that it's unclear of Izuku's ability. That will all come into a huge puzzle later in chapter 4? I believe. This is going to be really weird written. I'm doing a lot of research with this. Tell me if y'all like Death in general and want to see more of them in this story. 

All Might has been chasing the villain for a while now. He releases a string of curses when he notices the villain go for a kid. Just as he was about to attack, he watches as the kid claws at the eyes of the villain and gets thrown to the side as a result. Taking the opportunity, the hero quickly captures the villain and turns toward the plain looking boy who is now unconscious. Slowly, All Might makes his way over to him and starts softly smacking him to wake him up. While doing this, he takes in the features of the kid. Quite plain looking. Something about the boy, something is off. Green hair tousled, eyes hidden behind skewed glasses, freckles on his pale—too pale—face. Does he get any sunlight? There's a scar on his lip as if he had gotten cut there a long time ago. A burnt spot on his shoulder—where did he get that? It's recent, very much concerning. Blood on his hand from where he had clawed out one eye, and on his wrist, there's a red patch of skin and a tattoo. The way it looks, it seems to be a recent tattoo. "Hey, kid. Hey, wake up! Hey."

  Eyebrows furrow and soon a small groan passes through his lips. "What? Oh, no," he whispers, sitting up and standing up in a rush, almost having knocked over the pro-hero. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry. I—um, thank you for saving me." He looks at the hero and his eyes widen, eyebrows rising a little bit behind the spectacles. He grabs his bag and looks around for his notebook. "All Mi-Might, thank you! I appreciate your help—and—uh, um. I have a question, one that won't take too long!"

Blue eyes stare at the kid, glancing down at the reddened wrist then up at the burnt shoulder. His attention is caught by the notebook in the kid's hand. Death Analysis. What is this kid doing with something like that? Another question. Never has he met someone that brings up so many questions like this teenager, so who was this kid? He knows he needs to leave, but this kid looks desperate to know something. He doesn't have much time left but the kid looks honest. "One question."

  Surprise overtakes Izuku's body at the agreement of answering a question from a civilian. Maybe that's just how All Might is? Probably. He isn't going to have high hopes on that. "Can I still—still become a he-hero without—without a quirk?" Thanks, Death, I've got your stuttering. He won't admit that he always stutters.

For as long as he can remember, he's always been told no. He's always a huge fan of heroes but he's slowly calmed down, pushing past those emotions and trying to be a hero along with figuring out a way to get Death to choose a different Champion and leave him alone. He never had too much time to even fanboy over them, too wrapped up with so many things to worry about. He always ignores the Ghouls, always makes sure to stay away from them and is always trying to get things organized. He's always wanted to be a hero, ignoring those doubters like he'd ignore the monsters. He taught himself to fight before getting accepted into taking classes at a Taekwondo place. He convinced his mother it was for self-defense—a matter of truth. He always does his best to keep a few people safe, interrupting their suicide attempts and sometimes murder attempts. He finds a way to keep them from walking into traps and always accompanies them if he knows a good excuse to. If he's too late, he calls the police and gives a statement—sometimes lying. If he can't be a hero like All Might, he may have a backup plan for himself.

Even with this plan, even with an idea in mind, even with the fact it's happened so many times, he can't help the utter agony that blooms in his chest when All Might speaks, "The work of a hero is a dangerous one. I've been hurt many times and I have a quirk, so if that can happen to me, you might not be so lucky. So, no. I don't think you can become a hero." Hypocrite! "I'm sorry, kid. If you want to help save lives, maybe you should just become a police officer. They may be teased because the villain is usually left on their doorstep, but it's a good profession."

  A single tear slides down his face and he nods. Izuku Midoriya's dreams are crushed by his favorite hero. Oh, how hilarious! This is just amazing! Life is cruel! Crueler than Death itself! He bows and thanks him before walking past the Symbol of Peace. Abruptly, a rancid smell drifts into his nose, and upon glancing to both sides, he finds the source. Midoriya lets out a startled scream. He places a hand over his mouth as he gawks with horror not having seen anything like this before. His scream must've alerted the pro-hero for he comes up behind him and finds a corpse. It's a few days old from the discolored face—or he would've seen the discoloration if there was any flesh left, the green and purple bruise-like coloring on the body on the body. Mutilation. Burns. The corpse is mangled and mutilated, the throat slashed—which Izuku guessed must've been what finally did the job. It's so obvious how the killer tortured their victim. It was—it's so sickening. Their eyes rise at the same time to see what's on the wall. Words are written in a brownish-red liquid and they're written in English. The teenager isn't fluent enough in the language, but he knows enough to understand. I WAS BORN WITH THE DEVIL IN ME. —H.H. Holmes.

  H.H. Holmes? But he's an American serial killer from centuries ago. Maybe a copycat? Maybe. But no, maybe it's just— His thoughts are cut off when he is suddenly grabbed by All Might and turned away from the corpse. It's too late but it doesn't matter to the hero. Izuku gently pulls away and calls the police as he stares at the wall away from the scene. He has done this a lot, but never days after a murder, always on the same day when the murders occur. Ah, I can see why I'm thought of as a psycho. The hero doesn't leave—a mistake since his time is up unaware that Izuku's glancing over his shoulder, looking to the scene where the dead body lies and is explaining to the operator of the situation. He was staring at the hero when he notices the transformation. Midoriya gapes for a moment before fully turning towards All Might. He thanks the operator and hanging up. "You should get going. Get the villain to the station, it'll be less suspicious."

  Toshinori stares at him with surprise, unsure on how to take this. The boy barely even blinked at the sudden revelation and seems to be engrossed in the revolting scene before him. That's really concerning, he can't help but think. He's crouched down, eyes skimming over everything while staying a certain distance away as to not tamper with the crime scene. "You shouldn't be doing that," Yagi tells him, moving to get him away. "You should go, this isn't a place for a teenager to be around."

"I'm more worried about the villain. You should get him to the station. After all, if he gets loose, then it'll be bad. You don't want that to happen, right?" Izuku stares at his favorite hero, indifference in his voice. He just doesn't seem to care about anything. Like he doesn't care that there's a dead body in front of him. "You're a hero. You save lives, not the dead. You can't save the dead. So I'll be fine here, nothing will happen. After all, the police are here."

Toshinori jumps at the sudden sound of the sirens. He stares at the teenager with eyebrows raised. Just who was this kid? How does he handle all this in a manner that only police and crime investigators handle these situations? He can't wrap his head around this, wondering if the kid might've done this before and if so, why? "It's fine, I'll just hand it into a good friend of mine," he says as the cop car pulls in with an ambulance. A van comes up labeled Crime Scene Investigators and a few people come out, attending to the scene of the murder.

  Yagi notices his best friend, Detective Tsukauchi, come forth to greet them with a grim smile. Something about his gaze lingering on the green-haired teen gives an off vibe, almost suspicion. Toshinori wonders if he believes that the boy has anything to do with this. "It's nice to see you again, young Midoriya. What have you brought to our attention this time?" This time? Has the kid really done this before? Dark eyes slide over to Toshinori, his best friend, with a questioning expression before getting closer to the body. He reads the quote and nods, looking over to where Midoriya points to. The frown is prominent as he moves forward, donning on some latex gloves and grabbing what he saw. Eyes are blown wide when he realizes what it is. A portrait painted with the blood of the victim. On the back, Naomasa reads aloud to his coworkers, "'This world is full of evil, and shall I say this: apart of that evil I am, being nothing in a world full of hope—take that hope and squash it shall I. May this be a message. Crimson Artist.' This is . . . I don't know how to even process this," he whispers with wide eyes, his attention never leaving the painting—the bloody painting.

"It was nice seeing you again, Detective, but I should get going. Do you need to know anything else or am I clear to leave?" Izuku bows slightly upon receiving an answer and thanking him. He leaves the scene of the crime but not before giving the number one hero a glance and a smile over his shoulder with a small wave. His glasses slip down the bridge of his nose and before he can move it up; he sees a woman with a Death Shadow hanging off her. He quickly moves and discretely brushes his hand over the shadow, getting enveloped into the premature death. He sighs, seeing what is going to happen and not be able to stop it. She's sick. Just like the woman from a few years back. He pushes up the spectacles and resumes his pace.

A car honking reaches his ears and he finds himself moving forward, grabbing the child—who had walked into the road—and running to safety. "Are you okay?" he asks hurriedly, staring at her through the dark lenses. He's so small, barely even four, and is sobbing in fear. He hums and rocks him, glancing around for the boy's mother and discovers the skeletal figure of All Might gawking at him with an unreadable expression. He ignores him when he finds the woman sobbing in relief and walking over towards them. She profusely thanks him for saving and all he can respond with is a series of stuttering and blushing. He explains that he didn't think and just felt his body move on its own, and he's happy that it happened and he's happy that the boy—Rin—is safe.

  As Izuku makes his way home, he is stopped by All Might. It's a secluded area and there are no cameras around—good. All Might fidgets as he stares down at the teen, who risked his life to save a child, the same teen who also just so happened to be able to handle finding a corpse with a calm, cool head. He had overheard the conversation with the mother of Rin. He heard and can see the potential in this kid. "You asked me if it's possible to become a hero quirkless, and—"

"And I can't," Izuku interrupts, blinking at him before settling with inclining his head to the side. He knows this is rude, but he doesn't want to be reminded. Because if he's reminded of not being able to be a hero, he's reminded of walking past him and seeing the two to five-day corpse, then he's reminded of that awful message. A message and he'll be doing research. H.H. Holmes. Crimson Artist. "I know, so are we done here?" He keeps his tone gentle and low.

Shame is in those sunken blue orbs and Izuku wonders what he said wrong. "No, my boy. I was wanting to tell you that I saw you save that child." The red that spread across his cheeks goes out of the older man's view as he lowers his head, his chin against his chest. "I overheard your conversation with the mother, you moved before you knew what you were thinking—yes?" A small nod. "Listen, Young Midoriya, many heroes that I've met always have the same thing: their bodies move before their mind." He falls into a small speech, but the thing that sticks to Izuku is the last few moments. Soon he is being told that he can be a hero. A few tears come out but he keeps the rest at bay. For so long he's been called a cursed child, a freak, always told that he'll never make it as a hero, and now, now he can. He accepts the offer and is told to meet at the beach. There, he will start training to become the ninth wielder of One For All.

* * *

In his room, stands Death. The cloak is gone now and is wearing a maroon dress that's in tatters. A scythe strapped to her skeletal back. Pieces of flesh hang from under her sockets, strings of white hair frame the decaying skull. Death's female form is one of the worst to ever lay eyes on, showing the decomposed-corpse-like body. She holds up two bony fingers. "Two chances. Call Death's name. Ac-cept when Death a-rrives." That is all that is said by the time she leaves, taking with her the cold and the stench of rotting flesh.

Izuku stares a little longer at the spot where Death once stood and sighs softly. He scratches at his wrist, heading into the bathroom to shower and cleanse away all the bad vibes he's been feeling all day. It didn't help when his mom found out about what had happened. Tsukauchi had called her and she was worried about him when he came home, having to explain to her that he was fine. "You know how it is. If I don't become a hero, I can always become a crime researcher, Mom."

  She wasn't all too keen on that idea. Her voice rose with worry and panic at the mere thought of her son being around corpses. "But do you really have to get so wrapped up with these things? You're only fourteen! You see these . . . these Ghouls! Everyday. I don't want you to continue seeing corpses for a profession. Can't you, I don't know, pick another, please?"

He knows she means well, but it's the best he can ever think of. His being a champion of Death might be helpful later in the future. Maybe. He isn't sure. Cursed child! He killed my wife! Maybe not. He might get someone killed. Wait, he can't think like that. He can't not with the fact that he's going to become a hero.

  And he stops thinking that way. He puts his efforts into researching more about the American Ripper H.H. Holmes and about his murders. Along with it, he researched American serial killers from centuries prior, thinking of why the Crimson Artist was using one of their quotes. It sickened him reading the terrible evils that many of them did. He reads about the Zodiac Killer, coming up with theories on them—writing it down in another journal for later. He wants to look more into the case of the recent murder but they have yet to make it public. "This sucks," he mutters as he gets off his bed when he realizes it's five in the morning. He has to get to the beach that All Might told him to go. He packs a small backpack with a few of his journals and water with snacks for breaks he might get. He grabs a hand towel and sets off after writing a note to his mom.

  "Toshinori-san!" he shouts upon seeing the skeleton of a man. He waves and smiles widely at him as he comes to a stop, pushing up his sunglasses to keep them from revealing his eyes. I should tell him about my curse, but not right now. "Good morning, how have you been?"

  "I'm okay," he says, coughing up blood. He stops when Midoriya hands him the towel. A tight smile on the younger male's face, one that he can't think to place. Why does he look like that? "Thank you." He makes a small noise upon noticing the sunglasses adorning the pale freckled face. "Why are you wearing sunglasses at the break of dawn?"

  "Oh," he says, swallowing. I should tell him. "Light sensitivity." But not yet. Fortunately, Yagi buys the lie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

631 74 13
What if several tragic events meet in quick succession and drive the boy to the brink? A broken dream in early childhood Losing your best friend to r...
75K 3.3K 18
Izuku Midoriya was bullied all his life. He was quirkless and there was nothing he could do. It was simply the fate of quirkless kids to die young. "...
102K 4K 23
//DISCONTINUED. Sorry.// ma·ni·a ˈmānēə/ noun an excessive enthusiasm or desire; an obsession ---------------------- #1 in Insane Deku 12/23/18 #1 in...
95.1K 3.3K 31
"Do you have likes or dislikes?" The boy asks, trailing beside me. "Not really." I mumble. Midoriya stopped writing in his book a while ago. Now he's...