Once upon a Princess (Atypica...

By siesie_19

If you've come expecting a fairytale about Prince Charming, Fairy Godmothers, and evil parents; You may look... More

A/N (VERY IMPORTANT)!!!! SERIOUSLY!
CAST
1. Sister,Sister
2.Bump in the road
3. Good Samaritans
4. Adjusting
5. Hartley Household
6. Princess and the Hunter
7. Nice to Meet You
8. Swing-Sets and Skills
9. Me.
10. Truth or..?
11. Books Before Boys
12. All the Right Moves
13. Not a Party till the Princess shows up
14. Hangovers and Realizations
15. Tangled?
16. But... I can't
17. A familiar face
18. Judas
19. Missing Piece
20. Back to Square one
22. Birthday Celebrations 1.1
23. Birthday Celebrations 1.2
24. Birthday Celebrations 1.3
25. Birthday Celebrations 1.4
26. Can I get a refund?
27. Am I a Monster?
28. The First Stage
29. The Accomplice
30. My Achilles Heel
31. Crash and Burn?
32. I don't have a horse
33. Bee-moon?
34. Welcome Back 1.1
35.Welcome Back 1.2
36. Starting to look a lot like Christmas
37. It's Christmas!
38. The Runaways
39. Lock me up
40. I Promise
EPILOGUE
Bonus (1)
Bonus (2)
A/N

21. Let Bygones be Bygones

349 48 91
By siesie_19

ALEXA

"I have to attend a meeting with the King of Yurin in five minutes. What do you want?"

I spun around in the ergonomic chair like a crazed little girl and intentionally ignored his question .

After a few minutes of spinning, he snapped and I was grateful for it because I was beginning to get dizzy but I wanted to have the upper hand.

"Can you stop acting like a five year old? What do you want Alexandria?"

I halted by slapping my hands unto the table and the sound made my father flinch.

I internally snickered at that.

" Just came to say hey."

His eyes were still trained on the paperwork before him but his brows rose in question.

"You know... considering I've been back for nearly a week and I haven't seen you since. This is actually the first time I've seen you in over a month."

He rose his head briefly and gave me a forced smile, "Nice to see you Alexandria."

I gritted my teeth and tried my best to keep my cool.
I pasted a grin unto my face that I knew would provoke him.

"So! How are you?"

He gestured to his pile of papers on his desk.
"Lots of meetings and negotiations."

"Ah. Yes I see, but how are you?"

"I just answered-"

I let out a frustrated sigh and he finally lifted his gaze from the papers to survey me.

"Father... did you even miss me at all? Are you even glad that I'm back?"

He blinked.

"Of course I'm elated that you're back."

My provoking smile slid off my face as a gasp escaped my lips.

I was convinced that when I returned to the palace, it was through a different dimension.

First Graham and now Father.

"I-"

He cut me off when he continued to speak, "You being gone caused too many negative publicity. Plus there was a decrease in guards and all that money that Isabelle was demanding we use for the ransom. It grew higher and higher each week."

He shuddered as his dark eyes narrowed at the desk before him.

My stomach sank.
Any hope of my father possibly being... fatherly, was thrown out the window.

"Wow," I muttered, "Poor you huh?"

A smug smile tugged at his lips, "It's not easy you know... having the whole country on your shoulders. It's a very demanding task."

He shrugged before continuing, "But it's my duty."

I narrowed my eyes in irritation as my self-control began to wear off.
"It's your duty to be a father also but you pretty much failed at that a long time ago."

His eyes snapped in my direction so quickly that I flinched.
"What?"

I stared back into his cold eyes and pressed my lips into a straight line.
"You heard me. Always the kingdom this, the kingdom that, it's never about your personal life. You weren't born on Celayise's throne you know?"

His intense glare should have made me squirm but it didn't. I've grown accustomed, I was never one to let anyone intimidate me. I was no pushover.

He sat back and a small smile appeared on his lips. A chill rippled through my body at the sight and I knew that this wasn't good.

"Let's just put all that disrespect that just happened aside..."

I spun in the chair once again to provoke him although my queasy stomach protested, "You call it disrespect, I call it the cold hard truth."

"Anyway. So where were you Alexandria?"

For once I felt my mouth grow dry in the presence of my father.

"What? What do you mean?"

His smile grew into a cocky smirk and my stomach turned at the sight.

Graham was known for his signature cocky smirk but at least it was good-natured and still complimented his handsomeness.

Father's smirk was a cross between a grimace and a look of constipation.

"For the past month. I'm not buying that warehouse story. I'm not an idiot."

"You sure about that?" I muttered.

Father thankfully didn't hear me as he straightened up in his chair and rattled on.
"-so, where were you?"

"Exactly what Graham told you." I answered.

He crossed his arms and his lips tugged into a crooked smile,
"You see, there's such a thing called hypocrisy."

I stayed silent to allow him to continue but I couldn't deny the goosebumps that had started to form.

"I'm ninety percent sure, that your little palace absence, was intentional. Whether you were at your friend- er whatever the little brat's name is-"

"She's not a brat! Her name is Katherine!"

He rolled his eyes and continued to drawl on," Whatever. Whether you were by her or by that boy they found you with at the ball-"

He held up a hand as my mouth opened to argue.

"I knew it was an intentional absence."

"Uh, you claim to not be an idiot but you pretty much are acting like one! Graham told you himself! We went for a horse-ride, I fell off and injured myself and he didn't notice until he was too far gone."

Thankfully in telling his idiotic story, Graham emitted the part about our horse-ride being through the forest.

"So tell me how the heck was my absence intentional?" I snapped.

I hated that he was spot on, and onto my trail but I hated to give him the satisfaction of being right.

He dropped his gaze and cleared his throat while running a hand through his thinning dark hair.

A tell that he was embarrassed.

"Something doesn't add up. But i was just using it as an example. I how things should be done."

He threaded his fingers together and his two rings t winkled at me.

The sight of his wedding band made me feel to throw up.

How could mom love this monster?

"You criticize me for being too devoted to my country, to the palace. Whereas you're the opposite. You're too selfish. You care only about yourself, I don't know where you where but you nearly depleted our resources to get you back home. You should learn a few things from your dad."

A surge of anger rippled through me and I wanted nothing more than to see my mother's smiling face and warm eyes instead of the soulless taunting one's before me.

"First of all... you are and will never be my dad. You are my father. A sperm donor.

"Secondly. This isn't my home. It's a prison. A home is where you feel at peace, you feel loved. I haven't felt that way inside here since she died! "

He winced and absent-mindedly rubbed his wedding-band.

"And thirdly. I have every freaking reason to care about myself, since I have no-one else in here to do it. It's not like I had any parental figures growing up, I had to pretty much grow up and take care of myself, while I watched my father take care of the country instead."

Father tried to interject but I mustered all my anger into one glare and he sat back.

"And don't you dare tell me about Daphne and the others. I need actual birth-right figures. Not hired persons that watch my every move."

He scrunched his brows in confusion, "Daphne?"

I bit my lip from screaming a set of obscenities at him.

Daphne was supposed to be my right-hand lady. My help. At thirteen, I got tired of her trying to want to do everything for me, and I assigned her to Isabelle instead.
Isabelle's former lady quiet shortly after and I wanted nothing more than to ask her to carry me with her.

Of course father only knew his staff as their titles and not names.

Father shook his head at me, "Your temper causes you to lose out. You could possibly become Crown Prin-"

I stood up abruptly, and edged towards the door.

I had come with good intentions to try to mend things with him, but the opportunity had probably been lost a long time ago.
He was too far gone.

"Please. I can do without you trying to sell me dreams. We all know Isabelle is going to be Crown Princess."

"Maybe it's for the best."

A knock sounded and Mellie peeped her head in.

"Hi Mellie!" I chirped, the sight of her bright smile and shocking teal hair was enough to calm my anger.

"Alexa hi!"
Her gaze flitted between father and I and I saw her edge out the doorway.

"I'm afraid I'm interrupting something. But I just came to inform you that the King of Yurin is waiting in the Sun-room your highness."

"Good." Father clipped, he stood up and gathered his folder.

"Nice talking to you!" I chirped at his retreating figure.

He stopped in his tracks and I smiled at the thought that my oozing fake joy was unnerving him.

He shook his head before continuing towards the sun-room.

Mellie surveyed me and pursed her cherry-red lips, "You looked heated. Want me to bring up some ice-cream? Any snacks?"

I shook my head, "I'm good. I have a migraine, I'm gonna nap. Besides.."

I gestured to my face, "I've been breaking out more than usual. I think it's the dairy."

I snorted to myself, "No wonder Isabelle gets all the photos. You can literally play connect the dots on my forehead and cheeks."

Mellie snickered and when she saw me crack a smile, she relaxed.

"I think it's actually a refreshing sight to see an imperfect well-known person. We always see perfect skinned, perfect hair celebrities. It's hard sometimes you know?"

"Glad I can be the one to make you feel better about yourself." I laughed.

She tucked a strand of her short hair behind her ear and beamed at me.

I began to walk towards the staircase leading to my room and she fell in step with me.

"So. How's the internship?"

She grimaced and I couldn't help the laughter that burst out of me at her pained expression.

"I mean I'm grateful for the experience for my hospitality course but... if it weren't for you and sometimes Isabelle, I would have left a long time ago."

I placed a hand on her shoulder when we reached the top stair,
"Isabelle isn't all that bad, she's just... withdrawn at times. When you get her to open up she's a sweetheart."

She bit her lip in concentration before she shifted from foot to foot anxiously.

"What is it Mellie?"

"Why is that Isabelle is the only one attending the classes? You know that's the only reason that she's always busy right? She desperately wants to see you."

As usual, I shrugged before opening my bedroom door and gesturing for Mellie to follow. We closed the door behind us and made my way to my bed.

After a few minutes of silence, I finally spoke up.

"I mean.. it's obvious isn't it? He clearly has Isabelle in mind for Crown Princess."

Mellie grimaced once again as she lowered herself into my plush beanbag.

"It's okay Mel," I said, "It's not a surprise everyone saw this coming."

She nodded to herself and flitted her gaze to her striped skirt.

"So how are you Mellie?"

Her eyes stayed focused on her skirt as she raised one shoulder in a shrugging manner.

"I'm alright I guess, no offense but I can't wait to be out of here."

"When do you leave again?

"Uh end of December, I think." She chirped, finally lifting her gaze.

I let out a sigh, "I personally feel sorry for you. You're stuck with my dad for the next four months."

"Joy."

I let out an unattractive snort and Mellie's lips curved into a small smile.

Her gaze shifted to me and her hazel eyes twinkled in amusement.

"You know, I don't think you know how much your presence affects the palace. The whole aura is different."

I stayed silent as I didn't know how to reply.

Luckily she continued, "Not only was here in such a state of chaos but it was just... dead."

"Are you sure that was because I wasn't here or because I was missing?"

She shook her head, "That time you stayed with Miss Katherine in February for two weeks... it was the same."

"Oh."

"If you don't mind me asking... where were you?"

I shook my head in amusement and mentally cursed Graham.

People weren't idiots, they knew that warehouse story wasn't adding up.

"I- uh. How much time do you have? It's a pretty long story."

                ----------------------

"So, do you think you like him?"

My jaw dropped slightly and I quickly closed it before playfully narrowing my eyes at Mellie.

"That's the only thing you got from the whole story?"

She shrugged, "I'm a sucker for romance."

She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and her lips curved into a teasing smile.

"Now answer the question."

"I-I don't know. It's not possible to like someone after only a month right? "

She rolled her eyes, "If you weren't royalty I'd slap you up-side the head right now."

"You're free to do so, if that means slapping some sense into me."

She rose from the beanbag and crossed the room to sit on the wool carpet, directly in front of me.

"All jokes aside, I'm serious right now. I've known a couple who fell for each other after only three weeks. And you know what? They're happily married now. I won't deny the fact that it takes some time to get to know a person and develop feelings over time and it's hard for that to be done in only a month. But if in that said month you already feel the connection- an actual emotional connection and not just attraction... then I say why not? Maybe they're your soulmate."

My jaw dropped slightly again, "You know you have a very wise soul for a nineteen year old."

She flicked her bobbed hair behind her shoulder, "I know, I'm awesome."

We both fell into a fit of laughter and I loved the fact that I had made another friend and that she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Maybe this would last.

"But- even if you do like him... how is it going to work out? Isn't there that whole 'no commoner' rule'?" Mellie asked.

"Er.. not exactly. That rule was amended centuries ago, the only act that's in place now is that the current sovereign must give permission for the marriages and relationships of their offspring."

She frowned, "So your father has to be give permission if you are to be with Nate?"

I nodded.

She dramatically collapsed on the carpet, her bright hair splashing out behind her.
"Well rest in peace my ship."

"Exactly. Talking about it to you and Kat has made me realize-"

"That he's your soulmate and future father of four?"

I gave her a blank look, "Not exactly. That maybe I do like him. I think that's all there is, I simply may like him just a teensy tiny bit."

She pursed her lips, "So ungrateful Alexa, if you don't want him I'd gladly take him."

At my narrowed eyes, she snickered, "See! You just gave me a glare so icy that I think I have frost-bite!"

When I didn't reply, she sighed and her eyes dropped to the carpet, "Sucks that your father is a grade A asshole. Lots of other countries had commoners marries into the royal household."

"He makes me feel to jump off a cliff."

"I can tell that the feeling is mutual. Whatever happened to the two of you? I mean he's a grouch to everyone but he seems to hate you."

"As he frequently reminds me, I'm a disgrace to royalty and not a proper lady. He's ashamed of me."

She leaned backwards, propping herself up on her forearms, "And what is his perception of not being a lady. Of being a disgrace?"

"How I always speak out of turn, I'm not eloquent and graceful, I always speak my mind although he tells Isabelle and I to stay quiet... I'm too hot-tempered-"

"Uh.. well your mother was certainly eloquent and graceful and all of these things too and she was a kick- ass crown-princess that he still married."

Huh. I never thought of that.

"Maybe you remind him of her," She mused.

"Well whatever the real reason, it's no excuse to make me feel like shit."

"Agreed. Maybe you can try talking to him?"

I deadpanned.

"Oh right. Sorry, that's what you guys were probably doing before I came in right?"

"Well. I was trying to, before he started to act like an idiot."

Something started beeping and Mellie frantically searched her body before she grabbed her pager that was clipped onto her skirt.

The blue light danced erratically against her eyes.

"Blue light, your father needs me."

I groaned as she got up from the carpet and dusted her skirt, "But I'd be so lonelyy. "

She gave me a half-smile, "At least miss Katherine will be here soon, her flight gets in later today. And Isabelle... I think she'd be in classes whole day."

I shrugged, "It's okay. I'm used to it. You should go before my father gets pissed."

Her eyes opened in alarm and she jogged out the room, yelling a goodbye as she did so.

"Lonely, I'm missus lonelyy." I sang to myself.

           ____________________

It was later that night that I finally saw Isabelle.

I was scrolling through my private instagram feed when she appeared in the doorway.

"Knock knock!" She chirped, skipping her way into the room.

I clicked my phone off before she could have seen.

Social media was a big no-no for royalty. We had a official page run by our own media officers but Isabelle and I weren't allowed to run our own accounts.

That didn't stop me from using a private fake account.

"Please tell you're free for the rest of the night."

Her smile faltered slightly, "Er..."

"Please don't say you have more classes!"

She shook her head, "Nope. All done. I had extra today since our birthday is tomorrow. I- Graham kinda asked me on a date later."

"A date? Wow, that was fast."

She laid back onto the bed, resting her interlaced fingers on her stomach.
"Um well it's not really a date per say, just us hanging out. Getting to know each other."

"Oh. Well it's fine. I'll probably just take a nap or watch a movie till Katherine comes."

She turned her head to survey my face, "I mean I could always cancel... I haven't chatted with you in a while."

I waved her off, "We have plenty of time to catch up. Go to your date."

Isabelle furrowed her brows, "How are you so nonchalant about us? About Graham and I?"

"Oh believe me, I find it weird but I don't have a problem with it."

"Weird because I used to hate his guts?"

I nodded.

"I know. But that was because I was so quick to assume his character from other's perception. He's actually a sweet caring guy."

I held my hands up in surrender, "If you say so."'

"No but seriously,  you can go get ready for your date-"

"It's not a date!"

I snickered at her flushed cheeks, and I wondered for a third time if I was in a parallel universe.

Isabelle had always hated Graham, now here she is, blushing over the mention of a date.

"Whatever you call it, it's fine with me."

She rolled off the bed and landed gracefully on her feet, throwing her straight locks behind her shoulder.
"You sure?"

"Positive. I'm not going anywhere so we have plenty of time to catch up."

Isabelle turned to leave the room when she stiffened and her lips down turned, "Promise you're not going to leave me again?"

"I promise."

She gave me a curt nod before turning on her heel  and sashaying out the room.

Once I was left with my thoughts, I began to feel the overwhelming emotion of loneliness and I was tempted to call Isabelle back.

It was odd that I had grown accustomed over a period of years of  the thought of solitude; yet one month of the experience of the Hartleys, made me yearn for company.

I smiled to myself as I imagined what the crazy family was probably doing right then.

Possibly their usual banter over the dinner or maybe their usual bantering over a movie.

It had beena full week since I had returned, a simple week and I already missed them like crazy.

I missed him like crazy; my roommate, my friend, the boy that I undoubtedly know now, that I liked.

Before speaking to Mellie and Kat, I realized that I had truly had feelings for Nate, but I quickly brushed the idea after I was afraid of the thought of them being too soon.

Although I may be slow at times, I wasn't oblivious. I had suspected Nate had a crush on me at times.

His contrasting distant behaviour at times conflicted this idea so I simply brushed it off as Nate being a decent charming friend.

I released a frustrated sigh and reached for the television remote.

I was not going to spend the eve of my eighteenth birthday, wallowing over something that could have never happened.

I shook my head as I passed the  Percy Jackson & The Sea of Monsters and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on the guide.

I flickered my eyes to ceiling as if looking to a higher power.
"If you think this is funny, it certainly isn't to me." I grumbled.

I hastily chose a rerun of The Office and snuggled into my pillows, anticipating the show to bring me comic relief.

I just hope tomorrow goes well, I thought, before zoning my attention into the show.

           ----------------------------
A/N: Another week, another update!

Comment your thoughts on it! Show your support!

You're gonna love the next chapter ;)

Until next time! Love you guys!
xx-Sierra

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8K 409 15
"If you look anymore perfect, I will lock you up in my room And I assure you, you won't be able to walk for days after that." It was every girl's dre...
1.5M 69.6K 69
"What do you even need me for?" She asked , speaking into the darkness where she thought he was. "I do not need you." He answered her darkly. Even th...
1.3M 66.7K 37
We all have someone who is hidden in the bottom of our hearts. When we think of him, we will always feel a little pain inside, but still we can't for...
778K 25.4K 41
The Princetons and the Lockes. It's an enmity of decades. And so the tradition continues when it comes to Venus and Caden. A prince and a leader's da...