a chained heart

By ellpara

A fan fiction where Lawrence actually did come back for Adam More

1 | a kept promise
2 | safe
3 | friend-s h i p
4 | impulses
5 | moving in
6 | lust
7 | blood
8 | sunrise
9 | awkward love
10 | chili's and kisses
11 | good times and bad news
12 | drunk on plane-jet?
13 | swindler style
14 | double-crossed
15 | sleep
16 | chaos
17 | decisions
19 | temporary happiness
20 | deceit
21 | goodbye

18 | change

1K 37 101
By ellpara

"Game over!"

A collection of loud laughters erupted as the man at the pool table had just been owned—as the cool kids call it.

As Adam and Lawrence sat at the bar sipping their drinks, they looked at each other simultaneously, thinking the same thing. The words sent chills down their spines, but they were buzzed enough to push it to the backs of their minds and enjoy their night.

"So how does it feel to finish your first ever script!" Bradley, their producer, walked up to the bar and put his arms around Adam's and Larry's shoulders.

"It feels pretty amazing." Adam smiled, sipping his beer lightly.

They'd finally finished writing for the biopic, and everyone involved was out for drinks to celebrate their finished product. It only took a few months as promised, but Adam and Lawrence weren't ready to part with L.A. They'd come to fall in love with it, and Bradley had become a good friend to them. They could see bits and pieces of Ron and David in him. It hurt them at times, but he was a nice man and they didn't mind working for him.

And the money.

God, the money.

Never in his wildest dreams did Adam see himself leaving his shit-hole apartment, but he finally did. Granite countertops, hardwood floors, and rooms with windows that took up almost an entire wall were all foreign concepts to him. Now they were home.

After a few weeks of work, Adam and Lawrence had went apartment hunting and found a place of their own, moving out of the apartment they'd first been set up with.

It's not that they didn't like it, but it was Bradley's taste, not theirs. And picking out their own place to live made it more personal to them. They wanted to play out that romantic notion of getting a place together and fighting over the stupid little things like what the light fixtures looked like and if they had a dishwasher or not.

Adam didn't know if it was the drinks, or the rowdy noises of the bar, or what Lawrence looked like in the dim lighting, but he was getting sentimental.

"You okay, big guy?" Bradley punched Adam lightly in the shoulder.

He'd been calling Adam big guy from the start, and it made him laugh because he was the smallest out of the three of them.

"Yeah, I'm good." Adam smiled.

"Have you guys been thinking about my offer? It still stands," Bradley chirped.

The offer. Bradley had told them that even after the script was written, they could stick around for production. Visit set, watch tapings, help direct.

Bradley wanted everything to be correct and authentic, and what better way to do it than have the real guys by your side?

He even went to the lengths of having the taping done in the actual bathroom. He said it would add a personal touch for the audience; just like how My Friend Dahmer was filmed in Dahmer's childhood home.

It was a great idea, but Adam and Lawrence just couldn't be there.

No way.

"We've been thinking," Lawrence answered. "We just don't think it's best. For our mental sake, we mean."

Bradley put his hands up. "I completely understand. I am a man of my word, and as I said the first night I spoke to Adam, I would never make you guys do something you're not comfortable with. Just know that you could also just partake in tapings that don't take place in the bathroom. Such as detective work and your guy's love sequence."

Adam turned to Lawrence and whispered a little too aggressively, "We should do it, man." Adam realized he was too loud and tried to hold his alcohol better. "We've already gone this far. We both know we don't want to go back to New York."

"Adam, I just think we should stop and think about th—"

"C'mon man!" Adam pushed Larry's arm. "We already talked about living here. So what's the difference between staying in our apartment, and staying in our apartment with a little more cash on the side." Adam pinched and rubbed his fingers together to indicate wealth.

Lawrence sighed and put his face in his hands.

"You know I'm right. You always do that when I'm right." Adam pointed at at Lawrence.

Larry lifted his face, smiling and shaking his head. I hate you, he mouthed.

"Love you," Adam smiled cheekily.

"Yeah, we'll do it," Lawrence turned back to Bradley. "We'll keep helping."

"You sure?"

"Yeah why not. It couldn't hurt, right? Adam and I planned on sticking around L.A anyway."

Bradley smiled, "Adda boy, I knew you guys would come around. I'll give you a call when more details come up."

"Sounds good," Lawrence tried to stay positive looking.

***

It was dark as Adam and Lawrence walked back to their apartment, hand in hand. It was kind of chilly too, but nowhere near what the December air would feel like in New York.

"Can you believe Christmas is tomorrow and there isn't a speck of snow in sight?" Adam pondered as he swung Larry's hand back and forth.

"I know," Lawrence sighed. "This will be my first non-white Christmas experience. New York has a blizzard every five seconds."

"I'm okay with it though." Adam spoke softly. "As long as we get a tree. Oh let's go buy one right now!" Adam started hopping like a child.

"Adam, it's almost midnight," Lawrence checked his watch.

"I don't care." Adam gripped at Larry's sleeve. "There's 24/7 stores all over the place where we can go buy a fake one."

"Really, Adam? Come on."

"Don't tell me the city's changed you into an even bigger priss already?" Adam raised his eyebrow while putting his lips close to Lawrence's cheek. "What am I gonna do with you after years of living here?"

"I'm not a priss." Lawrence pushed Adam's face away from his.

"Okay, then tree. Now."

"You're two years old, you know that?" Lawrence tried to be offensive but then placed his lips on Adam's lovingly.

"I know." Adam smiled.

Their flirtation was interrupted by Lawrence's phone. It was Bradley. He picked it up. "Hello?"

"Hey! Just wanted to let you know that after everyone's little Christmas break is over, the crew is headed down to New York to shoot the bathroom scenes. Now like I said, you don't have to take part, but I still think it'd be smart of you to travel with the crew. Just so you're around incase we really need you for anything else. I am still paying you, after all."

Lawrence thought for a second and decided it wouldn't hurt. The guy was reasonable. "Yeah. Yeah we'll come."

"Alright sounds good! We'll book you a five star hotel and everything. Enjoy your Christmas," Bradley chirped.

"You too," Lawrence said before hanging up.

"What was that?" Adam asked wearily.

"It looks like we're going back to New York," Lawrence replied sheepishly.

Adam's face dropped.

"It's only gonna take a few weeks and we probably don't even have to do anything. Just think of it as a little vacation," Lawrence grabbed Adam's shoulders and tried to get him to stop pouting.

Adam stayed in his place looking angry.

"Let's go get that tree," Larry stroked Adam's cheek with his thumb and finally got the smile he was waiting for.

***

"And—she's done!" Adam stood back and admired the now decorated plastic tree in the corner of the living room. "The lights are a little messy and I don't know if there's enough ornaments but—"

Lawrence snuck up on Adam, hugging him from behind and shutting up the OCD tangent he was going off on. "It's great, baby."

Lawrence kissed the crook of Adam's neck, and then bent down to grab two mugs of hot coco from the coffee table. Larry handed him one and smiled. "Here. Relax."

Adam tried his best to hide the blush surfacing on his cheeks but failed.

"You're so cute when you blush," Lawrence schmoozed. "Like a high school girl that just got asked to prom."

"I've actually—never been to a prom." Adam looked down embarrassed. "Or a school dance, even."

Lawrence almost laughed, but then bit his tongue when he saw an underlying sadness in Adam's eyes. It wasn't really a big deal, but he still felt bad for the kid. He spent most of his life alone and never got to partake in normal teenage things that everyone else did.

Lawrence put down his mug of hot coco and quickly rushed over to the light switch. Flipping it to off, the living room was now dimly lit by nothing but the lights on the tree and the far away rooms of whoever was still up in the city at this hour.

"Lawrence, what are you—?"

"Alexa, play I'll Be Home For Christmas by Michael Bublé," Lawrence interrupted Adam's questioning.

Suddenly, the music was playing, filling the silence in the apartment. Everything was quiet but the flowing strums of light guitar and the smooth, romantic vocals.

"Lawrence," Adam laughed embarrassedly, looking down at the floor.

Lawrence walked up close to Adam. As the soft music played, he looked into Adam's eyes and a warm light grew in his stomach. In that moment, he swore Adam never looked more beautiful. There was something about Christmas and L.A that suited him nicely. He was falling in love all over again.

"Lawrence, I've never slow danced before. I don't know how." Adam's voice was timid—nervous evenas if he were meeting Larry for the first time.

Maybe he was, anyway; every thing was going just right—it was as if their game had never happened and they were both different people.

Both the undamaged versions of themselves.

"It's okay, I'll show you how," Lawrence whispered. "Here," he grabbed Adam's hands and placed them on his shoulders.

Moving his own hands down, he snaked his arms around Adam's waist and pulled him in close against his body.

"Now—just move with the music," Lawrence spoke softly.

He began gently swaying side to side, slowly guiding Adam's waist with his hands. After he felt Adam grow less tense, he started to walk them in a circle. They'd made a full rotation and Lawrence pulled back, smiling. "You got it."

Adam moved one of his hands off Larry's shoulder and placed it on his hip, moving to his own rhythm he'd found in the song. As he stepped in circles, he laid his head on Lawrence's chest and closed his eyes. "I love you so much, Lawrence."

"I love you too, Adam." Lawrence held him tight.

Adam had finally found bliss.

After spending most of his life alone in a shitty apartment with no friends or family to care about him, he'd never pictured this moment to be possible, but here it was.

He felt everything.

Lawrence's warm body on his. The cold hard wood floors under his toes as he stepped side to side. The cheesy, romantic Christmas music that he used to despise out of loneliness but was now loving every note of it. The sounds of their fireplace crackling.

Everything was perfect.

He never wanted to leave this moment.

But as Adam had learned throughout his mostly sad life, all good things come to an end.

Pushing the thought aside, Adam looked up and gazed at Lawrence before pushing his lips against his.

Lawrence hummed with satisfaction and pulled Adam closer.

Both of them hadn't realized the song had ended, but they were too distracted by fiddling with their belts and rushing to their bedroom to care anyway.

***

The sunny, morning sky of L.A was peeking into the suite's bedroom, waking Lawrence up calmly. He was still naked, covered with nothing but the silky, white blanket hovering just above his waistline, as Adam was always hogging it. Blinking his eyes, he'd found the kid wasn't laying beside him.

Groaning lightly, he rolled over only to get spoken to seconds later, "Good morning, beautiful."

Lawrence wasn't facing Adam, but he could still see the sly look on his face as he was complimenting yet teasing him all at once.

Lawrence smiled to himself before rolling back over to see his boyfriend in the doorway; he wore plaid pajama pants and a robe that was loosely tied, exposing parts of his chest. He held a mug of coffee in his hands and walked slowly to the side of the bed, handing it to Lawrence. "Merry Christmas," he joked.

"How did you know this was what I've always wanted?" Lawrence returned the sarcasm.

"Oh, you know I got you something for real, Larry," Adam rolled his eyes playfully. "Now put this on so we can go open it by the tree," he spoke, throwing a robe onto the bed.

Larry froze for a minute. His heart did flips as the warm sun rays accented Adam's jawline and brought out all of his hidden features. 

For the first time ever, he saw hints of stubble on Adam's cheeks, and his eyes looked a sea-foam green in the rising morning light.

Adam smiled as Larry gawked at him. "Just put it on. Let's go!" Adam snapped his fingers.

Lawrence put his coffee on the nightstand and threw on the robe. "Okay, let's go," he faked annoyance. "God sometimes I can't tell if you're my boyfriend or my kid."

"That sounded so wrong on so many different levels," Adam laughed.

"Shut up," is all Lawrence could come up with as they both sat down next to the tree.

Before Adam could say anything, Lawrence spoke at the speed of light, "I'm giving you yours first!" He handed over a medium sized box wrapped with tacky reindeer paper.

"And you said I'm the kid," Adam snorted.

"Just open it." Lawrence growled.

"Okay, okay."

Adam delicately tore at the paper and Lawrence watched, trying to contain his excitement. As Adam got enough paper off to reveal part of the box underneath, he put a hand to his mouth and looked up at Lawrence.

"You didn't." Adam smiled giddily through his fingers. Crows feet spread across the edges of his eyes as his smile grew wider.

"I did." Lawrence laughed as Adam tore the rest of the wrapping away. He ripped open the box as gently as he could with the excitement he had growing inside of him. Finally opening the cardboard, Adam pulled out his present and held it as if it were his own child.

"I can't believe you got me the Nikon D750." Adam sat in awe at his new camera. "Thank you so much." He put the gift down gently before leaping into Lawrence for a hug.

"I don't know anything about cameras like you do, but I heard that was the best one so I figured you'd know about it? I hope you like it." Lawrence lamely spoke as he held Adam.

Adam leaned back and looked appalled. "Like it? Lawrence I love it." Adam was not only in love with the contraption that had so many great features that his other camera hadn't, but also at the fact that Lawrence was truly thinking about him and his passions. He knew what he wanted without even asking. Adam was falling in love with him more and more every day.

"Okay, your turn," Adam smiled, turning around to grab two wrapped gifts.

Adam handed Lawrence a medium sized cylinder one first and couldn't wipe the mischievous smirk from his face.

"What? Nothing's gonna come out and bite me is it?" Lawrence asked wearily.

"Just open it." Adam put a hand over his mouth to try and hide his laugh.

Lawrence tore it open to find a jar of skippy peanut butter inside and Adam began laughing himself to tears. "It's a joke. Get it? Because of the—"

"Yeah yeah, I get it," Lawrence stopped Adam from finishing and just shook his head while chuckling lightly.

Adam handed over a small box and grew serious, a little somber even. "Okay, this one's for real."

Lawrence took the gift graciously and waited a few beats before slowly tearing the wrapping paper. It was a white, cardboard jewelry box that was clearly already used and not fresh from the store. It was holding something that did not belong inside.

"Go ahead. Open it," Adam nodded towards the cover of the container.

Lawrence removed the lid, and once he saw what was inside, tears slid down his face. He looked up at Adam in disbelief, "How did you—?"

"His parents gave it to me at the funeral. They told me to give it to you when I felt the time was right," Adam answered.

Lawrence removed the contents of the box and held it in his trembling hands: Ron's watch.

"Flip it over," Adam spoke softly, pointing to it.

Lawrence did as instructed and found that on the back of the watch there was something engraved that hadn't been there before.

Forever in your heart, Tiger.

"I had to ask his parent's permission of course if I'd be allowed to alter the watch, and it took me a while to think of what he'd want to engrave for you but—"

Adam was interrupted when Lawrence crashed his lips ferociously into his. Lawrence soon pulled back and panted for air, "I love you so much it fucking hurts sometimes."

"Likewise," Adam chuckled, placing a hand on Lawrence's cheek and staring down at his lips. Their foreheads rested on each other's as they sat in silence, feeling their love.

Adam gently took the watch from Lawrence's hands and started putting it on for him. Wrapping it around his wrist, he fastened it on lovingly then took his hand, interlacing their fingers.

"I miss him so much," Lawrence cried after a few seconds of quiet. "David too."

"I miss them too, babe." Adam sighed sadly and squeezed Larry's hand a little tighter.

Lawrence let out a long, deep breath. "I love the gift so much, Adam." He kissed Adam's forehead. "Thank you, baby."

Adam gave him a small smile in return.

Lawrence stood up and rushed to the bedroom.

"Where you going?" Adam perked up.

"I have to wish Alison and Diana a Merry Christmas!" Lawrence called from down the hall. He came back in with his laptop and sat back down next to Adam. Opening it up, he sent a Skype call to Alison. She picked up after a few rings.

"Hi!" She smiled and waved.

"Hi," Lawrence waved in return.

"Hey Alison," Adam lamely poked his head in the frame then ducked back out.

"Hi Adam," she laughed. Turning her head she called behind her, "Diana! Daddy's on the phone!"

"Daddy?" Lawrence heard her voice in the background followed by her running footsteps. She ran up to the camera and smiled widely, "Hi Daddy!"

"Hi sweetheart! I was calling to wish you and Mommy a Merry Christmas. Did you open your presents yet?"

"Yeah," she nodded excitedly. "A few hours ago."

"What time is it in new York?" Lawrence asked his daughter. He knew she was fascinated by the concept of time zones even though she didn't understand them. Yet that's probably why she was fascinated by them in the first place.

"It's nine," she replied cooly.

"Oh wow!" Larry checked Ron's watch on his wrist. "It's noon here."

"That's crazy talk Daddy," Diana giggled.

"I'm not lying it's true!" Larry put his hands up.

"Is uncle Adam there?" Diana moved closer to the screen as if she could peek around and look.

Lawrence looked at Adam in confusion and then to Alison.

"She's been calling him that ever since they met," Alison explained, just as confused as he was.

Adam poked his head out so that he was back on the screen. "Hey, kid," he smiled. "Merry Christmas."

"You too, Uncle Adam!" she spoke excitedly. She loved Adam and his heart warmed at that fact.

Alison grabbed her phone back nicely, "Mommy needs to talk to Daddy, sweetie."

"Okay," her voice was sad but she listened.

"So," Alison started. "Are you gonna come visit home soon?"

"Yeah, I was actually getting to that. The crew's spending a few weeks in New York for the bathroom scenes in the biopic. We won't be there for them, but we're coming to support the crew anyway, and because it gives me an excuse to come see you guys," he chuckled.

"Oh that's great!" she beamed. "When will you be coming?"

"Probably this weekend."

"Does Adam want to come over when you visit?" she inquired. "Cause he can if he wants. I know Diana would love to see him."

Lawrence looked to Adam and raised his brows in question.

Adam nodded wearily. He wanted to be accepted in his family, and now that he finally was, he took advantage of it.

"Sure, he'll come over at some point. But we'll both probably be staying in a hotel with the crew."

"That's fine," Alison waved her hand dismissively. "The house is a mess anyway, you wouldn't want to sleep here."

Lawrence chuckled at her need for everything to be perfect. "I'm sure it's fine. Anyway, don't tell Diana we're coming. It'll be a nice surprise for her."

"Okay, I won't." Alison pretended to zip her lips.

"Bye, Ali."

"Bye Larry. Bye Adam," she added after.

"Bye," Adam spoke nervously from the background.

Once Lawrence closed the computer he looked at Adam. "Ready to return to home sweet home?" he asked sarcastically.

"Yeah, right." Adam scoffed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

229 45 18
After being killed execution-style by his own family, a young man settles in an alternative afterlife and learns how to live. **************** On the...
10 0 1
A short love story between two college boys
44.4K 1K 29
"Look at me Axel . I'm sorry I never should've- His lips were on mine and I grabbed his waist like it was the most natural thing in the world. His...