inmates

By thatsshitwritingdude

Life's not been too great for Sam. His dad left when he was 9, his family's broke, and he's not exactly the... More

chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter twenty

chapter nineteen

1.7K 55 4
By thatsshitwritingdude

Authors note:

So sorry for the delay! I've just had a bad writers block lately. I'm not too happy with how this chapter turned out but I didn't want to go another week without updating so here we are.

Also, I'm planning on bringing this story to an end soon, like maybe next chapter or the chapter after? Not sure, just a heads up. I've really enjoyed writing this but I think it's time to finish it.

Anyway, like always let me know if you see any spelling/grammar mistakes and I'll change them. Comments and votes are really appreciated! :)

Enjoy!

----------

What?
Was his mum trying to cover him up or something?

"What do you mean?" Sam asked, confused.
Grace cut in, saving Evan from having to say anymore.
"She didn't really want to mention that she had a second son but, oh he's just on the run from the law, no biggie, so she just didn't really...bring you up" she bit her lip.

Sam could see where his mum was coming from but...ouch. Was she actually trying to forget him?
"Oh..." was all he could mutter.

That was when Noah finally decided to speak up.
"Why don't we all, uh.. sit down, huh?" He gestured to the living room, and Sam and his siblings flopped onto the cream sofa, Noah sitting on the armchair next to it.

"So..how have you guys been managing?" Sam asked, changing the topic. Sure, he was a little peed off (okay, majorly, peed off), but he didn't want to brood over it right now. Evan scratched his arm.

"Okay" he said bluntly.
Grace frowned at him then faced Sam again.
"Mum's... well, she's not happy about your.. situation, but she's been coping" she said. She was twirling a strand of her newly cut hair around her finger.

Sam nodded. He felt like shit for putting his mum through all this but it was a little too late to back out now. The aura of the room was quickly becoming tense and awkward. Sam turned to Noah, who gave him a 'this is awkward' look.

"Well, why don't I-"
Sam's sentence was cut off by the sound of keys turning in the door and laughing and hushing outside the door.
"Mum's back" Evan whisper shouted. Grace cursed (which was new for her - but Sam would nag her about it later) and stood up.

"Quickly, upstairs!" She grabbed both Noah's and Sam's arms, shoving them up the stairs. Then Sam took the initiative and led them up to his room. There was no way his mum would go in there if she was trying to cover up his existence (still, ouch).

Once they got in his room Sam shut the door and turned to Noah, holding a finger up against his lips.
"Why are we hiding? I thought you wanted to see your mum" Noah whispered, clearly confused.
Sam rolled his eyes "because her boyfriend's with her" Sam replied, and Noah 'ohh'd under his breath.

The two of them stood in front of the door and listened out. He could hear his mum laughing and the sound of a man saying something - but he couldn't make out what. Noah sighed and collapsed onto Sam's twin bed.

Sam stayed put by the door, but shot a glance in Noah's direction. Then he heard Grace saying something, then silence. He heard mystery man say his goodbyes and the front door open then close again. Sam relaxed against the door - Grace must've thought of an excuse to get him to leave.

He let out a sigh of relief but carried on waiting. Then footsteps ran up the stairs and the door flew open to reveal his mum. On instinct, she cupped a hand over her mouth in disbelief then let out a sob as she rushed to hug him. Sam was also teary as he leant over to wrap his arms around her tiny frame. She sniffed into his shoulder. She looked more fragile than he remembered.

"Mum, I-"
"Save it!" His mum pulled back, and although she was relieved to see him... she also looked mad beyond belief "what were you thinking, Sammy?!" Her voice cracked as she held his shoulders an arms length away from herself and kept their eyes locked.

"Do you have any idea how worried I've been? As if being arrested wasn't bad enough, now you're running from the law!" She shook her head then pulled him in for another hug. Sam took her silence as his chance to speak.
"I-" an apology wouldn't be enough, but it was all he could give "I'm sorry..."

She tutted and ran a hand through her thinning hair. Sam took in her appearance. She had noticeable bags under her eyes, although they were more prominent than they used to be. Her face showed stress and her body posture seemed tensed. Her hair was past her shoulders rather than cut in its usual bob, indicating that she had been neglecting to go to the hairdressers. Sam bit his lip.

"But, I'm fine, see!" He spun on the spot and his mum cracked a small smile. She sniffed and ran the sleeve of her pink jumper under her nose. She looked to Noah, who was stood awkwardly behind Sam, fiddling with the hem of his hoodie.
"You better be watching out for my boy" she said to him, eyes narrowed.

Noah nodded "always", which caused Sam to groan.
"Mum I'm twenty-one, I can watch out for myself, Christ!"

His mum then cupped his cheek with her palm and stroked her thumb under his eye (the signs of lack-of-sleep were also showing on him, as dark circles were prominent under each of his eyes).
"I know, but you know me Sam - I worry" she said "I worried about Nathan, and look what happened!" She sighed loudly.

Sam stayed quiet after that. Honestly, he fumed at even the thought of Nathan after all he had put him through. But then if it wasn't for him... Sam wouldn't have met Noah. So in a way Nathan had sort of helped him? Kinda? Oh well. Sam decided not to think about it.

But one thing was for certain. He did love Noah, and quite frankly he wouldn't have his life any other way.

------

"So, how come you're ginger now?"

The five of them were once again sat in the living room (albeit slightly awkwardly) and Evan had taken the opportunity to make fun of Sam, as he usually did. Sam groaned loudly and pulled his hood up.

"It was meant to be brown!" He put his head on his hands, elbows resting on his knees. Noah laughed from next to him and patted his shoulder.
"Oh, why would you do that Sam? Your hair's lovely!" His mum spoke up, seemingly forever nagging him. Sam waved his hand in a gesture to move the conversation ahead.

"Lets change the topic now" he said. He was glad to be back home, with his usual family bantering. Although he knew he'd have to leave the next day. They had to keep moving.

Suddenly, he had an idea and lit up.
"How about I make some of my famous pancakes tomorrow?" He smirked, wrapping an arm around Noah's shoulders, surprising him "Noah here hasn't had the privilege of trying them"

"Yes!" Grace grinned "I've tried to make some myself, but they always burn" she shrugged. Which was to be expected, she couldn't even make toast.
"Well, they better be all you've hyped them up to be" Noah taunted.

"Oh they will be" Sam grinned.

------

After seemingly hours of chatting and catching up, it was finally getting late and they all had to get to bed.
Sam kissed and hugged all his family goodnight, then he and Noah retired to his room.

Once he shut the door, Sam headed towards his wardrobe. He pulled out some of the clothes which were still in there, and pulled his (Noah's) hoodie off, switching his black jeans for joggers. Deciding on just sleeping in his t-shirt, he turned to Noah.

"Wanna borrow some joggers? Shorts?" He questioned. Noah shook his head and pulled his own hoodie off.
"Nah, they won't fit" he laughed "I'll just sleep in my boxers"

Sam nodded and switched the light off. His curtains were really see-through so moon and streetlight poured in through the window, anyway, casting a low light across the room. The two of them got into Sam's bed (which was pretty difficult seeing as it was the smallest bed on earth - but Noah didn't want either of them sleeping on the sofa) and turned to face Noah, back against the wall.

"You alright?" Noah whispered, conscious of the rest of Sam's family hearing - the walls were thin.
Sam nodded and leant his head against Noah's chest. He was just glad to be home.

------

Morning arrived with Grace pounding on the door and shouting at the two of them to get up, at 6:30am - right, Sam forgot his siblings had school. Noah groaned and let out a muffled 'go away' into the pillow, then stretched and rolled over - only to fall out of the bed with a loud thump. Which caused Sam to laugh so hard his stomach started to hurt.

"Shitting hell!" Noah sat up and rubbed his eyes "what's your floor made of, bricks?!" He rubbed his back and Sam wiped an imaginary tear from under his eye.
"Uh, wood, dumbass" he grinned, his eyes still half open. He knew his hair would be sticking up in all directions but he couldn't really care.

Noah then stood up and stretched out again, mumbling some curse words under his breath. Sam just laughed and also got up. The two of them exchanged a sleepy hug and a peck on the lips before leaving Sam's room to head downstairs.

Evan and Grace were waiting at the table with their uniforms already on, clearly waiting. Grace had her sleeves rolled up (as was the new 'trend' at school, apparently) showing her freckled arms. Evan had bags under his eyes - he'd probably been up till god knows when on his phone, Sam figured.

"Hurry up with the pancakes Sam, we're starving" Evan complained dramatically, clutching at his stomach. It was late June, so they'd be finished with school soon enough.
"Okay okay" Sam rolled his eyes. He told Noah that he could go wait in the living room and watch tv for 15 minutes, then got to work.

------

Half an hour and many, many pancakes later, the four of them were full to the brim. Grace patted her stomach happily.
"Dunno how you do it Sam" she said, to with Sam shrugged and shot a smirk in her direction.
"Guess I'm just naturally gifted"

Noah was slumped in his seat as well, looking at Sam.
"They were pretty good" he said, to which Sam snorted. He then got up and gathered everyone's plates.
"Right, you two" he pointed at Grace and Evan "better head off to school"

"Okay, mum" Evan rolled his eyes, though he was smiling. The two of them went to brush their teeth and get their bags before coming back downstairs again.

The three of them then shared another hug (which lasted way longer than usual) and Sam ruffled both their hairs.
"Right, you two behave while I'm gone" he said, feigning sternness.

The two of them nodded.
"When are you gonna be back..?" Grace asked, attempting to hide her disappointment at her older brother leaving again so soon.
"I don't know, but I promise to call more often from pay-phones, kay?"

She nodded and the three of them shared one final hug before they had to leave. Sam had to stop himself from standing in the doorway to wave them off (which would be a very bad idea). Once he shut the door again he sighed and it was Noah's turn to give him a hug.

"They'll be fine" he said "they're good kids"
Sam smiled up and nodded at him.
"I know"

------

Once Sam had said goodbye to his mum again (which resulted in sobbing from the both of them) he and Noah left again, pulling their hoodies up. Sam shoved a pair of sunglasses on that he had in his pocket, Noah doing the same. It was boiling already, though, so they did sort of stick out in their black hoodies. Ah well.

Sam was lost in thought on the way back to the girls' flat, his hand gripping Noah's (who was leading him so he didn't bump into anything due to his not paying attention). Mostly, he was happy. He'd finally got to see his family again. But he was still feeling sort of.. meh, seeing as he knew it would be the last time in a while.

Noah, as usual, brought him out of his thoughts with some shitty joke and caused him to laugh and shake his head. Sam supposed that although he had to be apart from his old family.. he had made new along the way. He leant his head against Noah's shoulder and grinned. He'd be alright.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

327 43 19
What happens when a boneheaded criminal falls in love with his overtly manipulative boss? Nothing good, that's for sure, and they're gonna make it ev...
7.3K 563 44
If he had known danger, death and vampires would follow, he would have asked for disownment. *** Jesse Parker was never particularly close to his fa...
5.4M 202K 84
One mistake lands Aiden in the world's most secure and loathed prison after he unintentionally murders a wealthy, well-connected wife-beater. Located...
566K 24.1K 51
It's going to be hard to get to happily ever after. Someone is watching us. They're three steps ahead of us, at every turn. I want to have faith in...