Counterpoint

By Itanna

Everything in the world used to be so black and white. Good was always good and bad was always bad. There was... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87

Chapter 76

294 15 9
By Itanna

Thomas

   Everything has gone relatively still, each of my siblings are sitting on one of the many couches and peering at Alexander with interest. Mary keeps her distance and sits in an arm chair clear on the other side of the room. Alex fidgets beside me as he holds my hand tightly in his grasp, he has refused to release his hold on me ever since the huddle of comfort had dispersed. My chest grows warm as I look down at his hand in mine, there is a peculiar feeling of eternity that blossoms within me as I look at our conjoined hands. I can see the rest of my life resting between our two palms and it fills me with warmth.

   "So...who is this Thomas?" Lucy pipes up after several minutes of quiet chatter. I blink in surprise before looking amongst my siblings following all of their gazes back to Alexander. He keeps his eyes trained on his lap as he remains ever silent. My lips twitch into the smallest of grins as I notice his discomfort and find a small fragment of appreciation for his shyness. I pull our joined hands into my lap, covering them with my other hand. He peeks at me from the corner of his eye as I grin slightly before returning my attention back to my family.

   "This is Alexander Hamilton." I answer gently. "He is quite easily the most obstinate and secretive man I have ever met," Alex drops his gaze, staring down at the floor. "But he is also one of the kindest and has one of the most vulnerable hearts. It is one of the many reasons that I love him." Alex colors, his ears becoming a bright shade of pink as he tries to hide his flustered expression from all of the prying eyes of the Jefferson brood. Randolph shifts uneasily in his seat beside Anna, I watch him curiously, lifting a single eyebrow in question. "Is something the matter Randolph?"

   "I just feel like an ass." He mutters.

   "He feels bad for assuming that you were straight." Anna finishes. "Especially after his comment in the airport." Randolph shrinks further into the couch, Peter reaching across and placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

   "Don't feel bad." I reply smoothly. "You didn't know because I hadn't wanted you to know. I was protecting a secret I was asked to keep."

   "Why keep it a secret?" Elizabeth questions. "We wouldn't have shamed you or turned you away."

   "No matter who you decide to spend your life with you will still be our brother." Peter chimes in, his baritone voice seeming to break through the remaining tension. "So, why keep this secret for so long?"

   "It was because of me." Alex murmurs, finally breaking the invisible seal he had placed on his lips. Everyone looks over at him, waiting for more answers to spill from his lips. It is obvious by they way that they are studying him that they don't expect him to be very forthcoming with his thoughts, if only they knew the dormant geyser of opinion resting inside him as I do. "I...Your brother is very understanding of my desire for privacy. He was very willing to accommodate for me."

   "Why the secret?" Mary asks.

   "Are you really one to ask such a question?" Anna quips. "Seems like you have been keeping some pretty big secrets over there sis." Mary says nothing as she simply looks out the window, her angry expression reflecting on the glass. "That's what I thought." Anna mutters with distaste.

   "Anna," I scold. "don't forget who your family is."

   "He kept us a secret because I am selfish and afraid." Alex replies before any more stabs could be made. "I... I'm a mess of a person. I make mistakes that I can't take back and I hurt people when I don't mean to." His hand goes slack between mine. "Your brother is a good man and he is too good for someone like me." I tighten my hold on his hand, struggling to keep myself from rushing into singing his praises and devoting my thoughts to his worship. Each of his words seeming to drive themselves into my heart like serated sabers, hacking away at the already vulnerable organ. "You don't know me and I don't imagine there will be much of an opportunity for you to know me, but I want to just apologize to all of you for what I have put your brother through, while also thanking you for your part in making him who he is."

   There is a beat of silence. I bring his hand up to my lips and cover the skin with feverish kisses. His skin feels cold against mine and it makes me think of dreaded farewells. My heart has been reduced to a bleeding lump of flesh that aches for this man beside me in a way that cannot be relieved by anything other than his love. His eyes slowly flutter over to mine as I cover his skin with evidence of my affection.

   "Stop putting words in my mouth." I murmur into his skin. "I already told you that you aren't going anywhere."

   "Thomas, I don't want to hurt you anymore." He mutters, his hand trembling underneath my skin. "I can't bear it."

   "I don't know what exactly is going on," Martha cuts in quietly, her voice gentle and uncertain. "There are far too many secrets and mistakes being thrown out into the open this evening. I find it to be rather difficult to follow who should be considered guilty or innocent. Perhaps we should leave that particular decision to Thomas."

   "I don't think I understand what you are suggesting." Peter replies confusedly. "Are you asking us to not involve ourselves in this? If so, I believe that moment has come and gone."

   "That is not what i'm saying. This situation affects Thomas solely, it is only right that he is the one who passes judgement." There are several murmurs of assent and dissent amongst the siblings but all I can focus on is Alexander and how he refuses to look me in the eyes. "Thomas is the only one who can decide where to go from here."

   "I need everyone to leave." The words slip past my lips like a whisper. "Just for a moment."

   "Define the length of a moment." Peter replies wearily. His young face aging several decades in an instant. I never realized just how much he looked like Pops until this very moment.

   "However long I want it to be." I reply with a small grin.

   "Whatever you need, Thomas." Elizabeth answers as she rises to her feet, guiding a few of my siblings out of the room. Peter looks between Alexander and I for a moment before dropping his gaze and following after Elizabeth, leading the remaining stragglers out of the living room. The room falls into silence as Alexander and I remain motionless, his hand pressed to my mouth as I hold him gently in place.

   "There probably won't be much of an opportunity for them to get to know you?" I murmur in question. "Why would you think to say that?"

   "It is a distinct possibility." He answers simply.

   "Are you intending on going somewhere?" A wave of dread crashes against my soul. "Even after everything I had said about you not leaving my sight for a moment and you still think that you can run away from this situation."

"I'm not running away Thomas."

"Then what are you doing?" My patience is beginning to wear thin and I fear that my already strained emotions will reach a dangerous point. Sweat is slicking the palms of my hands as I hold his hand prisoner, my legs trembling slightly as I await his response.

"I'm preparing for when you ask me to leave." He replies calmly, his voice even and unwavering.

 "Don't make this situation anymore difficult than it has to be." I grumble, shaking my head from side to side. "It's already unbearably difficult."

 "That wasn't my intention."

 "Stop replying so calmly! It's freaking me out. You're taking like a fucking robot!" I shake his body slightly with my persistent tugging on his arm. "React! Talk to me like you always do!"

 "You mean a lot to me Thomas, but you have a future with your daughter to think about and I don't want to get in the way of that." His eyes level with mine and I feel an electric current race through my system as his words sink into my brain, staining my memory.

  "You don't want to affect my future?" I grip onto his hand tightly, my knuckles turning a sickly shade of white. "It's a bit too late for that. Me inviting you into my life affected my future, falling in love with you changed my life, you falling for me changed my future, so stop acting like you are some kind of curse." I drop his hand and grab onto the sides of his face, cradling his cheeks in my palms. "People fall in love, they influence one another, they do things that they regret. You made a decision and now we are both paying the consequences for it."

  "Was it really such a bad choice?" He questions. "Bringing another life into the world. Eliza had always wanted a big family. I had robbed her of her love for me, stealing her family from beneath her. I owed her the gift of children." 

   "I never said that children were a mistake." I shake him slightly. "If I thought that I wouldn't be fighting so damn hard to get my baby." His hands come up to cover mine and I find my mind going blank, all words abandoning me as he simply sits there covering my hands with his own. 

   "Did I ever tell you that I had caused Eliza to miscarry?"

   "No." I whisper. 

   "Her distress at my absence during my "affair" had caused her to lose the baby that she was carrying at the time." All life seems to drain from his face. "When I say that I owe her the dream of a big family it is because of that moment. No matter how much time passes or what I have accomplished the memory doesn't fade and I feel the justified weight of responsibility for that despair and pain." 

   "Alex, you can't live the rest of your life trying to pay back some life debt to Eliza." 

   "I can try." 

   "Why didn't you tell me?"

   "I don't know." His lips tremble slightly. "My mind went blank and I just acted. I reverted to who I was before I had established myself here. My actions were based off of survival instincts, and I only thought of giving back to her the life I had unconsciously stolen from her."

   "You've chosen an interesting time to open up." 

   "I don't know why I am telling you all of this." He confesses. "I guess I have just reached my limit. It's all pouring out of me." 

   "I believe you." I run a gentle thumb over the curve of his cheek. "You didn't have to go through that all alone."

   "Isolation is a familiar friend." He murmurs. "Sometimes, it is difficult to remember that I don't have to do everything by myself. I'm sorry." 

   "Shh.." I hush. "No more apologies." 

   "Do you forgive me?"

   "Not yet." I confess. "It is all too soon. I understand the emotions behind your decision, but I haven't been able to accept them yet. There are still other problems I need to sort through before even coming close to broaching that topic." 

   "I understand." 

   "For now, lets just be Thomas and Alexander. Support one another and help each other through this." My heart flutters in my chest as he tilts his head in such a way that he can press a soft kiss to the palm of my left hand. A surge of peace rushes through my system. If anyone can get through this tumultuous time it will be he and I. My anchor in the storm of life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314 57 5
UNDEFINED FEELINGS SERIES BOOK-1 "Four years ago, when my hazel eyes drawn into his blue ones, I knew he wasn't good for me, but I couldn't help fa...
590K 9.1K 87
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
1.5M 145K 26
"You're gonna break up with that boyfriend of yours." He uttered with a deadly calm voice. "I am not gonna do any such thing." I gritted. "Don't ma...
147K 7.4K 16
╰┈➤ ❝ 𝐌𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐞, 𝐌𝐢𝐚 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐩𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐚.❞ ⋆˚✿˖° This is story...