Cupboard Love

By 0O0ooAOoo0O0

In a world where nothing is freely given, how much can they give when there may be nothing for them in return... More

C O P Y R I G H T
C H A P T E R 1
C H A P T E R 2
C H A P T E R 3
C H A P T E R 5
C H A P T E R 6
C H A P T E R 7
C H A P T E R 8
C H A P T E R 9
C H A P T E R 10
C H A P T E R 11
C H A P T E R 12
C H A P T E R 13
C H A P T E R 14
C H A P T E R 15
C H A P T E R 16
C H A P T E R 17
C H A P T E R 18
C H A P T E R 19
C H A P T E R 20
C H A P T E R 21
C H A P T E R 22
C H A P T E R 23
C H A P T E R 24
C H A P T E R 25
C H A P T E R 26
C H A P T E R 27
C H A P T E R 28
C H A P T E R 29
C H A P T E R 30
C H A P T E R 31
C H A P T E R 32
C H A P T E R 33
C H A P T E R 34
C H A P T E R 35
C H A P T E R 36
C H A P T E R 37
C H A P T E R 38
C H A P T E R 39
C H A P T E R 40
C H A P T E R 41
C H A P T E R 42
E P I L O G U E
O T H E R B O O K S

C H A P T E R 4

16.1K 842 257
By 0O0ooAOoo0O0

GONE ONCE, GONE TWICE, SOLD!

RUEN

It was a quarter to six when the car stopped in front of the restaurant and only less than a minute when the car door opened for me. Ignoring Simon's outstretched hand, I let myself out of the car. Whether Simon was embarrassed or irked, I did not know for he hid it well. He turned and led the way inside.

In a matter of minutes, I silently seated myself as I waited for my grandfather and his guests to arrive. As Simon left to check if everything was in order, a waiter approached.

"Is there anything you want, ma'am?" he asked.

'A way out... a new life? I don't think I'm ready for this one.'

"Just water, please," paying no heed to scared little girl in my head, I did my best to smile.

Half an hour has passed when the door finally opened and Simon walked in. A middle-aged couple accompanied him. The man who appeared to be ten years younger than my grandfather was looked dignified but every inch as intimidating. He had his hand in the lower back of his wife who was smiling as she watched her husband interact with Simon.

'Mask in place. Take a deep breath... Never let them see.'

I stood up in a time when they reached our table and Simon made the introductions.

"This is Mr. Seth Evans and his wife, Mrs. Rosaline Evans. Miss Vasquez." Simon said gesturing to me.

Miss Vasquez?

How I hated the name.

Presenting my best mask, I shook Mr. Evans's hand, "I am Ruen Vasquez. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Evans," turning to his wife, I offered the same, "and Mrs. Evans."

"The pleasure is all ours, Ruen," Mrs. Evans said.

We took our places by the table as Simon explained that last-minute meeting held my grandfather back but he would be joining us after dinner

"Oh, it's fine. Work got my daughter running late for tonight too." Mr. Evans said apologetically.

As if on cue, Mrs. Evans's phone rang. She excused herself and answered the phone. While she was gone, Mr. Evans and I talked. He told me about his daughter who graduated in business administration but sadly, according to him, she chose to be an actress instead of taking over their family business.

"She's got her mother's beauty and my strength of character," he said, smiling proudly, "I hope you'll like each other. Get to know each other before the wedding."

'What wedding?'

Hearing this, I looked at Simon who averted his eyes.

'So' this is what it's all aboutmy grandfather has finally found a good use for his 'abnormal' granddaughter.'

Before anyone else cleared things up, Mrs. Evans was back moments later as the waiters served the entrée. However, she was not alone. Walking beside her was a woman in her late 20's or early 30's. Her blonde hair fell a little below her shoulders and her black knee-length dress brought out her striking pale blue eyes. She looked familiar and I did know why.

"There she is!" Mr. Evans said as they approached our table. He stood to greet his daughter and I followed suit knowing that introductions were in order as I was supposed to spend the remaining days of my wretched existence with her. Grandfather commanded it and I had to obey.

I could be miserable on my own but I wouldn't mind being miserable with you.

Pale blue eyes locked on mine as Mrs. Evans said, "Ruen, dear, this is my daughter, Amelia."

"It's lovely to meet you, Ruen," she said, giving me the once over as she offered her hand to me. "I am Amelia Evans."

"Ruen Vasquez."

Amelia EvansLia, the famous actress.

I took her hand for a shake; however, to my surprise, she bent and placed a kiss at the back of my hand.

Let me rephrase that. She's Lia, the famous and 'very straight' actress!

What in the world were they thinking?

Instead of being embarrassed, I was enraged. I closed my eyes to hide my anger and took a deep breath.

Civility was okay.

Indifference, that, I am very familiar with but not this feigning affection!

The affection I couldn't elicit from my woman coming from someone I didn't even know rubbed me the wrong way.

However, I knew that no matter how sordid the reason, it all boiled down to because I was 'needed'.

Opening my eyes, I smiled and said, "Glad to meet you, Amelia."

No. I was a commodity they were acquiring.

We made idle talk as we ate our dinner. It was pleasant and I made no effort to participate unless spoken to directly. The servers were clearing out plates when my grandfather arrived. I stood as Mr. Evans introduced his daughter to the great tycoon.

His outward pride as he presented his daughter tugged at my broken heartstrings. The words 'some strings in the heart are never meant to be touched' never felt truer than this moment. I was the Vasquez' guarded secret and that meant no one knew who I was.

"Good to finally meet you, Amelia. I presume you have met my granddaughter," my grandfather said.

I smiled as Amelia's gaze locked on mine, "Yes, Mr. Vasquez. You have a beautiful granddaughter."

Well, fame preceded her. She's a good actress. She could sell him the idea that I was man in woman's body and he'd flat out believe her.

Seeing Amelia smiling as she looked at me, my grandfather nodded at me finally convinced that I had been properly trained for the occasion and, therefore, did nothing to derail his plans.

"I'm sure you are aware of why you are here, Amelia," my grandfather said, "and you have no objections, I believe?"

'Objections? Anyone care to ask me?'

I have but oh well, you just didn't care!

"I came here knowing full well the reason and I can tell you, I can't wait to marry your wonderful granddaughter."

She's laying it on a little too thick and my insides knotted.

Desserts served—chocolate mousse!

Thank goodness for the powers that be! At least I get to have something I truly wanted in this mess of a set-up.

At this moment, I decided to retreat in my head, content to savor my treat as they decided 'my' or rather 'our future'.

Well, wasn't it just dandy? I'm an extension of the great Vasquez Empirea means to an end where both parties benefit other than me.

"The wedding will be held in our newly opened hotel, Casa Azul, this Saturday," Mr. Evans said.

"Oh, isn't it great, darling?" Mrs. Evans exclaimed, looking to her daughter and then to me for affirmation. I tried my best to look anything other than appalled. I mustered a half-hearted smile that convinced her nothing was wrong.

'Everything's greatas long as it's not your life they're toying with, peachy!'

"How are the preparations, Simon?" my grandfather asked.

"Everything's already set. Planned and organized as instructed," Simon said.

'Great! We just have to show up.'

"Amelia, darling, would you like to spend time with Ruen before the wedding?" her mother asks, "I, for one, would like to have her tomorrow morning for dress-fitting," she said.

'Well, if you cared to ask me, I just want to lie down and die before the wedding.'

"Yes, that would be a great way to know more about each other." my grandfather agreed.

Yeah, let's get to know each other two frigging days before the wedding.

That'll make it better.

"It would absolutely be a delight to spend a day with you, Ruen!" Amelia addressed me. Unlike the elders, she was eager to hear me

'An impeccable act 'straight' from the famous Ms. Amelialet me hear a round of applause ladies and gentlemen!'

Dinner concluded, we stood outside as Mr. and Mrs. Evans bid my grandfather farewell.

As the door closed, Simon turned to me and said, "I'm sorry, Ms. Ruen," turning to Mr. and Mrs. Evans, "My apologies, I'd have to trouble you Mr. Evans to take the young miss with you and drop her off at her condo for sadly, I'd have to go with Mr. Vasquez."

You couldn't look so sad to me even if you try, Simon!

The reason why I was not to drive here was that they didn't want me to have an escape car.

'Well played, sir!'

"Oh, no trouble at all, Simon," Mr. Evans could only be too happy to offer his daughter as my chauffeur, "Lia would drive her home."

"Thank you, Mr. Evans. Ms. Ruen, again my apologies. Thank you, Ms. Amelia." After having said this, Simon turned, entered the car, and drove off. Mr. and Mrs. Evan said goodbye to us and left as well.

"Well then, shall we?" Amelia said as she opened the passenger door.

I said, "Thank you." before entering her car.

Before we reached the main road, she asks, "So, where to?" looking to me for directions.

I gave her the address of the condo I stayed in for the last seven months. We drove in silence for a couple of minutes.

"How do you feel about the wedding," she asked.

"Surprised, I suppose. Nonetheless, I understand that it has to be done." I replied. "I should be asking you that question."

She stopped at the red light and regarded me with a look that tried to read me but failed so she kept quiet instead.

"It might affect your career in light of the fact that you are undoubtedly straight." I pressed, "Darling of showbiz, Amelia."

Amusement twinkled in her eyes as she regarded me, "Well, well, well. And here I thought you were mute."

It was my turn to remain silent and waited for her to answer.

"Now I know you are not, to answer your question—yes, I am straight and yes, it might affect my career and my upcoming movie. But, as they say, our bed was made, whether we like it or not, we have to lie in it."

'We're going to burn on it. There it goes, folks, I've just been sold!'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.3K 429 22
Story about two girls who have met in the bathroom at Marie's party. What will happen? Will these two strangers fall in love with each other?šŸ¤­
101K 2.8K 42
My best friend or my old sneak link? School or money? Peace or revenge? Love or Hate?
11.2K 579 20
'Is that how a moth feels as it flies to the fire? She'll burn your wings, honey. Your heart will dry. Don't come any closer.' - Catherine * * * Some...
204K 6.6K 62
my update scheduled will be wacky, thanks for baring with me. tw: this story does touch on mature topics such a abuse, depression, and suicide. --REW...